What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Van Halen Album (2 Viewers)

Anyone have any clue as to what the 2nd single released will be, or if there even will be a 2nd single?

Ok, a few listens through now and I'll give my opinion....Eddie absolutely shreds on this album and the rest of the band is tight, but even though I'm a big Diamond Dave fan I'm sorry to say he's a shadow of his former self on this album. There are a few songs I like (Big River, As Is, and The Trouble With Never) but I can't like the other songs even despite how great Eddie is on them.

Ok, a few listens through now and I'll give my opinion....Eddie absolutely shreds on this album and the rest of the band is tight, but even though I'm a big Diamond Dave fan I'm sorry to say he's a shadow of his former self on this album. There are a few songs I like (Big River, As Is, and The Trouble With Never) but I can't like the other songs even despite how great Eddie is on them.
I think the problem isn't so much that Dave's vocal abilities have declined as it is that the vocal melodies written for the tunes are only so-so.

I think the problem isn't so much that Dave's vocal abilities have declined as it is that the vocal melodies written for the tunes are only so-so.
I can go along with this.

That's been my impression of the new VH I have heard as well. Sure, we know EVH can tear it up on the guitar, but if I wanted guitar wankery out the wazoo, I'd go buy a Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen CD. Without the catchy vocal melodies, VH just falls flat.

My review:

INDIANAPOLIS - Van Halen still has it.

Despite all the lead singer drama, the ousting of founding member and bassist Michael Anthony, cancer, hip replacements, ugly divorces and an almost total lack of relevancy since the mid-90's, the 30-year veterans are showing why they are still regarded as one of the greatest American bands in rock history.

To be sure, Wednesday night's performance at Banker's Life Fieldhouse was not without its problems. At times, the band showed its age. Sloppiness was apparent on several of the night's older cuts such as 1979's "Dance the Night Away" where lead singer David Lee Roth struggled to convey the song's energy. The sound mix was a little thin and at times 20-year-old Wolfgang Van Halen's bass seemed to get lost in the musical fray.

It may not have been perfect, but suddenly it was 1982 all over again. Edward Van Halen's trademark guitar tone and nimble fingers sent an almost palpable surge of adrenaline through the crowd during his solo spot. EVH showed why he is still one of the top purveyors of rock guitar, mixing slashing acrobatic solos and quiet interludes with some of the heaviest riffing seen live since the "Fair Warning" tour in 1981.

The band pulled out all the stops, romping through several seldom-heard classics such as "Girl Gone Bad" and "Hear About It Later." Particularly crowd-pleasing was the stellar "Romeo Delight," a cut that recalled the band's foundation of unapologetic party music ("I'm takin' whiskey to the party tonight/And I'm lookin' for somebody to squeeze").

Roth may have delved a little too much into his trademark Vegas lounge schtick, but the crowd seemed to be in on the joke and was rewarded with a fantastic solo acoustic performance on "Ice Cream Man" from the band's 1978 debut.

The rhythm section was competent, if unspectacular. Wolfgang Van Halen is more than adequate on bass, providing a few new wrinkles to classic songs. However, the band clearly misses the high harmonies of predecessor Anthony, as illustrated during the previously mentioned "Dance."

Surprisingly, cuts from the new album "A Different Kind of Truth" were among the most cheered performances of the night. A stellar rendition of new-old track "She's the Woman" was followed by the near-speed metal cacophony of "China Town" as highlights from the new album.

No one is pretending that this is a group at its peak. As Roth so deftly pointed out several times during the concert, three-fourths of the band members are "pushing 60."

But anyone who grew up with this music undoubtedly has fond memories of the band that undeniably changed the face of hard rock music. And that alone makes this tour worth checking out.

Any NYC FBG hit the show at MSG on 2/28? Is anyone going to the show there tonight? Apparently the concert on Tuesday night was unbelievably good. :popcorn:

Any NYC FBG hit the show at MSG on 2/28? Is anyone going to the show there tonight? Apparently the concert on Tuesday night was unbelievably good. :popcorn:
Didn't go, but some press on it:http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-the-full-bug-live/

Anyone else heading out to Mohegan Sun tomorrow night? I ended picking up some freebies.

Love that they're playing some deep cuts. Would love to hear "Girl Gone Bad" or "House of Pain"

This thread goes to eleven.

If you would have told me there would be an 11 page VH thread in 2012, I would have thought someone in the band would have been killed by another member of the band to get that much attention.

Anyone else heading out to Mohegan Sun tomorrow night? I ended picking up some freebies.Love that they're playing some deep cuts. Would love to hear "Girl Gone Bad" or "House of Pain"
I went to Mohegan last night. Crowd was really into it and I thought they sounded great. A couple thoughts...1) For some of the criticism I've read? Wolfie seemed just fine to me. I didn't miss Michael Anthony one bit, on bass or on vocals. I think if his name was Wolfie Jones, he'd get a lot more leeway.2) It's pretty clear that Eddie is using this tour as his "I'm still a guitar god" resurrection. He absolutely shredded it at times.If you like DLR-VH, definitely plunk down the cash to catch them this time around. Well worth it.

Agreed great show. I think it was after Hot For Teacher when they all just kind of stood there for a few beats while the crowd went nuts and soaked it in.

Almost missed Girl Gone Bad on a beer run.

I did think DLR was a mixed bag. I guess I had lowered my expectations for his range but I thought he did just fine. He did seem to get distracted too often though and missed his mark more than once. If he put in as much time concentrating on that as he did picking out different jackets to wear during the show he'd be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw them at 'The Palace' in Auburn Hills (MI), and Ed is once again simply remarkable. Dave was hard to watch on stage, but was a lot like the Dave of old vocals wise (I was impressed as I was expecting a lot less from him). Alex was his usual self on the drums, but Wolfie really impressed me with his ability (although I wish Michael was still there).

I grew up in LA watching these guys and even this far removed from their 'prime', it was money well spent! To quote someone, Ed's got his fastball back (and that might even be an understatement)...

On the 07/08 tour and then again this time around VH has been opening their shows with Girl Ya Really Got Me. GYRGM is a fine opener, but message board rubes have been calling for them to open with Unchained for quite a while now. On night 2 at Madison Square Garden fans got their wish (and VH did it again the at their next show at Mohegan Sun)! My hope is that they make this their standard opening song.

If you have good headphones, or can listen to this via speakers (not your computer speaker) please do so. I get chills imagining being in this seat and having VH open their show like this...the wall of sound is immense. Watching Eddie play in this video is awesome - he looks like he's a kid again playing with his Son.

Here's another look at their MSG show on 3/1. Unfortunately there are still some Wolfgang doubters (some Rolling Stone blogger recently suggested it sounds like they are piping in vocals to help support Wolfie - again - ugh) as if it's just not humanly possible that the kid could have a big voice. Anyway, check out what they did at the 2:50 mark...they NEVER stray from the way the play songs in concert so for them to do this was a HUGE deal. Clearly it was designed to get the Wolfie naysayers to shut their piehole. :banned:

Panama - MSG 3/1

Here's another look at their MSG show on 3/1. Unfortunately there are still some Wolfgang doubters (some Rolling Stone blogger recently suggested it sounds like they are piping in vocals to help support Wolfie - again - ugh) as if it's just not humanly possible that the kid could have a big voice. Anyway, check out what they did at the 2:50 mark...they NEVER stray from the way the play songs in concert so for them to do this was a HUGE deal. Clearly it was designed to get the Wolfie naysayers to shut their piehole. :banned:

Panama - MSG 3/1
That was pretty impressive. Love Eddie's enthusiasm!!Also, Dave walks like an old Jewish retiree shuffling into Denny's for the early bird special.

On the 07/08 tour and then again this time around VH has been opening their shows with Girl Ya Really Got Me. GYRGM is a fine opener, but message board rubes have been calling for them to open with Unchained for quite a while now. On night 2 at Madison Square Garden fans got their wish (and VH did it again the at their next show at Mohegan Sun)! My hope is that they make this their standard opening song.

If you have good headphones, or can listen to this via speakers (not your computer speaker) please do so. I get chills imagining being in this seat and having VH open their show like this...the wall of sound is immense. Watching Eddie play in this video is awesome - he looks like he's a kid again playing with his Son.

This will probably sound 'nit-picky', but I'm happy to see Dave using a hand held mic. Didn't like him using the headset mic in the earlier clips.

Panama - MSG 3/1
That was pretty impressive. Love Eddie's enthusiasm!!Also, Dave walks like an old Jewish retiree shuffling into Denny's for the early bird special.
:lmao: I can't imagine anyone would argue that Dave is the weak link in this band but to watch him attempt some of his old moves and the way he just comes off as a lounge act is pretty humorous.

With that said, the band itself sounds great.

Bumping to hear from anyone who has seen them on this tour. The reviews are generally fantastic. Of course Dave's voice is getting panned, but anyone going to see Van Halen for DLR's voice is kind of missing the point IMO. Anyway, I'll be seeing them in June and will report back.

Saw them about a month ago. DLR sounded awful - voice was shot, not just "off." Rest of the band sounded sensational - Eddie was wailing, Wolfgang delivers both on bass and backing vox, and Alex was pounding the hides. Set list was very good too, just wish they'd ditch a couple of songs. I know "Jump" was a huge hit and closes every show, but scrap "Pretty Woman" and "Dance the Night Away" and add "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "Atomic Punk" or something...

Saw them about a month ago. DLR sounded awful - voice was shot, not just "off." Rest of the band sounded sensational - Eddie was wailing, Wolfgang delivers both on bass and backing vox, and Alex was pounding the hides. Set list was very good too, just wish they'd ditch a couple of songs. I know "Jump" was a huge hit and closes every show, but scrap "Pretty Woman" and "Dance the Night Away" and add "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "Atomic Punk" or something...
Unfortunately I think you saw him during a one-week stretch where his voice truly was shot. I know it's come back since that time - bad luck I think. I 100% agree with you re: Jump and Pretty Woman, but there are so many casual fans that go to the shows and they eat those familiar songs up. Oh well. Really glad to see a song like The Full Bug make an appearance every few shows.The one song they've been playing at sound check, but have yet to play in concert, is "As-Is" off the new album. That song is an absolute monster IMO and I'd love to hear that live. A guy can dream.

Unfortunately I think you saw him during a one-week stretch where his voice truly was shot. I know it's come back since that time - bad luck I think. I 100% agree with you re: Jump and Pretty Woman, but there are so many casual fans that go to the shows and they eat those familiar songs up. Oh well. Really glad to see a song like The Full Bug make an appearance every few shows.The one song they've been playing at sound check, but have yet to play in concert, is "As-Is" off the new album. That song is an absolute monster IMO and I'd love to hear that live. A guy can dream.
They played "The Full Bug" in Orlando, that was a nice surprise. Didn't really expect "Save It For Later", "Girl Gone Bad", or "Women In Love" either. I would LOVE to have heard "As Is" or "Honeybabysweetiedoll" rather than "Tattoo" or "The Trouble With Never."

Just go back to the beginning of this thread and look out how many people said the new album didn't sound good. :lmao: Its freaking awesome!! The Foo Fighters are the only rock band that has put out anything remotely this good in the last several years. :headbang:

Bumping to hear from anyone who has seen them on this tour. The reviews are generally fantastic. Of course Dave's voice is getting panned, but anyone going to see Van Halen for DLR's voice is kind of missing the point IMO. Anyway, I'll be seeing them in June and will report back.

Yeah, I'm seeing them in late June as well and can't wait. It's going to be awesome. Hold on Eddie! You can make it to the end of the tour!!!

Did you guys read the interview with EVH where he said they had enough songs to do a double album but Roth talked them into only doing a single album? I am hoping that means they release the next album within the next year like they used to back in the early days. Even if Roth's voice live isn't what it once was, he still sounds great in a studio. Hope we get SEVERAL more new albums in the coming year. :thumbup:

I saw them in CLT, they were very very good, a great show that put a smile on my face.

Dave never really was that much of a singer, he's PT Barnum and an absolute genius at marketing and PR. I have no doubt that the Choir boy sing off in the Panama clip was his idea.

My first Van Halen concert was in Asheville during the 1980 World Invasion Tour. My buddy and I, aided by a catfight between two girls that parted the crowd were able to fight our way to the 3rd row.

Upfront the curtain didn't come quite all the way top where it touched the floor it came about three-four feet short, me and my buddy could see under the curtain and we could see a wall of amps that went clear up to the lights. We looked at each other and said "We're going to get BLOWN Away!" The crowd around us was buzzed and buzzing.

The amps were actually designed to where they could climb up the wall of the amps and wail. Here's a pic of Eddie and Dave near the top of the wall during "Take Your Whiskey Home"

We were completely BLOWN Away!

My link

Years later when I was reading David Lee Roths autobiography "Crazy From the Heat" I learned that the entire wall was fake and that the curtain not reaching the floor was by design. All done so a buzz could be generated in the front and spread towards the back of the arena prior to showtime. The buzz about what was behind the curtain would get become larger and wilder and take on a life of it's own.

David Lee Roth is all about the Show Bizness. Without his invaluable master touch and shaping in the beginning, it might of all just been noise.

Just go back to the beginning of this thread and look out how many people said the new album didn't sound good. :lmao: Its freaking awesome!! The Foo Fighters are the only rock band that has put out anything remotely this good in the last several years. :headbang:
That is crazy talk. There has been a ton of great rock music released in the last few years. If you are talking straight-forward, party-type rock music, then you might be on to something, but if we are talking rock bands in general, you are way off. Anyway, I didn't see them when they came here, but my cousin and his wife did. He said it was a good show, but that DLR's dancing was hilariously embarrassing. He also said the show was vastly inferior to all of the VH shows he saw with Sammy back in the 90s (he is a big fan of both eras).

Watching clips of the MSG show I'm reminded why I don't go to rock shows of old bands - the crowd is absolutely ####ing lame, even those in the front row.

Watching clips of the MSG show I'm reminded why I don't go to rock shows of old bands - the crowd is absolutely ####ing lame, even those in the front row.
I plan to be down front at the Houston show. I'll do my best to bring some non-lameness.

Concert crowds in general have gotten more lame over the years. Too many people are worried about texting people during the show (WTF!), or recording a clip of the concert to show their friends who apparently don't like the band enough to go to the concert in the first place, rather than enjoy the concert while they are there to the fullest.

I saw them in CLT, they were very very good, a great show that put a smile on my face.

Dave never really was that much of a singer, he's PT Barnum and an absolute genius at marketing and PR. I have no doubt that the Choir boy sing off in the Panama clip was his idea.

My first Van Halen concert was in Asheville during the 1980 World Invasion Tour. My buddy and I, aided by a catfight between two girls that parted the crowd were able to fight our way to the 3rd row.

Upfront the curtain didn't come quite all the way top where it touched the floor it came about three-four feet short, me and my buddy could see under the curtain and we could see a wall of amps that went clear up to the lights. We looked at each other and said "We're going to get BLOWN Away!" The crowd around us was buzzed and buzzing.

The amps were actually designed to where they could climb up the wall of the amps and wail. Here's a pic of Eddie and Dave near the top of the wall during "Take Your Whiskey Home"

My link

Years later when I was reading David Lee Roths autobiography "Crazy From the Heat" I learned that the entire wall was fake and that the curtain not reaching the floor was by design. All done so a buzz could be generated in the front and spread towards the back of the arena prior to showtime. The buzz about what was behind the curtain would get become larger and wilder and take on a life of it's own.

David Lee Roth is all about the Show Bizness. Without his invaluable master touch and shaping in the beginning, it might of all just been noise.
Am I the only one who looks at that picture and thinks "Tribute band"???I know you said 1980 but the photo looks funky.

My link

Am I the only one who looks at that picture and thinks "Tribute band"???I know you said 1980 but the photo looks funky.
You're right I found one that looks better My link

I recently read an interview with Eddie where he admitted that he had another cancer scare a couple years ago. I hope the postponement isn't related to that. :unsure:

Ed's guitar tech Matt Bruck said the following today "TO CUT OUT THE RUMORS..... Rumors of them not getting along etc...? "That's simply not the case. They are getting along great. The schedule is being re-routed. Simple as that."

So that's good news assuming he does know what's going on (and you'd think he would) :thumbup:

Ed's guitar tech Matt Bruck said the following today "TO CUT OUT THE RUMORS..... Rumors of them not getting along etc...? "That's simply not the case. They are getting along great. The schedule is being re-routed. Simple as that." So that's good news assuming he does know what's going on (and you'd think he would) :thumbup:
Is Bruck teching for Ed on this tour? I don't think he is.

Ed's guitar tech Matt Bruck said the following today "TO CUT OUT THE RUMORS..... Rumors of them not getting along etc...? "That's simply not the case. They are getting along great. The schedule is being re-routed. Simple as that." So that's good news assuming he does know what's going on (and you'd think he would) :thumbup:
Yea, if you read further down under the postings someone mentions that tour is being rerouted to accomodate more European dates.

Users who are viewing this thread