What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (2 Viewers)

I'm excited. Rex Ryan is still in control. A dyed in the wool personnel guy was not hired as the next GM. Motorcyle Marty Mornhinweg is the new offensive coordinator. Things could not be better.

I like this hire and I like mm as oc.. Changing to the west coast offense should seal Sanchez fate who is ot accurate passer at all so that gives me some hope.To call idzik a cap guy is unfair, I read his bio and he appears to have the diverse resume you look for in a top guy, comes from a football family, played, coached, scouted, and front office as well. He's got hi work cut out for him with no franchise qbs on the roster, but I Ike the direction.Tough decisions await on the cap, revis, qb, etc... But with. A top 10 pick hopefully he can begin to turn this thing around.

I would have preferred a slam dunk "personnel" guy with a hardcore scouting background but I like a lot of what I read about Idzik. In the end, they hired somebody who wasn't Scott Cohen, so I'm at least a little bit pleased. I also like MM as OC. He's not some offensive genius, but at least it symbolizes a transition in offensive philosophy. I'm of the opinion that you can't win big as a run-first team anymore. However, going with a West Coast type offense is a solid choice if you still want to maintain some form of "ball control" and win on the back of an elite defense. (not saying the Jets have an elite defense, but they could if they hit on 1 or 2 LB's over the next couple of years and manage to keep Revis). Now lets start fixing this mess. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannenbaum's biggest miss wasn't TebowBy James Walker | ESPN.com
Former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum took ownership for the infamous Tim Tebow trade that will define his tenure. In an interview Tuesday with ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini, Tannenbaum said he has no regrets but admits his trade bombed. That is commendable.However, to think Tebow was Tannenbaum's biggest mistake is unfortunate and misleading. Tannenbaum's gross mismanagement of the salary cap is a much more crushing blow to New York. That is the reason the Jets are in a current state of instability even after Tannenbaum's departure. Yes, Tannenbaum wrongfully orchestrated the Tebow trade. It was a disaster from the start. But, as Tannenbaum said, that was just one transaction of many. In a few weeks Tebow will simply be a bad, one-year experiment after the Jets cut ties with the popular backup quarterback this offseason. "Tebowmania" will be a small footnote in the Jets' lengthy history.But what about Tannenbaun's decision to sign fellow quarterback Mark Sanchez to a $58.25 million extension last March? That includes a guaranteed $8.25 million salary that New York is stuck with next season. What about Tannenbaum's $45 million contract to controversial receiver Santonio Holmes that New York still has on the books? Or the constant restructuring of veteran players to save now but take the cap hit later?Tannenbaum continued to push back cost until someone else had to foot the bill. New general manager John Idzik is now that person who has to clean up the major mess Tannenbaum created.The repercussions from Tannenbaum's cap mismanagement will continue to haunt the Jets for the foreseeable future. It most likely will take at least two years for the Jets to clean house and build a new contender. With the Jets currently more than $19 million over the cap, 2013 could essentially become a throw-away season. It also could cost coach Rex Ryan his job if he doesn't win enough games with a scant roster. To some degree, Ryan can blame Tannenbaum for that.Tebow will be remembered as the most overhyped and counterproductive transaction of Tannenbaum's regime. Yet, it Tannenbaum's large contracts and poor cap management that will stick with the Jets much longer.

Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum admits the five-year, $58.25 million extension he gave Mark Sanchez last March "doesn’t look very good.""Our thinking on that was Mark is only one of five QBs in the history of pro football to win 30 or more games in his first three years," Tannenbaum said Tuesday. "Get cost certainty from a standpoint of we know what he’s going to cost and he gets the benefit of some security." Tannenbaum also insisted the Jets' cap situation isn't as dire as it's been portrayed. "You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. ... There’s a very detailed plan there

Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum admits the five-year, $58.25 million extension he gave Mark Sanchez last March "doesn’t look very good.""Our thinking on that was Mark is only one of five QBs in the history of pro football to win 30 or more games in his first three years," Tannenbaum said Tuesday. "Get cost certainty from a standpoint of we know what he’s going to cost and he gets the benefit of some security." Tannenbaum also insisted the Jets' cap situation isn't as dire as it's been portrayed. "You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. ... There’s a very detailed plan there
In fairness it's much easier to say the Sanchez extension was a horrible decision after his horrendous 2012 season. He was absolutely horrible last season and it's very unfortunate that his cap hit is now an albatross, but Tannebaum's rationale for the extension before the season isn't completely without merit.Sanchez' 2011 season wasn't great by any means, as his sloppiness with the football was really starting to become a major issue during that season, but he did score 32 TDs (26 passing and 6 rushing) and at the start of the season he was looking like he was developing into a QB that was worthy of the top 5 pick they paid. His downfall started at Baltimore when Mangold was out and he was absolutely destroyed by the Raven pass rush that game - he never seemed to recover from that ### kicking and looked shellshocked going forward, but he still showed some flashes of talent despite the turnovers.While he was hardly the reason the Jets made two straight AFC championship games, he did play very well in those playoff games and wasn't just along for the ride. Under the pressure of the playoffs he stepped up and completed a lot of key passes. It's hard to not think he was destined for a pretty decent career after his first two seasons.Of course I certainly wish they didn't offer him the extension in order to try and make him feel better about their pursuit of Peyton Manning - which was a waste of time in the first place as there was no way he was playing for Rex Ryan - but like I said it's much easier to say that in hindsight then it was at the time.

wow, Mr T stepped up and took the blame for their downfall
Yes he did. Not sure if they paid him off or what went on there, but he certainly fell on the sword for the organization. He was on both local stations on my drive home and had not one harsh word for Woody or Rex despite them making him the fall guy.

Yes he did. Not sure if they paid him off or what went on there, but he certainly fell on the sword for the organization. He was on both local stations on my drive home and had not one harsh word for Woody or Rex despite them making him the fall guy.
If you were an NFL team looking to hire someone in your front office would you hire the guy who took shots at everyone in his old org on the way out the door? I think not.-QG

If you were an NFL team looking to hire someone in your front office would you hire the guy who took shots at everyone in his old org on the way out the door? I think not.-QG
True. I wouldn't expect him to be trashing the Jets, but at the same token by taking all the heat for each poor decision (especially the Tebow decision which was always reported as a Johnson mandate) he's also not doing himself any favors for getting a new GM job.He also seemed to indicate that he's looking for a role in the broadcast media field and although it's sad to say, going out guns blazing and slamming the Jets may have been a better strategy for getting a job at ESPN. :unsure:

I would have preferred a slam dunk "personnel" guy with a hardcore scouting background but I like a lot of what I read about Idzik. In the end, they hired somebody who wasn't Scott Cohen, so I'm at least a little bit pleased.

I also like MM as OC. He's not some offensive genius, but at least it symbolizes a transition in offensive philosophy. I'm of the opinion that you can't win big as a run-first team anymore. However, going with a West Coast type offense is a solid choice if you still want to maintain some form of "ball control" and win on the back of an elite defense. (not saying the Jets have an elite defense, but they could if they hit on 1 or 2 LB's over the next couple of years and manage to keep Revis).

Now lets start fixing this mess. :thumbup:
I'm not sure that's a true statement. Teams will often run more when they're winning late (which doesn't mean running equals a win), but... The top 5 teams in rushing attempts were Seahawks, Redskins, Patriots, Texans, Chiefs.

The top 5 teams in rushing yards were Redskins, Vikings, Seahawks, Niners, Chiefs.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Kool-Aid Larry said:
Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum admits the five-year, $58.25 million extension he gave Mark Sanchez last March "doesn’t look very good."

"Our thinking on that was Mark is only one of five QBs in the history of pro football to win 30 or more games in his first three years," Tannenbaum said Tuesday. "Get cost certainty from a standpoint of we know what he’s going to cost and he gets the benefit of some security." Tannenbaum also insisted the Jets' cap situation isn't as dire as it's been portrayed. "You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. ... There’s a very detailed plan there
In fairness it's much easier to say the Sanchez extension was a horrible decision after his horrendous 2012 season. He was absolutely horrible last season and it's very unfortunate that his cap hit is now an albatross, but Tannebaum's rationale for the extension before the season isn't completely without merit.Sanchez' 2011 season wasn't great by any means, as his sloppiness with the football was really starting to become a major issue during that season, but he did score 32 TDs (26 passing and 6 rushing) and at the start of the season he was looking like he was developing into a QB that was worthy of the top 5 pick they paid. His downfall started at Baltimore when Mangold was out and he was absolutely destroyed by the Raven pass rush that game - he never seemed to recover from that ### kicking and looked shellshocked going forward, but he still showed some flashes of talent despite the turnovers.

While he was hardly the reason the Jets made two straight AFC championship games, he did play very well in those playoff games and wasn't just along for the ride. Under the pressure of the playoffs he stepped up and completed a lot of key passes. It's hard to not think he was destined for a pretty decent career after his first two seasons.

Of course I certainly wish they didn't offer him the extension in order to try and make him feel better about their pursuit of Peyton Manning - which was a waste of time in the first place as there was no way he was playing for Rex Ryan - but like I said it's much easier to say that in hindsight then it was at the time.
He did look like he had a nice future after the 2010 playoffs, but he made virtually no improvement (other than TD's) in 2011. The TD's were nice, but in 2011 he only completed 56% of his passes, had 18 INT's and his YPA was 6.4, which was the lowest of his career. However, the deal they gave him didn't amount to much more money and was a cap savings deal rather than showing any belief in Sanchez. Besides giving them some extra cap room it gave them an extra couple of years on his contract just in case he finally played well. Sanchez had one of the last big money rookie contracts and this is the type of problem they caused.

'Kool-Aid Larry said:
what a joke of a comment....is he Sanchez's agent or the GM? So as a GM he doesn't realize how he's benefited from a very strong defense and excellent offensive line (when Sanchez initially took over)? Anyone could have won behind on that team...when the foundation started to crack you quickly saw what kind of QB he really is. You didn't have to be a genius to see that...what a fraud Tannenbaum is.....

Jets gave up their dignity when thy acquired Tebow. They had to do the walk of shame every Sunday.

'Kool-Aid Larry said:
what a joke of a comment....is he Sanchez's agent or the GM? So as a GM he doesn't realize how he's benefited from a very strong defense and excellent offensive line (when Sanchez initially took over)? Anyone could have won behind on that team...when the foundation started to crack you quickly saw what kind of QB he really is. You didn't have to be a genius to see that...what a fraud Tannenbaum is.....
He's also leaving out the real reason he did the extension for Sanchex - it freed up $ in the short term for him to sign some players....without the extension Sanchez was a much bigger cap hit...Tanny gambled one more high priced year in exchange for some short term flexibility and it blew up on him. Tanny came off like a guy who was paid to fall on the sword...I dont trust woody at all and dont put it past him to throw Tanny some extra band aids to take the fall.

why does every thread on all the other teams have "Official 2013 ... Thread" and we are stuck with NY Jets Disaster as our thread title?

why does every thread on all the other teams have "Official 2013 ... Thread" and we are stuck with NY Jets Disaster as our thread title?
This is the same syndrome that the Giants of the 70s had. All the NFL official team videos, even for the worst teams, would have some sort of hopeful title to them. Except the Giants. There's was titled "Fumbled Dreams" :) -QG

"I don't think I would have signed a quarterback to an extension knowing that he'd have 26 turnovers," Tannenbaum said Thursday on "NFL AM" when asked about the gaudy deal Sanchez received last March. "That might be one of the reasons I'm right sitting here with you guys. Not that this is not a great place to spend Valentine's Day."Just for reference, Sanchez also had exactly 26 turnovers in 2011 and Tannenbaum actually did sign him to an extension. You can't make this stuff up with the Jets.

'petenice15 said:
"I don't think I would have signed a quarterback to an extension knowing that he'd have 26 turnovers," Tannenbaum said Thursday on "NFL AM" when asked about the gaudy deal Sanchez received last March. "That might be one of the reasons I'm right sitting here with you guys. Not that this is not a great place to spend Valentine's Day."Just for reference, Sanchez also had exactly 26 turnovers in 2011 and Tannenbaum actually did sign him to an extension. You can't make this stuff up with the Jets.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: this may actually be the best post I've ever read on this board, and I'm not being sarcastic.

'petenice15 said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: this may actually be the best post I've ever read on this board, and I'm not being sarcastic.
Wasn't someone questioning at few posts ago why the Jets thread is labelled '"disaster"? I think today's quote from a "salary cap guru" summed it up.

'petenice15 said:
Wasn't someone questioning at few posts ago why the Jets thread is labelled '"disaster"? I think today's quote from a "salary cap guru" summed it up.
But again, I'm as happy as I can be this offseason... THAT GUY was fired!!!I wanted that guy fired for a long time - How can you have a GM that never scouted, played, coached or did anything with FOOTBALL other than #'s?Another Parcells parting Gift.

Jet disaster continues - Revis goes public and shows why even though he's the Jets best player...the guy will never be happy. Constant griped about being paid - whind about being shopped. I've had it and personally ready to move on. Except our beloved former GM pissed away all leverage by not allowing the Jets to franchise Revis. So at this point its either extend him or trade him now. More Jet luck - he is coming off ACL surgery and is essentially a 1 yr rental unless an extension can be worked out with a trade partner. This reminds me of the John Abraham trade few yrs back- if I recall the Jets shopped him...Atlanta put forth the best offer and the Jets allowed Atlanta to talk contract with him...they agreed on a contract so the trade went through. If they didnt agree on a contract the trade would not be finalized. Jets received a late 1st rd pick which turned out to be Mangold. Revis is a better player than Abe but Jets had the franchise tag still as leverage....I say it evens out in the end. Jets make a similar deal for a 1st and a 3rd. If they still had the franchise tag it would be for more....but a team like SF or Denver will jump at a late 1st and 3rd for Revis IMO. Its also best for the team at this point IMO. Only the Jets could land a top CB in NFL history and have him be a complete miserable money focused diva.....AND have the GM cash in the one piece of leverage the team had in keeping him. Who wants to change the "disaster" in the title? LOL

nyjets: Jets announce 3 veterans have been released--LB Calvin Pace, S Eric Smith, T Jason Smith--and TE Josh Baker has been waived.
This alone clears $26MM of cap space and they still haven't officially released Bart Scott yet.

nyjets: Jets announce 3 veterans have been released--LB Calvin Pace, S Eric Smith, T Jason Smith--and TE Josh Baker has been waived.
This alone clears $26MM of cap space and they still haven't officially released Bart Scott yet.
this was expected....Scott will be next to go. Gets them under the cap but they need a lot of starters.

this was expected....Scott will be next to go. Gets them under the cap but they need a lot of starters.
Yep. They only have 10-11 starters from last season under contract and unfortunately one of them is Sanchez. Bart Scott gets them another $7.5 MM under the cap. It was never really as dire as people wanted to make it out to be. They're still not in great shape by any means, about $10 MM under with lots of holes to fill, but it's a little bit more managable now.I truly hope they don't make foolish moves to get further under (restructuring guys that they don't need long term) and/or make any bad signings to patch holes that will hurt their future cap space. 2013 should be all about letting some more bad contracts (Sanchez, Holmes, etc.) die and get off the books. There's little chance of them doing much this season anyway so lets give the team a chamce to make some noise in 2014.

Jets ILB Bart Scott will meet with the team on Thursday regarding a possible pay-cut.Scott wasn't part of the Jets' initial cap purge on Tuesday, but will join Calvin Pace and company on the street soon enough if he isn't willing to dramatically slash his scheduled $6.9 million salary. Releasing Scott would free up roughly $8 million in cap space, so it's possible no amount of haggling will save his job. Scott wasn't a liability in 2012, but is no longer an impact player.
Just release him. I'd like for Damario Davis to get those snaps anyway.

Jets ILB Bart Scott will meet with the team on Thursday regarding a possible pay-cut.Scott wasn't part of the Jets' initial cap purge on Tuesday, but will join Calvin Pace and company on the street soon enough if he isn't willing to dramatically slash his scheduled $6.9 million salary. Releasing Scott would free up roughly $8 million in cap space, so it's possible no amount of haggling will save his job. Scott wasn't a liability in 2012, but is no longer an impact player.
Just release him. I'd like for Demario Davis to get those snaps anyway.
:yes:Rather just cut bait and see what the young guy can do and if he can succeed. No sense in having a guy like Scott around at this point.

Yep. They only have 10-11 starters from last season under contract and unfortunately one of them is Sanchez. Bart Scott gets them another $7.5 MM under the cap. It was never really as dire as people wanted to make it out to be. They're still not in great shape by any means, about $10 MM under with lots of holes to fill, but it's a little bit more managable now.I truly hope they don't make foolish moves to get further under (restructuring guys that they don't need long term) and/or make any bad signings to patch holes that will hurt their future cap space. 2013 should be all about letting some more bad contracts (Sanchez, Holmes, etc.) die and get off the books. There's little chance of them doing much this season anyway so lets give the team a chamce to make some noise in 2014.
Tanny was this so called cap guru...all he did was extend contracts so he could use the money and kept pushing off the final bill. Well guess what - its time to pay the bill. No more extending - pay the piper one more year and 2014 the team will be in very good financial shape.

Tanny was this so called cap guru...all he did was extend contracts so he could use the money and kept pushing off the final bill. Well guess what - its time to pay the bill. No more extending - pay the piper one more year and 2014 the team will be in very good financial shape.
I agree with you, and this will be an interesting test to see how much sway Rex has over Izdik. The franchise would be better off not re-negotiating any deals (Harris, Holmes, Mangold) and guaranteeing that they'll be on the team for multiple years. Of course, Rex will want the opposite for the Jets to free up enough money to keep players like Landry and Keller so the Jets can be more competitive. We'll see what happens.

Don't think this has been posted yet, but here's a long, extensive article about all of the options for the Jets cap...

Part 1

You can click through to parts 2 and 3.

IMO, David Harris is the most interesting case of the players that are left. (minus Revis of course) You can click the link to read, but the short version is that you extend Harris out another 2 years with reasonable salaries to spread out the signing bonus hit and lower his absurd cap number for 2013.

Right now, his cap number is 13 Mil this year and 7 Mil next year. (save 5 mil if they cut him after next season with only 2 mil of dead money. Cutting him now leaves you 9 mil in dead, which is obviously stupid). By extending him 2 additional years, (again, details in how it gets done in part 2 of the article) you lower his 2013 cap number from 13 Mil to 6 mil, drop next years from 7 to 6 and give him 2 additional years at 7.5 and 8.6. (these are cap numbers, not total compensation). After that point, he's probably close to done (he'll be pushing 33)

Harris isn't an elite player, but he's pretty good. If they don't see him as part of the team after the re-build, (2013 is already a lost cause unless a QB, 2 pass rushers, a healthy content Revis, a running back and 2 safeties fall out of the sky) its probably better to just stay put, eat his huge cap hold and cut him after next season.

Don't think this has been posted yet, but here's a long, extensive article about all of the options for the Jets cap...Part 1You can click through to parts 2 and 3.IMO, David Harris is the most interesting case of the players that are left. (minus Revis of course) You can click the link to read, but the short version is that you extend Harris out another 2 years with reasonable salaries to spread out the signing bonus hit and lower his absurd cap number for 2013. Right now, his cap number is 13 Mil this year and 7 Mil next year. (save 5 mil if they cut him after next season with only 2 mil of dead money. Cutting him now leaves you 9 mil in dead, which is obviously stupid). By extending him 2 additional years, (again, details in how it gets done in part 2 of the article) you lower his 2013 cap number from 13 Mil to 6 mil, drop next years from 7 to 6 and give him 2 additional years at 7.5 and 8.6. (these are cap numbers, not total compensation). After that point, he's probably close to done (he'll be pushing 33) Harris isn't an elite player, but he's pretty good. If they don't see him as part of the team after the re-build, (2013 is already a lost cause unless a QB, 2 pass rushers, a healthy content Revis, a running back and 2 safeties fall out of the sky) its probably better to just stay put, eat his huge cap hold and cut him after next season.
Harris has regressed IMO - I dont think hes worth any big $ any more and as they arent going to compete in 2013 I would just take my medicine and cut bait in 2014...no more guaranteeing salaries for shaky players. Rex will no doubt be in the GMs ear to be do exactly that and try to be competitive short term....its what got them in this mess in the 1st place. Its gotta stop....

the ny media is ridiculous, everyone and their mother knew Pace and Scott was gone this yr; their replacements were drafted last yr. The Jets are now under the Cap after one day and the only in-house FAs they need to worry about is Landry and Keller, this just proves that Tanny was a fall guy.

the ny media is ridiculous, everyone and their mother knew Pace and Scott was gone this yr; their replacements were drafted last yr. The Jets are now under the Cap after one day and the only in-house FAs they need to worry about is Landry and Keller, this just proves that Tanny was a fall guy.
gotta disagree with youJets have zero playmakers on O, little to no depth and some horrific contracts on the books for 2013 with minimal money to improve....Tanny deserved to go.

The Sanchez extension alone was enough reason to fire Tannenbaum. He had done nothing to earn it and it was totally unnecessary. It was basically an "oops, Peyton didn't want to come here so lets throw a bunch of money at Mark so people will think we have confidence in him" extension. Words can't describe how stupid it was. (especially knowing that Revis would likely want to re-negotiate this off-season) Tannenbaum also wasted a 2nd round pick on Vlad Ducasse, (I'm sure Rex had input, but if you're the GM, draft picks are ultimately your responsibility) a small school guard with no big time football experience. Unless you have a 100% guaranteed stud, there is NO Reason to draft a guard that early, let alone a project guard. The Big Ten spits out 4th round guards that start in the NFL for a decade every single season. You don't have to teach them how to pass block. You plug them into the lineup and worry about replacing them 8 years later. Santonio Holmes' contract looks awful now, but the Jets had to pay either him or Braylon (couldn't make Sanchez start from scratch) so I can't knock Tannenbaum for that. Someone else would have paid him, even though he's a diva and a moron.But my 2nd biggest issue with Tannenbaum (behind Sanchez's contract) was the indefensible decision to guarantee Pace and Scott's contracts for 2012. They did this in order to clear room to sign Asomouhga (dodged a bullet there) but actually went through and processed the re-structures before Aso signed. This move basically guaranteed that their 2012 LB core would be awful. Again, there's no defending this one. It wasn't the team's biggest problem this year, but it certainly didn't help and was totally avoidable.

'KellysHeroes said:
'Kiddnets said:
Well, while the cap situation was greatly exxagerated it's still not exactly a rosy picture. The team is only $10MM under the cap right now, and a little over $5MM of that will be needed to sign all 7 draft picks (assuming not trades). That leaves $5MM to fill some major holes:Matt Slausen and Bradon Moore are both UFA - Does anyone have any confidence in Vladimir Ducasse filling one of those G slots?Dustin Keller is a UFA - he is one of their best weapons in the passing game and while the Jets will meet with him, its seems unlikely that they can pay him what he'll get on the open market. That leaves Jeff Cumberland or a bargain basement TE.Shonn Greene is a UFA - he's not a big loss, but will need to be replaced - hopefully through the draft.LaRon Landry and Yerimiah Bell are both UFAs - both played real well and Erik Smith was released. This is a huge hole that will be tough to fill with later draft picks and little cap space.Mike Devito is a UFA - he's a solid depth d-linemen who perhaps can be resigned cheaply.Those are the major holes to fill - and they also need a OLB/DE which hopefully the 1.09 produces and could use help at WR and of course a QB to compete with Sanchez (hopefully one that can beat him).That's why 2013 needs to be a year to suck it up and let some bad contracts die. If they try to "band-aide" the situation for 2013 - everything will need to start all over again eventually

'KellysHeroes said:
'Kiddnets said:
Well, while the cap situation was greatly exxagerated it's still not exactly a rosy picture. The team is only $10MM under the cap right now, and a little over $5MM of that will be needed to sign all 7 draft picks (assuming not trades). That leaves $5MM to fill some major holes:Matt Slausen and Bradon Moore are both UFA - Does anyone have any confidence in Vladimir Ducasse filling one of those G slots?Dustin Keller is a UFA - he is one of their best weapons in the passing game and while the Jets will meet with him, its seems unlikely that they can pay him what he'll get on the open market. That leaves Jeff Cumberland or a bargain basement TE.Shonn Greene is a UFA - he's not a big loss, but will need to be replaced - hopefully through the draft.LaRon Landry and Yerimiah Bell are both UFAs - both played real well and Erik Smith was released. This is a huge hole that will be tough to fill with later draft picks and little cap space.Mike Devito is a UFA - he's a solid depth d-linemen who perhaps can be resigned cheaply.Those are the major holes to fill - and they also need a OLB/DE which hopefully the 1.09 produces and could use help at WR and of course a QB to compete with Sanchez (hopefully one that can beat him).That's why 2013 needs to be a year to suck it up and let some bad contracts die. If they try to "band-aide" the situation for 2013 - everything will need to start all over again eventually
After the 2013 season - the following comes off the books:Sanchez $8.3MCromarte $9.5MHomes: $8.25Harris $5MPouha: $5.5MThats about $37M by releasing 5 players - could be much more assuming Revis is traded or leaves via FA. So this reinforces the no more band aid position....go all into the draft this year. Try to get as many picks as possible to fill the holes. Have one more lousy season (which is inevitable anyway) - then all in on 2014. High draft pick in a very good draft plus lots of money for FAs. Only thing that can screw it up is extending a bunch of lousy contracts. Just say no to Rex.

Darelle Revis makes More Per GAME than Richard Sherman makes a season - AND, he wants to make 2x or leave....Heck, I'll take Sherman!!!!!!!What really sucks about the NY media and how they become part of the fabric is that if Richard Sherman played in NY - say for the Giants, The NY mediots with Cimini leading the way would be the one's asking Sherman when he is going to hold out for Revis Money!!!!!!!!In most cities it's not even a thought - For the Jets, these little DB twerps try to run the team!!!!

Looks like Jets shopped Revis hard during combine - also read that Izdek did it without Rex's input which is good to see....if they can get a 1st for Revis and maybe a mid rd 2013 or conditional 2014 pick a deal will get done. Love that the media is killing Woody acting like he is cheap for not wanting to pay Revis $20M per yr....unreal.

Looks like Jets shopped Revis hard during combine - also read that Izdek did it without Rex's input which is good to see....if they can get a 1st for Revis and maybe a mid rd 2013 or conditional 2014 pick a deal will get done. Love that the media is killing Woody acting like he is cheap for not wanting to pay Revis $20M per yr....unreal.
As much as I'd love for the team to keep Revis, you just can't pay a DB $16MM a year under a hard cap. If they can get the KC second and a few more picks from SF, while I'd be disappointed to see Revis gone, I'd be content with what the team was looking to accomplish.

On the other hand, news like this just goes to show you that Sanchez is going to be the starting QB next season. The "open competition" is just a show.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that free agent Brady Quinn will likely end up with the Jets.Per Mortensen, the Jets plan to sign two free-agent quarterbacks. Quinn has history with new Jets QBs coach David Lee, who "likes (Quinn) a lot." New York will reportedly bring five quarterbacks to training camp, not including Tim Tebow. In this scenario, Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, and Matt Simms would account for four, and they'd add one more free-agent veteran to the mix. Feb 27 - 5:50 PM
My guess is the 5th QB in the "compeition" is JaMarcus Russell or David Garrard.

As much as I'd love for the team to keep Revis, you just can't pay a DB $16MM a year under a hard cap. If they can get the KC second and a few more picks from SF, while I'd be disappointed to see Revis gone, I'd be content with what the team was looking to accomplish.
Totally agree - especially a team that is rebuilding. Not to mention Revis is never happy and will want a new contract in 2 years.

On the other hand, news like this just goes to show you that Sanchez is going to be the starting QB next season. The "open competition" is just a show.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that free agent Brady Quinn will likely end up with the Jets.Per Mortensen, the Jets plan to sign two free-agent quarterbacks. Quinn has history with new Jets QBs coach David Lee, who "likes (Quinn) a lot." New York will reportedly bring five quarterbacks to training camp, not including Tim Tebow. In this scenario, Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, and Matt Simms would account for four, and they'd add one more free-agent veteran to the mix. Feb 27 - 5:50 PM
My guess is the 5th QB in the "compeition" is JaMarcus Russell or David Garrard.
I think it will be a rookie - likely a 2d or 3d rder.

I think it will be a rookie - likely a 2d or 3d rder.
Garrard brought in today - I hope you end up being right.
The Jets worked out free agent QB David Garrard on Thursday.Garrard, 35, was is Dolphins camp last year before a knee scope put him on the trainer's table. He was later released, but at one point he was believed to be the front-runner for the starting job. Garrard hasn't appeared in an NFL game since 2010, when he started 14 games for the Jaguars and threw for 2,734 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions. New York would be one of his better opportunities for a starting job.

Users who are viewing this thread