What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

On a related note to the first album talk. How many of us did the whole 12 cassettes for a penny thing? I was a slow learner, I did it multiple times. :bag: I grew up in the middle of nowhere in small town Iowa and the trip to the mall was a special yearly occasion so it was one of the few ways I had to get the music until I turned 16.

On a related note to the first album talk. How many of us did the whole 12 cassettes for a penny thing? I was a slow learner, I did it multiple times. :bag: I grew up in the middle of nowhere in small town Iowa and the trip to the mall was a special yearly occasion so it was one of the few ways I had to get the music until I turned 16.
I think we all did it, and I still probably owe them a good amount of cash. As does my dog, guinea pig, ferret and any other pets whose names I used to sign up for additional cassettes/albums/CDs.

I think we all did it, and I still probably owe them a good amount of cash. As does my dog, guinea pig, ferret and any other pets whose names I used to sign up for additional cassettes/albums/CDs.
Lol. I had dumb names like Pete Slayer and Joe Primus signed up in HS and college.

Bauhaus #17 - "Ziggy Stardust"

better bedfellas there never were - the lads made no secret of their influences, and none were bigger than Bowie - his fingerprints are smeared all over the catalog ... but rather than, say, Oasis with the Beatles (simply aping at damn near every turn), the 'haus took the schematic and wove it into their dark interpretations of the post-punk/goff universe - Bowie made a ton of forays into any number of genres hisself ... and i always opine that the "Low" album trailblazed all of the paths that gaggle of burgeoning artists traipsed down - "Warszawa" being the centerpiece - it's ground zero, imo.

in this cover of "Ziggy", we do get the Oasis-ish homage ... the group aren't breakng any ground here, nor do they attempt to re-imagine it (like Rubin/Cash with "Hurt") or deconstruct it (like similar post punk/goff darling Siouxsie's take on "Helter Skelter") - oh, no ... none of that - this are a straight up jam out, note for note.

and i prefer it to the original, yes ... because even though it stays true to that one, it punches it the eff up quite a few notches - kinda like if you listen to the remixed "Raw Power" album by the Stooges - Bowie's original production on that were kinda flat ... considering the sonic booms being lobbed, it greatly benefitted from being remixed and poked with a keg o' dynamite ... i found "Aladdin Sane" and "Diamond Dogs" to be much crunchier than "Ziggy" ... hell, even "Pin-Ups"

one of Danny's finest moments here - shredding and vamping his boa-ed arse off ... channeling Ronson thru a Spinal Tap set amp ... and Peter just kills the vocals - he prolly sung this a million times before they decided to lay it on wax - he actually sounds as if he's having fun, things were starting to get dark around the group, and Murph, at this time - but you can sense the pleasure this welcome respite afforded them.

Ziggy - live on OGWT

not the most competent chap on the sound bored that night, eh? punctuated by Danny's guitar amp drifting in and out for a spell, then finally fritzing - (taking the drums with it?) leading to some Danny hijinks, and David's bass taking the honors.

"Official" Vid

seems about perfect - recorded in the catacombs under ol' Camden Town market ... Peter's shimmy, Danny's fishnet, Kevin popping off with his most poweful pounding, and David his usual aloof self.

this project were one of the many indulgences this lot partook in ... their muse were realized - eternally.

#17 Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round To Be A Millionaire) (Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap)

I love the rhythm of this song and how it comes across as a story. No chorus until 2:20. Of course then it gets a bit repetitive until the 4:00 mark when Angus gets going with some nice jamming. One unique thing about this song is there is no solo. That’s got to be extremely rare for the band.

Fun fact: This has the longest running time of any studio recording at 7 minutes 31 seconds
Fun fact 2: One of the very few songs to use a swear word. Near the end Bon sings:

“Hey, hello Howard, how you doin’ friend, my next door neighbour?
Oh yea... Get your ****in jumbo jet off my airport”

Apparently Bon is referring to the billionaire Howard Hughes, with a tongue-in-cheek reference to the imaginary lifestlye of living as a millionaire.

All that said this is one I probably should not have had in my top 31. I love the first half but find the second half a bit boring now that I listen to it a bit more.

Album breakdown
0 74 Jailbreak
2 High Voltage
2 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
3 Let There Be Rock
3 PowerAge
2 Highway To Hell
1 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
1 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
0 Who Made Who
0 Blow Up Your Video
0 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
1 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

Last edited:
We Are the World is hot garbage except for certain vocal performances like Stevie's. There's a reason why you still hear Do They Know It's Christmas on the radio during the holidays but not this -- one is not a terrible song, and the other is.
I knew this selection would make people puke. I apologize to all of your playlists.
I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed

(that we're not getting 31 good Stevie songs)

;)
I think Stevie acquitted himself well and helps make the record. It's a time capsule and it's a big one. I thought it would be interesting to get some dialogue about it. The rest of my choices will be pure Stevie.

My Top 5 vocal performances on "WATW":

1. Wonder
2. Ray Charles
3. Cyndi Lauper
4. James Ingram
5. Springsteen

Other really good singers like Loggins, Steve Perry, Daryl Hall, Tina, Willie, and future nutball Dionne Warwick just didn't get enough to do.

5. Springsteen
Even from a non-Springsteen fan, I think he does pack a mighty wallop there. Maybe it's related to the fact that he looks like he's taking a dump.
He also sounds like it, but that's him in the mid-80s.
Per Wiki:

I don't think I spotted some of those folks in the video (Geldof, Waylon, Oates in particular), so maybe some of them didn't show up to the filming and are just on the recording.

5. Springsteen
Even from a non-Springsteen fan, I think he does pack a mighty wallop there. Maybe it's related to the fact that he looks like he's taking a dump.
He also sounds like it, but that's him in the mid-80s.
Per Wiki:

I don't think I spotted some of those folks in the video (Geldof, Waylon, Oates in particular), so maybe some of them didn't show up to the filming and are just on the recording.
You can see Oates during one of the choruses. Also, I'm kind of surprised Jeffrey Osborne didn't get a least a line - he was a pretty big star at that point and may have had the most "pure" voice of them all.

Waylon isn't in the video. He is on some of the recording, but he walked out during one of the recording sessions over a line Stevie wanted to change to Swahili, and there are differing accounts on whether he ever came back. He did not participate in any photo shoots or the video. Apparently, it was in the wee hours of the morning, everyone was tired, and Michael Jackson had done some riffing at the end of a chorus. Bob Geldof said it sounded like some African language, and felt people might think it would be considered mocking. Stevie suggested changing it to Swahili, and sing “willi moing-gu.” Ray Charles was quoted as saying, "Willi what! Willi moing-gu, my ***! It's three o'clock in the got damn mornin'. I can't even sing in English no more." Waylon was quoted as saying, "No good old boy sings in Swahili," and he walked out. Some other participants protested too. After back and forth fussing, "One world, our children" was decided on instead of Swahili.

Last edited:
Spent yesterday prepping for all the mid-year performance reviews I have to do this week - seriously my 2nd least favorite week of the year, only ahead of final performance reviews in January. And most of my folks are great, so it's not even a big deal, but I still loathe doing it. Anyway, lots to catch up on and hopefully finishing the playlist tonight. The first half was one of my favorites yet, but I'll get to that later. In the meantime:

First record: AC/DC, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

First cassette: Go-Go's, Beauty and the Beat

First 45(s): REO Speedwagon, Don't Let Him Go and Yarbrough and the Peoples, Don't Stop the Music. My mom had asked my older brother (an AOR/Southern Rock guy) and my older cousin (a funk fan) to take me to the mall for my 8th birthday and gave me $5 to spend at Camelot Music. Instead of letting me buy what I wanted (Celebration by Kool & the Gang), they pushed me to "be cooler" and get stuff that 18-year olds were listening to. IIRC, my mom was kind of annoyed when she got the low down.

First CD(s): U2, Rattle and Hum, The Smiths, Rank, Pixies, Surfer Rosa, and Love and Rockets, Earth-Sun-Moon

We are the World: this will always hold a selfishly huge place in my heart because it was playing when I got my first over-the-shirt feel of boob. Me and Lesley E were making out in the back corner of the roller rink during the final couples skate of the night and We are the World was blasting. Once old Ray C belted "C'mon now, lemme hear ya" I knew my time was running out before the lights came on so I just went for it. I guess Lesley was totally cool with it b/c when we went to the movies the following weekend, she initiated me making the move again.

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 15: The Ambassador

You said he's a mystic.
Well I know he's not Catholic.
He's got a cross all upside down carved in his arm.

Album: Teeth Dreams (Song 1 of 1)

Year: 2014

# of Times Seen Live: 2 of 25 shows (only counting shows since album was released)

The Story: Teeth Dreams is almost universally considered THS’s worst album. The absence of keyboardist Franz Nicolay was felt even more than on Heaven is Whenever and the rest of the band seemed really uncertain in their direction - like they were trying to recapture the past instead of living in their present. Reviews at the time didn’t necessarily shred it, just damned it with faint praise. Craig himself calls it his least favorite record and describes Teeth Dreams as having “too much rock and not enough roll.” I get the sentiment, because the rockers on the record aren’t particularly memorable and the slow burns are the highlights.

The Ambassador isn’t even my favorite song on Teeth Dreams, though. I think the album closer (Oaks) is actually a top 20 THS track, but I had to leave it off my list because it occupies almost the exact same space as another song I felt compelled to include. Still, The Ambassador is shimmery and gorgeous in itself, and revisits the past without naming names via callbacks to a couple of early THS songs that will appear later (Bay City Michigan, guys you recognize, skin and blood) and a classic Lifter Puller track (3.2 percent bars, diamonds=rocks).

Some thoughts on round 17:

- Trail of Dead - really liked this one and I’m impressed with the range of this group’s songs so far

- loved the astral vibe of Chicago, great guitar work too

- Ryan Adams - I keep waiting for him to break into Purple Rain

- Phish - first song of theirs that reminded me of the Greatful Dead

- Foo Fighters - this is a top 5 song of theirs for me

- another great Doves song

- I really liked this Dino Jr song

- Some awesome known favorites from Kinks, Rush, Queen, Bauhaus, and Alice In Chains

So since I was talking about Asbury Park earlier, a PBS Documentary segment just aired about the city: https://pbs.org/video/look-up-asbury-park-jmuks1?source=social

My dog, Loki, is in it at about the 9:33 mark. He’s the Shiba Inu sitting on the picnic table. I’m in it about 15 seconds later (wearing a Grateful Deal Steal Your Face sweatshirt).

The whole thing is only 26 minutes and worth watching if you’re interested.

Last edited:
A few of the many highlights from the 17s:

Modest Mouse/Truckers Atlas - As with The Hold Steady, I like MM best when Isaac sounds unhinged.
TOD/Summer of '91 - Dare I say one of my 5 favorite new tracks from all the playlists so far? Or maybe I'm losing count?
Rush/Red Sector A - Always loved this, but knowing now that Geddy's parents were Holocaust survivors just makes Red Sector A all the more powerful.
Daft Punk/Alive - Like I wrote earlier, maybe it's just the environment I'm in right now, but it's the lower BPM tracks that are standing out for me.
Frank Black/I'm Not Dead... - I swear this sounds like a Camper Van Beethoven song with Frank singing (I promise that's a good thing).
Warren Zevon/Carmelita - my favorite WZ song. Makes it's way onto lots of playlists.
AiC/Angry Chair - Dirt was a mainstay on the restaurant CD player in the summer of 1993. Angry Chair was the consensus break-s*** favorite.
Bauhaus/Ziggy Stardust - no surprise that I'm with otb in preferring this to the original.

Don't have much to say as I've actually been feverishly busy and haven't had time to check into the lists, but Panic Song and Truckers Atlas are two monstrous guitar tracks. If you like guitar, chances are you'll dig these tracks. One sounds like the Who and the other sounds like a Modest Mouse outro for ten of them. Both are pretty bleak and nihilistic, dealing with respective problems by traveling in one and not caring in the other.

A bartender once put "Truckers Atlas" on in a dive bar I frequented occasionally and I went (totally batshit in my head, cool on the outside) "You gonna play the whole thing?" He nodded at me and smiled. We high-fived it.

I'm going up to Alaska I'm going to get all scot ****ing free

My favorite Modest Mouse song at one point. Probably would have been my number one. That drum beat with the hi-hat hit that runs throughout the song. ****ing-a yeah!

Same with Panic Song, only trumped by a combination/segue by Green Day that I won't ruin should it get picked. This is Green Day sounding like they want to. Sounding like The Who with windmill guitar strokes and everything.

"Well the world is a sick machine, breeding a mess of ****. Such a desolate conclusion, fill the void with I don't care."

Don't have much to say as I've actually been feverishly busy and haven't had time to check into the lists, but Panic Song and Truckers Atlas are two monstrous guitar tracks. If you like guitar, chances are you'll dig these tracks. One sounds like the Who and the other sounds like a Modest Mouse outro for ten of them. Both are pretty bleak and nihilistic, dealing with respective problems by traveling in one and not caring in the other.

A bartender once put "Truckers Atlas" on in a dive bar I frequented occasionally and I went (totally batshit in my head, cool on the outside) "You gonna play the whole thing?" He nodded at me and smiled. We high-fived it.

I'm going up to Alaska I'm going to get all scot ****ing free

My favorite Modest Mouse song at one point. Probably would have been my number one. That drum beat with the hi-hat hit that runs throughout the song. ****ing-a yeah!

Same with Panic Song, only trumped by a combination/segue by Green Day that I won't ruin should it get picked. This is Green Day sounding like they want to. Sounding like The Who with windmill guitar strokes and everything.

"Well the world is a sick machine, breeding a mess of ****. Such a desolate conclusion, fill the void with I don't care."
Completely agree re: Truckers Atlas. If I'd ranked these 31 songs it would be top 5. And this was Jeremiah Green at his best. RIP.

#17'S PLAYLIST
Warren ZevonworrierkingCarmelita
Covered many times by multiple artists, including Linda Ronstadt, who's early advocacy helped Warren get noticed. She recorded four Zevon tunes in the 70s.

Best Lyric:
Well, I'm sittin' here playing solitaire
With my pearl-handled deck
The county won't give me no more methadone
And they cut off your welfare check
I love most of the covers I've come across - Linda takes the cake of course but even the GG Allin one (actually the first version I ever heard) is surprisingly listenable. But given that I'm a Hold Steady stan, figured I would relate a story about an "almost" cover. At a show at the 9:30 Club back in 2011, the opening notes of the second-to-last song of the encore made everyone think they were covering Carmelita. Instead it was an unreleased track that sounded exactly like it, which I guess explains why it was unreleased. This was the only time they ever played it live and it finally made it to print 10 years later as a bonus track on the anniversary edition of Heaven is Whenever. Maybe they weren't worried any more about getting sued by Warren's estate.

THS - Beer on the Bedstand

The 17's
Knew 10, 11 if I count the Ziggy cover( which was great!)
Couple comments on known songs.
Can't Stand Losing You is sometimes my fav by them
Angry Chair - F Yeah !
Aint No Fun...- I don't turn or skip if it comes on but probably not in my top 50 by them
Cordelia - my fav by them and used it in the world wide draft
On to the new to me
Truckers Atlas- awesome when I'm stoned, 5 minutes too long if I'm not
Shut Up- liked it but wish it was longer lol
Hotel Chelsea Nights- really liked the bluesy tone of this one
Back on the Train- after liking the last 3-4 Phish tracks this one went off the rails. Sounded too country for me
To the End- my fav of any of the non English tracks so far by anybody. Really like when the accordion (or whatever it is) kicks in from 3 minutes on.

I listened to the #18 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Kinks - Destroyer - my favorite Kinks song!
  • Rush - Working Man
  • Alice In Chains - Them Bones
  • Queen - You're My Best Friend
With regard to this Queen song, I posted this in the British Isles MAD thread:

I threw a surprise party for my wife's 40th birthday and made a video of pictures from her life and video messages from others who couldn't be there to play at the party. It was long enough that I used parts of three songs as soundtrack for the pictures. During pictures of her childhood, I used Forever Young (Alphaville), one of her favorite songs from her high school years. Once the pictures started from our time together, I used You're My Best Friend followed by True Companion (Marc Cohn), our wedding song.

I just watched it again for the first time in years. Great memory. :wub:

On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Decemberists - The Mariner's Revenge Song
  • Taylor Swift, The National - coney island
  • Ryan Adams - This Is It
Another excellent playlist!

Thoughts on some new-to-me songs from the first half of the #17 playlist:

Truckers Atlas is another "controlled chaos" Modest Mouse song that totally won me over. Obviously I have no complaints about the length.
Sons & Daughters was anthemically tuneful.
OK, now I remember Summer of '91. You know how some songs sound better in the context of their album? This is the opposite of that. It doesn't fit on Worlds Apart at all (not that WA is a particularly cohesive album to begin with.) There, it falls through the cracks between the sweeping epics, the loud rockers and the bizarre genre experiments. On its own, its charms are much more evident.
Panic Song really does sound like it was painful to record. It's quite impressive in its brutalism.
ivy is spectacular. Swift turns in an amazing vocal and the arrangement is perfectly suited to it.
Son of Sam is extremely well-constructed.
Shut Up is a perfect punk statement -- even with the keyboards in there.
Hotel Chelsea Nights sounds like Purple Rain. Kind of blatantly. Am I the only one who hears this?
More shoutiness from Clutch. Not my thing. But hey, the first three Ween albums are pretty terrible -- most of their songs come alive in concert, but the studio versions are almost unlistenable. So I can definitely appreciate a band that evolves.

Just a heads up.... Working all day Thursday, then immediately to the airport to catch a flight to Vegas. And then immediately late reg the WSOP Om8/Stud 8 event that night.

So the Thursday night list will come out Friday AM.

Looking forward to listening the the lists while I play. Only list I've missed so far is #25.

Want to thank everyone for making this thread great. And special thanks to @KarmaPolice for having this idea and doing the Spotify lists.

Looking forward to Round II. It will be first come , first served on claiming an artists. I'll start taking them 24 hours AFTER I post #1. Any claims before I ask for them are void. Please don't spotlight whom you might take the rest of the way. Wanna keep the focus on this count down til then. The only rule is you can't take anyone used in Round 1.

Users who are viewing this thread