What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings 2008 Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

The Indy game hurt, but I'm optimistic. We played fine in the GB game, manhandled Indy for 7/8 of that game, and took care of Carolina after dropping early. Defense is playing great and we're getting better pressure this year. I'm praying our offense play-calling gets better but the switch to Frerotte seems to be a temporary boost.

Big game this weekend though.

I don't think I can watch anymore until Childress is fired.

Even if they win, it will be an ugly win and not worth the time to witness.

They just look boring. Did anyone else notice yesterday that AP started to look very frustrated? He had no where to run, and often seemed to be slowing down in his runs and just looked like he wasn't in the game anymore.

He's our offense. Period. If they can't open holes for him, it's going to be a long season. I realize Tenn has a great defense, so I have to temper my expectations, but most of Peterson's longer runs this year are all him. There never seems to be any holes (sans the Colts game...but everyone gounges the Colts) for him to go through.

They look sloppy. They look unmotivated. The offense is as vanilla and boring as you can possibly imagine. It's like watching a high school game.

I didn't watch the game, but I live in Rochester, MN and was listening to local radio this morning. Did I hear right that MN punted with 2:00 to go on 4th and 13? What kind of message does that send to the team? If there ever was a reason to fire someone, that was certainly it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look sloppy. They look unmotivated. The offense is as vanilla and boring as you can possibly imagine. It's like watching a high school game.
That's what I was saying yesterday. It doesn't seem like there's any "scheme" there.It seems more like, "Hey, we haven't passed for a bit, so let's pass." And then "Hey, we've run right a few too many times. Let's run left."I hate to say it because I can't stand the guy, but I think they're really missing McKinnie.

I didn't realize that Childress benched E.J. Henderson for the first series yesterday.

I wonder if that had anything to do with the Titans marching right down the field? :football:

Benching players for disciplinary reasons is dumb. It hurts the rest of the team. Guys should be fined instead.

Which leads me to another question... Why does the defense look so soft? Even the run defense isn't particularly good this year. Does Kevin Williams still play for the Vikings? They're not getting their money's worth out of Allen.

They just look boring. Did anyone else notice yesterday that AP started to look very frustrated? He had no where to run, and often seemed to be slowing down in his runs and just looked like he wasn't in the game anymore.

He's our offense. Period. If they can't open holes for him, it's going to be a long season. I realize Tenn has a great defense, so I have to temper my expectations, but most of Peterson's longer runs this year are all him. There never seems to be any holes (sans the Colts game...but everyone gounges the Colts) for him to go through.

funny I was saying the same thing to my buddy when we were watching the game, but its been like that ever since chilly got here, so no real surprise. I think/hope Mckinney coming back is going to really open up the run game.

funny I was saying the same thing to my buddy when we were watching the game, but its been like that ever since chilly got here, so no real surprise. I think/hope Mckinney coming back is going to really open up the run game.
I agree...I still think they should spread out the defense with 4 WRs and have Jackson at QB. Open up lanes for Peterson and let Jackson make plays with his legs.

You have one (if not) the best RB in the game and you han it off 18 time while you let Gus throw 40++ times. AD was running hard but they seem hell bent on proving Gus for some odd reason.

With Mt. Mckinnie comming back I think this will help but a not to Viking OC you a run team Gus is not Manning.

You have one (if not) the best RB in the game and you han it off 18 time while you let Gus throw 40++ times. AD was running hard but they seem hell bent on proving Gus for some odd reason.With Mt. Mckinnie comming back I think this will help but a not to Viking OC you a run team Gus is not Manning.
It's five o'clock somewhere! :thumbup:

Unfortunately yesterday's game was merely a warmup for their MNF game vs the Saints...if they can't contain Chris Johnson and Justin Gage, Bush and the rotating deep WR of the drive will eat them alive on the road. At least the Titans game proved that Frerotte <> Jackson at QB- but QB issues aside, they're still not pressuring the QB enough with the "talent" they have on the line (Kerry Collins almost looked like he was moving in slow motion in the pocket and STILL had little/no pressure), and the holding penalties are killing their drives. They managed to convert some nice 3rd and longs (and probably got screwed on that 4th and 1 conversion), but this offense isn't scaring anybody but their own fans.

FunkyPlutos said:
mozzy84 said:

I agree...I still think they should spread out the defense with 4 WRs and have Jackson at QB. Open up lanes for Peterson and let Jackson make plays with his legs.
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a supporter of Gus...but at least they attempt to go down field once in a while with Gus. I know he isn't the answer, but at least they throw two or three a game. It was 0 a game with TJax.

3rd and 1 yesterday. ADP on the backfield. Chilly calls for a 20 yard pass down field to Visucky S*** a brick.

Looking back, TJ might not have been a great QB but the playcalling was terrible and it hasn't gotten any better with Gus Forget A Lot in there.

Childress is simply terrible as a HC and Ziggy should know it by now. They lose next week to New Orleans and Chilly has to go. Especially after dropping all that $$$ in the off season.

Berrian could have just put on a ski mask and pulled a gun on an armored truck because he is doing nothing but highway robbery.

Visucky S*** a brick is juts a terrible TE. Who in the hell thought this guy was a playmaking TE?

3rd and 1 yesterday. ADP on the backfield. Chilly calls for a 20 yard pass down field to Visucky S*** a brick. Looking back, TJ might not have been a great QB but the playcalling was terrible and it hasn't gotten any better with Gus Forget A Lot in there. Childress is simply terrible as a HC and Ziggy should know it by now. They lose next week to New Orleans and Chilly has to go. Especially after dropping all that $$$ in the off season.Berrian could have just put on a ski mask and pulled a gun on an armored truck because he is doing nothing but highway robbery.Visucky S*** a brick is juts a terrible TE. Who in the hell thought this guy was a playmaking TE?
lets keep the bashing on chilly if possible, oh wait all that is is fault anyways for putting these guys out there. Why does shaincoe have to be a big part of every gameplan? The third and 1 I just went WTF was that? I know you don't want to get anyone hurt, but punt the ball at the end there and call it a day, come on...he's also the genius who moved tahi in the lineup over tapeh, I know chilly didn't fumble the ball yesterday but he puts these guys out there. ADP won this guy to many games last year, sucks....Thank you god for the sunday ticket, the vikes are relegated to the small laptop screen for a least a couple weeks.

I don't think I can watch anymore until Childress is fired.Even if they win, it will be an ugly win and not worth the time to witness.
They need to make the move and lock up Frazier as the HC. (And I have been a Childress supporter, but no more)
Do you think Frazier is HC material? I do not. His Defense is underperforming and not playing that well. He had similar results as a DC in other stops (Bengals) and wasn't DC in Indy.Now I know that Cowher is who everyone wants and I would love to get him, but he wants control and for whatever reason, the Wylfs seem to love Speilman. So I don't see that happening.I have been debating posting this statement out of fear of ridicule but here it goes... I would like to see them hire Marty Schottenheimer as their HC. He knows how to run the ball and how to coach a strong Defense which is what the Vikings are based on. I know he hasn't won the "big game" very well and is old school, but I like that idea better than rolling the dice on another coordinator with no experience. There it is...rip away. :goodposting:

Vikes Fan said:

They need to make the move and lock up Frazier as the HC. (And I have been a Childress supporter, but no more)
Do you think Frazier is HC material? I do not. His Defense is underperforming and not playing that well. He had similar results as a DC in other stops (Bengals) and wasn't DC in Indy.
:goodposting: I think Vike fans should expect more. This is no longer the joke of a franchise which escallates positional coaches rather than opening up a search for a legit NFL head coach. On the positive side, Zygi certainly indicates he's not afraid to spend to get the cream of the crop, even if he whiffed with Childress. It's probably too much to hope for, but this team desparately needs a Bill Cowher type to light a fire under and motivate it. The rumormill had him replacing Fox in Carolina but now that Fox is doing ok in Carolina maybe there's a chance he could go elsewhere?

I bet Cowher ends up in Cleveland now. No way in H-E-doublehockeysticks does he come to Minnesota.

I bet Cowher ends up in Cleveland now. No way in H-E-doublehockeysticks does he come to Minnesota.
Just out of curiosity, why not? Top tier RB and above average defense seems like a better gig than Cleveland for Cowher football.
No one comes to Minnesota. Doesn't matter what professional team it is. Cowher has ties to Cleveland besides.
You'd be surprised what the right amount of do re mi can do to those supposed "ties" Cowher has.Zygi will toss out some serious money if it meant getting a Bill Cowher

Just out of curiosity, why not? Top tier RB and above average defense seems like a better gig than Cleveland for Cowher football.
No one comes to Minnesota. Doesn't matter what professional team it is. Cowher has ties to Cleveland besides.
Ok, I thought you had a legit reason. I had read that Cowher purchased a home near Cleveland but does he have other ties to Cleveland? I'd find it a little weird if he went to coach a Pitt rival. It's not as if he was forced out of town. It's not like Minneapolis vs. Miami... we're talking about Cleveland. In any event I'd think any coach would welcome cashing in to coach the talent on this team. Hell, I bet Jimmy Johnson would put up with winter to coach this team. :goodposting:

Ok, I thought you had a legit reason. I had read that Cowher purchased a home near Cleveland but does he have other ties to Cleveland? I'd find it a little weird if he went to coach a Pitt rival. It's not as if he was forced out of town. It's not like Minneapolis vs. Miami... we're talking about Cleveland. In any event I'd think any coach would welcome cashing in to coach the talent on this team. Hell, I bet Jimmy Johnson would put up with winter to coach this team. :confused:
He is most noted as a player as a Cleveland Brown. He has some allegance to the team that gave him his break as a player.Team(s) as a player (Bill Cowher)

1979 Philadelphia Eagles

1980-1982 Cleveland Browns

1983-1984 Philadelphia Eagles

He also started his coaching career as an assistant with the Browns...again the organization that he got his break with...

Team(s) as a coach/administrator

1985-1986 Cleveland Browns

(Special Teams Coordinator)

1987-1988 Cleveland Browns

(Secondary)

1989-1991 Kansas City Chiefs

(Defensive Coordinator)

1992-2006 Pittsburgh Steelers

(Head Coach)

Vikes Fan said:

Do you think Frazier is HC material? I do not. His Defense is underperforming and not playing that well. He had similar results as a DC in other stops (Bengals) and wasn't DC in Indy.
:hophead: I think Vike fans should expect more. This is no longer the joke of a franchise which escallates positional coaches rather than opening up a search for a legit NFL head coach. On the positive side, Zygi certainly indicates he's not afraid to spend to get the cream of the crop, even if he whiffed with Childress. It's probably too much to hope for, but this team desparately needs a Bill Cowher type to light a fire under and motivate it. The rumormill had him replacing Fox in Carolina but now that Fox is doing ok in Carolina maybe there's a chance he could go elsewhere?
OK, maybe he isn't head coaching material - not sure I agree, but in his defense the offense has given the other teams such good field position that the defense can't do everything. 21 points off those turnovers, but two of them were in the red zone so I can't blame the defense at all for the losses.Here is a name that would make some sense. Jim Fassell. He has the NY Giant ties that Zygi would like and I think he is a quality coach.

;) I think Vike fans should expect more. This is no longer the joke of a franchise which escallates positional coaches rather than opening up a search for a legit NFL head coach. On the positive side, Zygi certainly indicates he's not afraid to spend to get the cream of the crop, even if he whiffed with Childress. It's probably too much to hope for, but this team desparately needs a Bill Cowher type to light a fire under and motivate it. The rumormill had him replacing Fox in Carolina but now that Fox is doing ok in Carolina maybe there's a chance he could go elsewhere?
OK, maybe he isn't head coaching material - not sure I agree, but in his defense the offense has given the other teams such good field position that the defense can't do everything. 21 points off those turnovers, but two of them were in the red zone so I can't blame the defense at all for the losses.Here is a name that would make some sense. Jim Fassell. He has the NY Giant ties that Zygi would like and I think he is a quality coach.
But go beyond the last game. This defense is no where near where it should be with the talent they have. I do not think that can be disputed. They have been giving up big plays in bunches. All we heard in the offseason was that we would not have to blitz with this D-line and against Tenn and even in the Carolina game, we got pressure because we brought extra guys. Also, he does not even seem to be playing the Tampa 2, as it seems like we are in man most of the time, when our personel seems more suited to be playing zone. (Griffin has looked lost trying to play man.)Go back to last year, when the team was great against the run, but could not stop the pass. None of this speaks well of Frazier. People are high on Fraizer because they have watched Dungy and Tomlin turn into fine head coaches, and they are afraid of losing another one. Fraizer has been around long enough that if he were truely head coach material, he would have had more consideration by now. (The interview in Miami last year was out of respect for the Rooney Rule.)

Fassell is an interesting name. Wasn't he considered when Childress was hired and passed on? If this is the case, then I doubt they bring him in now.

Andy Dufresne said:
I want Marty Schottenheimer to coach this team.Can you imagine what kind of monster he'd make out of Adrian Peterson?
And here I didn't think anyone would agree with me. He seems like the perfect fit to me...

From PFT

CHILDRESS THROWS KLUWE UNDER THE BUSPosted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2008, 7:40 a.m.After a night in which Saints running back Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns in a losing effort to the Vikings, Minnesota coach Brad Childress played the “don’t blame me” game . . . by blaming his punter.“Both of those kicks are supposed to be out of bounds,” Childress said of the two punts that Bush returned for scores, “and when you say to somebody kick the ball out of bounds, that’s what you expect to happen. That’s what I expect to happen with a professional football kicker.”Bush’s second punt return for a touchdown could have come on the kick sandwiched between his two six-pointers, but once he broke free he tripped and fell.Asked whether the strong-legged Kluwe can control his punts in that fashion, Childress was blunt. “You know what? If he can’t do that, I’ll find someone that can kick the ball out of bounds.”Though Kluwe is only the punter, we’re troubled by the coach’s decision to make his displeasure with Kluwe publicly known. The message to the rest of the locker room is clear: “If you screw up, I’m gonna call you out to the press so they won’t call for me to be fired.”Really, why else would Childress throw Kluwe under the bus for all to see? The words are so stunning because it’s so rare to see a coach lambast a player through the media.And so as Childress tries not to lose his job, he needs to be careful or he might lose his team.
I really hate that guy.

From PFT

CHILDRESS THROWS KLUWE UNDER THE BUS

Posted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2008, 7:40 a.m.

After a night in which Saints running back Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns in a losing effort to the Vikings, Minnesota coach Brad Childress played the “don’t blame me” game . . . by blaming his punter.

“Both of those kicks are supposed to be out of bounds,” Childress said of the two punts that Bush returned for scores, “and when you say to somebody kick the ball out of bounds, that’s what you expect to happen. That’s what I expect to happen with a professional football kicker.”

Bush’s second punt return for a touchdown could have come on the kick sandwiched between his two six-pointers, but once he broke free he tripped and fell.

Asked whether the strong-legged Kluwe can control his punts in that fashion, Childress was blunt. “You know what? If he can’t do that, I’ll find someone that can kick the ball out of bounds.”

Though Kluwe is only the punter, we’re troubled by the coach’s decision to make his displeasure with Kluwe publicly known. The message to the rest of the locker room is clear: “If you screw up, I’m gonna call you out to the press so they won’t call for me to be fired.”

Really, why else would Childress throw Kluwe under the bus for all to see? The words are so stunning because it’s so rare to see a coach lambast a player through the media.

And so as Childress tries not to lose his job, he needs to be careful or he might lose his team.
I really hate that guy.
Wow. Dude, how are you going to pick on the punter? It's your fault they ever have to punt in the first place.

From PFT

CHILDRESS THROWS KLUWE UNDER THE BUSPosted by Mike Florio on October 7, 2008, 7:40 a.m.After a night in which Saints running back Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns in a losing effort to the Vikings, Minnesota coach Brad Childress played the “don’t blame me” game . . . by blaming his punter.“Both of those kicks are supposed to be out of bounds,” Childress said of the two punts that Bush returned for scores, “and when you say to somebody kick the ball out of bounds, that’s what you expect to happen. That’s what I expect to happen with a professional football kicker.”Bush’s second punt return for a touchdown could have come on the kick sandwiched between his two six-pointers, but once he broke free he tripped and fell.Asked whether the strong-legged Kluwe can control his punts in that fashion, Childress was blunt. “You know what? If he can’t do that, I’ll find someone that can kick the ball out of bounds.”Though Kluwe is only the punter, we’re troubled by the coach’s decision to make his displeasure with Kluwe publicly known. The message to the rest of the locker room is clear: “If you screw up, I’m gonna call you out to the press so they won’t call for me to be fired.”Really, why else would Childress throw Kluwe under the bus for all to see? The words are so stunning because it’s so rare to see a coach lambast a player through the media.And so as Childress tries not to lose his job, he needs to be careful or he might lose his team.
I really hate that guy.
For a transplant to the Twin Cities, he makes it very easy to root against the Purple. Only good thing you can say about his coaching "performance" so far this year is that (thanks to AWinfield) the team has not quit on him yet.

From PFT

After a night in which Saints running back Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns in a losing effort to the Vikings, Minnesota coach Brad Childress played the “don’t blame me” game . . . by blaming his punter.

“Both of those kicks are supposed to be out of bounds,” Childress said of the two punts that Bush returned for scores, “and when you say to somebody kick the ball out of bounds, that’s what you expect to happen. That’s what I expect to happen with a professional football kicker.”

Bush’s second punt return for a touchdown could have come on the kick sandwiched between his two six-pointers, but once he broke free he tripped and fell.

Asked whether the strong-legged Kluwe can control his punts in that fashion, Childress was blunt. “You know what? If he can’t do that, I’ll find someone that can kick the ball out of bounds.”

Though Kluwe is only the punter, we’re troubled by the coach’s decision to make his displeasure with Kluwe publicly known. The message to the rest of the locker room is clear: “If you screw up, I’m gonna call you out to the press so they won’t call for me to be fired.”

Really, why else would Childress throw Kluwe under the bus for all to see? The words are so stunning because it’s so rare to see a coach lambast a player through the media.

And so as Childress tries not to lose his job, he needs to be careful or he might lose his team.
I really hate that guy.
Wow. Dude, how are you going to pick on the punter? It's your fault they ever have to punt in the first place.
Ok, first off, I can't stand Childress. I had a sense of quietude when we fell behind in the 4th quarter, envisioning this possible loss as a means to a merciful and welcomed end of this coaching regime. They're horrible; particularly on offense. That said, if it is true he instructed Kluwe to kick out of bounds and 2 return TDs resulted from those failures, he has every right to throw Kluwe under the bus. I would not for a moment expect a coach to take heat for those types of blunders when everyone in the world was questioning his coaching ability for continually kicking to Bush.

Ok, have to go take a shower now because I feel dirty for supporting Chilly in any way whatsoever.

From PFT

I really hate that guy.
Ok, first off, I can't stand Childress. I had a sense of quietude when we fell behind in the 4th quarter, envisioning this possible loss as a means to a merciful and welcomed end of this coaching regime. They're horrible; particularly on offense. That said, if it is true he instructed Kluwe to kick out of bounds and 2 return TDs resulted from those failures, he has every right to throw Kluwe under the bus. I would not for a moment expect a coach to take heat for those types of blunders when everyone in the world was questioning his coaching ability for continually kicking to Bush.

Ok, have to go take a shower now because I feel dirty for supporting Chilly in any way whatsoever.
This is typical Chilly though, he doesn't take responsibility at all. He could have kept it under hat and reamed out Kluwe all week in practice or wherever, but there's no need to publicly call out an individual player who's been above average for most of his time. Childress is too loose lipped and quick to make with a comment. It's disgusting. He's just terribly insulting.

From PFT

I really hate that guy.

This is typical Chilly though, he doesn't take responsibility at all. He could have kept it under hat and reamed out Kluwe all week in practice or wherever, but there's no need to publicly call out an individual player who's been above average for most of his time. Childress is too loose lipped and quick to make with a comment. It's disgusting. He's just terribly insulting.
Agree to disagree. Again, I hate Childress as much as anyone but it does no good for him to "keep it under his hat" that a player did not follow instructions after everyone in the world witnessed how dumb it was to keep kicking to Bush. Maybe Belichick has the security to play that sort of "take a bullet" game but most coaches don't have that luxury when multiple gaffes are exposed on MNF, with a staff already deservedly on the hot seat. If you want to say he's in the wrong for putting a player out there who's capable of such massive mistakes, or that he's rostered a Jr. High coverage unit who is incapable of bailing out a punter, that's another thing.

Those "FIRE CHILDRESS" chants were awesome. Even better they tried to cover them up with music.

How nice that the reward for ugly wins is job security for Childress. What the heck is going on with the Vike's OL? Pat Morris has a pretty decent resume as an OL coach. How is he unable to get even mediocrity out of this talent?

Sorry guys, but our defense is playing better than any in the league right now and we have won 3 of 4 and are in first place. You need to get over the "Fire Childress" talk. The offense went for almost 400 yards yesterday. I don't hear anyone saying they should bench Peterson - his two fumbles cost the team scoring opportunities and should have cost them the Saints game.

Users who are viewing this thread