What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I have 2 pork butts, 8.5 lbs each, and a 12 lb whole packer brisket on my wsm right now. They've been on since 10-1030 last night, so about 8 hrs, at 200 per the wsm thermometer. The butts just read 164 degrees and the brisket 170ish.

I'm not feeding people until 6 pm so I'm afraid they're getting done too quick. I refilled the charcoal and am going to try to bring the temp down to around 185... Is this ok? How long can all of the meat safely rest in a cooler before worrying about bacteria growth?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 pork butts, 8.5 lbs each, and a 12 lb whole packer brisket on my wsm right now. They've been on since 10-1030 last night, so about 8 hrs, at 200 per the wsm thermometer. The butts just read 164 degrees and the brisket 170ish.

I'm not feeding people until 6 pm so I'm afraid they're getting done too quick. I refilled the charcoal and am going to try to bring the temp down to around 185... Is this ok? How long can all of the meat safely rest in a cooler before worrying about bacteria growth?

TIA
Double wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, place in a cooler. I've gone as long as 4 hours and the meat was still too hot to pull with bare hands. You will be fine.

ETA: You still have a ways to go before they finish, too. Pull both at 195 internal. Pork can go a little longer.

I made some pretty ridiculous St. Louis-style spare ribs yesterday. I had some really nice fresh peaches that I wanted to incorporate into the ribs, so I made a peach bourbon glaze that I applied at the end of the cook. I made the peach boubon glaze with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, puréed grilled peaches with honey, puréed smoked Vidalia onion, fresh squeezed orange and peach juice, molasses, maple sugar, and spices. The peach bourbon glaze caramelized into the bark of the ribs after applying it during the last 30 minutes or so of the cook. The ribs got rave reviews from the in-laws and family. Here's a pic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/2531/9eyu.jpg
Do you have more exact measurements? Got contacted by Four Roses to do some grilling with their bourbon, and this might be the perfect recipe to do that!
Here are my approximations of the measurements for my peach bourbon glaze:

2/3 cup of ketchup

1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

3/4 - 1 cup of bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed peach juice

1/3 cup of molasses

1/4 cup of pure maple sugar

1 puréed large smoked Vidalia onion

1 puréed grilled peach with honey

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2-3 tablespoons of peach preserves

1/2 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon of paprika

1/2 tablespoon of chile powder

1/2 tablespoon of salt

In order to smoke the Vidalia onion, I peeled it, fanned out the layers of the onion a bit, scooped part of the center of the onion out, drizzled it with butter and olive oil, added some salt and pepper, and then placed it on the smoker for about an hour and a half. My rationale behind smoking the onion is to try to infuse the sauce with some natural smoke flavor.

With the grilled peach, I just glazed the peach with some honey and put it on the grill for a little while until it softened up and got some grill marks.

I simmered the sauce for about two hours.

I applied the glaze during the last 30-40 minutes of the cook during which it kind of caramelized on the bark of the ribs.

I think the glaze added a nice fresh peach, bourbon, and sweet flavors to the ribs which complimented the spiciness from my rub nicely.

I also spritzed the ribs with a combination of apple cider vinegar, bourbon, and fresh squeezed orange and peach juices throughout the cook.

Good luck working with Four Roses! That distillery is located right by my mom's lake house in Kentucky. I just recently started playing around using bourbon in my smoking, and, while it is always hard to watch the bourbon enter a sauce rather than my mouth directly, I do enjoy the flavor it adds to the meal.
Thank you for the detail. Man after mine own heart! Gotta give all the details... As for the bolded, well, Dad got the email from Four Roses in June and then never really responded. It might be too late to work with them. If it is, I'm gonna be pissed!
We lucked out and they sent us six bottles! Now I gotta get something going with the bourbon. Thinking of going this route. Thanks Buckfast for the detail!

I made some pretty ridiculous St. Louis-style spare ribs yesterday. I had some really nice fresh peaches that I wanted to incorporate into the ribs, so I made a peach bourbon glaze that I applied at the end of the cook. I made the peach boubon glaze with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, puréed grilled peaches with honey, puréed smoked Vidalia onion, fresh squeezed orange and peach juice, molasses, maple sugar, and spices. The peach bourbon glaze caramelized into the bark of the ribs after applying it during the last 30 minutes or so of the cook. The ribs got rave reviews from the in-laws and family. Here's a pic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/2531/9eyu.jpg
Do you have more exact measurements? Got contacted by Four Roses to do some grilling with their bourbon, and this might be the perfect recipe to do that!
Here are my approximations of the measurements for my peach bourbon glaze:2/3 cup of ketchup

1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

3/4 - 1 cup of bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup of fresh squeezed peach juice

1/3 cup of molasses

1/4 cup of pure maple sugar

1 puréed large smoked Vidalia onion

1 puréed grilled peach with honey

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2-3 tablespoons of peach preserves

1/2 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon of paprika

1/2 tablespoon of chile powder

1/2 tablespoon of salt

In order to smoke the Vidalia onion, I peeled it, fanned out the layers of the onion a bit, scooped part of the center of the onion out, drizzled it with butter and olive oil, added some salt and pepper, and then placed it on the smoker for about an hour and a half. My rationale behind smoking the onion is to try to infuse the sauce with some natural smoke flavor.

With the grilled peach, I just glazed the peach with some honey and put it on the grill for a little while until it softened up and got some grill marks.

I simmered the sauce for about two hours.

I applied the glaze during the last 30-40 minutes of the cook during which it kind of caramelized on the bark of the ribs.

I think the glaze added a nice fresh peach, bourbon, and sweet flavors to the ribs which complimented the spiciness from my rub nicely.

I also spritzed the ribs with a combination of apple cider vinegar, bourbon, and fresh squeezed orange and peach juices throughout the cook.

Good luck working with Four Roses! That distillery is located right by my mom's lake house in Kentucky. I just recently started playing around using bourbon in my smoking, and, while it is always hard to watch the bourbon enter a sauce rather than my mouth directly, I do enjoy the flavor it adds to the meal.
Thank you for the detail. Man after mine own heart! Gotta give all the details... As for the bolded, well, Dad got the email from Four Roses in June and then never really responded. It might be too late to work with them. If it is, I'm gonna be pissed!
We lucked out and they sent us six bottles! Now I gotta get something going with the bourbon. Thinking of going this route. Thanks Buckfast for the detail!
Awesome! You can't beat free bourbon. I'd love to hear what you end up doing with the bourbon. Good luck!

I'm serving pulled pork to a group of friends tonight. Forgot to pick up the pork and make the rub yesterday :wall: so I didn't get the butts on until 9am. I cut 2 10lb butts in half and I've got them in my L BGE, and I want to pull out at 5:30.

For 4 5lb butts on a BGE, suggestions on temp to cook at to get it off in 8.5 hours? Usually when I do this I don't really care when they come off.

I'm serving pulled pork to a group of friends tonight. Forgot to pick up the pork and make the rub yesterday :wall: so I didn't get the butts on until 9am. I cut 2 10lb butts in half and I've got them in my L BGE, and I want to pull out at 5:30.

For 4 5lb butts on a BGE, suggestions on temp to cook at to get it off in 8.5 hours? Usually when I do this I don't really care when they come off.
275-300 should get it done in plenty of time I'd think. I've had to "hurry" things along before by pulling off the smoker and cooking in oven the rest of the time. Didn't really notice much of a difference other than the fat cap was a little larger because it didn't have time to melt away like it normally does. Internally, it was still really good.

275 should do it and still give you an hour or two to let rest in foil

275-300 should get it done in plenty of time I'd think. I've had to "hurry" things along before by pulling off the smoker and cooking in oven the rest of the time. Didn't really notice much of a difference other than the fat cap was a little larger because it didn't have time to melt away like it normally does. Internally, it was still really good.
I smoke my butts at 300 all the time. 5 lb butts should be done in about 5-6 hours, and then you can foil them for an hour or so and then let them rest getting them to your guests right on time...

275 should do it and still give you an hour or two to let rest in foil
:goodposting:

Damn I hate Smithfield. The only butts I've ever had issues with have always been Smithfield. Funky shapes and shoddy butchering jobs. I request Excel or Seaboard when ordering by the case. They only had Smithfield today.

Now they reached a new low. Had the smoker fired up and go to rub the butts. This is what unfolds....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40611072@N05/10044432364/

The one on the left was literally butterflied. The one on the right looked like a 3 year old got a knife and tried to cut it into cubes.

The poor customer service girl at Sam's wasn't sure what to do with a trashbag full of raw pork.

Apparently they've had plenty of Smithfield complaints and the meat guy says they are trying to phase them out. I hope he's right.

Damn I hate Smithfield. The only butts I've ever had issues with have always been Smithfield. Funky shapes and shoddy butchering jobs. I request Excel or Seaboard when ordering by the case. They only had Smithfield today.

Now they reached a new low. Had the smoker fired up and go to rub the butts. This is what unfolds....

The one on the left was literally butterflied. The one on the right looked like a 3 year old got a knife and tried to cut it into cubes.

The poor customer service girl at Sam's wasn't sure what to do with a trashbag full of raw pork.

Apparently they've had plenty of Smithfield complaints and the meat guy says they are trying to phase them out. I hope he's right.
That sucks!

Could you have bound that up with baker's twine? It's not ideal, but you might've been able to salvage that at least somewhat.

Charcoal smoking a salmon on Friday. Any thoughts on amount of charcoal? Should I plan to refuel it or just pile it higher and let it burn down over time?

That sucks!

Could you have bound that up with baker's twine? It's not ideal, but you might've been able to salvage that at least somewhat.
Maybe, but I wanted Sam's to be aware of something like this.

The local one rotates between 3 suppliers, and I'm hoping a messy open raw pork return/complaint might help sway them more and more away from Smithfield.

anyone have a good pulled beef recipe?
I did one this weekend. I used a 5# bonelss chuck roast.

I rubbed it with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper (a good bit of it), onion and garlic powder.

I put it on the smoker grate at 275* until internal reached 165* then I put it in a foil pan filled with beef broth, course chopped onions and green & red bell peppers. The bottom 3rd or so of the roast was covered in liquid.

I covered the pan tighly with aluminum foil and took the smoker up to about 350* and let it go until the IT reached 205. I then took the roast out and pulled it, then returned it to the pan and continued cooking until the liquid had reduced by about 2/3.

Plated on a large hamburger bun with the onions and peppers mixed with the beef and it was pretty darn good.

I should have taken pictures, but didn't.

Megla said:
Briman said:
anyone have a good pulled beef recipe?
What are you using for the meat? or are you asking what meat to use?
I was looking for meat suggestions as well - seems most use a chuck roast. Wasn't sure how long to cook before it was easy to pull. I've read some recipes where it was hard to pull and then they put in crock pot and cooked further - didn't really want to have to do that.

I smoked some bone-in pork chops yesterday, which turned out pretty great. My wife wanted some sort of Asian/Pacific-style pork chops, so I came up with a marinade that included fresh-squeezed orange juice, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, fresh pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, green onions, thyme, Thai chili peppers, black pepper, salt, and some other spices. I brined the pork chops for a day and then marinated them for another day and a half. I smoked the pork chops over apple wood for around 2 hours while braising them regularly with the reserved marinade. I also made an orange sriracha honey glaze from the same ingredients that I made the marinade, except for that I added some honey and molasses to give it more of a glaze consistency. After about 2 hours or so, I pulled the pork chops from the smoker, applied the glaze, and then put the chops on my gas grill on high heat for a couple minutes just to get some nice grill marks and to caramelize the glaze. I was really happy with how the pork chops came out. My wife loved them, and she usually claims that she doesn't like pork chops. I've never smoked pork chops before, but they were the most tender pork chops I've ever had. Here is a pic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img30/9894/hjo0.jpg

I smoked some bone-in pork chops yesterday, which turned out pretty great. My wife wanted some sort of Asian/Pacific-style pork chops, so I came up with a marinade that included fresh-squeezed orange juice, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, fresh pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, green onions, thyme, Thai chili peppers, black pepper, salt, and some other spices. I brined the pork chops for a day and then marinated them for another day and a half. I smoked the pork chops over apple wood for around 2 hours while braising them regularly with the reserved marinade. I also made an orange sriracha honey glaze from the same ingredients that I made the marinade, except for that I added some honey and molasses to give it more of a glaze consistency. After about 2 hours or so, I pulled the pork chops from the smoker, applied the glaze, and then put the chops on my gas grill on high heat for a couple minutes just to get some nice grill marks and to caramelize the glaze. I was really happy with how the pork chops came out. My wife loved them. I've never smoked pork chops before, but they were the most tender pork chops I've ever had. Here is a pic:

Sounds and looks delicious. I think I know what I'm having for dinner, but I'll have to cut the brine and marinating times.

I smoked some bone-in pork chops yesterday, which turned out pretty great. My wife wanted some sort of Asian/Pacific-style pork chops, so I came up with a marinade that included fresh-squeezed orange juice, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, fresh pineapple juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, green onions, thyme, Thai chili peppers, black pepper, salt, and some other spices. I brined the pork chops for a day and then marinated them for another day and a half. I smoked the pork chops over apple wood for around 2 hours while braising them regularly with the reserved marinade. I also made an orange sriracha honey glaze from the same ingredients that I made the marinade, except for that I added some honey and molasses to give it more of a glaze consistency. After about 2 hours or so, I pulled the pork chops from the smoker, applied the glaze, and then put the chops on my gas grill on high heat for a couple minutes just to get some nice grill marks and to caramelize the glaze. I was really happy with how the pork chops came out. My wife loved them, and she usually claims that she doesn't like pork chops. I've never smoked pork chops before, but they were the most tender pork chops I've ever had. Here is a pic:

WOW! That looks amazing and love the combination of flavors!

Long time griller, novice smoker wanting to put my foot in and see if it is something I want to do. Tried once with a $50 Wal-Mart special charcoal smoker and hated it. Constantly adding charcoal and couldn't maintain heat. ( I know get what you pay for) I am thinking about getting an electric smoker since it would be easier to maintain temp and I just worry about water and wood. I see myself checking it once an hour but not the type to sit there for hours watching it smoke.

I wanted to check with the FBG's here before I purchase something I will end up not using. We purchase a 1/2 cow every year and I wanted to smoke brisket and maybe a pork shoulder or ribs this weekend. I welcome all advice.

Long time griller, novice smoker wanting to put my foot in and see if it is something I want to do. Tried once with a $50 Wal-Mart special charcoal smoker and hated it. Constantly adding charcoal and couldn't maintain heat. ( I know get what you pay for) I am thinking about getting an electric smoker since it would be easier to maintain temp and I just worry about water and wood. I see myself checking it once an hour but not the type to sit there for hours watching it smoke.

I wanted to check with the FBG's here before I purchase something I will end up not using. We purchase a 1/2 cow every year and I wanted to smoke brisket and maybe a pork shoulder or ribs this weekend. I welcome all advice.
I use a propane smoker and love it. Went that route for many of the reasons you listed above.

I have a WSM, but I've used an electric (MasterBuilt, I think) at my parents' house and I don't see, or taste, anything at all wrong with them. They are "set it and forget it" to a point. You do have to pull the wood compartment thing out a couple of times for longer cooks and refill it, but that's easy.

I have thought about getting one and might do it soon. However, a WSM is also not a smoker you have to spend a lot of time tending to.

By reading this I thought I would upgrade to a WSM in the future if I find I really enjoy it. Why would you consider getting an electric if you already have a WSM?

I generally stay away from Smithfield now. After being purchased by a Chinese company, I felt it best just to stay away.

By reading this I thought I would upgrade to a WSM in the future if I find I really enjoy it. Why would you consider getting an electric if you already have a WSM?
Don't know if you mentioned it, but you said you grill a lot......what types of grills do you already have?

I ask because I think the Weber Kettle is wonderful for smoking. Perfectly suitable for a couple butts or a brisket (flat) or a few racks few racks of ribs.

If you are just starting to do some smoking, it's not really necessary to get a dedicated smoker. The Kettle (and probably some other grills) is a very effective, very simple, and doesn't require a ton of maintenance.

You can get 2 hours of consistent smoking temps with them with some practice (much more if you go with a snake technique) and that practice itself is great tool for gaining experience.

Anyway, just an idea if you happen to already have a Kettle. I don't know anyone that's ever regretted getting a WSM though.

I generally stay away from Smithfield now. After being purchased by a Chinese company, I felt it best just to stay away.
This week, Sam's hasn't had any Smithfield butts on display. :thumbup:

Cawdor said:
Just to have mostly and add to my WSMs. And for ease if I don't want to mess with the charcoal at times. But I'd never go completely away from the WSMs.

pollardsvision said:
The Commish said:

What are they replacing them with? Ours still has Smithfield (as of yesterday) :kicksrock:

pollardsvision said:
The Commish said:

What are they replacing them with? Ours still has Smithfield (as of yesterday) :kicksrock:
They've always had a rotation of sorts with Smithfield, Excel, and Seaboard. They often have 2 or even 3 of them out at the same time. Sometimes they might just have one for a month or so though.

They seemed to be having more and more Excel over the last 6 months or so (until the sea of Smithfield started a couple weeks ago). Excel's the brand for most of the beef too.

You might try asking the meat manager if they have anything else in the back. When I brought the Smithfield's back, the meat manager broke up a case of Seaboard from the back for me.

That might not be possible at yours if they seem to deal exclusively in Smithfield, but it might be worth asking. Certainly, it's worth mentioning your objections to Smithfield to see if they might start trying to get other brands in.

It could be the problem (for you) is that Smithfield's biggest plant is down in Bladen County, NC. Largest pork processing plant in the world (in a town of 117 people). Maybe the NC/SC Sam's just get too good of deal from them.

pollardsvision said:
The Commish said:

They've always had a rotation of sorts with Smithfield, Excel, and Seaboard. They often have 2 or even 3 of them out at the same time. Sometimes they might just have one for a month or so though.

They seemed to be having more and more Excel over the last 6 months or so (until the sea of Smithfield started a couple weeks ago). Excel's the brand for most of the beef too.

You might try asking the meat manager if they have anything else in the back. When I brought the Smithfield's back, the meat manager broke up a case of Seaboard from the back for me.

That might not be possible at yours if they seem to deal exclusively in Smithfield, but it might be worth asking. Certainly, it's worth mentioning your objections to Smithfield to see if they might start trying to get other brands in.

It could be the problem (for you) is that Smithfield's biggest plant is down in Bladen County, NC. Largest pork processing plant in the world (in a town of 117 people). Maybe the NC/SC Sam's just get too good of deal from them.
Yeah...all I ever see in any Sams I go into is Smithfield. Now, I will say, they've started with an "organic" line of foods...right now it's just pork loins and chicken. You might be onto something with the plant being close by.

WHAT a day for me! I just trimmed and tossed a brisket flat into a 2 gallon bag with pretty much everything but the kitchen sink in there (course brown mustard, a little yellow mustard, worcestershire, fish sauce and Andria's). I will be smoking that bad boy on Monday.

Then I skinned a slab of ribs that I will be doing a side by side between two different jerk marinaded. Just going to sample them for a post for the website (And make me a couple lunches next week).

Did I mention I have a prime grade, bone in rib eye thawing out in the sink? That's dinner!

Oh and Mizzou took it to Georgia in Georgia and the Cardinals have thrown the first pitch in the second game of the NLCS (recording it and will pick it up in about 40 minutes so I can skip the commercials).

What an epic day. If the Cardinals win, I might have a permanent wood all day tomorrow!

WHAT a day for me! I just trimmed and tossed a brisket flat into a 2 gallon bag with pretty much everything but the kitchen sink in there (course brown mustard, a little yellow mustard, worcestershire, fish sauce and Andria's). I will be smoking that bad boy on Monday.

Then I skinned a slab of ribs that I will be doing a side by side between two different jerk marinaded. Just going to sample them for a post for the website (And make me a couple lunches next week).

Did I mention I have a prime grade, bone in rib eye thawing out in the sink? That's dinner!

Oh and Mizzou took it to Georgia in Georgia and the Cardinals have thrown the first pitch in the second game of the NLCS (recording it and will pick it up in about 40 minutes so I can skip the commercials).

What an epic day. If the Cardinals win, I might have a permanent wood all day tomorrow!
What's with thawing frozen steaks? I thought it was generally best to go straight from the freezer to the grill? :ninja:

Someone please settle the grilling frozen steak issue please. I have never grilled a frozen steak, I always thaw first. How should I be doing it?

Actually did a new york last night straight from the freezer. AFAIK, my taste buds tell me it tasted nearly as good as when I had it fresh from the same batch three weeks ago.

FWIW, I individually foil-wrapped the steaks as soon as i bring them home in foil and outer-layer it with wrap. Costco Prime.

I keep hearing about steaks frozen to the grill, but have never tried it. I need to.
You and me both.
I want to say that someone I know ordered some Omaha steaks. She took them frozen to the grill and said they were pretty good. I need to check out their instructions and try that...
I believe that your opinion is worthy of listening to so please post here when you find out. Giggled as I typed that.

The fanatic is a grillin guru. I was attempting to be humourous in my deprecating praise of his opinion.
What sucks is that I have four steaks in my freezer. They are in two packs, and frozen together. I can't get them apart to test this theory without thawing them out. So now I have to buy a steak specifically for this. Ah, well. The things I do for my craft!!

TheFanatic said:
The fanatic is a grillin guru. I was attempting to be humourous in my deprecating praise of his opinion.
What sucks is that I have four steaks in my freezer. They are in two packs, and frozen together. I can't get them apart to test this theory without thawing them out. So now I have to buy a steak specifically for this. Ah, well. The things I do for my craft!!
Is there a particularly good reason you would bound/wrap them up together like that? Just foil them individually then easily unwrap onto the grill. Painless.

TheFanatic said:
Is there a particularly good reason you would bound/wrap them up together like that? Just foil them individually then easily unwrap onto the grill. Painless.
I didn't think it was good to put foil on meat because something bad leaches out of the foil and into the meat? Nonsense or something to be wary of?

Never done the frozen steak thing. Those that have, what's the dealio? Indirect for a while until the middle gets close to where you want it, then sear it up? What kind of time are we talking for the indirect?

I didn't buy them bound like that. At some point I bought steaks and I didn't grill all of them. I tossed the last two in a ziplock, labeled the bag and put them in the freezer. This happened twice, evidently. One of the sets was from a dinner party we had and one of the couples children had hand, foot and mouth so they bailed. No idea on the other set. The bad news is there is no more evidence to investigate further. I have eaten all of them!

Does anyone have Omaha Steaks instructions on grilling their steaks frozen? I would like to do a side by side, frozen against my standard method.

Speaking of side by side steak methods. I tested one recently. I take my steaks out of the fridge, set them on the counter and season with salt and pepper and let come to room temp. I was told by a guy here in St. Louis that if you have to put the salt on right before it goes on the grill. That doing it early, will cause too much moisture to leave the meat or some such. I tested this side by side. Sad to say my method did not win. Neither did his. I found no difference. Going to test the room temp thing soon...

So, I decided to smoke some ribs for my Thanksgiving potluck lunch for work this year. I am planning on getting up really early to get my fire started, in hope that the ribs will be ready around 11:30 AM or so. My one major concern is how the air temperature -- which will likely be in the mid-40s throughout the majority of the cook -- will affect my smoking time. Anybody have a feeling for what I should anticipate for a colder weather smoke?

Also, any ideas on the best way to preserve the ribs until serving time if they finish early? Should I just keep them in an aluminum pan with foil on top?

So, I decided to smoke some ribs for my Thanksgiving potluck lunch for work this year. I am planning on getting up really early to get my fire started, in hope that the ribs will be ready around 11:30 AM or so. My one major concern is how the air temperature -- which will likely be in the mid-40s throughout the majority of the cook -- will affect my smoking time. Anybody have a feeling for what I should anticipate for a colder weather smoke?

Also, any ideas on the best way to preserve the ribs until serving time if they finish early? Should I just keep them in an aluminum pan with foil on top?
If your smoker is shielded from the wind then the temps you state should not effect your cooking times at all. Once you have your ribs where you want them double foil them, place them in a cooler and cover with towls, they will stay hot for hours this way.

As a tip, I always spray my ribs with apple juice when I foil/cooler rest

If your smoker is shielded from the wind then the temps you state should not effect your cooking times at all. Once you have your ribs where you want them double foil them, place them in a cooler and cover with towls, they will stay hot for hours this way.As a tip, I always spray my ribs with apple juice when I foil/cooler rest
Thanks a lot for the tips. That cooler trick should help give me a little more leeway if the ribs finish earlier than expected. I just don't want to be in a position where I'm late for the potluck because my ribs aren't done yet.

If your smoker is shielded from the wind then the temps you state should not effect your cooking times at all. Once you have your ribs where you want them double foil them, place them in a cooler and cover with towls, they will stay hot for hours this way.As a tip, I always spray my ribs with apple juice when I foil/cooler rest
Thanks again for the tips. Everything worked out really well last night and today. Even though the outside temperatures were in the 30's and low 40's for most of the night, I didn't have any problems keeping my smoker temps in the ideal range. I ultimately pulled my ribs from the smoker around 9:30 a.m. and then double-foiled and put in a cooler with towels as you suggested. When I pulled them out before lunch at around 11:15 a.m., the ribs were a perfect temperature to serve.

Users who are viewing this thread