What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Bryan Adams is playing in Cleveland tonight, there are a bunch of stans here at my corner bar. Quite a rowdy crew. I’m calling dibs for Dock Ock to do him next

There was a band on my suburban block the other day, which was odd (my neighborhood is not a block party neighborhood. It has a strict HOA. For another time, I suppose). Anyway, I could hear them clear as a bell in my yard. For some odder reason than existing and being in my neighborhood, they busted into "Heaven" and the crowd all started singing along. I thought it was supremely odd at that point. First off, to be in a band and decide to learn to play Bryan Adams's "Heaven." Secondly, for the crowd to start singing along.

Maybe a resurgence in the old balladeering career of Bryan Adams???

I dunno...
I dug it, when I was 12. Dope video at the dawn of videos

That's cool. I think I disliked it then, but I might be a year or two older than you. I know, I know, I seem so young *sighs*. I just remember thinking the song was treacle, though that wasn't the word I used to describe it then.

I'll tell you what, though. The other day? Stuck right in the old cranium, that's for sure.

When you're lying here in my arms
It isn't so hard to believe, we're in heaven

In that rough-hewn voice of his.

Oh schnap, I would have been eleven when that song was big. Huh. We're about the same age, then.

Let that guitar solo rip all over Cleveland tonight!!

I had Reckless on cassette. I had not yet gotten into the good stuff. But he was doing something a little bit his own

Flash forward many lifetimes and it is definitely Olds Night on the strip

I wish I could still go to bars.

Okay, I'm Hippling. I haven't gotten to the twenty-eights because I've been swamped with stuff. Warning was an underrated Green Day album and we've had two off of it so far. The other stuff I'll have to look at to weigh in on. Or I'll probably just wait for 27s tonight.

Flash forward many lifetimes and it is definitely Olds Night on the strip

I missed Cleveland talk earlier, but it's a pretty cool city if you're looking for ways to be entertained. The flats (?) were interesting. I was in town about two-plus decades ago for a Red Sox series in late May. I remember the heat and getting sunburned. I remember the Sox sweeping and loving it. But I remember going out and having a pretty good time with my girlfriend at the time. It also will go down as the time I drank the whole hotel bar from the fridge, ran up a bill, and watched Rushmore on the television at the hotel, with the movie utterly blowing my mind, especially the montage with Creation's "Making Time" in the background. That was like a bolt out of the blue.

Okay, I'm Hippling. I haven't gotten to the twenty-eights because I've been swamped with stuff. Warning was an underrated Green Day album and we've had two off of it so far. The other stuff I'll have to look at to weigh in on. Or I'll probably just wait for 27s tonight.
I still go to the bar from time to time but I think what I miss isn't going to bars, it's being 21-30 years old and going to bars.

I still go to the bar from time to time but I think what I miss isn't going to bars, it's being 21-30 years old and going to bars.
For most people, there comes a time when your body/mind/spirit says NOPE to the bar scene. For me it was around 35 because I was married for the second half of my 20s so I guess I had “reserve” built up.

@Raging weasel , you have sold a Clutch album! We are in. Thank you.

Also, I really didn't think anyone would care about the Slade tunes. I'm very glad some of you like them.
Nice! Have you started listening to their stuff on your own or just liked all you've heard so far?
My next 5 picks feature a couple more style/sound changes including their early punk metal days so may lose luster for some.
Also enjoying your Slade picks,knew very little of them before this .
We sampled most of Book of Bad Decisions. Groovy. We are waiting to see what comes next.
Yeah, I had to put in a request for Book of Bad Decisions. I had some time to skim the discussion without really listening to much, but after I saw the title "In Walks Barbarella" I simply had to find out what the heck was going on. Loved the funk, and when spotify started the next song on the album it was,,, quite different. Stylistically, these dudes are all over the map - in a good way. So far, I've heard some funk, some blues, a little Sabbath, a little Soundgarden, a little I have no idea what the hell I just listened to but I know it like it ("Gone Cold"). I'll be continuing to tune in here just to see where this rabbit hole goes. Thanks, @Raging weasel !
There are a couple more tracks from that album on my countdown (up?) but not until after 3 more style changes.
And thanks to you 2 for listening and hope you like most of the remaining tracks!

I like the pace of the reveals. I can make it through everything shuffling through the playlist while walking Lou.

I'm getting better at recognizing the artists based solely on the song's intro. The only one of the #28s that I couldn't figure out even after a verse and chorus was the Phish song. I wasn't expecting to hear a Sonics cover, especially by Heart but I guess there's a Seattle connection. Chicago should have probably sent Sly Stone a royalty check but he would have just blown it.

For most people, there comes a time when your body/mind/spirit says NOPE to the bar scene. For me it was around 35 because I was married for the second half of my 20s so I guess I had “reserve” built up.
Yeah, if I do the bar now it;s early. After work drink with friends or Saturday lunch/early dinner. I want to avoid "the scene".

mt man your list is interesting. no layne at all? ok man interesting method to your madness.

It's probably not much of a secret that songs with Layne will dominate the overall list. There's just a small clump of newer stuff at the higher numbers. #27, which will be posted later today, will be a Layne song. No one will agree with everything, but hopefully you'll enjoy the path the list takes!

Damon Albarn Song #28

The Good, the Bad and the Queen - "The Poison Tree" from Merriland (2018)

Albarn must have had it with one word band names because he gave his third group a name that's a mouthful. TGTBATQ is a supergroup of sorts with Simon Tong of the Verve on guitar, Clash bassist Paul Simonon and Afrobeat legend Tony Allen on drums. They made two albums, a self-titled recording in 2007 and Merriland eleven years later.

Merriland is supposedly Albarn's post-Brexit statement. It's mostly a somber affair with lyrics that reference loss and past glories. "The Poison Tree" closes the album with an exquisitely sad breakup song. I guess you could insert the UK and EU in there somewhere but there's no need to. I love how Tony Allen's drumming snakes its way around the melody and strings. His death in 2020 at the age of 79 probably puts an end to the band. This song is a lovely send-off if that's the case.

I probably should have thrown more bangers at the start of the Albarn 31 but I found myself gravitating to the melancholy ones when I did my deep dive. This song is a good example; I listened to Merriland when it came out but it didn't blow me away. It's grown on me since.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/1QfeZxMrapvHtqYZhBfF9M?si

Live at Rock Werchter 2019

Yeah, if I do the bar now it;s early. After work drink with friends or Saturday lunch/early dinner. I want to avoid "the scene".
I'm old. The only time I go to bars is when I'm out of town/on vacation (usually with my wife and one or both of our daughters :lol:) or before a show with my concert-going friends. So, not that often.

Some favorites from the 29s:

ToD, Daft Punk, Stevie W., Ray Charles and the Hip.

Bryan Adams is playing in Cleveland tonight, there are a bunch of stans here at my corner bar. Quite a rowdy crew. I’m calling dibs for Dock Ock to do him next

There was a band on my suburban block the other day, which was odd (my neighborhood is not a block party neighborhood. It has a strict HOA. For another time, I suppose). Anyway, I could hear them clear as a bell in my yard. For some odder reason than existing and being in my neighborhood, they busted into "Heaven" and the crowd all started singing along. I thought it was supremely odd at that point. First off, to be in a band and decide to learn to play Bryan Adams's "Heaven." Secondly, for the crowd to start singing along.

Maybe a resurgence in the old balladeering career of Bryan Adams???

I dunno...
I’ll have to pass. I did see him play the big hit song from the Robin Hood soundtrack on the David Letterman show.

Last month Bryan Adams headlined the arena where the Warriors play. I'm surprised he's still playing big venues outside of Canada. He hasn't had a big US hit in almost 30 years but he's still quite popular in the UK for some reason.

Playlist...

#27-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatThe Seven Rays
Jorge Ben JorDon QuixoteRita Jeep

Brandi CarlileJB Breakfast ClubMama Werewolf
https://open.spotify.com/track/3prWmTfS6HnvkKgezSQFJO?si=09f7a0626a3c42ac
The PoliceZegras11It's Allright for You
Modest MouseThe Dreaded MarcoFloat On
GenesisYo MamaDusk
Stevie Ray VaughanSullieStang's Swang
The Decemberistskupcho1We All Die Young
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of DeadplinkoAll Who Wander
X: The Godless Void And Other Stories (2020)
The KinksGalileoState of Confusion (1983 - State of Confusion)
RushhigginsThe Pass
Sigur RósScoresmanÁgætis byrjun (A Good Beginning) - Ágætis byrjun - 1999
Donald FagenCharlie Steiner
Green DayMAC_32Knowledge (and Radio)
Big ThiefIlov80sForgotten Eyes
Daft PunkrockactionFace To Face
Taylor SwiftJpalmer
Elliott SmithTuffnuttComing Up Roses

ChicagoPip's InvitationPoem 58
The StranglersJohn Maddens LunchboxGoodbye Toulouse
Ryan AdamsDr. OctopusNew York, New York
Stevie WonderUruk-HaiIf You Really Love Me
SladeMrs. RannousDo The Dirty
PhishshukeMy Friend My Friend
Electgric Light Orchestra (ELO)jwbEvil Woman
Frank BlackMister CIAThe End Of Miles
ClutchRaging WeaselBacchanal
Dinosaur Jr.KarmaPoliceSludgefeast
Warren ZevonworrierkingMSFU
His final three albums were about encroaching decrepitude and inevitable demise. I hope Tipper Gore likes this one.
Alice in ChainsMt. ManGet Born Again
QueensnellmanWas It All Worth It
AC/DCfalguyT.N.T.
The Hold SteadscorchyConstructive Summer
Damon AlbarnEephusBlur --- All Your Life
Ray Charlessimey
Doveslandrys hatPrisoners
SpoonHov34No Bullets Spent

Foo FightersJust Win BabyEnd Over End
Simon & Garfunkelzamboni"The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine"
Bruce SpringsteenDrIanMalcolmTrapped
The ProdigytitusbrambleYou'll Be Under My Wheels
Bauhausotb_liferDancing
HeartDoug BI Want You So Bad
The Tragically HipNorthern VoiceSo Hard Done By
deadmau5zazaleSeeya
Elton JohntimschochetThe Greatest Discovery

Last edited:
#27 State of Confusion (1983 - State of Confusion)

1983…freshman year of high school and a significant formative period for me musically. I owned the cassette of this album and used to crank this one up on my boom box! Let us not forget MTV was geared up by this time, so videos were a thing making this song more accessible as well. Problems, problems, problems…nothing but frustration in this one and that mood is conveyed early on with Ray’s tormented scream. The guitar work here is reminiscent of a few popular early Kinks songs that will make their appearance later in my countdown.

Woke up in a panic,
Like somebody fired a gun
I wish I could be dreaming,
But the nightmare's just begun.
There's flooding in the basement,
There's water all around.
There's woodworm in the attic
And the ceiling just fell down.
I'm in a state (state)
Of confusion (whooooh).
I'm in a state (state)
Of confusion (whooooh).

All the dirty dishes
Are still in the kitchen sink.
The tumble dryer's broken,
Now the telly's on the blink.
My girlfriend's packed her bags
And moved out to another town.
She couldn't stand the boredom
When the video broke down.
Don't know why I feel so bad.
Is it the weather, or am I going mad?
Don't know why I feel this way.
I don't know whether I'm coming or I'm going,
Can't cover up 'cause it's obviously showing.
It's a state (state)
Of confusion (whooooh).
We're in a state (state)
Of confusion (whooooh).
I don't know whether I'm coming or I'm going.

Should feel happy, should feel glad.
I'm alive and it can't be bad,
But back on planet Earth they shatter the illusion,
The world's going 'round in a state of confusion.

Standing on an island
In the middle of the road.
Traffic either side of me,
Which way will I go?
I should've stayed at home,
I should have never come outside.
Now I wish I never tried
To cross the other side.
I'm in a state (state)
State of confusion (whooooh).
It's a state (state)
Of confusion (whooooh).

Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat,
Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get.
No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.
State of confusion I'm in.
Whooooh

My favorites from the 28s:

Hard Way Home--not super familiar with Brandi Carlile but liking what I've heard so far and I like some other artists in her wheelhouse, probably influenced by her. Need more.
Home By The Sea---this and That's All from an earlier list are very nostalgic for me. I heard that album so many times in '83/'84. Good memories.
Paul---like I said upthread, this is my favorite song by Big Thief. It jumped off the speakers and grabbed me the first time I heard it. So great.
Winding Wheel--one my favorites from RA
Billy Breathes--enjoyed another song from Phish. Should've been listening before now.
Do I Have To Talk You Into It---first duplicate from my 31 and I love the other 3. Anything You Want would've wound up in my top 31 after revisions, though.

#27 Genesis - Dusk

Album - Tresspass
Year - 1970

Now for a definite change of pace from my previous couple songs (and why my personal playlist will be sorted chronologically rather than by ranking).

This album was the last to include guitarist Anthony Phillips, and the last without Phil Collins. It’s crazy to think most of these guys were only around 20 when they made this.

I’m a sucker for the more dreamy/pastoral songs on the Genesis catalog, and this definitely fits the bill - with overlapping 12-string guitars by Phillips and Rutherford.

Love the lyrics in this, capped off at the end with:

A pawn on a chessboard
A false move by God will now destroy me
But wait, on the horizon
A new dawn seems to be rising
Never to recall this passerby, born to die

Foo FightersJust Win BabyEnd Over End

This is the first of 6 songs I chose off the album In Your Honor, which is a double album. While the album and its songs were nominated for 5 Grammys, it didn't win any, which was a bit of a surprise IMO, even moreso in hindsight.

About the album, from Wikipedia:

Grohl decided against an acoustic record, saying "I have to have loud rock music in my life somewhere", and decided to make a double album, with "one CD that's all the really heavy rock ****" and another "that's really beautiful, acoustic-based, lower dynamic stuff", which Grohl described as "the bottle and the hangover"...

After the album was finished, Grohl stated that he hoped that the Foo Fighters were most remembered for this record. He described it as "just the most ****ing kick-*** thing we've ever done" and said, "If someone asked me which Led Zeppelin album to buy, I would tell them Physical Graffiti, because it has such a wide dynamic and it shows the range that band had. And that's what we wanted to do with this album."

I don't think the album is Physical Graffiti, but I love it.

As for this song, IGN described it this way:

Scratchy guitar lures you into the wondrous chug of "End Over End," which is just a great, plain rock song filled with enthusiastic vocals and a tight cohesion of the band. It's a bit generic, in the spine-tingling arena rock vein, but by the same token it's also a fist waving, lighter swaying burner.

Last edited:
27 - Jorge Ben Jor - Rita Jeep

The “Rita” that is the subject of Rita Jeep is Brazil’s “Queen of Rock”: the late, great Rita Lee. Jorge Ben wrote this when he was touring with Os Mutantes (who some may remember from the Worldwide countdown), and is a bit of an ode to her. Rita Lee was a founding member of Os Mutantes before going on to have a very successful solo career. As I was taking a look for some Rita Lee nuggets that may want to share in this thread, I came across the news stories that she passed away last month. Obituary here if interested in learning more about her. So, consider this post an RIP to Rita Lee.

I’ll add that this won’t be the last Os Mutantes connection in my countdown…

Last edited:
27 - Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun (A Good Beginning) - Ágætis byrjun - 1999

The list's first song off their acclaimed second album, this is the title track. The song, which translates to " A Good Beginning", is written about the experience and ultimate disappointment of releasing their first album Von.

This is a more intimate, acoustic song, different from the rest of the album.

A wonderful live version was included in their concert film. In fact I kind of regret not including this version on the playlist as I find it superior to the studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtTJBEi3RIM

Lyrics: http://www.alwaysontherun.net/sigur.htm#a9

27. Get Born Again (B side, here off Music Bank. 1999)

I choose the day,
one damp and gray
Thick fog that hide our smiles

(Official Video) Alice In Chains - Get Born Again

“Get Born Again” was actually released twice in 1999, appearing on Nothing Safe: Best of the Box (a greatest hits album) in June, and then on Music Bank in October. It, along with “Died” (which, spoiler, did not make the list) were the last two songs recorded with Layne. Anyway, for me this song very much has a rhythmic element, where the guitar and bass do a lot of work while the words almost hang in the background.

Next in the countdown, you should watch your head.

There was a band on my suburban block the other day, which was odd. (My neighborhood is not a block party neighborhood. It has a strict HOA. For another time, I suppose.) Anyway, I could hear them clear as a bell in my yard. For some odder reason than existing and being in my neighborhood, they busted into "Heaven" and the crowd all started singing along. I thought it was supremely odd at that point. First off, to be in a band and decide to learn to play Bryan Adams's "Heaven." Secondly, for the crowd to start singing along.
Would have been much cooler if they had played Heaven by Warrant instead.

Feeling that exact thing right now.

My father was visiting for my kid's HS graduation and I drove him the 3-plus hours home this morning. I checked my work email when I dropped him off and suddenly my afternoon had been filled with Zoom calls that I couldn't take on the road. So I checked in early to the Courtyard Marriott in my hometown, planning to work till 5 then go get food and bar hop at some of my old haunts. Instead, I watched the end of the Phillies game on my laptop, decided I didn't feel like driving anywhere so walked over to the Outback across the parking lot, had some cheese fries and one beer, and am now back in the room ready to fall asleep at 8:45 pm. Getting old sucks. But at least I won't wake up hung over.

Oh, and I'm still only half-way through the 28s, Maybe I'll get stuck in traffic on the drive back tomorrow and have time to finish it and the 27s.

The Decemberists
#27 We All Die Young

Certain to be the feel-good song of the #27 playlist, We All Die Young is off the to be honest, not that all well received 2018 release I'll Be Your Girl. I liked this release of digital files (as you'll see two more tunes pop up on the countdown later on down the line). I thought Pitchfork summed it up quite nicely:

Since hitting peak fancifulness on 2009’s The Hazards of Love, the Decemberists have streamlined their music into something more direct and less fussy. Rather than carry on like the world’s most overqualified LARP convention house band, :biggrin: they’ve adopted a nomadic approach, running with whatever muse that presents itself at the moment.

“We All Die Young” sets a dopey Jock Jams beat to a Kidz Bop cheer-along.

I can't argue with that. But I will say it's done in the best possible way. Hope you enjoy it!

New York, New York - What a pleasant surprise! My favorite Ryan Adams so far...personal playlist material. I am not sure what I was expecting. Part of me thought we might be getting a Minnelli/Sinatra cover.

Thoughts on the 28s
  • Mama Werewolf is really good, I might need to go back and give the previous Carlile songs another spin
  • Surprised Float On was so low, just overplayed??
  • State of Confusion is such a jam, great choice
  • End of Miles is one of my favorite new to me songs of this round
  • My $hit's F-----d Up was going to be my Zevon pick for the alphabet draft we just did
  • This Blur song sounds very much like an attempt at Bowie
  • Sludgefest went way harder than the previous Dino Jr numbers, another insta-love.
  • Drown in My Own Tears is superb, can't wait for the full Ray list
  • Prisoners is another fave new to me from this playlist
  • Dancing (y)
  • I Want You So Bad- this a new Heart to me, smooth stuff

Interesting to see one of my favorite Modest Mouse songs come in at 28.
I didn't sequence them by rank---my #31 and #29 are in my top 5-7 favorites.

I tried to sequence them for playlist purposes. This would've been a bit higher if I was ranking, but not by a lot. Still a great song.

I kinda wish I'd just listed them by rank.

Float On is #26?

I'm a casual MM fan so maybe I've been sleeping through their catalog. Looking forward to the next 26. :thumbup:
I've said this 2 or 3 times. You even thumbs upped that explanation I gave above a couple days ago.

Now I really wish I'd just ranked them in order. But, I actually do like several Modest Mouse songs more than Float On :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread