What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

More Great News For Cutler (1 Viewer)

cutler6

Footballguy
Broncos open up offense

Denver leads NFL in yards gained, points scored

By Frank Schwab (Colorado Springs) Gazette

Thursday, September 18, 2008

ENGLEWOOD -- Mike Shanahan hasn't started wearing hoodies with the sleeves cut off like coaching counterpart Bill Belichick, but the Denver Broncos have borrowed some ideas from the New England Patriots.

For those who figured the Broncos' offensive attack looked a little like last year's Patriots, with spread formations and a lot of passes, you'd be right.

"We really liked what the Patriots were doing with some of their empty sets," quarterback Jay Cutler said, referring to some offseason study. "We've got similar weapons with our guys, with our tight ends and our backs are able to get out.

"Offensively we kind of matched up with what they were doing and we thought we might put it in, and it's working so far."

There's little doubt about the success. The Broncos are 2-0 and lead the league in yards gained and points.

The Broncos have passed the ball at a surprising rate. Cutler threw 50 passes on Sunday against San Diego, which tied a franchise record. The 2007 Patriots were the highest-scoring offense in NFL history and asking the Broncos to duplicate their numbers would be absurd. But Denver thinks the wide-open style fits their personnel, and quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates has gotten a lot of credit for his aggressive plan.

"Jeremy is doing a heck of job play-calling, changing things up," Shanahan said.

Cutler said the Broncos also studied the Steelers, Chargers, Cowboysand this week's opponent, the Saints, who are all pass-heavy teams.

"This is a copycat league and everyone looks at everyone, everyone takes plays and tweaks them here and there a little bit," Cutler said.

The Broncos have averaged 4.9 yards per carry running the ball, but have been most effective when throwing. In the third quarter against San Diego the Broncos didn't get a first down. They were a little more conventional that quarter, especially in the second series when they ran twice, threw a short screen and punted.

The fourth quarter was back to being wide open, including many empty sets in which Cutler lined up in a shotgun formation and had nobody with him in the backfield. In two fourth-quarter drives the Broncos picked up 12 first downs and 146 yards.

Denver has the personnel to employ a pass-heavy offense. The receiving corps is deep enough that Keary Colbert, a high-priority free-agent signee this offseason, was traded to Seattle on Tuesday.

Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley and Darrell Jackson are the top four, and Tony Scheffler is a talented tight end. Stokley was on a great passing offense in Indianapolis from 2003-06, with Pro Bowlers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

"I think, from top to bottom, receiving corps-wise, we're better than when I was with Indy," Stokley said. "We've got a lot of depth at receiver, a lot of good players. I wouldn't trade Eddie and 'B-Marsh' for anybody else right now in the league." The Broncos also have an offensive line that has allowed only one sack, and that was credited as a team sack to San Diego when Cutler fumbled on a disputed call late in Sunday's game.

No matter what the Broncos' record is this season, their offense should be fun to watch from beginning to end.

"Tight ends, offensive line, quarterback, from top to bottom we've got what it takes to keep this up and have a great offensive year," Stokley said.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/sep/1...pen-up-offense/

i thought Cutler had a good shot at top 3 QB's this yr, before the season. now it's looking VERY likely.

i thought Cutler had a good shot at top 3 QB's this yr, before the season. now it's looking VERY likely.
Just out of curiosity, what was it that you saw (on paper) that gave you that idea?
His strong arm, accuracy, and being held back by undiagnosed diabetes last year. Very good WR and TE to throw to, along with a solid and dependable slot receiver. Throwing Eddie Royal into the mix has been pure gravy. Also, knowing that with Cutler, Shanahan could open up the playbook and let a rip. Shanahan hasn't had that QB since Elway.

doesn't surprise me at all. As I've said in many threads...their best talent is at the QB, WR and TE positions and Shanny is a smart coach and change his game to utilize his talent. Some posters threw Denver's rush/pass totals in my face as evidence that Shanny doesn't pass the ball but I always thought he'd utilize his talent.... :patsselfonback:

doesn't surprise me at all. As I've said in many threads...their best talent is at the QB, WR and TE positions and Shanny is a smart coach and change his game to utilize his talent. Some posters threw Denver's rush/pass totals in my face as evidence that Shanny doesn't pass the ball but I always thought he'd utilize his talent.... :patsselfonback:
It amazes me how many coaches go to a team and employ their system (e.g. WCO) regardless of their player's fit (see Zorn in WAS, Mora when he came to ATL). While Shanny and BB seem like jerks, they are very smart and adjust to the talent they have.

:lmao: at the i told you so's in there.
I was able to get Cutler in all of my leagues because I liked his chances to be a top 7 QB for QB10-13 price.Never in my wildest dreams did I envision a legit shot at QB1 this year, but it is there.....

Except for Pittman, who will punch it in once they pass all the way down the field.
By punch it in, are you asking who is going to score from the 1-2 yard line? Marshall on a jump ball, Scheff, Royal on a quick slant, Torain, Hall, Young, or maybe Jay calls his own number and he just sneaks it in.Denver has too many weapons to simply key on one player.

Except for Pittman, who will punch it in once they pass all the way down the field.
By punch it in, are you asking who is going to score from the 1-2 yard line? Marshall on a jump ball, Scheff, Royal on a quick slant, Torain, Hall, Young, or maybe Jay calls his own number and he just sneaks it in.Denver has too many weapons to simply key on one player.
Not to hijack...but Pittman has received 9 of 10 redzone carries this year. I'd say he has as good shot to score most points.

:thumbup: at the i told you so's in there.
I was able to get Cutler in all of my leagues because I liked his chances to be a top 7 QB for QB10-13 price.Never in my wildest dreams did I envision a legit shot at QB1 this year, but it is there.....
I managed to get Cutler in 2 out of 4 leagues. In the leagues I didn't get Cutler, he went in the first round in one league. In the the other league he went in the fourth round, by a guy who drafted P. Manning in the first. Yes, these were August drafts.

royal = welker? :subscribe:
Not when Marshall is catching 18 passes a game...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
see, i noticed that cutler started to look for him late - especially when it counted like the 2 pt conversion - rather than focusing exclusively on the incredible game Marshall had. cutler will focus on his #1 WR but i think, as the season progresses, he can learn to trust royal. the coverage will roll to marshall and create opportunities for royal.

Not when Marshall is catching 18 passes a game...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
see, i noticed that cutler started to look for him late - especially when it counted like the 2 pt conversion - rather than focusing exclusively on the incredible game Marshall had. cutler will focus on his #1 WR but i think, as the season progresses, he can learn to trust royal. the coverage will roll to marshall and create opportunities for royal.
You don't think Cutler trusts Royal yet? Have you seen either of the Broncos games?

You don't think Cutler trusts Royal yet? Have you seen either of the Broncos games?
:shrug:

Just out of curiosity, what was it that you saw (on paper) that gave you that idea?
look, i'm not a stats cruncher. i've got too many other hobbies. i go by what i see on the field, trends and my gut. what i saw from Cutler last yr, along with the diabetes bein under control, and marshall as his main target, led me to believe he was going to be one of the elite QB's in the NFL this yr. throw in Royal, Scheffler, and a spread type offense..... :mellow: now i'm not saying i definately thought he would be top 3. i'm saying i thought he had a shot. i'm just saying i thought he was the real deal last yr, along with many other folks. so i targeted him in drafts.

as a matter of fact, yes. we all knew that cutler had skills but he was sometimes too focused on getting marshall the ball. no doubt some of this comes from fact that they entered the league at the same time and built a rapport but some of that is also because of the turnover at the position.so, marshall gets 18 receptions and some of them were not exactly high percentage throws either. it says something that he turned to royal late in the game, especially on the game winning conversion. why stop throwing to marshall when you've been able to feed him the ball almost at will otherwise? they're 2 games into the season and the trust in the rookie is building. it's great to see...

No, Stokley = Welker. Probably the two best slot receivers in the league right now.Scary thought for the rest of the league: Of the Broncos' 11 starters on offense, only 3 have been playing for more than 3 years. Daniel Graham has 6 years experience (he's not even 30 yet), Ben Hamilton has 7 years experience, and center Casey Wiegmann has 11 years experience. The offensive line starts a rookie, a second year player, and a third year player, the QB is in his third year, the WRs are a rookie and a third year guy, the other TE is in his third year, the starting RB is a second year pro, and the fullback is a rookie. Absurd.Also, Denver's 2006 draft has to go down as perhaps the best draft class in recent memory. Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon, Chris Kuper, Greg Eslinger. Wow.

No, Stokley = Welker. Probably the two best slot receivers in the league right now.Scary thought for the rest of the league: Of the Broncos' 11 starters on offense, only 3 have been playing for more than 3 years. Daniel Graham has 6 years experience (he's not even 30 yet), Ben Hamilton has 7 years experience, and center Casey Wiegmann has 11 years experience. The offensive line starts a rookie, a second year player, and a third year player, the QB is in his third year, the WRs are a rookie and a third year guy, the other TE is in his third year, the starting RB is a second year pro, and the fullback is a rookie. Absurd.Also, Denver's 2006 draft has to go down as perhaps the best draft class in recent memory. Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon, Chris Kuper, Greg Eslinger. Wow.
:bs: It's tough to beat good coaching and personnel management over the long haul.It would be nice if Cassel can get to 85% of Brady (versus the 60% he is today) so when the Pats play Denver BOTH teams can be using the blitzkreig attack so we can all watch the fireworks.

Fortunately for the rest of the league there is something called a defense. Care to educate the rest of us about Denver's homerboy?

dirtywaters20 said:
Fortunately for the rest of the league there is something called a defense. Care to educate the rest of us about Denver's homerboy?
Sure. They've played two games. In one, they looked amazing, in another, they looked invisible. Talent-wise, they have three big-time stars (one at every level) in Dumervil, Williams, and Bailey. They've got some solid-to-very-good players in Dre Bly, Boss Bailey (when he's healthy), and Marcus Thomas. After that, it's a parade of vet minimum kind of guys- names like Webster, Engleberger, Ekuban. The defense is going to live and die by their ability to pressure the passer, which means that Dumervil and last year's #1, Jarvis Moss, better step up... but even if the ends don't step up, the CBs are good enough to mitigate the damage on the outside provided the safeties can hold up in the middle against the run. Which is really the big question- can they hold up against the run. Last year, Denver was terrible against the run, but they were also terribly miscast in Bates' defensive scheme. Slowik has been dropping an 8th man back into the box, which has resulted in definite improvements against the run.Denver's defense isn't as good as it looked in week 1, or as bad as it looked in week 2. It's better than it was last year, has the star power to put up some awesome games (especially when Dumervil enters Beast Mode), and most importantly... is capable of being at least as good as New England's was last year. And with the offense looking set for the next half dozen years, they'll have plenty of time to work on improving it.I honestly believe that we're seeing Denver's offense in the fledgling stages of becoming the next Indianapolis, with lots of studs getting locked into long deals and becoming perennial powers.

dirtywaters20 said:
Sure. They've played two games. In one, they looked amazing, in another, they looked invisible. Talent-wise, they have three big-time stars (one at every level) in Dumervil, Williams, and Bailey. They've got some solid-to-very-good players in Dre Bly, Boss Bailey (when he's healthy), and Marcus Thomas. After that, it's a parade of vet minimum kind of guys- names like Webster, Engleberger, Ekuban. The defense is going to live and die by their ability to pressure the passer, which means that Dumervil and last year's #1, Jarvis Moss, better step up... but even if the ends don't step up, the CBs are good enough to mitigate the damage on the outside provided the safeties can hold up in the middle against the run. Which is really the big question- can they hold up against the run. Last year, Denver was terrible against the run, but they were also terribly miscast in Bates' defensive scheme. Slowik has been dropping an 8th man back into the box, which has resulted in definite improvements against the run.Denver's defense isn't as good as it looked in week 1, or as bad as it looked in week 2. It's better than it was last year, has the star power to put up some awesome games (especially when Dumervil enters Beast Mode), and most importantly... is capable of being at least as good as New England's was last year. And with the offense looking set for the next half dozen years, they'll have plenty of time to work on improving it.I honestly believe that we're seeing Denver's offense in the fledgling stages of becoming the next Indianapolis, with lots of studs getting locked into long deals and becoming perennial powers.
I happen to agree with your take on their offense. I don't share your optimism with the defense. They may be as good as New England's was last year but not sure what that proves. Their offense isn't nearly that good & NE didn't win the Super Bowl last year; they lost to the team with the better defense.

so for those that thinks the Broncos won't throw as much playing a terrible Chiefs team, what are the chances that they keep throwing until end of the game while running the score up?

Is it truly a spread offense when the QB maintains a radar lock on just one receiver the entire game? I suspect they will at some point run into a defensive coordinator with personnel good enough to take away Cutler's #1 option. The question is whether Cutler is mature enough to go through his progressions or will he still try to force the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread