What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MNF - Colts at Titans (1 Viewer)

The play after the overturned fumble was a the play Turbin got hurt on.

After that was 4th down, play action pass where Brissett tried to run for it and went out of bounds right near the line of scrimmage.  If they think he lost yards it would be a sack. I think he may have gained a few inches, so it's possible it could get changed by Elias.
Sacks aren't determined by lost yards, he tucked the ball and ran, not a sack.
Sacks are determined by the combination of it having been an intended passing play, and not making it past the LOS. Tucking the ball and running on what was designed to be a passing play does not stop it from being a sack. Lots of sacks happen when the QB gives up on a passing play and tucks and tries to run with it. The statisticians may even go so far as to look at the blocking scheme to determine if it was a designed run or a designed pass.

Just based on the QB it didn't look like a designed run to me. It was play action with his back to the line. He looked like he was stopping and turning back around to pass, until he saw a defender closing in. If it was a designed bootleg he'd have immediately taken off after the play action. Probably would have made it too without that delay before he decided to run for it.

If you think it was a designed run we'll just have to disagree.  If we both agree the play was meant to be pass, then it's a sack if he didn't make it past the LOS.  I think comparing the LOS graphics line and the overhead view of where they spotted ball shows the ball was spotted at least halfway between the yard markers, while the LOS was short of that point. So I'd guess they will just call it a scramble for less than a yard gain.

The play after the overturned fumble was a the play Turbin got hurt on.

After that was 4th down, play action pass where Brissett tried to run for it and went out of bounds right near the line of scrimmage.  If they think he lost yards it would be a sack. I think he may have gained a few inches, so it's possible it could get changed by Elias.
Recent NFL stat correction called it a sack. Changed the outcome of a game in my league. Always thought a designed running play by a QB is not a sack. Learned something new. 

Recent NFL stat correction called it a sack. Changed the outcome of a game in my league. Always thought a designed running play by a QB is not a sack. Learned something new. 
Looking at the play, I saw nothing that made me think it was a designed run. Going from memory, but he did play action and then basically was coming to a stop and turning around.  Then saw the defender and scrambled. A designed run he'd have just bootlegged it after the play action.

So it is firmly in my mind it was intended as a pass, not a run.  With that in mind, the only question then is, did he get past the LOS or not.  If he did not then it's a sack.  I thought he did get past it, but only by a little bit, like less than the length of a football.  If they decided to call it "no gain" then that would be a sack.  Just getting back to the LOS is still a sack.

Users who are viewing this thread