What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (4 Viewers)

Why isn't that Stevie Wonder song played all the time at Christmas?
It may depend of what the format is you're listening to. FM Radio breaks it up a LOT and narrowcasts. I hear it a bunch.
I've listened to FM Radio christmas stations and recently Sirius XM and never heard it. Weird.
I get the SXM channels mixed up. One of them - it's not the Soul Christmas channel - plays the hell out of Stevie's song, but I don't remember which it is.

One of the FM stations in Philly goes all Christmas music between Thanksgiving and New Year's. My wife listens to it a lot when that happens, so I hear some of it too. They play the Stevie song a lot.

... still have yet to hear Siouxsie (circa Smiff era) or the Damned on "radio" lo in the 40-ish yrs since their Christmas forays were released - believe i may have heard the Ramones a coupla/few times, but that's 'cuz they're hometown boys.

but it were the Pistols who owned the holiday out this lot, performing a benefit gig for the families of striking fireman, back in '77, on the eve of their cataclysmic journey to the States.

6 months away, so ... there's yer "Happy Christmas in June!" wishes for today 🎅

... still have yet to hear Siouxsie (circa Smiff era) or the Damned on "radio" lo in the 40-ish yrs since their Christmas forays were released - believe i may have heard the Ramones a coupla/few times, but that's 'cuz they're hometown boys.

but it were the Pistols who owned the holiday out this lot, performing a benefit gig for the families of striking fireman, back in '77, on the eve of their cataclysmic journey to the States.

Can't wait for Middle Age Dummies Xmas Xtravaganza

'allo! I'm back from England and have a billion songs and pages to catch up on. If I'm looking at this correctly, another set will be posted tomorrow, right? Think I'll jump in with that playlist rather than backing up all the way to the 31s. Then I'll swing back for the 31-26 playlists as I can along the way.
Welcome back! How was the trip?

i be ho ho hoing early - it's a gig.

i be ho ho hoing early
Take it to the one night stand thread. :laugh:

Besides my own I knew 7 from the 26s.
Of bands I like I thought these were the best yet from the Police,Kinks,Queen and Ray Charles.
Haven't liked much so far from Big Theif and Elliot Smith but these were the best so far.
More strong showings from Decemberists,ToD, Stranglers,Dino Jr, Spoon ,Doves and Frank Black.
The Stevie Wonder, Chicago and Foo Fighters tracks were ok but liked the previous choices for all better.
Decent start for Taylor Swift - welcome to the party!

Thoughts on the 26s, but first an admission, or maybe it's a pondering, I dunno...

Yesterday, I was wondering why I was having trouble connecting with certain bands (not gonna name names) I kind-of like or new-to-me ones that should be in my wheelhouse and I've come to the conclusion that some good songs just aren't meant for the environment in which I'm engaging with them. And even when a song is perfect for walking the dog on a sunny, 85-degree Sunday, by the time I get home, I forgot what I was gonna write about it. Today, I left to go kayak fishing* around 5:30 am and tried to give the playlist another shot but my early-morning brain couldn't process it so I turned to mind-numbing Philly sports radio on Audacy instead. Then I queued up the playlist for a bit while out on the kayak, and yeah, Clutch (I know I said I wasn't gonna name names) isn't something for paddling in serenity.

That's my long way of saying sorry for not acknowledging certain bands or not having much to say about the ones I do note.

* Today, I was fishing in what I think were @Uruk-Hai's old haunts - Galesville/Shady Side. I was out 7 hours today and 8 hours yesterday and I still feel like I'm bobbing in the water while sitting at the computer.

The 23s

SRV/The House is Rockin' - Wait, I know this song! But I can't remember where from. Was it in a movie or TV show?
Decemberists/Sunshine
Rush/Spirit of Radio - I've heard this a billion times and still crank up the volume whenever I run across it
Big Thief - sounds like this could have come straight from Maxinquaye-era Tricky
Taylor Swift/the 1
Elliot Smith/Heat Miser - I usually love sad/depressed songs but I need something else like anger, snark, humor, etc. for it to land with me. I'm not sure what this one had that the earlier one's didn't but I really enjoyed it.
Chicago
Frank Black - I can't remember why I liked this so much, but it was my favorite of the 26s.
Dinosaur Jr/Mick
AC/DC/The Jack - I thought I had heard every good AC/DC song already
Bauhaus/Mask -

Big Thief are stealing the show, by virtue of being so new and so good, and female fronted which we really need here

On that note, glad as well to have TSwz on board and now I’ll be forced to discover what the fuss is all about

I liked this Heart song, “I Want You So Bad”, I don’t think I’ve ever heard it. Interested to see where this goes.

Same with Ryan Adams, Rush, AiC, Decemberists, it’s been hit or miss with me so far but I know they’ve got some awesome material ahead.

DOVES are right in my wheelhouse and I’m not sure how I never really knew them before

Bauhaus I like more than I expected to. Also think dead 🐁/ daft punks / prodigy have brought a nice touch

Not sure what to add as far as all of the hall of famers, great tunes abound and I appreciate your takes and ranks!

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 6: Party Pit

I went away to school that fall
She stuck around with all those stick-pin dolls
Sped through the scene until the engine stalled
At some suburban shopping mall

Album: Boys and Girls in America (1 of 4)

Year: 2006

# of Times Seen Live: 14 of 37 shows

The Story: The first appearance of a song from THS’s biggest record. @rockaction is spot on that Boys and Girls in America is likely the best/most accessible starting point for newer fans. It probably rates 3rd or 4th for me - not because I don’t love it but because the first two records hit just right at a time I really needed them. As for Party Pit, it always reminds me of summers working at the beach and the kids that would come into town for the summer and get lost in the scene (a different scene than Craig is singing about but one that still sidetracked a lot of plans/lives).

Live Notes: As you can imagine, the “Gonna walk around and drink some more” lines are a pretty joyful thing to experience live.

My 26th for Clutch breaks up a group of tracks that I was pretty sure most wouldn't like due to the vocals and/or music styles.
Overall I'm surprised at the reception of my picks so far and hope I can win back the new fans once we get through the next 3 .

My 26th for Clutch breaks up a group of tracks that I was pretty sure most wouldn't like due to the vocals and/or music styles.
Overall I'm surprised at the reception of my picks so far and hope I can win back the new fans once we get through the next 3 .
I’m all about that early stuff, Bacchanal was a great choice

Big Thief are stealing the show, by virtue of being so new and so good, and female fronted which we really need here
Glad people are enjoying them. I've only recently full dived into their music and was impressed with how much good music they have put put out in 7 years. I hope they can keep the run going. Also, good catch on the female fronted thing. I hadn't noticed but Heart, Carlile and now Swift are the only other female led artists/groups? I think?

😟

Seriously though, have been enjoying them. Most of them anyway. ;)

My #26 Thoughts

Some personal favorites that would rank high if I was picking 31 from these groups - Rush, ELO, Elton

Two of my favorite new to me groups from this exercise that again came strong - Trail of Dead and Doves

Kinks - this was really good, I don’t think I’ve heard this one before

I really liked this song from Big Thief, nice change of pace from their other ranked songs.

The Taylor & Elliot Smith back to back was a nice combo that flowed really well.

This was a really cool song from Black Francis - my favorite from him so far.

Not sure if I’ve heard this Dino Jr song before, but I liked it a lot.

The Stranglers and Hold Steady were nice new to me songs.

Wow, this Gorillaz song was really, really good. Highlight of the #26 list for me.

Love me some Spoon / Rainy Taxi.

That was a fun Phish song.

I liked the mid song tempo change from Bauhaus as someone else pointed out.

Deadmau5 - I admit it, the booty was shakin when I was washing the dishes earlier.

The Simon & Garfunkel song was a fun one I’ve never heard before.

#26 Songs:

Really enjoyed the Jorge Ben Jor song.

Top 5 Police song for me. We should have an instrumental draft.

As many have said, that Genesis album is a monster

Powerman - The Kinks, So good.

T-Swift - my daughter after hearing me talk about this made her top 31 SwiftSongs, this one came in at 17 on her list.

So glad Elliott Smith is in this thing so I can be more exposed to his genius - Think I've heard this song a few times.

Livin' Thing was my ELO song in the Brit draft/list.

What a lovely Gorillaz song, never thought I'd type that.

Ray Charles made me happy during a sad song.

Haven't mentioned the Foo Fighters yet, I wasn't that familiar with this song but liked it very much.

Enjoyed the Boss song, need to check more from that album. I only knew one song.

Liked the Simon/Garfunkel song, sounded like a Simon song.

Don't know the Tragically Hip at all, enjoyed this one

Daniel (Elton) is such a powerful song - Your eyes have died, but you see more than I

'allo! I'm back from England and have a billion songs and pages to catch up on. If I'm looking at this correctly, another set will be posted tomorrow, right? Think I'll jump in with that playlist rather than backing up all the way to the 31s. Then I'll swing back for the 31-26 playlists as I can along the way.

Trip was fabulous! We crammed an awful lot into a short time, and as titusbramble mentioned, the weather was sunny (albeit way too hot for me)! My friend picked me up at Heathrow Friday the 9th, and we went straight to their new house in the Cotswolds. Did a lot of walking there from little village to village and drank a lot of tepid tap water, which is apparently my new drink of choice.

Sunday night we headed to Birmingham for the Elton John concert! 19th-row floor seats for a great show.

Monday we went down to their place in London. I got to spend some time with my goddaughter, who is 20 years old and a superstar human, and I had a fantastic meal at an Indian restaurant with a Michelin star. Since my friend lives in Richmond, she also walked me around to some Ted Lasso sites. :lol:

Wednesday-Saturday was the fatherland, Liverpool. Wow. I'm still emotional thinking of it. Then back to London on Saturday and home last night. :cry:

I am glad to be home, though, and also to have air-con and ice.

Last edited:

Trip was fabulous! We crammed an awful lot into a short time, and as titusbramble mentioned, the weather was sunny (albeit way too hot for me)! My friend picked me up at Heathrow Friday the 9th, and we went straight to their new house in the Cotswolds. Did a lot of walking there from little village to village and drank a lot of tepid tap water, which is apparently my new drink of choice.

Sunday night we headed to Birmingham for the Elton John concert! 19th-row floor seats for a great show.

Monday we went down to their place in London. I got to spend some time with my goddaughter, who is 20 years old and a superstar human, and I had a fantastic meal at an Indian restaurant with a Michelin star. Since my friend lives in Richmond, she also walked me around to some Ted Lasso sites. :lol:

Wednesday-Saturday was the fatherland, Liverpool. Wow. I'm still emotional thinking of it. Then back to London on Saturday and home last night. :cry:

I am glad to be home, though, and also to have air-con and ice.
Sounds awesome- busy but a heck of a time. Any standouts on Liverpool?

My finger hit something accidentally, and I lost most of what I wrote so this is a shorter version.

I liked everything from this batch of #26 songs. Below are a few new to me songs I'll mention.

Mask - The first two or three sounds remind me of Synchronicity ll, but then it is totally different. It's a moody piece. It's weird in a good way, and I like the acoustic (I think) guitar that comes in a little over halfway through it.
Blurred View - They sound more indie in this one than folk.
Hong Kong - Nice song and it has an Orient (Hong Kong) sound to it.
Aurora - I like this one
Stars - I like his scratchy vocals on this one and the sound in general.
Summer of all Dead Souls - 🥁
Mick - 🥁
Tweezer - I like its groove.

A few favorites that I know.

Spirit of the Radio
Someday at Christmas
Did Ya Mama Ever Tell Ya
Livin' Thing
Why Don't You Write me
Daniel - This song reminds me of playing records in the 70s, and playing his Greatest Hits album.
Powerman

S&G, RA and SRV too

I’m a bit behind on the 26’s. Flew out to the SF Bay Area for a family baptism this past weekend. Tacked on a few extra days to make the trip from the east coast worthwhile. A couple of wineries today; Alcatraz and the Giants game on the agenda for tomorrow.

Did get in some 26’s when I was in the fitness room at the hotel this morning. It was bumping.

DOVES are right in my wheelhouse and I’m not sure how I never really knew them before
I felt the same way when Shuke picked Catch the Sun in the British Isles countdown. Their #26 was another one that sounded like Coldplay with more artistic freedom.

Really digging Spoon's Rainy Taxi -- an extremely well-constructed song.

You're the Voice, I may have heard back when it was released but if so, I don't remember. It's a real crowd pleaser and this version has a great vocal by Ann.

Damon Albarn Song #26

Gorillaz - "Hong Kong" from D-Sides (2007)

Albarn has released Gorillaz albums in matched pairs. The main albums with the hits and big-name collaborations collaborations come first followed within a year or so by a second disc of remixes and non-album tracks that is generally less commercial material.

"Hong Kong" is off of D-Sides which was the follow-up to Demon Days. The song began life on a benefit album for the UK Charity War Child with a simple acoustic arrangement. By the time it appeared on D-Sides, Albarn had added a string section and the guzheng zither part by Zheng Zheng that makes the song so unique. Damon has dabbled in Eastern music as well as his African projects. In 2007, he composed music for a Chinese opera Monkey: Journey to the West that was staged in Manchester, Paris, London and the Spoleto USA festival. Don't worry, nothing from it made my countdown.

Albarn's lyrics can be pretty oblique so any political criticism of either British imperialism or Chinese totalitarianism is left to the imagination. Or maybe it's about drugs.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/2AKX3IMx4ctUiLw5O60lAX

Live performance from 2006ish

Users who are viewing this thread