What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (1 Viewer)

I'd be ok with this move provided that it comes with a reasonable price tag:

Updating an earlier item, free agent QB David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with the Jets, while a source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter "both sides are feeling good" about a potential deal.Garrard would provide cheap, experienced competition for fading "franchise quarterback" Mark Sanchez, but hasn't attempted a regular-season pass in 795 days. He turned 34 in February. Throw in his history of back issues, and it's highly unlikely Garrard would be able to hold down the fort in 2013 if he won the Jets' camp competition. He's at least an improvement on Mark Brunell and Tim Tebow. According to USA Today's Mike Garofolo, Garrard "has some interest elsewhere."

'Dr. Octopus said:
I'd be ok with this move provided that it comes with a reasonable price tag:.
Well, he is better than Brady Quinn and Greg McElroy. So in that sense it would be a good signing. That said, I'd rather have Geno Smith or Matt Moore on the Jets.

Has Tebow actually been cut yet? :confused:

It seemed like a foregone conclusion and the Jets have been desperately cutting salary. To the point where they've let a ton of veteran starters go and are trying hard to dump Revis. But Tebow is still a Jet. Why is that?

Do they potentially think they'll actually keep him? Or is there something possibly sinister afoot where the Jets are intentionally holding onto Tebow for as long as possible to screw him over? Because I can't think of any other reason not to have cut him by now, especially after the Garrard signing.

Has Tebow actually been cut yet? :confused: It seemed like a foregone conclusion and the Jets have been desperately cutting salary. To the point where they've let a ton of veteran starters go and are trying hard to dump Revis. But Tebow is still a Jet. Why is that?Do they potentially think they'll actually keep him? Or is there something possibly sinister afoot where the Jets are intentionally holding onto Tebow for as long as possible to screw him over? Because I can't think of any other reason not to have cut him by now, especially after the Garrard signing.
Could they possibly think he has trade value? I am not a fan, but the Jets have already screwed him over by how they handled him this past season.

Has Tebow actually been cut yet? :confused: It seemed like a foregone conclusion and the Jets have been desperately cutting salary. To the point where they've let a ton of veteran starters go and are trying hard to dump Revis. But Tebow is still a Jet. Why is that?Do they potentially think they'll actually keep him? Or is there something possibly sinister afoot where the Jets are intentionally holding onto Tebow for as long as possible to screw him over? Because I can't think of any other reason not to have cut him by now, especially after the Garrard signing.
probably because they saved about 25+m cap by cutting 3 or 4 guys ("a ton"), revis is not being traded to save cap, and tebow would only save them a million.not saying he won't be cut or traded tomorrow -- just answering the question.

probably because they saved about 25+m cap by cutting 3 or 4 guys ("a ton"), revis is not being traded to save cap, and tebow would only save them a million.not saying he won't be cut or traded tomorrow -- just answering the question.
If Revis isn't being traded to save cap, then why is he being traded?

Because this is the last year of his contract and the team will not/can not re-sign him.To naswer your other question - the Jets somehow think they can trade Tebow.

Because the team needs to rebuild, they don't want to pay him $15MM+ per season, he has one year left on his contract, and the team is contractually not allowed to franchise him beyond next season.

because he's in his final year, he'll be demanding a ridiculous new deal, and the new gm could really use the draft picks.edit: guess I was a little slow on that.........

Last edited by a moderator:
So Holmes and Cro both restructure...not sure on the exacts of the deals but I hope they didnt push too much into 2014 like they did in the Sanchez deal.

Loss of Devito not huge but he did give nice depth...time for Ellis to step up

Keller visiting Miami - I'm fine with him leaving.

Garrard - yawn - will Sanzhez ever get real competition? So now if they draft a QB looks like McElroy is the odd man out. Assuming Tebow is dumped.

Lots of Revis trade chatter but nothing imminent - wouldnt be shocked if he signs an extension instead of being dealt. If he is dealt though they have to at least get a 1st rder.

Look for the bargain hunting to begin next week.

So Holmes and Cro both restructure...not sure on the exacts of the deals but I hope they didnt push too much into 2014 like they did in the Sanchez deal.

Loss of Devito not huge but he did give nice depth...time for Ellis to step up

Keller visiting Miami - I'm fine with him leaving.

Garrard - yawn - will Sanzhez ever get real competition? So now if they draft a QB looks like McElroy is the odd man out. Assuming Tebow is dumped.

Lots of Revis trade chatter but nothing imminent - wouldnt be shocked if he signs an extension instead of being dealt. If he is dealt though they have to at least get a 1st rder.

Look for the bargain hunting to begin next week.
I'd say that's an appropriate level of competition.

The Cormartie retructure pushed about $10MM into next years cap (dumb, but at least other contracts come off the books next year), but Holmes' merely took a pay cut for this season. His salasry was cut from $11MM to $7.5 MM.

The Cormartie retructure pushed about $10MM into next years cap (dumb, but at least other contracts come off the books next year), but Holmes' merely took a pay cut for this season. His salasry was cut from $11MM to $7.5 MM.
Like the Holmes move but the Cro deal reeks of Tanny....just take the hit now and deal with it......reading the tea leaves it tells me Revis is likely gone and they will probably give Cro a new deal next year.

Jets are clearly in full on "tank for Clowney" mode at this point. They let 4 starters walk in the past 24 hours without lifting a finger. (with Keller likely to follow them out the door tomorrow and Revis shortly after).

None of those players (Landry, Bell, Greene or Devito) we're good bets to help the Jets by the time they're ready to win again, so they're all good moves. But damn this season is going to be really, REALLY ugly. I'd be very surprised if we win 4 games. At this point, the team looks like this....

QB- Sanchez, Garrard (assuming Tebow will eventually be cut)

FB- Hilliard (well below average and poor fit for the offense)

RB- Powell, McKnight (have to believe they'll draft someone)

WR- Holmes, Kerley, Hill (they'll probably bring Edwards back cheap, so this really isn't a horrible group if Holmes is healthy and Hill makes a moderate improvement)

TE- Cumberland (below average ability and always hurt. Awful)

LT- Ferguson (still solid)

LG- Ducasse (at least they'll know for sure if he sucks after this season)

C- Mangold- (not as good last year. Hope the wheels aren't falling off early)

RG- ? (Moore should be brought back just to keep things respectable, but I bet he'll sign with a contender)

RT- Howard (showed at least a little something. Has the potential to be a passable starter)

DE- Wilkerson (not a superstar, but a very good player)

DE- Coples (showed some signs. Hopefully he'll get to like 8-9 sacks this season)

NT- Ellis (put up or shut up time big fella)

OLB- I guess Mcintyre at this point. Oof

ILB- Harris is solid, but on the decline already

ILB- Davis will get a shot, which I like

OLB- no idea. Hopefully a first round pick

CB- Cromartie (can he repeat last year)

CB- Revis right now, but he's likely gone soon. Wilson is below average

S- no idea.

Even if all the questionable guys (Ellis, Coples, Davis, Howard, Ducasse, WR's) hit, we're going to have an awful secondary, bad QB play and no explosion in the run game. Not good.

Jets are clearly in full on "tank for Clowney" mode at this point. They let 4 starters walk in the past 24 hours without lifting a finger. (with Keller likely to follow them out the door tomorrow and Revis shortly after). None of those players (Landry, Bell, Greene or Devito) we're good bets to help the Jets by the time they're ready to win again, so they're all good moves. But damn this season is going to be really, REALLY ugly. I'd be very surprised if we win 4 games. At this point, the team looks like this....QB- Sanchez, Garrard (assuming Tebow will eventually be cut)FB- Hilliard (well below average and poor fit for the offense)RB- Powell, McKnight (have to believe they'll draft someone)WR- Holmes, Kerley, Hill (they'll probably bring Edwards back cheap, so this really isn't a horrible group if Holmes is healthy and Hill makes a moderate improvement)TE- Cumberland (below average ability and always hurt. Awful)LT- Ferguson (still solid)LG- Ducasse (at least they'll know for sure if he sucks after this season)C- Mangold- (not as good last year. Hope the wheels aren't falling off early)RG- ? (Moore should be brought back just to keep things respectable, but I bet he'll sign with a contender)RT- Howard (showed at least a little something. Has the potential to be a passable starter)DE- Wilkerson (not a superstar, but a very good player)DE- Coples (showed some signs. Hopefully he'll get to like 8-9 sacks this season)NT- Ellis (put up or shut up time big fella)OLB- I guess Mcintyre at this point. OofILB- Harris is solid, but on the decline alreadyILB- Davis will get a shot, which I likeOLB- no idea. Hopefully a first round pickCB- Cromartie (can he repeat last year)CB- Revis right now, but he's likely gone soon. Wilson is below averageS- no idea. Even if all the questionable guys (Ellis, Coples, Davis, Howard, Ducasse, WR's) hit, we're going to have an awful secondary, bad QB play and no explosion in the run game. Not good.
you won 6 games with that last year, you can do it again.assuming they can find some safeties.

Jets are clearly in full on "tank for Clowney" mode at this point. They let 4 starters walk in the past 24 hours without lifting a finger. (with Keller likely to follow them out the door tomorrow and Revis shortly after). None of those players (Landry, Bell, Greene or Devito) we're good bets to help the Jets by the time they're ready to win again, so they're all good moves. But damn this season is going to be really, REALLY ugly. I'd be very surprised if we win 4 games. At this point, the team looks like this....QB- Sanchez, Garrard (assuming Tebow will eventually be cut)FB- Hilliard (well below average and poor fit for the offense)RB- Powell, McKnight (have to believe they'll draft someone)WR- Holmes, Kerley, Hill (they'll probably bring Edwards back cheap, so this really isn't a horrible group if Holmes is healthy and Hill makes a moderate improvement)TE- Cumberland (below average ability and always hurt. Awful)LT- Ferguson (still solid)LG- Ducasse (at least they'll know for sure if he sucks after this season)C- Mangold- (not as good last year. Hope the wheels aren't falling off early)RG- ? (Moore should be brought back just to keep things respectable, but I bet he'll sign with a contender)RT- Howard (showed at least a little something. Has the potential to be a passable starter)DE- Wilkerson (not a superstar, but a very good player)DE- Coples (showed some signs. Hopefully he'll get to like 8-9 sacks this season)NT- Ellis (put up or shut up time big fella)OLB- I guess Mcintyre at this point. OofILB- Harris is solid, but on the decline alreadyILB- Davis will get a shot, which I likeOLB- no idea. Hopefully a first round pickCB- Cromartie (can he repeat last year)CB- Revis right now, but he's likely gone soon. Wilson is below averageS- no idea. Even if all the questionable guys (Ellis, Coples, Davis, Howard, Ducasse, WR's) hit, we're going to have an awful secondary, bad QB play and no explosion in the run game. Not good.
you won 6 games with that last year, you can do it again.assuming they can find some safeties.
The question is, "Do they want to?"Hehe, yes, the players certainly do, but I could see deep down in places you don't talk about, I wouldn't be surprised if the top brass isn't secretly hoping for Clowney. Rex Ryan isn'tthough. He's gone after this season when they do terribly. They will start a new regime and clear out the rest of the trash in 2014.

They won 6 last year, but this year's team will be much weaker. Plus, Sanchez is fully gone mentally (as opposed to early last year when he still had a chance). I hated Shonne Greene, but he had the ability to be solid and control the clock against weaker teams.

If they hit on some immediate starters in the draft, I guess they technically could gut out a few extra wins. But at this point, unless Sanchez magically becomes a good QB, I'd prefer they just lose in 2013.

I love Francesa ripping the Jets for letting so many players go. :lmao: He is so biased against them its funny. None of the guys they let go are difference makers and I cant disagree with a single move they made. They are in full rebuild mode which they should be.

I love Francesa ripping the Jets for letting so many players go. :lmao: He is so biased against them its funny. None of the guys they let go are difference makers and I cant disagree with a single move they made. They are in full rebuild mode which they should be.
I think he understands they are going through a full rebuild - he's bashing them for not doing the "full rebuild" the right way. If it's a complete rebuild shouldn't they get rid of the Head Coach and starting QB too?Jets are in a tough spot - needs to sell PSL's and can't admit they are doing a rebuild.So this year they are doing a partial rebuild and then next year when they get rid of Ryan & Sanchez it will be the full rebuild?Sort of like the meeting about the meeting.

I think he understands they are going through a full rebuild - he's bashing them for not doing the "full rebuild" the right way. If it's a complete rebuild shouldn't they get rid of the Head Coach and starting QB too?Jets are in a tough spot - needs to sell PSL's and can't admit they are doing a rebuild.So this year they are doing a partial rebuild and then next year when they get rid of Ryan & Sanchez it will be the full rebuild?Sort of like the meeting about the meeting.
they cant get rid of the QB and I dont think getting a new coach during the rebuilding matters if the GM is making all the moves. The GM can then hand pick his coach next year.

Love what the GM is doing so far....besides Landry who we knew they couldnt afford - there is not one guy who is not replaceable....plus as a bonus there should be 3-4 comp picks next year to help the rebuild. I know Rex needs to win now but a good ol fashion 2 win season would go a long way to putting this team in a position to be good when Brady finally packs it in....need that franchise QB.

good stuff - will be tought to rebuild the right way in a PSL world. Fans will be pissed and the stadium empty...BUT its the right thing to do. Go young and be lousy for 1 year to secure the future. Lots of picks in 2014 plus lots of cap room will turn this around quick. As for the roster above - Safety and depth will probably be on the FA cheap - draft will be key - they can land a rotation RB, and Guard in the mid rds. Gotta figure 1st rder is an OLB pass rusher. I think they go QB in the 2d or just wait until next year. All in all it will be a very unexciting team in 2013...unless something crazy happens they will be awful. Rex will likely go and the true reload will begin.

I do think Wilkerson has a chance to be a superstar. Not upset on anyone who has left so far.. and I like what the new GM is doing, methodical and assessing.

I've moved past Rex has to go mode.. He will get his chance to coach some guys up this year, if he has a Solid season, of 8+ wins, he gets rightly extended.

if he tanks with 2 wins, Idzik can assess and dump him.

Free Agency is early, still plenty of moves left.

Beat writer Manish Mehta expects the Jets to pursue Kevin Kolb once the Cardinals release him.

Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg coached Kolb when his stock rose in Philadelphia. Mehta says that "if the price is right," Kolb will land with the Jets and be the Week 1 starter. Although only Mark Sanchez and David Garrard sit atop the depth chart now, that's a major leap. During two seasons in Arizona, Kolb has gone 6-8 as a starter and lost a 2012 training camp battle to John Skelton.

Jets sign former steeler willie colon on a 1 year deal to play guard. I know nothing about him other than that he was a cap casualty earlier this week and has ended the last 3 seasons on IR.

:shrug:

Like the Goodson signing - young, cheap, high upside. Can see him in a RBBC with Powell. Figure they draft a RB in mid rds to compete

Saw they had interest in DHB - team could use speed....but he hasnt shown he is a complete WR yet so would have to be on the cheap IMO.

Guess he'll need a new Twitter handle;

Antwan Barnes‏@vikes42

Green and white it is...just want to thank coach rex coach DT and mr idzilk for the opportunity..and to the fans I won't let u down #jets

Maybe ;)

Antwan Barnes‏@vikes42

Wait a minute...not official yet...in talks now...#letsgetadealdone

enjoying the Revis chess game in the media....

am - Jets/TB close

noon - TB willing to give up their 1st rder in 2013

late pm - TB getting frustrated and may not be interested anymore

next am - Jets say they do not have Revis on the block

LOL - nice to see a GM in charge for once and not getting pushed into a corner. I love the way the Jets are handling it....dont take any less than a blockbuster deal...there is lots of time. Not only to deal him but the CB mkt has been low - they may be able to work out an extension after all. I still think Revis is either traded or extended by the draft...love that they are not just grabbing the 1st decent deal presented.

enjoying the Revis chess game in the media....am - Jets/TB closenoon - TB willing to give up their 1st rder in 2013late pm - TB getting frustrated and may not be interested anymorenext am - Jets say they do not have Revis on the blockLOL - nice to see a GM in charge for once and not getting pushed into a corner. I love the way the Jets are handling it....dont take any less than a blockbuster deal...there is lots of time. Not only to deal him but the CB mkt has been low - they may be able to work out an extension after all. I still think Revis is either traded or extended by the draft...love that they are not just grabbing the 1st decent deal presented.
I love how sites like Rotoworld in their comments state nonsense like the Jets better accept the TB offer of a 2014 1st now or they'll get nothing when they let him walk in free agency. I'm pretty sure the Jets can get a 2014 1st any time before the NFL trading deadline during the 2013 season.

I also love that Idzik isn't gving into the "PSL pressure" of trying to put a band aid on the 2013 season by hurting the team's future. The only restructure that has impacted the 2014 cap was for Cromartie and he's a guy that should be part of their future plans with the way he's been playing.

These signings have not been sexy, but they are filling holes for 2013 with decent cheap players hoping to perhaps catch lightening in a bottle - they are not making any stupid "splash" type signings just to sell 2013 tickets.

I've said all along that 2013 is going to be a down season and that the main goal should be letting bad contracts die so that the 2014 and beyond outlook is brighter.

If the team hits on its 2013 picks and continues to shop at the FA bargain bin it's on its way. Heck if Rex works some magic with what he's given he may even save his job and get a talent influx for 2014.

enjoying the Revis chess game in the media....am - Jets/TB closenoon - TB willing to give up their 1st rder in 2013late pm - TB getting frustrated and may not be interested anymorenext am - Jets say they do not have Revis on the blockLOL - nice to see a GM in charge for once and not getting pushed into a corner. I love the way the Jets are handling it....dont take any less than a blockbuster deal...there is lots of time. Not only to deal him but the CB mkt has been low - they may be able to work out an extension after all. I still think Revis is either traded or extended by the draft...love that they are not just grabbing the 1st decent deal presented.
I love how sites like Rotoworld in their comments state nonsense like the Jets better accept the TB offer of a 2014 1st now or they'll get nothing when they let him walk in free agency. I'm pretty sure the Jets can get a 2014 1st any time before the NFL trading deadline during the 2013 season.
Totally agree....Cincy got a haul dealing Palmer mid season....I am very confident that Jets could get a 2014 1st at any time. Thats not going to help the team this year so why take it now? Give Revis time to show he's healthy and back to All Pro status and deal with a team trying to make a Super Bowl run....or let it sink in to team Revis that he has to play on the current contract this year and if he gets hurt again or plays gimpy his tag will go way down. Maybe they can still sign him.....anyway - I agree - Tanny would panic and take the current deal. There is a new GM in town.

I also love that Idzik isn't gving into the "PSL pressure" of trying to put a band aid on the 2013 season by hurting the team's future. The only restructure that has impacted the 2014 cap was for Cromartie and he's a guy that should be part of their future plans with the way he's been playing.These signings have not been sexy, but they are filling holes for 2013 with decent cheap players hoping to perhaps catch lightening in a bottle - they are not making any stupid "splash" type signings just to sell 2013 tickets.I've said all along that 2013 is going to be a down season and that the main goal should be letting bad contracts die so that the 2014 and beyond outlook is brighter.If the team hits on its 2013 picks and continues to shop at the FA bargain bin it's on its way. Heck if Rex works some magic with what he's given he may even save his job and get a talent influx for 2014.
Also agree - didnt expect big signings this year but like the ones they have made. Cheap high upside guys with reasonable deals. Key depth....while still maintaing a good position for 2014. I would not be shocked if this team quietly makes a respectable run this year....doubt they will make the playoffs but wouldnt be shocked with an 8-8 year...2013 is all about letting bad deals expire, creating depth, youth and speed gearing for 2014. If they do this right they will be in a good position to be challenging for the AFC East as Brady finishes his incredible run.

The issue with saying they'll get that trade any time before the trade deadline is if Revis plays and does not look like the old Revis, then they won't

The gamble the jets take is if they take this into the season they are the ones taking a risk on how Revis will bounce back physically.

I am not saying it is a bad risk, but that is the risk.

The issue with saying they'll get that trade any time before the trade deadline is if Revis plays and does not look like the old Revis, then they won'tThe gamble the jets take is if they take this into the season they are the ones taking a risk on how Revis will bounce back physically. I am not saying it is a bad risk, but that is the risk.
The other risk is the number of potential suitors decreases. If the Bucs start 1-3, are they trading a first rounder for Revis? If the Falcons secondary plays well early in the year, will they? The Palmer deal was a fluke for several reasons and should never be used as precedent for how to manage a team.I'm not saying the Jets must move Revis now, but I do think there is more risk than reward by waiting to trade him. Not to mention the time value of a draft pick, as they can't get a 2013 pick in June.

Doesn't Revis still have an injury to get over?

When will he be ready for full scalle action?

Why wouldn't most teams wait until he plays a game or two in preseason or the regular season to ensure he is the Revis of old and make a trade in-season? That would also ensure that his value will be maximized.

ETA: Ok, I see this has been discussed already. While it's true the number of potential suitors will likely decrease in-season on the other hand they may also increase as teams look for the one piece they really need to get to the next level while at the same time the magnitude of the need or desperation to add that one 'missing piece' increases as well.

Personally I'd say take TB's 2014 first or their 2013 second and move on.

Doesn't Revis still have an injury to get over?When will he be ready for full scalle action?Why wouldn't most teams wait until he plays a game or two in preseason or the regular season to ensure he is the Revis of old and make a trade in-season? That would also ensure that his value will be maximized.
Agree. I think the guys posting above saying they are certain the Jets can make a deal any tiem are overlooking things like "What if he DOESN'T pop back to form" or "what if the teams want to start working on their team based on who they have NOW"? I'm sure the Jets don't want to structure their team's defense based on the idea that Revis is going to effectively eliminate half the field and then look up one morning after the scheme is installed and say "ok, scrap that. Let's start working on something else."It is in everyone's best interest to do a trade sooner than later. This isn't fantasy. The teams and players need time to get to know what they are working with.

The issue with saying they'll get that trade any time before the trade deadline is if Revis plays and does not look like the old Revis, then they won'tThe gamble the jets take is if they take this into the season they are the ones taking a risk on how Revis will bounce back physically. I am not saying it is a bad risk, but that is the risk.
The other risk is the number of potential suitors decreases. If the Bucs start 1-3, are they trading a first rounder for Revis? If the Falcons secondary plays well early in the year, will they? The Palmer deal was a fluke for several reasons and should never be used as precedent for how to manage a team.I'm not saying the Jets must move Revis now, but I do think there is more risk than reward by waiting to trade him. Not to mention the time value of a draft pick, as they can't get a 2013 pick in June.
For every Tampa that fades will be a team that makes a run and could use Revis. If the best deal is a 2014 1st rder - why do that now? That can be had later....I'm not saying use Palmer as a precedent but it did show that teams will pay during the season if its the right player...I think Revis is that type of player. What about the risk on Revis? He could probably get a $10M-$11M per yr deal now from the Jets....if he shows up gimpy or gets reinjured he's probably looking at $8M per yr. So he has incentive to play well - if he does lousy then Jets could extend him for less so its a very fluid situation.

I'm only advocating waiting if no one is willing to pay a high enough pick in 2013 for him.

For every Tampa that fades will be a team that makes a run and could use Revis. If the best deal is a 2014 1st rder - why do that now? That can be had later....I'm not saying use Palmer as a precedent but it did show that teams will pay during the season if its the right player...I think Revis is that type of player. What about the risk on Revis? He could probably get a $10M-$11M per yr deal now from the Jets....if he shows up gimpy or gets reinjured he's probably looking at $8M per yr. So he has incentive to play well - if he does lousy then Jets could extend him for less so its a very fluid situation.
No team is going to give up a 2014 first rounder without extending Revis as part of the trade. The number of teams willing to work on a 50-80 million dollar negotiation during week 4 is pretty low, IMO. As teams use more of their cap, they pull themselves out of the Revis race. It's possible that a team plays well but needs a corner and has money to spend and is willing to sign Revis to a long-term deal during the season, but there's a lot of risk involved in hoping that unfolds. If Revis stays with the Jets through the 2013 season, he'll void his contract afterwards and cost the team $9m in dead money in 2014. That can't happen.

No team is going to give up a 2014 first rounder without extending Revis as part of the trade. The number of teams willing to work on a 50-80 million dollar negotiation during week 4 is pretty low, IMO. As teams use more of their cap, they pull themselves out of the Revis race. It's possible that a team plays well but needs a corner and has money to spend and is willing to sign Revis to a long-term deal during the season, but there's a lot of risk involved in hoping that unfolds. If Revis stays with the Jets through the 2013 season, he'll void his contract afterwards and cost the team $9m in dead money in 2014. That can't happen.
My gut says thats why he will either be traded or extended by the draft....however - with so much $ coming of the books in 2014 its not impossible that the Jets roll the dice and keep him during the season looking for a better deal.

My gut says thats why he will either be traded or extended by the draft....however - with so much $ coming of the books in 2014 its not impossible that the Jets roll the dice and keep him during the season looking for a better deal.
But short of working out a long term extension, Revis cannot be a Jet after 2013. Teams will leverage that fact in their negotiations to pay less.

But short of working out a long term extension, Revis cannot be a Jet after 2013. Teams will leverage that fact in their negotiations to pay less.
Sure he can - the deal can expire and the Jets can sign him to a new deal like any other team. Obviously an extension would be the preference based on the dead $ cap hit and the risk of him walking for nothing....but if the market is dictating $8M-$10M and he still wants $16M the Jets could let him try to get his $ elsewhere and either match it or beat it. As I said obviously an extension or a deal is a much better option.... my point is Idzik can play poker all the way to the in season trading deadline.

Sure he can - the deal can expire and the Jets can sign him to a new deal like any other team. Obviously an extension would be the preference based on the dead $ cap hit and the risk of him walking for nothing....but if the market is dictating $8M-$10M and he still wants $16M the Jets could let him try to get his $ elsewhere and either match it or beat it. As I said obviously an extension or a deal is a much better option.... my point is Idzik can play poker all the way to the in season trading deadline.
he sure canbut he could lose

So you're saying the fact that Revis could potentially be on the open market as a free agent is why teams would be incentivized to give up more in a trade? Hmm.

So you're saying the fact that Revis could potentially be on the open market as a free agent is why teams would be incentivized to give up more in a trade? Hmm.
No...a team would make the deal in season to hopefully add him as a missing piece in its Super Bowl run........I was just pointing out that even if revis plays out all of 2013 as a Jet he still could be resigned.

Interesting Revis update - Jets GM playing it as well as he can....$15M per yr? I'll take the picks. Would love to squeeze a 3rd this year if possible but 2014 is where its at anyway! Jets would have lots of ammo to finally land a franchise QB

SI's Peter King reports Tampa Bay would likely trade its first- and second-round picks in 2014 for Darrelle Revis.

The holdup is the Jets' desire for picks this year, and Bucs GM Mark Dominik is reluctant to give up the No. 13 overall selection. As King points out, it's not a smart move by the Jets to hold out for this year's selection. They should take the two 2014 picks in what is shaping up to be a much better quarterback class. Per King, Tampa would be willing to pay Revis "in the neighborhood" of $15 million annually. The Bucs are the only team in the hunt for Revis. It's probably a matter of time before the sides reach a compromise.

Interesting Revis update - Jets GM playing it as well as he can....$15M per yr? I'll take the picks. Would love to squeeze a 3rd this year if possible but 2014 is where its at anyway! Jets would have lots of ammo to finally land a franchise QBSI's Peter King reports Tampa Bay would likely trade its first- and second-round picks in 2014 for Darrelle Revis.The holdup is the Jets' desire for picks this year, and Bucs GM Mark Dominik is reluctant to give up the No. 13 overall selection. As King points out, it's not a smart move by the Jets to hold out for this year's selection. They should take the two 2014 picks in what is shaping up to be a much better quarterback class. Per King, Tampa would be willing to pay Revis "in the neighborhood" of $15 million annually. The Bucs are the only team in the hunt for Revis. It's probably a matter of time before the sides reach a compromise.
I would do this trade in a second. Two firsts and two seconds next year? Absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread