What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

I can’t address the dumbness of the name but most people just call them Trail of Dead. Feel free to shorten even further to “Tod”. We are all “Trailies” (thanks England). There’s a video interview out there I’ll try and remember to post later when not on the phone.

Todays #24 track I regret a little, for two reasons.. first, because it’s part one of a two-part piece, we’ve already heard part two and part two is better anyway. Or at least, has more to it. But as I said before we started, ad nauseum I’m sure, I wanted a bad *** playlist and we’re hearing it backwards.

Also, it is misnamed online - these guys don’t seem to give much of a damn about such matters because it ain’t just Spotify either - so @KarmaPolice please note the name of the track in the link I provided. It should sound familiar :)

Last edited:
For the 25's I had a few hearts

Mainstream Kid - Brandi Carlile - think I have at least liked, if not loved, 5 of the seven of her tunes. Love the music in this one, still somewhat unsure of the vocal.
Heart of Gold - The Kinks - not a big Kinks fan (crazy, i know) but liked this one a fair bit
She - Green Day - I know most of the hits and everything off of American Idiot but starting to think I should dig deeper into their discography
exile - Swift/Iver - Taylor is 2-for-2.
Streets of Philadelphia - haven't heard this one in 100 years. Love the somber tone.
Family Band - Tragically Hip - One of theirs I was unfamiliar with and liked it a lot

Closer To The Heart - Rush - Great tune. I'm not sure of the Rush selections are random or in order but if the latter I'm surprised how many that I know and love have come up already.
Abacab - Genesis - One of my favorites (top 5?) by the band

Still great reading all the stories, comments and banter by everyone in here. Lots to great music ahead!

I missed these 25's on the first spin, again - distracted, so I'm glad I queued it up for a 2nd time this morning. Both Brandi Carlile's Mainstream Kid and The Decemberists Make You Better are right in my wheel house. I echo @falguy - Carlile has been the surprise of the countdown so far.

We'll see what else I missed...

I appreciate everyone giving Brandi Carlile a chance. This tranche of four songs are a group of early album releases that I think the band eventually improved on with bigger/later albums (e.g. adding strings/piano). Mainstream Kid is from 2015 and really incorporates the twins. Today's song is a similar identity-focused song from the Story. I probably should have put this group in chronological order to show how the sound develops over the albums, but I ended up going by preference.

Last edited:
I apologize for jumping the gun on the #24's, but since my list doesn't start until 23, I wanted to put something out as sort of an intro...

This thread has revealed a couple of interesting things to me; first, I've left a lot of good artists and songs on the table, and second, I didn't know the songs on my list as well as I thought I did.

I'm truly impressed and not just a little intimidated by the display of knowledge shared here, I can only hope my own commentaries can come close to what's been offered so far.

Because understanding context and subtext are both things I have to work at, I sifted through a lot of other people's thoughts about many of the songs on my list in order to gain more insight about my choices. In the end, I'm glad I chose to do that, as they helped with my appreciation of my choices.

I don't feel fully equipped to give a proper introduction to Donald Fagen, but the persona his music, songs, lyrics and choice of subject matter combine to create is what resonates with me. He acts more like an eyewitness to than a participant in the culture/world around him. Some may see that as jaded or aloof or cynical; maybe it's all three, but I know that in my case, it's how I stay sane in a crazy world. The fact that he uses jazz as the foundation for exercising his creativity gives him extra layers to work in without appearing self-indulgent, and his pursuit of perfection betrays his true passion for his art.

Many if not most people's first response to his band Steely Dan's music is to mention its abundance of 'drug-related' references. I can't say that's not true, but I will say that in light of all the genius Fagen poured into his music for so long, he probably wasn't/isn't much of a user. He has sustained such an amazing quality for so long that there's no way he or the quality of his songs wouldn't have been derailed by now. To me, it's more like the culture around him was so drug addled and absurd that he had a front row seat to everything, and his mind is/was clear to capture it all without having been conquered by it, and having been a Literature major, he had the words to do it right.

As for highlights, I've already mentioned earlier his first solo album, The Nightfly, and how it's quasi-autobiographical. I don't think every song tells a chapter of his life, but every song on the album brings to life for me the late 50's/early 60's era and vibe that Fagen himself seemed to experience, and I feel I know him a little better because of it. It may not hit anyone else that way, but at the very least, it's one thing I feel like I 'get'.

:hophead:

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone giving Brandi Carlile a chance. This tranche of four songs are a group of early album releases that I think the band eventually improved on with bigger/later albums (e.g. adding strings/piano). Mainstream Kid is from 2015 and really incorporates the twins. Today's song is a similar identity-focused song from the Story. I probably should have put this group in chronological order to show how the sound develops over the albums, but I ended up going by preference.
I haven't posted much about others' selections, but I was really glad when I saw you chose Brandi Carlile as your artist. Just to my dumb ears, she's fantastic. But other artists of all stripes adore her and that is something I weigh heavily when trying to assess how "good" someone is.

Except with Billy Joel.

I think with that post, I've now covered each artist at least once on a favorite, a near-favorite, or a special shout-out...except Bruce Springsteen. He was on the verge with the #28 song, "Murder Incorporated," but then the somewhat jarring sax solo came. I realize he'll have a lot of sax, but some of it will be more seamlessly incorporated into a song. Maybe in the #27s!

so here's the thing. That song is a good one, but only really a live version is what matters. When that one comes in live, it just kicks. As soon as you get this one, you KNOW you're in for a great concert.

- "Macy's Day Parade" by Green Day - really enjoying the diverse types of music selected from them. Showing unexpected range.
:wub:
When I unexpectedly saw how many were interested in them when debating what group to do this is exactly what I set out to do. Glad you're enjoying it s far :suds:

I was a Green Day very early adopter but lost the thread along the way. This is a wonderful re-introduction!

I think with that post, I've now covered each artist at least once on a favorite, a near-favorite, or a special shout-out...except Bruce Springsteen. He was on the verge with the #28 song, "Murder Incorporated," but then the somewhat jarring sax solo came. I realize he'll have a lot of sax, but some of it will be more seamlessly incorporated into a song. Maybe in the #27s!

so here's the thing. That song is a good one, but only really a live version is what matters. When that one comes in live, it just kicks. As soon as you get this one, you KNOW you're in for a great concert.

Thanks, I'll check out a live version!

I apologize for jumping the gun on the #24's, but since my list doesn't start until 23, I wanted to put something out as sort of an intro...

This thread has revealed a couple of interesting things to me; first, I've left a lot of good artists and songs on the table, and second, I didn't know the songs on my list as well as I thought I did.

I'm truly impressed and not just a little intimidated by the display of knowledge shared here, I can only hope my own commentaries can come close to what's been offered so far.

Because understanding context and subtext are both things I have to work at, I sifted through a lot of other people's thoughts about many of the songs on my list in order to gain more insight about my choices. In the end, I'm glad I chose to do that, as they helped with my appreciation of my choices.

I don't feel fully equipped to give a proper introduction to Donald Fagen, but the persona his music, songs, lyrics and choice of subject matter combine to create is what resonates with me. He acts more like an eyewitness to than a participant in the culture/world around him. Some may see that as jaded or aloof or cynical; maybe it's all three, but I know that in my case, it's how I stay sane in a crazy world. The fact that he uses jazz as the foundation for exercising his creativity gives him extra layers to work in without appearing self-indulgent, and his pursuit of perfection betrays his true passion for his art.

Many if not most people's first response to his band Steely Dan's music is to mention its abundance of 'drug-related' references. I can't say that's not true, but I will say that in light of all the genius Fagen poured into his music for so long, he probably wasn't/isn't much of a user. He has sustained such an amazing quality for so long that there's no way he or the quality of his songs wouldn't have been derailed by now. To me, it's more like the culture around him was so drug addled and absurd that he had a front row seat to everything, and his mind is/was clear to capture it all without having been conquered by it, and having been a Literature major, he had the words to do it right.

As for highlights, I've already mentioned earlier his first solo album, The Nightly, and how it's quasi-autobiographical. I don't think every song tells a chapter of his life, but every song on the album brings to life for me the late 50's/early 60's era and vibe that Fagen himself seemed to experience, and I feel I know him a little better because of it. It may not hit anyone else that way, but at the very least, it's one thing I feel like I 'get'.

Walter Becker had extensive well-documented drug problems. Fagen, not so much.

As for highlights, I've already mentioned earlier his first solo album, The Nightly, and how it's quasi-autobiographical. I don't think every song tells a chapter of his life, but every song on the album brings to life for me the late 50's/early 60's era and vibe that Fagen himself seemed to experience, and I feel I know him a little better because of it. It may not hit anyone else that way, but at the very least, it's one thing I feel like I 'get'.

Walter Becker had extensive well-documented drug problems. Fagen, not so much.
Can't imagine how their dynamic played out behind the scenes, but their output was pure greatness.

Wrapping up the 25's - new hearts (Pip>hi) isn't a new thing for Daft Punk and Tragically Hip, but while all of the Bauhaus to this point has been outside of my comfort zone this oddity connected.

Also, a not new to me note - Rotten Apple is a top 10 Alice in Chains track (maybe top 5)

Also finished the 25s this morning---of the stuff I'm less familiar with I really like the songs from Ray Charles, The Prodigy, Tragically Hip and deadmau5 (I also meant to note that Some Chords by deadmau5 on the 26s list was my favorite so far).

The 27s!

Several known favorites ("Float On," "New York, New York" and "If You Really Love Me") and some new not-quite-my-style-but-great listens, such as my favorites so far from Brandi Carlile ("Mama Werewolf") and deadmau5 ("...Seeya") and another good track from The Prodigy ("You'll Be UNDER MY WHEELS" - why the shouting).

Making my playlist:

- "Rita Jeep" by Jorge Ben Jor - in a sea of favorited songs from him, this is my favorite to this point. Dylan vibes. Favorite from the 27s.
- "Stang's Swang" by SRV - welcome back to my favorites, fella. Love this jazzy one.
- "We All Die Young" by The Decemberists - OH walked in while I was listening to this one. "Who's that?" "The Decemberists." "I liked it better before I knew that." Setting OH's surliness aside...look at this! That's my friend Nora in the red top on the right, doing the shouty parts and playing guitar.
- "Forgotten Eyes" by Big Thief
- "Face to Face" by Daft Punk
- "End of Miles" by Frank Black - coming in third for me on this list
- "Prisoners" by Doves - more late-period Dovey goodness
- "No Bullets Spent" by Spoon
- "The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine" by Simon & Garfunkel - Kinks-ian feel! Second favorite on this playlist.
- "Dancing" by Bauhaus
- "So Hard Done By" by The Tragically Hip

Special Shout-Out: Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce. I swear I didn't know this was coming up today, after pointing out last night he was the only one I hadn't mentioned yet. "Trapped" has been my favorite song from him since the first time I heard it, and I've yet to see any reason to change my opinion. But we'll see what comes up on the Bruce playlist, and maybe it will happen!

Last edited:
- "We All Die Young" by The Decemberists - OH walked in while I was listening to this one. "Who's that?" "The Decemberists." "I liked it better before I knew that." Setting OH's surliness aside...look at this! That's my friend Nora in the red top on the right, doing the shouty parts and playing guitar.
Wow! Brush with greatness! What's the backstory on the Kimmel appearance?

Not sure who OH is but at least [insert appropriate pronoun here] liked it initially. :shrug:

Wow! Brush with greatness! What's the backstory on the Kimmel appearance?

Not sure who OH is but at least [insert appropriate pronoun here] liked it initially. :shrug:

Nora, and Kelly Hogan beside her, has recorded and toured with The Decemberists for years, though they've never become official members. They're both part of my former Chicago crew (the city not the band), though I don't know Kelly well.

OH is Oliver Humanzee, who lives with me and posts here in a lot of the music drafts and threads, though he's taken this one off. He was in the three middle-aged dummy countdowns and could show up in another of these countdowns later, though Pip would warn you that if OH selects an artist, it might be someone who sounds like a shouty homeless guy.

By the way, I'm not sure why some people keep getting "The Decembrists" out of the band name instead of "The Decemberists," but it's the latter. More surprisingly, Brandi's name is actually "Carlile" not "Carlisle." I keep having to correct that latter one in my posts, too.

By the way, I'm not sure why some people keep getting "The Decembrists" out of the band name instead of "The Decemberists," but it's the latter. More surprisingly, Brandi's name is actually "Carlile" not "Carlisle." I keep having to correct that latter one in my posts, too.
The original posting by z had this error and it has carried through ever since.

At the beginning of this I thought it was Belinda Carlisle for some reason.

That could be a fun one...

The original posting by z had this error and it has carried through ever since.

Ahhhhh, I see.

You know your selection is relatively obscure when it’s misspelled in the reveal list.

I have as much love for Sigur Ros as I do Ghostbusters and Karate Kid 2, but for very different reasons.
Yep

The Decembrist Revolt took place in Russia on 26 December [O.S. 14 December] 1825, following the sudden death of Emperor Alexander

It would be a tough task to find 31 songs from the Decembrists, so I went with the Decemberists.
I tried.
:kicksrock:

I haven't posted much about others' selections, but I was really glad when I saw you chose Brandi Carlile as your artist. Just to my dumb ears, she's fantastic. But other artists of all stripes adore her and that is something I weigh heavily when trying to assess how "good" someone is.

Except with Billy Joel.
Best Friends Forever
My guess is that someone told Stevie that was Sylvester Stallone.

@Eephus I was supposed to see the band X and the Squirrel Nut Zippers with some friends in Charlotte Saturday, and we got a postponed message today. It said they had to postpone the show due to an emergency medical procedure with a band member of X. It didn't say which band member, but I was just passing it on cause I know your wife is friends with Exene.

Thanks for posting this. Mrs. E got her shingles shot on Tuesday and has been semi-conscious so this was news to her..

Damon Albarn Song #25

Blur - "Charmless Man" from The Great Escape (1995)

I've ranked "Charmless Man" even though Damon disavows it today due to associations with a bad time in his life. Blur hasn't performed it live since reuniting.

There's a bit of Bowie in the vocal as usual but the lyrics remind me more of the Kinks' sardonic portraits of English characters. The charmless man referenced in the lyrics is allegedly based on Brett Anderson, the singer from Suede (The London Suede over here) and a romantic rival of Albarn for the tender charms of Justine Frischmann of Elastica.

"Charmless Man" was the fourth and final single from The Great Escape album. As such, it represents the end of the Britpop era for Blur. The band would have a very different sound when next heard from in 1997.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/7lJ9MeQgqHlBrE69omD4rN

Live on Conan (1996)

@Eephus I was supposed to see the band X and the Squirrel Nut Zippers with some friends in Charlotte Saturday, and we got a postponed message today. It said they had to postpone the show due to an emergency medical procedure with a band member of X. It didn't say which band member, but I was just passing it on cause I know your wife is friends with Exene.

Thanks for posting this. Mrs. E got her shingles shot on Tuesday and has been semi-conscious so this was news to her..
I had my shingles shot(s) last year (aren't there a series of them or is that one of the other 12,000 shots I've gotten in the last 3 years?). They didn't knock me back too much, other than the 18-foot needle they use. I thought I was in a jousting tournament. I hope Mrs E feels better soon.

24's PLAYLIST

#24-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatLittle Red Lights
Jorge Ben JorDon QuixoteAgora Ninguém Chora Mais

Brandi CarlileJB Breakfast ClubMy Song - the Story
The PoliceZegras11Voices Inside My Head
Modest MouseThe Dreaded MarcoTeeth Like God's Shoeshine
GenesisYo MamaThe Knife
Stevie Ray VaughanSullieDirty Pool (Live at Montreux 1982)
The Decemberistskupcho1Don't Carry It All
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of DeadplinkoInsatiable (One)
The Century Of Self (2009) (online track is misnamed)
The KinksGalileoA Rock n’ Roll Fantasy (1978 - Misfits)
RushhigginsLakeside Park
Sigur RósScoresmanUntitled #4 ("Njósnavélin") (The Spy Machine) - () - 2002
Donald FagenCharlie Steiner
Green DayMAC_32Whatsername
Big ThiefIlov80sComa
Daft PunkrockactionToo Long/Steam Machine
Taylor SwiftJpalmermy tears ricochet
Elliott SmithTuffnuttThe White Lady Loves You More

ChicagoPip's Invitation(I've Been) Searchin' So Long
The StranglersJohn Maddens LunchboxDuchess
Ryan AdamsDr. OctopusTwo
Stevie WonderUruk-HaiBlowin' In The Wind
SladeMrs. RannousGood Time Gals
PhishshukeHalfway to the Moon
Electgric Light Orchestra (ELO)jwbStandin’ in the Rain
Frank BlackMister CIASing For Joy
ClutchRaging WeaselArcadia
Dinosaur Jr.KarmaPoliceMind Glow
Warren ZevonworrierkingFrank and Jesse James
An exhibition of his songwriting versatility, this western beerhall number opened the eponymous Album (I would call it his debut, but he had recorded a record in the late 60s that is mercifully hard to find). It's got great piano on it. He was a classical piano prodigy as a child and actually studied briefly under Igor Stravinsky. Later, he came to hate the piano and focused on the guitar, and even had to be bribed to play piano in later sessions. Most agree he should have stuck with piano as his guitar work was inconsistent.
Alice in ChainsMt. ManGrind
QueensnellmanWe Are The Champions
AC/DCfalguyLandslide
The Hold SteadscorchyCarlos is Crying
Damon AlbarnEephusDamon Albarn --- The Selfish Giant
Ray Charlessimey
Doveslandrys hatN.Y.
SpoonHov34WhisperI'lllistentohearit

Foo FightersJust Win BabyLearn To Fly
Simon & Garfunkelzamboni"Save the Life of My Child"
Bruce SpringsteenDrIanMalcolmBurning Train
The ProdigytitusbrambleWild Frontier
Bauhausotb_liferDeparture
HeartDoug BBebe Le Strange
The Tragically HipNorthern VoiceNow the Struggle Has a Name
deadmau5zazaleThe 16th Hour
Elton JohntimschochetMellow

I had my shingles shot(s) last year (aren't there a series of them or is that one of the other 12,000 shots I've gotten in the last 3 years?). They didn't knock me back too much, other than the 18-foot needle they use. I thought I was in a jousting tournament. I hope Mrs E feels better soon.
The shingles vaccine is a two dose series, 2-6 months apart. And it knocks a lot of people on their butts—definitely more so than the COVID vaccine for most.

I had my first dose last month and the side effects were far worse than any of my 4 or 5 COVID vaccines I’ve had.

#24 Genesis - The Knife

Album - Trespass
Year - 1970

We get back to our second song from Trespass. As Pip mentioned a while back, this was the bands first “real” album and they did a bunch of experimenting throughout the album.

I love this song because it has such a different darker / harder feel to it (TWSS). It still has the trademark theatrical Genesis moments with varying sections throughout, but has much more menace to it than they have in most of their other work. It also has some great guitar work about 5-6 minutes into it that I love.

The shingles vaccine is a two dose series, 2-6 months apart. And it knocks a lot of people on their butts—definitely more so than the COVID vaccine for most.

I had my first dose last month and the side effects were far worse than any of my 4 or 5 COVID vaccines I’ve had.
IIRC, the 2nd COVID shot kicked my *** worse than any of the shingles shots. But I could well be misremembering and confusing them. I DO remember the needle as being a bad mofo for the shingles shots, though. My arm hurt for a week.

The King is Dead is the Decemberists album I’ve listened to the most - only one I had on CD back then. I’ll love all those songs.

Haven’t actually started the playlist yet.

I've noticed a lot of the Queen songs selected so far have come from their last two albums, The Miracle and Innuendo. Wondering if @snellman is just more into this period than the classic Queen catalogue or if we're just getting these songs out of the way before getting to the real "meat".

Either way, they're been a nice addition to the mix and as I've said previously, I'm glad some classic rock artists are mixed in with some of the newer acts.
I am younger by Queen standards - 51, so the later albums had a lot more influence on my than the earlier albums. There are plenty of good songs on the earlier albums than are "not well known" but I am a little more partial to the later work.

Users who are viewing this thread