What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mr. Robot (1 Viewer)

Personally, if they stopped after the first throwback commercials or something.  I felt the schtick went on way too long.

For me it went,  hey this is kind of cool -->  lol old graphics and commercials --->  :mellow:  ---> OK I GET IT
Sam Esmail tends to let a number of scenes go longer than usual. It is a fair criticism.

In the middle of S1 right now. I have liked it but not yet come to love it. I kept waiting for *the* episode that draws you in completely. Finished the episode with the drug dealer's prison escape and that might be the one I was waiting for. Big time episode.

In the middle of S1 right now. I have liked it but not yet come to love it. I kept waiting for *the* episode that draws you in completely. Finished the episode with the drug dealer's prison escape and that might be the one I was waiting for. Big time episode.
Um yes that's where #### starts getting amazing

I don't think anyone is claiming the scenes were not critical from an information / move the story forward perspective. Unless I misunderstood, I think it was stylistic issues and how long the shtick lasted, not the value of the dialogue within the shtick. Don't think anyone is saying it was shtick just for shtick sake.

OH FOR SHTICK'S SAKE!
Yeah - pretty sure they could have conveyed the same message without the enitre laugh track :)

I watched last season but am not watching this one. The recent episode sounds like fun. Would it be worth checking out as a stand alone episode or do you need to be following along with the current story?

shadyridr said:
The laugh track was important since the father was trying to shield him from the horror that was happening to him. Plus he's bat #### crazy.
I GOT IT DAMN IT !@#!@#@!#@ :)

Seriously, just went on too long for me.

But ALF hitting the Allsafe/Cop was hilarious.

Funny thing is I was so convinced the theory was complete nonsense during the episode. So Ray was a warden, the other dudes were guards, and then the rapists were prisoners. And Leon worked for the dark army.

That, was awesome.  One of my favorite episodes and really hit the notes that I love about the show, and had more of a Season 1 feel.

Character heavy but moving a lot of key plots forward (some in ways we realize, some we miss totally, others are simply not what they seem) through great screenplay and dialogue.  The pace was great, and that's been one of the small issues I've had in past episodes.  

Obviously, the twist is, well... expected though I had no idea it was coming (and I never looked into fan theories, so I presume this was discussed among some?). But had the idea that this was either him still in the hospital from being beaten, or before that all from a mental institution (not that far off from prison I suppose) or some other transference of like, the entire context of what was happening.

This should be a really fun series to re-watch, knowing what is to happen, so as to focus on how we got there differently than waiting for the next rug to be pulled from under your existential understanding of things. 

Next up - what is Phil (E Corp CEO) really up to with Ang? I mean, he knows what's up. It's like some weird dance. 

Is his plan to get her to 'realize' she can indeed become more powerful working on the inside only to then lose herself and her mission by doing so?  Is this is way to let himself and all his and others misdeeds come to light, self destruction? 

What gets him a win there? 

Someone splain me who Craig Robinson is, plz? Binged S1, loved it. S2 bogged down quickly and my ol attention wandered and now i'm lost. Dont care all that much but would like to know. Fill me in like i'm officer pete, anyone?
We don't know yet but assume he works in the prison

I'm guessing he's a psych doctor at the prison, maybe the warden.  He let him get on a computer again as part of his rehabilitation.  I think all the hints were pointing to the prison and am glad that's what it turned out to be even though I've fallen behind and haven't seen the episode yet.  My comments on the previous episode: put me in the camp that didn't like the Alf dream sequence.  It's a classic example of "if it's not broke don't try to fix it".  It did all tie together with the Alf episode playing on the tv when he woke up and the ending of that episode, but, was too much of a departure from the it's regular dark themes which I prefer.   IMO.

I want to love it, but I'm starting to get a "M.Night Shyamalan meets Bobby Ewing coming out of the shower in Dallas" kind of feel when you can't count on anything in the show being real.

It's just hard to invest in it if we can't count on things actually being there.  Is that lady really a shrink, or is she just the bus driver he talks to each morning.  Is there really an E Corp, or is that just the Starbucks he gets his morning coffee from.  Is he actually a computer hacker, or is he just looking up books on the library terminal?

The Mr. Robot thing was cool, and I liked how they laid the foundation about that whole thing.  It made sense.  But to do that season after season seems more like a "HA HA GOTCHA SUCKA" move.  Oh, you thought Tyrell was a corporate exec?  PSYCH!  He's actually the night janitor at the homeless shelter Elliot lives in!!

I love watching the show for the atmosphere...it has a really cool vibe.  But they need to cool it with all the "it is/isn't real" stuff.

I want to love it, but I'm starting to get a "M.Night Shyamalan meets Bobby Ewing coming out of the shower in Dallas" kind of feel when you can't count on anything in the show being real.

It's just hard to invest in it if we can't count on things actually being there.  Is that lady really a shrink, or is she just the bus driver he talks to each morning.  Is there really an E Corp, or is that just the Starbucks he gets his morning coffee from.  Is he actually a computer hacker, or is he just looking up books on the library terminal?

The Mr. Robot thing was cool, and I liked how they laid the foundation about that whole thing.  It made sense.  But to do that season after season seems more like a "HA HA GOTCHA SUCKA" move.  Oh, you thought Tyrell was a corporate exec?  PSYCH!  He's actually the night janitor at the homeless shelter Elliot lives in!!

I love watching the show for the atmosphere...it has a really cool vibe.  But they need to cool it with all the "it is/isn't real" stuff.
Per the article above, and a direct line from the end of this last episode strongly suggests that level of "deception" won't be done again. The big secrets in that regard are out.

Esmail even commented on his concern about viewers losing interest because we can't have a bearing on reality, just as you suggest... so I think we will see different types of twists in the future but not questioning the underlying reality of, well, everything and everyone. 

Furthermore, Esmail was clear that while the viewer is obviously walked down a path that looks nothing like reality, everything that happens in that distorted reality is, indeed, rooted in what actually was happening, to Elliott, in the real world.  Distorted per Elliott's perspective to shield himself (and therefore us) from the truth.  

Funny thing is I was so convinced the theory was complete nonsense during the episode. So Ray was a warden, the other dudes were guards, and then the rapists were prisoners. And Leon worked for the dark army.
I was thinking Ray was Elliot's prison counselor

Interesting thing this season is that for several episodes they basically sidelined the two main characters from last season.  Tyrell has been out and Elliot has been limited by his circumstances.  Angela, who I thought was not one of the strong points in season one has really delivered in season two in terms of her character and the acting.  the improvement is very noticeable.

im a big fan of Michael Cristofer and while he was OK in season one, in season two he is just excellent.  Phillip Price and Angela are the MVPs so far this season.

I'm anxious as anybody for the plot to move forward, but the scenes that some say are too long and the pacing are fine as far as I'm concerned.  I love the ambience of this world, and anything they do to add depth and color to this world by extending things out just makes the experience so much richer.  I can't get enough of this show.

They never said did they?

I'm guessing it's for hacking the guy that was dating the psychologist and no one has any idea he was behind the hack of E Corp. 
It's a complete certainty that no one knows he was behind the hack, as if they did, there's no way he would be getting released after only a couple of months.  (It's now July 2015 in the show's timeline.)  But I hadn't thought about your theory about hacking the cheater dating Krista; that makes a ton of sense given that there was a little scene late in S1 where the cheater, watching a TV about the hack in full progress, saw a news report about the government of Estonia potentially falling.  He previously told Krista that without that government's collapse, no one could prove anything about Elliot's involvement in his hack. 

This would also explain (unfortunately) something else I've been wondering about - what happened to Flipper.  If your theory is right she would have been returned to the cheater, which is sad since he abused her. 

So I had a bit of a personal "backlog" (which included watching S2 of Daredevil, which I loved), and just binged S2 of MR over the past few days. 

It started very slow and through maybe the end of the two-part premiere, I thought the show had lost its way.  (I also had a huge problem with the general absence of both Darlene and Angela from the two-part opener, a problem that has since been remedied massively.)  However, it found its path and in fact, I think I may be enjoying it more than S1 now.  The attack at the hotel was a fantastic, unexpected action sequence right out of a Bourne movie.  I like Little Streep's character a lot.  Angela has been fantastic - her scenes with the palpably evil Price are always terrific.  And unlike many, I'm afraid I do have to admit that I knew Elliot was in prison all along - nothing else made sense, and it was fairly easy to explain almost everything that happened if he was in fact locked up.  It was also easy to explain a lot that didn't happen, like, for example, no one threatening Elliot with a gun. 

I thought that bringing Whiterose back into the story through Leon was genius.  I still can't figure out what really happened to Tyrell but I'm sure we'll get there.  Now that Elliot can hack again I'm looking forward to where the story goes next and can't wait for the next episode. 

Has this thing gotten better?  I watched like the first 3 EPs of S1.

I mean have they gotten rid of Christian Slater yet and made it less stupid?

Has this thing gotten better?  I watched like the first 3 EPs of S1.

I mean have they gotten rid of Christian Slater yet and made it less stupid?
Shtick, right? This show is excellent, and thanks to the above posts breaking down your thoughts on what happened. I had no idea he was in jail :bag: and it all makes sense now.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not that hard. Anytime Elliot is on screen reality is altered. All other scenes are real. When Elliott interacts with others, it's real, just not in the reality shown.  I don't necessarily agree with koya, because after Elliot makes the promise the lights shut off. But, that's part of the fun. 

Seriously?
Never mind. I answered before finishing the episode. I wasn't expecting him to get released. That question hasn't been revealed yet. There are a large number of things he could have been incarcerated for. 

They never said did they?

I'm guessing it's for hacking the guy that was dating the psychologist and no one has any idea he was behind the hack of E Corp. 
 Well that makes me feel a little bit better I like how do I not remember this :lol:

Do you know the answer?
I thought I did, given his realization in the first 5 minutes of the episode.  But they wouldn't release him like that on a murder charge.  How is the theory not exactly right Watson?

It's not that hard. Anytime Elliot is on screen reality is altered. All other scenes are real. When Elliott interacts with others, it's real, just not in the reality shown.  I don't necessarily agree with koya, because after Elliot makes the promise the lights shut off. But, that's part of the fun. 
FWIW, my comments (which are hardly said with any surety considering where this show has gone to date) were based primarily on Esmail's comments about not having another super doozy throw everything into question even reality itself situation again, so as not to lose the viewer's faith in building connections with the show, its characters and plot.

But I'd hardly say anything is out of the realm of possible.  

just watched the last episode and realized i have no clue wtf is going on, then logged in here to see if u guys had the story line figured out like all the other shows, but alas looks like i know as much as it could be known. strange show, i didn't like the first few episodes of S1, loved the end of S1, thought it was interesting at the start of S2, now I'm lost all over again. can't wait for the end of S2 if S3 has already been green lit, should be a fun ride through this love hate relationship.

As someone else posted above, I also think he is in jail for the hack of his therapist's boyfriend.  However, in one of the earlier episodes this season Darlene is meeting with him at what we now know is the jail. I could swear I remember her saying I don't know why you decided to come here or something to that affect. I believe folks considered that dialog a sign that he had put himself in a mental institution.  Also, I'm assuming now that the knock on Elliot's door at the end of season 1 is the cops.

Users who are viewing this thread