What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Miniature Christmas Tree And New Year's Snow Globes (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
So during the holiday season, there are two little material treats that I have for myself. (This is so emo.) I have a little miniature Christmas tree that lights up when plugged in, and a Waterford crystal snow globe that one shakes and sees the snowflakes all aflutter, to and fro, while the song "Auld Lang Syne" plays in the background when you wind it up appropriately.

Not much, these things, but they're holiday and vacation day favorites, and they've become sentimental to me. The first object (the tree) has special value as it was the tree that my mother brought to me in the hospital when my arm got infected and I was in dire straits as far as continued body integrity went. This infection happened right before the holidays when everybody was busy decorating, so she thought my hospital room needed something besides industrial drear and she brought it by and it cheered me up greatly. I was released without a problem, came home, but took a special liking to the little artificial mini-tree.

The snow globe is of a different variety. Purchased at the big box store Home Goods, it's just a wintry scene with crystal buildings laid out like a city, but it plays a delightful song in a sort of music box way. Shake it and the whole thing becomes bedazzled with fake snow and high-pitched song. Very much heavy on the treble and high end of things, it could be cloying, but I wind it up, shake it, and thus am cheered through the holidays.

But this year, the tree doesn't light up, it looks sparse in its artificial branches, and I've been unable to locate the globe. Which leads me to wonder, somehow, what they'll mean to me when either I or my family is gone, separated by distance or by health, or by firmness of mind, or death, even. What will these trinkets mean and will they remind me of anything good, or will I just curse the memories and my loneliness?

Which brings me to this board. I get a lot of things out of it. I get camaraderie, intellectual stimulation, ifriendship. I get a ton. But I also get a sense of loss these holidays. Lately, I've begun to read a lot of old threads that I started (hoo boy) and that people have commented on. But the people aren't here any longer. Either pursuit of different ends, or disagreement with the way things are run, natural drifting apart from a mode of communication, or health, or death has taken them and I no longer have them as confidants, as people to pow-wow with, as friends, even. All these proverbial mini-trees and snow globes that once brought me joy, gathered there, no longer lighting up, having moved on.

So I'm a little depressed this December 15th. If you're reading and haven't stopped by for a while, I do hope you'll stop and say hello. If you can't, or won't, then that's also okay. Just know that you are missed, that your indelible mark lingers on. If my tone leaves any indication, I hope it leaves the true impression that your passing in the night leaves no bad memories nor ill will, but I would like you to know that it is a bit lonelier here, and God knows your presence is missed here and elsewhere. You once likely were responsible for a clarification of a point or thought I might have had, at times a joke once lightening the day up, a happiness once earnestly felt and remembered.

God Bless you all. Peace.

Last edited:
So during the holiday season, I have two little material treats that I have for myself. (This is so emo.) I have a little miniature Christmas tree that lights up when plugged in, and a Waterford crystal snow globe that one shakes and sees the snowflakes all aflutter, to and fro, while the song "Auld Lang Syne" plays in the background when you wind it up appropriately. 

Not much, these things, but they're holiday and vacation day favorites, and they've become sentimental to me. The first object (the tree) has special value as it was the tree that my mother brought to me in the hospital when my arm got infected and I was in dire straits. It happened right before the holidays when everybody was busy decorating, so she thought my hospital room needed something besides industrial drear and she brought it by and it cheered me up greatly. I was released without a problem, came home, but took a special liking to the little artificial mini-tree. 

The snow globe is of a different variety. Purchased at the big box store Home Goods, it's just a wintry scene with crystal buildings laid out like a city, but it plays a delightful song in a sort of music box way. Shake it and the whole thing become bedazzled with fake snow and high-pitched song. Very much heavy on the treble and high end of things, it could be cloying, but I wind it up, shake it, and thus am cheered through the holidays. 

But this year, the tree doesn't light up, it looks sparse in its artificial branches, and I've been unable to locate the globe. Which leads me to wonder, somehow, what they'll mean to me when either I or my family is gone, separated by distance or by health, or by firmness of mind, or death, even. What will these trinkets mean and will they remind me of anything good, or will I just curse the memories and my loneliness? 

Which brings me to this board. I get a lot of things out of it. I get camaraderie, intellectual stimulation, ifriendship. I get a ton. But I also get a sense of loss these holidays. Lately, I've begun to read a lot of old threads that I started (hoo boy) and that people have commented on. But the people aren't here any longer. Either pursuit of different ends, or disagreement with the way things are run, natural drifting apart from a mode of communication, or health, or death has taken them and I no longer have them as confidants, as people to pow-wow with, as friends, even. All these proverbial mini-trees and snow globes that once brought me joy, gathered there, no longer lighting up, having moved on. 

So I'm a little depressed this December 15th. If you're reading and haven't stopped by for a while, I do hope you'll stop and say hello. If you can't, or won't, then that's also okay. Just know that you are missed, that your indelible mark lingers on. If it's any indication, your passing in the night leaves no bad memories nor ill will, but I would like you to know that it is a bit lonelier here, and God knows your presence is missed here and elsewhere, a clarification of a point for thought, at times, a joke once lightening the day up, a happiness once earnestly felt and remembered. 

Very poignant post - I too think of things like this ever so often.

I've concluded this is a function of age - at this point of our lives we've all experienced loss of some kind. And it shows itself it many things - people, traditions, keepsakes - whatever it is. But those things can also carry good memories (also some bad). And those are the fabric of our lives. It's neither good or bad - it just is.

As I get older I tell myself to look around and make sure you enjoy the now because it's still really, really important. All the while taking a minute to smile about all the good my life has seen. And be excited about what it yet to come.

My grandfather was very good at this - he taught me that no matter how old you are there is always something good to look forward to. So I've tried to take that to heart and focus more on the positive of life and "what's next".

Anyway - thanks for posting that. For me it's a reminder to appreciate what's around me and look to the future. Hope you can find peace and happiness this holiday season.

:)

I'll happily ship you a tree, rock.  Every year, we (meaning Mrs. Scorchy) get a real one for the family room and put up a fake one (or two) other places.  Somehow, every November, my wife seems to forget that we already have a forest of fake trees in storage and buys a new one.  When I cleaned out the basement over the summer, I counted 7 fake trees of various sizes.  But hey, at least she likes Fugazi. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll happily ship you a tree, rock.  Every year, we (meaning Mrs. Scorchy) get a real one for the family room and put up a fake one (or two) other places.  Somehow, every November, my wife seems to forget that we already a forest of fake trees in storage and buys a new one.  When I cleaned out the basement over the summer, I counted 7 fake trees of various sizes.  But hey, at least she likes Fugazi. 
I appreciate the offer and might just take you up on it if my mini tree won't light or its branches remain sort of obdurately stuck together. A little intricate finagling and care might be all it needs, though. We'll find out later today or tonight. 

The Fugazi thing is definitely a bonus in Mrs. Scorchy's favor and should override any allegations or suspicions of tree malfeasance or treatment. 

Just don't let the poor, inanimate dears go neglected. This is their season to shine! 

As I get older I tell myself to look around and make sure you enjoy the now because it's still really, really important. All the while taking a minute to smile about all the good my life has seen. And be excited about what it yet to come.
I like this. I'd like to be in the now, too, but my mind invariably slips to the past or to the future, and I get a little worried. So this is a good reminder. Live in the now. 

Hope you can find peace and happiness this holiday season
I'm pretty sure I will. I wish the same for you and yours. 

You should find a nice fussy, extravagant young man to fawn over & civilize you, like women used to do.

Maybe stop listening to the shapeless, nihilistic spew that scratches your id til it's raw and drowns out your personal noise. Some Haydn quartets, perhaps, or big band swing.

Remember - mastering unhappiness does not equal happiness.

We love you, rocky. I love you. Merry Christmas and my best wishes for a happy & healthy 2021.

We didn't want to have kids, and we're never home for Christmas, so we, too, are team mini-tree:thumbup:  

It's about 3' tall and sits on a table. We have a handful of small sentimental ornament we hang from it  (mostly made by our nieces/nephews) in addition to the pre-installed colored lights. We plug it in at night. Unplug it before bed. Gets folded up into a bag and placed in the attic when we get home from wherever we are for Christmas. 

Kudos to those who go nuts... not our jam. :)  

As to the "Fading" component... sometimes it's best to release yourself from the bindings of older traditions and open your mind to new ones. You don't have to fully let go, but you don't have to shoehorn them into the same image and scope that they may have once been.

The only constant is change, my friend. Embrace it and ride the wave. If you're in a rut... TRAVEL. 

Slainte  :banned:  

wikkidpissah said:
Maybe stop listening to the shapeless, nihilistic spew that scratches your id til it's raw and drowns out your personal noise. Some Haydn quartets, perhaps, or big band swing.
There was a time in my life where I'd had enough of rock lyrics. I listened to post-rock non-stop and through the end of days. I wound up often more emotional than I did with traditional rock and roll, country, you name it, and lyrics, so I just eventually went back. Plus, the standard bearers of the post-rock genre hit their apex around 2007, and it was all downhill. Only so much you can do with limited chops. But for a moment, Haydn quartets and other older forms of music that were wordless were in order. 

wikkidpissah said:
We love you, rocky. I love you. Merry Christmas and my best wishes for a happy & healthy 2021.

And I love you also, wikkid. Happy Holidays and best wishes in return. Here's to a fulfilling 2021! 

rockaction said:
So during the holiday season, I have two little material treats that I have for myself. (This is so emo.) I have a little miniature Christmas tree that lights up when plugged in, and a Waterford crystal snow globe that one shakes and sees the snowflakes all aflutter, to and fro, while the song "Auld Lang Syne" plays in the background when you wind it up appropriately. 

Not much, these things, but they're holiday and vacation day favorites, and they've become sentimental to me. The first object (the tree) has special value as it was the tree that my mother brought to me in the hospital when my arm got infected and I was in dire straits. It happened right before the holidays when everybody was busy decorating, so she thought my hospital room needed something besides industrial drear and she brought it by and it cheered me up greatly. I was released without a problem, came home, but took a special liking to the little artificial mini-tree. 

The snow globe is of a different variety. Purchased at the big box store Home Goods, it's just a wintry scene with crystal buildings laid out like a city, but it plays a delightful song in a sort of music box way. Shake it and the whole thing become bedazzled with fake snow and high-pitched song. Very much heavy on the treble and high end of things, it could be cloying, but I wind it up, shake it, and thus am cheered through the holidays. 

So I'm a little depressed this December 15th. If you're reading and haven't stopped by for a while, I do hope you'll stop and say hello. If you can't, or won't, then that's also okay. Just know that you are missed, that your indelible mark lingers on. If it's any indication, your passing in the night leaves no bad memories nor ill will, but I would like you to know that it is a bit lonelier here, and God knows your presence is missed here and elsewhere, a clarification of a point for thought, at times, a joke once lightening the day up, a happiness once earnestly felt and remembered. 

Sending good vibes your way rock 

Hoping you have a great Christmas my friend!

Hey bud :bye:  always like your posts and hope you have an enjoyable holiday season. If you’re ever gloomy, or even if not, PMs are always open. 

You're one of my favorites around here, rock.  Don't ever change and don't ever leave.  
Thanks, shuke. I feel the same way about you. This place would be so much the lesser if you weren't around. 

Peace, man. Happy holidays to you and yours. 

Hey bud :bye:  always like your posts and hope you have an enjoyable holiday season. If you’re ever gloomy, or even if not, PMs are always open. 
Thanks, Cappy. I appreciate you also. Thanks for the PM offer. I may take you up on it someday. 

Happy holidays, bud. 

Tonight is a good night, as was the last one. I don't want to seem to mawkish or maudlin -- I seriously was just reading some old threads and missing some people that were once such a presence here, and therefore, in my life.

There was a writer named James Salter who passed recently, maybe less than a decade ago. I used to read his works, and he was one of the best, yet most unknown writers of the previous generation. But a "writer's writer," they called him. He wrote a novel called Light Years. In it, he made time's passage the actual protagonist of the novel. Everything else, in this novel which was centered around a family, seemed at remove except for the relentless churning of time, bringing people, things, and events in and out of focus in the character's lives. They were naturally egocentric (we all are) and the reader wondered exactly what was driving the novel until an astute critic elucidated it. It was time. That was the protagonist. 

And time has passed since I've been on the board. Different people and things have come into and out of focus here in my life. This is just a response to the relentless passage of time, is all. Tonight is a good night. 

Good evening, folks. 

Without darkness we can not appreciate light.

Without suffering we can not appreciate happiness.

Appreciate the memories of the good things, appreciate what you have today, appreciate your time on earth and those you have shared it with. Appreciate the hard times that make the easy times so much sweeter. 

Merry Christmas Rock, I wish you the worst of times so you can enjoy the best of times ;)

Without darkness we can not appreciate light.

Without suffering we can not appreciate happiness.

Appreciate the memories of the good things, appreciate what you have today, appreciate your time on earth and those you have shared it with. Appreciate the hard times that make the easy times so much sweeter. 

Merry Christmas Rock, I wish you the worst of times so you can enjoy the best of times ;)
That’s cooler than you might think. I will be sure to enjoy the light now. Thanks, Dezbelief. Happy Holidays to you. 

a long time ago when my little angel was younger she wanted a desk for christmas and times were tight because me and my lady were just starting out ourselves and my angel sort of gave up on it and said quote it would never fit under the tree anyhow endquote but i searched all over and by some miracle a wealthy family on lake drive was damn near giving away a desk better than anything i could have ever bought new so i borrowed a trailer and some buddies and we hid it in a friends garage until showtime and my buddies heard the story about it not fitting under the tree so they got a mini tree and we put it on top of the desk so that on christmas  morning my angel had a desk under the tree and she got the dad joke right away that ole santa had played on her and it made me so happy and we still have that tree and we put it out every christmas and it makes me smile to see it and think of that story take that to the bank brohans 

a long time ago when my little angel was younger she wanted a desk for christmas and times were tight because me and my lady were just starting out ourselves and my angel sort of gave up on it and said quote it would never fit under the tree anyhow endquote but i searched all over and by some miracle a wealthy family on lake drive was damn near giving away a desk better than anything i could have ever bought new so i borrowed a trailer and some buddies and we hid It in a friends garage until showtime and my buddies heard the story about it not fitting under the tree so they got a mini tree and we put it on top of the desk so that on christmas  morning my angel had a desk under the tree and she got the dad joke right away that ole santa had played on her and it made me so happy and we still have that tree and we put it out every christmas and it makes me smile to see it and think of that story take that to the bank brohans 
:)  🥲 way to be brohan

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
a long time ago when my little angel was younger she wanted a desk for christmas and times were tight because me and my lady were just starting out ourselves and my angel sort of gave up on it and said quote it would never fit under the tree anyhow endquote but i searched all over and by some miracle a wealthy family on lake drive was damn near giving away a desk better than anything i could have ever bought new so i borrowed a trailer and some buddies and we hid it in a friends garage until showtime and my buddies heard the story about it not fitting under the tree so they got a mini tree and we put it on top of the desk so that on christmas  morning my angel had a desk under the tree and she got the dad joke right away that ole santa had played on her and it made me so happy and we still have that tree and we put it out every christmas and it makes me smile to see it and think of that story take that to the bank brohans 
Man that’s a good story bromigo

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
That’s a great tree and looks nice, thank you for sharing!  The Snoopy stuffed animal brought back some very fond memories for me.  I had a very similar looking Snoopy as a child, it was my security “blanket” and I took it everywhere.  I actually don’t remember too much about the Snoopy, but the stories my mom and sisters tell about how gross it became are priceless to me.  Apparently I wouldn’t let mom wash Snoopy because I thought he might drown.   He became quite dingy and matted compared to my sisters very clean, always washed Belle (Snoopy’s sister).   Thank you rock for all the posts you make around here and for stoking this memory for me. Happy New Year!

I find that when I am down around the holidays it's best to give........so on that note if you want to give Micah Parsons, Ja'Marr Chase, or Patty Mahomes I am here for you!

That’s a great tree and looks nice, thank you for sharing!  The Snoopy stuffed animal brought back some very fond memories for me.  I had a very similar looking Snoopy as a child, it was my security “blanket” and I took it everywhere.  I actually don’t remember too much about the Snoopy, but the stories my mom and sisters tell about how gross it became are priceless to me.  Apparently I wouldn’t let mom wash Snoopy because I thought he might drown.   He became quite dingy and matted compared to my sisters very clean, always washed Belle (Snoopy’s sister).   Thank you rock for all the posts you make around here and for stoking this memory for me. Happy New Year!
My cousin had a Spike that he carried everywhere. It was so dirty. Heh. I remember that. We took him on a trip to California and he carried the darn thing everywhere. My older brother and his brother (my older cousin) were not so amused by the stuffed animal going everywhere. There was dissension in the ranks about the pup. Arguments were had. A resolution came to be! I forget what it was...but yeah, I can relate to that dirty Snoopy stuffed animal. Back then, those things were expensive, or so it seemed! 

Thank you for the kind words, Lion. That's cool to hear. Happy New Year in return! 

Putting up the tree a bit early this year. Needs lights again, but I'm sure we'll find them. I'm having similar holiday feelings about people that left us or, more finally, have departed -- people that commented in this very thread. Another year, glad to be up and about and grateful for a whole lot of things.

It's starting to be the season, anyway.

Happy Holidays to all.

Putting up the tree a bit early this year. Needs lights again, but I'm sure we'll find them. I'm having similar holiday feelings about people that left us or, more finally, have departed -- people that commented in this very thread. Another year, glad to be up and about and grateful for a whole lot of things.

It's starting to be the season, anyway.

Happy Holidays to all.

First time reading this thread. Definitely got dusty in here. Appreciate you Rock.

Hey, it's a new year and I never updated from when I was feeling gloomy that year.

Well, wikkid has passed and some of the people that post have had some rough patches in their own lives.

It is to them that I dedicate this little photo. It makes me happy. I hope it makes you all smile a bit at your own potential for happiness and grace this Christmas and New Year.

Turn audio on for song. Bless you all.

Hey, it's a new year and I never updated from when I was feeling gloomy that year.

Well, wikkid has passed and some of the people that post have had some rough patches in their own lives.

It is to them that I dedicate this little photo. It makes me happy. I hope it makes you all smile a bit at your own potential for happiness and grace this Christmas and New Year.

Turn audio on for song. Bless you all.

That's the cutest baby Christmas tree I've ever seen, and the sweetest sounding snow globe I've ever heard. I didn't see this thread in the past. I can see why the tree and globe bring you holiday happiness. Thanks for sharing your special holiday cheer and love. Happy Holidays to you and Snoopy. Love you, rock. 🎄 :heart:

That's the cutest baby Christmas tree I've ever seen, and the sweetest sounding snow globe I've ever heard. I didn't see this thread in the past. I can see why the tree and globe bring you holiday happiness. Thanks for sharing your special holiday cheer and love. Happy Holidays to you and Snoopy. Love you, rock. 🎄 :heart:

Thanks, simey. Happy Holidays from us to you. Love you, too.🎄❤️

I hate to be "that guy" but I count multiple snow globes. Please update title.

Hoard, with everyone as my witness, the title has been changed.

I inherit a snow globe every other Christmas or so from my mother. The original is the only one that winds up and plays music, but I enjoy the others, too.
Yesterday I was actually thinking about snow globes. I haven't had one in a long time. makes me think of being a kid. Next year, definitely going to get one for my office, home and for gift giving.

makes me think of being a kid.

Very cool. Mine actually just reminds me that my mother is still here and thinking of me. I never had any deep attachments to the globes as a kid, but I like it now. It should light up, too. Not sure why it's not in that photo. Perhaps it's just on its last legs, but I think it might just need batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread