What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

Foo FightersJust Win BabyBest Of You

Best Of You is the second song I chose from the In Your Honor album, which I described in a previous post. This song was the second Foos song to reach #1 on the Billboard US Alternative chart and the first to reach #1 on the Billboard US Mainstream Rock chart. It was nominated for the Best Rock Song Grammy, which U2 won for City of Blinding Lights. Give me Best Of You in that comparison.

Dave Grohl has said the song is "about breaking away from the things that confine you" and further described it as follows:

...a song of resistance. It’s about the refusal to be taken advantage of by something that’s bigger than you, or someone you’re in love with. It’s the fight in the face of adversity. Most people think it's a love song but it's meant to be more universal, which I think is one of the reasons so many people sing along when we play it.

In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked Best Of You #4.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Best of You #12. Here is an excerpt from their writeup:

Foo Fighters will never go down as an overly-sentimental band, but it’s not a coincidence that many of their very best songs find an emotional urgency to match their unparalleled ability to rock. At that, “Best of You” is practically inspirational... it’s a song best described as therapeutic, an outreached hand of support for anyone fighting adversity.

But while the takeaway is how Foo Fighters crafted an anthem that works as a sing-along for thousands or fits nicely within a Prince set at the Super Bowl, it’s also important to note the performance of the song. Grohl might never again sound as impassioned as he does in this recording, his throat rubbed raw by several minutes of fifth-gear scream-singing. For a message that sounds best bold and underscored, it’s exactly the delivery that the song needs.

Around 2019 (2014 article was updated "4 years ago"), Spin ranked what they characterized as all 152 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Best of You #19. Here is an excerpt from their writeup:

It’s hard to imagine anyone serenading someone with “Best of You” without hoisting them in midair by the shirt collar and getting spittle on their face. The broken delivery — “IT’S REAL/ THE PAIN YOU FEEL/ YOU TRUST/ YOU MUST/ CONFESS” — is Grohl at his most James Hetfield, almost self-parodic if the anthemic melody wasn’t so strong. More or less, the most indelible hit of the Foos’ second decade is a jangle-pop ballad screamed at do-you-smell-what-the-Rock-is-cooking pitch.

Here is a video of Prince covering the song in his Super Bowl halftime performance. Here is what Grohl said about this:

At his 2007 Superbowl half time show, none other than Prince busted out a version midway through his set. “Having been a massive Prince fan my whole life, I was flattered beyond words. What an honor to be covered by one of your heroes,” said Dave Grohl. “He turns it into this gospel-rock experience that blows our version out of the water.”

Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatBuffalo Grass

This song was pulled from the 2000 album "One Long Year" and is the "most recent" song on my list. I mentioned earlier that there are two albums I really like from 2004 and 2008 and some songs I like from his later albums - but they just could not come close to a top 31 for me - as hard as I tried to pull across as much of his 41 albums that I felt I could.

It wasn't put together in the usual fashion - it was comprised primarily of songs that had already been released through his "PatroNet", a subscription website.

Some little known but strong songs on this one:

a couple of rockers and another catchy, sweet tune that he's known for:

* they promoted the album with "I Hate My Frickin' ISP" on Conan - for you kids that weren't surfing around when dial-up was all we had :)

* they used the other rocker to promote a couple of other appearances "Yer Fast And I Like It"

* a forgotten song I love is "Where Did The Time Go?" - it's complete top 40s radio play pop goodness - I find myself playing it in my head a lot ...

from Press release materials:
PatroNet.com has launched Todd Rundgren's revolutionary new software, The Interocitor, for the delivery of creative content, way beyond just downloading music. This on-line service allows Todd to establish a relationship with his fans in a way that will bring artist and patron closer than ever before possible. For only $40.00 a year you can have access to Todd like you have always wanted but never could before.
The Interocitor is a multiple channel, 3D environment that will include:

1. No longer wait two years for a new CD, get the music as soon as Todd records it. Hear the new CD "One Long Year", also available see several new flash animation that accompany a few songs.
  2. Live and taped concert web casts. Footage from the current "Power Trio" tour, see Kasim fall and break his leg on stage. Stop into the Tiki Room's cocktail lounge before watching a show from "With A Twist" tour. Order a tropical refreshment from our friendly bartender served in a Tiki God cup. Check out the Mai Tai Museum while there.
  3. Games based on Todd and Utopia's music. Help Todd climb to the top of the pyramid to save Singring from eternal imprisonment in the glass guitar while Roger, Kasim and Willie try to stop him. Or play a game of "Concentration" using sound bites from all of Todd's solo albums.
  4. The House Of Fashion, archiving the many colorful stage costumes Todd has worn throughout his career. Photos spanning Todd's career and life. Fans will have the ability to submit and have their photos of Todd hung in the gallery as well.
  5. The Castle of Mystery where you can get your deepest and darkest questions answered. Find out if you can levitate Todd.
  6. Live chats with Todd. Receive post cards and e-mail from Todd himself. (in 1999 he sent out the "Twelve E-mails Of Christmas")
  7. Surprises on every wall, you will just have to explore and experiment.

Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatBuffalo Grass

This song was pulled from the 2000 album "One Long Year" and is the "most recent" song on my list. I mentioned earlier that there are two albums I really like from 2004 and 2008 and some songs I like from his later albums - but they just could not come close to a top 31 for me - as hard as I tried to pull across as much of his 41 albums that I felt I could.

It wasn't put together in the usual fashion - it was comprised primarily of songs that had already been released through his "PatroNet", a subscription website.

Some little known but strong songs on this one:

a couple of rockers and another catchy, sweet tune that he's known for:

* they promoted the album with "I Hate My Frickin' ISP" on Conan - for you kids that weren't surfing around when dial-up was all we had :)

* they used the other rocker to promote a couple of other appearances "Yer Fast And I Like It"

* a forgotten song I love is "Where Did The Time Go?" - it's complete top 40s radio play pop goodness - I find myself playing it in my head a lot ...

from Press release materials:
PatroNet.com has launched Todd Rundgren's revolutionary new software, The Interocitor, for the delivery of creative content, way beyond just downloading music. This on-line service allows Todd to establish a relationship with his fans in a way that will bring artist and patron closer than ever before possible. For only $40.00 a year you can have access to Todd like you have always wanted but never could before.
The Interocitor is a multiple channel, 3D environment that will include:

1. No longer wait two years for a new CD, get the music as soon as Todd records it. Hear the new CD "One Long Year", also available see several new flash animation that accompany a few songs.
  2. Live and taped concert web casts. Footage from the current "Power Trio" tour, see Kasim fall and break his leg on stage. Stop into the Tiki Room's cocktail lounge before watching a show from "With A Twist" tour. Order a tropical refreshment from our friendly bartender served in a Tiki God cup. Check out the Mai Tai Museum while there.
  3. Games based on Todd and Utopia's music. Help Todd climb to the top of the pyramid to save Singring from eternal imprisonment in the glass guitar while Roger, Kasim and Willie try to stop him. Or play a game of "Concentration" using sound bites from all of Todd's solo albums.
  4. The House Of Fashion, archiving the many colorful stage costumes Todd has worn throughout his career. Photos spanning Todd's career and life. Fans will have the ability to submit and have their photos of Todd hung in the gallery as well.
  5. The Castle of Mystery where you can get your deepest and darkest questions answered. Find out if you can levitate Todd.
  6. Live chats with Todd. Receive post cards and e-mail from Todd himself. (in 1999 he sent out the "Twelve E-mails Of Christmas")
  7. Surprises on every wall, you will just have to explore and experiment.
I really like this one. It's Runt-y, but it also reminds me of someone else and I can't put my finger on who that is. Typical Todd: soak up what he likes and put his own weird spin on it.

A few new to me favorites from list #25...

Mainstream Kid - I've heard her sing this live, but I didn't know the name of the song. Now I do. She lets loose in this. It's great.
Tiny Cities Made of Ashes - Smooth with a groovy bassline.
Crabsody in Blue - Nice bluesy number from ⚡, but lyrically a bit icky. I think it's about getting crabs, and not the kind out in the surf.
Rollin' and Scratchin' - Great beat and really does do some scratchin'.
Exile - Nice duet
I Want You - I notice this is from last year. I like it.
Vegas - I like the various sounds of this band.
Sweden - I dig it!
Blackout Sam - I like that organ in the background, the subtle horns and the guitar. This is my favorite by them so far. The singer reminds me of someone, but I can't think of who.
We Can Work it Out - Nice cover by Stevie.
Carolina, Carol Bela - Easy breezy
I'm Going Slightly Mad - Freddie is in great voice, and I like the guitar solo.
This Time - 🎺
Buffalo Grass - I like this, and Todd sounds good.
Veracruz - Nice storytelling song.
Skeleton Man - Good rocker
The Way We Get By - I like the piano, tambourine and clapping. There are a few clapping songs today.
Stranded - I haven't heard this in ages.
Family Band - Good upbeat rocker
Rotten Apple - A bit hypnotic.
Forget the Swan - I like whatever sound effect is in this.
Of Lilies and Remains - I think some of this song has a B-52s vibe, like if they were slightly sedated on ludes or something. The B-52s are great, so that's a compliment to the song.
The Outsiders - I like that outro.
Make You Better - I've liked all their stuff thus far.
Best of You - 🥁
Fire on High - This instrumental is good.
I'm tired of typing.

Last edited:
I was a little less successful with the #30s than the others, but still gave 10 new hearts, and they were "strong" hearts, not "I might like this more if I listen again" ones.

Not gaining a heart, but songs I enjoyed listening to once were "One for the Vine" by Genesis, "I'm a Rocker" by Slade, and "Paranoia, Paranoia" by Bauhaus.

Receiving hearts:
- "Never Ending Math Equation" by Modest Mouse
- "Midlist Author" by The Decemberists
- "Opera Obscura" by long-named band
- "Inní mér syngur vitleysingur" by Sigur Rós - first appearance by them on my new-favorites list, but I'm giving them the first place award for the 30s.
- "Peacemaker" by Green Day
- "What Else Can I Say" by Chicago
- "Oh My God, Whatever, Etc." by Ryan Adams - probably going to be on the list a lot, though at some point we'll be getting to songs I know well, I suppose. Second favorite from this group of songs.
- "Wading in the Velvet Sea" by Phish - what??? This was one where my "listen to two minutes no matter what" rule was very helpful. The repetitive bit at the beginning wasn't doing much for me, but by the time I was finished with the entire song, I decided to give it half my third-place vote for this group.
- "Valentine and Garuda" by Frank Black and the Catholics
- "Garden" by Dinosaur Jr. - Is inching up my list upon repeated listens and can share the third-place votes with Phish.

Oops, forgot my #30s Special Shout-Out, which goes to ELO's "Telephone Line." One of the big surprises to me in the British Isles countdown was how many songs of theirs I realized I liked, as I hadn't revisited them in decades. Usually I skip songs I already know on these playlists, but I couldn't turn this one off. Seems to me the most Beatle-y of Lynne's efforts, which is a big statement considering...

Maybe we should do a top 31 where we choose themes instead of artists. If we do, I call dibs on "songs relating to telephones."

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 7: Blackout Sam

Blackout Sam don't have the answers
He keeps wakin' up on parking ramps
He could never find his keys

Album: Thrashing Thru The Passion (1 of 1)

Year: 2019

# of Times Seen Live: 4 of 10 shows (only counting shows since album was released)

The Story: In 2016, I think lots of fans thought THS were on their last legs. The band - who had relentlessly toured for years - hadn’t played a show in over 18 months. Their last two records were underwhelming at best. Worst of all, anonymous posts on reddit from someone claiming to be guitarist/co-founder Tad Kubler’s girlfriend aired lots of dirty laundry, painting a scene of massive dysfunction in the band and calling out Craig for being a fraud and all-around terrible friend/bandmate (it was soon deleted).

Then THS played a few festival dates in the fall of that year and followed them up with an amazing run of shows (called Massive Nights) in Brooklyn the week after Thanksgiving (I was lucky enough to be there with JZilla for all four nights plus a soundcheck). Even better, Franz decided to rejoin them in Brooklyn for old times sake. The band played a few more shows in 2017, and then out of nowhere, announced that Franz was an official member again and released a great new single. A few more singles followed, and then in 2019, they compiled most of them plus some other new tracks on Thrashing Thru the Passion. Though it was more of a double-EP than a true album, the songs revealed a rejuvenated band with fresh ideas - not a skip among the eight tracks.

Honestly, Thrashing… deserves multiple entries on this list but I couldn’t make it work in the parameters and I had five different songs in this slot at various points. Some are more straight-ahead old-school rockers, others are sing-alongs, but Blackout Sam immediately stood out to me as signaling a band that was ready to move forward while still being grounded in what won fans over in the first place. Live, especially when the Horn Steady is there to play along, it’s a showstopper.

Last edited:
Here are the #30's!!!

#30-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatLysistrata

I'm just getting to the post/comments on the #30s, and I see that what's on the playlist doesn't match up to this. The one on the playlist is a live version by Todd, and I didn't like it that much but thought the underlying song had a lot of potential, so I sought out the original. I see that the original studio version is what Binky had on there, too.

(This might have been discussed but I'm catching up. :bag: )

On a semi-related note, does anyone remember 1984 when both Bruce Springsteen and Peter Wolf released singles entitled Dancing in the Dark? Same title; same year. (Unfortunately Wolf's DitD isn't on Spotify.)
I don’t . I do remember he had annoying song that went “lights out, uh huh, flash flash flash.”
Oh I remember gb, but it was called Lights Out and went "Blast, blast, blast, lights out, uh huh."

But it's strange that you went with "flash" because the guy who did the nightly dedication show on WKHI in Ocean City, MD was named Flash Phelps and he had bumper music made that used "Flash, flash, flash" instead.

I know I've mentioned that here before because @Uruk-Hai (I think) remembered Flash Phelps as well. Maybe that exchange got flash subliminally stuck in your brain.

I've been too distracted today to really listen to the 25's, but one song in particular really grabbed my attention and caused me to momentarily stop what I was doing.

Taylor Swift.

That's the second countdown in which she's done that and while it's not the same album I noticed both tracks were released within the last 3 years. I am starting to wonder if I need to give recent albums from her a spin...

Oops, forgot my #30s Special Shout-Out, which goes to ELO's "Telephone Line." One of the big surprises to me in the British Isles countdown was how many songs of theirs I realized I liked, as I hadn't revisited them in decades. Usually I skip songs I already know on these playlists, but I couldn't turn this one off. Seems to me the most Beatle-y of Lynne's efforts, which is a big statement considering...

Maybe we should do a top 31 where we choose themes instead of artists. If we do, I call dibs on "songs relating to telephones."
My link

:biggrin:

Open Secrets
With only being 2 songs in, IMO @higgins is on to something here with these Rush tunes. Open Secrets is a lot of what you want from Rush, minus some of the aspects where they earn some deserved criticism. Geddy's singing is, well, more along the lines of singing, which helps the listenability. Alex has himself a nice solo tucked in at around the 3:30 mark. A good set of tranisitions, not overdone. Neil does some excellent work, not showboating with solos, and Geddy on the bass helps it drive, particularly toward the end of the song. Maybe it's a little long at 5:30, but it's not one of their 10-20 minute deals :lol: .

As a fan, my interest is piqued.

This reminds me that I'd meant to mention I've been enjoying the Rush tunes (#31, 30, and 26) much more than expected!

Round #25 thoughts:

Brandi Carlisle - love the vibe of this one

Modest Mouse - very different than what I’ve heard of them, I liked this

Decembrists - my favorite of their list so far

Trail of Dead - I think someone here compared them to Jane’s Addiction - I totally get that with this song.

Rush, Green Day, Alice In Chains, Foos - ♥️ All of these are high on my favorites for each group.

Elliott Smith - I really liked this

Dino Jr - this was great. I had forgotten this was Dino Jr halfway through and had to remind myself who it was. Definitely different from some of their other stuff.

ELO - when I was a young teen, we had some family friends with a son that was about 5 years older than me. His room was a converted basement that his dad used to use for music producing/editing, so it had carpet and other soundproofing on the walls and ceiling and he had a crazy stereo system with speakers throughout the room. The first time I went down there to listen to music, he cranked up the volume and this was the first song he played (he was a huge ELO fan). I had never heard this song before and was terrified that the devil was speaking directly to me via backward masking at the beginning. I decided halfway through that the song was so awesome that it was worth the damage to my eternal soul. :devil:

I've been too distracted today to really listen to the 25's, but one song in particular really grabbed my attention and caused me to momentarily stop what I was doing.

Taylor Swift.

That's the second countdown in which she's done that and while it's not the same album I noticed both tracks were released within the last 3 years. I am starting to wonder if I need to give recent albums from her a spin...
One of the bigger WTF??s for me this countdown is her #25. I loved the first song on this thing. I heard the piano kick in, was excited for another one, then heard some booming bassy dude singing. I didn't know what was going on for a bit. :lol: I didn't like it quite as much because of Bon Iver, but it don't think her pipes and talent can be questioned by people listening.

I really like Narayan by The Prodigy. So much so that I went and listened to the album its on.
I think it is by far the best song on the album (which includes yesterday's song by them and one I'm pretty sure is forthcoming - no spotlighting!!!).

Thanks to @titusbramble by voluminous 1997 playlist (1997 - We don't care about no government warnings) is all the way up to 26 songs! (As point of reference, 2023 already has 78 songs. Remember: void.)

🙏

I really like Narayan by The Prodigy. So much so that I went and listened to the album its on.
I think it is by far the best song on the album (which includes yesterday's song by them and one I'm pretty sure is forthcoming - no spotlighting!!!).

Thanks to @titusbramble by voluminous 1997 playlist (1997 - We don't care about no government warnings) is all the way up to 26 songs! (As point of reference, 2023 already has 78 songs. Remember: void.)

🙏

Cornershop reference, nice

🙏

Cornershop reference, nice
All of my 61 annual playlists are entitled YEAR - SONG LYRIC, so yeah, Brimful of Asha was on heavy rotation for me in 1997.

Hop into the way-back machine with me and travel all the way to...June 10.

Only hearted six songs on the #29s list, and one was half-hearted. It might be that I already knew more of these than on the other lists, so not as many new ones to choose from. Or the 29s sucked.

Not hearted but appreciated: "A Beautiful Noise" by Brandi Carlile and Alicia Keys. Strong vocals, beautiful song. Also as previously mentioned, this list featured my favorite Rush song so far.

Making the new-to-me playlist:

- "Hideaway" by Todd Rundgren - sounded like Hall & Oates to me at first, but much better.
- "Eu Vou Torcer" by Jorge Ben Jor - I think he has the most selections on my playlist now, with three?
- "Veridis Quo" by Daft Punk - I feel like maybe I've heard this before. I wasn't sure about putting it on my list since I don't know if I'd ever seek it out, but I've listened to it twice already so maybe I will.
- "Spices" by The Hold Steady - this was my half-heart. Need to listen more as I'm not quite sure if I love or hate it.
- "Under the Westway" by Blur - actually come to think of it I think this dude is tied with Jorge Ben Jor for appearances on my playlist.
- "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything" by Bauhaus - think this might not be new to me either, but I'd forgotten it.

Daft Punk, Blur, and Bauhaus tie as my favorites of this list.

Special Shout-Out: I'm not much of a Heart fan, but if "Alone" doesn't make you stand up, sway, and flick your lighter open, you have no soul.

Tbe 25s

Brandi Carlile/Mainstream Kid - my favorite of hers so far
Genesis/Abacab - Holds a special place for me because it was on one of the first tapes I bought with my own money when I was 9 (K-Tel's Hit Express from 1982)
Rush/Closer to the Heart - My favorite song ever about philosophers and ploughmen
Taylor Swift/exile - This is amazing. Easily my favorite of the day.
The Stranglers/Sweden - After hearing this, I think Art Brut owes their career to the Stranglers
I Want You - Had no idea Ryan Adams could do power pop. Love this.
Alice in Chains/Rotten Apple - Great choice from my favorite AiC record
Foo Fighters/Best of You - Exhibit A for why the Foos are likely the best American band of a generation

Knew 8 from the 25's and realized later that the Spoon and Elton songs had been previously liked by me.
The Swift song is my favorite (so far) of the 3-4 songs of hers I know.
The ELO, AIC and Foo songs are in their top 5 for me
Todd,Brandi and Big Theif songs were really good today
Surprised to hear an old Bon Scott vocal I've never heard of. Sounds like a mashup of Ride On and the Jack
I have mostly really liked the music of the Hold Steady and Phish (especially today's) I can't stand either vocalist.

- "Veridis Quo" by Daft Punk - I feel like maybe I've heard this before. I wasn't sure about putting it on my list since I don't know if I'd ever seek it out, but I've listened to it twice already so maybe I will.

You might have. I haven't picked it before in drafts but it was pretty well-known. It probably shouldn't have been #29, either. Bear with me on the Daft Punk selections. The list is suspect. It's not the artist, it's the...

Selecter!

(say it with a Jamaican accent)

Actually, the list isn't bad. There might be an omission or two or even three that I'd like to have back (I'll talk about it when when the lists are revealed), but it's not terrible where I'm seriously regretting it. Just half regretting it, because two of the omissions have grown on me since we turned the lists in. One had serious auto-tune, and this demographic hates auto-tune, so that was easy to leave off.

But really, I'm looking for any excuse to both say "selecter" without irony and also bring up Flight Of The Conchords.

Selecter!

Wheel it back, I'm feeling that - Mos Def

You might have. I haven't picked it before in drafts but it was pretty well-known. It probably shouldn't have been #29, either. Bear with me on the Daft Punk selections. The list is suspect. It's not the artist, it's the...

Selecter!
I resemble that remark.

I missed that. Is he torturing a muppet...

LOL. (Unironic LOL, which I'm finding out has been dead for years, and makes me feel sad as I've just adopted it. :crying:)

The kids aren't alright.

I saw two of them today at Starbucks. The girls. Their outfits intentionally clashed, just horribly. They were neatly done-up, too, just with these outfits I can't really describe. I subsequently looked around the area for somebody selling speed to make sure they weren't on any. I can report there is no speed around here. So instead I bought a Red Bull and a Starbucks and am now bing'd out, as the kids might say. (Okay, they don't say that. I do. But it would be a lot cooler if they did.)

This is your intrepid cub reporter for KMAD (Middle-Aged Dummies, dummy), signing off.

Last edited:
Big fan of the #28s! Ten hearts, plus lots of "almosts" and several all-time favorites (the Ryan Adams, Ray Charles, Modest Mouse, and Stevie Wonder songs in particular). Favorite one so far, I think.

In the "not quite my thing for re-listens but really great to hear them" category: "It Ain't Love But It Ain't Bad" by Slade; "Your Decision" by Alice in Chains, "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" by AC/DC (especially loved this one but just don't see myself firing it up); the first half ("What Did I Do?") of the Foo Fighters track; "Roadblox" by The Prodigy; and "The Witch" by Heart (sooo close to putting this one on the list).
Making my playlist:

- "Insatiable (Two)" by AYWKUZZXXTUB19fji - over the years I've heard songs from them that I like, but I think I've avoided listening more because I despise the artist name. Could someone help me get over that hump by giving me some clever reason for it? In any case, I think this is my third saved track from them, so I appreciate being forced into the listen.
- "Have Another Drink" by The Kinks - first of their songs that I don't think I already knew, and of course it makes my list.
- "Isjaki" by Sigur Ros - gave them respect on the first selection of theirs I saved by copying the title and artist name with all the accents, but on my third playlist of the day I can no longer spend the time. :lol:
- "Macy's Day Parade" by Green Day - really enjoying the diverse types of music selected from them. Showing unexpected range. This could be a 1990s Paul McCartney song. Probably from the album NEW; probably produced by Giles Martin.
- "Paul" by Big Thief - also enjoying the range of styles here.
- "What's This World Comin' To" by Chicago - HELL YES. That's how you do horns. And everything damn other thing. Gold medal!
- "Billy Breathes" by Phish - two Phish songs saved already? What's this world comin' to, indeed.
- "The Sweet Party of the City" by The Hold Steady - this sounds very much like some artist I can't put my finger on, but it's an artist I don't like. Yet I very much like this. I can't explain it.
- "The Good, the Bad & the Queen" by what I assume is some version of that guy Eephus selected. My silver medalist. All the rest tie for the bronze.
- "Do I Have To Talk You Into It" by Spoon - another beneficiary of the two-minute rule, as I enjoyed the twists and turns increasingly throughout the song.

Special Shout-Out (song category) to the backing band for Warren Zevon's "Dirty Life and Times". I thought the harmonies were so gorgeous that I looked it up to see who played on the song, and look at this!

Special Shout-Out (artist category) to the curation of the Elliott Smith playlist. It's been a fantastic blend of his different albums and time periods. People tend to focus just on a couple of his albums, so I love seeing the breadth of the selections.

Last edited:
I think with that post, I've now covered each artist at least once on a favorite, a near-favorite, or a special shout-out...except Bruce Springsteen. He was on the verge with the #28 song, "Murder Incorporated," but then the somewhat jarring sax solo came. I realize he'll have a lot of sax, but some of it will be more seamlessly incorporated into a song. Maybe in the #27s!

I think with that post, I've now covered each artist at least once on a favorite, a near-favorite, or a special shout-out...except Bruce Springsteen. He was on the verge with the #28 song, "Murder Incorporated," but then the somewhat jarring sax solo came. I realize he'll have a lot of sax, but some of it will be more seamlessly incorporated into a song. Maybe in the #27s!
No sax, or violins, in the #25 which is a tune I hearted. 👍

- "Macy's Day Parade" by Green Day - really enjoying the diverse types of music selected from them. Showing unexpected range.
:wub:
When I unexpectedly saw how many were interested in them when debating what group to do this is exactly what I set out to do. Glad you're enjoying it s far :suds:

"Wading in the Velvet Sea" by Phish - what??? This was one where my "listen to two minutes no matter what" rule was very helpful. The repetitive bit at the beginning wasn't doing much for me, but by the time I was finished with the entire song, I decided to give it half my third-place vote for this group.

Probably a good rule for a lot of these Phish songs. If you don't like after 30 seconds, skip ahead to the 2 minute mark, and then again to the 5 minute mark before you decide to skip.

The Sigur Ros song definitely sounds like Radiohead. And yes, is the Hopelandic really all that different from Thom Yorke singing something like Idioteque? :laugh:
The beginning of the Big Thief song also kind of sounds like Radiohead. :eek: The chord patterns of the guitars and the tom-heavy drums, in particular.
exile has quite a dramatic arrangement and vocal dynamic between TSwift and the Bon Iver dude.
The Elliott Smith song sounds like low-budget Beatles. I dig.
The Stranglers' dis of Sweden is clever, down to the naming of types of clouds.
If Neil Young played lead guitar for Big Star, it would sound like the Ryan Adams song. Another way to put this: It sounds like Teenage Fanclub.
The chorus of OK Yesterday Was Yesterday is the Slade we all know -- you can hear the resemblance to Mama Weer All Crazee Now -- but the rest of the song sounds like Mott the Hoople on speed.
Forget the Swan from the first Dinosaur Jr. album sounds like R.E.M. if they huffed paint before recording. I guess the sound we associate them with didn't really take shape until You're Living All Over Me.
Another winner from Doves -- I would easily sit through a whole album of songs like that.
I have heard The Way We Get By before. Had no idea it was Spoon. The piano and bass recall the Beatles; the vocals definitely do not.

I haven't had much time to comment a lot in here. Please know I appreciate everyone's labor of love for putting these lists together, even if I don't comment on them.

25 thoughts...
  • I chose Abacab as my favorite Genesis song in my top 1500 thread. But I need to rethink that. I still appreciate it, but I need to dive more into their proggy stuff. Waiting to see what else is posted in this thread.
  • Probably my favorite Trail of the Dead song so far. This one may actually get a heart.
  • Fire On High - awesome song, I don't think I've ever heard that first minute before.
  • More goodness from Decemberists, Dino Jr, Hold Steady, Spoon, Foo,

Started The 25s tonight but got cut short. Will finish tomorrow.

Mainstream Kid sounds like BC channeling Carrie Brownstein at the beginning. Loved this one.
Vegas is another favorite of mine from Big Thief. I know later albums are more lauded but their debut is still my favorite.
Exile is quite a lovely song. I don't listen to much Taylor Swift but I'm a big Bon Iver fan and thought this was very good.
King's Crossing is a top 10 Elliot Smith song for me.

Users who are viewing this thread