What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Waterfall

Waterfall... just a nice, easy ELO ballad (and my wife's favorite ELO song). Its off Face the Music, which is the album that really started the hit machine (Evil Woman is on it). Face the Music is a little overshadowed by the two that followed it, but I feel it's just as good, and is a nice bridge from "old-sound" ELO to the polished pop hit band they became.

but - in general - I think the cream rises to the top and that - again, in general - the biggest radio hits tend towards being among the best the artist recorded.

I can't say that is the case for my favorite artists - I'd say a lot of my favorites tend to be songs that didn't make the radio. You know there were only a couple (in most cases - unless you were the Beatles) that were selected for "singles" radio play and most had a "formula" ...mass appeal, 3 minutes, etc. Not a hard and fast rule but you know what I'm saying.

albums were so full of good tunes - just think of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - holy sheet, so many good songs - and someone wants "Bennie and the Jets"? (not a bad song ...but it's bottom third on that album)

but - in general - I think the cream rises to the top and that - again, in general - the biggest radio hits tend towards being among the best the artist recorded.

I can't say that is the case for my favorite artists - I'd say a lot of my favorites tend to be songs that didn't make the radio. You know there were only a couple (in most cases - unless you were the Beatles) that were selected for "singles" radio play and most had a "formula" ...mass appeal, 3 minutes, etc. Not a hard and fast rule but you know what I'm saying.

albums were so full of good tunes - just think of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - holy sheet, so many good songs - and someone wants "Bennie and the Jets"? (not a bad song ...but it's bottom third on that album)
I hear you, and there are some artists where what you are describing applies to me. But not most, or anywhere close to most, for me. I tend to think that what we look back on a mass appeal is just because that artist changed the game and we sometimes ret-con the history. Formula only becomes formula after someone changes what's possible.

That's just me, though, and I know most will disagree with me.

Every Breath You Take

Feelin' Stronger Every Day

Bohemian Rhapsody

Blur --- Song 2

Heartless

Tiny Dancer
Some great known-to-me's from the 8s.

Every Breath You Take was the song that got me into the Police. Stalking or not I just love the sound of this song. Tiny Dancer is top5 Elton song for me - and that's saying something - because I love many EJ tunes

I love Song 2, but not sure it gets into a Blur top 5 for me, maybe not even top 10 - certainly not top 10 for an Albarn list

Edit - just checking the track listing of the best of album I have, it might just be top 10 of just Blur
It was a throwaway song recorded quickly for a b side. Then they realised how good it was
Albarn is such a great writer that he has so many different styles and why he is still writing fresh material, that is still popular, maybe more popular than ever 35 years after he started.

I find Blurs first 2 albums (Modern Life is Rubbish and Leisure) a bit more of a slog than Eephus, but you can hear the greatness.
Since then nothing but home runs

Eephus has done such a good job of showcasing the variety and picking stuff i glossed over.
I was gonna do Gorillaz next go round, but Eephus has picked some great deep cuts, and left off big singles….so far, that i thought were almost certainly getting missed. Blur probably has been underrepresented but we have 7 to go.

JML’s Reimagined rankings
Part 5 - Modest Mouse
31-21 re-ranked
Drafter - @The Dreaded Marco

Every songs gets 3 full listens, more if I feel its going somewhere and i need to persist. If I havent given it 3 listens, its because something really annoyed me. That will show up in the comments

Prior Knowledge of artist
I had heard Float On and Never Ending Math Equation. They were enjoyable enough, but not enough to make me dive in for more

Expectations
Hoping to enjoy them. Alternative indie from the 00s had some great artists and hoping they could join them. Probably have higher expectations for them than most other artists here

My Reimagined Rankings
31 - Custom Concern
The out of tune harmonies drove me up the wall. Did not enjoy this at all

30 - Novocain Stain
I think I tried 5 times to get into this one and it was like blood from a stone

29 - Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
Love their titles, but just didnt enjoy this one

28 - Teeth Like Gods Shoeshine
Epic song. Not sure im fully onboard with it. Maybe with a bit more patience

27 -Heart Cooks Brain
Interesting song. Not the worst for sure

26 - Gravity Rides Everything
This was enjoyable without wowing me. Starting to get into this

25 - The World at Large
This is quite pleasant. Could really get into this

24 - Dramamine
Bit of an endurance test at first, but persistance paid off with this one

23 - Never Ending Math Equation
Like some of these songs, they sound like the band the Presidents if the United States of America. The humor, the delivery, the musical style

22 - 3rd Planet
Really enjoyed this a lot. As this was the first one I heard, i was expecting this and more. Not quite, but this still sounds great

21 - Float On
Familiarity places this here. I will be curious to see if I find others better. I hope so, but if its my number one so be it

Comments to date - This is probably my most divisive list to date. Some stuff i really like, but other stuff is really irritating and annoying. I think this list is upside down in my rankings vs Marco, so will be interested to hear what is to come. The songs i have enjoyed have been perfectly in synch with my tastes so am looking forward to the rest, probably more than other artists cause, At their best, very happy with what i am hearing. At their worst i want to run away

Next up Genesis

I love Song 2, but not sure it gets into a Blur top 5 for me, maybe not even top 10 - certainly not top 10 for an Albarn list

Edit - just checking the track listing of the best of album I have, it might just be top 10 of just Blur
Top 5 Blur for me.

It took me a couple years to realize that his head was actually not being checked by a “jamboché”.

It wasn’t easy, but many things aren’t. Gotta google the lyrics!

Great song.

Part 6 - Genesis
31-21 re-ranked
Drafter - @Yo Mama

Every songs gets 3 full listens, more if I feel its going somewhere and i need to persist. If I havent given it 3 listens, its because something really annoyed me. That will show up in the comments

I knew they dominated the charts, along with solo Phil Collins to the point of over exposure and irritation. I knew the Peter Gabriel era was more proggish but hadnt been exposed to that. Pretty much only know the hits.

Expectations
Looking forward to hearing the longer tracks and less commercial stuff cause the commercial stuff is done for me. Its almost like a shiver down the spine of horror at listening to the hits again

My Reimagined Rankings
31 - Home by Sea
I am really not a fan of Shouty Phil Collins. Its distracting and irritating

30 - Dusk
Nice but had trouble getting into it

29 - Squonk
Its just there. Maybe something if i persisted, but not enough time

28 - Behind the Lines
These keyboard led songs have charm, but just something missing

27 - Dodo/Lurker
Quite dramatic and interesting

26 - That’s All
One of the more friendly hits

25 - One for the Vine
Quite fun. Not what I expected at all

24 - The Knife
Love the boogie riff to begin. Never thought i would enjoy the guitar base provided here, but i did

23 - Abacab
A lot more here on this track. Great variety

22 - Ripples
Epic chorus. Everything here works well

21 - More Fool Me
Peter Gabriel is such a great balladeer. He points more emotion and passion into his ballads than Phil Collins. usually. Enjoyed this a lot.

Comments to date - Another divisive list for me. Some of the prog stuff and longer tracks leave me cold, but others are highly enjoyable. Sometimes its a relief to hear a song i know, other times an irritation. Am curious and looking forward to see the mix moving forward

Next up Stevie Ray Vaughan. I do not expect to like this. Bluesish guitarists doing their art is my idea of musical hell. Hope Im wrong. I love melody. Im sure some people think my love of plinky plonky snyth pop is irritating to them, so be it.

Part 5 - Modest Mouse
31-21 re-ranked

I had heard Float On and Never Ending Math Equation. They were enjoyable enough, but not enough to make me dive in for more

Expectations
Hoping to enjoy them. Alternative indie from the 00s had some great artists and hoping they could join them. Probably have higher expectations for them than most other artists here

My Reimagined Rankings
31 - Custom Concern

30 - Novocain Stain

27 -Heart Cooks Brain

25 - The World at Large

24 - Dramamine

Like some of these songs, they sound like the band the Presidents if the United States of America. The humor, the delivery, the musical style

22 - 3rd Planet
Really enjoyed this a lot. As this was the first one I heard, i was expecting this and more. Not quite, but this still sounds great

21 - Float On
Familiarity places this here. I will be curious to see if I find others better. I hope so, but if its my number one so be it

Comments to date - This is probably my most divisive list to date. Some stuff i really like, but other stuff is really irritating and annoying. I think this list is upside down in my rankings vs Marco, so will be interested to hear what is to come. The songs i have enjoyed have been perfectly in synch with my tastes so am looking forward to the rest, probably more than other artists cause, At their best, very happy with what i am hearing. At their worst i want to run away

Next up Genesis
I appreciate what you’re doing with the re-ranking of all our lists.

I will say, for the 5th(?) time, these Modest Mouse songs are not in my ranked order, least to most favorite. I will definitely not make that mistake on any future lists I do for these threads 😀.

I hope you like at least one more of the remaining MM songs on my list.

Part 5 - Modest Mouse
31-21 re-ranked

Expectations

My Reimagined Rankings
31 - Custom Concern

30 - Novocain Stain

27 -Heart Cooks Brain

25 - The World at Large

24 - Dramamine

22 - 3rd Planet

21 - Float On

Next up Genesis
I appreciate what you’re doing with the re-ranking of all our lists.

I will say, for the 5th(?) time, these Modest Mouse songs are not in my ranked order, least to most favorite. I will definitely not make that mistake on any future lists I do for these threads 😀.

I hope you like at least one more of the remaining MM songs on my list.
Sorry. My assumption haha.
Makes sense as i found the order a bit whack

Im pretty confident i will like several more and not like others, but thats more exciting to me than a list where i like everything or hate everything

Here are 22 thoughts on some random 8s...

Sunny Afternoon - 🌞 One of my favorites.
Holiday - One of their songs I instantly associate with them. They have a lot of good songs.
Always the Sun - This song reminds of an 80s tune.
The Man Who Told Everything - This is good. I like the acoustic guitar, his melancholy vocals and the strings.
Heartless - Rockin' the 70s
Possum - I like this, but I like the live link even better that has the awesome piano in it.
Get Out Of This - I like the guitar in this.
Love's In Need of Love Today - Smooth
Slam The Hammer Down - 🎸 🔨 🎸🔨
Who Made Who - ⚡ A lot of their songs have a good beat to them.
Every Breath You Take - :ph34r: I've always liked the intro music to this.
Bohemian Rhapsody - 👑
Broke - I like those ending 🥁
Song 2 - woohoo
The Devil and Me - Catchy rocker
Any World (That I'm Welcome To) - I always forget about this one when I think about Steely Dan songs. I've always liked it.
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Great cover. 🎸
A Perfect Teenhood - killer drums right before he fbombs the song.
Maroon - I like this, and I especially like "I Bet You Think About Me" from a couple rounds ago.
Hollow Hills - This is a moody piece. I bet it would be cool to hear on a late night drive. Tomorrow night is a full moon. 🌕
New World Man - Geddy Lee is going to town on that bass. I like saying his full name because it sounds southern as if his last name was his middle. Geddy Lee you get in this house for supper!
Girls Like Status - Lots of cool instrumental sounds going on.

I made it through some of the #8s while preparing a miso-honey marinade*.

"Love of the Common Man" by Todd sounded like a good TV theme song, sorta like "The Greatest American Hero." I don't mean that as an insult.

Misheard lyrics alert, Portuguese edition: I couldn't figure out why Jorge Ben Jor was singing "for the VCR."

"Apology Song" by the Decemberists was surprisingly engaging. Reading the write-up, I didn't expect much, but it was my favorite on the playlist so far. Sounds like something that band members are just ****ing around with in the studio between takes - like when the Beatles sang a bunch of songs about each other's pets - but then somehow made it onto an actual recording, and it's good. Earnest and impossibly charming.

The selection from Sigur Ros, which I hearted, reminded me that I forgot to add their song to my write-up of the #9s, since it wasn't on Spotify. The #9 was probably my second favorite from them so far.

*This one, which I've made twice and can't recommend highly enough. Easy and insanely delicious. I use a bit more ginger, a bit more hot sauce, and a lot more garlic. Today doing it with salmon and broccolini.

Last edited:
Ugh I really wanted to catch back up here and it's just not happening. Good news it's because I am preoccupied with a bunch of really good things. I've just been in a real particular mood about what I will listen to. I know I am missing out on some great music though.

21 - More Fool Me
Peter Gabriel is such a great balladeer. He points more emotion and passion into his ballads than Phil Collins. usually. Enjoyed this a lot.
Love the re-ranks. Funny you should mention this because this was one of only two songs where Collins was lead vocalist on a Gabriel-fronted album. Gabriel did offer some great harmony here though.
Thats a Collins vocal? Seriously? Dont worry, i get things wrong all the time.

Had to listen again.
Yep, Collins, but when Gabriel harmonises im just more attuned to his voice for some reason.
Amazing how i was able to tell a Gabriel song from a Collins song with my wilful ignorance lol

Green DayMAC_32Holiday
Good memories of this one. We played American Idiot and stopped at In N Out before every Ducks game when they won the Cup in 2006.
Those hoping for Blvd of Broken Dreams will need to queue up this double on Spotify on your own. I utilized the play list test in deciding what to do with them. Holiday finds itself on many and I never skip it whereas Blvd only gets played within the context of the album. I think it's a good listen when going cover-to-cover as it's well positioned in the story arc, but Green Day ballads are generally more miss than hit with me. It is one of their better ones, but all that does is creep up towards top 31 contention whereas Holiday by itself is a no doubter top 10. No matter your politics this song is infectious, although the bridge/breakdown section may not settle well with many, but if that's your deal breaker then you probably didn't get passed the first song on the album anyway.

Damon Albarn song #8

Blur - "Song 2" from Blur (1997)

I thought about pulling the cheeky move to rank "Song 2" at #2. Itcertainly wouldn't have been out of place to rank it that highly. It's track two of the album and clocks in at 2:01.

It would also have been cheeky to leave it off altogether. It's Blur's most streamed song by a factor of five and has been overplayed even in the US. But when push came to shove, I couldn't do that because "Song 2" is one of the great Rock songs of the nineties. Even more than "Beetlebum", it announced the end of Britpop and a new phase for the band's career.

Alex James' fuzzy bass riff under Damon's "Woo hoos" in the chorus always get me going although I still have no idea how you'd get your head checked by a jumbo jet. When it first came out I thought Damon got his head shaved by a barber named Ed Jamoche.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/1FTSo4v6BOZH9QxKc3MbVM

Live at Glastonbury 1998

I finally listened to the #12 playlist. Still behind but catching up.

Excluding my own song, I already knew that I liked this song:
  • Queen – Crazy Little Thing Called Love – my third favorite Queen song, which is very high praise!
On first listen to this playlist, these were the unfamiliar songs I liked the best:
  • Todd Rundgren – I Saw The Light
  • Brandi Carlile – Wherever is Your Heart
  • Big Thief – Change
  • Ryan Adams – Stay With Me – easily my favorite RA song so far in this countdown
  • Alice In Chains – Sea Of Sorrow
Another enjoyable playlist!

Last edited:
Round 8 Thoughts

Awesome playlist all around. It’s safe to assume I liked your song even if I don’t call it out here.

Todd Rundgren - this was the Todd I was most used to in my previous listening (not this song, but ones like it). I’ve really liked hearing the variety of his work here. This one was great. Funny @krista4 called out Greatest American Hero with this song. I had the same thought with an earlier round but couldn’t figure out how to make the comment sound like a compliment (Krista did a better job of it than I could).

Trail of Dead and Doves - can’t wait for these playlists (if you have them) at the end of this. I’ve really liked everything I’ve heard from these two every round and this round’s were excellent.

Steely Dan - I’m not sure why, but I’ve never heard this one. It was great.

Taylor Swift - wow, this was my favorite of hers so far.

Stranglers - I used to love this song. Never made the connection it was The Stranglers.

The Hold Steady - was this in a movie or a show? It sounded familiar. I like it.

Blur - this was the only Blur I was originally aware of, so it was wild for me to hear their other songs a few years after.

Foos and Heart - both of these are huge favorites of mine. Love them both!

Other new to me highlights include - Ryan Adams, Phish, ELO, Spoon, S&G, Prodigy, Tragically Hip

Other known to me highlights - SRV, Kinks, Rush, Green Day, Chicago, Stevie Wonder, Bruce, Elton

"Song 2" by Blur is a fascinating song to me. I always write about this, so I hope the drafters pardon me, but this song sounds like Blur taking the piss out of heavy metal and grunge while simultaneously utterly rocking the house down with tongues planted firmly in cheek. The heavily-distorted, fuzzed-out bass speaks to a lark; the vocals speak to a lark; the recording level itself speaks to a lark; but the guitar riff is so potent that one can't help but turn it into a Jock Jam.

It's undeniably weird, and undeniable.

more ketchup ...

#9 Spirit

the above links to a vid of the single version, released from "The Sky's Gone Out" sessions - they needed to shoot the director, for as indicative of the pure early 80s medium it is, it is kinda un-goodt ... but a gooey artifact, nonetheless.

this lyric were direct homage to their stage theatrics, along with Peter overcoming his stutter and shyness to become a dynamic performer ... and, lastly, a change of heart from the earlier listed "Crowds" (which showed b1tchy/catty contempt for the yobs in attendance) ... "We. Love. Our. Audience."

of course the album cut i included in this countdown are a ton more bombastic and sweeping - but i wanted to give a nod to this iteration.

became a staple of their latter day reunion show Encores where everybody took center stage, even coaxing the ever elusive Kevin out from the kit - great tribute to the "Crowds" after all these years.

#8 Hollow Hills

link above are the album cut ... much like "Bela", i included the live version on my list because i find it remarkable that they were able to translate all of that studio atmosphere to the stage - that's all thanks to David & Danny, who arranged and contorted the constructs to translate so perfectly.

this are one of the purest Goth tunes you'll ever be exposed to ... "Bela" is the highest of macabre camp, whereas "Hills" is pure doom n' gloom ambience - that mood. vibe.

a scolding of those who would disturb ancient burial grounds ... of a cautionary stance, to boot -

"baleful sounds/and wild voices ignored/ill luck disaster/the one reward/violating sanctity of supermen's hills/so saaaad/love lies here still"

... the parting salvo:

lament! repent! O mortal you!

when i did get to spend 36 hours in Ireland, i made it an absolute urgent point to visit the Hill that was Tara - the seat that was so so sacred in Celtic lore - from coronations to burials ... was a magnetic chunkiness in the dusk air that early evening - as spiritual a plot of land as ever existed ... that were "Hollow Hills" - it's essence realized for roughly 30 minutes of transcendent awe.

"Song 2" by Blur is a fascinating song to me. I always write about this, so I hope the drafters pardon me, but this song sounds like Blur taking the piss out of heavy metal and grunge while simultaneously utterly rocking the house down with tongues planted firmly in cheek. The heavily-distorted, fuzzed-out bass speaks to a lark; the vocals speak to a lark; the recording level itself speaks to a lark; but the guitar riff is so potent that one can't help but turn it into a Jock Jam.

It's undeniably weird, and undeniable.
My thoughts about it as a middle aged schnook are certainly different than as a teenager, but I always enjoy it nonetheless. It really speaks to Damon's talent that he could create a song that pokes fun at the genre while at the same time creating a hit within it.

My thoughts about it as a middle aged schnook are certainly different than as a teenager, but I always enjoy it nonetheless

I remember sitting in a collegiate parking lot listening to this when it came out and thinking "Blur? That Blur? The one with the 'always someone there that you really love' Blur?"

I thought the song rocked and never thought that it was ironic until I paid a bit more attention later that year. But it still hasn't really been definitively stated for the record that they were taking the piss out of the genres. Perhaps that's a dog-bites-hand-that-feeds issue. No better way to piss of the public then to say, "Yeah, that song we wrote you love? It was ironic, tooljack. It was making fun of tastes like that!"

But much like a gift horse, success in writing a pop song shouldn't be stared at too deeply lest one get immersed in darkness or blinded by the light, so they've always hedged even after admitting that it might have been a sarcastic one-off aimed at the label that wanted a hit record.

#8 - The Stranglers - Always the Sun

Year - 1986 and 1990
Album - Dreamtime

my SLAM-DUNK numero uno from this lot ... there are one more coming up that are absolutely mind blowing, yes - but this one hit me in '86 like a sock fulla jack hammers.

FLOORED.

they did grimy/sleazy/filthy/decadent/sludgy c0ck rock so well at their peak that they made Jagger look like Morrissey in comparison.

but "AtS" is such complete maturation - the boys done growed up ... sure, there were snippets of their burgeoning transformation prior to this, but no band/artist from London Class of '77 ever made my jaw drop with something this shimmering and luscious - not even the ModFather can touch this.

these (once) foul moufed yobs just knocked this melody and vibe out the park - the synth hit after the "Always The Sun" lyric passage in the chorus (🎶 der ner ner nerr nerrrr 🎶) still sends the shiver.

bonus for this being the exact slice of the song that were playing during the most gorgeous 20 seconds of me life.

🖤

Sorry to always be saying sorry about falling behind. And now I'm headed to London and Amsterdam tomorrow for one last dudes' trip with the kid before he heads off to college next month. Pre-pandemic, he and I did a big trip every summer with my wife joining us part-way through after any hiking/mountains or ex-Soviet state portions were done and dusted. He's never been to London though so excited for that. Even managed to get tickets for Man City v Arsenal for the Community Shield at Wembley this Sunday.

Anyway, that's just another way of saying my listening will be compromised, but I have prepped a few THS writeups in advance. Before I forget, a few thoughts on the #8s focusing on acts I haven't mentioned much yet.

Kinks/Come Dancing - plenty of songs that I liked as a kid but can't stand now but this is one of the few in the other direction. I guess when I was 11, I just wanted new wave or hair metal and didn't appreciate the brilliance of it.

Stevie Wonder/Uptight - second or third the "how did I never know this was Stevie?" sentiment.

ELO/Mr Blue Sky - growing up without much classic rock influence, my exposure to ELO was minimal. I guess that probably still holds today, b/c I think the first time I heard Mr Blue Sky was in another MAD thread. Great song.

Alice in Chains/I Stay Away - the strings and harmonies are absolutely amazing here. The most lush AiC ever sounded.

#8 - The Stranglers - Always the Sun

Year - 1986 and 1990
Album - Dreamtime

my SLAM-DUNK numero uno from this lot ... there are one more coming up that are absolutely mind blowing, yes - but this one hit me in '86 like a sock fulla jack hammers.

FLOORED.

they did grimy/sleazy/filthy/decadent/sludgy c0ck rock so well at their peak that they made Jagger look like Morrissey in comparison.

but "AtS" is such complete maturation - the boys done growed up ... sure, there were snippets of their burgeoning transformation prior to this, but no band/artist from London Class of '77 ever made my jaw drop with something this shimmering and luscious - not even the ModFather can touch this.

these (once) foul moufed yobs just knocked this melody and vibe out the park - the synth hit after the "Always The Sun" lyric passage in the chorus (🎶 der ner ner nerr nerrrr 🎶) still sends the shiver.

bonus for this being the exact slice of the song that were playing during the most gorgeous 20 seconds of me life.

🖤
Wow. Great write up.
Music makes memories. Glad your 20 seconds is associated to this

There couldnt be a bigger contrast between this and the #7 ranked song coming up.
The #6 song is more like this one.

You can hear the band evolve through their albums. I agree that ATS is a special record and although Hugh and the rest were barely communicating, this was their final great song.
If this had become the massive hit everyone expected, i wonder if that woukd have changed the dynamic. Probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread