What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

PR is about to take one in the teeth. Guy I work with has family there, they're getting ready.

Side note: my work had a meeting yesterday, during which, we learned via our owner that some of our roll shutters for a customer in St. Thomas stood up to Irma's full strength(185 mph sustained, 225 mph gusts) with only minor damage. 2 of them can open but must be pulled down manually, and a third was impaled by something, but survived. 

This webcam is located on top of the Hotel Caravelle, overlooking the Christiansted harbor.
It gives you a great view of the boardwalk, as well as Hotel on the Cay in the background.

It also gives you a great view of the ####### APOCALYPSE.

Maria - currently 909 mb with 175 mph winds... Strong, but not very large.  The eye is only about 10 mi across.

TWC guy still upright reporting from San Juan
For now. Made landfall as a Cat 4 in SE corner of island moving diagonally (NW). San Juan could get worst of it in a couple hours. Terrain could weaken storm some but with saturated ground, the results could be ugly.

For now. Made landfall as a Cat 4 in SE corner of island moving diagonally (NW). San Juan could get worst of it in a couple hours. Terrain could weaken storm some but with saturated ground, the results could be ugly.
Yeah.  Hoping for the best here, but it's not looking good.  

Amazed the boats are all still in good shape in Christiansted harbor. Webcam shows little to no damage. 

:relief:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jose dissipated faster than expected. Models now have a near miss for north carolina. Would expect noon runs to potentially have a NC landfall. 

Eye of Maria just touched the southwest tip of St. Croix. Just spoke with my dad in St. Croix. He says AT&T has been only cell service since Irma went through. Surprised it was still up and active. Roof came off the building next to his on the waterfront. Fairly concerned about neighbors, but he's fine. Only damage to his condo is water on his floor and screen door blown away. Windows all intact.

His condo was built after Hugo back in 1989. Says building codes changed major after that. Surprised to see roof come off building, but many telephone and power poles and lines are down in his area. He hasn't gotten out too far from his condo yet, but plans to walk across town and check out damage and look to help others if needed. Rain coming down hard still. Way more than they got with Irma. 

Eye of Maria just touched the southwest tip of St. Croix. Just spoke with my dad in St. Croix. He says AT&T has been only cell service since Irma went through. Surprised it was still up and active. Roof came off the building next to his on the waterfront. Fairly concerned about neighbors, but he's fine. Only damage to his condo is water on his floor and screen door blown away. Windows all intact.

His condo was built after Hugo back in 1989. Says building codes changed major after that. Surprised to see roof come off building, but many telephone and power poles and lines are down in his area. He hasn't gotten out too far from his condo yet, but plans to walk across town and check out damage and look to help others if needed. Rain coming down hard still. Way more than they got with Irma. 
Hope all goes well...these storms are strange.  I've seen a perfectly fine house on a street where 10 others are destroyed.  Hope you dad fares well :thumbup:  

Hope all goes well...these storms are strange.  I've seen a perfectly fine house on a street where 10 others are destroyed.  Hope you dad fares well :thumbup:  
Update: He called me back to let me know he got lucky. Walking around he says damage is severe. Trees and poles down everywhere. The roof that came off landed on his truck and totaled it. Says its a lost cause. Luckily he was thinking about replacing it. Its old with high miles. Says chunks of roof that came off are everywhere and did heavy damage down the street. 

Hoping the fact they are on the Western part of the island limits something.   Doubtful
I can't imagine this is anything but a refugee situation for months.  If the main population center has no power, will have to displace them. Somewhere.  

Or the expected 25 inches of rain on already flooded ground plus all the debris.
If it was just from rain, I wouldn't expect the line in the graph to be nearly vertical. (Or maybe it's only recording every 3 hours.)

Even with soaking downpours, it's rare to get a rainfall that is over 2 or 3 inches per hour. That gauge says the river rose 1300% in 3 or 4 hours.

Any chance we make them a state to help with the cleanup?  Serious question.
If you're talking federal aid for PR, no need to change their status. U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, etc. get the same disaster aid as any state does.

If it was just from rain, I wouldn't expect the line in the graph to be nearly vertical. (Or maybe it's only recording every 3 hours.)

Even with soaking downpours, it's rare to get a rainfall that is over 2 or 3 inches per hour. That gauge says the river rose 1300% in 3 or 4 hours.
Sure, but it's runoff from all sides, I'd imagine - plus trucks, chunks of houses, light poles, etc.

If you're talking federal aid for PR, no need to change their status. U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, etc. get the same disaster aid as any state does.
Yup.  And Maria assessment/aid in PR is already happening.

Friend of a friend has been trying to become an electrician for a year. Bunch of delays waiting for the union apprenticeship program to get green lit for the next round. Now they're looking at TX, FL, and PR and suddenly the program is not only open, but, they're looking for applicants that can leave the country immediately for 6 month assignments... 
Who says global warming isnt a job creator?

Users who are viewing this thread