What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

I'd be interested. I actually love his "gospel" album, despite not being very religious. I've heard songs here and there but can't say I really know his stuff.

Cool. I figure that some people here would have been cool with it musically, but then there was the more-than-thorny "Jews run Hollywood" thing he was going on, and I figured that was just more of a reason not to pick him. I barely even needed to think about it. No need to pick somebody offending almost everybody's sensibilities with anti-Semitic tropes.

But that's cool you were interested in the music aspect of it. He's got a ton of great songs if you enjoy hip-hop/rap. Twenty-one would have been a breeze, thirty-one fairly easy. I've started threads about him before and they just wound up in negativity. He's a polarizing figure and rap/hip-hop polarizes a lot of people on this board whether they admit it or not. (And they usually do admit it and are willing to tell you their opinion about it.)

Oddly enough a Kanye discussion broke out on a work call I led this morning. The whole "separating the art from the human" stuff we've addressed plenty on here in music and movie and other contexts. Anyway, I'm interested in listening to anyone someone wants to select. Except Ted Nugent, not because of the political aspect nor because he's a child rapist but because his music sucks.

#16 Catch me now I’m falling (1979 - Low Budget)

In the aftermath of Vietnam and in the throes of Stagflation, America was a bit of an economic mess in the 70’s with budget deficits, oil embargos, the Great Inflation, unemployment, etc. In this song, The Kinks give a little criticism to the US allies for lack of help in a time of need. The song itself features some cool saxophone work and a guitar riff lifted from the Rolling Stones’ Jumpin' Jack Flash.

I remember when you were down
And you needed a helping hand
I came to feed you
But now that I need you
You won't give me a second glance
Now I'm calling all citizens from all over the world
This is captain America calling
I bailed you out when you were down on your knees
So will you catch me now I'm falling

Help me now I'm calling you
Catch me now I'm falling
I'm in your hands, it's up to you
Catch me now I'm falling

You would always come running to me
I never denied you and I would guide you
Through all of your difficulties

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

When you were broke you would come to me
And I always pull you round
Now I call your office on the telephone
And your secretary tells me that she's sorry
But you've gone out to town

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

I was the one who always bailed you out
Of your depressions and your difficulties
I never thought that you would let me down
But the next time you're in trouble
Better not come to me

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

Somehow Doug B's selection is a Heart playlist on Spotify. It doesn't specify which song. At least, it doesn't on my end.
I forgot to notify @Zegras11 about that. It was Barracuda Radio in the link, I assumed the song he was taking was Barracuda since that was listed in the post, so just added that in the playlist on our end.

Last edited:
Somehow Doug B's selection is a Heart playlist on Spotify. It doesn't specify which song. At least, it doesn't on my end.
That actually isn't a Heart playlist. It is a general one with many groups titled Barracuda radio, so I think the song is supposed to be Barracuda. There is only one Heart song on the list though, Dreamboat Annie

ETA...I was wrong. Barracuda is also on the list of that playlist

Oddly enough a Kanye discussion broke out on a work call I led this morning. The whole "separating the art from the human" stuff we've addressed plenty on here in music and movie and other contexts.

Yep. I just wrote a long post and deleted out of decorum. No need to reiterate it, even though it would be fitting because I decide on an ad hoc basis. And my decisions are inconsistent and imperfect, like the subjects themselves.

#16 Catch me now I’m falling (1979 - Low Budget)

In the aftermath of Vietnam and in the throes of Stagflation, America was a bit of an economic mess in the 70’s with budget deficits, oil embargos, the Great Inflation, unemployment, etc. In this song, The Kinks give a little criticism to the US allies for lack of help in a time of need. The song itself features some cool saxophone work and a guitar riff lifted from the Rolling Stones’ Jumpin' Jack Flash.

And you needed a helping hand
I came to feed you
But now that I need you
You won't give me a second glance

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

You would always come running to me
I never denied you and I would guide you
Through all of your difficulties

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

When you were broke you would come to me
And I always pull you round
Now I call your office on the telephone
And your secretary tells me that she's sorry
But you've gone out to town

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling

I was the one who always bailed you out
Of your depressions and your difficulties
I never thought that you would let me down
But the next time you're in trouble
Better not come to me

Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
Catch me now I'm falling
I really like the Dave Davies background vocals here.

16 - Sigur Ros - Ný batterí (New Batteries)

Another that starts extremely slow and builds to something epic. This is another off their second album Ágætis byrjun.

This might be the first song that I "clicked" with when it comes to the band. Those drums are a pretty good hook.

The song opens with some brass pieces, transitioning into the song's main bass line at about 1:40. It then opens up to some interesting sounding drums. The drumbeat came about because of a damaged cymbal that they had. It was cracked and looked like a car had run over it, but they loved how it sounded on the song. So do I.

Translated lyrics below. I never knew how dark this song was until I read these. In an album full of lullabies, elves, and songs about candy bars, this really stands out.

Ný batterí

Barbwire stapled in my bleeding mouth
Locked in a cage
Naked animals beat me
A liberator knocks
An untamed inserts new batteries
And charges once again (x4)
We set off
Into the unknown
Until we destroy everything and are dominant
Once again (x3)
Once again in the back where we ride
The barbwire returns
In my mouth, ripping up an old healed wound
My soul has grown rusty
The electricity is gone
I want to cut
And slice myself to death,
But daren't risk it.
Instead i turn myself off,
Alone again.

Needle in the Hay- Elliott Smith
From self titled album

Now on the bus
Nearly touching this dirty retreat
Falling out 6th and Powell a dead sweat in my teeth
Gonna walk walk walk
Four more blocks plus one in my break
Down downstairs to the man
He's gonna make it all ok
I can't beat myself
I can't beat myself
And I don't want to talk
I'm taking the cure so I can be quiet
Whenever I want
So leave me alone
You ought to be proud that I'm getting good marks
Needle in the hay

One of Elliott's most important and recognizable tracks, ( used in the suicide attempt scene in The Royal Tenenbaums )Needle is just such a powerful and well-crafted song. It opens Self Titled and I think it does an absolutely wonderful job of setting the tone for that album... bleak but beautiful. For a lot of people, this song is the Elliott Smith sound... and I don't blame them. It captures a lot of his best qualities at their peak.

To me, it's probably elliott at his absolute darkest, his voice sounds almost menacing. you can feel the tension. It builds as his guitar sounds more and more strings, but it never peaks. The chorus is nothing but a whisper that feels as if it's on the brink of imploding.

#17s were a big success for me.

"Criola" by Jorge Ben Jor – This sounds exactly like what I expected when the artist was announced. I've been pleased by the variety (and the Muppet torture), but this was lovely, too.

"Follow" by Brandi Carlile – I've enjoyed many of her songs but not hearted them as not necessarily my style. This is a huge exception and a huge heart on my list.

"Can't Stand Losing You" by The Police – One of my faves from them; I like the desperate sound to it.

"The Battle of Epping Forest" by Genesis – Enjoyed the few minutes I heard and saved the rest for later listening. I don't have time right now for a 12-minute chunk of anything, including showering or eating or returning shopping carts or watching my SO pee. I'm kidding - of course I'd spend 12 minutes on the shopping carts because I'm not an *******.

"The Summer of '91" by … - Loved the dissonance and the engine revving-type sounds near the end. Because I am going for an A+, I did the extra credit of listening to Pip's song, "Caterwaul." Loved the instrumentation but there was something about the vocal that turned me off a bit. The drumming was spectacular, though.

"Festival" by Sigur Ros – I think this is the single most stunning piece of music posted so far. Unlike most, it seems, I was particularly drawn in by the first half, which literally brought tears to my eyes. "Wow" doesn't sufficiently express my feeling on this one.

"Brooklyn" by Steely Dan – This is my second favorite that has been posted for them. I like hearing a different vocalist.

"Panic Song" by Green Day – Love this banger. I found it interesting to read that this was part of the "Insomniac sessions," because as a renowned insomniac it made me think of what's going through my brain when I'm trying unsuccessfully to fall asleep. That and the Benny Hill theme song.

Special shout-out to the Kinks and Elliott Smith songs from this playlist. I don't shout them out much because the songs are rarely new to me, but these are two of my favorites.

"Song of the Evergreens" by Chicago – As promised, no horns! Loved the vocal and the overall feel. Based on Pip's write-up, can't wait for #12.

"Shut Up" by The Stranglers – I listened to this one nine more times instead of finishing the Genesis song. OK, not really, but I could have. Fun.

"Hotel Chelsea Nights" by Ryan Adams – Loved the smoky lounge feel. Has anyone mentioned it sounds like Purple Rain? (I kid.)

"Last Train to London" by ELO – I don't usually trade Christmas gifts with my brother and his wife, but last year he mailed gifts, which set me into a mad scramble to send them some, too. One of the little stocking gifts was a miniature version of the game "Simon," which I was addicted to as a kid, so it was pretty touching that he remembered that. Anyway, the album cover looks like a Simon game. As for the song, I enjoyed it, but doesn't the "I really want the night to last forever" part sound like the chorus of the theme from the Mary Tyler Moore show?

"I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)" by Frank Black – I won't tell Pittsburgh native OH about this song. He already mostly dislikes the Pixies.

"Carmelita" by Warren Zevon – Loved the harmonies and the guitar work on this. Looked up to see who it was and was surprised to find Glenn Frey.

"Lonely Avenue" by Ray Charles – Great song but even better write-up by simey.

"Backstreets" by Bruce Springsteen – The rhythm section was on fire here, and I loved the keyboard parts as well. I was in the car the other day, and a "My Fab Four" was on the Beatles channel with someone identified as the drummer for the E Street Band. I don't remember who it was and don't know if they've had multiple drummers. Anyway, he was going on and on about Ringo and especially how Ringo was the first drummer he'd heard do that swing on the hi-hat. Some of the drumming in this song had a Ringo feel.

"Ziggy Stardust" by Bauhaus - Agree with all of the accolades thrown its way and also prefer this version to the original

The Decemberists
#16 As I Rise

As I Rise is the second of four selections from 2003's Her Majesty The Decemberists. Frankly I'm running out of things to say about some of these songs. It's extremely simple. No swashbuckling, Japanese folktales or ribald tales of a founding father.

And where Meloy is usual verbose, here he's restrained. The lyrics, in total:

I have come a few miles
I got blisters on my slippered feet
As I rise, as I ri-ise

California's ok
But I think I might stay in the shade
For a while, for a whi-ile

Ladybird, ladybird
You're the prettiest song I heard
In a while, in a whi-ile

La di dah, la dah, la di dah dah dah la dah, la la la, la dah dah-ah

(I particularly like the la di dahs)

16. Introduction
Album: Chicago Transit Authority (1969)
Writer: Terry Kath
Lead vocals: Terry Kath
Released as a single? No

Side 1, track 1 of album 1 tells you a lot about who Chicago Transit Authority was and what it wanted to accomplish. The music epitomizes their "rock band with horns" concept as well as anything they did. The rhythm section drives, the organ lends gravitas, the horns interject and Terry Kath's vocals and guitar soar. The two instrumental sections between the second and third verses show off their reach -- the first is an intricate jazz interlude, the second a screaming tidal wave of rock. This was something new and different: The strengths of jazz and rock perfectly balanced, not showbizzy like Blood, Sweat and Tears and not impenetrable like Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. (Both of those bands had ties to Jim Guercio as well.)
The lyrics are a statement of purpose in their own way. They are the band literally introducing itself:
Hey there, everybody
Please don't romp or roam
We're a little nervous
'Cause we're so far from home
So this is what we do
Sit back and let us groove
And let us work on you, yeah, mm
We've all spent years preparing
Before this group was born
With Heaven's help, it blended
And we do thank the Lord
So if you've nothing to do
Sit back and let us through
And let us play for you
Now we put you through the changes
And turned around the mood
We hope it's struck you different
And hope you feel moved
So forget all of your troubles
As we search for something new
And we play for you

Tanglewood version: https://youtu.be/_oAoSZ2y1cw?t=5
Leonid and Friends version (note that it has three guitarists replicating what Terry Kath did on this track): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9oQtSgIp4

At #15, lyrics that are really dumb, but who cares because of the glorious guitar wizardry.

#16 - The Stranglers - Bitching

Year - 1977
Album - No More Heroes
UK Chart position - Album Track
Vocals - Jean-Jacques Burnel
Key Lyric - (Bar bitching) Telling you the gospel truth
(Bar bitching) Why don't you all go get screwed?
(Bar bitching) Why don't you tell me something new?
(Bar bitching) Bar bitching

Interesting Points
1- With this song, Hugh Cornwell and Jean-Jacques Burnel are tied at 8-8 for lead vocals. Thats surprising. Even more so between 31-40 JJB has 7 of these tracks. From here on in though, 16-1 are a Hugh show, with only an occasional JJB appearance.

2- Despite the appearance of an aggressive song, this song was formed on the basis of a weekend in Amsterdam partaking in the local produce.

3- This is the first time we see something from their second album, No More Heroes. Their second one released in 1977. A lot of the songs that didn’t make it here, dominate the 32-50 ranked area

4- This is one of four songs that were done during the Rattus Norvegicus sessions, but not included for a variety of reasons. All 4 make the second album. We will see another one later on.

5- The first album Rattus Norvegicus peaked at #4 in the UK. The follow up No More Heroes reached #2. Their highest peak on the charts, with another album, the next one Black and White reaching the same spot, and a single to follow also reaching #2.

Summary to date
Year

1977 - 5
1978 - 4
1979 - 2
1980 - 0
1981 - 1
1982 - 1
1983 - 0
1984 - 2
1985 - 0
1986 - 0
1987 - 0
1988 - 1
1989 - 0
1990 onwards - 0

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 4/9
No More Heroes - 1/11
Black and White - 1/12
The Raven - 2/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 0/10
La Folie - 1/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 2/11
Dreamtime - 0/10
All Live and All of the Night - 1/13
10 - 0/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 1
Greatest Hits - 1
Standalone Single - 2

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwell - 8
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 8
Other - 0

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly
#29 - All Day and All of the Night
#28 - Meninblack
#27 - Goodbye Toulouse
#26 - Princess of the Streets
#25 - Sweden (All Quiet on the Eastern Front)
#24 - Duchess
#23 - Sometimes
#22 - La Folie
#21 - North Winds
#20 - No Mercy
#19 - 5 Minutes
#18 - Strange Little Girl
#17 - Shut Up
#16 - Bitching

The era of Hugh begins with one of their most controversial tracks. No ifs, ands, or buts. It’s pretty hardcore.

16. Again (off Alice in Chains, 1996)

Why, Why you slap me in the face, oww
I, I didn't say it was OK, no

(Official Video) Alice In Chains - Again
(Live Version) Alice In Chains - Again

That live version is from 1996, so a rare show for that year, but not the easiest of things to watch because of the reasons why. I could post the version from the Live album, but I’ll stick with something with a visual aspect per usual.

Anyway, ”Again” hits you hard and fast. Not just once, but again and again, you might even say. It’s an emotional song, hard-charged to show the anger and disappointment over broken trust sewed into the lyrics. A fractured relationship, but one repairable… if the behavior wasn’t repeated. And you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results.

Next on the countdown, we cross over with another artist on the (play)list.

#16 - Ray Charles w/B.B. King - Sinner's Prayer - spotify

Ray originally recorded Sinner's Prayer in 1957. It was on his debut album. He recorded it again with his friend B.B. King on his final album Genius Loves Company in 2004.

When Ray's health started rapidly declining in 2003, he had to stop his tour. He had hip replacement done, and the doctor discovered he had alcoholic liver disease and hepatitis C. Back in '65, he got arrested again for drugs, and instead of going to jail, he went to rehab to kick his heroin habit. He did kick it, but he replaced it with gin and pot. He drank hard and smoked weed for decades, and all the years of substance abuse caught up with him. After learning his diagnosis he said, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." His liver disease/hep C was at an advanced stage, and he didn't have much time left, but he wanted to finish a duet album he started working on. It took several months to finish, because they had to do it at times he was feeling up to it, but all of the guest musicians made themselves available, and it got done. Unfortunately, he died two months before it was released. It ended up being the best selling album of his career. It also won 8 grammys. I'd like to think he flashed that big smile of his, and took a big bow in Heaven. Brother Ray "The Genius" went out on top. :shades:

I love the interaction between Ray and B.B. on "Sinner's Prayer." They both channeled their blues for decades through music, and this was Ray's swan song to it, and he probably really was asking for some mercy with his days numbered. Ray is on vocals and piano, B.B. is on vocals and guitar, and Billy Preston joins them on the Hammond B3.

Foo FightersJust Win BabyMonkey Wrench

This is the first song I chose from The Colour And The Shape, the Foos' 2nd studio album. The album was nominated for the 1998 Grammy for Best Rock Album. Here is a link to the official video.

Dave has said this song was about a dysfunctional relationship. Here is a video of an acoustic performance on the Howard Stern Show.

In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked Monkey Wrench #3. This is their writeup:

Looking back, it feels bewildering that the lead single from The Colour And The Shape could’ve been anything other than the epic, definitive Everlong. Where that masterpiece showcased the depth of thought and feeling in Foo Fighters’ sound, however, it was the sense of immediate, smash-mouth momentum and fist-in-the-air catharsis of Monkey Wrench that would, shorter term, propel them towards rock’s big leagues. Interestingly, like Everlong, Dave told Mojo that the song was inspired by his failing marriage at the time. “It's about living with someone and feeling like you're living in a ****ing cell,” he reckoned. “And then I wound up getting a divorce.” That incredible one-breath bridge (‘One last thing before I quit! / I never wanted any more than I could fit into my head! / I still remember every single word you said / And all the **** that somehow came along with it! / Still, there's one thing that comforts me / Since I was always caged and now I'm free!’) remains their most brilliantly bristling moment.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Monkey Wrench #5. Here is their writeup:

Oh, to go back to the spring of 1997. There was a time when I could scream out the nervous breakdown of “Monkey Wrench” without taking a single breath and belt out the word “fast” as if the lives of me and my friends depended on it. I’m obsessed with nostalgia and worrying that looking back can be dangerous, but how can you not love this song? As the first single to The Colour and the Shape, it proved Grohl’s project had become a proper band and one with enough passion and energy to still be blowing the roofs off arenas two decades later.

Around 2019 (2014 article was updated "4 years ago"), Spin ranked what they characterized as all 152 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Monkey Wrench #7. Here is their writeup:

The second singled pulled from The Colour and the Shape is the one people remember, but don’t discount “Monkey Wrench,” which was the first single for a reason. Sure, there’s the stuff that Doesn’t Age Well — video with Grohl spitting into the camera, breathlessly shrieked bridge set to the tune of “Miss Mary Mack,” (“AND ALL THE **** THAT SOMEHOW CAME ALONG WITH IT!!“). But it also wastes no time detonating the coolest riff of the post-grunge era this side of “Interstate Love Song,” and far toothier — kind of like the Breeders’ “Divine Hammer,” on steroids and going surfing. Then you have the chorus, where each of Grohl’s weird yet pro forma rhymes (“wrench”/”acci-dent”) lands on the most barbed-wire chord he could’ve picked. Everything that was wonderful and hostile about the ’90s in under four minutes.

"Song of the Evergreens" by Chicago – As promised, no horns! Loved the vocal and the overall feel. Based on Pip's write-up, can't wait for #12.
I will warn you that #12 has horns -- but they're not used in the way that you hate. At least I don't think so. It's also a very short song so there is nothing proggy about it.

We have already seen three of the four horns-less songs on my list. The fourth won't appear until the top 10.

Genesis #16 - A Trick of the Tail

Album - A Trick of the Tail
Year - 1976

I love this song - light, quirky, upbeat. I was surprised I didn’t rank this higher, but then I saw my top 15 and couldn’t figure out what would move down.

The lyrics were inspired by a book Banks read about a beast that left its homeland and was captured by humans and held captive in a freak show.

The melody was from a song leftover from Foxtrot, and was supposedly influenced by the Beatles song “Getting Better”, which makes sense to me since I always thought this was a little Beatleish.

I’ll be singing this song in my head for the next few days.

Holy ****, the cats do not like the opening of Todd Rundgren's "International Feel." Panicked scattering out of the room, except for Danny Says who has his ears back and is looking at me with grave concern.

it's a gdamn spaceship mom!!!

they're f'n coming for us!!!

this is SO much worse than those f'n thunderstorms ...

get under the bed g'dammit ...

what are YOU???? nuts???

dammit girl - save yourself!!!

ETA: the music kicks in ...and you realize you don't know what life's about ...

Last edited:
"Festival" by Sigur Ros – I think this is the single most stunning piece of music posted so far. Unlike most, it seems, I was particularly drawn in by the first half, which literally brought tears to my eyes. "Wow" doesn't sufficiently express my feeling on this one.
Wow, that’s quite the endorsement! I’ve tried not to get too pretentious with my write ups but let’s just say that I have yet to figure out why it gets so dusty in the room when I put some of their songs on, especially once we get to the top 10.

"Last Train to London" by ELO – As for the song, I enjoyed it, but doesn't the "I really want the night to last forever" part sound like the chorus of the theme from the Mary Tyler Moore show?
YES! I've been trying for years to determine what that sounds like!
Yeah, I hear MTM in there.
I think ELO is going to make it after all.

I came in here with the following post and you just narrowly beat me. :lol:

"Looks like you're gonna make it after all. /zamboni"

Can I send someone a replacement link for “Barracuda”? @Zegras11 , if you’re on, the replacement Spotify link is in your messages from a few weeks ago when this issue first popped up.

#17 - The Stranglers - Shut Up

Key Lyric
- I said shut up
Shut up shut up
Shut up don't ya
Shut up shut up
Shut up shut up don't ya

Loved this part of the write-up, by the way. :lol:

what isn't apparent so many years later ... is the environment that was '77.

things were not looking good for young people ...either in the UK or the US.

growing up in middle class US - we were pretty damn happy to have missed getting drafted to go to Vietnam, but we weren't looking at much of an economic future

a close buddy of mine that turned me onto punk had this cranked at his parents when they were gone and we were ready to hammer some mushrooms ...will NEVER forget it

this by far my fav Stranglers album - and also love that they can go so different ( ...see Todd)

we won't see one of my favs here - and that I have a lovely daughter ...it's not cool - but it was memorable

Last edited:
The #16s are another playlist that has some of my very favorites from the material I know.

Todd's Bread is another standout from Hermit of Mink Hollow. The message may be a bit heavy-handed but the music and melody lessens the bummer of it. The track that follows it on the album has a similar message but is not as successful.

Wrapped Around Your Finger may be the most obvious forerunner of Sting's solo sound. However, it's brilliantly arranged and showcases Stewart Copeland's drumming fabulously. The video was pretty cool, too.

The title track of A Trick of the Tail is one of two songs from the album that may be in my top 5 Genesis (the other is Squonk). It's the most Beatlesque the band ever sounded. The piano parts are to die for.

Pretty much everything on TOD's Source Tags & Codes is a gem, and How Near, How Far is no exception. It's an incredible fusion of psych rock and postpunk.

Unlike Eephus I like most of the Kinks' Arista albums, and Catch Me Now I'm Falling is one of the best tracks from them. I don't care that some of it is cribbed from Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a fist pumper, and the lyrics are incredible.

Tom Sawyer is Rush's most famous song and one of its best. Nufced.

Countermoon is a standout from Fagen's solo career. Amazing melody.

When my son was about 4, we got into the car after doing an errand and Stevie Wonder came on the radio. My son: "What part-time lover?"

Chalkdust Torture was the single from Phish's first major label (and third overall) album, and its first song to get played on commercial radio. Live, it can be a raging rocker like on record or a spacier, experimental piece. One of the most out-there versions occurred at a show I saw in 1999, and the band liked that performance so much that they officially released the entire show despite the rest of it being just OK. The vocal on the studio version is usual lead singer Trey Anastasio, but the pitch of his vocal track was lowered, so he sounds different than usual. On the album the song is labeled as Chalk Dust Torture, but on live releases it's sometimes labeled as Chalkdust Torture. Hippies, amirite? The song also was performed on national TV twice, both times well after the album it came from was released. On their first appearance on Letterman, which happened in the mid-90s, they played it at Dave's request because he said it was his favorite song of theirs. On their only SNL appearance, in support of the Round Room album, this was their second song, owing to the fact that every track on Round Room except for 46 Days is a dull ballad or a long epic.

Again is a whirlwind of sound and fury. One of the best examples of AIC firing on all cylinders.

Another One Bites the Dust is Queen's second-most famous song and one of its best. Nufced.

I picked It's a Long Way to the Top in my 1975 countdown. What I said there:
93. It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) -- AC/DC (from TNT (Australia, 1975) and High Voltage (rest of the world, 1976))
This song has a convoluted release history. It appeared in 1975 on TNT, their second Australian album. A year later, selected tracks from their first two Australian albums, including this one, were released to the rest of the world as High Voltage. I'm counting it.
Now that we're done with the logistics, can we mention about how THEY MADE BAGPIPES ROCK? How is that even possible? The bagpipes (played by Bon Scott!) even trade solos with Angus Young at points. Otherwise, everything people came to love about AC/DC was already there: killer riffs, propulsive drums and everyman lyrics.

The Colour and the Shape is my favorite Foo album. A song that should appear later is a big reason why, but Monkey Wrench contributes to that as well. It's a huge ball of energy and set the template for the sound that made them the biggest rock act of the 21st century.

Barracuda is an absolute ***-kicker and deserves to be considered a feminist anthem. It was written by the Wilson sisters as a result of some icky behavior toward them from men in the industry.

Take Me to the Pilot is one of the earliest examples showing that Elton was a special talent.

I think this is the most verbose I have been about known-to-me stuff. Epic round.

Last edited:
On Hawaii’s big island now, and spent the past couple of days in the spectacular Volcanoes National Park.

On this one, I’ll just quickly say another soccer song: about the player, Fio Maravilha. Led to a dispute between Jorge Ben and the player. A couple of links below:

The Athletic (subscription may be required)

Another article (no subscription required)

…And Criola before it is the opening track off his first Tropicalia inspired album (the album cover in my avatar). I have a couple more from that album coming up.

Last edited:
I listened to the #17 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Police - Can't Stand Losing You
  • SRV - Scuttle Buttin'
  • Kinks - A Well Respected Man
  • Rush - Red Sector A - my favorite Rush song
  • Alice In Chains - Angry Chair
  • Bruce - Backstreets
On first listen to this playlist, this was the unfamiliar song I liked the best:
  • Brandi Carlile - Follow
Not as many new songs that fit my taste in this round.

Last edited:
Also, forgot to add - the band released this awesome video with the song (only the 3rd Genesis song with an accompanying video to this point). Collins said this was one of the cringiest videos he was ever a part of. Enjoy.

I can see why Mike Rutherford grew a beard. He looks goofy without one.
Steve Hackett looks so high in this video he probably thinks the tiny Phil Collins with big furry boots is real. Phil is fairly zooted himself.

RISE OF THE EAGLES!

showstopper, scene stealer - top of the pyramid here for me - dayyyyyummmm - this are the way!

pretentiousness has never sounded as gorgeous as "Wrapped Around Your Finger", it's just an incredibly crafted masterpiece, sosososoooo damn good ... and one of the coolest vids ever, to boot. could get lost for days up in this one.

Dovelies really hitting big on "Some Cities" - real Stone Roses vibe for me

that Todd song are goodt,

i may not have commented on Black Francis yet, but the guy never made a wrong turn - been loving the peel out.

hearted BIG THIEF for next sit with booze - contact bender

"Barracuda" really gets sold short in the timeless 70s AOR classics discussion - i'd be hard pressed to enjoy any song more when thst one reminds me of just how special it were ... and Annie Wilson takes a backseat to no vocalist.

... off for coffee.

pretentiousness has never sounded as gorgeous as "Wrapped Around Your Finger", it's just an incredibly crafted masterpiece, sosososoooo damn good ... and one of the coolest vids ever, to boot. could get lost for days up in this one.
For sure - I agree it's one of their best. When this came out, definitely needed the Encyclopedia Brittanica handy to understand a few of the lyrical references.

Can I send someone a replacement link for “Barracuda”? @Zegras11 , if you’re on, the replacement Spotify link is in your messages from a few weeks ago when this issue first popped up.
Doug, is Barracuda really your 16th ranked Heart song?
Can you explain why it gets that ranking?

I am honestly shocked. No issue if thats your personal choice.
Ive loved the list to date. Was happily surprised when Wheres the Girl made an appearance

#16. Countermoon is the second song on my list from Fagen's second solo album, Kamikiriad.

Like his first solo album, this one also has an overarching theme, albeit less historical and more in fantasy/science fiction, maybe even the future he dreamed of in I.G.Y. from his previous solo album. The title of this album--Kamikiriad--is a portmanteau of his fictional hi-tech car (a Kamakiri, as referenced in another song on the album) + Homer's The Iliad. Lyrics below:

On a night like this
You look up at your lover
It's like you're in some old cartoon

Then you detect
The scent of faded roses
Up in the sky
It's that cruel countermoon

Could that be murder you see in her eyes
You try a long and desperate kiss
You can't escape it
That beam is sure to find you

On a night like this
The story is told
How the women get restless
And the men grow cold
Gotham shudders
There's a chill in the air
There's a countermoon
Lovers all beware

Hand in hand
You walk along the river
You stop to clutch and caress
A countermoon beam
Comes sweeping off the water
She goes "You're not my Jackie.
My Jackie was the best."(he was the best)

Spitewaves are threatening
The seaside hotels
It's nasty weather for July
Last night you loved her
Tonight you wonder why

On a night like this
The story is told
How the women get restless
And the men grow cold
Gotham shudders
There's a chill in the air
There's a countermoon