What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (1 Viewer)

pretentiousness has never sounded as gorgeous as "Wrapped Around Your Finger", it's just an incredibly crafted masterpiece, sosososoooo damn good ... and one of the coolest vids ever, to boot. could get lost for days up in this one.
For sure - I agree it's one of their best. When this came out, definitely needed the Encyclopedia Brittanica handy to understand a few of the lyrical references.

i mean, who here amongst us hasn't been caught between the Scylla and Charibdes?

:grad:

Also, forgot to add - the band released this awesome video with the song (only the 3rd Genesis song with an accompanying video to this point). Collins said this was one of the cringiest videos he was ever a part of. Enjoy.

I can see why Mike Rutherford grew a beard. He looks goofy without one.
Steve Hackett looks so high in this video he probably thinks the tiny Phil Collins with big furry boots is real. Phil is fairly zooted himself.
And why is Phil holding a — mini pipe? Cigarette holder? — while singing?

Mystery Zone is my jam... very nice. Slightly off its rocker and that steady Spoony sound. A personal fave.

Finger seems appropriately placed. Another cool vid (as previously mentioned) from still early MTV era. So bouncy, Gordo

Good to see Tom Sawyer, like many it was my first immersion into the band, and Monkey Wrench from the Foos best work IMO

Again is probably the best song on AIC3 but there are other contenders, interested to see how this final 15 comes together...

Stuck Between Stations is a perfect snapshot of this post-Springsteen era of tunage, for me it evokes even other 00's artists that were dipping into a similar sound

Introduction makes me want to dive into this very early CTA stuff.. added to library, because who has time for that??

Last edited:
pretentiousness has never sounded as gorgeous as "Wrapped Around Your Finger", it's just an incredibly crafted masterpiece, sosososoooo damn good ... and one of the coolest vids ever, to boot. could get lost for days up in this one.
For sure - I agree it's one of their best. When this came out, definitely needed the Encyclopedia Brittanica handy to understand a few of the lyrical references.

i mean, who here amongst us hasn't been caught between the Scylla and Charibdes?

:grad:
I have only come here seeking knowledge, to drink some beer, and to kick some ***. #partyatthemoontower

16. Again (off Alice in Chains, 1996)

Why, Why you slap me in the face, oww
I, I didn't say it was OK, no

(Official Video) Alice In Chains - Again
(Live Version) Alice In Chains - Again

That live version is from 1996, so a rare show for that year, but not the easiest of things to watch because of the reasons why. I could post the version from the Live album, but I’ll stick with something with a visual aspect per usual.

Anyway, ”Again” hits you hard and fast. Not just once, but again and again, you might even say. It’s an emotional song, hard-charged to show the anger and disappointment over broken trust sewed into the lyrics. A fractured relationship, but one repairable… if the behavior wasn’t repeated. And you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results.

Next on the countdown, we cross over with another artist on the (play)list.
It depends on the day, but this may be my favorite Alice in Chains track.

Foo FightersJust Win BabyMonkey Wrench

This is the first song I chose from The Colour And The Shape, the Foos' 2nd studio album. The album was nominated for the 1998 Grammy for Best Rock Album. Here is a link to the official video.

Dave has said this song was about a dysfunctional relationship. Here is a video of an acoustic performance on the Howard Stern Show.

In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked Monkey Wrench #3. This is their writeup:

Looking back, it feels bewildering that the lead single from The Colour And The Shape could’ve been anything other than the epic, definitive Everlong. Where that masterpiece showcased the depth of thought and feeling in Foo Fighters’ sound, however, it was the sense of immediate, smash-mouth momentum and fist-in-the-air catharsis of Monkey Wrench that would, shorter term, propel them towards rock’s big leagues. Interestingly, like Everlong, Dave told Mojo that the song was inspired by his failing marriage at the time. “It's about living with someone and feeling like you're living in a ****ing cell,” he reckoned. “And then I wound up getting a divorce.” That incredible one-breath bridge (‘One last thing before I quit! / I never wanted any more than I could fit into my head! / I still remember every single word you said / And all the **** that somehow came along with it! / Still, there's one thing that comforts me / Since I was always caged and now I'm free!’) remains their most brilliantly bristling moment.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Monkey Wrench #5. Here is their writeup:

Oh, to go back to the spring of 1997. There was a time when I could scream out the nervous breakdown of “Monkey Wrench” without taking a single breath and belt out the word “fast” as if the lives of me and my friends depended on it. I’m obsessed with nostalgia and worrying that looking back can be dangerous, but how can you not love this song? As the first single to The Colour and the Shape, it proved Grohl’s project had become a proper band and one with enough passion and energy to still be blowing the roofs off arenas two decades later.

Around 2019 (2014 article was updated "4 years ago"), Spin ranked what they characterized as all 152 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking Monkey Wrench #7. Here is their writeup:

The second singled pulled from The Colour and the Shape is the one people remember, but don’t discount “Monkey Wrench,” which was the first single for a reason. Sure, there’s the stuff that Doesn’t Age Well — video with Grohl spitting into the camera, breathlessly shrieked bridge set to the tune of “Miss Mary Mack,” (“AND ALL THE **** THAT SOMEHOW CAME ALONG WITH IT!!“). But it also wastes no time detonating the coolest riff of the post-grunge era this side of “Interstate Love Song,” and far toothier — kind of like the Breeders’ “Divine Hammer,” on steroids and going surfing. Then you have the chorus, where each of Grohl’s weird yet pro forma rhymes (“wrench”/”acci-dent”) lands on the most barbed-wire chord he could’ve picked. Everything that was wonderful and hostile about the ’90s in under four minutes.
It depends on the day, but this may be my favorite Foos track.

Can I send someone a replacement link for “Barracuda”? @Zegras11 , if you’re on, the replacement Spotify link is in your messages from a few weeks ago when this issue first popped up.
Doug, is Barracuda really your 16th ranked Heart song?
Can you explain why it gets that ranking?

I am honestly shocked. No issue if thats your personal choice.
Ive loved the list to date. Was happily surprised when Wheres the Girl made an appearance

You're asking because you are shocked it isn't higher? Personally, I have always thought that song is overrated and overplayed. I mean, it's okay, but I'd be fine if I never heard it again. :shrug:

My favorite part of the song is the last verse when lyrically the tables have turned and the music picks it up a notch.

devil and the deep blue see behind me
vanish in the air, you'll never find me

🥁
i will turn your face to alabaster
when you'll find your servant is your master

ooooh you'll be wrapped around my finger

My favorite part of the song is the last verse when lyrically the tables have turned and the music picks it up a notch.

devil and the deep blue see behind me
vanish in the air, you'll never find me

🥁
i will turn your face to alabaster
when you'll find your servant is your master

ooooh you'll be wrapped around my finger

YES!

... oh, and speaking of pretentious - this woulda been a great Bauhas/Goff song

😁

Song: Amy
Album: Heartbreaker
Released: 2000
Artist: Ryan Adams

We go back to Adam's first solo album for the 16th round. Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs.....although when Adams does a love song there's generally nothing silly about it, as there's always some sense of longing involved in there. I love the light guitar to start the song and a melody that somehow sounds familiar without being derivative.

I don't know why I let go
I want to be your friend
Flowers grow through my window and I love you again
Oh, I love you oh
When you laid me down into your beautiful garden
Flowers in the love of my arms
It's God shining through to me I guess
It's God shining through to me I guess
I love you Amy
Do you still love me?

One time we were playing the board game Taboo. It was our turn, and the word to guess was "barracuda." I looked at my boyfriend, and verbally did the opening music for 2 seconds to the song, and he instantly said Barracuda, which was correct. On the next turn, a couple that was playing with us had the word "joke." The exchange went just like this:

Marc: Something I always tell.
Holli: LIES!! :lol:

Last edited:
My favorite 17/16's

Can't Stand Losing You - Police 🚨
Scuttle Buttin' - SRV
A Well Respected Man - The Kinks
Milk of Human Kindness - Clutch
Tightrope - ELO
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen 👑
Some Cities - Doves
S & G - Fakin' It
The Prodigy - Rise of the Eagles
Heart ❤️ - Barracuda
The only like post I've received for the angry ,screaming Clutch tracks- thanks!

My favorite 17/16's

Can't Stand Losing You - Police 🚨
Scuttle Buttin' - SRV
A Well Respected Man - The Kinks
Milk of Human Kindness - Clutch
Tightrope - ELO
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen 👑
Some Cities - Doves
S & G - Fakin' It
The Prodigy - Rise of the Eagles
Heart ❤️ - Barracuda
The only like post I've received for the angry ,screaming Clutch tracks- thanks!

if i haven't shouted 'em yet, that be an oversight - i enjoy the louder/screamier chit, very much.

Random thoughts on some of the new-to-me #16s from the first half of the playlist:

My wife said I was tapping my feet the whole time I had the Brandi Carlile song on. I had no idea.

It would have been fun to be in the crowd for this rousing rendition of East Jesus Nowhere.

Black Diamonds may be my favorite Big Thief yet. Great urgency and energy. It helps that the guitar sounds a bit like Neil.

Digital Love is outstanding. The melody is allowed to breathe, unlike with some other EDM tracks.

The Swift and Smith songs are both chillingly good.

I like how Bitching chugs along, and the lyrics are again very punk.

#16 It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) (High Voltage)

Bagpipes! Best rock song ever to include bagpipes

My third song off High Voltage and my favorite. Just a super cool tune. No guitar solo in this one either. Instead it features interplay between Angus and Bon on the bagpipes.

Album breakdown
0 74 Jailbreak
3 High Voltage
2 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
3 Let There Be Rock
3 PowerAge
2 Highway To Hell
1 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
1 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
0 Who Made Who
0 Blow Up Your Video
0 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
1 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

A couple Brian Johnson tunes coming up next. So far my list is heavily leaning toward Bon. Spoiler: that does not change much in the second half of the ranking.

My list so far:

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) Bon
Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round To Be A Millionaire) Bon
Can't Stand Still Brian
Gone Shootin' Bon
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap Bon
Whole Lotta Rosie Bon
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) Bon
Girls Got Rhythm Bon
Landslide Brian
Crabsody In Blue Bon
The Jack Bon
T.N.T. Bon
Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be Bon
Riff Raff Bon
Hells Bells Brian
For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) Brian

Doug, is Barracuda really your 16th ranked Heart song?
Can you explain why it gets that ranking?

I ranked Heart's songs based, broadly, on 'how much I like listening to song at the time I'm making the list'. Everything after the top several is a bit of a grab bag.

Were my rankings more based on 'musicianship' or 'impact', "Barracuda" would be higher. Using instead the necessarily-subjective 'how much I like listening' metric, "Barracuda" takes a bit of a hit due to overfamiliarity and some cliched use in other media.

Make no mistake, though: all 31 of these Heart songs I appreciate and enjoy. 16th overall from Heart's catalog is no disgrace.

#16 - "Part Time Lover"

I don't think Stevie put a lot of effort into composing this record - sounds like he just wanted to have fun with the lyrics & his voice, but the way the lyrics are structured is probably the closest he ever got to Smokey Robinson. I don't much care what he's singing about and I don't think he does, either. To me, it's the performance. His voice is pinging back-and-forth like shaking a glass with a couple of dice in it. As with most of his '80s stuff, the high end sounds too big in the mix to me (I can't hear any bass at all). And that groove! But that part should surprise no one.

Random thoughts on some new-to-me tracks from the second half of the #16 playlist:

Did Warren Zevon take singing lessons from the Clutch guy for Ain't That Pretty at All?

I remember Stuck Between Stations from GP4. Amazing lyrics.

For Tomorrow is an example of how the chain of influence runs from The Kinks to The Jam to Blur.

Stolen Car has a nice vocal arrangement and few of the Bruce-isms that annoy me.

Love the wild squeaks of synth and sax on In Fear of Fear. (I'm guessing Krista doesn't.)

RushhigginsMiddletown Dreams
Middletown Dreams is one of their best songs, IMO. I'd characterize it as a Neil song because the lyrics really carry this one, but it partners well with the music. The idea behind the lyrics is that even though you may be in a later stage in life, or if people may look at you askew in your lofty pursuits, you can still make your dreams happen. While there isn't a guitar solo, the guitar work is noticeable and pops at the right times. Towards the end of the song, at around the 4 minute mark, Geddy really nails this part of the lyrics:

Dreams transport desires
Drive you when you’re down
Dreams transport the ones who need to get out of town

Then the bass line before the end, where they finish up with "They dream in Middletown". That bass line is tremendous. And then they wrap it up at a crisp 5:15 or so. Very manageable.

Highly recommend Middletown Dreams. Really glad to see it @higgins.

RushhigginsLosing It
This is a really interesting pick and placement by @higgins to put Losing It right after Middletown Dreams in his list. Losing It is the story of those artists or professionals that have a phenomenal ability whose edge comes off with age, and having to deal with that loss. It's a song based on tremendous sorrow of losing that ability which once made you great. Also, in life for all of us, you will Lose It too. It's super relatable as we age, IMO. This song does contain an Alex solo at right around the 3 minute mark. And it's a good one.

@higgins, if you did the placement of Middletown Dreams and Losing It on purpose, that is extra level deep man. These are two great songs to pair up. Well done in any case!

I intended to talk about choosing the live version of East Jesus Nowhere because it felt like Green Day produced 21st Century Breakdown to perform live, and this rendition best exemplifies that, but amidst the heavy hitters in this playlist this gets lost in the shuffle. Nice work, everyone!

I intended to talk about choosing the live version of East Jesus Nowhere because it felt like Green Day produced 21st Century Breakdown to perform live, and this renditions best exemplifies that, but amidst the heavy hitters in this playlist this gets lost in the shuffle. Nice work, everyone!
Always liked this one.

RushhigginsRed Sector A
Red Sector A is Cold War Rush at its finest. If you grew up in the 80's with the Cold War, you'll appreciate Red Sector A. Grace Under Pressure is right in my wheelhouse, it was their first album that I purchased immediately upon release, so it strikes a sentimental chord for me. This is the second track @higgins included from Grace Under Pressure IIRC, so I appreciate where this list is coming from. It would have been easy, simple work to pick 31 well known Rush songs and call it a day.

How Higgins' Rush list compares with Ghost Rider's Rush top 50 countdown thus far:

Double Agent -- Higgins #31, Ghost Rider #29
Open Secrets -- Higgins #30, Ghost Rider not ranked
Ghost of a Chance -- Higgins #29, Ghost Rider #37
Witch Hunt -- Higgins #28, Ghost Rider #28 (BINGO!)
The Pass -- Higgins #27, Ghost Rider #21
The Spirit of Radio -- Higgins #26, Ghost Rider #8
Closer to the Heart -- Higgins #25, Ghost Rider #23
Lakeside Park -- Higgins #24, Ghost Rider not ranked
Finding My Way -- Higgins #23, Ghost Rider not ranked
Between the Wheels -- Higgins #22, Ghost Rider #27
The Weapon -- Higgins #21, Ghost Rider #33
Middletown Dreams -- Higgins #20, Ghost Rider #31
Losing It -- Higgins #19, Ghost Rider not ranked
Working Man -- Higgins #18, Ghost Rider not ranked (very controversially)
Red Sector A -- Higgins #17, Ghost Rider #18
Tom Sawyer -- Higgins #16, Ghost Rider #7

There are a lot of similarities thus far. And of course the divergence on Working Man (GR is divergent with most Rush fans on that).

There are a lot of similarities thus far. And of course the divergence on Working Man (GR is divergent with most Rush fans on that).
Thanks for posting this Pip!! Really enjoy both of these lists and the comparisons.

I'm probably a bit more with GR on the Working Man and Finding My Way omissions. I wouldn't include any songs from that album, personally. I could easily ditch Closer to the Heart as well. I think I missed commenting on The Spirit of Radio. I am, on the other hand a big fan there. Permanent Waves is pinnacle Rush, IMO.

Also glad to hear there was controversy! Heck it wouldn't be a Rush discussion without some.

Thanks for posting this Pip!! Really enjoy both of these lists and the comparisons.

I'm probably a bit more with GR on the Working Man and Finding My Way omissions. I wouldn't include any songs from that album, personally. I could easily ditch Closer to the Heart as well. I think I missed commenting on The Spirit of Radio. I am, on the other hand a big fan there. Permanent Waves is pinnacle Rush, IMO.

Also glad to hear there was controversy! Heck it wouldn't be a Rush discussion without some.
Some of the comments from back then:

To answer you question [of why Working Man doesn't get love on the list], because these folks should have their rush fandom license permanetly revoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5VuBzo-Qc

If that isn't top 50 then you probably hate labrador pups.

I appreciate the effort GR has put into this, but I feel compelled to state that without Working Man, none of us would have ever heard of this band. How is it not in the Top 50?

Rush - Working Man is a timeless classic from them. I love this song. What Your Doing is my favorite from the debut. A pure Led Zeppelin inspired romp and the ATWAS version is my signature go to version of this song. I am kinda stunned you did not have Working Man in your tp 50

Some of the comments from back then:
To answer you question [of why Working Man doesn't get love on the list], because these folks should have their rush fandom license permanetly revoked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5VuBzo-Qc

If that isn't top 50 then you probably hate labrador pups.

I appreciate the effort GR has put into this, but I feel compelled to state that without Working Man, none of us would have ever heard of this band. How is it not in the Top 50?

Rush - Working Man is a timeless classic from them. I love this song. What Your Doing is my favorite from the debut. A pure Led Zeppelin inspired romp and the ATWAS version is my signature go to version of this song. I am kinda stunned you did not have Working Man in your tp 50
I suspect these comments may have come from the account of John Rutsey's mom.

Tightrope

I missed posting about Last Train to London - it's a nice little song on the more Disco-themed Discovery album, although I wouldn't call it disco. And yea, the chorus does have a Mary Tyler Moore feel - good call @krista4.

Here's Tightrope, which leads off the awesome New World Record album. It's everything ELO does well - keyboard and classic music beginning with soaring waterfall-like violins leading to a guitar led pop-rock song with "kind of observant and irreverent but not really that deep" lyrics and lots of backing call/response. It's very listenable, but more of a deep cut than a hit, and it's really a fantastic album opener. I love it.

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 16: Stuck Between Stations

There was that night that we thought John Berryman could fly.
But he didn't so he died.
She said 'You're pretty good with words but words won't save your life.'
And they didn't so he died.

Album: Boys and Girls in America (Song 3 of 4)

Year: 2006

# of Times Seen Live: 39 of 39 shows

The Story: This is the sound of The Hold Steady swinging for the fences. After two critically acclaimed but still niche albums, Boys and Girls in America saw THS forgo their trademark odd song structures, super-specific lyrics, and general shoutiness (Craig even took voice lessons) and record an album full of big hooks and relatively accessible sing-along songs. Disdaining the 90’s notion of “selling out,” The Hold Steady hoped BAGIA would make them huge. Instead, they had to settle for even more indie cred and opening for the Stones, mainly because (1) maybe short of Foo Fighters, middle-aged rock bands just didn’t get huge anymore and (2) even if some did, chances are it wasn’t gonna be a band that’s as divisive as THS anyway.

As the opening track on BAGIA, Stuck Between Stations, with the band at their absolute Bruce-iest, served notice on their intentions. Even though I prefer a less polished THS, if I were ranking these instead of putting together a setlist, it's definitely top 5. There’s a reason it’s the only song they’ve played at every single show since it was released.

Last edited:
RushhigginsLosing It
This song does contain an Alex solo at right around the 3 minute mark. And it's a good one.
@Grace Under Pressure Thanks for the commentary! :thumbup:

FYI: Other than a pre-solo couple of guitar notes, the solo is actually by electric violinist Ben Mink, marking the only time Rush has included a non-core musician into one of its studio albums (to my knowledge).

#16 It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) (High Voltage)

Bagpipes! Best rock song ever to include bagpipes

My third song off High Voltage and my favorite. Just a super cool tune. No guitar solo in this one either. Instead it features interplay between Angus and Bon on the bagpipes.

Album breakdown
0 74 Jailbreak
3 High Voltage
2 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
3 Let There Be Rock
3 PowerAge
2 Highway To Hell
1 Back in Black
1 For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)
1 Flick of the Switch
0 Fly On The Wall
0 Who Made Who
0 Blow Up Your Video
0 The Razor’s Edge
0 BallBreaker
1 Stiff Upper Lip
0 Black Ice
0 Rock or Bust
0 Power Up

A couple Brian Johnson tunes coming up next. So far my list is heavily leaning toward Bon. Spoiler: that does not change much in the second half of the ranking.

My list so far:

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) Bon
Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round To Be A Millionaire) Bon
Can't Stand Still Brian
Gone Shootin' Bon
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap Bon
Whole Lotta Rosie Bon
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) Bon
Girls Got Rhythm Bon
Landslide Brian
Crabsody In Blue Bon
The Jack Bon
T.N.T. Bon
Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be Bon
Riff Raff Bon
Hells Bells Brian
For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) Brian
Definitely a top 10 AC/DC for me, probably top 5

Selected favorites from #16. Back to random shuffling!

*Night on the Sun - Modest Mouse
*Digital Love - Daft Punk. About 2 minutes in, this started sounding familiar. I’m not sure where (or if), but by then I was busy enjoying it.
*Another One Bites The Dust - Queen. Simply a fascinating song for a number of reasons surrounding it. Also, yes, a killer bass line.
*Me and the Boys - Slade
*East Jesus Nowhere - Green Day
*The Mystery Zone - Spoon
*Filho Maravilha - Jorge Ben Jor
*Trick of the Tail - Genesis. Always a soft spot for this song, especially the chorus
*cowboys like me - Taylor Swift
*For Tomorrow - Blur

There’s an urge to list… close to half the songs, but I’ll stop there for now. Lots to love, for sure!

Knew 11 of the 16's
Of known songs, Wrapped Around Your Finger and Barracuda would be top 5 in my rankings.
Tom Sawyer is my fav Rush song and I took it in world wide dummies .
Fav to me in playlist order
Night on the Sun- this might be my fav from this playlist - love this!
Black Diamonds- fav by far by them!
Sinner's Prayer- never knew this existed,good stuff!
Rise of the Eagles- this is pretty good and surprised me! What's the deal with the artist name or is this a cover ?
In Fear of Fear- maybe my fav so far by them

I listened to the #16 playlist.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked these songs:
  • Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger - my favorite Police song!
  • SRV - Love Struck Baby
  • Rush - Tom Sawyer - even though it has been overplayed to death over the years
  • Alice In Chains - Again
  • Queen - Another One Bites The Dust - played daily on the jukebox in the cafeteria when I was in 7th grade... until someone broke the jukebox...
  • AC/DC - It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Modest Mouse - Night On The Sun
  • Ray Charles, BB King - Sinner's Prayer
  • Spoon - The Mystery Zone
I'm finally caught up! Until tomorrow...

Users who are viewing this thread