What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most likely to turn it around (1 Viewer)

Manasseh

Footballguy
Lots of players this year underperforming. Who do you think may still turn it around this season? I've listed a few players I could think of below:

QB

Peyton Manning

Carson Palmer

Derek Anderson

Big Ben (started to turn it around last week)

Matt Hasselbeck

RB

LT

Addai

Ryan Grant

MJD

WR

Braylon Edwards

Andre Johnson

Torry Holt

Chad Johnson

Personally, I feel like the Colts have to get it going at some point this year. I'd rank Addai's chances to turn it around above LT's (am I alone in this?). I'm also not sold on Ben's game against Jacksonville. He has a tough schedule ahead and now may be the time to sell high. Out of the WR I listed, AJ is the obvious choice, especially after last week's game. And I still think Edwards has a shot. About ready to give up on Holt though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both Colts are the guys from these lists you'd want. Peyton had no training camp and the offense as a whole seems to have more rhythm every week.

I also have some interest in MJD mostly because of the schedule getting easier.

I think Willis McGahee is a great buy-low. Ravens' young O line is coming together well, he's getting healthy, and their sked gets a lot easier after facing Pitt and Tenn over the last two weeks.

Joseph Addai is on pace for about 1,000 yards and 16 TDs. Didn't realize he needed to "turn things around".

yuck. I have a lot of those peeps. :X

anyways, I'd agree on the Indy players. I am actually trying like hell to grab Peyton.

Joseph Addai is on pace for about 1,000 yards and 16 TDs. Didn't realize he needed to "turn things around".
I think most people who've watched every Indy game this year would agree that 2 of Addai's 4 TD's were of the fluke variety and he's only averaging 3.6 ypc. Yes, you're absolutely correct, he's on pace for 16 TD's but if Indy continues playing the way they have x4, I doubt Addai would end up with even a dozen TD's. He most definitely does need to "turn things around" to continue the pace he's on.

I think Braylon turns it around. The guy has too much talent to continue at this pace. I am hopeful that the presence of Stallworth will open things up for the Brown offense...but Anderson has to play better. He seems to lock onto a target and force the ball when other options are open. That being said, Edwards has dropped plenty of balls, but I think the dropsies will be cured coming out of the bye week.

The thing that concerns me about the Colts players and Braylon Edwards is both teams have very difficult schedules moving forward. My hope is that Dante Stallworth is able to alleviate some of the pressure on Edwards so that he has more opportunities but the guy can't stay healthy.

I think most people who've watched every Indy game this year would agree that 2 of Addai's 4 TD's were of the fluke variety and he's only averaging 3.6 ypc. Yes, you're absolutely correct, he's on pace for 16 TD's but if Indy continues playing the way they have x4, I doubt Addai would end up with even a dozen TD's. He most definitely does need to "turn things around" to continue the pace he's on.
Define "fluke variety touchdown." :goodposting: I believe this belief system is derivative of the "if you take this play out" philosophy.

doesn't look very good for me when i thought for a second that you were listing my roster...

Define "fluke variety touchdown." :goodposting: I believe this belief system is derivative of the "if you take this play out" philosophy.
Perhaps, but when looking forward, I usually don't count on fluke plays happening again. Long runs and stuff like that are more likely to. Take Portis or LT throwing TDs, or Pennington running for 30 yards (or was that play nullified?) LT's done it again, but I don't include those plays in my forward projections.

Chad Johnson is due for a huge week against the Jets, so he can go back into hibernation for a month until he has another big week.

100, 2td's.

Define "fluke variety touchdown." :lmao: I believe this belief system is derivative of the "if you take this play out" philosophy.
Perhaps, but when looking forward, I usually don't count on fluke plays happening again. Long runs and stuff like that are more likely to. Take Portis or LT throwing TDs, or Pennington running for 30 yards (or was that play nullified?) LT's done it again, but I don't include those plays in my forward projections.
Ya, but all of Addai's TDs have been from at or near the goal line. How is that a fluke play? Are we going to say all of Hightower's TDs are flukes too?

Chad Johnson is due for a huge week against the Jets, so he can go back into hibernation for a month until he has another big week. 100, 2td's.
Why is he "due" for a big game? He has shown little/nothing so far this year, even last week against a below-average Dallas secondary that the Cincy offense had reeling. (I do agree he'll most likely have a big game at some point, get everyone's hopes up, then continue his craptastic stat lines).

i like Marvisin Harrison to turn it around. It seems like the general consensus around here thinks he is done, but i say he gets it going soon. Maybe even a surprise nice week against Balt.

I haven't watched any of the Rams games. What's up with Holt? Is it Bulger, not having a respectable #2 WR to take the pressure off? The OL?

Someone just dropped him and the week before someone dropped Edwards (who I picked up). I'm interested in picking up Holt but with small rosters, I can only carry one guy unless Shockey comes back (have Olsen covering him).

Who has the most promise going forward this season?

Define "fluke variety touchdown." :thumbup: I believe this belief system is derivative of the "if you take this play out" philosophy.
I hear what you're saying and normally I completely agree with you but not in this case. How do I define the fluke variety TD? For starters, Anthony Gonzalez catching a pass, lateralling it to Reggie Wayne who scampers an additional 16 yards and is tackled at the 1. Peyton Manning then attempting 2 QB sneaks thereafter and gets stuffed both times before Addai runs it in for the one yard score. I guess I'm not saying it's flukey that he has scored those TD's, just the events leading up to them were out of the ordinary. Have you had the chance to watch some Indy games this year? And if so, are you disagreeing that if Indy's offense continues to play the way it has times 4, that your "he's on pace for 16 TD's...how does he have to turn it around?" comment is probably off.

QB

Peyton Manning

RB

LT

Addai

MJD

WR

Braylon Edwards

Andre Johnson

I guess it all depends on how you want to define "turn it around," but the law of averages says all of these guys seem poised to perform better down the stretch than they have so far. AJ started his turnaround already.

I worry the most about Braylon just because he has the combo platter of struggling mentally and being on a team that's not playing well.

FantasyTrader said:
KoolKat said:
FantasyTrader said:
Tong Po said:
Define "fluke variety touchdown." :) I believe this belief system is derivative of the "if you take this play out" philosophy.
I hear what you're saying and normally I completely agree with you but not in this case. How do I define the fluke variety TD? For starters, Anthony Gonzalez catching a pass, lateralling it to Reggie Wayne who scampers an additional 16 yards and is tackled at the 1. Peyton Manning then attempting 2 QB sneaks thereafter and gets stuffed both times before Addai runs it in for the one yard score. I guess I'm not saying it's flukey that he has scored those TD's, just the events leading up to them were out of the ordinary. Have you had the chance to watch some Indy games this year? And if so, are you disagreeing that if Indy's offense continues to play the way it has times 4, that your "he's on pace for 16 TD's...how does he have to turn it around?" comment is probably off.
I wasn't the one who made that comment.I have seen 2 of the Indy games, and you have to realize that they have played three of the best defenses in the league in their last four games. This all happened with a banged up O-Line and a Manning injury that forced the Colts to use a pitch instead of an off-tackle when running Addai (which is their favorite play). I see no reason to think they will not be more productive as the season goes on, and considering Addai already has 4 TDs I would say that that is a good sign.

The_Man said:
I think Willis McGahee is a great buy-low. Ravens' young O line is coming together well, he's getting healthy, and their sked gets a lot easier after facing Pitt and Tenn over the last two weeks.
:) I just bought real low on him and am starting him this week vs INDY. His next 5 games or so are very easy, hes still getting a ton of carries, and his defense will keep them in most games allowing them to keep running.

The_Man said:
:hifive: I just bought real low on him and am starting him this week vs INDY. His next 5 games or so are very easy, hes still getting a ton of carries, and his defense will keep them in most games allowing them to keep running.
Not if Mclain has anything to say about it---I hope Mcgayhee plays his first complete game this year

I have seen 2 of the Indy games, and you have to realize that they have played three of the best defenses in the league in their last four games. This all happened with a banged up O-Line and a Manning injury that forced the Colts to use a pitch instead of an off-tackle when running Addai (which is their favorite play). I see no reason to think they will not be more productive as the season goes on, and considering Addai already has 4 TDs I would say that that is a good sign.
Chicago, Minnesota and Jacksonville aren't 3 of the best defenses in the NFL. But the Colts do play 3 of the NFL's top 5 defenses in their next 5 games - Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee. Things might get worse for Addai before they get better.

Meat said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Chad Johnson is due for a huge week against the Jets, so he can go back into hibernation for a month until he has another big week. 100, 2td's.
Why is he "due" for a big game? He has shown little/nothing so far this year, even last week against a below-average Dallas secondary that the Cincy offense had reeling. (I do agree he'll most likely have a big game at some point, get everyone's hopes up, then continue his craptastic stat lines).
So then you disagree but yet agree with me? :thumbup: Chad has said himself he feels healthy so it's just a matter of time before Carson has enough time to throw one or two deep balls. They gained a little momentum last week against Dallas so maybe it's time they get their first win in New Jersey. Then there will be debates about whether to trade CJ, keep CJ, if it was the start of something big or not.

scrumptrulescent said:
I am pessimistic, yet hopeful you are correct. As a Jets homer I hope the Bengals only scoring is through 85. BUt seriously, what are the chances he does this? The Jets are last against the past, but is that skewed because of Rivers and Warner et al?ETA: I would then look to trade him for a decent RB, lol.

The arithmatic isn't that difficult

213 rushing yards in 4 games

4 x 4 = 16 games

213 x 4 = 852 yards

Consensus #5 pick

Yeah, I'd say he qualifies for the "needs to turnaround" category.

Has anyone ever done a study comparing player performance with number of endorsements?

It seems to me that the guys who spend more time in the offseason filming commercials and guest spots on Leno suffer from below average performance based upon expectations.

It is most likely just coincidence but I still move players down on my draft board if I start seeing dozens of commercials featuring them leading up to the start of the NFL season.

Meat said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Chad Johnson is due for a huge week against the Jets, so he can go back into hibernation for a month until he has another big week.

100, 2td's.
So then you disagree but yet agree with me? :confused: Chad has said himself he feels healthy so it's just a matter of time before Carson has enough time to throw one or two deep balls. They gained a little momentum last week against Dallas so maybe it's time they get their first win in New Jersey. Then there will be debates about whether to trade CJ, keep CJ, if it was the start of something big or not.
I remember carrying around a similar hope about Emmitt Smith and Curtis Martin (my 1st & 2nd round draft picks) back in 1997.Thanks for bringing up such a crappy memory.

Meat said:
scrumptrulescent said:
I'm sure hoping so, and then I can get some value for him. I got him cheap with the plan that he will have one big game and then I could trade high. I think he is due because every year he has two huge games and then sucks for the rest of the season.

The_Man said:
:goodposting: I just bought real low on him and am starting him this week vs INDY. His next 5 games or so are very easy, hes still getting a ton of carries, and his defense will keep them in most games allowing them to keep running.
Not if Mclain has anything to say about it---I hope Mcgayhee plays his first complete game this year
Even if McLain is the goalline back McGahee should still get around 5 TDs the rest of the way and 20 carries a game.

The arithmatic isn't that difficult213 rushing yards in 4 games4 x 4 = 16 games213 x 4 = 852 yardsConsensus #5 pickYeah, I'd say he qualifies for the "needs to turnaround" category.
You conveniently forgot to do the math on Addai's touchdown pace.... which would have him scoring more TD's than last year.16 of the fluke variety I guess.

The arithmatic isn't that difficult213 rushing yards in 4 games4 x 4 = 16 games213 x 4 = 852 yardsConsensus #5 pickYeah, I'd say he qualifies for the "needs to turnaround" category.
You conveniently forgot to do the math on Addai's touchdown pace.... which would have him scoring more TD's than last year.16 of the fluke variety I guess.
Oh just stop it already. I already dispelled your touchdown "pace". Addai's pace means precisely jack-sh** in terms of how he's running right now. Your 16 TD RB is "on pace" to land Indy squarely in the cellar of team rushing yds per game.

The arithmetic isn't that difficult213 rushing yards in 4 games4 x 4 = 16 games213 x 4 = 852 yardsConsensus #5 pickYeah, I'd say he qualifies for the "needs to turnaround" category.
He scored 15 a year ago, so that stat is on par/average/where expected/whatevs.YARDS PER GAME2006 - 67.62007 - 71.52008 - 53.3So far that's a pretty big outlier - almost 30 points on a seasonal basis (oops...don't wanna be accused of slanting these stats...29.12 to be precise).Last year in non-PPR format standard scoring, that would have been the difference between Top 3 or Top 7 - significant when you consider the investment this year. The troubling thing is that it isn't like this is an overreaction to a insignificant sample size, but rather part of an overall pattern. Addai has now gone 12 regular season games (plus a playoff game) without topping 100 yards. In fact, he hasn't topped 78 yards in that 13 game span.To reiterate...yeah, he needs to turn it around.

Lots of players this year underperforming. Who do you think may still turn it around this season? I've listed a few players I could think of below:QBPeyton ManningCarson PalmerDerek AndersonBig Ben (started to turn it around last week)Matt HasselbeckRBLTAddaiRyan GrantMJDWRBraylon EdwardsAndre JohnsonTorry HoltChad JohnsonPersonally, I feel like the Colts have to get it going at some point this year. I'd rank Addai's chances to turn it around above LT's (am I alone in this?). I'm also not sold on Ben's game against Jacksonville. He has a tough schedule ahead and now may be the time to sell high. Out of the WR I listed, AJ is the obvious choice, especially after last week's game. And I still think Edwards has a shot. About ready to give up on Holt though.
I disagree on Grant, MJD, Braylon, Holt, CJ, DA, for many of them, the problem isn't with the player, but rather the team they play for..Browns face an incredibly tough schedule in upcoming weeks, and Quinn looms large on the horizon..if he starts, you can drop Cleveland's time of possession stats by 10-15%..less sustained possessions means less chances for Edwards..Holt wouldn't have done much this year anyways, he's simply over the hill, slow, etc..and combine that with a lousy O-line, a QB who got the crap beat out of him last season with all the sacks he took,and a running game stuck in reverse, and you could see that the warning signs were there before fantasy drafts even happened..I doubt there was a player who screamed 'don't draft me' more than Torry Holt this year...MJD is a product of an ultra-conservative offensive philosophy that got more restrictive with the O-line problems and the injuries that have occurred on that side of the ball..and I doubt it gets any better..but again, MJD also had warning signs before fantasy drafts: Greg Jones was coming back,full strength..you had to have known that was going to eat into MJD's production..Jones has been a goal-line hawk..if Fred Taylor has success running the ball,so will MJD have success in doing what he does..but the blocking isn't there for either of them..Taylor used to soften up defenses and MJD was a nice switch,change-of-pace and defenses simply couldn't adjust..but they've stopped both RB's dead in their tracks. I highly doubt MJD makes a dent on the remainder of the NFL season, in fact, in December we'll be calling him fantasy bust of the year..Chad Johnson might turn it around, it seems the Bungles are playing better, perhaps Benson provides a spark to the running game..but that's doubtful, and Cincy faces a fairly tough schedule..Not a chance that Cinderella , aka D. Anderson, turns things around..that glass slipper is long overdue back at the shop, its about 1.30AM for him..one more loss ( probably this Monday night's game against NYG), and Quinn will make his debut..

but again, MJD also had warning signs before fantasy drafts: Greg Jones was coming back,full strength..you had to have known that was going to eat into MJD's production..Jones has been a goal-line hawk..
Greg Jones has zero goal line carries this year. In fact, he has zero carries overall. He has 7 total touches through 5 games, all via receptions. How can you consider 1.4 touches per game to be "eating into MJD's production"?

but again, MJD also had warning signs before fantasy drafts: Greg Jones was coming back,full strength..you had to have known that was going to eat into MJD's production..Jones has been a goal-line hawk..
Greg Jones has zero goal line carries this year. In fact, he has zero carries overall. He has 7 total touches through 5 games, all via receptions. How can you consider 1.4 touches per game to be "eating into MJD's production"?
It should also be noted that starting center Brad Meester practiced fully for the first time this season (as did backup guard Chris Naeole). Meester's return should help this line.And the schedule is about to get much nicer with seven of their next ten games against the 25th, 21st, 29th, 30th, 26th, 27th & 32nd ranked rush defenses. They have three (four if you count week 17 games, which my league does not) tough matchups against Tenn (11th), Minn (3rd), Chi (4th) & Bal (1st - week 17) over the next 10 (11) games.

I agree that MJD could finish as a big disappointment but he is in a pretty good situation to change that outcome.

Lots of players this year underperforming. Who do you think may still turn it around this season? I've listed a few players I could think of below:QBPeyton ManningCarson PalmerDerek AndersonBig Ben (started to turn it around last week)Matt HasselbeckRBLTAddaiRyan GrantMJDWRBraylon EdwardsAndre JohnsonTorry HoltChad JohnsonPersonally, I feel like the Colts have to get it going at some point this year. I'd rank Addai's chances to turn it around above LT's (am I alone in this?). I'm also not sold on Ben's game against Jacksonville. He has a tough schedule ahead and now may be the time to sell high. Out of the WR I listed, AJ is the obvious choice, especially after last week's game. And I still think Edwards has a shot. About ready to give up on Holt though.
I disagree on Grant, MJD, Braylon, Holt, CJ, DA, for many of them, the problem isn't with the player, but rather the team they play for..Browns face an incredibly tough schedule in upcoming weeks, and Quinn looms large on the horizon..if he starts, you can drop Cleveland's time of possession stats by 10-15%..less sustained possessions means less chances for Edwards..Holt wouldn't have done much this year anyways, he's simply over the hill, slow, etc..and combine that with a lousy O-line, a QB who got the crap beat out of him last season with all the sacks he took,and a running game stuck in reverse, and you could see that the warning signs were there before fantasy drafts even happened..I doubt there was a player who screamed 'don't draft me' more than Torry Holt this year...MJD is a product of an ultra-conservative offensive philosophy that got more restrictive with the O-line problems and the injuries that have occurred on that side of the ball..and I doubt it gets any better..but again, MJD also had warning signs before fantasy drafts: Greg Jones was coming back,full strength..you had to have known that was going to eat into MJD's production..Jones has been a goal-line hawk..if Fred Taylor has success running the ball,so will MJD have success in doing what he does..but the blocking isn't there for either of them..Taylor used to soften up defenses and MJD was a nice switch,change-of-pace and defenses simply couldn't adjust..but they've stopped both RB's dead in their tracks. I highly doubt MJD makes a dent on the remainder of the NFL season, in fact, in December we'll be calling him fantasy bust of the year..Chad Johnson might turn it around, it seems the Bungles are playing better, perhaps Benson provides a spark to the running game..but that's doubtful, and Cincy faces a fairly tough schedule..Not a chance that Cinderella , aka D. Anderson, turns things around..that glass slipper is long overdue back at the shop, its about 1.30AM for him..one more loss ( probably this Monday night's game against NYG), and Quinn will make his debut..
:confused: I pretty much agree with all of your analysis.

Oh just stop it already. I already dispelled your touchdown "pace". Addai's pace means precisely jack-sh** in terms of how he's running right now. Your 16 TD RB is "on pace" to land Indy squarely in the cellar of team rushing yds per game.
:thumbup: You dispelled my Joseph Addai touchdown pace how exactly? By saying 2 of his 4 touchdowns were of the "fluke variety"?Oh wait, you also said Indy wasn't playing very well and that his "pace" would likely fall off.That's great analysis. I feel like an idiot. Sorry to waste your time.

4 x 4 = 16 games

213 x 4 = 852 yards

Consensus #5 pick

:lmao: You dispelled my Joseph Addai touchdown pace how exactly? By saying 2 of his 4 touchdowns were of the "fluke variety"?

Oh wait, you also said Indy wasn't playing very well and that his "pace" would likely fall off.

That's great analysis. I feel like an idiot. Sorry to waste your time.
You are wasting my time and I accept your apology. No I disspelled the pace he's on by reminding you of the fact that Indy is also "on pace" to wind up being the absolute dead last place team in NFL rushing this year. DEAD...LAST! Name me one time in the history of football that a RB had a 15+ TD season when his team was dead last in the league in yds. per game. But according to you, Addai is going to do that? He could continue the yardage pace he's on and run for 16 TD's. Right. FWIW - I actually believe the line will continue getting healthier, that Addai will have better yardage going forward and even end up with double digit TD's. But your assertion that Addai is just fine the way he's running now is laughable. Now here's where you babble on some more about 4 TD's with no reasoning whatever other than 4 TDs 4 TDs 4 TDs. I won't be back to read about it.

4 x 4 = 16 games

213 x 4 = 852 yards

Consensus #5 pick

:mellow: You dispelled my Joseph Addai touchdown pace how exactly? By saying 2 of his 4 touchdowns were of the "fluke variety"?

Oh wait, you also said Indy wasn't playing very well and that his "pace" would likely fall off.

That's great analysis. I feel like an idiot. Sorry to waste your time.
You are wasting my time and I accept your apology. No I disspelled the pace he's on by reminding you of the fact that Indy is also "on pace" to wind up being the absolute dead last place team in NFL rushing this year. DEAD...LAST! Name me one time in the history of football that a RB had a 15+ TD season when his team was dead last in the league in yds. per game. But according to you, Addai is going to do that? He could continue the yardage pace he's on and run for 16 TD's. Right. FWIW - I actually believe the line will continue getting healthier, that Addai will have better yardage going forward and even end up with double digit TD's. But your assertion that Addai is just fine the way he's running now is laughable. Now here's where you babble on some more about 4 TD's with no reasoning whatever other than 4 TDs 4 TDs 4 TDs. I won't be back to read about it.
not for nothing, but I actually think he IS running fine right now. Its hard to rack up yards when you are getting hit in the backfield every third carry. Manning typically can't move very quickly, but add in the knee problem and all the sudden their play action is irrelevant, and the handoff becomes a pitch (something that defenses are able to pick up easily). Couple that with the fact that they have been playing behind a shell of an oline (since last year, roughly around the same time Addai had his last 100 yard game) and frankly, Manning's arm isn't exactly scaring anyone right now, and you've got a very good RB who previously was performing at a top 5 clip due to the system he was in, now suffering a bit. However, he still scores TD's from 10 yards and in, which tells me that he CAN get it done when he needs to. Addai will finish a top 5-6 RB with decent yardage (1500 all purpose) and enough TD's to make up for any yardage shortcomings (16-18). And it will not be due to his running "improving". It will be due to Peyton shaking off the rust and getting healthy, and more importantly, his Oline getting healthier as well.

Tanner9919 said:
MJD is a product of an ultra-conservative offensive philosophy that got more restrictive with the O-line problems and the injuries that have occurred on that side of the ball..and I doubt it gets any better..but again, MJD also had warning signs before fantasy drafts: Greg Jones was coming back,full strength..you had to have known that was going to eat into MJD's production..Jones has been a goal-line hawk..if Fred Taylor has success running the ball,so will MJD have success in doing what he does..but the blocking isn't there for either of them..Taylor used to soften up defenses and MJD was a nice switch,change-of-pace and defenses simply couldn't adjust..but they've stopped both RB's dead in their tracks. I highly doubt MJD makes a dent on the remainder of the NFL season, in fact, in December we'll be calling him fantasy bust of the year..
I believe you are way off here.1 - Being in an ultra-conservative offense hurts MJD how?2- They will be getting OL back after the week 7 bye.3 - Why on earth are you talking about Greg Jones? He has 0 carries for 0 yards and 7 catches for 73 yards and a TD. He's absolutely no threat at the goal line.4 - MJD does not require Taylor to "soften up" the defense.Bust of the year? I admit my scoring is different from most since it's TD heavy, but MJD is ahead of names like SJax and Addai. They're in more danger of being the bust of the year at RB since MJD is the #2 RB on most rosters.

Users who are viewing this thread