What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Coaching Changes: 2005 (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2005, 03:05Seahawks - Holmgren Fires Special Teams Coach MichaelsAP (FBG's Blogger)Mark Michaels was fired Tuesday after one season as special teams coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Fassell has accepted the OC role for the Raven and Rick Neuheisel formerly of Washington has been given the QB coach position and is rumored ot be groomed there for the OC role. Two great moves in my opinion. It wouldn't suprise me to see Neuheisel make the jump to a HC position if the Ravens do well on offense. He might have been up for one with his success in Washington if not for the gambling BS.Ok I just hunted for a link and maybe I'm going nuts. I swore I saw this on Espn though. Can someone help me out? I was up till 5 a.m. last night so maybe I hillusinated this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fassell has accepted the OC role for the Raven and Rick Neuheisel formerly of Washington has been given the QB coach position and is rumored ot be groomed there for the OC role. Two great moves in my opinion. It wouldn't suprise me to see Neuheisel make the jump to a HC position if the Ravens do well on offense. He might have been up for one with his success in Washington if not for the gambling BS.Ok I just hunted for a link and maybe I'm going nuts. I swore I saw this on Espn though. Can someone help me out? I was up till 5 a.m. last night so maybe I hillusinated this up.
I heard ESPN radio & Fox Sports both report this this a.m.

WTAM 1100AM out of Cleveland just reported that Romeo Crennell will be the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, just as soon as the Patriots' season is over.I guess that last effort against the Colts convinced Savage...

While local sports talk here is that the Jags like Linehan to be the next OC, it looks like Saban and the Dolphins are throwing more money at him.

New address for Linehan? BY SEAN JENSEN, Pioneer PressDespite a push for team continuity, the Vikings soon are expected to be in the market for an offensive coordinator. Scott Linehan and owner Red McCombs had conflicting positions Monday that strongly indicate the coordinator will be elsewhere next season, most likely in Miami or Jacksonville. ADVERTISEMENT Linehan, who spurned a two-year contract last year because he did not want to be committed to the Vikings for longer than head coach Mike Tice, insisted Monday that the length of his next contract is important to him and his family. "I would like to be able to tell you that I feel comfortable for the next two to three years, that I can look my family in the eye and say, 'We're going to be here, unless I get a head coaching job or something like that,' " he said. But McCombs reiterated that Tice would serve out his current deal, which runs through the 2005 season at a $1 million salary, and not receive an extension. Given that position, when asked if Linehan's only option was a one-year deal, McCombs said, "That is correct." Linehan was not available to respond to McCombs' comments. But McCombs added that the Vikings are "very pleased" with Linehan and that Rob Brzezinski, the vice president of football operations, is trying to sign him, although some team officials are pessimistic that will happen. The Miami Herald is reporting today that Linehan is the Dolphins' top candidate and that newly installed head coach Nick Saban, who signed a five-year deal, plans to offer Linehan a contract that doubles his $300,000 salary. The average salary for an offensive coordinator in the NFL is $466,000. The Herald also has reported that Saban has asked at least a half-dozen offensive players about the Vikings' offense and Linehan, among other potential candidates. The Vikings have exclusive negotiating rights with Linehan until the end of January. But they are expected to grant permission to teams seeking interviews with him. It is believed the Dolphins and Jaguars have not yet asked for permission to speak to Linehan. But they are considered the two strongest suitors. The Jaguars, however, don't pay much better than the Vikings; their highest-paid assistant makes $350,000 and head coach Jack Del Rio makes $1.3 million. Other teams that have offensive coordinator openings are the New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, and Detroit Lions. Linehan said money is not the deciding factor. "It's not the bottom-line dollar (amount), contrary to what maybe someone might think," he said. "This has more to do with what's best for my family and the security that you can give yourself in a business that does not have much is really important to us at this point." Linehan pointed to Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Ed Donatell as an example. Although he led a strong Green Bay Packers unit last year, Donatell was fired after the Philadelphia Eagles converted on fourth and 26 against the Packers in the NFC divisional playoffs. Donatell was fired during the offseason, but he thrived in Atlanta this season. "There's nothing secure (here) past next year, unless we win," Linehan said. "If we win, hopefully we'll be secure. But I don't know that for sure. If this was just about the system and the players I get to coach, it's a no-brainer." But Linehan noted that he is concerned about the future of the Vikings, which includes constant talk of a possible sale. Tice and quarterback Daunte Culpepper were adamant that Linehan remain with the Vikings. "We have three years with the same program, the same coordinator, the same quarterback-coordinator relationship," Tice said. "If that comes to an end, then we are taking a huge step backward." Added Culpepper, "I want him here, and I think it would be a huge mistake if we can't keep him here." Culpepper credited Linehan with helping his development, adding that he is "one of the best coaches I've ever had in my life." Asked what he would do to keep Linehan here, Culpepper said he would even call McCombs. "Whatever I need to do. Whatever is in my power," he said. "(But) I know that it's not my decision." If Linehan remains, Culpepper promises better results next season. "If we can continue to work together, I don't think — I know — we're going to make more and bigger strides as an offense," he said. The Vikings likely would not allocate much money for Linehan's replacement. But the job would be appealing to someone hoping to parlay one successful season into a more lucrative opportunity elsewhere. Sean Jensen covers the Vikings and the NFL. He can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.Updated on Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 5:29 am EST

While local sports talk here is that the Jags like Linehan to be the next OC, it looks like Saban and the Dolphins are throwing more money at him.
One thing that wayne Huizinga is not afraid to do is pay his coaches. The only way Linehan is not the Dolphin OC by next week is if someone offers him more money (not likely) or he doesn't jibe with Saban.He'll probably be offerred a 3 - 5 year deal with the chance to move up as a HC when the time comes and close to 800K per year.

Cleveland Browns -- Local reports indicate that Patriots defensive coordinator, Romeo Crennel, will be named the new head coach in Cleveland following the Patriots playoff run. No deal is (or can be) formally announced until that time, but the speculation has been confirmed by several outlets.
I'm sure it's way too early. But, any idea what the thinking will be for replacing Crennel?I mean, we've been hearing for 3 years now that Weis and Crennel want HC jobs, so it's not exactly shocking. Too bad it's happening in the same year, though.

Cleveland Browns -- Local reports indicate that Patriots defensive coordinator, Romeo Crennel, will be named the new head coach in Cleveland following the Patriots playoff run. No deal is (or can be) formally announced until that time, but the speculation has been confirmed by several outlets.
I'm sure it's way too early. But, any idea what the thinking will be for replacing Crennel?I mean, we've been hearing for 3 years now that Weis and Crennel want HC jobs, so it's not exactly shocking. Too bad it's happening in the same year, though.
Hey MutantEnemies,Len Pasquarelli reported that Eric Mangini (Pats defensive backs coach) is the likely choice to replace Crennel. Mangini wasn't given permission to interview last year and has been groomed for the job.

On the offensive side of the ball, it's less certain but the Pats current TE coach Jeff Davidson has been mentioned as the logical in house replacement.

FYI, Saban is in charge of football operations. It's expected that Spielman will be offered a chance to remain with the team in a limited capacity (as a scout most likely) but he won't be the GM under the new Dolphins formulation.
That's a relief...... I still wish they took Crennel. Browns look like they are on the right track.....After the season down here in South Florida, I need more than Nick Saban to get me interested in Dolphin football again. I'm loosing confidence in this owner.Thank GOD I'm from Pittsburgh and I have a dish:stillers:
Wow at the Dolphins "faithful"... They haven't had a losing season in like 15 years and as soon as they do people are jumping ship. Got to keep the faith man.

ESPN Link to confirm this story, only a couple of days late. ;)

not an NFL job but may be of some interest:Coach Coates: Former Pro Bowl tight end Ben Coates was hired as football coach at Division II Livingstone, his alma mater, after an NFL career in which he won a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2001.FYI He worked with Witten last summer

Jags News: Dave Campo to be hired as an assistant. OC search narrowed to Linehan (if he makes it past his trip to Miami) and McCarthy (from New Orleans).

Campo likely to join Jags; Linehan to interview By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union The Jaguars are expected to hire former Dallas Cowboys coach Dave Campo as an assistant coach, multiple league sources said Tuesday night. Campo was defensive coordinator for Cleveland the past two seasons. He was an assistant with Dallas when Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio played linebacker for the Cowboys from 1989-91.The Jaguars' position has been vacant since assistant head coach and assistant defensive backs coach Steve Shafer was dismissed two weeks ago.Meanwhile, the Jaguars' search for an offensive coordinator is shifting into high gear, with interviews planned this week with Minnesota's Scott Linehan and New Orleans' Mike McCarthy.Del Rio, who already has a meeting scheduled for Friday with McCarthy, asked the Vikings on Tuesday to interview Linehan and was granted permission by Minnesota owner Red McCombs.Linehan, considered one of the top play-callers in the league, immediately flew to Florida and will meet with the Dolphins today and the Jaguars on Thursday.Linehan's contract expires Jan. 31, but McCombs already has said he is unwilling to sign Linehan to more than a one-year extension or give him a significant raise above the $300,000 he made last year.As a result, Minnesota coach Mike Tice said he is resigned to losing Linehan, who could more than double his salary if the Jaguars and Dolphins get into a bidding war for his services.Miami reportedly is willing to pay Linehan $600,000 a year to work for new coach Nick Saban, which is almost twice as much as the Jaguars' highest-paid assistant (special teams coordinator Pete Rodriguez) made last year.Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver, however, said publicly earlier this month that money would not be an issue in hiring the team's new offensive coordinator. The Jaguars have been without a play-caller and quarterbacks coach since Bill Musgrave was fired Jan.4.Linehan is considered especially attractive to the Jaguars because of his proven knack for developing young quarterbacks. Second-year starter Byron Leftwich was just the 10th-rated passer in the AFC under Musgrave last season.Conversely, in Linehan's two seasons as the Vikings' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Daunte Culpepper made the Pro Bowl each year while throwing for 8,196 yards and 64 touchdowns, with 22 interceptions."[Linehan] gives me peace of mind because he gets me ready every week,'' Culpepper told the (Minneapolis) Star-Tribune this week. "That's what you want from a coach.''McCarthy, meanwhile, is scheduled to interview today with the Detroit Lions before meeting with Del Rio and the Jaguars on Friday.McCarthy also is considered a versatile play-caller with an emphasis on the vertical passing game that Del Rio wants in Musgrave's replacement. McCarthy remains under contract with the Saints, but is available because New Orleans is unwilling to get into a bidding war for his services.

from bengals.comChuck Bresnahan formerly of the superbowl Raiders a few years ago was named the new Bengals D-Coordinator. He was on the staff last season for 3rd down packages and other stuff. I think this was planned since last season.

The Packers will almost certainly fire their DC Bob Slowik in the next day or two. I would like to see Jim Bates get some consideration - any news on Bates? Does he have any head coaching prospects?

Wow at the Dolphins "faithful"... They haven't had a losing season in like 15 years and as soon as they do people are jumping ship. Got to keep the faith man.
I'm not jumppin' ship at the loosing season (NOT the first in 15 years BTW) - I got off last year when they decided to keep Wanny for another season......Seriously, home team or not - I approach football with more reality than heart. H.Wayne has always made good coaching hires (in ALL 3 sports) but I can't get excited about Saban.Recent attempts by Butch Davis and Steve Spurrier, both from TOP college programs both stumbled in the pros. Dennis Ericson just got beat up and fired for the 2nd go round. Who was the last college HC to go pro HC and have any success? Got to go back to Jimmy J unless I'm missing someone.....I'd have preferred they went with someone with PRO experience. I have little hope in this coaching 'experiment', and I expect 2 years of crap before they change out again.Hopefully I'm wrong and surprised, but that's what I expect.

I'm not jumppin' ship at the loosing season (NOT the first in 15 years BTW) - I got off last year when they decided to keep Wanny for another season......Seriously, home team or not - I approach football with more reality than heart. H.Wayne has always made good coaching hires (in ALL 3 sports) but I can't get excited about Saban.Recent attempts by Butch Davis and Steve Spurrier, both from TOP college programs both stumbled in the pros. Dennis Ericson just got beat up and fired for the 2nd go round. Who was the last college HC to go pro HC and have any success? Got to go back to Jimmy J unless I'm missing someone.....I'd have preferred they went with someone with PRO experience. I have little hope in this coaching 'experiment', and I expect 2 years of crap before they change out again.Hopefully I'm wrong and surprised, but that's what I expect.
I understand the doubts considering the flops by several recent college turned Pro coaches. However I like Saban's chances for a couple of reasons.First, he's got NFL experience, unlike Spurrier and most of the others. He was on Bill Belichek's staff when Chilly Bill was in Cleveland. Belicheck was even quoted as saying he'd learned more from Saban than any other guy he'd ever coached with. That's high praise considering who Belichek's ran with.I desparately was hoping the Giants would get Saban a year ago as current GM Ernie Accorsi has some ties to him but unfortunately it was not to be.

Dolphins have officially hired Linehan

I know this was posted in another thread but I thought stick here as well:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/8115242

Any Vikings out there have an opinion on this guy? The offense looked pretty good this year. Was that a result of Culpepper and Moss or was that the OC? Can this guy work miracles with an offensive line?

New address for Linehan? BY SEAN JENSEN, Pioneer PressDespite a push for team continuity, the Vikings soon are expected to be in the market for an offensive coordinator. Scott Linehan and owner Red McCombs had conflicting positions Monday that strongly indicate the coordinator will be elsewhere next season, most likely in Miami or Jacksonville. ADVERTISEMENT Linehan, who spurned a two-year contract last year because he did not want to be committed to the Vikings for longer than head coach Mike Tice, insisted Monday that the length of his next contract is important to him and his family. "I would like to be able to tell you that I feel comfortable for the next two to three years, that I can look my family in the eye and say, 'We're going to be here, unless I get a head coaching job or something like that,' " he said. But McCombs reiterated that Tice would serve out his current deal, which runs through the 2005 season at a $1 million salary, and not receive an extension. Given that position, when asked if Linehan's only option was a one-year deal, McCombs said, "That is correct." Linehan was not available to respond to McCombs' comments. But McCombs added that the Vikings are "very pleased" with Linehan and that Rob Brzezinski, the vice president of football operations, is trying to sign him, although some team officials are pessimistic that will happen. The Miami Herald is reporting today that Linehan is the Dolphins' top candidate and that newly installed head coach Nick Saban, who signed a five-year deal, plans to offer Linehan a contract that doubles his $300,000 salary. The average salary for an offensive coordinator in the NFL is $466,000. The Herald also has reported that Saban has asked at least a half-dozen offensive players about the Vikings' offense and Linehan, among other potential candidates. The Vikings have exclusive negotiating rights with Linehan until the end of January. But they are expected to grant permission to teams seeking interviews with him. It is believed the Dolphins and Jaguars have not yet asked for permission to speak to Linehan. But they are considered the two strongest suitors. The Jaguars, however, don't pay much better than the Vikings; their highest-paid assistant makes $350,000 and head coach Jack Del Rio makes $1.3 million. Other teams that have offensive coordinator openings are the New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, and Detroit Lions. Linehan said money is not the deciding factor. "It's not the bottom-line dollar (amount), contrary to what maybe someone might think," he said. "This has more to do with what's best for my family and the security that you can give yourself in a business that does not have much is really important to us at this point." Linehan pointed to Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Ed Donatell as an example. Although he led a strong Green Bay Packers unit last year, Donatell was fired after the Philadelphia Eagles converted on fourth and 26 against the Packers in the NFC divisional playoffs. Donatell was fired during the offseason, but he thrived in Atlanta this season. "There's nothing secure (here) past next year, unless we win," Linehan said. "If we win, hopefully we'll be secure. But I don't know that for sure. If this was just about the system and the players I get to coach, it's a no-brainer." But Linehan noted that he is concerned about the future of the Vikings, which includes constant talk of a possible sale. Tice and quarterback Daunte Culpepper were adamant that Linehan remain with the Vikings. "We have three years with the same program, the same coordinator, the same quarterback-coordinator relationship," Tice said. "If that comes to an end, then we are taking a huge step backward." Added Culpepper, "I want him here, and I think it would be a huge mistake if we can't keep him here." Culpepper credited Linehan with helping his development, adding that he is "one of the best coaches I've ever had in my life." Asked what he would do to keep Linehan here, Culpepper said he would even call McCombs. "Whatever I need to do. Whatever is in my power," he said. "(But) I know that it's not my decision." If Linehan remains, Culpepper promises better results next season. "If we can continue to work together, I don't think — I know — we're going to make more and bigger strides as an offense," he said. The Vikings likely would not allocate much money for Linehan's replacement. But the job would be appealing to someone hoping to parlay one successful season into a more lucrative opportunity elsewhere. Sean Jensen covers the Vikings and the NFL. He can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.Updated on Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 5:29 am EST
Would you please hurry up and sell the team you cheap ### son of a ##### McCombs so we can get a REAL owner? F'n John York wannabe. :hot:

Jason: Denny Green does not call the plays here in AZ. Denny called plays in only one game, then turned the duties back over to Alex Wood. The new OC, Keith Rowen, will be calling his own game.

Oh, I thought of a more recent college xfer success - so I will correct myself.Tom Coughlin from BC to Jax.Still not comfy, nor do I feel Saben was the best choice for the fish though......

Someone posted this in another thread, adding it here:Former Bears LBer Mike Singletary is now the 49ers assistant head coach and linebackers coach. He had been the inside linebackers coach with Baltimore.

Code:
Packers Name Jim Bates Defensive CoordinatorThe Green Bay Packers have named Jim Bates defensive coordinator. Mike Sherman, Executive Vice President and Head Coach, announced the move Monday. Bob Slowik, the team's defensive coordinator in 2004, has an opportunity to return to the Packers coaching staff under Bates' leadership, Sherman said, but a final determination has yet to be made. Bates, who will begin his duties Jan. 31, enters his 37th season in the coaching profession, his 15th in the NFL. The Dolphins' defensive coordinator the last five years (2000-04), he also went 3-4 as the club's interim head coach, including a 29-28 win over eventual AFC Champion New England, Dec. 20.
LINK

Carl Smith might be the new OC for Jacksonville.

Jags are interested in USC assistant By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union USC quarterbacks coach Carl Smith has emerged as a strong candidate to become the Jaguars' next offensive coordinator. Smith, who spent last season with the national champion Trojans after three years as quarterbacks coach for the Cleveland Browns, has spoken with Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio about the job.The Jaguars have been without an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach since Bill Musgrave was fired on Jan. 4.Del Rio did not return a telephone message Monday night from Mobile, Ala., where he is attending Senior Bowl workouts along with the rest of the team's coaching staff and scouting department.But team officials confirmed that Smith, 56, is one of two known candidates to have spoken with Del Rio about the job. Del Rio interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy last Friday, but McCarthy -- who also has met with the Detroit Lions -- left Jacksonville without an offer.The Los Angeles Times reported that high-ranking sources within the USC program said Smith's hiring by the Jaguars was imminent, but Jaguars officials said no move was made Monday and that Del Rio still plans to proceed slowly with his search.Senior Bowl workouts also are a prime opportunity for head coaches to interview out-of-work assistants, and Del Rio is expected to speak to other candidates while he is in Alabama this week.The Jaguars also have a vacancy for the dual role of assistant head coach and assistant defensive backs coach, although multiple league sources said last week that former Dallas Cowboys coach Dave Campo has told NFL counterparts he expects to fill that role.If Del Rio hires Smith as offensive coordinator, he would be going back to both his college and NFL playing roots.Not only was Del Rio a standout linebacker at USC, but Smith -- who oversaw Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart last season -- also was offensive coordinator with New Orleans in 1986 during Del Rio's second year as a player with the Saints.

Looks like the Lions made their decision for OC

Link

Steve Mariucci has settled on Ted Tollner as the Lions' offensive coordinator, according to persons familiar with the situation at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

Tollner, who was the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator this past season, was one of six assistants interviewed by the Lions' head coach in his search for a replacement for Sherman Lewis, who announced his retirement at the end of the 2004 season.

Mariucci also interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and Miami quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman, in addition to three Lions assistants -- running backs coach Tom Rathman, quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Pat Morris.

Sources said Mariucci informed the coordinator candidates of his decision this week during Senior Bowl practices, where most NFL scouts and coaches are watching top draft prospects work out. Lions spokesmen could not confirm the report Tuesday night.

Tollner, 64, had head coaching stints at the College of San Mateo, Southern California, and San Diego State before moving to the NFL as an assistant coach with Buffalo, San Diego and the L.A. Rams.

Looks like the Lions made their decision for OCLinkSteve Mariucci has settled on Ted Tollner as the Lions' offensive coordinator, according to persons familiar with the situation at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. Tollner, who was the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator this past season, was one of six assistants interviewed by the Lions' head coach in his search for a replacement for Sherman Lewis, who announced his retirement at the end of the 2004 season. Mariucci also interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and Miami quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman, in addition to three Lions assistants -- running backs coach Tom Rathman, quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Pat Morris. Sources said Mariucci informed the coordinator candidates of his decision this week during Senior Bowl practices, where most NFL scouts and coaches are watching top draft prospects work out. Lions spokesmen could not confirm the report Tuesday night. Tollner, 64, had head coaching stints at the College of San Mateo, Southern California, and San Diego State before moving to the NFL as an assistant coach with Buffalo, San Diego and the L.A. Rams.
:XMooch's choice of assistants in his DET tenure has been questionable at best, and this should certainly do nothing to convince Lions faithful otherwise.

Looks like the Lions made their decision for OCLinkSteve Mariucci has settled on Ted Tollner as the Lions' offensive coordinator, according to persons familiar with the situation at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. Tollner, who was the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator this past season, was one of six assistants interviewed by the Lions' head coach in his search for a replacement for Sherman Lewis, who announced his retirement at the end of the 2004 season. Mariucci also interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and Miami quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman, in addition to three Lions assistants -- running backs coach Tom Rathman, quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Pat Morris. Sources said Mariucci informed the coordinator candidates of his decision this week during Senior Bowl practices, where most NFL scouts and coaches are watching top draft prospects work out. Lions spokesmen could not confirm the report Tuesday night. Tollner, 64, had head coaching stints at the College of San Mateo, Southern California, and San Diego State before moving to the NFL as an assistant coach with Buffalo, San Diego and the L.A. Rams.
:XMooch's choice of assistants in his DET tenure has been questionable at best, and this should certainly do nothing to convince Lions faithful otherwise.
Tell me about it.

Robiskie is turning down interviews hoping to stay on Crennell's (unofficial, of course) staff in Cleveland.

LINK

He must really like it here. :shock:

Nolan and whoever is running things in SF...... (how about the owners' son, three years removed from college and in some kind of business field????????) have hired JERRY SULLIVAN as WR's coach...... which sounds like a good move as he is mentioned as the best WR coach in the game..... was with Arizona when Boston got hot and then went to Miami..... he was instrumental in bringing Boston to the fish from San Diego..... a dubious choice to say the least but he is said to know what he's doing.........this could be good for the 9ers (although all the help in the world couldn't help this team at the moment......) as they have a super young and supposedly talented receiving core..... Arnie Battle, Cedric Wilson, Rashaun Woods, the Hamilton kid...... Conway was the only vet

Titans' pursuit of Chow may pick up speed soon By JIM WYATTStaff WriterIt took Coach Jeff Fisher just hours to identify and land a new receivers coach for the Titans.His search for an offensive coordinator is 10 days old, and he says it could go on several more weeks.The process may speed up on Wednesday, which is National Signing Day for college football. If Fisher's search to replace Mike Heimerdinger does dip into the college ranks, then it would make sense to wait until after the nation's top recruits have signed before going after a school's coach.Fisher has not mentioned Southern Cal offensive coordinator Norm Chow as a potential candidate, but that could change soon.Fisher and Chow share a USC connection. Fisher played for the Trojans and remains a big supporter of the program. He attended USC's national championship victory over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl earlier this month.Chow, 58, is one of the premier offensive coaches in college football and has been USC's offensive coordinator since 2001. The Trojans have won back-to-back national championships and produced Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks two of the past three seasons.But Chow has turned down NFL opportunities before, and it's still unclear if he's willing to leap to the pros.Judging from his recent comments in the Raleigh News & Observer, however, he may be ripe for the picking. ''I could be headed to the next level,'' Chow told the newspaper. ''That may be my next challenge.''The Titans, Browns and Saints currently have offensive coordinator openings.From his own staff, Fisher is expected to interview assistant head coach/offense George Henshaw and perhaps quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson.Offensive line coach Mike Munchak has made it clear he's happy in his current position, but there's a chance Fisher may interview him for the coordinator position.''I'm identifying different candidates. They are on my staff. … There are candidates with play-calling experience in the league, there are candidates who are position coaches right now on other teams, and there could potentially be candidates at the collegiate level,'' Fisher said yesterday.''The process is, you just don't hire somebody based on a reputation, word of mouth or recommendation. There's due diligence that has to take place. We've been successful up to this point with these decisions we've made in the past, and it's because of the process. So I'm going to strictly follow the process.''

I track this stuff from year to year:I think the trend shows a BUNCH of Head Coaches are gonna get whacked over the next two seasons:1996 Head Coaching Changes: 11 Head Coaching Changes Cincy (Shula fired)NY Jets (Kotite fired)Oakland (White fired)San Diego (Ross resigned)New England (Parcells resigned)New Orleans (Mora resigned)St. Louis (Brooks fired)NY Giants (Reeves fired)Atlanta (Jones fired)Detroit (Fontes fired)San Fran (Seifert fired) 1997 Head Coaching Changes: 4 Head Coaching Changes Dallas (Switzer resigned)Indianapolis (Infante fired)Buffalo (Levy resigns)Oakland (Bugel fired) 1998 Head Coaching Changes: 8 Head Coaching Changes Chicago (Wanny fired)Seattle (Erickson fired)Green Bay (Holmgren resigned)Philadelphia (Rhodes fired)Baltimore (Marchibroda fired)San Diego (Gilbride fired)Carolina (Capers fired)Kansas City (Shottenheimer resigned) 1999 Head Coaching Changes: 7 Head Coaching Changes St. Louis (Vermeil resigned)Green Bay (Rhodes fired)Miami (Johnson quit)New Orleans (Da Coach fired)New England (Carroll fired)NY Jets (Parcells resigned)Dallas (Gailey fired) 2000 Head Coaching Changes: 9 Head Coaching Changes Cincy (Coslet fired)Detroit (Ross quit)KC (Cunningham fired)Cleveland (Palmer fired)NY (Groh quit)Buffalo (Phillips fired)Detroit (Moeller fired) Washington (Turner fired)Arizona (Tobin fired) 2001 Head Coaching Changes: 6 Head Coaching Changes Tampa (Dungy fired)Minnesota (Green fired)Indy (Mora fired)Carolina (Siefert fired)San Diego (Riley fired) Washington (Schottenheimer fired) 2002 Head Coaching Changes: 5 Head Coaching Changes Cincy (LeBeau fired)Dallas (Campo fired)San Fran (Mooch fired)Jacksonville (Coughlin fired)Detroit (Moronwig fired)2003 Head Coaching Changes: 7 Head Coaching Changes Atlanta (Reeves fired)NY Giants (Fassel fired)Chicago (Jauron fired)Arizona (McGinnis fired)Buffalo (Williams fired)Washington (Spurrier resigns)Oakland (Callahan fired)2004 Head Coaching Changes: 3 Head Coaching ChangesMiami (Wannstedt ‘resigned’)Cleveland (Davis ‘resigned’)San Francisco (Erickson fired)

Mike Sheppard has been promoted from QB coach to OC in New Orleans.Sheppard seemed to be a bit of a commodity this offseason, but I have to wonder why. He's served as an NFL OC twice before, in Buffalo and San Diego. In his three seasons as OC previously, his teams haven't finished higher than 26th :X in scoring offense.Obviously tough to judge him on three seasons, especially given the QB talent he had to work with, but it's difficult to see the upside from Sheppard at this point.

Mike Sheppard has been promoted from QB coach to OC in New Orleans.Sheppard seemed to be a bit of a commodity this offseason, but I have to wonder why. He's served as an NFL OC twice before, in Buffalo and San Diego. In his three seasons as OC previously, his teams haven't finished higher than 26th :X in scoring offense.Obviously tough to judge him on three seasons, especially given the QB talent he had to work with, but it's difficult to see the upside from Sheppard at this point.
What does this mean for the Saints offense? Particularly Brooks and Deuce?Will they increase the emphasis on running the ball to utilize Deuce more appropriately or will they recall that he is an excellent receiver? Or will they continue to sink or swim with Brooks and an all-out pass first mentality?

From http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/n...rts/3943.0.html

Crennel accepts offer from Browns

By Pat McManamon, Editor

February 6, 2005

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - It appears the Browns finally have their new head coach.

The Browns offered the job to New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel shortly after Super Bowl XXXIX and he accepted.

Negotiations between the Browns and Crennel's agent, Joe Linta, were to begin Monday at the team's Berea, Ohio, facility.

The Browns hope to announce Crennel's hiring on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then let him start building a staff.

Crennel earned the offer with an impressive interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner, team president John Collins, and general manager Phil Savage on Jan. 7.

"I put my best foot forward," Crennel said on Super Bowl Media Day on Tuesday. "If their impression was that I floored them, then that's great."

Crennel's message?

"That I'm a capable individual and I can handle the job," he said.

Crennel would replace Butch Davis, who resigned in November. Crennel has been the Patriots' defensive coordinator since 2001 and has played a key role in New England appearing in three of the last four Super Bowl titles.

He worked for the Browns as defensive coordinator in 2000, and previously worked as special teams and defensive line coach for Bill Parcells in New York and New England. The Giants twice won Super Bowls with Crennel as an assistant coach.

Crennel said he brings "a certain amount of NFL winning experience" to a team.

"I've coached special teams, defensive line, been a coordinator and been successful at all those positions," he said. "Being able to deal with players - I can deal with people, the media and the whole bit. I think you will see that I can handle myself, handle players and handle the team."

What does this mean for the Saints offense? Particularly Brooks and Deuce?Will they increase the emphasis on running the ball to utilize Deuce more appropriately or will they recall that he is an excellent receiver? Or will they continue to sink or swim with Brooks and an all-out pass first mentality?
They brought in the GB running backs, Johnny Roland, coach to Deuce. Sheppard had been the QB coach, so the rapport and understanding of Brooks' strengths will be there. I'm ok with this. Not thrilled, mind you, but ok. I think the addition of Roland will be a good thing, as the T-P pointed out,"The Saints equally were excited about the addition of Roland, who spent last season with the Green Bay Packers. In 26 seasons as an NFL assistant, Roland mentored Pro Bowl runners Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Jerome Bettis, Wilbert Montgomery and Neal Anderson. Both of his Packers starters last season -- running back Ahman Green and fullback William Henderson -- were selected to the Pro Bowl."The other key to their improvement will be the defense. If the defense is tightened up, Brooks won't be forced to win it. We can grind it out, if need be, with Deuce if we're not playing from behind every game.

BUMP...updated through the Chow hiring. The remaining openings include Crennel's top assistants in Cleveland, Belichick's replacements for Weis and Crennel, and Nick Saban's assistants in Miami.It's interesting, of the coaching staffs with remaining openings, all are tied to the Belichick coaching tree (Saban and Crennel both being long-time associates and assistants).

I thought one of the arguements against hiring assistants from Super Bowl teams was they would have trouble hiring a staff since lots of people are already committed. Does anyone think Crennel will have trouble hiring a good coaching staff starting out so late?

I thought one of the arguements against hiring assistants from Super Bowl teams was they would have trouble hiring a staff since lots of people are already committed. Does anyone think Crennel will have trouble hiring a good coaching staff starting out so late?
I think Crennel is behind the 8 ball for several reasons.1) He's getting a late start as you already suggested, most coaches have already sought and found employment for 20052) The vast majority of his experience as a coach comes with Belichick and Parcells lineage. Obviously he's going to have a difficult time luring away any of his trusted assistants from New England, particularly when Mangini and company have the likely opening to hold coordinator jobs in NE now too.

BUMP...updated through the Chow hiring. The remaining openings include Crennel's top assistants in Cleveland, Belichick's replacements for Weis and Crennel, and Nick Saban's assistants in Miami.
Maurice Carthon is Crennel's OC in Cleveland.Sources are Boston Globe, Plain Dealer, Cowboysplus, Star Telegram, ESPN...pretty much you name the source, they've stated it.Here's one http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stor...n.6d5571d7.htmlJACKSONVILLE, Fla. – One of the worst-kept secrets at the Super Bowl is that New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel is going to be the Cleveland Browns' new head coach. He's planning to take a Cowboys assistant coach with him. Cowboys offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, who also coaches running backs, is expected to be named the Browns' offensive coordinator once Crennel officially accepts the job, a Cowboys source said Wednesday evening.Also, Parcells has some openings which add to this friends hiring the other's friends first sorta atmosphere.

Updated for the Mangini get...
Good Move by the Patriots organization.02/12/05Mangini to stayBy Bryan Morry, Patriots Football WeeklyEric Mangini will replace Romeo Crennel as the Patriots defensive coordinator.(from ESPN.COM) "Miami coach Nick Saban reportedly offered Mangini a contract worth about $800,000 per year and the Browns' proposal was in the area of $700,000 annually. Mangini's deal with the Patriots is likely to be in the $500,000-$600,000 range, but there is also a loyalty factor involved. "Guess Eric drank the Koolaid too!

And then there were four, the only coordinator jobs left to be filled are:

Miami Defensive Coordinator -- Saban lost out on a 3-way bidding war for NE DC Eric Mangini. Mangini reportedly took less $$$ to stay in NE but obviously inherits a team with great players who are masters of the defensive system he teaches.

Cleveland Defensive Coordinator -- Romeo Crennel was the other loser in the Mangini sweepstakes, wanting his former defensive backs coach to come with him to Cleveland as DC.
New England Offensive Coordinator -- Widely expected to look in-house for Charlie Weis' replacement, Bill Belichick hasn't named his new OC yet, probably because so much energy was spent on wooing Eric Mangini to remain on staff to run the defense.
Dallas Offensive Coordinator -- With Carthon's departure to Cleveland, the OC position has opened in Big D. It's too early to say for sure, but my bet is Sean Payton (Asst Head Coach) will assume the OC role formally.

And then there were four, the only coordinator jobs left to be filled are:

New England Offensive Coordinator -- Widely expected to look in-house for Charlie Weis' replacement, Bill Belichick hasn't named his new OC yet, probably because so much energy was spent on wooing Eric Mangini to remain on staff to run the defense.

Dallas Offensive Coordinator -- With Carthon's departure to Cleveland, the OC position has opened in Big D. It's too early to say for sure, but my bet is Sean Payton (Asst Head Coach) will assume the OC role formally.
Parcells plays games with the titles. Payton is the OC. Google him, you'll find sites that have listed him as such for a while now. I think it has something to do with that coaches compensation rule. I remember something about that rule with Gruden and all but now how that finished. Anyhow BB does the same thing:From http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ni_staying_put/

Now the Patriots are hoping tight ends/assistant offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, who is being pursued by the Browns to be their offensive line coach, also will stay in Foxborough.

Davidson, who had been in the running to be the Patriots' offensive coordinator, likely will be the offensive line coach if he stays. The coordinator's job is probably going to Dante Scarnecchia, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach. If the Patriots need a tight ends coach, Belichick may turn to former Giants tight end Mark Bavaro, who has been at recent Patriots training camps. Also, former Patriot Ben Coates, currently the head coach at Livingstone College in Salisbury, N.C., is interested in being an NFL tight ends coach and has reached out to Belichick.It's unclear whether the Patriots will fill Mangini's defensive backs post or allow him to do both jobs. Mangini pulled off what many consider one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL this season by patching up a secondary that lost two starting corners, Ty Law and Tyrone Poole. Meanwhile, vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli has been granted permission to speak to the Seahawks about becoming their president of football operations, but neither the Patriots nor Pioli responded to inquiries about whether he would interview.. . .

Piloi would be a HUGE loss IMO.

Coates just got that job and he wants out already?

Well, there ya go some Pats info from Boston Globe

Users who are viewing this thread