What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

WHICH act featured here in this exercise are very respected and loved by Goff-father Peter Murphy (Bauhaus)?

No surprise there, really. Once he said it, I just went "of course."

Not to pooh-pooh the exercise. 'Tis quite an interesting reveal. Anything more I say will spoil it.

i never prefaced it as SHOCKING!!!!1!!!!

rather, more as a nod to the act in question, rather than the same antiquated alms laid at others - and there are some doozies up in here.

we don't all wax the same carrot, amirite?

🏴‍☠️

rather, more as a nod to the act in question, rather than the same antiquated alms laid at others - and there are some doozies up in here.

Oh yeah, I knew what you were going for. Only responded so you knew somebody watched it. That’s all.

Here come the warm jets…and airport music.

Oh yeah, I knew what you were going for. Only responded so you knew somebody watched it. That’s all.

Here come the warm jets…and airport music.

whether it's watched or not makes me no never mind.

Murphy is the man.

alms.

alms.

let's keep flogging.

rinse/repeat.

Weather's been gorgeous here, and last night we decided to have an outdoor listening party, so I cranked up some of my new-to-me favorites from this countdown to see if I could get OH on board. I wish I'd taken notes at the time, as we were a bit tipsy, by which I mean very tipsy, and I don't remember all of his commentary. From my Beatles threads, I know that OH commentary is a fan favorite, so I apologize. Anyway, here are some he loved:

- "Of Lilies and Remains" by Bauhaus - He knows and loves a lot of Bauhaus but didn't know this one. Compared it to The Birthday Party and described this as "my blues."
- The Jorge Ben Jor one that sounds like Muppet torture. Also played a few others, all of which were winners.
- Sigur Ros - he already liked them and I don't remember which one I played, but it was a hit for him.
- "More Fool Me" by Genesis - agreed with me that it sounded almost Beatle-esque.
- "Stars" by Black Francis
- "The Killer Is Me" by Alice in Chains - declared it their best song.
- Big Thief - don't remember what I played, but he compared them favorably to Bjork (whom he loves) and was way into it.
- "Hong Kong" by Gorillaz
- Huge fan of both "What's This World Comin' To" and "Hideaway" by Chicago but on the latter went on a five-minute rant about the handclaps, including some faux conversation between Terry Kath and the drummer. Wish I remembered it in detail. :lol:

I struck out with my selections from ... and The Tragically Hip. Knew I was pushing my luck there. Can't win 'em all.

The Jorge Ben Jor one that sounds like Muppet torture. Also played a few others, all of which were winners

I played the start of that one for my pugs about a dozen times after the posts. They had no reaction, and continued sleeping. :shrug: (ETA: Sleeping is their steady state for ~95% of the day, so maybe they are not the best judges.)

Last edited:
Nice - I will be in Chicago this weekend as well for a b-ball tournament with the kid. I hear you about the food. HERE is the place that my wife and I go to every time we are in town now. Especially fun if you like the metal at all - burgers named after metal bands, metal music playing. The food is great though. I can't remember the name offhand, but I usually get the Slayer burger, and usually eat until I feel like I am going to burst.

Kuma's! OH and I were literally trying to tell someone about Kuma's earlier this week. It's really hard to describe. But yeah, used to love it.
We tried it randomly when we were in town for a Radiohead concert years ago. The music was a bit much since that day it was growly death metal, and they were also randomly playing The Walking Dead on all the screens. Food was fantastic though.

The hotel that someone from the team booked feels out in the middle of nowhere. Basically a hotel and 2 gas stations in an industrial park.

If this is my last post it's been fun gang, and tell my wife I love her! 😆

The hotel that someone from the team booked feels out in the middle of nowhere. Basically a hotel and 2 gas stations in an industrial park.

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Where the hell in Bolingbrook? We were just there for a wedding and stayed 3 minutes from an IKEA and even more importantly 5 minutes from a dispensary.

Back from a Vegas trip with some of my Wisconsin family to commemorate my nephew's college graduation. My position on LV remains unchanged: always fun to go, always fun to leave.

I've kept up with the playlists as much as possible. The unfamiliar bands that have caught my ears are Sigur Ros and Phish. Slade has also been a pleasant surprise. The snobbish ways of Teenage Eephus blinded me to post-Gabriel Genesis. A lot of great stuff every time I hit shuffle.

Friends of the thread new releases section:

Big Thief guitarist Buck Meek has a new single out

Stewart Copland did an album of Police covers accompanied by a symphony orchestra. I didn't love the arrangements but it's still a joy to hear Copland bang the drums.

Blur has another song out in advance of their new album next (almost this) month

Damon Albarn Song #23

Gorillaz - "Souk Eye" from The Now Now (2018)

When choosing Gorillaz song for this exercise, my guiding principle was it was a Damon Albarn list rather than a Gorillaz list. I focused on songs where Albarn's cartoon alter-ego 2-D played a prominent role. This sidelined a bunch of songs with lead vocals performed by collaborators including a lot of bangers.

"Souk Eye" is the closing track from The Now Now. It's got a steady beat but still retains a bittersweet feel like a lot of songs Damon sings. I've listened to it a bunch but have no idea what it's about. This guy on Reddit wrote about 15000 words about it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B57lnGcMpY
https://open.spotify.com/track/4fjzDf54eBNOlW45mNe14U

Live in Finland 2022

Last edited:
Damon Albarn Song #22

Blur - "Trimm Trabb" from 13 (1999)

The sound of Blur's sixth album 13 was a long way from Britpop. They'd split from producer Stephen Street who'd been involved since the start and chose to partner with electronica producer William Orbit who was coming off doing Madonna's Ray of Light album.

The resulting album included two big hits but also the weirdest material the band ever put out. I went with "Trimm Trabb" which is a bit like Blur doing Radiohead I guess but it's still cool when Graham's big guitars kick in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBje1VIVc4

Damon Albarn Song #21

Blur - "Beetlebum" from Blur (1997)

"Beetlebum" was the opening track and first single from their self-titled fifth album. This makes it the point of origin for Blur 2.0 where they ran screaming from their Britpop image. They acknowledged their redesigned rawer sound was influenced by 90s American Indie bands.

"Beetlebum" is built on one of the simplest four beat riffs imaginable but the chorus just soars. I guess the song is about drugs but a bunch of them are.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4OHVCeQYPncEwZOtNAJZZx

Live on Top of the Pops 1997

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Where the hell in Bolingbrook? We were just there for a wedding and stayed 3 minutes from an IKEA and even more importantly 5 minutes from a dispensary.
Lol. We must be on the other side of town or something. I think we are only 2.4miles from the place where the tournament is at, staying at a Ramada inn.

I'm sorry you had to pay Illinois dispensary prices for weed. ;)

Damon Albarn Song #22

Blur - "Trimm Trabb" from 13 (1999)

The sound of Blur's sixth album 13 was a long way from Britpop. They'd split from producer Stephen Street who'd been involved since the start and chose to partner with electronica producer William Orbit who was coming off doing Madonna's Ray of Light album.

The resulting album included two big hits but also the weirdest material the band ever put out. I went with "Trimm Trabb" which is a bit like Blur doing Radiohead I guess but it's still cool when Graham's big guitars kick in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBje1VIVc4

i missed out on this artist.

back when the Britpop "wars" were actually a thing, i naturally gravitated to Oasis - what with their homage to the fabs, their appreciation of punk, and their general knucklehead behavoir - especially Liam. i really love Liam. i'm a sucker for louts, what can i tell ya?

so it were Pulp & Cocker vs Blur & Albarn on the undercard, so to speak ... i were seeing a British lass at the time who were here at NYU ... and she were THE biggest Cocker fan in the world - loved her some Jarvis - so i were downstream for all the hatred she spewed on about "All-Barn" - this rivalry were a big thing back over there, this i were blissfully unaware of up over ... here, until she popped in from Newcastle (nay, not a Mancunian, nor a Scouse, unfortunately)

i absorbed a ton of collateral ALL-BARN SUCKS!!1! shrapnel from the bird ... and, yes, (for those curious) she did make it all worthwhile, lest i wouldn't be typing this, amirite?

i still think "Common People" are the single greatest piece of work to emerge from any of 'em, it's one that will forever be remembered long after the rest of that era is chucked on the junk heap.

Blur is very, very good - in seeing the artists lined up for this exercise a few months ago, Albarn were one of the most anticipated for me - i decided not to delve into anything prior to, that i would rather hear it all unfold via Eeph, who has treated us all to great work on this bored.

the Gorillaz thing were a big turnoff for me, once i saw the album artwork i were OUT - just not my cuppa, and i had an inkling of what they may have sounded like based off the pic - so i just pooh-poohed them sight unseen (unheard?) due to that, along with the memories of the incessant yammering from my Britpop baby girl.

now i can catch up, and be introduced ... taken by the hand, so to speak ... and i am very pleasantly surprised, and thankful to be "discovering" at this stage - eagerly awaiting the completion of this Damon playlist, as i will wait 'til then to start seeking them out on my own ... the Eeph reveals have been golden, and i don't wanna spoil that vibe.

I'VE BEEN INFECTED!!!!!!!!!!

At least my RR has. Looked what turned up this week:
Mindfields - Rene LaVice Remix by The Prodigy, Rene LaVice
St. Charles Square by Blur (already added The Narcissist)
Gloo by Sigur Ros (not even trying to type those characters :D )
Railroad Daisies by Clutch
Badlands (live) by Bruce Springsteen
The Glass by Foo Fighters

20% of my weekly RR. Guess that's what happens when you've got these artists on an almost constant rotation over several weeks.
I can't be the only one this is happening to, right? RIGHT?

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Lol. We must be on the other side of town or something. I think we are only 2.4miles from the place where the tournament is at, staying at a Ramada inn.

More expensive than Michigan?

I'VE BEEN INFECTED!!!!!!!!!!

At least my RR has. Looked what turned up this week:
Mindfields - Rene LaVice Remix by The Prodigy, Rene LaVice
St. Charles Square by Blur (already added The Narcissist)
Gloo by Sigur Ros (not even trying to type those characters :D )
Railroad Daisies by Clutch
Badlands (live) by Bruce Springsteen
The Glass by Foo Fighters

20% of my weekly RR. Guess that's what happens when you've got these artists on an almost constant rotation over several weeks.
I can't be the only one this is happening to, right? RIGHT?
Only Spoon from this thread appears on mine. RR is still sticking with most of my stalwarts for now.

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Oh God, yes - x10.

For starters, you can barely buy any- out of state limit for edibles is 250mg. A 500mg cart will run $50-60/each. And they tax the crap out of it. My last run to Illinois i got 1 cart and 250mg of edibles and I'm pretty sure it was $200.

2 months ago I finally got to run up the the U.P., spent about $400, maxed out on edibles, and got 6-7 carts. As far as I can tell, MI is easily the best state in the Midwest, probably until you get to Colorado. Otherwise it's medical only or super expensive like Illinois.

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Oh God, yes - x10.

For starters, you can barely buy any- out of state limit for edibles is 250mg. A 500mg cart will run $50-60/each. And they tax the crap out of it. My last run to Illinois i got 1 cart and 250mg of edibles and I'm pretty sure it was $200.

2 months ago I finally got to run up the the U.P., spent about $400, maxed out on edibles, and got 6-7 carts. As far as I can tell, MI is easily the best state in the Midwest, probably until you get to Colorado. Otherwise it's medical only or super expensive like Illinois.
Most definitely. We stopped in Illinois on the way back from Ohio because the wife wanted to try some. Very limited in what we were able to get and Cost a bunch $$$. The company the wife works for is based out of MI and we were there because she went for a managers meeting. We went to a store in Gaylord MI called Cloud 9. It was almost like a Wal Mart for Cannibis. The staff was very nice and helpful and she got about 5X the amount for the same amount of money. She was back in Grand Rapids in May so she stocked up again.

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Oh God, yes - x10.

Most definitely. We stopped in Illinois on the way back from Ohio because the wife wanted to try some. Very limited in what we were able to get and Cost a bunch $$$. The company the wife works for is based out of MI and we were there because she went for a managers meeting. We went to a store in Gaylord MI called Cloud 9. It was almost like a Wal Mart for Cannibis. The staff was very nice and helpful and she got about 5X the amount for the same amount of money. She was back in Grand Rapids in May so she stocked up again.
Just made a Michigan pit stop myself this past week! Fantastic value.

I'm In Love With My Car - This song reminds me of a ride in a tow truck. We went to a Furthur Fest in 1998 in Charlotte. This was the Fest where the remaining members of the Grateful Dead billed themselves as The Other Ones. It was very hot that day. After the show, the car wouldn't start. I had AAA that was good for up to a 100 mile tow, and we were about 80 miles from home. The tow truck came, and we rode back in the truck. The driver had a cassette player in his truck, and put in A Night At The Opera. My boyfriend and him had a sing-a-long, and when it came to this song (which was both their favorites on the album) they sang it at the top of their lungs, and then kept rewinding it to play it again. My favorite song was the next one, but it took forever to get to it, because they kept rewinding IILWMC. The driver was drinking a bottle of orange juice, and he asked us if we wanted some. I declined, but of course my bf says yes. I was dehydrated, but not thirsty enough to drink warm juice and backwash from a stranger. :x Anyway, I'm In Love With My Car (which I do like) reminds me of "Tow ll."

"Tow 1" is when I was in college, and a roommate and I were going to the the Outer Banks for her brother's bday party. She was from Kitty Hawk. We were about to go over Alligator River Bridge, which was about 50 minutes from our destination, and there was a popping sound and smoke, and the car died. Turned out she hadn't changed her oil in forever and that wasn't a good thing. A tow truck picked us up, and towed us with us being in the towed car. That is against the law, but we didn't know it at the time. Her dad about had a heart attack when he met us at a car garage, and we jumped out of the towed car. He questioned the tow driver, and he said there wasn't any room for us in his truck. That's cause he had his gf and dog in the truck with him. As illegal as it was, my friend and I had fun riding in her towed car.

I'm In Love With My Car - This song reminds me of a ride in a tow truck. We went to a Furthur Fest in 1998 in Charlotte. This was the Fest where the remaining members of the Grateful Dead billed themselves as The Other Ones. It was very hot that day. After the show, the car wouldn't start. I had AAA that was good for up to a 100 mile tow, and we were about 80 miles from home. The tow truck came, and we rode back in the truck. The driver had a cassette player in his truck, and put in A Night At The Opera. My boyfriend and him had a sing-a-long, and when it came to this song (which was both their favorites on the album) they sang it at the top of their lungs, and then kept rewinding it to play it again. My favorite song was the next one, but it took forever to get to it, because they kept rewinding IILWMC. The driver was drinking a bottle of orange juice, and he asked us if we wanted some. I declined, but of course my bf says yes. I was dehydrated, but not thirsty enough to drink warm juice and backwash from a stranger. :x Anyway, I'm In Love With My Car (which I do like) reminds me of "Tow ll."

"Tow 1" is when I was in college, and a roommate and I were going to the the Outer Banks for her brother's bday party. She was from Kitty Hawk. We were about to go over Alligator River Bridge, which was about 50 minutes from our destination, and there was a popping sound and smoke, and the car died. Turned out she hadn't changed her oil in forever and that wasn't a good thing. A tow truck picked us up, and towed us with us being in the towed car. That is against the law, but we didn't know it at the time. Her dad about had a heart attack when he met us at a car garage, and we jumped out of the towed car. He questioned the tow driver, and he said there wasn't any room for us in his truck. That's cause he had his gf and dog in the truck with him. As illegal as it was, my friend and I had fun riding in her towed car.

GET A GRIP ON MY BOY-RACER ROLLBAR/SUCH A THRILL WHEN YER RADIALS SQUEAL ...

was upon hearing this that it occurred to me that Roger Taylor would've been an amazing lead vox/frontman - my Queen top 20 are littered with his offerings, and i hope to see a few more pop up as we progress.

and, yes, the segue into the next song on "ANatO" is perfection, as great a back to back helping as they ever gave.

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Oh God, yes - x10.

Just made a Michigan pit stop myself this past week! Fantastic value.
My wife needs to go to MI twice in the next couple months, so I will be sending a shopping list.

Long story short, @Ilov80s and @Raging weasel better appreciate what y'all got.

I am on deck for a visit to Chicago, I will be there for 11 days starting on July 10. I will be sans car - I already bought my Ventra card - and staying in the Medical/University area near the VA hospital where I'll be working. I am up for all fun and/or healthy activity ideas. Any good hikes? :unsure:

I have been to the metal burger place! Another great food spot on my radar is Chicago Diner which is vegan but truly impressive in the realm of phony meat plates.

I am meeting a couple other coworkers out there, whom I've never met before, same deal as Cleveland was, so how well we hit it off could impact the kinds of social activities I decide to get into.

Current plans are to go to the Cubs Hawaiian shirt night, and maybe go see Say Sue Me my last night there. Sadly my most favoritest band Local H is not doing anything.

I am on deck for a visit to Chicago, I will be there for 11 days starting on July 10. I will be sans car - I already bought my Ventra card - and staying in the Medical/University area near the VA hospital where I'll be working. I am up for all fun and/or healthy activity ideas. Any good hikes? :unsure:

No hiking. But you could rent a bike and ride, or just walk, up and down the lakefront. Well, not “down” so much. Start at Oak St beach and go north from there. Maybe join a beach volleyball game. I have friends who play near North Ave beach every weekend, but they are very serious-y about it, so I don’t recommend.

Also loved the Blur song. Very Beatlesque, but not in Oasis realm.

I missed these guys. Mostly listened to Seattle grunge bands, some hip hop and was big into the start of the Alt-Country movement. I did listen to Oasis a lot as well so maybe subconsciously I was prescribing to OTB’s dividing line in the sand.

to piggyback on this, and my earlier post ...

they (Blur) were kinda like the Stones to Oasis as the Beatles (i'm talking in terms of top dog/second banana - not in terms of musical style, though Oasis fits their end of the bill).

so, yeah ... to me, having just one of 'em in my regular rotation were enough - was far removed from that scene, and were not warm to it outside of the top billed Gallaghers.

... and Pulp?

well, they'd be the Kinks, who, much like later devotees the Jam, were just "too British" in their sensibilities to score consistently over here - Jarvis Cocker were the poster boy for pretentious/foppish Brit lad - talented as a mofo, but reeked of fish n' chips wrapped in the Daily Mail ... and the teef - kinda.

a (London) Bridge too far.

Where the hell are you?
Bolingbrook?

Oh jesus, that's awful. Is the tourney you're visiting for way out there?
Just 2miles away. We actually got lucky- all 4 games are in Romeoville at an athletic center. There are 3 locations for the tournament, and my son said the team they play next has to come from a tournament location about 40min away.

Assuming Superstition makes the Stevie Wonder Top 31 (after making the Vaugh list this round), how many times do we think the same song will appear from two different artists in this thread?

I have that potential with Bad Blood making my list and potentially the Taylor Swift list - and an outside shot it happens a second time with Adams (I have another song covered by Adams coming up at some point).
Zevon song also has the overlap featuring another artist from this thread. Not sure if it will make the Bruce list for a second appearance though.

I remember seeing this VH1 documentary on Zevon's cancer and the recording of his last record. Very touching. Bruce and the recording of "Disorder" are featured

Users who are viewing this thread