What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (2 Viewers)

The best part of Harbaugh going to Michigan is that if he gets them better we could see more sad Urban!

Bama FSU. The allure of a 30-game win streak and FSU consistently draws higher ratings than Oregon.

You're way off on Oregon Gump.
I know the PAC ratings usually stink, but I think the driver is timing. FSU has everything a huge program needs...great mascot, war chant, logo, history...but they're fan base is relatively small compared to the others. Too much competition in the region. Jameis and Defending Champs will draw viewers, but so would the Heisman winner.
Their fan base certainly isn't smaller compared to Oregon. Nobody on the east coast cares about Oregon. The years of ratings speak for this.
I may be wrong but I heard the highest bcs championship rating of all time was Oregon versus Auburn. Oregon versus Alabama is the match up everyone wants to see.

Oops. Not sure where I heard that. Oregon versus Auburn was exactly the same tv rating as Florida State versus Auburn last year. Tied for 9th best ever. Texas versus USC was the highest ever.

Bama FSU. The allure of a 30-game win streak and FSU consistently draws higher ratings than Oregon.

I know the PAC ratings usually stink, but I think the driver is timing. FSU has everything a huge program needs...great mascot, war chant, logo, history...but they're fan base is relatively small compared to the others. Too much competition in the region. Jameis and Defending Champs will draw viewers, but so would the Heisman winner.
Their fan base certainly isn't smaller compared to Oregon. Nobody on the east coast cares about Oregon. The years of ratings speak for this.
Look at it this way...who is FSU going to draw that Bama isn't already drawing? Oregon can bring incremental eyeballs.
The casual viewers who want to see Winston and evil FSU lose.

What casual viewer would turn in to see Oregon? Some random mom isn't going to say "I need to see those guys in weird unis" but she will want to see the bad guy rapist finally lose.

It's really a no-brainer as far as I can tell.

Their fan base certainly isn't smaller compared to Oregon.Nobody on the east coast cares about Oregon. The years of ratings speak for this.
Look at it this way...who is FSU going to draw that Bama isn't already drawing? Oregon can bring incremental eyeballs.
The casual viewers who want to see Winston and evil FSU lose.

What casual viewer would turn in to see Oregon? Some random mom isn't going to say "I need to see those guys in weird unis" but she will want to see the bad guy rapist finally lose.

Some random mom isn't tuning in regardless of the matchup.

Their fan base certainly isn't smaller compared to Oregon.Nobody on the east coast cares about Oregon. The years of ratings speak for this.
The casual viewers who want to see Winston and evil FSU lose.What casual viewer would turn in to see Oregon? Some random mom isn't going to say "I need to see those guys in weird unis" but she will want to see the bad guy rapist finally lose.

Some random mom isn't tuning in regardless of the matchup.
My mom does when the today show talks about it. :shrug:

The casual viewers who want to see Winston and evil FSU lose. What casual viewer would turn in to see Oregon? Some random mom isn't going to say "I need to see those guys in weird unis" but she will want to see the bad guy rapist finally lose.

A random mom west of Texas. Or more importantly, an 18-45 yr old male west of Texas.

I agree it's probably not a big difference either way...ratings will be gigantic...set up perfectly.

Of the four eligible match ups, which do you think would be the highest rated?

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Bama-Oregon...it's the matchup everyone has wanted to see, with 2 polar opposite schemes, neuveau riche vs old school, SEC v P12, East Coast v West Coast. It'll bring in more casual fans.
I'm not sure about that....we've seen this kind of matchup several times with Oregon and it's never ended well for them. I have zero reason to believe this time would be any different :shrug:

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Bama-Oregon...it's the matchup everyone has wanted to see, with 2 polar opposite schemes, neuveau riche vs old school, SEC v P12, East Coast v West Coast. It'll bring in more casual fans.
I'm not sure about that....we've seen this kind of matchup several times with Oregon and it's never ended well for them. I have zero reason to believe this time would be any different :shrug:
Several? Oregon should have beat Auburn 4 years ago if not for terrible officiating. Even so, a last second field goal is how they lost. Much closer than any SEC team that year.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Several? Oregon should have beat Auburn 4 years ago if not for terrible officiating. Even so, a last second field goal is how they lost. Much closer than any SEC team that year.
I can think of at least three in LSU, Auburn and OSU. And I think a pretty average Wisconsin team who was only there because of NCAA penalties almost beat them, right? Then there are the losses to Stanford and USC who have the same style of play, so yeah...several.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest problem with drawing more people is the timing. There hasn't been a meaningful game in a month. All the momentum of the season gets lost by the time any important bowl game gets played. Atleast the semis are on a holiday, but then they're waiting 11 days to play the finals on a Monday night. If the season were less disjointed I don't think an 11 day gap would matter, but as it stands I don't think they'll be getting many casual viewers.
It's football. On a Monday. With something on the line. Mike and Molly is probably on hiatus. Causual footbaw fans will watch and bet.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Not sure you could make a less accurate reflection of the 2010 season if you tried.

Oregon needed a late touchdown AND two point conversion to tie it. Then Auburn easily maneuvered downfield and got into field goal range in 2 plays. That "last second field goal" was essentially an extra point, as they calmly ran down the clock from the Oregon 1 yard line. There was about a 1-minute window in the 4th quarter where it actually seemed like Oregon had a legitimate shot, and at no point did it seem like they had the game in control.

Meanwhile, earlier in the year...

Auburn beat the mighty Mississippi State by 3, when an MSU WR dropped a pass that would have landed them in field goal range (and a chance to go for the win with a touchdown) in the final minute of the game.

Auburn trailed Clemson 17-0, and ended up winning in overtime when a Clemson FG was taken off the board via a procedure penalty.

Auburn trailed South Carolina in the 4th quarter, but rallied and took the lead. The game ended on a Connor Shaw interception in the endzone with 18 seconds left.

Auburn was tied with Kentucky in the 3rd quarter, and defeated the Wildcats in similar fashion to Oregon, on a FG as time expired. It was longer than the kick against Oregon, and in a game that was much closer throughout the second half than Oregon was to Auburn.

Auburn was tied with LSU with 5 minutes left, before Onterrio McCalebb broke off a 70 yard TD run for the go-ahead score that held up.

Auburn trailed Alabama 24-0 before rallying to win 28-27 in a game that involved the biggest lead Alabama has blown in their history.

Regardless, the Oregon game probably falls somewhere in the middle of these games of "closest to lose" for Auburn that year, if not towards the bottom.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Not sure you could make a less accurate reflection of the 2010 season if you tried.

Oregon needed a late touchdown AND two point conversion to tie it. Then Auburn easily maneuvered downfield and got into field goal range in 2 plays. That "last second field goal" was essentially an extra point, as they calmly ran down the clock from the Oregon 1 yard line. There was about a 1-minute window in the 4th quarter where it actually seemed like Oregon had a legitimate shot, and at no point did it seem like they had the game in control.

Meanwhile, earlier in the year...

Auburn beat the mighty Mississippi State by 3, when an MSU WR dropped a pass that would have landed them in field goal range (and a chance to go for the win with a touchdown) in the final minute of the game.

Auburn trailed Clemson 17-0, and ended up winning in overtime when a Clemson FG was taken off the board via a procedure penalty.

Auburn trailed South Carolina in the 4th quarter, but rallied and took the lead. The game ended on a Connor Shaw interception in the endzone with 18 seconds left.

Auburn was tied with Kentucky in the 3rd quarter, and defeated the Wildcats in similar fashion to Oregon, on a FG as time expired. It was longer than the kick against Oregon, and in a game that was much closer throughout the second half than Oregon was to Auburn.

Auburn was tied with LSU with 5 minutes left, before Onterrio McCalebb broke off a 70 yard TD run for the go-ahead score that held up.

Auburn trailed Alabama 24-0 before rallying to win 28-27 in a game that involved the biggest lead Alabama has blown in their history.

Regardless, the Oregon game probably falls somewhere in the middle of these games of "closest to lose" for Auburn that year, if not towards the bottom.
If the officials correctly call the Newton fumble in the first quarter Oregon foes up 7 to zero. If they call Dyer down, who knows if they get in field goal range. Auburn got all the breaks just like they had all year.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
I can think of at least three in LSU, Auburn and OSU. And I think a pretty average Wisconsin team who was only there because of NCAA penalties almost beat them, right? Then there are the losses to Stanford and USC who have the same style of play, so yeah...several.
Pretty average Wisconsin team huh. Yeah Russell Wilson is pretty average. You failed to mention Michigan State, wonder why? All the teams you mentioned are good teams. No shame in losing to them. Oregon has the most wins in college football this decade. All that is missing is a National Championship. I'm happy they get another chance this year.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Pretty average Wisconsin team huh. Yeah Russell Wilson is pretty average. You failed to mention Michigan State, wonder why? All the teams you mentioned are good teams. No shame in losing to them. Oregon has the most wins in college football this decade. All that is missing is a National Championship. I'm happy they get another chance this year.
Well, first one guy is not analogous with an entire team, so I don't know why you are mentioning individuals. My comment was with regard to the team. They beat them, so I'm not even sure why you'd bring them up :shrug: I didn't bring up MSU because it wasn't an end of season game where guys are in football shape. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned LSU to stay consistent. I don't think there's any question MSU ran out of gas in that game after dominating it through 2.5 quarters. Congrats, the gimmick worked??

And no one is "shaming" anyone. Simply pointing out that Oregon typically struggles with teams built on physicality. That's how Alabama's built.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Well, first one guy is not analogous with an entire team, so I don't know why you are mentioning individuals. My comment was with regard to the team. They beat them, so I'm not even sure why you'd bring them up :shrug: I didn't bring up MSU because it wasn't an end of season game where guys are in football shape. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned LSU to stay consistent. I don't think there's any question MSU ran out of gas in that game after dominating it through 2.5 quarters. Congrats, the gimmick worked?? And no one is "shaming" anyone. Simply pointing out that Oregon typically struggles with teams built on physicality. That's how Alabama's built.
Oregon handled Michigan State, Stanford, and Utah this year who are all physical teams. They have beefed up their lines so that isn't an issue anymore. Michigan State had a great second quarter but were dominated the other three quarters. Bottom line is all 4 playoff teams deserve to be there. I expect to see Oregon versus Alabama in the championship and I think it will be a great game

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Well, first one guy is not analogous with an entire team, so I don't know why you are mentioning individuals. My comment was with regard to the team. They beat them, so I'm not even sure why you'd bring them up :shrug: I didn't bring up MSU because it wasn't an end of season game where guys are in football shape. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned LSU to stay consistent. I don't think there's any question MSU ran out of gas in that game after dominating it through 2.5 quarters. Congrats, the gimmick worked?? And no one is "shaming" anyone. Simply pointing out that Oregon typically struggles with teams built on physicality. That's how Alabama's built.
Oh come on. Oregon has put that to rest this season. They have beaten up every "physical" team they've played this year. Not just out scored them in a big way, but Oregon physically dominated all of them, MSU, Stanford, & Utah.

I may be wrong but I heard the highest bcs championship rating of all time was Oregon versus Auburn. Oregon versus Alabama is the match up everyone wants to see.
I stumbled on this article looking for info on wild card scheduling: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/04/22/Media/NFL.aspx

Last season's least-viewed NFL Wild Card game averaged 27.6 million viewers (NBC's Chiefs-Colts on Saturday afternoon). That would be the most-viewed program in cable TV history, topping the '11 BCS Championship (Auburn-Oregon), which averaged 27.316 million viewers.
This may have been what you remembered.

Bama-Oregon

Bama-FSU

Oregon-OSU

FSU-OSU
Well, first one guy is not analogous with an entire team, so I don't know why you are mentioning individuals. My comment was with regard to the team. They beat them, so I'm not even sure why you'd bring them up :shrug: I didn't bring up MSU because it wasn't an end of season game where guys are in football shape. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned LSU to stay consistent. I don't think there's any question MSU ran out of gas in that game after dominating it through 2.5 quarters. Congrats, the gimmick worked??

And no one is "shaming" anyone. Simply pointing out that Oregon typically struggles with teams built on physicality. That's how Alabama's built.
This isn't 2011. FSU gets spanked.

shameless plug, but I'm trying to fill a spots in a $10.00 fan duel for 18 bowl games starting tomorrow... 7 spots open, 13 total donks in there.. pm for the link

Kudos to Michigan for going all in on their guy. You guys whiffed twice in a row on hires, but without a president behind athletics or a full time AD you just made a home run hire. Good on you. Frankly, I'm jealous #DisgruntledIrish

Resistance is off the charts. My favorite comment of all the Schadenfreude so far:

Harbaugh is not even as decorated or as respected of a collegiate coach as Rich Rod and we witnessed first hand how that turned out.

My grandfather is almost 90. He was born in and worked in Ann Arbor for 30+ years as a firefighter and emergency on the sidelines at UM games after the War. Was on the field for all the practices, the AD and coaches knew him by first name etc....true Michigan man.

He HATES Jim Harbaugh. He loves telling the story about how much of an arrogant putz he was and how horribly he treated people back when his dad was an asst coach there. Said John was totally different as was Jack.

He might be the only unhappy Michigan fan today. Different generation and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although as he's gotten older he has to ask me "is that the Harbaugh I don't like" when we would watch NFL games. Maybe I should just lie to him.

Users who are viewing this thread