What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Pence And Others Wearing Masks - Plea To My Pro Mask Friends (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But as more information about the virus was learned they changed their stance.
Sorry, but this just kills me.  We learned so much in three months how viruses spread from person to person?  Give me a break.  Viruses have been around forever and SARS since 2002.  They told us not to wear masks because there was a shortage for hospital workers excuse makes 1000x more sense than this hogwash.  

Sorry, but this just kills me.  We learned so much in three months how viruses spread from person to person?  Give me a break.  Viruses have been around forever and SARS since 2002.  They told us not to wear masks because there was a shortage for hospital workers excuse makes 1000x more sense than this hogwash.  
You should wear one.

It's not an either or.  It's more of a when.  No sane person will argue masks don't work or can't help.  But, as soon as you put it out there that you have to be wearing a mask anytime you leave your house like our governor did put me on team #nomask.

True.

Sorry if honda.

Mike Pence urges people to wear masks:  

A message for my pro-mask friends. I've worn a mask around other people in public since the start. My hope is we can be cool about wearing masks as opinions start to change on this.

My guess is we can't. We seem unable to be cool about anything where we disagree. My guess is it'll be the folks who've been pro-mask mocking the anti-mask folks as idiots who held out so long. Which will only make them hold out longer.

I hope I'm wrong.

It's a human nature thing where we feel compelled to rub the other person's face in it. And it's counterproductive to the big picture.
The absolute loudest anti-mask person who I am FB friends with is a guy who has for the last month or two posted frequent rants about the idiots who wear masks and social distance, and about how we’re all sheeple and that a mask requirement is an infringement on his liberty. I found out through a mutual contact that both his wife and daughter tested positive last week and have actually suffered some not so fun symptoms. I didn’t say anything, as there was really no upside to doing so other than to embrace the ugliness you reference.

He hasn’t said anything publicly about his family’s positive test results, but he has continued posting anti-mask memes on FB for what it’s worth  :smh:

Politicizing covid-19 is one of the dumber things we've done recently.
Right - I really wonder if Trump came out "for" mask if things would be different, seems all the pushback I see is from Trump supporting friends on Facebook.  I don't enjoy wearing a mask, don't like it when I have to wear them at work (thankfully they changed the policy from all the time to just when within 6' communicating with a coworker) but I don't sit and cry about it.

When you're out in public, particularly indoors. All the cool people are doing it.
If you are sick stay at home.  If you have allergies wear a mask.  If you have to work within 6 feet of people wear a mask.  If you have to board an airplane or the subway break out your stash of N95s.  It's not rocket science and it doesn't have to be trendy.  Most of the time when I'm outside of my house I don't need to wear a mask.

To me the everyone needs to wear a mask in public is just the response we use when we've given up on social distancing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are sick stay at home.  If you have allergies wear a mask.  If you have to work within 6 feet of people wear a mask.  If you have to board an airplane or the subway break out your stash of N95s.  It's not rocket science and it doesn't have to be trendy.  Most of the time when I'm outside of my house I don't need to wear a mask.
I can back this

The absolute loudest anti-mask person who I am FB friends with is a guy who has for the last month or two posted frequent rants about the idiots who wear masks and social distance, and about how we’re all sheeple and that a mask requirement is an infringement on his liberty. I found out through a mutual contact that both his wife and daughter tested positive last week and have actually suffered some not so fun symptoms. I didn’t say anything, as there was really no upside to doing so other than to embrace the ugliness you reference.

He hasn’t said anything publicly about his family’s positive test results, but he has continued posting anti-mask memes on FB for what it’s worth  :smh:
According to Dr. Gottlieb there's now a stigma among some who get  the Coronavirus.  He said it was perhaps it made them appear weak.  I say it's because they can't admit they were wrong even if it means transmitting it to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right - I really wonder if Trump came out "for" mask if things would be different, seems all the pushback I see is from Trump supporting friends on Facebook.  I don't enjoy wearing a mask, don't like it when I have to wear them at work (thankfully they changed the policy from all the time to just when within 6' communicating with a coworker) but I don't sit and cry about it.
It would make ALL the difference.

And if you're asymptomatic?

He could have made and given away MAGA facemasks by the truckload. We'd be better off as a country fighting the virus and his polls would be much stronger. Instead he continues to fumble this leadership opportunity....and Americans are suffering for it.
I mentioned somewhere, but I think this could have gone a different way if Trump had picked a different conspiracy theory. If thinks this is the just Dems trying to bring him down, it would have been great if he thought they were trying to kill his voters. It seems to affect older folks more , and now we see, older folks in swing states.

Had he told his supporters that CV was a Dem assault on his older voters, and we must do everything we can to stop it, things might have gone differently. 

Instead, he chose to poopoo something that might've protected both his voters and the economy. 

Sorry but if you have anxiety or asthma that affects you wearing a mask, either work out some sort of exception or don’t show up in public. It would certainly be nice if we could make this sort of thing voluntary but obviously we can’t- unless it is the law people just won’t take it seriously. 

I already addressed your second point and I stand by what I wrote. 
The party of acceptance and understanding as long as it fits your views.   Same as always.   Why don't you stay home if someone not wearing a mask bothers you?  

Sorry for bumping a closed topic, but this is a good thread:

https://twitter.com/JuliaLMarcus/status/1284203364818079744

Since writing this piece for @TheAtlantic, I've been contacted by a whole lot of dudes who won't wear masks. I've had some good conversations with them. Here are a few things I've learned. 1/

These men were universally grateful to read something about anti-maskers that didn't shame or demonize them. It made them want to hear what else I had to say about why it might be worth wearing a mask. Compassionate public health messaging builds trust. 2/

They felt like mask mandates were an infringement on their liberties. Instead of dismissing that concern, it helped to acknowledge it and talk about other people's freedoms too, especially people who don't have the choice to move away from them. 3/

They were skeptical about the effectiveness of masks, not least because officials initially recommended against them. The messaging on masks has indeed been confusing, and it helped to admit that rather than attribute the change in messaging entirely to the evolving science. 4/

They said they felt ridiculous wearing a mask when there are few people around, like outdoors or in a spacious store. When I agreed that masking isn't as important in certain settings, they became more amenable to wearing one when it matters most. 5/

They felt like masks aren't worth it because the threat of the virus has been overblown. Although not necessarily the cause of that conviction, absolutist and fear-based messaging haven't helped. Not everything is high risk and public health communication should reflect that. 6/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread