What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

If it's been going on for a month then it's not acute appendicitis.
Doesn't work that way. I had symptoms for about six weeks before it blew up on me. Also, chronic appendicitis is a thing.

Feel better, Pip.

Learned something new today. I did not know it could happen like that - I always thought it was a more immediate thing like mine was. Everyone else I knew who got theirs out was similar - like a day or two, then out. That must have been a lousy six weeks. Did they know it was the appendix during your symptoms? Or was it one of those "something's up but not going to the doctor quite yet".
I did go to the doctor. I spent a couple of days in the Quack Shack because I felt so bad. (I was in college.) But those symptoms are often very non-specific. It kept happening on and off for a few weeks until it went critical. My friend's dad had symptoms for about six months before his appendix burst while he was walking down his driveway. He almost died from the subsequent peritonitis. Such fun.
Damn. That sounds awful.

Chronic appendicitis is almost unheard of in children, which is who I evaluate and treat every day. I've never seen it in 30 years of practice/120,000-ish patient encounters (granted, I'm not a pediatric surgeon or ER physician).

It's fairly rare in adults too. That's a tricky diagnosis, especially without early imaging tests.

Damon Albarn Song #27

Blur - "All Your Life" non-album track (1997)

As others have noted, this is Blur sounding very Bowiesque. I hear a lot of Bowie's "Oh! You Pretty Things" in the verse along with an ascending line that reminds me a bit of the Beatles.

Perhaps that's why the song didn't make the cut for Blur's self-titled album. Another song that did "M.O.R." sounded enough like Bowie's "Boys Keep Swinging" for Bowie and Eno to get a composition credit after legal action.

Plagiarism aside, I think Bowie is probably Damon's closest Classic Rock analogue. Albarn has never been a fashion plate; he's pretty much always been the bloke in the bomber jacket and t-shirt. But the way he's kept his styles in motion and something about the way he's used his cartoon avatar in Gorillaz remind me of Bowie more than anyone.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/7eOO2gneMlcKgv8Ql3z72d

Albarn performing "All Your Life" w/out Blur in 2014

I killed JZilla's gall bladder with thermonuclear wings maybe a dozen years ago. I'm sure it must have been pretty far gone already but I guess the insanely hot wing sauce was the final straw. All I know is that when I left his apartment at 1 am, he was slightly drunk, a bit heart-burned, and playing cards with Smoo. The next morning, I get the call that an ambulance took him for a ride around 5 am and he was now gall bladderless.

Thoprawishes, @Pip's Invitation
Did you get them at Bill Bateman's? Are those places even around anymore?
The one in Severna Park closed down and is now something called JB's
That's where the Gingerbread Man used to be, right? On Ritchie Hwy? I know there was one somewhere in Reisterstown, another in Clarksville out in Howard County, and one in Hanover, PA. I know this because I drank like a fish in all of them.
I’m not sure, about the Gingerbread man.. it’s a large shopping center on Ritchie hwy… this is my kids’ stomping grounds, and there’s a ton of new and not so new restaurants and bars around there for sure.
Scorchy’s death wings came from a small pizza type shop in Catonsville, IIRC. Those were about the hottest I ever had.

I'm not too familiar with diverticulitis, but now that it has been diagnosed I hope you the treatment yields good health.

Had a similar experience 12-15 years ago. Was having some strange, kind of dull pain in my lower abdomen. It was a Saturday night and I diagnosed myself with appendicitis (thanks, internet), so I drove to the ER. Turns out I was constipated and I was prescribed magnesium citrate and dulcolax.
LOL when I was maybe 12 or 13 I woke up in the middle of the night with gut wrenching pain- was screaming for my parents. They rushed me to ER. The ER doctors were so worried they put on ambulance to a bigger hospital thinking something was ruptured and I would need an emergency operation. I was just in terrible pain. About 10 minutes after being at the hospital, I let out a couple farts and miraculously felt fine. Doctors said it can happen sometimes that gas gets trapped and puts an incredible amount of pressure on your insides. It was so embarrassing.

I did go to the doctor. I spent a couple of days in the Quack Shack because I felt so bad. (I was in college.) But those symptoms are often very non-specific. It kept happening on and off for a few weeks until it went critical. My friend's dad had symptoms for about six months before his appendix burst while he was walking down his driveway. He almost died from the subsequent peritonitis. Such fun.
My Uncle Bill died in 2009 after an appendectomy. He was playing golf when his appendix burst. He had a gangrenous appendix and had an appendectomy. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery. Two days later his abdomen was extended, he had bad gas and pain, and he was nauseous. He called the surgeon's office, and the nurse told him to drink Gingerale and take a stool softener. The next day he was throwing up a lot of green bile. The next day he went back to the hospital, and they did a CT scan and some xrays, and it showed lots of gas in his intestines. The surgeon said he would come in, but he never showed. They gave my uncle fluids, and then sent him home even though he still felt very sick, his potassium level was extremely low, and his abdomen was still very extended. He had bad stomach pains and the squirts. The next morning my Aunt found him on the bathroom floor dead.

The pathologist said that there was gas and lots of fluids in his stomach. There was fluid and blood in his lungs. He had peritonitis where his appendix was. The pathologist said he had never seen an abdomen that extended before. There were so many complications, but sepsis killed him.

There were a lot of things that should have been done, and a huge thing was he was never given antibiotics. My Aunt sued the surgeon/hospital for medical malpractice/negligence. They settled with her. My Aunt Brenda (Uncle Bill's widow) said not long ago (to my mom) that the surgeon that operated on Uncle Bill has had other lawsuits filed against him from med mal deaths, and he was arrested for selling drugs out of his car and house. He is going to prison (and hell).

I’m not sure, about the Gingerbread man.. it’s a large shopping center on Ritchie hwy… this is my kids’ stomping grounds, and there’s a ton of new and not so new restaurants and bars around there for sure.
Scorchy’s death wings came from a small pizza type shop in Catonsville, IIRC. Those were about the hottest I ever had.
Wings, Things, and More. Those thermonuclear wings are ridiculous.

By the way, feel free to tell folks about my prostate issues since I blabbed about your gall bladder... We're all old men/friends here.*

ETA - sorry, and a few ladies as well, who I would never even remotely imply are old.

Last edited:
27s--some new favorites:

Rita Jeep--this is my favorite from Jorge thus far.
The Pass--was this a radio hit? It's very familiar but I had my Rush kick in '81-'82, definitely not in '89. I like this song.
Agaetis byrjun (lazy spelling)---this is my favorite album from them with 3 even more favorite songs that I hope to hear later.
Goodbye Toulouse---I think Julian Casablancas may also be a fan. Love this song.

My Uncle Bill died in 2009 after an appendectomy. He was playing golf when his appendix burst. He had a gangrenous appendix and had an appendectomy. The surgeon released him from the hospital the same day as the surgery. Two days later his abdomen was extended, he had bad gas and pain, and he was nauseous. He called the surgeon's office, and the nurse told him to drink Gingerale and take a stool softener. The next day he was throwing up a lot of green bile. The next day he went back to the hospital, and they did a CT scan and some xrays, and it showed lots of gas in his intestines. The surgeon said he would come in, but he never showed. They gave my uncle fluids, and then sent him home even though he still felt very sick, his potassium level was extremely low, and his abdomen was still very extended. He had bad stomach pains and the squirts. The next morning my Aunt found him on the bathroom floor dead.

The pathologist said that there was gas and lots of fluids in his stomach. There was fluid and blood in his lungs. He had peritonitis where his appendix was. The pathologist said he had never seen an abdomen that extended before. There were so many complications, but sepsis killed him.

There were a lot of things that should have been done, and a huge thing was he was never given antibiotics. My Aunt sued the surgeon/hospital for medical malpractice/negligence. They settled with her. My Aunt Brenda (Uncle Bill's widow) said not long ago (to my mom) that the surgeon that operated on Uncle Bill has had other lawsuits filed against him from med mal deaths, and he was arrested for selling drugs out of his car and house. He is going to prison (and hell).

Wow, that is an extreme story of what sounds like malpractice/negligence to me. Sorry for your family.

Some of you know that my wife is disabled and we have been dealing with serious medical issues for her for more than 30 years. We have seen a lot. It is disturbing what a broad spectrum of care there is for any given issue/condition, i.e., how bad care can be vs. how good it can be. We have experienced this for a variety of medical issues for her. We know from experience how dependent the patient and family is on the care they get in the moment... I mean, how likely is it that you or your family would contradict the doctor? For the most part, you are forced to trust them. It is unconscionable how often that results in poor healthcare.

I killed JZilla's gall bladder with thermonuclear wings maybe a dozen years ago. I'm sure it must have been pretty far gone already but I guess the insanely hot wing sauce was the final straw. All I know is that when I left his apartment at 1 am, he was slightly drunk, a bit heart-burned, and playing cards with Smoo. The next morning, I get the call that an ambulance took him for a ride around 5 am and he was now gall bladderless.

Thoprawishes, @Pip's Invitation
Did you get them at Bill Bateman's? Are those places even around anymore?
The one in Severna Park closed down and is now something called JB's
That's where the Gingerbread Man used to be, right? On Ritchie Hwy? I know there was one somewhere in Reisterstown, another in Clarksville out in Howard County, and one in Hanover, PA. I know this because I drank like a fish in all of them.
Scorchy’s Death Wings would be a good name for a metal band.

Wings, Things, and More. Those thermonuclear wings are ridiculous.

By the way, feel free to tell folks about my prostate issues since I blabbed about your gall bladder... We're all old men/friends here.*

ETA - sorry, and a few ladies as well, who I would never even remotely imply are old.
I had a PSA test this week (family history of prostate cancer). At least that was normal.

how likely is it that you or your family would contradict the doctor?
I see you don't know me that well. Although it does explain why a medical advocate is a really good idea.
I would if it came to that because of my profession. And I did when my mother-in-law was in her last months (actually, my wife did, but I told her what to say.) But most people don't feel confident enough to do that, which is why medical advocates serve a good purpose.

#26's PLAYLIST
#26-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatParallel Lines
Jorge Ben JorDon QuixoteMeus Filhos, Meu Tesouro

Brandi CarlileJB Breakfast ClubCarried Me With You - Onward Soundtrack
The PoliceZegras11Reggatta De Blanc
Modest MouseThe Dreaded MarcoCustom Concern
GenesisYo MamaBehind the Lines
Stevie Ray VaughanSullieThe House Is Rockin
The Decemberistskupcho1Sunshine
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of DeadplinkoSummer of All Dead Souls
Tao Of The Dead (2010)
The KinksGalileoPowerman (1970 - Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part1)
RushhigginsThe Spirit of Radio
Sigur RósScoresmanSvo Hljott (So Quietly) - Takk - 2005
Donald FagenCharlie Steiner
Green DayMAC_32King For A Day (Shout)
Big ThiefIlov80sBlurred View
Daft Punk rockactionHuman After All
Taylor SwiftJpalmerthe 1
Elliott SmithTuffnuttPlainclothes Man

ChicagoPip's InvitationFancy Colours
The StranglersJohn Maddens LunchboxPrincess of the Streets
Ryan AdamsDr. OctopusLucky Now
Stevie WonderUruk-HaiSomeday At Christmas
SladeMrs. RannousDid Ya Mama Ever Tell Ya
PhishshukeTweezer
Electgric Light Orchestra (ELO)jwbLivin' Thing
Frank BlackMister CIAStars
Clutch Raging Weasel Our Lady of Electric Light
Dinosaur Jr. KarmaPolice Mick
Warren ZevonworrierkingI'll Sleep When I'm Dead
When WZ began recording his eponymous LP in 1976, he had already accumulated a large library of songs. At Jackson Browne's suggestion, the first album is full of his classical stuff and highbrow lyrics. He was able to sneak a couple of "Excitable" songs on to preview the hijinks to come on future records.

Lyric:
I've got a .38 special up on the shelf
I'll sleep when I'm dead
If I start acting stupid
I'll shoot myself
Alice in ChainsMt. ManLow Ceiling
QueensnellmanBreakthru
AC/DCfalguyThe Jack
The Hold SteadscorchyParty Pit
Damon AlbarnEephusGorillaz --- Hong Kong
Ray Charlessimey
Doveslandrys hatCarousels
SpoonHov34Rainy Taxi

Foo FightersJust Win BabyAurora
Simon & Garfunkelzamboni"Why Don't You Write Me"
Bruce SpringsteenDrIanMalcolmThe Rising
The ProdigytitusbrambleSmack My ***** Up
Bauhausotb_liferMask
HeartDoug BYou're The Voice (live)
The Tragically HipNorthern VoiceAt the Hundreth Meridian
deadmau5zazaleSome Chords
Elton JohntimschochetDaniel

#26 - The Stranglers - Princess of the Streets

Year - 1977
Album - Rattus Norvegicus
UK Chart position - Non Single
Vocals - Jean-Jacques Burnel

Key Lyric - But she's queen of the streets
what a piece of meat
She's no lady
She'll stab you in the back

Interesting Points

1- We see a lot of JJB songs in the 21-40 range. Probably more than half. His voice is either growly monster, as it is here, or french sophistocat.

2- This song is about an ex of JJBs. His lyrics point to rampant sexism, as a lot of his do. Cornwells lyrics are more wry hate for all.

3- This song is probably more bluesy/rootsy than any other Stranglers song. You can almost feel the filth dripping off as it oozes through its run time

4- This is another song that jumped into the top 31 at the last minute to replace Toiler on the Sea, which has a magnificent first 100 seconds of various instrumental bits. A beautiful synth opening leading into great band work. Then Hugh starts singing and its last 3 minutes are average at best.

5- Princess is still played live. As JJB is the only original left, his songs probably get preference anyway, but the big hits are all Hugh. JJB does have 2 songs in my top 10, but less than a handful in the top 20 overall.
Summary to date

Year

1977 - 3
1978 - 1
1979 - 1
1980 - 0
1981 - 0
1982 - 0
1983 - 0
1984 - 0
1985 - 0
1986 - 0
1987 - 0
1988 - 1
1989 - 0
1990 onwards - 0

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 3/9
No More Heroes - 0/11
Black and White - 0/12
The Raven - 1/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 0/10
La Folie - 0/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 0/11
Dreamtime - 0/10
All Live and All of the Night - 1/13
10 - 0/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 0
Greatest Hits - 0
Standalone Single - 1

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwell - 3
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 3
Other - 0

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly
#29 - All Day and All of the Night
#28 - Meninblack
#27 - Goodbye Toulouse
#26 - Princess of the Streets

Next we have a song that I had totally forgotten about, but upon relistening to the albums I had to include.

I am the sweaty sheets
The wet bed
The things she'll do and the things she said
I'll come for you, come for you

:oldunsure:

#26. "Someday At Christmas"

I imagine this is the Stevie style of singing @simey was referencing when she said he could get "nasally". He's at the top of his range here and he's a kid, so it's all high-register. It's one of his most sappy (I don't care who got the writing royalties, this is a Stevie Wonder song), but it makes me tear up when I hear it every December. I wish more of us were as sappy as Stevie Wonder.

The Decemberists
#26 Sunshine

From the 2004 Billy Liar EP, Sunshine is another bright little ditty (don't worry, I do draw from some of the overqualified LARP convention house band material) that - in keeping with the misogynistic theme of the #26 playlist ( ;) ) is about a miscreant staring at someone's ***. It's considered a "b-side" and seems to be universally reviled in the reviewer community.

I don't care. I like it.

On the lawn before the bouquet fell
Long before we heard the ringing bell
When all I want is a good look at your underside

Happy Pappy day to all you pappies.

Looking at the #26 playlist I see we will finally be getting another entry in T. Swift. The playlist also includes some of my all time favs from artists I know well (including, but not limited to: Genesis' Behind the Lines, Regatta De Blanc by the Police (on what IMHO is their best album and the one on which they put 11 songs, a trend carried through the rest of their catalog - not sure why Outlandos only had 10 🤔 ), Rush's Spirit of Radio and Some Chords by deadmau5).

And as the numbers shrink I imagine the songs from artists I'm not all that familiar with (for example Slade; what an absolute void in my music knowledge. They'd been around since 1969!) will just keep getting better. Especially Modest Mouse. Still can't get over the fact Float On has already appeared! ;)

So far…

• My favorite Trail of Dead song so far
  • Is Tron the only movie score Daft Punk did? If I was a director I would be begging them for movie scores
  • Rush is a band I slag off regularly but I do enjoy their hits. I was bopping to Spirit of the Radio
  • The Stranglers have the top spot for this round so far
  • Slade song was fun

Last edited:
26. Low Ceiling (off The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, 2013)

And nobody can tell you
It's a moment in time
That defines and deforms you

(Youtube version) Low Ceiling - YouTube

This one grabs your attention early, and has a good groove going through it including a great guitar solo. That sentence is just my opinion, of course, but hopefully you have a similar experience. There’s some thought that this is about bad reviews (their “ceiling” being some groups’ “floor”), but this is another one the band’s left up for interpretation.

Next in the countdown, we get closer to the core of AIC.

I didn’t feel the need to get into all the weeds, but yeah the reason I almost died was that my gall bladder/ gall stones issue was misdiagnosed and written off by “doctors,” two different ones. Boy did I give no thought to taking care of myself in my thirties, gave no thought to things like having a doctor (or dentist for that matter) , and for this serious issue I was just going to minute clinics. One of the times I went they hooked me up to an EKG. This was gallstones.

Simey both our Uncle Bills died in 2009. Maybe I knew that and forgot. In any case, condolences. :h:

Anyway no reason to get into anybody’s prostate problems or ginormous ball sacks, happy Father’s Day, and number 26’s day, to everyone, and I’m two days from my colonoscopy, to circle fully back. After tonight, no eating until midday Tuesday!

Last edited:
Murder By Numbers is one of my favorites on Synchronicity. Dig the drumming.
The Police

@ThePoliceBand

Today we celebrate 40 years since the release of ‘Synchronicity,’ the fifth and final studio album by The Police, released on 17 June 1983 by A&M Records.
🎉

My favorite 26s, in non alphabetical order:

Carried Me With You - Brandi Carlile

Reggatta De Blanc - The 🚨

Behind The Lines - Genesis

Summer Of All Dead Souls - ... And You Will Know Us

The Spirit Of 📻 - Rush

Blurred View - Big Thief

Someday At Christmas 🎁 - Steve Wonder

Tweezer - Phish

Stars - Frank Black

Our Lady Of Electric Light - Clutch

Hong Kong - Gorillaz

Unchain My Heart - Ray Charles

Rainy Taxi - 🥄

Mask - Bauhaus

One more thing comes to mind in all of this brush with death talk, anyone of you or anybody in your spheres who is a veteran should be going to your local VA facility, and getting taken care of on a regular basis and for what is effectively free of charge. Doesn't matter if you served for two years or twenty, or whether you're a street bum or the president of a bank.

THESE DAYS the care is as good as you're gonna get at any for-profit hospital system. Nobody is going to try to deny you an MRI, or push certain prescriptions, or that kind of nonsense

Last edited:
#26 Powerman (1970 - Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part1)

Dave Davies claimed the riff in this song was his favorite Kinks riff. It is an absolutely infectious, driving riff that is relentless throughout…as relentless as the Powerman! It is also very reminiscent of the opening riff in Waterloo Sunset before that one yields to a much softer melodic style. Who is powerman? Powerman appears to be the record industry executives who have all the control and take all the money. It could just as easily be applied to the government or the executives in whatever industry applies to your situation. The struggles of the working man are real and the Kinks are always ready to tell you about it. This was originally planned to be the first single released and the cornerstone of the album, until Lola filled that role…

I know a man, he's a powerful man
He's got the people in his power
In the palm of his hand.
He started at the bottom and he worked his way up
Now he's never going to stop
Until he reaches the top.
It's the same old story, it's the same old dream,
It's power man, power man, and all that it can bring.
If you want your money, you better stand in the line
'cause you'll only end up picking up nickels and dimes.
You call him names and he sits and grins
'cause everybody else is just a sucker to him.
And he's got my money, but I've got my faith
And powerman, powerman, I'll never be your slave.
It's the same old story, it's the same old game
It's power man, power man, driving me insane
People tried to conquer the world Napoleon and Genghis Khan
Hitler tried and Mussolini too
Powerman don't need to fight, powerman don't need no guns
Powerman got money on his side
Well I'm not rich and I'm not free
But I've got my girl and she got me
He's got my money and my publishing rights
But I've got my girl and I'm alright
And she got me going, and she keeps me sane
But powerman, powerman, got money on the brain
It's the same old story it's the same old game
Powerman, powerman driving me insane

• Really getting into The Doves, I remember a buddy's GF in college really liked them. I never gave them enough of a chance becase I didn't care for her.
  • This might seem like a backhanded compliment but I would love to hear an instrumental only version of Hong Kong
  • Unchain My Heart would have been top 5 for me (though I never actually sat down to rank his songs), can't wait to hear what else is coming

26. Fancy Colours
Album: Chicago (aka Chicago II) (1970)
Writer: Robert Lamm
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? No

Hey man, is that Freedom Rock? Well, turn it up! On this 5-minute track from their second record, Chicago offers up a variety of psychedelic touches, including a wind chimes-and-organ opening that recalls Krautrock or early Pink Floyd, a majestic opening verse that features multiple Peter Ceteras singing over each other, and an uptempo passage featuring lots of flute and wah-wah guitar. "We do things so very fine in the dew" -- I don't think they wrote that line sober. After the lyrics are done, we get a guitar solo and a drum solo, followed by a final horn blast that repeats over and over, interrupted each time by a burst from the drums, creating an illusion that the record is skipping. And then you are jarred out of your stupor by the opening chords of a song you may have heard of, 25 or 6 to 4. This track may have been their most creative use of the studio to date.
At Carnegie Hall version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_1umCi_4I
Leonid and Friends named a tour after this song but I can't find any clip of them actually playing it.

The band's second record is actually its second in a row that was self-titled; they had changed their name from Chicago Transit Authority to Chicago after threat of legal action from the actual CTA. But it has been retronymed as Chicago II, in keeping with how most of the subsequent albums were identified. It is the record that transformed them from a cult act to a major force in the mainstream, yielding three top 10 singles (one of which was released after the singles from III) and hitting the top 5 on the album charts soon after its release. Despite that, the record, a double like the one before it and the one after it, is just as adventurous as the first album, featuring three multi-part suites and a blend of pop, jazz, hard rock, country rock, psychedelia and even chamber music. While Robert Lamm had dominated the writing credits and lead vocals of the debut, the second album was more diverse in both regards. Terry Kath and James Pankow wrote just as much as Lamm did (each of them contributed one of the suites), and Kath and Peter Cetera handled more lead vocals than Lamm did. Cetera even got his first writing credit on "Where Do We Go From Here?", the album's closer.
From their subsequent actions, you can tell the band perceives this as a very special album. It got the Steven Wilson remix treatment in 2016, and in 2017, the band performed it live in its entirety, releasing Chicago II: Live on Soundstage the following year. (Retronyms are powerful things.) In American Songwriter, Jim Beviglia wrote: "50 years after its release, Chicago II still stands as one of the band’s signature achievements. ...Listening to Chicago II now, it is remarkable just how smoothly the various pieces blend together."

At #25, the other song on this list that I think should have been released as a single but wasn't. Its fate might have been otherwise if the band had made a different choice for lead singer.

26 Sigur Ros - Svo Hljott (So Quietly) - Takk - 2005

Not much to say here. Just a calm, haunting song. I love the strings in this one. Comes off of their third album, Takk.

Svo Hljott

ég hallaði á, í ró,
það stóð allt í stað, og þú…
þú söngst til mín, svo hljótt..
þú söngst til mín, svo hljótt..

í túnglsljósinu, ég sé tig á grúfu.
í túnglsljósinu, þú breytist í bláa dúfu

ég þakka þér þá von sem þú gafst mér
ég þakka þér þá von…

So Quietly

I held you, in peace
Everything was in place, and you
You sang to me, so quietly
You sang to me, so quietly

In the moonlight, I see you prone
In the moonlight, you turn into a blue dove

I thank you for the hope you gave me
I thank you for the hope...

Green DayMAC_32King For A Day (Shout)
I thought it was important to follow up one live Green Day staple with another one. This song's performance at a show in 2000 is what left me saying to myself they have more in them. I enjoyed their foray into horn driven ska in the studio version, but seeing this raucous performance live was a game changer. For some shows it was 'just' these 2 and in others it led to in much bigger medleys including Stand By Me, I Fought The Law, Blitzkreig Bop, Hey Jude, Satisfaction, etc. Regardless, it was always a wild 10+ piece performance no matter if it was done that day on top of a parking garage, in a small club, or in an arena. That first exposure left me thinking this wasn't just a fading punk rock band; they were transitioning into something bigger...

Random thoughts on some of the #26s I already knew:

Parallel Lines is from Nearly Human (1989), Todd's next straightforward pop/rock offering after Hermit of Mink Hollow. The entire album is fantastic and this song boasts a strong melody and a compelling coda.
Behind the Lines is a great album opener and as stated previously really does function as an overture. I also love the way it segues into the album's next track.
The Spirit of Radio is one of the definitive Rush songs, and is a great ode to music and the effect it has on people (while acknowledging how the industry behind it can suck).
It doesn't matter how sappy Someday at Christmas is, Stevie's vocal is so convincing. For that reason it's probably in my top 1% of Christmas songs.
The studio version of Tweezer isn't a Phish favorite of mine (though the shorter, harder-rocking Tweezer Reprise is), but live, Tweezer is the vehicle for some of their most exploratory jams, including the 35-minute version that appears on their first live release, A Live One.
Livin' Thing is another banger from ELO's "sweet spot" period. It's one of the best uses of their string section.
Unchain My Heart is one of Ray's most expressive vocals, which is really saying something.
Aurora has always been one of my favorite Foo Fighters tracks. It's ethereal but still driving.

For obvious reasons, I'm behind on the playlists. From the first part of #27, I really enjoyed the new-to-me tracks from Jorge Ben Jor, Brandi Carlile, SRV, Trail of Dead, Sigur Ros, Green Day, Daft Punk and Elliott Smith. Very strong collection thus far.

Parallel Lines is from Nearly Human (1989), Todd's next straightforward pop/rock offering after Hermit of Mink Hollow. The entire album is fantastic and this song boasts a strong melody and a compelling coda.
Behind the Lines is a great album opener and as stated previously really does function as an overture. I also love the way it segues into the album's next track.
The Spirit of Radio is one of the definitive Rush songs, and is a great ode to music and the effect it has on people (while acknowledging how the industry behind it can suck).
It doesn't matter how sappy Someday at Christmas is, Stevie's vocal is so convincing. For that reason it's probably in my top 1% of Christmas songs.
The studio version of Tweezer isn't a Phish favorite of mine (though the shorter, harder-rocking Tweezer Reprise is), but live, Tweezer is the vehicle for some of their most exploratory jams, including the 35-minute version that appears on their first live release, A Live One.
Livin' Thing is another banger from ELO's "sweet spot" period. It's one of the best uses of their string section.
Unchain My Heart is one of Ray's most expressive vocals, which is really saying something.
Aurora has always been one of my favorite Foo Fighters tracks. It's ethereal but still driving.
How are you feeling, man?

How are you feeling, man?
Thanks for asking. Today is the first day I feel more like myself. The antibiotics are definitely doing their job.

Round 27:

Not a huge fan of either Rush or Greenday, but I enjoyed both songs today.

Also am loving the deep dive (for me) of the Kinks. I only really knew a handful of songs (the "hits"), but I can see how influential they were as a lot of bands sound like them and they have several unique sounds.

Stevie Wonder is just amazing.

Asking for a friend: How high do I need to be to enjoy Phish?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread