What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 1st Day Draft Thread -Round 1 - Round 3* (1 Viewer)

I like it a lot. It was a much better pick than if they would have taken Greg Jones like some Dallas fan in another thread wanted. Julius gives them more options with his quickness to get outside and his receiving ability.
I think I'd like it if I were a Cowboy fan.I see a lot of Curtis Martin in J.J. Isn't a speed merchant, but runs hard, will muck it up, can catch a little, can block a little...doesn't do anything well enough to be a 1st rounder, but does everything well enough to be a starter.

Not a glamour pick, but a nice, solid selection. Sometimes the best picks aren't the sexiest ones. Hell, I've heard Detroit fans bragging about their drafts on draft day for the last three years, and those guys always end up sucking out loud.

In that dal/buf trade... surely buf offered one of their rbs instead of next year's no. 1 , don't you think? If so, should Dal have taken one... or demanded one?

Another nice pick by Den. Watts from Marshall. THis kid has been flying under the radar with all the big time WR talk in this draft, but is a playmaker.

Jax moves up to take Greg Jones. Don't know what to make of that. I guess he'll be a full-on fullback opening holes for Freddy T and Toefield while offering a little change of pace on short yardage and other situations.

I think Cinci should take Schweigert next.**edit** they didn't. Instead they take Williams from Maryland. I hate that pick. Schweigert is a ball-hawk and just the kind of agressive player they need back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cinci should take Schweigert next.**edit** they didn't. Instead they take Williams from Maryland. I hate that pick. Schweigert is a ball-hawk and just the kind of agressive player they need back there.
I'd have thought the same.But since Marvin Lewis forgets more about successful NFL defense every time he scratches his nuts than I have learned in my life, I'll go ahead and defer to him. ;)

I'd have thought the same.But since Marvin Lewis forgets more about successful NFL defense every time he scratches his nuts than I have learned in my life, I'll go ahead and defer to him. ;)
Fair enough. Maybe they both end up good players. Don't think I'd ever question Marv. I haven't seen Williams play in person and have seen Stu. Stu's impressive. Hope he ends up getting a good opportunity.

In that dal/buf trade... surely buf offered one of their rbs instead of next year's no. 1 , don't you think? If so, should Dal have taken one... or demanded one?
Why are people so sure that just b/c a team has a second running back of starting quality that one of those will go. RBs get hurt. A LOT. And in Buffalo's sitch , specifically, McGahee has proved diddly plus squat so far - not even in PRACTICE (he didn't start practicing with the team until a month before the end of the season).Meanwhile, THenry just completed his 2nd 1500 yard rushing season. If you are the Bills, would YOU trade one of those guys? If so, I think you need to examine the words "build for the future a little closer."

On the other hand...

2.26 - SF selects - SHAWNTAE SPENCER - CB - Pitt
This I have no problem pointing to with hilarity and scorn. I say this because while I'm sure SF has done what homework they could, and knows that Shawntae was a workout warrior and thus put up some nice workout numbers, there's still no way they watched every game he ever played at Pitt. I did. And what they just got is one of the most God-awful cover men in the entire NCAA. He'd make Chad Scott look like Deion Sanders.If he ends up as a successful NFL starter, I will fellate a horse.

Jax moves up to take Greg Jones. Don't know what to make of that. I guess he'll be a full-on fullback opening holes for Freddy T and Toefield while offering a little change of pace on short yardage and other situations.
Not sure what to make of this either - he brings somethig different than FredT amd Fred T Jr. (Labrandon) to the table, but Chris Fu is a decent short down fullback and Edwards catches the ball out of the backfield well.My guess is the team sees Toefiled as a FredT clone and they want to see something different back there at RB in a couple years.

Colts just traded down again. Here's hoping :banned: they don't get another S.Good idea though and grabbing later draft picks to hopefully build some depth on D.A 3rd, 2 5th's and a 6th all for Cleveland ot move up in the 2nd. :excited:

Why are people so sure that just b/c a team has a second running back of starting quality that one of those will go.  RBs get hurt. A LOT.  And in Buffalo's sitch , specifically, McGahee has proved diddly plus squat so far - not even in PRACTICE (he didn't start practicing with the team until a month before the end of the season).Meanwhile, THenry just completed his 2nd 1500 yard rushing season.  If you are the Bills, would YOU trade one of those guys?  If so, I think you need to examine the words "build for the future a little closer."
Thanks for the input. But the point was they have 2 rbs, Dal has none. Historically, teams are almost always willing to give up a surplus player over their next #1, often used for "building for the future."I was mainly wondering if it has been proposed by either team and if so, which one rejected it.Edit to add: I assume Dallas offered to take him (McGahee or Henry) and was rejected.

Keary Colbert - This guy sounds like a sweet pick and the perfect compliment to Steve Smith. His highlight reel was the best of the day that I saw. Doesn't look like he has any negetives other than being able to go deep which the Panthers don't need. Maybe all he does is catch TD passes. Great job Panthers!Career Notes The experienced, sure-handed athlete, underrated in the past, emerged as one of the country's top wide receivers while starting for his fourth season as a senior in 2003 ... A tough durable performer who has never missed any game time due to injuries ... Keary holds the school's career-record with 207 receptions (sixth on the all-time Pac-10 list), topping the previous mark of 204 grabs by Kareem Kelly (1999-2002) ... His 2964 career receiving yards rank third on the Trojans' all-time record chart (eighth on the all-time Pac-10 list), surpassed only by Kelly (3104) and Johnnie Morton (3201, 1990-93) ... Gained over 100 yards receiving in six contests and caught a pass in the last 36 consecutive games ... Joined Keyshawn Johnson (1362 yards in 1994 and 1434 in 1995) and Mike Williams (1265 in 2002 and 1314 in 2003) as the only players in school history to gain over 100 yards receiving in a season twice in a career. Analysis Positives: Good worker on and off the field, willing to do the little things necessary to succeed ... Good natural athlete with quickness, agility, balance, nimble feet and above average flexibility ... High-effort type who relishes the role as the team's clutch receiver ... Has adequate quickness out of his stance and off the line of scrimmage ... Shows the ability to escape the jam, whether with his quick feet or by using his hands to get a push off his opponent ... Very good route runner with the feet and body control to make sharp cuts, showing good flexibility in his turns ... Very alert on the field, knowing exactly where he should be in his patterns ... Shifty route runner in the short area with enough speed to create separation and work himself open ... Does an excellent job of working underneath, instantly reading coverages to find the void in the zone ... Can make all the catches with ease ... Shows courage and good concentration working inside to get to the ball and is not afraid to dish it out upon contact ... Not a deep threat, but does have the quick feet needed to get deep ... His vision and aggressiveness allow him to get the ball in tough spots ... Adequate position blocker who will not hesitate to face up to and finish his blocks. Negatives: Does not have the top-end speed one would desire in a deep threat ... Lacks the hip shake or leg drive to get big yardage after the catch ... Will body catch at times, but will find ways to hold on to the ball ... More effective on underneath routes, as he lacks the sudden explosion to escape upfield.

I cannot believe Derek Strait is still on the board. At this point, Dallas needs to move up and grab him, if they can do it with their extra 5th.I think they had Joey Thomas from Mont. St. targeted, but he was snagged by the Pack.Edit to add: Or DE Issac Hilton... I love him, too

Damn! Jets get Strait. I guess they were watching this message board...

Did I hear that right? Coughlin's daughter had an illegitimate kid by Snee and then COughlin drafts Snee? Was it a shotgun draft pick? Weird..

Thanks for the input. But the point was they have 2 rbs, Dal has none. Historically, teams are almost always willing to give up a surplus player over their next #1, often used for "building for the future."I was mainly wondering if it has been proposed by either team and if so, which one rejected it.Edit to add: I assume Dallas offered to take him (McGahee or Henry) and was rejected.
I understand what you are saying - but, while Dallas might have asked, I will virtually guarantee that both of Buffalo's RBs are untouchable in trade.My point being that McGahee is not "depth" at starter. He hasn't proved he is an NFL back yet. He's had one month of practice with the team. So, unless the Cowboys wanted Joe Burns, they were not getting Buffalo's only starting quality back.

Hill at DE for NE - that team is now stacked and deep at defensive line. I think Hill will develop over the next year or two into a decent DE, able to be used in a rotation without losing a step from the starter.

Hey 49ers fans...You got a great sleeper in Derrick Hamilton at WR. I wouldn't be surprise to see him beat out Woods down the road.

Missed the Steeler pick when it came up, but wanted to drop in and give it a :thumbup:Addresses a desperate need, and even though Starks no longer appears to be an elite prospect, if he can rekindle the fire that put him at the top of the "future prospects" lists a few years ago, he'd represent a nice value here. We'll see, I guess, but when it comes to 3rd rd picks, I think you take a chance. I like it.

Peterman, sounds good:Positives: Nasty blocker that excels in a small area. Quickly gets off the ball, explosive at the point of attack and easily turns defenders from the action. Quick with his hands, jolts opponents with a punch of his arm and stays square, fighting hard throughout the action. Disciplined, intelligent and immediately picks up assignments. Anchors in pass protection and a masher that uses all his assets to the fullest. Negatives: Stiff, lacks footwork in space and the ability to slide laterally. Not effective on the move and an average athlete. Analysis: A tough guy with a good head for the position, Peterman has been a productive college guard that plays with the mentality of a defensive lineman. Naturally strong and explosive in his lower body, he will be an asset for a power running offense.

Hill at DE for NE - that team is now stacked and deep at defensive line. I think Hill will develop over the next year or two into a decent DE, able to be used in a rotation without losing a step from the starter.
I hear that Hill is a nutcase. Hopefully, he'll undermine what they have going.

Did I hear that right? Coughlin's daughter had an illegitimate kid by Snee and then COughlin drafts Snee? Was it a shotgun draft pick? Weird..
Maybe thats why NYG were so anal about not trading that second rounder to SD today . . .

Now the mad scramble begins...all the teams will be looking closely at the players left and trying to find the "diamonds in the rough" or players that could have been drafted in day 1 and were perhaps overlooked for various reasons. The Giants are on the clock with a VERY valuable pick IMHO. Any guesses to who that pick will be?

Missed the Steeler pick when it came up, but wanted to drop in and give it a :thumbup:Addresses a desperate need, and even though Starks no longer appears to be an elite prospect, if he can rekindle the fire that put him at the top of the "future prospects" lists a few years ago, he'd represent a nice value here. We'll see, I guess, but when it comes to 3rd rd picks, I think you take a chance. I like it.
If he keeps his weight under control he could be a steal.

Everytime I think about the Patriots Defensive Line I cringe.

Everytime I think about the Patriots Defensive Line I cringe.
Ricky's gonna have problems - luckily the Pats d-backs are probably gonna struggle against Boston , Chambers and McMichael's since they've had their mugging license revoked, and BEST OF ALL - no snowy Foxboro games. Beat the Pats early in the year, and the phins have an excellent chance of exacting a sweep revenge in 2004 when they see the Pats again in December - likely for the division crown.Plus, the Pats ALWAYS struggle the year after they've played in the big game. ;)On point though, their defense will be scary for years to come whie the phins' defense is aging rapidly.

Am I the only one who really likes the RB Dallas drafted. He seems to have the two things that Hambrick lacks - tackle breaking and "giddee-up" speed (speed to burst away from the first line defenders).Plus, he seems to glide along the line instead of stopping and cutting - which was how Hanbrick often got stuffed for a loss.
I like the pick too, and was lurking to see if anyone else did too this morning.What Dallas got at pick 22 was too good to pass up. Dallas wasn't the only team that wasn't overly impressed with Jackson and may get a top 5 pick next year as a result of it.But just focusing in on Julius Jones, I like him. I watched about half the Notre Dame games last year, and the only guy with speed/skills on that team was Julius. He had a real nice game vs. USC and really the only real threat on a stagnant team.I don't know his father/family, but every game they showed him in the stands. He was always stone faced, really concerned and into the game. I mention this because that kind of personality/work ethic often trickles down into the kid and I believe that Julius Jones will come to Dallas and work real hard to earn that starting spot. Julius Jones, running back from Notre Dame, going into Dallas. It's weird, I've always liked that kid, and didn't really know why. It turns out he's the 1st pick for the Cowboys in 2004. On the records as saying "I like it."

I don't know his father/family, but every game they showed him in the stands. He was always stone faced, really concerned and into the game. I mention this because that kind of personality/work ethic often trickles down into the kid and I believe that Julius Jones will come to Dallas and work real hard to earn that starting spot.
I wonder if the father is to blame for the sons' inability to "answer the phone" without breaking their hands. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread