What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My life with ADHD (1 Viewer)

I only have A D D ....no hyperactivity ...i cant focus and forget everything...while it sux sometimes its also nice because i dont stay angry about things because i forget what i was angry about lol....so i tend to let a lot of things slide when others might not
That post sounded just like me, so I took the quiz. 30 total = 23 inattention + 7 hyperactivity.

Time to see a doc?

ETA: My "symptoms" aren't new but some of them seem more pronounced since I quit smoking (aka removed the externally supplied stimulant from my brain chemistry).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ADHD - Inattentive Subtype. Was diagnosed like 18 monthsish ago.

I take Straterra. It is the only non-stimulant available to treat ADHD. It works 24/7, unlike Adderall. And its non-addictive.

Its not quite as powerful though. But it has made a big difference for me. GL
Thanks for sharing Hulk. I respect the hell outta you so this news is encouraging.
For me, the main purpose was to make myself a more bearable spouse. I've always been smart enough to cover for it (and my dyslexia) @ work. But it's helped there too.
I'm not suggesting in smart but I've always been smarter then most and get "get by " in almost any field. I just have trouble sustaining and my run and gun attitude gets me in trouble with paperwork.

What's funny is I won't even have a daunting amount of red tape or paperwork to catch up on but it ends up being nearly debilitating in my head. I'll wake up Monday morning at 2AM and don't be able to sleep because all I'll think about is the paperwork that I have to do. I'll get into the office and finish everything that kept me up in 30 minutes.

I know I do this but managing the anxiety over it is still a struggle.

Just took the quiz. Total score was 31, with a 14 inattention, and 17 hyperactivity. Conclusion = Similar to people with symptoms of moderate ADD. One problem, there are only four possible answers for each question. Never, Rarely, Sometimes and Often. All but one of my answers fell in the rarely or sometimes category. Never is an absolute and probably can be thrown out as a possible answer for every question.

Also question why the other end of the spectrum is "Often", and not "Always"

Either way, the test seems like it's skewed and most will fall under the category of similar to symptoms of moderate ADD. See a doctor.
:goodposting:

Took the same test. Scored a 26. Same recommendation. I am also NOT Attention Deficit. I believe that test is very skewed to be honest with you. I believe TOO many people are misdiagnosed with ADHD.

For the record, my son was diagnosed with ADHD 10 years ago. He has been on many different medications and currently has had good results with Strattera. I don't believe that ADHD is "not a real thing" like so many people, but I really do think a lot of people (especially kids) get labeled with that when there are really OTHER problems that are contributing to their problems. It is VERY REAL for those that are truly ADHD.

Do you guys have to see your psychiatrist every month to get another prescription?
I think the presciption covers 2 or 3 refills- at which point it's a good idea to see that doctor regardless (for the first go around). and mine prescribed a higher dosage, which she advised me to then cut in half. Can't remember if that was to save me time with refilling, or because that was the lowest dosage they made... but I think it was the former.

Can (or would) a regular doc might prescribe Straterra since it's non-stimulant and non-addictive? It seems reasonable if the problem is common or obvious.

Can (or would) a regular doc might prescribe Straterra since it's non-stimulant and non-addictive? It seems reasonable if the problem is common or obvious.
I think you'll need to see a psychiatrist. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by your question.

Do you guys have to see your psychiatrist every month to get another prescription?
My family doctor writes me 6 prescriptions each visit. So twice a year. Most good doctors will require you to come back a couple times before they do this to make sure you're not having any side effects or the such.

I had always thought that only a psychiatrist could prescribe ADD meds. When I moved back to PA, I learned that any family doctor can prescribe it.

I was diagnosed with ADD Or maybe ADHD when I was in high school and prescribed Adderall. I took it for awhile but honestly didn't like the way it made me feel. I ended up selling the rest and never refilling it.

I'm 29 now, and feel like it might be time to go back and talk to someone and see if it's something I need to address now. My job is incredibly boring, and thus my mind wanders constantly. I sit in front of a cpu crunching numbers all day in spreadsheets. It wasn't so bad up until the last 6 months or so, but I've run out of new ways to "improve the process" and no new challenges sit in front of me, I've often thought about looking for a new position within the company or even a new job, but wonder if it's maybe something within.

It's starting to have an impact on my relationship, as I often start wandering why my wife is talking, to the point I'm not longer listening but just nodding, and it gets me in trouble later when I can't remember at all what we were even talking about. I've started doing it at work too. Meetings that go on and on and on, and now I've got no idea what we've even talked about for the last 15 minutes... look at the clock, it's be an hour already? wtf?

It never really impacted me in college much, I'd procrastinate, rarely did homework but usually aced all my tests, enough to get two degrees, Math and Psychology (Psychology was a joke, I didn't learn a thing, but I got the 2nd degree so I didn't feel as bad about being in school for 6 years).

I also can not form mental images. I know that sounds strange, and maybe completely unrelated. But I can't "picture" anything at all. I know what things are supposed to look like, but I can not for the life of me recreate it in my mind, like I can't visualize a purple elephant, or even an elephant at all. I'm not sure if this is related because honestly, it wasn't until a post on this board by MT a few months/weeks ago that I even realized it was a thing, I always assumed that no one could actually visualize stuff.

Took the ADHD quiz and these were my results:

http://puu.sh/hkNjK/b488327937.png

Maybe I should go talk to someone.

Yes

My PCP prescribed it for me. I had ADHD as a kid but was not medicated (my mother was way against it).

But - I had gone through all the tests, instead of medication, they just wanted me to skip a grade (they hoped that harder curriculum would curb some of the inability to settle down and I had always gotten straight As)

Anyway, my Dr prescribed it.

However, I wasn't properly supervised with it and after 4 weeks with ZERO effect, I didn't follow up.

I saw a psychiatrist recently to discuss options to help, but she decided that my life would be cured with one of those anti-depression meds. That's the 2nd one that's tried that. I have no depression whatsoever but studies, I was told, show that those Prozac types help curb ADHD and ADHD related anxiety as well.

Bah.

I'd love to give Stratera another shot one day but for now I just live with it. Lucky for me I dont work in an office, otherwise I would absolutely need something.

Side note: I did get to try Adderall as an adult once (friend gave me one). Best #### ever for someone with ADHD, I felt like I could go out and build a house or solve the Voynich Manuscript. Amazing stuff - too bad it's not good for you.

Stratera takes a while to work... it has to build up in your system. Its pretty gradual. I mostly notice the benefits if I stop taking it for a day or two... I notice their absence much more than their presence.

I did a first, while getting the diagnosis and then correct dosage. Now it is twice a year.
My doc told me I would have to schedule a visit for every prescription. The hassle of that combined with feeling like a criminal at the pharmacy has me going without for the past two months. Scheduled another appointment but it's not until the 29th.

I did a first, while getting the diagnosis and then correct dosage. Now it is twice a year.
My doc told me I would have to schedule a visit for every prescription. The hassle of that combined with feeling like a criminal at the pharmacy has me going without for the past two months. Scheduled another appointment but it's not until the 29th.
Maybe they are more cautious with some meds (stimulants) than others (Strattera)? I'm guessing that pharmaceutical regulations may differ by state also.

Any docs or pharmacists here?

Bad doctor, IMO. Just trying to get money from you. Any doctor I've heard from will do at least 3 months of prescriptions. They will post date them and can't be filled until a certain date. My current doctor post dates 6 scripts now.

Laziness is a sign of high intelligence, suggests new study

Couch potatoes rejoice - a new study has found that laziness correlates with high intelligence.

The study, by scientists from Florida Gulf Coast University, found people with a high IQ rarely get bored, leading them to spend more time lost in thought.

It suggested less intelligent people are more prone to boredom, leading them to do more physical activity as a result.

The researchers, led by Todd McElroy, used a psychology test to identify students who expressed a strong desire to think a lot, and those who were more keen to avoid things which were mentally taxing.

All of the participants in the study were then fitted with fitness trackers, which monitored how much they exercised over seven days.

The study found that people who think a lot were far less active between Monday to Friday than those who tended to avoid high-level thinking.

There was, however, no difference over the weekend. Researchers were unable to explain why this might be.

As the sample size was small, and also the time period the study was conducted over, there need to be further tests to conclusively prove this correlation.

"Ultimately, an important factor that may help more thoughtful individuals combat their lower average activity levels is awareness," said Mr McElroy. "Awareness of their tendency to be less active, coupled with an awareness of the cost associated with inactivity. More thoughtful people may then choose to become more active throughout the day."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/laziness-is-a-sign-of-high-intelligence-suggests-new-study/

I somehow missed this thread. In 2013, I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar II and adult ADHD. I am still not sure whether I am Bi-Polar or just chronic depression, but have always had had trouble concentrating, lack of focus and direction. 

I was prescribed Ritalin and that worked great for a while, but I think the dosage wasn't high enough and I slipped into old habits and was fired from my last job. We tried adderall to see if that would give better results. Only took it for four days. Had a good side effect of appetite suppression, but it left me light headed and I had trouble peeing.

I am currently not taking any medication for ADHD. I went to a new psychiatrist last week but she held off prescribing anything for ADHD.

I just don't want to be angry anymore when I can't finish or even start a task.

Any other ADHD medications besides Adderall and Ritalin that people have tried and had success with? 

Actually fwiw I have a brother in law - who happens to be good friend - has ADHD, pretty sure he's been diagnosed. He is a great guy but I recognize a lot of these problems in him. The frustration, occasional anger and perplexed inability to discuss things rationally past a certain point or move forward with his life are issues.

I guess if anyone has any advice on how to work with him reasonably to help him move forward would be appreciated.. I will read this thread some more with interest. Primarily I would like to find a way to talk with him to help him break through and improve his life. TIA.

My son was diagnosed with severe ADHD and sensory processing disorder at 3. He qualified for two years of pre-school in our school districts' early learning program. He's now almost 7 and is starting first grade in a few weeks. In Kindergarten, he split his time between a normal K class, and the school's STARS program.

Ages 4 and 5 were really tough. Constant tantrums, lashing out episodes (sometimes physical); he really struggled to stay still, focus and interact with others in behavior indicative of his age,

However, over the last year to year and a half, the development in his behavior and social skills has been remarkable. He's really grown into the wonderful little boy he's always been, but without so much of the negative behavior. It's been a tough, but amazing journey, and I just wanted to say to those parents that might be struggling with the hard times of young ones with behavioral issues, it does, and most likely will get better.

badmojo1006 said:
I somehow missed this thread. In 2013, I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar II and adult ADHD. I am still not sure whether I am Bi-Polar or just chronic depression, but have always had had trouble concentrating, lack of focus and direction. 

I was prescribed Ritalin and that worked great for a while, but I think the dosage wasn't high enough and I slipped into old habits and was fired from my last job. We tried adderall to see if that would give better results. Only took it for four days. Had a good side effect of appetite suppression, but it left me light headed and I had trouble peeing.

I am currently not taking any medication for ADHD. I went to a new psychiatrist last week but she held off prescribing anything for ADHD.

Any other ADHD medications besides Adderall and Ritalin that people have tried and had success with? 
Vyvanse. It's processed through the stomach, so you don't get the high. 

I'm currently going through ADHD stuff, and could get into it later, but am holding off until an appointment I have with a doctor on the 25th.  

Actually fwiw I have a brother in law - who happens to be good friend - has ADHD, pretty sure he's been diagnosed. He is a great guy but I recognize a lot of these problems in him. The frustration, occasional anger and perplexed inability to discuss things rationally past a certain point or move forward with his life are issues.

I guess if anyone has any advice on how to work with him reasonably to help him move forward would be appreciated.. I will read this thread some more with interest. Primarily I would like to find a way to talk with him to help him break through and improve his life. TIA.
The first thing I would recommend is not trying to "help him move forward", as that is such a complex and nuanced treatment best left to the professionals. Instead, learning more about your BIL's particular challenges and what you can best do to support and communicate with him is, at least in my very humble opinion, a better way to look at things. The communication part is really key; at least in our case with our son. Being able to identify what he's trying to express, in his own way, has been by far the most challenging aspect of the disorder.

Please feel free to PM me if there's anything specific you have questions about; we've experienced a wide range of different behaviors with our son who has ADHD/SPD.

The first thing I would recommend is not trying to "help him move forward", as that is such a complex and nuanced treatment best left to the professionals. Instead, learning more about your BIL's particular challenges and what you can best do to support and communicate with him is, at least in my very humble opinion, a better way to look at things. The communication part is really key; at least in our case with our son. Being able to identify what he's trying to express, in his own way, has been by far the most challenging aspect of the disorder.

Please feel free to PM me if there's anything specific you have questions about; we've experienced a wide range of different behaviors with our son who has ADHD/SPD.
Thanks, man, I've actually refrained from doing that to date. I have thought about having a heart to heart with him, probably over beers, just him and me. I'd just like to help him as I can see he's stuck. When we talk (and we do get along) he largely blames others and claims that people don't listen to him. So in the end the way he frames it it's unfixable. I leave it alone generally and then move on to sports and just general topics. Maybe I will just tell him that if he wants to talk and have someone listen, I will do that, and keep to that. Good advice I think, thanks.

In a twist of irony, I can't remember the name of the alternative ADHD medication I previously took.  I do know it was the only non-stimulant one.  Search my posts in this thread, it's got to be there.

Anyways, it worked well for helping my memory problems.

I've stopped taking it though as it was damn expensive and my insurance didn't cover it for some reason. 

As for not finishing something you've started, that feels like the opposite of what I have.  I get hyperfocused on things actually.  But to the detriment of everything else.  Kinda weird.  Anyways, I manage life well enough by having reminders on my outlook and android for everything under the sun.  Helps a lot.

I've had some success using CBT therapy and physical exercise.

Laziness is a sign of high intelligence, suggests new study

Sometimes laziness is virtue.

Three Virtues

According to Larry Wall(1), the original author of the Perl programming language, there are three great virtues of a programmer; Laziness, Impatience and Hubris

1. Laziness: The quality that makes you go to great effort to reduce overall energy expenditure. It makes you write labor-saving programs that other people will find useful and document what you wrote so you don't have to answer so many questions about it.
  2. Impatience: The anger you feel when the computer is being lazy. This makes you write programs that don't just react to your needs, but actually anticipate them. Or at least pretend to.
  3. Hubris: The quality that makes you write (and maintain) programs that other people won't want to say bad things about.

I just learned that my adult son was recently diagnosed with ADD. He's always been really intelligent, personable and goal oriented but since treatment he's taken it to another level. According to his mother the doc says that it's an hereditary trait--and that she's not the carrier. That would mean it's me. Dammmmmit.

In hindsight I guess there's signs--but on the face of it I've always been one of the smoothest operators that most folks know. I don't rest much, having gone with a one-cycle sleep pattern (four hours) for the last 45 years--apparently that's a symptom. And especially lately I seem to overlook something every day, which I've always attributed to a perpetually frenetic and nonstop schedule. So...I've got a doctor's appointment in two months, and we'll see if maybe it's not too late to smooth things out a bit.

I just learned that my adult son was recently diagnosed with ADD. He's always been really intelligent, personable and goal oriented but since treatment he's taken it to another level. According to his mother the doc says that it's an hereditary trait--and that she's not the carrier. That would mean it's me. Dammmmmit.

In hindsight I guess there's signs--but on the face of it I've always been one of the smoothest operators that most folks know. I don't rest much, having gone with a one-cycle sleep pattern (four hours) for the last 45 years--apparently that's a symptom. And especially lately I seem to overlook something every day, which I've always attributed to a perpetually frenetic and nonstop schedule. So...I've got a doctor's appointment in two months, and we'll see if maybe it's not too late to smooth things out a bit.
Good luck, glumpy. Hope things are indeed smooth. Good to see you checking back in.  

Peace, 

RA 

GL glumpy. Still in the taqueria biz?

Straterra, that was it.  Only non-stimulant drug to treat ADHD.
i recommend trying variations, and if you have a kid diagnosed helping the doctor track the effects of the medication. I have heard a few in here recommend Stratera. Man did that one not work for me, i tried it twice and threw the bottle out. Made me real angry. I only kind of realized it, luckily i caught on kind of quick. But everybody is different

Resurrecting this thread to give another endorsement for Vyvanse.  It's the most effective stimulant I've been on, and it doesn't make me feel wired like Adderall.  It also has the added benefit of completely destroying your appetite. 

I have been a mess with focus lately.   I think I'm just busy and burned out.  My A.D.D. was been pushing me into depression on almost a daily basis.  Thank god winter is coming.

Resurrecting this thread to give another endorsement for Vyvanse.  It's the most effective stimulant I've been on, and it doesn't make me feel wired like Adderall.  It also has the added benefit of completely destroying your appetite. 
Isn't it pretty much the same active ingredients as Adderall?  I did a month of it, didn't find it that different that the generic Adderall outside of being more expensive.

In a twist of irony, I can't remember the name of the alternative ADHD medication I previously took.  I do know it was the only non-stimulant one.  Search my posts in this thread, it's got to be there.

Anyways, it worked well for helping my memory problems.

I've stopped taking it though as it was damn expensive and my insurance didn't cover it for some reason. 

As for not finishing something you've started, that feels like the opposite of what I have.  I get hyperfocused on things actually.  But to the detriment of everything else.  Kinda weird.  Anyways, I manage life well enough by having reminders on my outlook and android for everything under the sun.  Helps a lot.
Just to update this, I now take 10 mg of Adderall twice and day and wouldn't go back.  I'm a better me on this stuff, noticeably better.

Isn't it pretty much the same active ingredients as Adderall?  I did a month of it, didn't find it that different that the generic Adderall outside of being more expensive.
Adderall contains two amphetamine salts.  Vyvanse contains a compound which the body breaks down into amphetamine salts.  I'm not a chemist, and I can't compare the two drugs back to back because I hadn't been on Addreall in a while.  But Vyvanse consistently gives me the focus that I sometimes felt with Adderall without making me jittery and giving me a crash feeling.

On the other hand, while I don't crash, my ADHD symptoms are probably even more pronounced in the time the Vyvanse wears off.  For me, that means evening binge eating.  I'll eat nothing during the day, but go a bit nuts after I get my kids down.  So I'm trying to titrate up (I'm on a very low dose right now).   I imagine that using the non extended release Adderall in the afternoon to prevent the effect from wearing off might also work well. 

I also occasionally (once every week or 10 days or so) have a bout of insomnia. 

I might feel differently once I'm paying the higher cost (we had a baby this year, and maxed out our deductible so I'm paying nothing right now).

I've had that late night binge urge with both meds.

You know what works, and helps me get to sleep... glass of OJ.  I read somewhere that it would help and strangely it does. 

Users who are viewing this thread