What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

#22 - Ray Charles and The Blues Brothers - Shake A Tail Feather
Ray recorded "Shake A Tail Feather" for the Blues Brothers Soundtrack and movie in 1980. It's a fun tune that a lot of people know.

I also want to shine a little light on another song he did for a movie. He did "In the Heat of the Night" in 1967 for the 1967 film by the same name that starred Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger. The song was written specifically for the movie. Quincy Jones composed the music, and Marilyn and Allan Bergman wrote the lyrics. Ray also released a single of the song that has a sax intro. The song in the movie appears at the very beginning during the opening credits and sets the mood. Ray sings and plays piano, The Raelettes back him up, and Billy Preston is prominent on the organ. I love Ray's falsetto at the end.

Last edited:
#22 If You Want Blood (You've Got It) (Highway to Hell)

Back-to-back songs from this great album which was, unfortunately, Bon’s last. Here’s another rocker that has a great intro. This is one aspect of their earlier stuff that I like more than the later songs. Song beginnings are interesting, they grab your attention. Aside from the big hits, the later albums have fewer songs that jump in and grab you from the start. Malcolm’s rhythm guitar is rock steady as usual.

Up next, on Thursday, is a concert favorite.

Album breakdown
0 74 Jailbreak
2 High Voltage
0 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
2 Let There Be Rock
1 PowerAge
2 Highway To Hell
1 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
1 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
0 Who Made Who
0 Blow Up Your Video
0 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
0 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

I’m so proud of myself!!

I’m watching the second season of The Bear (which I LOVE - highly recommend: this season is incredible) and I hear a song in the background that sounds familiar.

OMG - it’s one of my new favorite bands, the Decemberists! Great job, middle aged dummies!

Anyway, that show is awesome. Probably top 5 for me in the past 5 years or so.
They also played Taylor Swift and AC/DC, but I didn’t need you dummies to recognize them.
They play a lot of good music in it. I've seen the first 5 episodes of this season, and I may watch one or two more tonight. Carmy has some sexy hair.

RushhigginsBetween the Wheels
Excellent call @higgins. This song moves. Great tempo, that's what stands out to me first and foremost about Between the Wheels.

Although there's a pretty decent synth presence on this song, which is the case for all of the songs on Grace Under Pressure, I would classify Between the Wheels as an Alex song. His solo, which kicks in just after the 3:30 mark, is one of his better solos on the album. At a manageable 5:44, the song does kind of fall apart at the end, but the lyrics are very interesting, a bit dystopian, a bit futuristic, but not in a sci-fi kind of way. Geddy's vocals are more singing than shrieking, but for those who just can't do Geddy's voice, this one may be a bit tougher to deal with than some of the other picks thus far.

I mean, I love it obviously. It's Grace Under Pressure. There are a couple of other songs on the album that I can see as potential candidates for this countdown, but Between the Wheels is quite possibly the best song on the album.

"Frozen in that fatal climb, but the wheels of time just pass you by"

22 Sigur Ros - Hljómalind

Not too much to write about this one. I just love how the chorus hooks. Hljómalind was the name of the only indie record store in Iceland at the time. The name "Hljómalind" is made up of two words, "hljóma-", which means sounds or chords, and "-lind", which means fountain, spring or well. It could be translated as "a wellspring of sounds" or "a fountain of music".

This is a pretty under the radar track, coming off of the compilation album that accompanied their concert documentary. As such, I don't have lyrics. I don't even know if it's Icelandic or Hopelandic.

#22 - Ray Charles and The Blues Brothers - Shake A Tail Feather
Ray recorded "Shake A Tail Feather" for the Blues Brothers Soundtrack and movie in 1980. It's a fun tune that a lot of people know.

I also want to shine a little light on another song he did for a movie. He did "In the Heat of the Night" in 1967 for the 1967 film by the same name that starred Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger. The song was written specifically for the movie. Quincy Jones composed the music, and Marilyn and Allan Bergman wrote the lyrics. Ray also released a single of the song that has a sax intro. The song in the movie appears at the very beginning during the opening credits and sets the mood. Ray sings and plays piano, The Raelettes back him up, and Billy Preston is prominent on the organ. I love Ray's falsetto at the end.
That's my favorite scene in the whole movie. "I'll throw in the black keys for free" :lol:

So glad you chose that song.

Did someone shake their tail feather too much? 🦚

My wife is disabled and has had several major spinal fusion surgeries. After her first surgery at Duke, she was in ICU recovery, and her parents and I were there. Visiting hours were ending, so her Dad was talking to her Mom and me about what time we would come back in the morning; we lived in Raleigh, so he was trying to estimate the driving time, traffic, etc., so he came up with a mid-morning time. My wife was on heavy pain medication and was in and out, but she heard this and beckoned to her Dad, who leaned down to hear her whisper: "Shake a tail feather, Dad!"

:-)

I’m so proud of myself!!

I’m watching the second season of The Bear (which I LOVE - highly recommend: this season is incredible) and I hear a song in the background that sounds familiar.

OMG - it’s one of my new favorite bands, the Decemberists! Great job, middle aged dummies!

They also played Taylor Swift and AC/DC, but I didn’t need you dummies to recognize them.
They play a lot of good music in it. I've seen the first 5 episodes of this season, and I may watch one or two more tonight. Carmy has some sexy hair.
Episode 6 is up there with some of the best TV episodes ever IMO. Episode 7 is awesome too - I guess the whole rest of the season is amazing.

22 Sigur Ros - Hljómalind

Not too much to write about this one. I just love how the chorus hooks. Hljómalind was the name of the only indie record store in Iceland at the time. The name "Hljómalind" is made up of two words, "hljóma-", which means sounds or chords, and "-lind", which means fountain, spring or well. It could be translated as "a wellspring of sounds" or "a fountain of music".

This is a pretty under the radar track, coming off of the compilation album that accompanied their concert documentary. As such, I don't have lyrics. I don't even know if it's Icelandic or Hopelandic.
I like this one

I can't watch the Bear, all the yelling triggers me :crazy:

22s might be my favorite so far. Ones I particularly liked:

Brandi Carlile
Jorge
The Police - this sounded familiar but still think it's new to me.
Genesis - just a great prog rock tune
AYWKUBTTOTD
Big Thief
Chicago - really been enjoying hearing new stuff from them.4
Stranglers - I love songs in french.
ELO
Clutch
Doves - favorite song so far.
Heart - the 80s memories/nostalgia floods back with songs like this. Best of the 22s for me.

Going to try and listen to today's playlist while watching the Habs screw up another draft pick later today. This way I won't have to listen to all the "experts" discuss the picks ad-nauseam .

Only recognize 3 song titles by name so should be interesting.

I know I love These Dreams - didn't know it was co-written by Bernie Taupin.

Green DayMAC_32?Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)
I love this song
I had a feeling before we started this thing that some cuts from 21st Century Breakdown would resonate with this crowd. While they went full blown rock opera with American Idiot in their follow up they appeared to approach it from more of an experimental perspective akin to what they did between Dookie and American Idiot...only instead of some misses some hits like before most of these hit. Whouda thunk it that Billy Joe on a piano would yield an album like this a decade prior, huh?

Brandi Carlile Tier 5: "Introducing the BC Sound"

The last four songs have been from albums before Brandi Carlile really broke through to the mainstream with By The Way, I Forgive You. Mainstream Kid and My Song include some lyrics about identity and how Brandi has struggled to find her fit in the world as a lesbian brought up Baptist (her church refused to baptize her as an out teenager). These early songs walked so the giant songs from BTWIFU and In These Silent Days could soar.

Fall Apart Again and Dreams show how the Brandi Carlile sound progressed from her self-titled debut (more solo singing, some warble in her voice that might indicate some uncertainty with her sound) to Give Up the Ghost, where the Hanseroth twins are fully engaged with harmonies.

The next eight songs include one each from every BC/Highwomen album. Now that I look at it, I could've put them in chronological order within the tier, but I went by my preference instead. We'll be bouncing between early and recent albums, and we're in the tier now that I could consider fringe "greatest hits" or live show songs.

Played so far:
Singles: 3/3
Self-titled debut: 1/2
the Story: 1/3
Give Up the Ghost: 1/4
Bear Creek: 1/3
the Firewatcher's Daughter: 1/4
By the Way, I Forgive You: 0/5
Highwomen: 1/2
In These Silent Days: 1/5

Last edited:
#22 Tired of Waiting For You (1965 - Kinda Kinks)

This song was actually written as part of the recording sessions for their debut album, Kinks. However, they decided to hold this one back. This song was originally softer, but after recording Dave Davies said: “The recording went well but there was something missing and it was my raunchy guitar sound. Ray and I were worried that putting that heavy-sounding guitar on top of a ponderous song might ruin it. Luckily it enhanced the recording, giving it a more cutting, emotional edge. In my opinion 'Tired Of Waiting' was the perfect pop record.” So after juicing it up a little bit, they struck gold. This song went to #1 in England and was their highest charting song in the US at #6. Can you believe #6 is the highest the Kinks ever hit in the US? It actually happened twice with another song to be revealed later in my rankings.

So tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

So tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

I was a lonely soul
I had nobody till I met you
But you keep a-me waiting
All of the time
What can I do?

It's your life
And you can do what you want
Do what you like
But please don't keep a-me waiting
Please don't keep a-me waiting

'Cause I'm so tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

So tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

I was a lonely soul
I had nobody till I met you
But you keep a-me waiting
All of the time
What can I do?

It's your life
And you can do what you want
Do what you like
But please don't keep a-me waiting
Please don't keep a-me waiting

'Cause I'm so tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

So tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you
For you
For you

PhishshukeCarini

This song isn't on any studio releases so you're subjected to a live version by default. I chose this one only because it's relatively short and that it happens to be the version on my workout playlist.

Entering "evil Phish" realm here, although I don't think the jams often venture that way.

If you want your faces melted and see a more recent version of CK5's lighting in action, here you go. A lot of great stuff here from each of the 4 members.

From phish.net: "The first of several strong outings for "Carini" in Summer '21 and the longest version to date is chock-full of melodious interplay in all stages and features key elements that would reappear as signature sounds of the tour - namely Trey's octave down throaty tone and quickfire delay riffs. At 19:30 Trey pushes for a more familiar peaking section but it pays off handsomely thanks to some expertly delivered trills."

Round 22 Thiughts

- Decemberists - I really liked this, nice chill vibe

- Trail of Dead - they have a lot more variety to their sound than I realized, this was really nice

- Sigur Ros - really enjoyed this, it sounds familiar to me for some reason (not sure if it’s from a movie or tv show or maybe just from another one of these drafts)

- Big Thief - this was great; as someone else already pointed out, I love the photos they use for album covers

- Taylor Swift - I’m only familiar with her radio hits, so it’s been fun hearing these other songs here, good stuff

- Stevie Wonder - such a great song; this was on a few of my old mixtapes (and now playlists)

- Queen - my favorite of their “newer” stuff, very proggy

- AC/DC - another Bear song!

- Simon & Garfunkel - a great song and an excellent recipe to boot

- Prodigy - Oh yeah! Great version of an excellent Public Enemy track

- Heart - my girlfriend at the time LOVED this song so I have some nice memories of this (look at me 35 years ago)

- Also really liked songs by Police, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rush, Hold Steady, Ray Charles, Doves, Spoon, Foos, Bauhaus, Deadmau5, pretty much everything.

@KarmaPolice I notice that The Police's "Bring on the Night" is on playlist #23 and #22. I think "The Bed's Too Big Without You" may go on #22 since Zegras posted it with the others last night.
Sorry all - I totally didn't see @Zegras11's follow up message about the incorrect link that I had. It should fixed now, thanks for letting me know and please do when something is wrong going forward too.

Book of Bad Decisions by Clutch

Let's GOOOOOOO. I really like this album while some of my Clutch friends aren't into it. I wonder if a third song from the album will make it, because, straight talk, it's one of my personal favorites
Ive wondered why it gets a bad rap too. And there are a couple more from this album and you won't have to wait too long to hear them.

Eta- plus, where else will you find a recipe for crab cakes set to music?

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 10: Stevie Nix

She said you remind me of Rod Stewart when he was young
Yeah, you've got passion and you think that you're sexy
And all the punks think that you're dumb

Album: Separation Sunday (song 2 of 5)

Year: 2005

# of Times Seen Live: 12 of 37 shows

The Story: A centerpiece for the redemption arc in my favorite Hold Steady album. Like a lot of their earlier work, Stevie Nix doesn’t have a chorus or repeat the title in the lyrics, relying on us to get the “White Swan” joke.

Live Notes: On the “bad” audience choreography side of things, a couple of recent shows have included fans bringing in berets who then toss them in the air when Mary Tyler Moore gets a call out.

I’m so proud of myself!!

We're four episodes into this season, and the song selections are out of this world. (Also I think this is shaping up to be even better than the first season, which I'd thought was lightning in a bottle and that they shouldn't even have a second one.)

Finally finished up the #23s today on my flight home from Atlanta. I was there for work but thanks to some black-clad folks I met at the hotel bar around 7 pm last night, went to see The Cure again on a free ticket (the good peeps wouldn't take my money even when I explained I was on per diem). Tomorrow it's a morning flight to Chicago when I can at least get started on the 22s.

The 22s

Brandi Carlile/Fall Apart Again - a couple more of these and Brandi can just go without saying a la Big Thief
Genesis/More Fool Me - I heard the Rod Steward/Faces thing too. Surprised me.
Modest Mouse/Heart Cooks Brain - sometimes I identify way to much with this one.
Taylor Swift - starting to get it. should have given her a chance earlier.
Ryan Adams/Bad Blood - had already heard this but reminded that a lot of time a cover helps you identify a great song.
Stevie Wonder/You Are The Sunshine... - a couple of the vocal inflections are a little odd but everything else totally won me over
Slade/Mama... - astounding how Kevin Dubrow attempted to sound exactly like Noddy Holder even on non-covers and I can't remember him ever getting called out on it (maybe he did, but I was 12 probably just didn't know).
Dinosaur Jr/Freak Scene - ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ The weirdness flows between us, anyone can tell to see us. Probably my favorite alt-rock song of all time. I wrote a love letter to it in my 1988 thread so won't repeat here.
Doves/Sea Song - Two in a row from the classis Doves era. Dreamy stuff.

Perpetually two playlists behind. :cry:

The 23s seemed to have turned a corner into having more favorite songs I already know than the prior ones had, including those from Stevie Wonder (You Are the Sunshine of My Life), Dinosaur Jr. (Freak Scene), Modest Mouse (Heart Cooks Brain), Ray Charles (Do I Ever Cross Your Mind), Doves (Sea Song), and Elton John (Empty Garden).

Making my playlist:
- "Black Maria" by Todd Rundgren - I'd need a map to understand the structure of this song, which I mean as a good thing. Silver medal for the 23s.
- "Oba, La Vem Ela" by Jorge Ben Jor - sounded like maybe a muted version of the Muppet-torture instrument here again. I dig that. The instrumentation crescendo was special.
- "More Fool Me" by Genesis - this was a "wow" for me. Totally unexpected. Stunning harmonies. Gold medalist!
- "Wasted State of Mind" by ... - the ... are really on a roll on my playlist.
- "Aerodynamic" by Daft Punk - my favorite from them so far. Really grabbed me from the beginning. Bronze medal today.
- "Sometimes" by the Stranglers - also on a playlist roll, and second song in a row where the keyboards stood out to me.
- "Bad Blood" by Ryan Adams - had no idea this was a cover until reading the thread. :bag:
- "Sand" by Phish - I'm shocked and impressed by the versatility of Phish. Another that grabbed me and held my interest throughout.
- "Selkie Bride" by Frank Black - I don't have a good idea of why I put some of his on my playlist and some don't make it. All are right in my wheelhouse.

Special Shout-Out to "Finding My Way" by Rush. When it started, I thought I'd come to the AC/DC song on the playlist, and then it started to sound very Led Zeppelin-esque. Both of those are compliments!

I’m so proud of myself!!

We're four episodes into this season, and the song selections are out of this world. (Also I think this is shaping up to be even better than the first season, which I'd thought was lightning in a bottle and that they shouldn't even have a second one.)
Oh yeah you are going to love the next couple episodes. I am only at ep 7 and I think 6 and 7 are the best the show has ever been.

Perpetually two playlists behind
Unfortunately, I'm falling into a similar problem as the last couple countdowns. Too distracted to actually listen and it's regressed to just background noise. The slower pace of this may leave me in a position to catch up this weekend before vacation, but while I'll try again each of the next two mornings I'm preparing as if it's a dead end until at least Saturday.

Still on the #23 playlist. New-to-me songs I enjoyed include those from: Jorge Ben Jor, Brandi Carlile, Modest Mouse, The Kinks, Sigur Ros, Green Day (f'd up lyrics, though), Daft Punk, Frank Black, Alice in Chains.

The Stranglers' Sometimes sounds like the Doors again -- yet it's supposed to be their "punk" song -- "punk" had a broader definition then than it does now.
STILL on #23. Work has been busy so I've not been able to listen during work hours. Almost done, finally.

Other things to shout out -- Ray's incredible vocal on Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, more excellent compositions from Doves and Spoon, a Tragically Hip song that kind of sounds like Neil, and my favorite Deadmau5 track so far -- extremely pleasurable for the mind and for the booty.

I’m so proud of myself!!

Oh yeah you are going to love the next couple episodes. I am only at ep 7 and I think 6 and 7 are the best the show has ever been.
Yeah those two episodes in particular are so incredible in completely different ways. Love it so much.

Perpetually two playlists behindsinc
Unfortunately, I'm falling into a similar problem as the last couple countdowns. Too distracted to actually listen and it's regressed to just background noise. The slower pace of this may leave me in a position to catch up this weekend before vacation, but while I'll try again each of the next two mornings I'm preparing as if it's a dead end until at least Saturday.

The slower pace helps here, but I have many, many more new-to-me songs to listen to each time since there are no duplicates, and since these are deep dives rather than top favorites. I started off in a huge hole by being on vacation for the first 10 days of the countdown, and now catching up with work/home stuff hasn't allowed me to get current. Hoping to make progress over the weekend, too!

#22 thoughts from the top of the playlist:

Magnolia is infectious. What a melody.

The Decemberists jawn sounds like Neutral Milk Hotel.

I haven't listened to Rush's Grace Under Pressure in probably 30 years so all its songs except Distant Early Warning are basically new to me. While synthy, Between the Wheels is indeed an Alex song -- the guitar drives it throughout. Reminds me of Vital Signs but with more '80s polish.

The Sigur Ros song is more "conventional" than the others but still conveys intense emotions. I'm guessing it's in Hopelandic because some of the "words" are the same as in other songs we know are Hopelandic.

The Taylor Swift song is gorgeous.

I finally had a chance to listen to the #25 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Genesis - Abacab
  • SRV - Leave My Girl Alone
  • Rush - Closer To The Heart
  • Bruce - Streets of Philadelphia
  • Spoon - The Way We Get By
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Decemberists - Make You Better
  • Taylor Swift, Bon Iver - exile
Keeping a running list, I have made a post like this for the first 7 playlists so far, and highlighted unfamiliar songs I liked the best from 18 artists:
  1. Blur
  2. Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
  3. Elliott Smith
  4. Big Thief
  5. Alice In Chains
  6. Green Day
  7. Phish
  8. Spoon (x2)
  9. ...And You Will Know...
  10. Daft Punk (x2)
  11. Stranglers
  12. Decemberists (x2)
  13. Warren Zevon
  14. Doves (x2)
  15. The Tragically Hip
  16. Deadmau5 (x2)
  17. Taylor Swift (x2)
  18. Black Francis
That is a lot of good stuff from artists mostly unfamiliar to me. 👍

Been super busy so had to give last couple rounds a quick listen.

23 favorites

Black Maria
You Don't Know My Name
No Reason
Do Ya - while this screams of "classic rock" that I've mostly grown out of, this is still one of my favorite songs by ELO. I'm starting to think I like this band a lot more than I thought I did.
Trouble Comes Running
Gus the Polar Bear

22 favorites

Dreams :heart:
Crane Wife
Relative Ways :heart: - winner so far for Trail of Dead
Tired of Waiting
Hljómalind - favorite Sigur Ros song so far
The Fitted Shirt - riff in this, especially after the 1:00 mark, sounds eerily like the one in Carini
Scarborough Fair - not typically my thing but I have to recognize how beautiful this song is

Turning Krista into a Phish fan. YES!!!

:) I've had several pleasant surprises in this countdown, but they might be the surprisiest.

Do Ya - while this screams of "classic rock" that I've mostly grown out of, this is still one of my favorite songs by ELO. I'm starting to think I like this band a lot more than I thought I did.
Between the middle-aged dummy countdowns and then this, I've found the same thing!

I was remiss in not commenting on Elliott Smith's "Clementine" a bit ago. It's worth a listen. Great stuff.

Waking you up to close the bar...
Dreadful sorry...Clementine

I came across this a while back and shared it with friends. You might enjoy it if you enjoy Elliott Smith. If you can overcome the cringe at the beginning, you get a beautiful tune.

If the interview is too painful, jump here.

Anyway, it's one of my favorite singer/songwriter songs because of folk songs and snow angels and drinkin'. Very evocative, if you ask me.

O my darling
O my darling
Clementine

Last edited:
My attempt at the 22's aptly describes my distracted state of mind right now. The Kinks Tired of Waiting for You threw me for one loop as I didn't realize they created the original. Today's curveball was before I even hit play. I didn't notice it yesterday, but I crooked my neck when I saw the Todd song put up is Dust in the Wind. Until about a minute or so in I thought the Kansas hit was a cover of it.

What other under-informed idiocy can I concoct as I try to navigate this thing...

Stevie Wonder/You Are The Sunshine... - a couple of the vocal inflections are a little odd but everything else totally won me over
It's not an affectation, though - his speaking voice is the same way. He stresses the "wrong" syllable sometimes, which can be jarring because the "stomp" isn't where you expect it to be. He also pronounces his vowels in unusual ways (again, both singing and speaking).

The Doves just continue to impress me. From the Brit draft to this I'm digging just about every song that I hear. Especially the 22 round.

Also a shout out to the Genesis song. I'm sort of a "newer" Genesis fan, but this is an "earlier" song I like a lot.

A few #22 thoughts on songs I know and didn't know.

Scarborough Fair - This is one of S&Gs great harmonizing songs where I like Art's voice a lot in it. I think the instrumentation is really good, and I especially like the harpsichord.
Fire in the Hole - I love the piano in this song. Can't Buy a Thrill is my favorite Steely Dan album.
Fiddler's Green - One of my favorites on Road Apples. 🙌
Stranger Things Have Happened - This is new to me. I like Grohl stripped down. :oldunsure:
My Favorite Kiss = 💋
Viva La Gloria - Good stuff.
Goin' Home - Reminds me of leaving Florida.
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) - I wonder if Angus still wears his schoolboy outfits.
Tired of Waiting For You - Oldie Goldie
Magnolia - This song reminds me of a Burt Bacharach song done Brazilian style.
Relative Ways - I like the sound in this one.
Novocaine Stain - I like the drums in this one.
Birmingham Blues - woohoo 👏👏
Dreams - I like the chorus.
Dust in the Wind - Here we go... I've always liked the backup singers in this. They are subtle, but really add to the song.
Innuendo - I like how the song totally changes midway through.
Hoax - I like this.
Lowdown - Groovy solo by Kath.
Trimm Trabb - The tale of two halves.
Clementine - Nice song, although the finger squeaks on the strings still makes my hair stand up on my arms.
Mama Can't Buy You Love and That Girl are both blast from the past songs I had forgotten about, and it's good to hear them again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread