What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next WR Freak (1 Viewer)

Riflemen

Footballguy
Their are a lot of interesting WR's in the 4th through 6 rounds this year. Physical specimens that were highly drafted and highly successful in college. I've been looking at lots of youtube film on these guys and I'm more confused than ever. Who is going to be the next great BIG receiver to emerge as a top 3 option in the next 2 or 3 years out of these players?

Crabtree, Nicks, Dez Bryant, and D. Bowe? All are physical specimens dripping with talent. All have issues (situation, attitude, maturity, and injury history)

My initial rankings are Nicks, Bowe, Bryant and Crabtree. Very tough to rank these guys for now and the future. Dynasty rankings have them all ranked differently. What's the Shark Pool take?

I'd take Dez Bryant out of that group. He has the natural skills to be an absolute stud, IMO. I do not see either of the next group as having megastar potential, though I do feel Nicks and Crabtree will become Top 10 receivers during their careers. Bowe is a step down still; I think he can be (and as shown he can be) a solid possession receiver, just not an elite weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Nicks, but I think that offense will spread the ball around too much. So I'll go with Bryant, although I'm surprised not to see Mike Williams on the list.

There are some other names that could be considered especially Mike Williams and D. Thomas in Den. Big fast guys in the 6-1 214 lbs range. I didn't include them because they aren't being drafted in that 4th to 6th round range. Sidney Rice should be included but he would have been picked before the 4th round in a normal draft.

As for Bowe. Is he really a possession type receiver? He's definitely good underneath but he sure can make some big plays as well. I really think that this is the year that it all clicks for Bowe and he'll put up big numbers. 1200 yds and 10 td's with upside for more. He's only 24 and he's entering his 4th year in the league. I think a lot of people are overlooking him due to his past problems.

There are some other names that could be considered especially Mike Williams and D. Thomas in Den. Big fast guys in the 6-1 214 lbs range. I didn't include them because they aren't being drafted in that 4th to 6th round range. Sidney Rice should be included but he would have been picked before the 4th round in a normal draft.As for Bowe. Is he really a possession type receiver? He's definitely good underneath but he sure can make some big plays as well. I really think that this is the year that it all clicks for Bowe and he'll put up big numbers. 1200 yds and 10 td's with upside for more. He's only 24 and he's entering his 4th year in the league. I think a lot of people are overlooking him due to his past problems.
Bowe is not in the same class as Nicks and Crabtree, and has the worst QB of the bunch. 1200 yards and 10 TD's will not be reached by any of these guys this year. Bowe will be luckly to get 900 and 6 td's with his current QB.

There are some other names that could be considered especially Mike Williams and D. Thomas in Den. Big fast guys in the 6-1 214 lbs range. I didn't include them because they aren't being drafted in that 4th to 6th round range. Sidney Rice should be included but he would have been picked before the 4th round in a normal draft.As for Bowe. Is he really a possession type receiver? He's definitely good underneath but he sure can make some big plays as well. I really think that this is the year that it all clicks for Bowe and he'll put up big numbers. 1200 yds and 10 td's with upside for more. He's only 24 and he's entering his 4th year in the league. I think a lot of people are overlooking him due to his past problems.
Bowe is not in the same class as Nicks and Crabtree, and has the worst QB of the bunch. 1200 yards and 10 TD's will not be reached by any of these guys this year. Bowe will be luckly to get 900 and 6 td's with his current QB.
In 2008 Bowe had 86 catches 1000 yds and 7 TD's with Damon Huard, Tyler Thigpen and Brodie Croyle chucking it. I'll take Cassel over those guys.

Their are a lot of interesting WR's in the 4th through 6 rounds this year. Physical specimens that were highly drafted and highly successful in college. I've been looking at lots of youtube film on these guys and I'm more confused than ever. Who is going to be the next great BIG receiver to emerge as a top 3 option in the next 2 or 3 years out of these players? Crabtree, Nicks, Dez Bryant, and D. Bowe? All are physical specimens dripping with talent. All have issues (situation, attitude, maturity, and injury history)My initial rankings are Nicks, Bowe, Bryant and Crabtree. Very tough to rank these guys for now and the future. Dynasty rankings have them all ranked differently. What's the Shark Pool take?
I've currently got Crabtree 6th, Dez 10th, Nicks 19th, and Bowe 31st. FWIW.

Their are a lot of interesting WR's in the 4th through 6 rounds this year. Physical specimens that were highly drafted and highly successful in college. I've been looking at lots of youtube film on these guys and I'm more confused than ever. Who is going to be the next great BIG receiver to emerge as a top 3 option in the next 2 or 3 years out of these players? Crabtree, Nicks, Dez Bryant, and D. Bowe? All are physical specimens dripping with talent. All have issues (situation, attitude, maturity, and injury history)My initial rankings are Nicks, Bowe, Bryant and Crabtree. Very tough to rank these guys for now and the future. Dynasty rankings have them all ranked differently. What's the Shark Pool take?
Thanks for the rankings. What seperates Crabtree from the rest? They all have around the same straight line speed (4.49 Nicks and Williams to Bryant at 4.52). Is it hands, body control, seperation abilities, or situation? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how to rank these guys long term.

Michael Floyd.

Edit: I know you're looking for NFL guys, but once this guy gets drafted he will be the next stud.

Kuz said:
massraider said:
Seriously, in PPR, I think Mike Williams might outscore Dez this year.
Which one? Tampa Bay one?
There is only one. Other people can run out and grab that slug in Seattle. I like guys who were good in the last 5 years.
A Tampa Bay receiver being the next stud? I'll believe it when I see it.
I know. It feels weird to think it. But I think Freeman was a lot more ready to play than we were told last year, I think their line is decent, and I think there is no one else there to compete with for targets. Wish I had drafted him in my dynasty leagues, but I think he might be a strong PPR WR3 this year. And I love where he is being drafted.

SSOG said:
Riflemen said:
Your missing the boat bigtime on Bowe, IMOI'd go Dez Bowe Crabs Nicks

Riflemen said:
First off, I don't see any of these guys as freaks. Calvin Johnson is a freak. Randy Moss is a freak. They both have a combination of physical traits that aren't usually found in the same package. Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings in comparison, despite putting up top 10 numbers, are not freaks.If you are asking which of these guys you listed will be a top 3 rated WR in one of the next 2 or 3 seasons, I say none of them will. Because Calvin Johnson is still going to be here, as is Andre Johnson, as is Larry Fitzgerald, and perhaps Randy Moss in 2011. Roddy White will still be honing his craft as will Greg Jennings and (unless he decides to change his position to punter) so will Brandon Marshall.I think Nicks and Bryant are the best bets to crack the top 10 in the next 3 years. I'm not sure Bowe is gifted enough to get there without taking his craft more seriously than he has to date. He's had a good offseason, but there are question marks with the offense and we don't know if he can keep the wheels on long enough for the offense to gel around him. Crabtree is interesting because he isn't that tall, isn't that fast but just seems to have the knack for it. But his offense may keep him from getting there until there's a sea change in offensive philosophy (and QB).I'd concur with others in that Mike Williams-TB is a guy you need to have on that list. Nice physical talent but a bad attitude in the past who seems to have put that behind him. Kenny Britt is another guy that has his head getting in the way of what his body could make him capable of.Demaryius Thomas probably comes closest to the "freak" label in terms of physical potential but he's so raw (and injured) that I think he has a couple of years to go before he can fully bring that talent to bear consistently enough to hit the top 3. Guys like AJ, Fitz and Moss aren't just really, really talented, they are also good WR's in terms of the technical aspects of the craft.Think of it in these terms...Calvin Johnson is probably the freakiest of the freakiest and how many top 3 finishes does he have in his career so far? You are asking for a lot when you are asking which of the guys you listed will have a top 3 finish.

Dez Bryant will be the sexy answer, but I wouldn't call him a freak. We can't be sure (since he was never really measured), but I don't think he's particularly fast or even all that big. He just seems to be very good at getting open and/or catching balls.

If you are looking for an Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson/Vincent Jackson speed/size ratio freak, Bryant ain't it. Neither are Crabtree or Bowe.

Sometimes I think when people are focused on searching for the "next X", they forget about what makes X so special in the first place. To be that big and fast while at the same time being able to play the position is very rare combination. I'm not sure I see "another" one of those guys in the NFL right now. They may very well be just as successful in some other way (if you can get open and catch the ball, that's all that matters in the end), but they are in different categories to me.

I would lower expectations for Dez Bryant in redraft leagues and take all three guys listed ahead of him.

Randy Moss type rookie WR seasons don't come around very often, in fact Randy Moss had the only one so far.

Riflemen said:
Thanks for the rankings. What seperates Crabtree from the rest? They all have around the same straight line speed (4.49 Nicks and Williams to Bryant at 4.52). Is it hands, body control, seperation abilities, or situation? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how to rank these guys long term.
Crabtree, in my mind, is a surer thing.

I would lower expectations for Dez Bryant in redraft leagues and take all three guys listed ahead of him. Randy Moss type rookie WR seasons don't come around very often, in fact Randy Moss had the only one so far.
He specifically said that he was looking at dynasty rankings and thinking over the next 2-3 years.Also, Randy Moss rookie seasons might be rare, but 21 rookies have averaged more than 10 points per game in their rookie season (which would be the equivalent of an 1120/8 season from Dez). Randy Moss isn't even tops on the list- Bill Groman had 72/1473/12 back in the 14-game season days.

Riflemen said:
SSOG said:
Riflemen said:
Great thread! Although I agree with a few that we should open it up to more than just 4-5 round WRs. This is a valuable discussion.To the point of this particular post I'm having a hard time ranking Crabtree and Dez. In a dynasty startup I would select Crabtree over Dez even though I have Dez ranked higher. Although, I think that has more to do with opportunity. Crabtree is the starter (and #1 WR) now and Dez isn't. However, I do think Dez is the better talent. I think they are similar WRs with similar playing styles. Both have excellent body control and can go up and get a ball. What separates Dez in my mind is his build and work ethic. Despite the height and weight measurables don't show much difference, the pictures do in my mind. Dez looks thicker and stronger. Dez also seems to have the desire to be the best. On the other hand, Crabtree has had his work ethic question in the past. I still linger on his 'daily regime' when recovering from the foot surgery. He described himself sleeping in and eating junk food and pizza. I don't know but these things matter to me when trying to take a stab at predicting the best of the best. Even though I rank the long term potential of Dez higher I still can't pull the trigger on offering up Crabs for Dez straight up. I also don't have him higher in my rankings. I'm confused myself. The situations are just so different. Crabtree = poor QB, questionable long term team outlook, #1 WRDez = good qb, good Offense, team with a lot of other options, #2 WR (currently)Long term outlook of my top WR talentsDez[Decent Gap]Crabtree [big Gap]Nicks[small Gap]Bowe[big Gap]Demaryius - I love him but traded him away because of a huge bust potential imoThe bottom line is these are the only young WRs in the league I see having a shot at the Fitz, Andre, Moss, and Calvin(production hopefully finally comes) level of play. Crabtree will be fantasy relavent for a long, long time. I just don't see him ever approaching the domination of the NFL position as the aforementioned players. I do seem more possestion than big play out of him.Nicks seems to have the big play ability of the elite group; however, I don't see it happening as frequently as Fitz or Moss makes it happen.Bowe reminds me of Crabtree and I could see them having similar careers. Dez is the only one I could see reaching the elite level. He seems to have the work ethic, ball skills, and desire. He's not crazy fast but I think he is crazy athletic and in short spaces that can overcome straight line speed. I think Dez has the longest road to get there. I really think we'll see an Andre Johnson like career. It will take a few years, maybe a few injuries to overcome, but eventually everything will fall in place for him to start dominating as the #1 in Dallas. I just wouldn't expect it until his third year at the earliest.My Current Dynasty Rankings of year 1-3 wrs WRsDez Bryant WR7Desean WR9Crabtree WR11Nicks WR14Bowe WR16These are my only year 1-3 wrs in my top 20. And really I don't see super stud potential in Desean just a low floor for the next decade.Again despite my high ranking of Dez I can't pull the trigger on offers for Crabtree for Dez straight up. Maybe it's just my team makeup in those leagues but I just think Crabtree is going to be fantasy relevant in the next two years more so than Dez.

I actually think Percy Harvin best fits the definition of a freak talent. I think he's the future of the WR position in much the same way the MJD is the future of the RB position. Smaller guys with top notch speed that are extremely difficult to tackle both due to their quickness and thier power.

Gopher State said:
Riflemen said:
There are some other names that could be considered especially Mike Williams and D. Thomas in Den. Big fast guys in the 6-1 214 lbs range. I didn't include them because they aren't being drafted in that 4th to 6th round range. Sidney Rice should be included but he would have been picked before the 4th round in a normal draft.

As for Bowe. Is he really a possession type receiver? He's definitely good underneath but he sure can make some big plays as well. I really think that this is the year that it all clicks for Bowe and he'll put up big numbers. 1200 yds and 10 td's with upside for more. He's only 24 and he's entering his 4th year in the league. I think a lot of people are overlooking him due to his past problems.
Crabtree was on a pace for 833 / 3 last yearAfter walking onto the team after having been injured through OTAs and then holding out.

In other words, without ever having even a single real NFL practice.

Don't know about 10 TDs, but I consider 1200 about the floor for him, assuming decent health.

Bowe has had four years to show us that, yes, he really is a head case.

Part of the reason for yr 2-3 breakout for WRs is that that is often when they start to get worked onto the field on a full time basis.

Bowe had that from the get go.

And he plays for a coach who appears quite willing to stubbornly stick to a bad position despite solid evidence to the contrary (ALA Jamaal Charles being slow to see the field and still not called starter).

Nicks has the chit but too many decent WR bodies in NYG, particularly if we now have to figure Cruz into the mix.

Bryant - we shall see. He's a big maybe IMO at this point. He's in a good situation, and might keep his ego in check enough, might not.

1200/10 is a lot for a rook, but he seems to have the physical tools and situation required. Can he get IT fast enough to do so?

Maybe.

But he still has plenty of time to get IT faster than Bowe ever did.

Mr. Peterson said:
Michael Floyd.Edit: I know you're looking for NFL guys, but once this guy gets drafted he will be the next stud.
He played in my conference in high school. Kids would brag about shutting him down once, even though he would dominate the whole game and my friend got rocked by him :shrug:

So in week 12 I'm ranking them Nicks, Dez, Bowe and......................Crabtree. Crabtree has been an awful disappointment this year. Yes his situation sucks but he just does not "pop" off the tv screen like these others do. Bowe has surely vindicated himself this year. Kudos to those who kept the faith.

So in week 12 I'm ranking them Nicks, Dez, Bowe and......................Crabtree. Crabtree has been an awful disappointment this year. Yes his situation sucks but he just does not "pop" off the tv screen like these others do. Bowe has surely vindicated himself this year. Kudos to those who kept the faith.
????Dwayne Bowe is the #1 WR in most formats. I don't know how high Dez and Nicks will go in their careers, but I guarantee you they'll never be ranked higher than #1.The funniest part of looking at this thread in hindsight is the folks knocking Bowe for his QB situation but then listing Crabtree as the #1.

Your missing the boat bigtime on Bowe, IMOI'd go Dez Bowe Crabs Nicks
nice call

Right now, I'd say Nicks, Bowe, Dez, Crabby in that order.

Dez has looked fantastic for a rookie. Let's see what he does the rest of the season and next year.

????Dwayne Bowe is the #1 WR in most formats. I don't know how high Dez and Nicks will go in their careers, but I guarantee you they'll never be ranked higher than #1.The funniest part of looking at this thread in hindsight is the folks knocking Bowe for his QB situation but then listing Crabtree as the #1.
Before we write the obit on Crabtree, I think we should look at how awful San Francisco's QB play has been. They have 11 passing TDs on the year. That is about half as many as Dallas (21), KC (22), and NYG (23). The completion percentage in Dallas is 67%, NYG is 65% and KC is 60%. SF is completing 58% of their passes. Vernon Davis and Crabtree have very similar stats to date as well. I could go on, but I think you get the point. Regime change in SF should bring in a new QB as well. It could do wonders for Crabtree.

I'd consider putting Stevie on this list. The kid looks special
I'd also be sure to throw Tampa Mike on there...his consistency, week-to-week, is really something I have never seen before from a rookie WR. Sure, he is not putting up 8-179 and 2 TD games, but he is clock work (almost like Derrick Mason in his prime) with 5-80 plus a TD to boot.

To me, Michael Crabtree seems like a perfect guy to buy low on during draft day next year in redrafts.

I think some people are missing the boat on the topic. People are so caught up in the 6 week performance by Bowe that they are missing the idea of the "next big thing" and that suggest doing it over a period of time, not just a streak against bottom feeder pass defenses over a month and a half.

Bowe has been marvelous but if it takes you 4 years to get there then, at a minimum, he loses in the longivity category. For that reason, I rank Bryant and Nicks ahead of him because they have produced right out of the box and in the 2nd year, respectively. Bowe may be shining brighter these two months but given the talent of the others in this list, I like any of them to shine longer and I take that in a dynasty/keeper format.

I, like everyone else, love Bowe now but like the other guys better long term unless Bowe continues to play against bottom 5 Pass defenses all the time.

rook Dwayne Bowe = 70, 995, 5

soph Dwayne Bowe = 86, 1022, 7

rook Hakeem Nicks = 47, 790, 6

soph Hakeem nicks = 62, 800, 9 (shortened by injury)

rook Dez Bryant = 44, 547, 6 (and climbing)

It hasn't taken Bowe 4 years to get there. His numbers are comparable, though i tend to believe all these guys are very, very good young WRs.

I think some people are missing the boat on the topic. People are so caught up in the 6 week performance by Bowe that they are missing the idea of the "next big thing" and that suggest doing it over a period of time, not just a streak against bottom feeder pass defenses over a month and a half.Bowe has been marvelous but if it takes you 4 years to get there then, at a minimum, he loses in the longivity category. For that reason, I rank Bryant and Nicks ahead of him because they have produced right out of the box and in the 2nd year, respectively. Bowe may be shining brighter these two months but given the talent of the others in this list, I like any of them to shine longer and I take that in a dynasty/keeper format. I, like everyone else, love Bowe now but like the other guys better long term unless Bowe continues to play against bottom 5 Pass defenses all the time.
I remember people saying similar things about Steve Smith when he had his breakout year. At some point, you just have to believe what you are seeing. He is very very good.

I think some people are missing the boat on the topic. People are so caught up in the 6 week performance by Bowe that they are missing the idea of the "next big thing" and that suggest doing it over a period of time, not just a streak against bottom feeder pass defenses over a month and a half.Bowe has been marvelous but if it takes you 4 years to get there then, at a minimum, he loses in the longivity category. For that reason, I rank Bryant and Nicks ahead of him because they have produced right out of the box and in the 2nd year, respectively. Bowe may be shining brighter these two months but given the talent of the others in this list, I like any of them to shine longer and I take that in a dynasty/keeper format. I, like everyone else, love Bowe now but like the other guys better long term unless Bowe continues to play against bottom 5 Pass defenses all the time.
I'm also wary as to how Bowe will deal with his new found success this off season. Hopefully he's learned from the past and will work as hard as he did this offseason to continue his upward path. It's going to be amazing how deep WR will be next year in Dynasty/Keeper leagues. The incoming class (especially if some of the Jr's declare) should be the strongest ever. The NFL is only going to get more pass happy.

rook Dwayne Bowe = 70, 995, 5soph Dwayne Bowe = 86, 1022, 7rook Hakeem Nicks = 47, 790, 6soph Hakeem nicks = 62, 800, 9 (shortened by injury)rook Dez Bryant = 44, 547, 6 (and climbing)It hasn't taken Bowe 4 years to get there. His numbers are comparable, though i tend to believe all these guys are very, very good young WRs.
Stupid facts. I hate facts.

dude he had one of the best WR rookie seasons in recent memory.

Great thread! Although I agree with a few that we should open it up to more than just 4-5 round WRs. This is a valuable discussion.To the point of this particular post I'm having a hard time ranking Crabtree and Dez. In a dynasty startup I would select Crabtree over Dez even though I have Dez ranked higher. Although, I think that has more to do with opportunity. Crabtree is the starter (and #1 WR) now and Dez isn't. However, I do think Dez is the better talent. I think they are similar WRs with similar playing styles. Both have excellent body control and can go up and get a ball. What separates Dez in my mind is his build and work ethic. Despite the height and weight measurables don't show much difference, the pictures do in my mind. Dez looks thicker and stronger. Dez also seems to have the desire to be the best. On the other hand, Crabtree has had his work ethic question in the past. I still linger on his 'daily regime' when recovering from the foot surgery. He described himself sleeping in and eating junk food and pizza. I don't know but these things matter to me when trying to take a stab at predicting the best of the best. Even though I rank the long term potential of Dez higher I still can't pull the trigger on offering up Crabs for Dez straight up. I also don't have him higher in my rankings. I'm confused myself. The situations are just so different. Crabtree = poor QB, questionable long term team outlook, #1 WRDez = good qb, good Offense, team with a lot of other options, #2 WR (currently)Long term outlook of my top WR talentsDez[Decent Gap]Crabtree [big Gap]Nicks[small Gap]Bowe[big Gap]Demaryius - I love him but traded him away because of a huge bust potential imoThe bottom line is these are the only young WRs in the league I see having a shot at the Fitz, Andre, Moss, and Calvin(production hopefully finally comes) level of play. Crabtree will be fantasy relavent for a long, long time. I just don't see him ever approaching the domination of the NFL position as the aforementioned players. I do seem more possestion than big play out of him.Nicks seems to have the big play ability of the elite group; however, I don't see it happening as frequently as Fitz or Moss makes it happen.Bowe reminds me of Crabtree and I could see them having similar careers. Dez is the only one I could see reaching the elite level. He seems to have the work ethic, ball skills, and desire. He's not crazy fast but I think he is crazy athletic and in short spaces that can overcome straight line speed. I think Dez has the longest road to get there. I really think we'll see an Andre Johnson like career. It will take a few years, maybe a few injuries to overcome, but eventually everything will fall in place for him to start dominating as the #1 in Dallas. I just wouldn't expect it until his third year at the earliest.My Current Dynasty Rankings of year 1-3 wrs WRsDez Bryant WR7Desean WR9Crabtree WR11Nicks WR14Bowe WR16These are my only year 1-3 wrs in my top 20. And really I don't see super stud potential in Desean just a low floor for the next decade.Again despite my high ranking of Dez I can't pull the trigger on offers for Crabtree for Dez straight up. Maybe it's just my team makeup in those leagues but I just think Crabtree is going to be fantasy relevant in the next two years more so than Dez.
Looking back at my long winded post I still feel confident about the players. Obviously it wasn't a 'Big Gap' between Crabtree and Nicks but overall these four young guys have produced. I still worry about Crabtree's 10 cent head but he's still produced some spectacular plays this year to give me a feeling he'll be good. I'm still thinking special possession/YAC WR is his ceiling though; not really a beastly Andre or Calvin type.Dez, Nicks, and Bowe haven't dissapointed. Demaryius is about where I thought he'd be. The next two years are make or break for him.

Right now, I'd say Nicks, Bowe, Dez, Crabby in that order.Dez has looked fantastic for a rookie. Let's see what he does the rest of the season and next year.
this will be the order in redraft next year so long as nicks recovers from this malady.

I'm also wary as to how Bowe will deal with his new found success this off season. Hopefully he's learned from the past and will work as hard as he did this offseason to continue his upward path. It's going to be amazing how deep WR will be next year in Dynasty/Keeper leagues. The incoming class (especially if some of the Jr's declare) should be the strongest ever. The NFL is only going to get more pass happy.
I see where you are going, but WE, as FF players, have to wonder to what extent this was Bowe's issue. Guy was lights out before Haley, and all of the sudden he was in the dog's house...now, he has emerged and all is good again. Personally, I think Haley tried to set a tone and Bowe eithere did not buy-in (his fault) or was unfairly made an example of...either way, the cat is out of the bag and Haley is going to live by the sword and feature Bowe going forward (and obviously that is the right choice).

If he can stay healthy, and I mean really healthy, Danario Alexander has a shot to be the next freak WR. Dude is 6'5" 220lbs, 46" vertical, 4.46 40-yard dash, has an emerging top 10 QB, strong enough to stay on the field on running plays as a blocker, can line up outside and be a speedster or inside and play like a TE, and is a red zone terror. His teammates love him and he infuses them when he is on the field.

Again, he must stay healthy. Of course, all NFL players must stay healthy and have opportunity to be great, but in my opinion if he does, he will.

Users who are viewing this thread