What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

Another brainstorm that I had this morning was to maybe help people get ideas or for a tie break, we could throw out our 3-5 artist "wishlist" that we would like to see done, but maybe you don't feel qualified to do so. For example, I would love to see Funkadelic/Parliament in here, but I would have no idea where I would begin and think it would be much better served in other hands.
I thought hard about doing P Funk. The problem is, a lot of their music isn't on Spotify (unless something's changed recently) so the playlist would suffer.
What if you just did George Clinton and get all his vehicles?
Same problem with Spotify, I think. That's actually what I was going to do, so I could loop in Bootsy and the rest.

Yeah, George signed some papers he shouldn't have and some of his key work -- especially most of Funkadelic's Warner Bros. material -- isn't on Spotify as a result.

Some favorites from 10.....

Spirits in the Material World
Rake's Song
Do It Again (love this lesser heralded album...I'm hoping one of my favorite, lesser heralded songs is in your top 9).
Television Rules the Nation
Oh My Sweet Carolina (I love most the RA songs but this is a particular favorite).
Sir Duke (I mentioned my mother's love of Stevie and this was one of her favorites too ♥️ )
Splendid Isolation
Here It Comes (like Ryan Adams, I love most Doves' songs but this one is top 5)
Dancing in the Dark (this album tour was the first and only concert ticket I slept outside overnight for---Capital Mall, Olympia, WA, 1984)
Bela Lugosi's Dead (centerpiece of my Halloween playlist and one of my favorite live songs at their show last year).

#10's

Patterns by Simon & Garfunkel. When they grab you they really do.
Everything Is New by Frank Black. More great material by this artist.
My Mathematical Mind by Spoon, how progressive is this?
Warm Mountain just continues to show how Big Thief push the envelope, without sounding intentional at all
Stacked Actors, I loved back then and still do. Monster leadoff to that record. What a crusher. Yet - a few exceptions aside - they started to become paint by numbers after this, for me.

Dancing In The Dark, besides the Santa song was the first Springsteen song I ever knew. A great listen. Weird to remember back in my childhood in the south, there was Rick Springfield and then there was Bruce Springsteen.
Nice 'N' Sleazy. Does it. Funking around, as usual, but it works, as usual. Talent shines.
Maze, sounds like I wish I was high and seeing it at a show. Phish!
Looking Out, more excellence here. Brandi Carlile could become a weapon in my pocket.
Tragically Hip has way more good stuff than I thought they could possibly have.
But deadmau5 could be my lowest expectation/highest reward at this point
And this live Daft Punk album keeps giving us the goods. Love it.
Starting to wonder if my favorite Green Day song will be here. I've been vexed at times but always intrigued.. like the Foos, the subjectivity can take us anywhere, and it's all super good.
More awesome Doves, what can I say at this point
Entangled - the development of Phil Collins as the semi-reluctant frontman. "Can I sing? I guess I can sing! Can I wear a fox dress? Probably not."
Mississippi Delta City Blues, those horns, what made Chicago really pop
Crossfire, killer SRV, standout track
Profits of Doom - I've taken all of the Clutch in stride, but this one strikes me as an almost perfect bridge between old Clutch and new.
Here We Go Again, well the Ray always rules but hi Norah Jones!
Kveikur - intense and captivating

Internet's back, so let me drop this and get to listening. Some of my favorites make an appearance this round, so I'm looking forward to it!
--
9. I Stay Away (off Jar of Flies, 1994)

Why you act crazy
Not an act maybe
So close a lady
Shifty eyes shady

(Official Video) Alice In Chains - I Stay Away

Just one link this time, since “I Stay Away” has (to the best of my knowledge) only been played twice live, and both when AIC was… between lead singers. Definitely a shame, but certainly you understand them not bringing along a string quartet on tour for one song, and it's easy to recognize that the song wouldn't be the same without that.

And yes, this is the video with the puppets in my pfp mentioned… months ago now. A weird take on a video for that choice, and a rare one that doesn’t really focus on the band. Instead spinning a tale about a circus where a jar of flies (roll credits!) causes havoc and death.

Next on the countdown, I’ll have the veal.

9's

All Too Well (I really haven't listened to T Swift much before this countdown and I'm really liking many of her songs)
London Lady
Dirty Old Town (I am a huge Pixies fan. I haven't been commenting often on the Black Francis songs but they're all good to great)
Start Choppin' (big Dino Jr. fan as well. Like most the songs listed and I'm hoping a few more of my favorites appear in your top 8).
Mohammed's Radio
Your Little Hoodrat Friend (top 3 THS song for me)
Kathy's Song (♥️ )
Message From Nowhere (By no means an expert, but I enjoy a lot of similar artists....Enjoying all of his songs.

#9 - Too Long - Daft Punk

I like this one, obviously. I like the smoothness of the vocals (provided by Romanthony) and the sample that it builds off of. It has a post-rock element to it where if you make it through the original sample and Romanthony's vocals for the first four and a half minutes, you're rewarded with quite the house music and some cut and paste work in the sampling.

That is all.

I also love the name Romanthony.

RIP.

Oh, and I should have said, that Todd entry on the list was :wub: :wub: :wub:

I also want to call out the SRV one and mention to @Sullie how glad I am he chose this artist, who is someone I didn't know a lot of and, while it's not all my cup of tea (nothing is), he's been a breath of fresh air as having a different sound than a lot of the other artists, and I always look forward to hearing his song.

Is there supposed to be 2 Greenday songs on this playlist?
Yes - it was mentioned they always get played back to back like “Feeling That Way/Anytime” by Journey and other examples.
Huh, don't think I've ever heard the second song before

+1 on knowing "Brain Stew" well enough to "sing" along but not recognizing "Jaded."

Speaking of recognizing, ohhhhhh, I know this Chicago song! And then oddly enough, did not know the Elliott Smith song. I think. Anyway, great selections, both of 'em.

But anyway, the Brain Stew riff is iconic. It was the first one every teenager growing up in the 90's played when they grabbed a guitar. I always joked that this must've been what it was like for our parents with Smoke On The Water. I linked to the music video because it depicts both songs so well - from the sludgy, heavy Brain Stew about drug induced insomnia to the frantic, loud, thrash of Jaded. Ying and yang if you will. I've talked about the speed, pun unintended, of this whole album before and while Jaded really isn't different in that regard I think it hits differently following Brain Stew.

Apropos to this thread, the opening chords of "Brain Stew" always remind me of "25 or 6 to 4"

The Hold Steady “Realistic” Dream Setlist Song 23: Your Little Hoodrat Friend

The Story:
I always think of this as THS”s most popular song (probably b/c it is among oldheads) but it’s actually fourth according to Spotify. In fact, up until last year, their most listened to track was The Bear and the Maiden Fair from Game of Thrones, which is kind-of terrible but has at least been passed by Stuck Between Stations and Sequestered in Memphis.

AFAIK, going into this it's the only song of theirs I could name when hearing it, though I am an oldhead so that fits. Love it.

Damon Albarn song #9

Gorillaz - "El Mañana" from Demon Days (2005)

I may have overdone it on wistful mid-tempo songs but I think that's Damon's sweet spot. I love this one with its sputtering beat, minimalist keyboards and gorgeous strings.

Supposedly the music video was banned in the US because the falling island would remind audiences of 9/11. Gorillaz were committed enough to the cartoon band bit that they put out a statement that the video was staged and band member Noodles was still alive.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/0dcMqjeDpwqB2xhzMsld0p

Live at Glastonbury 2010

Yes - it was mentioned they always get played back to back like “Feeling That Way/Anytime” by Journey and other examples.

+1 on knowing "Brain Stew" well enough to "sing" along but not recognizing "Jaded."

Speaking of recognizing, ohhhhhh, I know this Chicago song! And then oddly enough, did not know the Elliott Smith song. I think. Anyway, great selections, both of 'em.
You may well know most of the rest of the Chicago songs as most of them were major hits. One is a cover and I’m pretty sure you know the original (and maybe their version as well).

You may well know most of the rest of the Chicago songs as most of them were major hits. One is a cover and I’m pretty sure you know the original (and maybe their version as well).

Seems a good chance I'll know them, but maybe (like this one) not by title. Excited for them!

Think I hearted more from the #9s by far than any other playlist. I'm a bit tipsy so can't remember all the stuff I was thinking. Also OH is playing solo Syd Barrett now, which is distracting.

Among those I didn't previously comment upon:

I didn't know which artist was playing when "Too Long" by Daft Punk was going. Love the variety of sounds they are giving us. This was a favorite.

"London Lady" by The Stranglers is what I think they should/would sound like. I mean that as a positive.

I liked "HIgh and Dry" by Slade even if the riff was a direct rip-off of "All Day and All of the Night."

I don't know why I didn't save "Mr. Blue Sky" as a favorite during the M-AD British Isles countdown, but I agree with the consensus on this one.

Do I know "Start Choppin'" by Dinosaur Jr already? Sounded familiar. Great song, dumb title. Same with "I Stay Away" by AiC, except the title's fine.

It's weird how many great Queen songs I didn't already know, including "I Want to Break Free."

Two winners in a row from Foo Fighters. These guys might have a future.

There was something I wanted to say about that Gorillaz song (which was a new fave), as well as a bunch of others, but see aforementioned "tipsy" declaration.

Despite my posting about Elton a bunch, I really am not a connoisseur of his works as much as one might think. I know the hits and everything on that Live in Australia album, mostly. So "My Father's Gun" seemed new to me, and outstanding.

#8's PLAYLIST
#8-
Todd RundgrenNew Binky the DoormatLove Of The Common Man
Jorge Ben JorDon QuixoteMenina Mulher da Pele Preta

Brandi CarlileJB Breakfast ClubEvery Time I Hear That Song - By the Way, I Forgive You
https://open.spotify.com/track/0hoRmVUp5cZ1empu0nSHU8
The PoliceZegras11Every Breath You Take
Modest MouseThe Dreaded MarcoBroke
GenesisYo MamaDuchess
Stevie Ray VaughanSullieVoodoo Child (Slight Return)
The Decemberistskupcho1Apology Song
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of DeadplinkoA Perfect Teenhood
Madonna (1999)
The KinksGalileoSunny Afternoon (1966 - Face to Face)
RushhigginsNew World Man
Sigur RósScoresmanStarálfur (Staring Elf) - Ágætis byrjun - 1999
Donald FagenCharlie SteinerAny World (That I'm Welcome To)
Green DayMAC_32Holiday
Big ThiefIlov80sLittle Things
Daft Punk rockactionHuman After All/Together/One More Time/Music Sounds Better With You
Taylor SwiftJpalmerMaroon
Elliott SmithTuffnuttAngel in the Snow

ChicagoPip's InvitationFeelin' Stronger Every Day
The StranglersJohn Maddens LunchboxAlways the Sun
Ryan AdamsDr. OctopusWish You Were Here
Stevie WonderUruk-HaiLove's In Need Of Of Love Today
SladeMrs. RannousSlam The Hammer Down
PhishshukePossum
Electgric Light Orchestra (ELO)jwbWaterfall
Frank BlackMister CIACorrina
Clutch Raging Weasel The Devil & Me
Dinosaur Jr. KarmaPolice Get Out of This
Warren ZevonworrierkingMutineer
When WZ was dying of Cancer, Bob Dylan began performing a few Zevon covers in concert, prompting the terminal Zevon to say "It's almost worth it." This was one of them.
Alice in ChainsMt. ManMan in the Box
QueensnellmanBohemian Rhapsody
AC/DCfalguyWho Made Who
The Hold SteadscorchyGirls Like Status
Damon AlbarnEephusBlur --- Song 2
Ray Charlessimey
Doveslandrys hatThe Man Who Told Everything
SpoonHov34Got Nuffin

Foo FightersJust Win BabyAll My Life
Simon & Garfunkelzamboni"April Come She Will"
Bruce SpringsteenDrIanMalcolmShe's the One
The Prodigytitusbramble3 Kilos
Bauhausotb_liferHollow Hills (live)
HeartDoug BHeartless
The Tragically HipNorthern VoiceNautical Disaster
deadmau5zazaleErrors In My Bread
Elton JohntimschochetTiny Dancer

#8 - The Stranglers - Always the Sun

Year - 1986 and 1990
Album - Dreamtime
UK Chart position - #30 in 1986 and #29 in 1991
Vocals - Hugh Cornwell
Key Lyric - You know its not unlike the politicians and the leaders
When they do things by half
Who gets the job of pushing the knob?
That's what responsibility you draw straws for
If you're mad enough
There's always the sun, mm (always the sun)

Interesting Points

1- A totally different vibe to the punk of nearly 10 years ago. The Stranglers had matured their sound. The albums still had harder moments. On this album it was “Was it You” with the JJB vocal which was my 34th ranked song.

2- When this song was handed to the record company there was excitement all round. It had hit written all over it and would lead the album. Radio airplay was strong, but the record company all but admitted they messed up here. The final chart position of #30 was incredibly disappointing.

3- It was one of their highest charting songs internationally and their only one to attract significant US airplay. Again the record company mismanaged the release and stopped it from breaking through

4- Such was the contrition by the record company that after Cornwell left, a greatest hits compilation was put out and a slightly reworked version of this song was chosen as the single. It reached #29.

5- This was the last “great” Stranglers song in their canon. The next 2 albums, a live one and a **** one, were dominated by the cover song on both

Summary to date
Year

1977 - 10
1978 - 5
1979 - 2
1980 - 0
1981 - 1
1982 - 1
1983 - 0
1984 - 2
1985 - 0
1986 - 1
1987 - 0
1988 - 2
1989 - 0
1990 onwards - 2

Where to find
Rattus Norvegicus - 7/9
No More Heroes - 2/11
Black and White - 2/12
The Raven - 2/11
The Gospel According to the Meninblack - 0/10
La Folie - 1/11
Feline - 0/9
Aural Sculpture - 2/11
Dreamtime - 1/10
All Live and All of the Night - 2/13
10 - 1/10
1991 onwards - 0
B Sides - 1
Greatest Hits - 2
Standalone Single - 3

Running Vocal Count
Hugh Cornwell - 15
Jean-Jacques Burnel - 9
Other - 0

Rundown
#31 - Walk on By
#30 - Ugly
#29 - All Day and All of the Night
#28 - Meninblack
#27 - Goodbye Toulouse
#26 - Princess of the Streets
#25 - Sweden (All Quiet on the Eastern Front)
#24 - Duchess
#23 - Sometimes
#22 - La Folie
#21 - North Winds
#20 - No Mercy
#19 - 5 Minutes
#18 - Strange Little Girl
#17 - Shut Up
#16 - Bitching
#15 - Bring on the Nubiles
#14 - 96 Tears
#13 - Down in the Sewer
#12 - Hanging Around
#11 - Straighten Out
#10 - Nice ‘N’ Sleazy
#9 - London Lady
#8 - Always the Sun

Next we have the last song we see with a JJB lead vocal. Anthemic and totally reflective of the times

Last edited:
#8 - "Love's In Need Of Love Today"

As far as I know, Stevie Wonder never recorded any gospel. But this record is a hymn as much as anything you'll hear on Sunday mornings. It's in his (sizeable) stable of "let's make the world better" songs. There's a lovely choir thing going on, as well as a neat acoustic guitar line. The rest is his voice. This song is 7 minutes long, but feels like only 3 to me. Of all of his (or anyone's) songs, it's probably the one I've listened to the most over the last 10-12 years when I'm in need of comfort.

Stevie writes some of the weirdest vocal melodies (& then doesn't stick to them :lol: ), which is why I'm convinced he doesn't get covered very often. When other singers try to sing these songs, they try to sing them "straight" and they've already lost. I think RHCP knew this when they covered "Higher Ground" - they went straight for the groove (not a bad place to be), but their version lost all meaning because they didn't have the vocal - it became just a funky vamp.

Song: Wish You Were Here
Artist: Ryan Adams
Album: Rock n Roll
Released: 2003

This is not a cover of a Pink Floyd song. Instead we return to Adam’s indie rock album where it was more Paul Westerberg than Willie Nelson.

This is one of his hardest rocking and nastiest song.

And everybody knows the way I walk
And knows the way I talk
And knows the way I feel about you
It's all a bunch of ****
And there's nothing to do around here
It's totally ****ed up
I'm totally ****ed up
Wish you were here

8. Feelin' Stronger Every Day
Album: Chicago VI (1973)
Writers: Peter Cetera and James Pankow
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? Yes (US #10)

The first half of this song is a pleasant Hohner pianet-driven midtempo tune with fine horn shadings, a logical extension of the "summertime" radio-friendly sound Chicago had established a year earlier with Saturday in the Park. And then all hell breaks loose. The tempo gets faster and the band really soars by 2:45, and once the title line starts being sung repeatedly, you feel like you are riding a wave of sound that you never want to get off of. The second half is so triumphant-sounding that the song became one of three that were commonly used as a set closer or encore from 1973 on (the other two are still to come on this list), though it was not played at my 1995 show. All of this without a guitar solo (in the studio version) or dominant guitar riff.
The song, written by Peter Cetera and James Pankow, is about Cetera getting over his divorce. Cetera said in the Group Portrait box set liner notes: "I can remember the exact beginnings of that one... We were at the Akron Rubber Bowl in Akron, Ohio, an outdoor gig that was delayed a bit because of rain, and so, we got there our normal hour and a half before the gig, and we're sitting around, and we were told we're gonna hold for at least an hour, and I heard Jimmy [Pankow] in the other room playing the actual beginning of that song... and I said, 'What is that?' and he went, 'Oh, I don't know, I'm just messing around.'... I went and got my bass, and we sat there and played around with it, and a few weeks later, after we got off the road, I went to his house, and we wrote 'Feelin' Stronger Every Day'."
Live version from 1973 (which does have a guitar solo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fzp-VV-Irk
Live in the studio from the Chicago in the Rockies ABC special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmtB1XnMYY
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYV4H9rU6o

At #7, a song that exemplifies Chicago's radio-friendly '70s sound, but took a while to become a hit.

The first half of this song is a pleasant Hohner pianet-driven midtempo tune with fine horn shadings, a logical extension of the "summertime" radio-friendly sound Chicago had established a year earlier with Saturday in the Park. And then all hell breaks loose. The tempo gets faster and the band really soars by 2:45, and once the title line starts being sung repeatedly, you feel like you are riding a wave of sound that you never want to get off of. The second half is so triumphant-sounding that the song became one of three that were commonly used as a set closer or encore from 1973 on (the other two are still to come on this list), though it was not played at my 1995 show. All of this without a guitar solo (in the studio version) or dominant guitar riff.
The song, written by Peter Cetera and James Pankow, is about Cetera getting over his divorce. Cetera said in the Group Portrait box set liner notes: "I can remember the exact beginnings of that one... We were at the Akron Rubber Bowl in Akron, Ohio, an outdoor gig that was delayed a bit because of rain, and so, we got there our normal hour and a half before the gig, and we're sitting around, and we were told we're gonna hold for at least an hour, and I heard Jimmy [Pankow] in the other room playing the actual beginning of that song... and I said, 'What is that?' and he went, 'Oh, I don't know, I'm just messing around.'... I went and got my bass, and we sat there and played around with it, and a few weeks later, after we got off the road, I went to his house, and we wrote 'Feelin' Stronger Every Day'."
Live version from 1973 (which does have a guitar solo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fzp-VV-Irk
Live in the studio from the Chicago in the Rockies ABC special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmtB1XnMYY

At #7, a song that exemplifies Chicago's radio-friendly '70s sound, but took a while to become a hit.
If Chicago had done a song with Stevie Wonder, it would be this one. The 2nd half just goes nuts, but never loses its line.

one of the first radio tunes i remember really  hitting me when i were a kid ("Spinning Wheel" "I Am, I Said" "Up Around The Bend" in that mix, too)

i loved the pace transition in this ... (yahhhhyahhhhyahhh!)

can't wax any more eloquently than the quoted post, so i'll just add that it's a straight powerhouse - tuff and legit.

The Decemberists
#8 Apology Song

We're taking a big step down in terms of how important the precipitating incident driving the song is. Whereas Valerie Plame's derived from an international incident (i.e., the unmasking of a covert CIA agent), here we're very concerned about the whereabouts of a bicycle.

Apparently Colin was tasked with watching Steven's bike, Madeleine. But he left it unlocked outside the Orange Street Food Farm (real place in Missoula, MT) and some hesher made off with it. While the stakes are much, much lower here, I think the apology is very heartfelt.

I'm really sorry, Steven
But your bicycle's been stolen
I was watching it for you 'til you came back in the fall
Guess I didn't do a good job after all

Full lyrics here.

Still a bit behind, but let me try to get through the 9s without mentioning half the songs (or more?). Selected favorites with tough cuts, then:

*Right on Time - Brandi Carlile.
*Uptight (Everything’s Alright) - Stevie Wonder. A song I know well, but don’t always think of being Stevie’s for whatever reason.
*El Manana - Gorillaz (/Damian Alborn)
*Bankrupt on Selling - Modest Mouse
*38 Years Old - The Tragically Hip.
*New Frontier - Donald Fagen. This sounded vaguely (but far from completely) familiar. A distant memory?
*Valerie Plame - The Decemberists.
*Zumbi - Jorge Ben Jor
*Call On Me - Chicago
*Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughn. My favorite of his, so happy to see it this high!
*My Love For You is Real - Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
*Brain Stew/Jaded - Green Day. I’ve heard just Brain Stew solo on the radio, but yeah, more often together.
*Open Doors - Trail of Dead
*Come Dancing - The Kinks. I’ll always have a huge soft spot for this. Enough to include it on the M-AD countdown, even.
*Another Round - Foo Fighters

Side note: Shuffle per usual, and “Who Will You Run To?” was the first track. Serendipity!

8. Any World (That I'm Welcome To) is the second song from the album Katy Lied to appear on my list.

Just like The Beatles a decade earlier, Fagan and Becker decided to give up touring and shift their focus to only studio work. This signaled the departure of all the founding members of the band save guitarist Denny Dias (the actual founder of the band; Fagan and Becker had responded to an ad he put looking to form a band). It also marked the debut of guitarist Larry Carlton, who would later serve as a kind of bridge between Fagan/Becker and the army of session musicians they would hire for specific sounds. Also retained from the last touring lineup were future Toto drummer Jeff Porcaro and future Doobie Brother Michael McDonald.

As for the song itself, it just kind of hit me while I was doing the writeup that it's probably a variation on the theme of his youth that he explored on his first solo album; the time frame for The Nightfly closely matches when his family moved--a point of frustration for him. This song and then The Nightfly were probably ways he dealt with that childhood trauma.

I fell in love with this song during my aforementioned white-collar phase in '94, coincidentally around the time I resigned from that job; maybe it was the convincer.

If I had my way
I would move to another lifetime
I'd quit my job
Ride the train through the misty nighttime
I'll be ready when my feet touch ground
Wherever I come down
And if the folks will have me
Then they'll have me

Any world that I'm welcome to
Is better than the one I come from

I can hear your words
When you speak of what you are and have seen
I can see your hand
Reaching out through a shining daydream
Where the days and nights are not the same
Captured happy in a picture frame
Honey I will be there
Yes I'll be there

I got this thing inside me
That's got to find a place to hide me
I only know I must obey
This feeling I can't explain away

I think I'll go to the park
Watch the children playing
Perhaps I'll find in my head
What my heart is saying
A vision of a child returning
A kingdom where the sky is burning
Honey I will be there
Yes I'll be there

"Keep Me In Your Heart" has a special meaning to me, I didn't mention it before but when my favorite uncle, Bill, died of lymphoma in 2009 and we (the whole bereaved family - my grandma, my dad, aunt and other uncles and a few of us 'youngsters') were sitting around my aunt's dining room table planning the memorial for him, it was left to me the music geek to come up with a song for his memorial slideshow video. I had a few selections for everyone's review, I can't remember what any of the others were but when "Keep Me In Your Heart" came on it just crushed everybody and was the obvious choice. I only knew it at all because I had caught that VH1 special that I posted earlier.

Bill was an awesome dude, slightly shiftless and more or less proud of it, absolutely hilarious and loving person. Great cartoonist, great guitar player, but he never got the breaks he was hoping for, particularly with his giant stack of cartoons, many of which I had scanned and put on the internet for him in the late 90's, but I didn't know what I was doing as far as getting people to actually see them, in those days.

Since then I've watched a good friend as well as my Dad die of cancer in similar fashions. I'm just about numb to it. But I only bring this up because one of our coworkers is knocking on heaven's door as we speak, he was just flown back home to Texas so that he can fade out with his family. I didn't really know the guy but outside of our big boss, Bob, it probably hit me the hardest, and that's one of the things that bothers me about the whole deal. My team is full of heartless jerks! But they're mostly likable enough on the level you need them to be at work, which is fine.

A quick aside, I'm the only contractor left on a team of ten, End User support and Infrastructure Operations at the Baltimore VA hospital and I am busting my hump to try and get hired on permanently. To be honest, I have been around to about a dozen other VAMCs, including extensively at the San Francisco VA where I technically started out, and this is the best IT shop I have seen in my travels. The shop in downtown Chicago where I just spent two weeks... is an ABSOLUTE. CLOWN. SHOW. Which is too bad, but fairly typical.

This is too long already and I haven't even gotten to the point(s)

I came back to Bmore early this year, from San Francisco, and the top of our organization looks like this --- Bob, our area manager who runs the group and is just absolutely awesome, part of what makes it a good place to work. Gerard is the "director of operations" and technically everyone's boss, and then there's Ryan who I worked with and for before, during my first stint here at the hospital (in the thick of COVID), is effectively the director of operations and is also my work bro, and he and Bob have been bending over backwards to get me this job. In GS terms, Bob is a 14, Gerard is a 13 and Ryan is a 12. I'm looking at coming on as an 11 but for now still a lowly contractor.

The story of Gerard is this, he was working at the VA in Dallas and got promoted into the GS13 spot here in Baltimore, back in the fall before I got back here. Apparently he made the decision - Mistake #1 - to move himself, by himself, from there to here and he badly injured his leg during that move. He ended up getting surgery at the VA here, and wouldn't you know it - is it Stir Crazy where they are at the VA hospital? - he got a blood infection. So his entire time here, he's been trying to be the boss and run things from home, while also trying to heal, and in and out of treatment for this infection. Mistake #2.

I met him very briefly when he came in to pick up a new iPhone a few months ago. He was in a wheelchair, a wisp of a man, clearly not with it and looked like hammered ****. He had no idea who I was even though I'd been there for 2-3 months at that point, and on many of his calls.

The team hates him because he tries to run stuff but can't handle it. My whole thing has been .. WHY IS THIS GUY TRYING TO WORK, AND NOT CONVALESCING?? In a federal job like this, you're not gonna get fired, or even demoted, I don't know but he was trying to prove himself and did a lot of snapping at people over MS Teams, and screwing up a lot of trouble ticket assignments. In my eyes, it was just sad, nobody really showed any empathy/sympathy at all, just trashed the guy constantly.

So now, he went back into the hospital as a patient a couple of weeks ago and officially as of this week they have thrown up their hands and sent him home to die with his family.

Bob tried to get a group of team members to go up to the ICU and visit him but most people skipped it, and the vibe was basically f that guy. I didn't go because in my mind I said, if I was him I wouldn't want me, some total stranger coming in and gawking at me, but I think that was a mistake and I should have gone. Because Bob was let down. Whatever, really. I talked to Bob about it yesterday and he understood, but I felt a little like a dumb kid.

To complicate matters this week - there are two people who are in charge of managing and imaging laptops and PCs, and they mostly fart around all day and work very slow. I came back in from Chicago on Monday and Ryan told me he wanted me to go in and do what they've been doing, since one of them is on vacation and they had 0 usable new systems ready to deploy at that point. I went in and absolutely crushed it, filling our shelves and making it clear that they are scrubs and I am a badass. So now I have to add these two to the handful of people on the team who are mad at me for doing their jobs better than they do. What can I say... I am auditioning here. AND I DON'T GOOF OFF AT WORK ANYMORE. That was the old me and the old me ended up in the gutter. Footballguys hi.

So that's my vent on the week, I hope it makes sense. Thoughts and prayers for poor Gerard are appreciated. None of us got a chance to know the guy, sadly we only experienced him at his worst, but I'm keeping him in my heart for a while.
I hope you get hired on permanently, JuddZilla. 🤞 Keep being a badass. I wish Gerard a peaceful departure surrounded by his loved ones.

#8 Sunny Afternoon (1966 - Face to Face)

This is an example of the Kinks exploring more of a music hall style after their popular introductory rock driven early hits. Soft and sweet sounding like a pleasant sunny afternoon! But the song itself is rather bleak, since a sunny afternoon is just about all someone’s got left after the government takes its cut. This song came out near the time of the Beatles’ Taxman. Tax rates in England were in the neighborhood of 90%. This song simultaneously laments the state of affairs in England while mocking the spoiled rich kid who's complaining about his situation.

The tax man's taken all my dough
And left me in my stately home
Lazin' on a sunny afternoon
And I can't sail my yacht
He's taken everything I got
All I've got's this sunny afternoon

Save me, save me, save me from this squeeze
I got a big fat mama tryna break me
And I love to live so pleasantly
Live this life of luxury

In the summertime
In the summertime
In the summertime

My girlfriend's run off with my car
And gone back to her ma and pa
Tellin' tales of drunkenness and cruelty
Now I'm sittin' here
Sippin' at my ice cold beer

Help me, help me, help me sail away
Well, give me two good reasons why I oughta stay
'Cause I love to live so pleasantly
Live this life of luxury

In the summertime
In the summertime
In the summertime

Oh, save me, save me, save me from this squeeze
I got a big fat mama tryna break me
And I love to live so pleasantly
Live this life of luxury

In the summertime
In the summertime
In the summertime
In the summertime
In the summertime

Wow Bohemian Rhapsody at 8.. So many other great songs lower than expected
Should Bohemian Rhapsody be ranked higher? Probably, but when you have soooo many great songs, it is extremely hard to get a top 10 sorted out. I think the biggest thing that pushes it down for me is that it gets over played. It is still one of my favorites, but when you have so many great songs that don't get played, you almost get a slight burnout.

QueensnellmanBohemian Rhapsody
AC/DCfalguyWho Made Who
We may experience some serious whiplash after head banging to these two songs in a row.
Who made who was one of the first cassettes that I bought. My first car was a 1970 VW Beetle that I put an alpine deck and Pioneer 6x9s in. I had the speakers in custom boxes that I made so I could have them in the car. That cassette spent many hours in the deck rocking out while cruising the loop. :headbang:

#9 - Ray Charles - Hallelujah I love Her So

Ray wrote this song back in 1956, and it was first released as a single, and then put on his 1957 debut album. It's a happy, feel good song. It's pure joy, and you can hear those gospel roots.

#10 - Ray Charles -Just For A Thrill

This song was recorded and released in 1959 on the album The Genius of Ray Charles. This album leans towards jazz and blues (and there is always soul with Ray), and it is the one where I mentioned earlier in the countdown that side A is big band songs (arranged by Quincy Jones), and side B is string ballads (arranged by Ralph Burns). This is the first song on side B. There are strings and things present, but the main attraction is Ray's voice and piano playing. I think those two things carry the emotions of the tune.

Foo FightersJust Win BabyAll My Life

All My Life is the first song I chose from One By One, the Foos' 4th studio album, which I described in this earlier post. The song peaked at #1 on the Billboard US Alternative Rock chart and #3 on the US Mainstream Rock chart. It won the Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance.

Here is the official video.

Dave has said this about the song:

It's one of the most aggressive songs we've ever written - it's kinda dark and dissonant but really in your face. It begins with a vocal and a guitar then it explodes and gets even bigger and just keeps on going and going. It's ****ing great.

That song is a little dirty. Use your imagination!

In 2020, Kerrang ranked the top 20 all-time Foo Fighters songs and ranked All My Life #2. This is their writeup:

Although the Nirvana-related heat had been there since their inception, and the three preceding albums (each of which picked up K!’s respective album of the year award) were all-time greats, it was One By One which properly rocket-boosted the Foos’ final ascent to megastardom. ’90s grunginess was left behind, replaced by a heavy, polished hard rock that would soon catapult them to festival headlines and into stadia. ‘Closer to the prize at the end of the rope,’ as Dave reckons on the album’s throbbing lead single. There’s a breathless frustration that burns through All My Life’s verses and over that scratched riff that isn’t quite resolved by the anthemic chorus. With retrospect, that disconnect feels intentional, as the band grapple with that frustrating period before they properly bubbled over into the mainstream: ‘When it comes around / When it’s taken away.’ It feels all the sweeter when screamed back at the stage nowadays: an acknowledgement of the hard graft in getting to the top and a gunpowder celebration now that they’re there.

In 2023, Consequence of Sound ranked what they characterized as all 156 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking All My Life #13. Here is their writeup:

If we’re truly splitting hairs, Foo Fighters became an arena rock band the minute they finished recording “My Hero,” a song that ostensibly became the unspoken anthem for American football following its use in 1998’s Varsity Blues. But when the band returned in 2002 with “All My Life,” it was as if Grohl was the one doing all the tackling. At the time of its release, the juggernaut single for One by One felt like a rush of adrenaline, a boisterous side swipe to the crunchy excess of nu-metal and an unstoppable hurricane that destroyed all the garages housing The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Vines, et al.

As Grohl explains, “It’s one of the most aggressive songs we’ve ever written — it’s kinda dark and dissonant but really in your face.” Seriously, this is the type of mainstream rock single that has gone on to define FM radio for the aughts, and very few outfits have come close to replicating its power. The only one that comes to mind? Foo Fighters.

Around 2019 (2014 article was updated "4 years ago"), Spin ranked what they characterized as all 152 Foo Fighters songs up to that point, ranking All My Life #37. Here is an excerpt from their writeup:

From his hardcore roots to his Probot vanity project and his occasional side-gig in Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl longs to be a metal god just as surely as Jack Black or Brian Posehn. He never will be. But “All My Life,” the first single from the Foos’ heaviest album, comes closest to what his vision of screaming dissonance might be, with that white-noise riff that Josh Homme would kill for, and the whispered lockstep of the verses...

Users who are viewing this thread