What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE or DEN will win because... (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
Does NE win because they have won 3 out of 4 SB's, and Brady is 10-0 in the playoffs?

Does Denver win because they are playing at 5,280 feet above sea level, coming off of a bye week, in front of 76,000 rabid fans?

Does NE win because they can shut down Bell/Anderson/Dayne?

Does Denver win because their WR's match up better with NE DB's?

Does NE win because Brady matches up better with Denver's DB's?

Does Denver win because they have done a better job of protecting the ball in 2005?

Does NE win because they have done a better job pf protecting the ball in the playoffs?

I haven't picked a winner yet. I am obviously a Denver homer, so you know where my heart will be on Saturday. But, objectively looking at this game, I can't pull the trigger on picking a winner. I need a reason why one team will win over another.

Arguements that I will NOT accept include:

"Team A is better than team B" - looking at the last 8 weeks, I say it's a dead heat. Arguements could be made that either team finished stronger, this debate belongs here.

"Coach A is better than coach B". One is a offensive mastermind, the other is a defensive genius. Both have suceeded and both are at different stages of their coaching career. This topic debate belongs here.

With the game three days away, I am on the edge of my seat in anticipation. I just can't get enough discussion on this. I can't be effective at work, my wife is angry I am spending so much time on the internet, reading about this game, Heck, I even had a dream about the game last night (didn't get to the end of the game, unfortunately).

I think the Patriots will win this game because...These two teams are so evenly matched in every facet of the game, that I believe the game is gonna turn on a mistake. And Jake Plummer hasn't shown the "cool under pressure" aspect of his game yet, like Tom has."Mr. Plummer? There's a Mr. McGinest here to see you."

One major reason New England will win the QB/secondary matchup battle with Denver....Champ Bailey can only cover ONE guy. So he'll take ONE guy out of the Pats formula. Brady threw TDs to an NFL record TWELVE different guys this season. When Bailey is able to cover 12 different guys at once then I'll change my position. I cant wait to see who Bailey shuts down Saturday....because that'll be the Pats player that gets the game ball. You know, its a team thing.

if plummer has to win the game, they won't win. he will make mistakes.denver absolutely has to run the ball and get in the endzone doing it.this should be a very close game, and low scoring, with denver on top for most of it.but late, when denver needs to sustain a drive, they won't. and brady will march down the field...vinateri game winner.

Some tidbits I just got in an email. No source was cited in the email, not sure who to credit. PLAYOFF WINNING STREAKThe Patriots have set the NFL's all-time record for consecutive playoff victories, having won 10 consecutive playoff games. The Patriots surpassed previous record set by the Green Bay Packers, when their Vince Lombardi coached teams won nine straight playoff games from 1961-67. The Patriots have not lost a playoff game since Jan. 3, 1999, when they dropped a 25-10 decision to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a Wild Card Weekend game in Jacksonville. Since then, the Patriots have gone 10-0 in the playoffs and have won Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX.BIG WILLIE STYLEWillie McGinest set an NFL single-game playoff record with 4.5 sacks tonight, surpassing the previous record of 3.5, shared by Washington's Rich Milot (1984) and Chicago's Richard Dent (1985). McGinest's 4.5 sacks brings his career total to 16.0 playoff sacks, setting an all-time NFL record, surpassing Bruce Smith's total of 13.5. Tonight marked McGinest's second career playoff game in which he registered three or more sacks, joining his triple-sack performance against Tennessee in the 2003 divisional playoffs (1/10/04). McGinest played in his 17th career playoff game tonight (a Patriots record). In his regular season career, McGinest has recorded a total of 78.0 sacks, good for third on the team's all-time sacks list and tying him for the lead among active NFL linebackers (tied with teammate Chad Brown).SCORING STREAK BY GIVENSDavid Givens grabbed a 3-yard touchdown pass from Tom Brady with 7:19 left in the third quarter to give the Patriots a 14-3 lead. Givens has now caught a touchdown pass in six consecutive playoff games, the second longest such streak in NFL history. John Stallworth of the Pittsburgh Steelers holds the NFL record with a touchdown catch in eight straight playoff games from 1978-83. Givens, who is playing in his seventh career playoff game tonight, has caught a touchdown in each of his last six postseason contests dating back to the 2003 AFC Championship Game. Givens' six career playoff touchdowns are the most in Patriots history - twice as many receiving scores as the next closest player (Stanley Morgan, 3) and one more total touchdown than Curtis Martin (5).TOUCHDOWN TOMMYTom Brady improved his career playoff record to 10-0, recording the longest playoff winning streak by a quarterback in NFL history, surpassing Green Bay's Bart Starr (9 straight wins from 1961-67). Brady threw three touchdown passes tonight and recorded a 116.4 passer rating, the second highest of his playoff career (130.5 at PIT on 1/23/05). With his three touchdown passes tonight, Tom Brady has now recorded 14 career playoff touchdowns with just three interceptions. Brady has thrown just three career playoff interceptions while attempting 331 postseason passes. His playoff rate of one interception per 110 attempts is an NFL record.POSTSEASON PROWESSBill Belichick is the winningest head coach in NFL playoff history. With the Patriots' victory in Super Bowl XXXIX, Belichick eclipsed Vince Lombardi, the man whose name is emblazoned on the Super Bowl trophy. Coach Belichick has won 10 playoff games in a row, surpassing the NFL-record streak set by Lombardi's Packers, who won nine straight playoff games from 1961-67. Belichick is a perfect 10-0 in the postseason as head coach of the Patriots.BIG BENJAMINBenjamin Watson created the longest touchdown pass play in Patriots postseason history when he grabbed a pass from Tom Brady and raced diagonally across the field for a 63-yard scoring catch and a 21-3 Patriots lead. The 63-yard scoring catch beat the previous long of 60 yards on a reception by Deion Branch from Brady in last season's AFC Championship Game (1/27/05). The catch was Watson's first career playoff touchdown in his first career playoff game. Watson led the team in receptions with five catches for 91 yards, the best single-game performance of his career. His previous best was his 4-catch, 66-yard performance against New Orleans on Nov. 20.ASANTE SAMUEL SCORESCornerback Asante Samuel picked off a Byron Leftwich pass and returned it 73 yards for a touchdown and a 28-3 Patriots lead. It was the fourth interception return for a touchdown in Patriots playoff history (Rodney Harrison on 1/23/05; Ty Law on 2/3/01; Todd Collins on 12/28/97). The return was the second longest in Patriots playoff history, trailing only Harrison's 87-yard touchdown return in the 2004 AFC Championship Game. For Samuel, it was the third interception return for a touchdown in his three-year career and his first interception in the playoffs. Samuel also returned interceptions for touchdowns on Sept. 21, 2003 against the N.Y. Jets and also on Dec. 12, 2004 against Cincinnati.MR. TURNOVEREugene Wilson forced a fumble with a big hit on Jacksonville running back Alvin Pearman in the second quarter, and Richard Seymour pounced on the loose ball to give the Patriots possession. The takeaway was the fourth for Wilson in his last three playoff games, including tonight. He also recorded two interceptions in the 2004 AFC Championship Game and forced a fumble (that was recovered by Randall Gay) in Super Bowl XXXIX.TOUCHDOWN FOR BROWNWide receiver Troy Brown recorded his second career playoff touchdown reception on an 11-yard grab from Tom Brady in the second quarter to give the Patriots a 7-0 lead. Brown, who is playing in his 16th career playoff game, recorded his other playoff touchdown catch in a Wild Card Round game against Miami on Dec. 28, 1997. In addition to his two career playoff touchdown catches, Brown also returned a punt 55 yards for a touchdown in the 2001 AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh (1/27/02).THIRD DOWN DThe Patriots defense allowed the Jaguars to convert just one of 12 third downs for an 8% third down conversion rate. That mark is the lowest for a Patriots opponent in the playoffs since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger and the lowest in any game since the Buffalo Bills were 0-7 on third downs on Nov. 14, 2004.COLVIN SACKRosevelt Colvin sacked Byron Leftwich for a 3-yard loss with 11:41 remaining in the first half. The sack was the first of Colvin's playoff career. He appeared in his fifth career postseason game tonight. Colvin led the Patriots with 7.0 sacks in the 2005 regular season.SCORELESS FIRST QUARTERWith tonight's scoreless first quarter, four of the Patriots' last five playoff games have begun with a scoreless opening period. The five-game stretch began with Super Bowl XXXVIII, when the Patriots and Panthers ended the first quarter in a 0-0 tie. The only time in the Patriots' last five playoff games that either team got on the board was in the 2004 AFC Championship Game, when the Patriots led the Pittsburgh Steelers 10-3 after one quarter. The Patriots and their opponents were also both scoreless following the first quarter of the 2004 divisional playoff game against Indianapolis and Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX.HALFTIME LEADFollowing the Patriots' 28-3 victory - in a game in which the Patriots led 7-3 at halftime - New England is now 42-1 in its last 43 regular-season and playoff games when leading at the half. The Patriots were also 7-0 in the 2005 regular season when holding opponents to 7 points or fewer in the first half. After tonight's game, the Patriots have won 24 straight home games when leading at halftime.TROY BROWN: JACK OF ALL TRADESWide receiver Troy Brown appeared on defense as an extra defensive back and recorded four tackles, his first four tackles of the 2005 season. He was credited with his first tackle since the 2004 AFC Championship Game following a reception by Ernest Wilford just before the 2-minute warning in the first half. Brown saw significant time on defense in 2004 - including defensive appearances in all three of New England's playoff games - and recorded three interceptions and 17 regular-season tackles. He added six tackles in the 2004 playoffs. This season, Brown saw limited defensive action and did not record any defensive statistics. Brown ranks second on the Patriots' all-time receptions list with 514 career catches, just 20 grabs behind Stanley Morgan's franchise-record 534 receptions.VINATIERI'S PUNTAdam Vinatieri's first-quarter pooch punt was his first career playoff punt. The ball was downed at the Jaguars' 4-yard line by Lonie Paxton. Vinatieri has recorded two career punts in the regular season - both of which were downed inside the 20-yard line (12/8/96 and 12/9/01).HOT WHEN IT'S COLD IN THE PLAYOFFSFollowing tonight's victory, the Patriots are now 7-0 in the playoffs when the temperature is at the freezing point or below (since 1970 AFL-NFL merger). Tonight's kickoff temperature was 24 degrees. Including regular-season and playoff games, the Patriots are now 25-3 (.893) since 1993 when the kickoff temperature is 35 degrees or colder. Also since 1993, the Patriots are 21-2 when the temperature is 34 degrees or colder, and 15-1 when it's 30 degrees or colder. Additionally, Tom Brady is 21-1 as a starter when the temperature is less than 40 degrees. Brady's only loss as a starter when the temperature has been less than 40 degrees came last week in the regular-season finale against Miami, when he saw just one quarter of action.HOME SWEET HOMEFollowing their 28-3 victory over the Jaguars tonight, the Patriots are 8-1 at home in the playoffs in their history and own an 8-game home winning streak in postseason play. New England has not lost at home in the playoffs in more than 25 years, dating back to Dec. 31, 1978. Eight of the franchise's nine home playoff games have taken place since Robert Kraft purchased the team 12 years ago.

Denver will win because the new Mile High has never had a playoff game. The fans will finally get off their #### and make the new Mile High as loud and as freaky as the old Mile High. If you had never experienced the old Mile High at playoff time you missed some spooky stuff (Paging Earnest Byner!) Brady will have to pass on nearly every down as the Bronco run D will stop any semblance of a Patriot running game. If Brady has to pass on every down and also call out audibles there will be no way a receiver/lineman will hear. This will cause at least 4 sacks, a fumble and one interception and numerous false start penalties. It will be a very hostile environment on Saturday night!

N.E. wins because they are approaching the healthiest they've been all year, they have the MUCH better QB. They have as much motivation as any team left because they actualy KNOW how it feels to win and what that requires. They have a head coach who can prepare a team for any single opponent like no other coach can. Look for N.E. to focus on stopping the run which puts the game in The Snake's hands. Anyone out there who believes Plummer ( or any QB for that matter ) can carry the load against a Belichick coached playoff team must be a touch delusional!

Bostonfred - some good info there. I found these bits the most compelling:

THIRD DOWN D

The Patriots defense allowed the Jaguars to convert just one of 12 third downs for an 8% third down conversion rate. That mark is the lowest for a Patriots opponent in the playoffs since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger and the lowest in any game since the Buffalo Bills were 0-7 on third downs on Nov. 14, 2004.
1 of 12 on third down. That is impressive. I wonder if that is more a testament to first and second down play, forcing a thrid and long. Schein echoed this on the Afternoon Blitz on Sirius today as being a key to the game.
SCORELESS FIRST QUARTER

With tonight's scoreless first quarter, four of the Patriots' last five playoff games have begun with a scoreless opening period. The five-game stretch began with Super Bowl XXXVIII, when the Patriots and Panthers ended the first quarter in a 0-0 tie. The only time in the Patriots' last five playoff games that either team got on the board was in the 2004 AFC Championship Game, when the Patriots led the Pittsburgh Steelers 10-3 after one quarter. The Patriots and their opponents were also both scoreless following the first quarter of the 2004 divisional playoff game against Indianapolis and Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX.
Denver typically does especially well in the first quarter. It will be a long day for the Broncos if it's 0-0 after 15 min.
HALFTIME LEAD

Following the Patriots' 28-3 victory - in a game in which the Patriots led 7-3 at halftime - New England is now 42-1 in its last 43 regular-season and playoff games when leading at the half. The Patriots were also 7-0 in the 2005 regular season when holding opponents to 7 points or fewer in the first half. After tonight's game, the Patriots have won 24 straight home games when leading at halftime.
It will be an even longer day if the Broncos are down at halftime.
HOME SWEET HOME

Following their 28-3 victory over the Jaguars tonight, the Patriots are 8-1 at home in the playoffs in their history and own an 8-game home winning streak in postseason play. New England has not lost at home in the playoffs in more than 25 years, dating back to Dec. 31, 1978. Eight of the franchise's nine home playoff games have taken place since Robert Kraft purchased the team 12 years ago.
Good thing for the Broncos the game will be in Mike High (before anyone corrects me, it's called Investco Field at Mile High Stadium. I prefer to refer to the stadium rather than the field).One thought - I have my doubts as to Plummers ability to lead a 4th quarter comeback. He has done it before, but never in a game this significant. We all know Brady has done it...Framed this way, I would accept a "Brady is better than Plummer" arguement.

Last edited by a moderator:
N.E. wins because they are approaching the healthiest they've been all year, they have the MUCH better QB. They have as much motivation as any team left because they actualy KNOW how it feels to win and what that requires. They have a head coach who can prepare a team for any single opponent like no other coach can. Look for N.E. to focus on stopping the run which puts the game in The Snake's hands. Anyone out there who believes Plummer ( or any QB for that matter ) can carry the load against a Belichick coached playoff team must be a touch delusional!
Every coin has two sides. Denver is as healthy as they have been all year too. Bailey was nicked up for the first game, only played the first half. He will be full speed this weekend. Darrent Williams will play, but will likely not be at full speed. The whole team sohuld be well rested after last week's bye.Shannahan can game plan with the best of them as well.

Plummer shouldn't have to carry the load - he hasn't all season, why whould he carry the load now?

NE or Denver will win because the Colts all die in a freak boiler explosion at their practice facility. :boxing:

Denver will win because the new Mile High has never had a playoff game. The fans will finally get off their #### and make the new Mile High as loud and as freaky as the old Mile High. If you had never experienced the old Mile High at playoff time you missed some spooky stuff (Paging Earnest Byner!) Brady will have to pass on nearly every down as the Bronco run D will stop any semblance of a Patriot running game. If Brady has to pass on every down and also call out audibles there will be no way a receiver/lineman will hear. This will cause at least 4 sacks, a fumble and one interception and numerous false start penalties.

It will be a very hostile environment on Saturday night!
I agree that Mile High 2.0 will be rockin like it never has before. I have been to playoff games in Denver - I had 3rd row of upper deck tickets to see the Drive II - Elway vs Moon - what an amazing atmosphere.

if plummer has to win the game, they won't win. he will make mistakes.

denver absolutely has to run the ball and get in the endzone doing it.

this should be a very close game, and low scoring, with denver on top for most of it.

but late, when denver needs to sustain a drive, they won't. and brady will march down the field...vinateri game winner.
That's the obvious scenario. But, answer me this - Why will Plummer make mistakes? He has played relatively error free all year - why does everyone assume he will revert to 2004?

One major reason New England will win the QB/secondary matchup battle with Denver....Champ Bailey can only cover ONE guy. So he'll take ONE guy out of the Pats formula. Brady threw TDs to an NFL record TWELVE different guys this season. When Bailey is able to cover 12 different guys at once then I'll change my position. I cant wait to see who Bailey shuts down Saturday....because that'll be the Pats player that gets the game ball. You know, its a team thing.
At this point, I'd like to cite the week 6 game - no NE WR's or QB was hurt at that time, right? As you puit, it's a team thing - Bailey isn't the only DB.Look, I'm not trying to be a whiny tool (although I might be anyhow). I am trying to point out the flaws I see in the logic of the arguements posted. Some I agree with, some I don't.

This is a great matchup.This game highlights what should be a wonderful weekend for football fans know matter who you root for.Go Colts :football:

One major reason New England will win the QB/secondary matchup battle with Denver....Champ Bailey can only cover ONE guy.  So he'll take ONE guy out of the Pats formula.  Brady threw TDs to an NFL record TWELVE different guys this season.  When Bailey is able to cover 12 different guys at once then I'll change my position.  I cant wait to see who Bailey shuts down Saturday....because that'll be the Pats player that gets the game ball.  You know, its a team thing.
At this point, I'd like to cite the week 6 game - no NE WR's or QB was hurt at that time, right? As you puit, it's a team thing - Bailey isn't the only DB.Look, I'm not trying to be a whiny tool (although I might be anyhow). I am trying to point out the flaws I see in the logic of the arguements posted. Some I agree with, some I don't.
Look, we're talking about NOW right? Noone is talking about week 6 and looking back on how bad New England WAS are they? What are you not understanding?....Bailey covers ONE man, right? So, he'll probably cover Branch, who is NE's most dangerous WR threat. Like I said, Bailey will take that ONE man out of the equation and blanket his ONE man all night, and the rest of that secondary to deal with a bunch of money players who ALL swell up in big games. When you have to defend yourself from sounding like a whiny tool, its probably for good reason. The Bailey matchup is a simple point, and one I point out because this game will come down to which QB will past more effectively and step up under pressure. Neither team will run well....trust me on that.

Look, we're talking about NOW right? Noone is talking about week 6 and looking back on how bad New England WAS are they? What are you not understanding?....Bailey covers ONE man, right? So, he'll probably cover Branch, who is NE's most dangerous WR threat. Like I said, Bailey will take that ONE man out of the equation and blanket his ONE man all night, and the rest of that secondary to deal with a bunch of money players who ALL swell up in big games. When you have to defend yourself from sounding like a whiny tool, its probably for good reason. The Bailey matchup is a simple point, and one I point out because this game will come down to which QB will past more effectively and step up under pressure. Neither team will run well....trust me on that.
so, you are saying NE will win because you like the matchup of Brown and Givens vs Darrent Williams and Foxworth? I think that is a valid point.

if plummer has to win the game, they won't win. he will make mistakes.

denver absolutely has to run the ball and get in the endzone doing it.

this should be a very close game, and low scoring, with denver on top for most of it.

but late, when denver needs to sustain a drive, they won't. and brady will march down the field...vinateri game winner.
That's the obvious scenario. But, answer me this - Why will Plummer make mistakes? He has played relatively error free all year - why does everyone assume he will revert to 2004?
actually there is a chance he won't, but he's never been in a game this big before, at home. even though they almost had 2 1,000 yd rushers i don't think either one is that good. ne should be able to stop them and force plum to pass more than they would like. not a good scenerio.

I guess Solo was asleep for the game in week 6.I PATS will have 8 different starters this weekend from that game. Due to injury and poor play from those 8 that won't even be in the game this weekend.Thanks for paying attention.

I guess Solo was asleep for the game in week 6.

I PATS will have 8 different starters this weekend from that game. Due to injury and poor play from those 8 that won't even be in the game this weekend.

Thanks for paying attention.
I'm assuming you are replying to me citing the week 6 game? Sorry about that, I know it is a sore subject and has no relevance to what we have today, I wish I could take it back. The point I was trying to make was that despite a huge number of injuries, the Patriots passing attack was relatively intact in that game - Only Troy Brown was inactive (and Dillon - I do understand that him being there would make the passing attack more viable). So, we have seen what the NE passing attack can do vs the Denver D - Brady was 24-46, 299 yds, 1 TD. Not bad, but not stellar. he certainly did not throw TD's to 12 players in that game as was originally inferred. Can similar production earn the W come Saturday? it depends on the running game, I suppose.

Denver or New England will win because they score more points than they allow.I think that Denver will win. Everyone says that these teams are evenly matched. That's fine, because between two evenly matched teams, the advantage goes to the home team.Teams coming off the bye have an 80% winning rate in the divisional round.In the end, this game will very likely come down to turnovers. Denver has the best remaining TO differential in the playoffs, and has only lost the turnover battle ONCE all season. New England has lost it three times just in the last 8 games (including Jacksonville).Also, despite all the talk about how Denver is the more likely team to make a mistake... New England fumbled four times last week, and recovered all four. What are the odds of New England going 4-for-4 on fumble recoveries again?

Denver will win because the new Mile High has never had a playoff game. The fans will finally get off their #### and make the new Mile High as loud and as freaky as the old Mile High. If you had never experienced the old Mile High at playoff time you missed some spooky stuff (Paging Earnest Byner!) Brady will have to pass on nearly every down as the Bronco run D will stop any semblance of a Patriot running game. If Brady has to pass on every down and also call out audibles there will be no way a receiver/lineman will hear. This will cause at least 4 sacks, a fumble and one interception and numerous false start penalties.

It will be a very hostile environment on Saturday night!
I agree that Mile High 2.0 will be rockin like it never has before. I have been to playoff games in Denver - I had 3rd row of upper deck tickets to see the Drive II - Elway vs Moon - what an amazing atmosphere.
I was there as well - Elways best comeback in his career in my opinion. Patriots will have a hard time if they are forced into passing game. Their running game needs to work. I just don't see Dillon beating these linebackers and Lynch - Faulk looked good last week hitting the hole. He may be the best bet in the backfield for the Patriots

For everyone citing streaks, I can only assume you have your next mortgage payment put down on the Pats, with the following one on a futures bet for the Pats next year. Streaks never end do they :rolleyes: How many times during this streak were the Pats facing a rested team on enemy terrain? Most edges in this game go to Denver, with the one HUGE unknown being whether the Broncs (Plummer) will freeze up at the wrong moment. That being said, the Pats are not perfect despite their playoff experience. They made a lot of mistakes last week, but Jax was so weak it didn't matter.If they play the same way this week they will be eliminated, plain and simple.

I agree with a poster above who said neither team will run the ball effectively,both defenses will key the run and make it tough for both offenses to run with any consistency. That will make both offenses "one-dimensional". IF that happens,New England will win the game because of Brady. Not to dis Plummer who's had an excellent year,and I've always been a fan of his,I just think Brady will make one more big play than Jake and The Pats will come out on top. Either way I think this game will be the game of the weekend!

Denver will win because they will make NE one-dimensional on offense.
Like back when Antowain Smith was the Pats RB and they won two SBs?
good logic - a 1D Pats team is as dangerous as a 2D Pats team. I'll buy that. (please don't think I am bieng sarcastic - I'm not.)

Denver will win with Home field being the advantage.BTW, I was also at Elway's DII, and will be at this game too....GO Broncos!

Denver will win with Home field being the advantage.

BTW, I was also at Elway's DII, and will be at this game too....GO Broncos!
You make it sound like an omen... like Jake Plummer is about to pull out the Drive THREE.That's it, it's settled. Denver wins, but New England covers, and Jake is destined to shake off all of those rhyming nicknames. This game is getting capital letters...

By the way, a Denver columnist looked back historically and found that this is the best coaching matchup since 1979. This is the first playoff game in nearly 30 years with two coaches who combined for 5 SB victories (just as the head coaches, you have to add even more if you consider their careers as assistants). The last one was Noll vs. Shula. Maybe thirty years from now, someone will look back at history and call a game the best coaching matchup since Shanahan vs. Belichick.

By the way, a Denver columnist looked back historically and found that this is the best coaching matchup since 1979. This is the first playoff game in nearly 30 years with two coaches who combined for 5 SB victories (just as the head coaches, you have to add even more if you consider their careers as assistants). The last one was Noll vs. Shula. Maybe thirty years from now, someone will look back at history and call a game the best coaching matchup since Shanahan vs. Belichick.
By my (likely incorrect) count, including their times as assitants, they've combined to win 8 Super Bowls (BB 5, MS 3), go to 12 Super Bowls (6 each), and go to 16 AFC/NFC championship games (BB 7, MS 9). :eek:

My healthy analysis reply got eaten by the computer gods.In brief:Denver will win because:1) Denver's pass rush will be able to pressure Brady and Denver's LBs will be able to limit the run and also cover receivers out of the backfield and off the interior of the line2) Pats won't be able to go into Mile High and get enough pressure on Jake to prevent the Broncos from controlling the game - Jake is great at the rollout and bootleg, the Den. running game makes the play acxtion extraordinarily effective, and the Pats D won't be facing a statue like Peyton Manning or Byron Leftwich who they can simply pass rush into making turnovers.3) Denver wins the turnover battle simply by not having many turnovers - thus controlling the clock and the offensive flow, and thus winning the game by not making mistakes.

For everyone citing streaks, I can only assume you have your next mortgage payment put down on the Pats, with the following one on a futures bet for the Pats next year. Streaks never end do they :rolleyes:

How many times during this streak were the Pats facing a rested team on enemy terrain?

Most edges in this game go to Denver, with the one HUGE unknown being whether the Broncs (Plummer) will freeze up at the wrong moment. That being said, the Pats are not perfect despite their playoff experience. They made a lot of mistakes last week, but Jax was so weak it didn't matter.

If they play the same way this week they will be eliminated, plain and simple.
Dude, they played that game poorly and still won by 25 points....with Deion Branch dropping a sure TD bomb that would have made it a 32 point margin......playing POORLY. NE doesnt play POORLY in the playoffs.....they just play to win....they dont care if it was considered poor or brilliant....by 25 or 2....winning is winning. Theyll elevate their game when needed....this weekend.

For everyone citing streaks, I can only assume you have your next mortgage payment put down on the Pats, with the following one on a futures bet for the Pats next year.  Streaks never end do they  :rolleyes:

How many times during this streak were the Pats facing a rested team on enemy terrain? 

Most edges in this game go to Denver, with the one HUGE unknown being whether the Broncs (Plummer) will freeze up at the wrong moment.  That being said, the Pats are not perfect despite their playoff experience.  They made a lot of mistakes last week, but Jax was so weak it didn't matter.

If they play the same way this week they will be eliminated, plain and simple.
Dude, they played that game poorly and still won by 25 points....with Deion Branch dropping a sure TD bomb that would have made it a 32 point margin......playing POORLY. NE doesnt play POORLY in the playoffs.....they just play to win....they dont care if it was considered poor or brilliant....by 25 or 2....winning is winning. Theyll elevate their game when needed....this weekend.
:goodposting:

I think both Broncos and Patriots fans can agree with the following:1. The Patriots will need to play better this week if they want to win in Denver

2. Based on their history, the Patriots are very likely to play better this week

Dude, they played that game poorly and still won by 25 points....with Deion Branch dropping a sure TD bomb that would have made it a 32 point margin......playing POORLY.  NE doesnt play POORLY in the playoffs.....they just play to win....they dont care if it was considered poor or brilliant....by 25 or 2....winning is winning.  Theyll elevate their game when needed....this weekend.
I think both Broncos and Patriots fans can agree with the following:1. The Patriots will need to play better this week if they want to win in Denver

2. Based on their history, the Patriots are very likely to play better this week
:goodposting: on the :goodposting:

Agreed, with the stipulation that playing better doesn't necessarily guarantee New England a win. If they play like they played last week, though, the game won't be competitive... and I fully expect the game to be competitive.

please allow me to rationally summarize this thread thus far. As of 7:15 EST, we have 7 votes for NE, 6 votes for Denver. The reasons are summarized up below with poster listed. Note - for tallying purposes, anyone citing multiple reasons has their vote evenly distributed amongst the reasons.

Reasons NE will win:

2 votes: Game will be decided by mistake, Denver (Plummer) is more likely to make that mistake. kit fisto, chewybip, long snapper

2 votes: NE passing O > Denver passing D. solomatise, mik789fl

1 vote: NE rushing D > Denver rushing O patriotsfanboy

.5 votes: NE O better at 4th qtr comebacks chewybip

.5 votes: NE D will be better prepared long snapper

.5 votes: NE 3rd down D is great bostonfred

.5 votes: NE is better at holding onto a lead bostonfred

Reasons Denver will win:

3 votes: mile high mystique (Home Field Advantage) ffldrew, SSOG, broncoholic

2 votes: Den run D > pats run O gigantor, Fairwarning

.3 votes: Denvers pass rush will get to Brady, den LB's can cover RB's & TE's. Marc Levin

.3 votes: Den pass O > NE pass D. NE will be unable to pressure Plummer due to rollout and PA pass. Marc Levin

.3 votes: denver will have fewer turnovers Marc Levin

Some observations:

the leading reason is Home Field Advantage. I think this is Denvers strongest advantage - if this game were in NE, it wouldn't be close.

Disagreement on a couple of key aspects:

1. turnover battle. kit fisto, chewybip, long snapper think Denver will commit the first, most, or most costly turnover. Marc Levin believes that Denver will continue the 2005 trend of not turning over the ball.

2. NE pass O vs Den pass D: solomatise, mik789fl believe that Brady, Branch, Givins, and Brown are better than the Denver DB's. Marc Levin cites an improved denver pass rush and excellent LB's as items of denver's D that will neutralize the Patriots' passing game.

Anyone else have any different reasons why one team will win?

No doubt this will be a tough game for the Pats. The speed of the Denver LB's will somewhat neutralize the Patriot TE's. Ben Watson has been HUGE for the Pats. If Brady is patient and does not turn the ball over, the Pats will win. The Pats lose when Brady throws interceptions.I think Colvin and McGinnest will do a nice job of taking away the Plummer rollout.Pats win by 3.

After all of this, I haven't made my predictions on the game yet. Everyone has posed some good arguements - some I agree with, some I don't. Of course, I can make up my own mind, so here goes:The true strength of the Denver D is the passing D - NOT the rushing D. The season numbers are decieving - Denver has by far the fewest rushes against them in the league, which would account for the low rushing yards allowed. They have allowed 4.0 ypc - 16th in the league. The low totals are a function of taking an early lead, and with their pwerful rushing O, sitting on the clock. Opposing teams were forced to pass early alot, and giving up on the rush altogether. NE is 4th in the NFL in allowed ypc, by the way.The passing D, on the other hand, is much better. Denver has had by far the most passing attempts against them in the NFL. On a yards per attempt basis, they are 6th in the NFL, behind Chicago, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Carolina. NE is 29th in yards per attempt. NE hasn't seen a pass D like this since week 3, and we all know that we can't look at any NE's performances prior to week 8.So, I say Denver wins becaue of:1. Home field advantage.2. Denvers pass D > NE pass O.

Plummer shouldn't have to carry the load - he hasn't all season, why whould he carry the load now?
But Plummer hasn't made his usual mistakes this season and that is one of the reasons Denver has been so successful. If it comes down to Jake, I'm sorry but the Broncos are going to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread