What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (1 Viewer)

Royals are rumored to offer Shields $90MM over 5 years to stay.

Shields's agent thanks Dayton Moore in advance for ensuring his client gets a nine-figure deal.

JJ Hardy resigns for 40mm, 3 years. Nice bit of mid-playoff business for the O's.
I don't watch a lot of Oriole baseball. Is he that good defensively nowadays? His advanced fielding metrics suggest he is if you believe UZR.

I remember him as solid when he played for Milwaukee but not a wizard and he's 32 now.

Wow if true, esp. about the Dodgers cutting payroll. Think they're already at 200mm next year with Haren's option vesting and Wilson sure to take his. Jansen and Ellis arbitration gets you to around 210, then rookie contracts / other arbs.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-colletti-plaschke-20141010-column.html

They have enough talent to make this work, but Friedman's going to have to pay people to take Ethier/Crawford/Wilson/League off his hands.

Good Posting Judge said:
Wow if true, esp. about the Dodgers cutting payroll. Think they're already at 200mm next year with Haren's option vesting and Wilson sure to take his. Jansen and Ellis arbitration gets you to around 210, then rookie contracts / other arbs.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-colletti-plaschke-20141010-column.html

They have enough talent to make this work, but Friedman's going to have to pay people to take Ethier/Crawford/Wilson/League off his hands.
I don't think it's possible to turn the aircraft carrier that quickly. The Dodgers have contracts that were considered unmovable when they acquired them and have added to that by paying above market rates for some questionable talent.

Maybe they'll change their philosophy and their payroll will start trending down but I don't see any major relief coming for 2-3 years. They also have to prove they have the discipline to wait for talent to develop and not overpay for the free agent du jour. The Yankees have been talking this game for years without any significant changes. We'll see how the Dodgers fare.

Doesn't Friedman to the Dodgers seem like a waste? His specialty is creating great things on a not-so-great budget.

Friedman has been rumored everywhere now. It could happen (he doesn't have a contract) but he is really loyal to ownership and LA doesn't seem like his style.

I'd be surprised.

Friedman has been rumored everywhere now. It could happen (he doesn't have a contract) but he is really loyal to ownership and LA doesn't seem like his style.

I'd be surprised.
:moneybag: I won't
Lol You think they are the first team to offer him money? A rumor was two years ago the Astros offered him a piece of ownership.
We're talking about an organization that gave Brandon League $22.5M :shrug:

I'd be surprised.
:moneybag: I won't
Lol You think they are the first team to offer him money? A rumor was two years ago the Astros offered him a piece of ownership.
We're talking about an organization that gave Brandon League $22.5M :shrug:
Fair point.

Good Posting Judge said:

I don't think it's possible to turn the aircraft carrier that quickly. The Dodgers have contracts that were considered unmovable when they acquired them and have added to that by paying above market rates for some questionable talent.

Maybe they'll change their philosophy and their payroll will start trending down but I don't see any major relief coming for 2-3 years. They also have to prove they have the discipline to wait for talent to develop and not overpay for the free agent du jour. The Yankees have been talking this game for years without any significant changes. We'll see how the Dodgers fare.
If they're serious about slashing payroll, I think it's going to come down to playing Pederson and Guerrero next year. The latter's already making decent coin and he crushed at AAA, no sense bringing Hanley Ramirez back. A smart guy like Friedman wouldn't blink letting him walk IMO.

The most logical thing to do is to eat some money on Crawford and Ethier. If they can get away paying half of their remaining salaries for the next three years, I think that's a win. I can see some team going 3/27 for Ethier, or 3/32 for Crawford, especially the latter, given that he's got some defensive ability left.

An infield of Ellis, Gonzalez, Guerrero, Gordon, Uribe, and an outfield of Pederson, Kemp, and Puig (Van Slyke as backup) is probably enough to carry the West again next year, if not get a wild card. A rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Haren, and Ryu can probably let you get away with going cheap on a #5 SP. The pen is obviously going to need a complete re-tooling outside of Jansen and a guy like Paco Rodriguez, but that's much easier for a GM who isn't obsessed on throwing tons of money at former "closers."

It's going to be tough if they're serious about 180-190, but LA's farm system is also loaded with hitting. I still think they're in much better shape than, say, the Angels. Or even the Yankees.

Doesn't Friedman to the Dodgers seem like a waste? His specialty is creating great things on a not-so-great budget.
I think that his specialty is recognizing value and measuring Assets appropriately. I do not think that he is limited to just low-budget moves.

I'm not that familiar with the Dodgers GM situation, and I know there is plenty of Dodger hate - but I'm not sure there is all that much wrong with LAD.

They've won their division the past two years.

Yeah, they bowed out quickly, but in a best of 5 series, that's not all that indicative as a team as a whole, rather who gets hot quickly. Matt Carpenter was on fire, and Kershaw was not terrific. Puig was Rob Deeresque

They have some bad contracts sure, but I don't see a need to blow it up just yet.

Locked in long term - Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu are a good 1-2-3 for the rotation. Kemp, Crawford and Ethier are tough, but if they can get rid of one, Puig is signed for very manageable money. I dunno, looks like the spring board to another competitive year, although I'm always biased in that I love pitching :shrug:

I hate the Dodgers but agree that they're not in a bad position at all. It's a much better destination for an up and coming GM than 99% of the jobs available. There's talent on the field and in the organization and of course there's loads of money to spend. They have some short term problems to deal with but they're generally problems of excess except for the bullpen.

I'd rather have Ethier and Crawford in LF than Travis Ishikawa.

About the perfect situation for Friedman to go to if he was going to leave TB. There biggest hole is the bullpen and he's been really good at piecing together bullpens in Tampa.

Doctor Detroit said:
Of the four teams remaining, which squad has the best manager? Has to be Baltimore, no?
I think it's St Louis but I'd take any of them but Yost.
I like Bochy the best of the 4, but it's close.

But, yeah, Yost is clearly 4th. Argument could be made for any of the other 3.

Doctor Detroit said:
Of the four teams remaining, which squad has the best manager? Has to be Baltimore, no?

Yost is the worst manager. The Royals are clearly the worst team. Yet here they are, 8 innings away from the WS. And still haven't lost a game.

:rant:

Doctor Detroit said:

Yost is the worst manager. The Royals are clearly the worst team. Yet here they are, 8 innings away from the WS. And still haven't lost a game.

I don't think the bolded is true. Lots of talent on that team.

rodg12 said:
whoknew said:

I don't think the bolded is true. Lots of talent on that team.
No. There's really not.

Users who are viewing this thread