What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2013 MINNESOTA VIKINGS SEASON THREAD (1 Viewer)

I got to say I am worried about the Vikings getting beat by a team that everyone seems to think is tanking. That is how much confidence I have in the Vikings coaching staff.
If they lose this weekend, I will be :bag: for the rest of the season. In fact, I told my wife last night that if they do lose, I will be selling all of my purple gear and will swear off them. Oh, I also picked them in my survivor pools this week. :scared:
I feel OK because I knew there was a good possibility of a loss this week. I hope you aren't taking it too hard.
:goodposting:

I felt going in the Cleveland front 7 was a really bad matchup for this OL. Pass blocking is bar none the biggest reason for 0-3. It was a masked major issue last year, and JMHO really made it impossible for Ponder to learn to step into the pocket. For an injury-free starting unit to be this bad both run/pass blocking is bewildering. Goes without saying these have been total team losses with mistakes in every unit... including coaching. But honestly, with even marginal OL play, this team is 2-1, the many other team shortcomings aren't under a microscope, and everyone is talking about playoffs,.

I heard Tice on KFAN last week sort of anxious being out of football. As comically ill-eqiipped as Tice was as a head coach or offensive coordinator, I'd take him back in a second to work with this OL.

I said it last week, and I'll say it every week from now on.

Leslie Frazier is in over his head as an NFL Head Coach. Has been since the beginning. He's a very nice man but I think his peak was as a Def. Coordinator. I think he would be best served as a position coach and think that is where he will end up as soon as he is sh!canned in Minny. (Hopefully tomorrow.)

Oh, and guess what? They get to travel to London for a Home game next week to take on the pissed off Stillers !!!! :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

Huh some of you guys seem to think that the Vikings should follow the plan of every other team and put all eggs in a basket to get an elite QB.

Remember when the Vikings signed Favre? They tried that. Almost made it to the Super Bowl also. Then the next season he totally fell off.

So do not say the Vikings have not tried to get a QB good enough to win with. What you need to realize is that there are just not many opportunities to do so.

The last time the Vikings drafted a QB who worked out it was Daunte Culpepper. I bet most of you guys hated him to. He was perfect for the Vikings offense at that time however and played very well. It helps having elite WRs to work with when developing a young QB.

What has Ponder had to work with? Percy Harvin is a RB/WR hybrid, not a true receiver. Still most everyone seems to want to pull the plug.

I remember when Vikings fans were calling for Gino Torretta to get the start. <_<

I also do not like the talk about wasting Peterson's career. The guy just came very close to breaking Eric Dickerson's record, the team is built around him, to make him as successful as we can, yet people still are saying that we are wasting his career. They did try to win it all by adding Favre, they are doing the best they can to develop Ponder, now finally getting him some quality WR to work with. It has only been 2 weeks. These things take time.

Ponder is not even what I would call a good QB yet, but he is what the Vikings have and no the Vikings have not had better options that they just passed on. It is not as easy as you guys seem to think to get a franchise QB. And no Alex Smith would not qualify.

What Cleveland did is no guarantee they will get a franchise QB either. Even if they go 0-16 and get the 1st overall pick there is no telling if that guy will pan out or not.
Seems like your rant wasn't quite thought out as well as most of your other postings in here. I don't think there are many here (any?) asking for an Elite QB...and I'm not sure how some of us wanting Alex Smith (or a guy that just gets the job done) says anything other than that.

I didn't get to watch this game (or didn't have to watch, depending on how you look at it)...so I don't have a thing to say about the game or players itself. The coaching staff not being able to get this team prepared and fired up for this game though is very telling.

I said it last week, and I'll say it every week from now on.

Leslie Frazier is in over his head as an NFL Head Coach. Has been since the beginning. He's a very nice man but I think his peak was as a Def. Coordinator. I think he would be best served as a position coach and think that is where he will end up as soon as he is sh!canned in Minny. (Hopefully tomorrow.)

Oh, and guess what? They get to travel to London for a Home game next week to take on the pissed off Stillers !!!! :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:
I have dubbed the game the Clowney bowl.

(Since I have serious doubts that either of these team take a QB in the draft even though the Vikings should)

I don't think Frazier is the problem. He's not perfect but the issues he has in large part are the cards he's been dealt IMHO.

I don't think Frazier is the problem. He's not perfect but the issues he has in large part are the cards he's been dealt IMHO.
:shrug: he got out coached by a rookie NFL head coach, with a 3rd string QB and no running game to speak of..

For someone that has been around as long as he has, you shouldn't get :own3d: that badly at home.

He is a very nice guy, but, IMO, is over his head when it comes to being a NFL Head Coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I say bad things about the Vikings, I do have to say that it was really nice to see some "creativity" in the NFL. Yes, the Browns had nothing to lose, but I loved the trick calls!! The games need more of that!

The offensive line is terrible!!

How is Joe Webb NOT on the field for a final Hail Mary pass? Maybe they knew that the line couldn't block long enough anyway, but come on!

:shrug: he got out coached by a rookie NFL head coach, with a 3rd string QB and no running game to speak of..

For someone that has been around as long as he has, you shouldn't get :own3d: that badly at home.

He is a very nice guy, but, IMO, is over his head when it comes to being a NFL Head Coach.
Fair enough, I just disagree. Does the fact that nobody on ST recognized a WR in a FG situation mean Frazier got outcoached? Why isn't that on Priefer instead of Frazier? The OL allowed 5 sacks and opened no running lanes for 4 quarters; why would that reflect on Frazier and not OL coach Davidson or the OL themselves? Does the fact that Ponder couldn't seal the win with a simple 5 yard out pass mean Frazier got outcoached? Why would that reflect on Frazier instead of Ponder? If Ponder makes that throw and the Vikes run out the clock, does that mean Frazier didn't get outcoached by Chud?

I guess I just don't see it as Frazier's job to advise ST to recognize a wide open receiver, ensure that Ponder throws accurately, or compel the OL to block. Seems to me you are looking at the whole and making a conclusion that this loss came down to things Frazier himself did or didn't do and that's fine if you want a "the buck stops here" figurehead scapegoat. But it doesn't get closer to a solving the actual problems, which sadly IMHO, are more attributed to assistant coaching and underperforming players. Also, part of my thinking is Frazier got this team to play well beyond its reasonable expectations last year, and JMHO that was more indicative of his leadership/coaching abilities than anything I've seen this year.

Fair enough, I just disagree. Does the fact that nobody on ST recognized a WR in a FG situation mean Frazier got outcoached? Why isn't that on Priefer instead of Frazier? The OL allowed 5 sacks and opened no running lanes for 4 quarters; why would that reflect on Frazier and not OL coach Davidson or the OL themselves? Does the fact that Ponder couldn't seal the win with a simple 5 yard out pass mean Frazier got outcoached? Why would that reflect on Frazier instead of Ponder? If Ponder makes that throw and the Vikes run out the clock, does that mean Frazier didn't get outcoached by Chud?

I guess I just don't see it as Frazier's job to advise ST to recognize a wide open receiver, ensure that Ponder throws accurately, or compel the OL to block. Seems to me you are looking at the whole and making a conclusion that this loss came down to things Frazier himself did or didn't do and that's fine if you want a "the buck stops here" figurehead scapegoat. But it doesn't get closer to a solving the actual problems, which sadly IMHO, are more attributed to assistant coaching and underperforming players. Also, part of my thinking is Frazier got this team to play well beyond its reasonable expectations last year, and JMHO that was more indicative of his leadership/coaching abilities than anything I've seen this year.
Most of what you mention there goes back to the Head Coach.. Who in the end, has the final say on assistant coaches..

The OL has sucked for 3 straight games when it comes to blocking and he hasn't done anything to change it.. If the OL Coach can't fix the blocking issues after two games, then it's time for a change.

Ponder should not be starting as the QB.. Cassell probably isn't the answer, but can he really be much worse?

Musgrave's "Game Plan" is predictable, and has been since he became the Offensive coordinator, and Fraiser has done nothing to change that.

Heck, even Frasier himself stated last week he had no idea why Patterson wasn't a bigger part of the offense and that would change.. Unless I missed it he still wasn't a bigger part of the offense..

Goes back to being held accountable for your actions and if Musgrave, any assistant coach, or the players themselves are not performing like they should, then the Head coach has the responsibility to make any necessary changes needed to get the message out.

Other then Greenway getting angry at a reporter yesterday and Robinson's "frustanger" comment, the rest seemed like robots with their "Each of us have to look in the mirror" comments after an embarrassing loss.

IMO, all of that goes back to the coach.. He doesn't seem to have the "fire" that is needed these days to get players to respond and it is showing up on the field.

Guess there is always next year huh?? ;)

Most of what you mention there goes back to the Head Coach
Maybe, maybe not. I honestly don't have a good feel for what sort of authority Frazier has. Does he have authority to hire/fire Musgraves? If he has the authority, and puts his neck out insisting to keep status quo, sure I guess he's taking ownership and should be scrutinized. On Ponder, he has zero/zippo/nada accountability there. According to Pete Bercich last night on WCCO, Frazier has no authority to yank Ponder... he would need to get it blessed by Spielman "who is focused on the big picture" according to Bercich. Without knowing more about Frazier's authority, I'm not ready to hold him accountable for relying on assistant coaches to do their job, or the fact we're stuck with Ponder in the near term.

BigJim® said:
snogger said:
BigJim® said:
:shrug: he got out coached by a rookie NFL head coach, with a 3rd string QB and no running game to speak of..For someone that has been around as long as he has, you shouldn't get :own3d: that badly at home.

Fair enough, I just disagree. Does the fact that nobody on ST recognized a WR in a FG situation mean Frazier got outcoached? Why isn't that on Priefer instead of Frazier? The OL allowed 5 sacks and opened no running lanes for 4 quarters; why would that reflect on Frazier and not OL coach Davidson or the OL themselves? Does the fact that Ponder couldn't seal the win with a simple 5 yard out pass mean Frazier got outcoached? Why would that reflect on Frazier instead of Ponder? If Ponder makes that throw and the Vikes run out the clock, does that mean Frazier didn't get outcoached by Chud?I guess I just don't see it as Frazier's job to advise ST to recognize a wide open receiver, ensure that Ponder throws accurately, or compel the OL to block. Seems to me you are looking at the whole and making a conclusion that this loss came down to things Frazier himself did or didn't do and that's fine if you want a "the buck stops here" figurehead scapegoat. But it doesn't get closer to a solving the actual problems, which sadly IMHO, are more attributed to assistant coaching and underperforming players. Also, part of my thinking is Frazier got this team to play well beyond its reasonable expectations last year, and JMHO that was more indicative of his leadership/coaching abilities than anything I've seen this year.
Most of what you mention there goes back to the Head Coach
Maybe, maybe not. I honestly don't have a good feel for what sort of authority Frazier has. Does he have authority to hire/fire Musgraves? If he has the authority, and puts his neck out insisting to keep status quo, sure I guess he's taking ownership and should be scrutinized. On Ponder, he has zero/zippo/nada accountability there. According to Pete Bercich last night on WCCO, Frazier has no authority to yank Ponder... he would need to get it blessed by Spielman "who is focused on the big picture" according to Bercich. Without knowing more about Frazier's authority, I'm not ready to hold him accountable for relying on assistant coaches to do their job, or the fact we're stuck with Ponder in the near term.
If in fact Frazier doesn't have the juice to bench Ponder, there is a big problem here. I tend to agree with Big Jim on most of his points, and I strongly support Spielman. And there is way more blame to go around than just dumping the lion's share at Ponder's feet. But if Spielman would be required to give his blessing before the HC could make a change at QB, there is a huge organizational balance inequity, IMO.

snogger said:
Musgrave's "Game Plan" is predictable, and has been since he became the Offensive coordinator, and Fraiser has done nothing to change that.

Heck, even Frasier himself stated last week he had no idea why Patterson wasn't a bigger part of the offense and that would change.. Unless I missed it he still wasn't a bigger part of the offense..
As I thought..

Minnesota Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson played in only 19 of the team's 79 offensive snaps in Week 3.

:wall:

I don't care if he is still learning routes. If nothing else send him out as a decoy... It's not like Simpson, Jennings, or any of our other retreads are doing anything out there..

Less then 25% of the Offensive plays is beyond :loco:

I know that dealing star players is very hard and I have no idea what the 49ers salary cap looks like but I would like at least a call to be made to see if there is any interest at all by the 49ers in Jared Allen for a 1 year rental as a result of the problems and uncertainty about how long Aldon Smith will be out. I know it is 2 different defensive schemes but I think Allen can do it and being traded to a contender right now would super motivate him. Trading Allen gets Everson Griffen into the lineup as a starter and we sign him to an extension right away. I would also like to see Baca replace Johnson and Chase Baker, Mauti, and Hodges get into the lineup to see what we have there at NT and LB for the future. At 0-3 and a super hard schedule in front of us this season should be an all out evaluation fest I believe.

I know that dealing star players is very hard and I have no idea what the 49ers salary cap looks like but I would like at least a call to be made to see if there is any interest at all by the 49ers in Jared Allen for a 1 year rental as a result of the problems and uncertainty about how long Aldon Smith will be out. I know it is 2 different defensive schemes but I think Allen can do it and being traded to a contender right now would super motivate him. Trading Allen gets Everson Griffen into the lineup as a starter and we sign him to an extension right away. I would also like to see Baca replace Johnson and Chase Baker, Mauti, and Hodges get into the lineup to see what we have there at NT and LB for the future. At 0-3 and a super hard schedule in front of us this season should be an all out evaluation fest I believe.
Have this gut feeling that if.. oh who am I kidding, WHEN they lose to the Steeler's, there will be lot's of calls in and out of the Vikings front office.

Whether any deals happen or not is :shrug: but many teams will feel that the Vikings are ripe for the picking if they go to 0-4.

Wonder what it would take to pry Freeman away from Tampa? Probably an ugly contract too but I'd consider it.

I would also like to see Baca replace Johnson.
I'm a little surprised Brandon Fusco doesn't get talked about much. Seems like earlier in his career he was raved about as a tough guy up-and-comer to the OL. I haven't seen that at all. Seems like a seive, and a bad fit in between Sullivan/Loadholdt, who have their own problems holding point of attack. We haven't seen anything resembling a pocket in 2012-2013, and when DEs are beating Loadholdt outside we'd sure better have someone who can work in space on the inside. Here is a snippet from the NFL predraft summary for Fusco:

WeaknessesLacks the athleticism of a starting lineman. Struggles to mirror and stay in front of defensive tackles with good agility. Can be beat to the spot off the ball. Needs to watch his pad level and stay low. Is not comfortable blocking out in space or hitting moving targets.

JMHO, if the Vikes are doing any shuffling at OL, they should start with Fusco. A nice story for a Slippery Rock college player, but he hasn't shown himself to be an NFL starter, at least not in the mix on this particular OL that already struggles at things he needs help with.

Bloody Pumpkins.

I only like to talk about professional football. Maybe the Vikings can prove they are a pro team, maybe not. I do not think we saw that standard of play in the Vikings home opener. :bag:

Ponder is hurt now so maybe there is a chance we see some pro football ahead. All the other issues still need to be resolved however. The coaches... ok I cannot talk about the coaches. But what we have seen in terms of preparation has been piss poor. What would make me think they can fix this over the bye or any time frame?

I dunno. Like I said I am still waiting to see some professional football.

If in fact Frazier doesn't have the juice to bench Ponder, there is a big problem here. I tend to agree with Big Jim on most of his points, and I strongly support Spielman. And there is way more blame to go around than just dumping the lion's share at Ponder's feet. But if Spielman would be required to give his blessing before the HC could make a change at QB, there is a huge organizational balance inequity, IMO.
I should likely take Jim off ignore. He makes a good point about this. I am not sure if Frazier has the authority to bench Spielman's investments either. If his hands are tied there, that is a bigger problem.

The main reason the Vikings lost so many games in 2010-2011 is because of poor coverage. Frazier and Williams are former defensive backs. They should be doing a better job of this than they have. The Vikings need upgraded personel at LB and all defensive back positions. The only players doing a good job are Rhodes and Smith right now and they have made plenty of mistakes as well.

You cannot win in todays NFL if you cannot cover. I am seeing where the QB should be attacking the Vikings coverage pre snap and I am just a fan. I don't call trying to be in position to make the tackle after a guy has caught the ball coverage. The Vikings will not win until they play some defense. The quick drops and screen game will continue.

I am bored to death of every team seemingly running the same 3WR with a TE run and shoot spread football. Defenses need to be able to stop this for a team to do anything in the NFL right now.

The improvement in turn overs is a positive. Several of these games were winnable if the Vikings offense did not turn the ball over as much as the defense has been forcing turnovers.

Special teams preparation really lacking the last 2 games. I think my cat could have predicted that the Browns would be back to the wall enough to try the fake punt and field goal. Why didn't the coaching staff? No excuse for that. It is not pro football.

As I thought..

Minnesota Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson played in only 19 of the team's 79 offensive snaps in Week 3.

:wall:

I don't care if he is still learning routes. If nothing else send him out as a decoy... It's not like Simpson, Jennings, or any of our other retreads are doing anything out there..

Less then 25% of the Offensive plays is beyond :loco:
It makes no sense for them to pay what they did in the trade for Patterson to not use him more than they have. If they are going to use Joe Webb then they should have not traded for Patterson and drafted the LB (Brown) and defensive backs that are sorely needed for the Vikings to compete.

That said the catch he had, Patterson totally mangled the defender on that with no flag. It should have been PI on him. The one screen I saw them run to him was sniffed out well. The Browns do have a good defense.

I am trying to find the brightside in all this losing. The only one is that we could get a better coaching staff after the season. If the team continued to play close to 500, the team would give Frazier the benefit of the doubt.

It kinda of stange situation for me as a fan of the team. You always want to root for the team to win but you know if they do things won't change.

Huh some of you guys seem to think that the Vikings should follow the plan of every other team and put all eggs in a basket to get an elite QB.

Remember when the Vikings signed Favre? They tried that. Almost made it to the Super Bowl also. Then the next season he totally fell off.

So do not say the Vikings have not tried to get a QB good enough to win with. What you need to realize is that there are just not many opportunities to do so.

The last time the Vikings drafted a QB who worked out it was Daunte Culpepper. I bet most of you guys hated him to. He was perfect for the Vikings offense at that time however and played very well. It helps having elite WRs to work with when developing a young QB.

What has Ponder had to work with? Percy Harvin is a RB/WR hybrid, not a true receiver. Still most everyone seems to want to pull the plug.

I remember when Vikings fans were calling for Gino Torretta to get the start. <_<

I also do not like the talk about wasting Peterson's career. The guy just came very close to breaking Eric Dickerson's record, the team is built around him, to make him as successful as we can, yet people still are saying that we are wasting his career. They did try to win it all by adding Favre, they are doing the best they can to develop Ponder, now finally getting him some quality WR to work with. It has only been 2 weeks. These things take time.

Ponder is not even what I would call a good QB yet, but he is what the Vikings have and no the Vikings have not had better options that they just passed on. It is not as easy as you guys seem to think to get a franchise QB. And no Alex Smith would not qualify.

What Cleveland did is no guarantee they will get a franchise QB either. Even if they go 0-16 and get the 1st overall pick there is no telling if that guy will pan out or not.
Seems like your rant wasn't quite thought out as well as most of your other postings in here. I don't think there are many here (any?) asking for an Elite QB...and I'm not sure how some of us wanting Alex Smith (or a guy that just gets the job done) says anything other than that.

I didn't get to watch this game (or didn't have to watch, depending on how you look at it)...so I don't have a thing to say about the game or players itself. The coaching staff not being able to get this team prepared and fired up for this game though is very telling.
Well Alex Smith without quality coaching would be slightly better right now than Ponder is. But without quality coaching? He was just as bad as Ponder has been. We have the same coaches. I just do not think Smith is good enough for the Vikings to trade a 2nd round rookie pick + huge contract, if that had even been an option. I don't think it was and Singletary may have talked them out of it if they ever were interested.

I hear Favre is in great shape. :lol:

I am trying to find the brightside in all this losing. The only one is that we could get a better coaching staff after the season. If the team continued to play close to 500, the team would give Frazier the benefit of the doubt.

It kinda of stange situation for me as a fan of the team. You always want to root for the team to win but you know if they do things won't change.
Will be interesting to see who they could get if they choose to changing coaching staffs.. Especially when the next two season will be outdoors. :oldunsure:

I agree completely. I was so pumped for this season after last year and then the 3 first round picks and Greg Jennings coming in that I didn't want to see what is now so obvious and that is this coaching staff is not NFL caliber. Add in that we probably have one of the 3 or so worst QB's in the league and that spells disaster. As much as it hurts to see the Vikes lose the absolute worst case scenario would be to go 8-8 and have Frazier and Ponder win a couple in a row at the end saving their jobs and us getting like the 16th pick in the draft. Frazier and Ponder are both very nice guys and believe me I wanted it to work with both of them but it is time to move on. As terrible as it sounds I think the best thing for this teams future is to be in the 2-14ish range with a top 3 pick to get a stud QB and a brand new coaching staff coming in.

I agree completely. I was so pumped for this season after last year and then the 3 first round picks and Greg Jennings coming in that I didn't want to see what is now so obvious and that is this coaching staff is not NFL caliber. Add in that we probably have one of the 3 or so worst QB's in the league and that spells disaster. As much as it hurts to see the Vikes lose the absolute worst case scenario would be to go 8-8 and have Frazier and Ponder win a couple in a row at the end saving their jobs and us getting like the 16th pick in the draft. Frazier and Ponder are both very nice guys and believe me I wanted it to work with both of them but it is time to move on. As terrible as it sounds I think the best thing for this teams future is to be in the 2-14ish range with a top 3 pick to get a stud QB and a brand new coaching staff coming in.
I think we feel the same way about this team. I don't hate Frazier or Ponder but the coaches lack of fire and Ponders lack of execution has grown tiresome. Best case situation is to bring a coach in that is somewhat innovative. It seems like Frazier sticks to what he knows and has a hard time making adjustments. How does it take them 3 and 1/2 quarters to figure out that they shouldn't be kicking deep to Hester? This year the problem with Ponder isn't so much the lack of big plays but more the inability to execute the routine ones with the game on the line.

About the only coach off the top of my head I could see being an upgrade would be the chin. Not sure he wants to coach anymore though. Seems like it could be a good fit if Spielman could somehow talk him into it.

I think what the Vikings need more is a coach who can develop QBs. Particularly if the Vikings are going to use a high draft pick on another rookie QB.

There may be free agent QB available, so that would be another option. I do not like the retread idea as much as trying to establish a QB long term.

I would like the team to continue to emphasize the running game and defense though. Really do not want the Vikings to just copy what it seems like almost all of the other teams are doing with the spread offense.

Wonder what it would take to pry Freeman away from Tampa? Probably an ugly contract too but I'd consider it.
Doubt they'd consider a trade. But he's FA after this season. He doesn't look like much more than a good backup anyways.
wut?

you mean you doubt minny would consider a trade for freeman?

I'm pretty sure tampa would take a $25 circuit city gift card for that dude, if somebody found one in a drawer.

When Antoine Winfield decided to hang up the spikes after being released by the Seattle Seahawksduring final cuts, the cornerback's agent wisely held off on filing the required retirement paperwork.

The 14-year veteran now is working out in Houston and will consider a return to the NFL if he finds "the right situation," ESPN's Josina Anderson reported Wednesday.

Although logic dictates a player of Winfield's stature would place a high priority on joining a contender, a reunion with the Minnesota Vikings appears to be the most likely scenario.

"Antoine definitely appreciates coach (Leslie Frazier), and some of his best friends in life play on that team right now," agent Ashanti Webb told Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press two weeks ago. "He was there for basically a decade, so Minnesota will always hold a special place in his heart. But I haven't heard anything substantive from them to bring back to Antoine."

The inference is clear: Winfield indeed does have interest in returning to Minnesota if the feeling is mutual.

Asked Wednesday if Winfield might be a possibility, general manager Rick Spielman replied, "I can't rule (out) anything. You never know."

Three members of the Vikings' secondary missed practice Thursday. Something tells us the wheels already might be in motion for Winfield to join the team in London.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250860/article/antoine-winfield-reportedly-will-consider-nfl-return
Tom Brady is good at a lot of things. Breaking news usually is not one of them. But he might have accidentally let a nugget slip Wednesday while talking to New England Patriots reporters.

"I'm friends with both those guys," Brady said. "Matt Cassel, who may be starting this weekend. Brian, I text back and forth."Brady was talking about his former backup quarterbacks, Matt Cassel and Brian Hoyer, in general when he said the following:

Vikings starter Christian Ponder revealed Wednesday that he injured his ribs in last week's loss. He was listed as a limited participant on Wednesday's injury report. NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala noted that Ponder finished last week's game, which is a good sign for his availability. Then again, Ponder missed a routine throw late in the fourth quarter that could have put the game away. Perhaps this injury gives the Vikings a chance to take a look at Cassel.

Brady's comments suggest a little inside information. There's a chance Brady is just a voracious reader of Around The League, but it's more likely that Cassel gave Brady a ring to talk about Sunday's potential start against thePittsburgh Steelers in London. (Brady and Cassel always have been close.)

Brady is unlikely to have to address the issue again. If he did, he'd surely deny he meant anything by the comment.Not revealing unnecessary information is the Patriot Way, even if it's about other teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250574/article/did-tom-brady-reveal-matt-cassel-as-vikings-starter

I would kick the tires on Cowher or Tony Dungy but both are a real longshot. I would like to see David Shaw from Stanford get a shot and bring some of his defensive staff with him.

Doubt they'd consider a trade. But he's FA after this season. He doesn't look like much more than a good backup anyways.
wut?

you mean you doubt minny would consider a trade for freeman?

I'm pretty sure tampa would take a $25 circuit city gift card for that dude, if somebody found one in a drawer.
Yeah that's what I meant. Obviously TB wants to deal him.

2011 was a pretty awefull year for 1st round QB but a good year to reach for one. At least the organization is not heavily financially invested in Ponder unlike Sanchez, Freeman, and Bradford.

2011 was a pretty awefull year for 1st round QB but a good year to reach for one. At least the organization is not heavily financially invested in Ponder unlike Sanchez, Freeman, and Bradford.
Good point...I do think this is part of their thinking. And they have given him the chance...it has been proven time and again, that it is a QB league and it is tough to win without a franchise one.

Good point...I do think this is part of their thinking. And they have given him the chance...it has been proven time and again, that it is a QB league and it is tough to win without a franchise one.
Ponder would still make a reasonably priced back up Qb and might get better after some time on bench.

I don't like the PR need for injury excuses for this to happen, but whatever. Hopefully Cassell will be an improvement.

I expect Cassel to look more like an NFL qb. Better throws, better decisions, more guts. But I also expect him to be as bad at protecting the ball...as many int's and fumbles. I say he throws for 260 yards, 2 td's but 3 int.

Sort of wish the Cassel move didn't involve injury because that's smells of greasing the skids for a future stint. Exposing myself as a conspiracy sort here, but saying you are sitting a guy because a piece of his broken rib could pierce his heart, but he's week to week, sounds contrived. If it in fact hasn't happened yet, the team would be better off riding out Ponder and having a decisive moment. Whether that is Ponder surprising and showing enough, or not showing enough and being sat for good, either way. But I'm happy about the move because the team might play better for Cassel. Reportedly he's respected in the locker room as a leader, which is needed. While downfield passing is maybe not Cassel's forte, he can't be a lesser threat in that area. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Ponder has been more willing to throw deep in 2013, but how he's done it shows this won't ever be something he's good at. Hard to imagine that dropping back and floating the ball as high and far as you can with your eyes closed is considered a deep threat to opposing defenses. Ponder driving a pass and hitting a WR in stride is no threat at all. Maybe Cassel can offer that, maybe not. But hopefully in the short pass game he can deliver the ball in a way that gives playmakers better opportunity for YAC. How the rest of the team rallies around him (or doesn't) will be telling. In any event, there isn't much downside to this move.

On the game, I expect our DL to punish the Steelers OL and Roethlisberger. 27-17 Vikes.

Regarding ability, Ponder and Cassel look nearly identical to me. Average arm strength, decent-to-good mobility, quick release. Given that skillset and the makeup of our receiving core, we're built for success in the intermediate zone. Ponder hasn't done well there due to slow decision making and bad ball placement. Cassel should be better. His career year in NE came when he was feeding Welker (111 catches) and Faulk (58). If he starts working the ball to Patterson and Jennings we should do fine.

I expect Cassel to look more like an NFL qb. Better throws, better decisions, more guts. But I also expect him to be as bad at protecting the ball...as many int's and fumbles. I say he throws for 260 yards, 2 td's but 3 int.
I don't have much expectations for Cassel. I hope he surprises me and proves not to be a turnover machine. He did not impress me at all in preseason.

Regarding ability, Ponder and Cassel look nearly identical to me. Average arm strength, decent-to-good mobility, quick release. Given that skillset and the makeup of our receiving core, we're built for success in the intermediate zone. Ponder hasn't done well there due to slow decision making and bad ball placement. Cassel should be better. His career year in NE came when he was feeding Welker (111 catches) and Faulk (58). If he starts working the ball to Patterson and Jennings we should do fine.
:goodposting:

Hopefully Cassel comes in and shows Ponder how to dump it off and not be :eek: every time the defense blitzes..

Users who are viewing this thread