What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (1 Viewer)

Redskins claim Reuben Foster off waivers.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/121321-nfl-team-claims-ex-49ers-reuben-foster-per-report/

In a bit of a shocker, the Washington Redskins have claimed former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster off of waivers, according to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN. The claiming team was initially identified as the Cleveland Browns but then corrected by Schefter to Washington.

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

Former 49ers' LB Reuben Foster was claimed by the Washington Redskins, per source.

Now the question becomes whether or when the league will suspend him.

5:05 PM - Nov 27, 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins claim Reuben Foster off waivers.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/121321-nfl-team-claims-ex-49ers-reuben-foster-per-report/

In a bit of a shocker, the Washington Redskins have claimed former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster off of waivers, according to a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN. The claiming team was initially identified as the Cleveland Browns but then corrected by Schefter to Washington.

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

Former 49ers' LB Reuben Foster was claimed by the Washington Redskins, per source.

Now the question becomes whether or when the league will suspend him.

5:05 PM - Nov 27, 2018
Hey look, a free #1 draft pick!  

Jimmy Ward to IR with a broken forearm.   Color me shocked.

Well, that should end the Jimmy Ward saga in SF unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut next year.  Doubt he will do that in SF.

Free agents go to franchises that give them the best chance to win. Or in the case of Jimmy the Face, a chance to be a franchise quarterback. But the cost of living doesn't seem to be a factor in just an expensive area like NY. "I didn't want to sign with the Yankees because NY is too expensive" is something that you never hear. 

Have to disagree here.  

Its not like players just fly in for the games on Sunday. It’s basically a 6 month a year commitment to spend your life in the city you play in. If they have a family, kind of hard to be away from them most of that time, so you will either be separated or live in that city for 6 months. Also, being on the west coast isn’t for everyone. A player who grew up in the Midwest is less likely to move to the Bay Area than find somewhere closer to home unless he is compensated (overpaid).  

Cost of living does play into it, especially for football players, who have shorter career expectations and especially for players that aren’t pulling in the huge contracts like Garoppolo is. Think Garçon and McKinnon sign in SF in they don’t overpay?  

49er fans complain when the team doesn’t sign free agents and then complain when they do sign them but they overpay, but it’s not going to change. It also doesn’t help that they’re losing and players have to bye into a rebuild when they sign, but location is a huge factor  
I think you are majorly oversimplifying this issue and on the balance people go where they feel.  Sure money is probably a small consideration for some but for others things like weather, lifestyle, over structure of the team are huge factors as well...you think if the 49ers were a superbowl bound team with the best oline in the league most rb's wouldn't be begging to play here?  

Free agents go to franchises that give them the best chance to win. Or in the case of Jimmy the Face, a chance to be a franchise quarterback. But the cost of living doesn't seem to be a factor in just an expensive area like NY. "I didn't want to sign with the Yankees because NY is too expensive" is something that you never hear. 
You beat me too it...it's a ridiculous argument really

You beat me too it...it's a ridiculous argument really
It's the fallback position over the question of "Why your team sucks" for 49er fans. The reason why your team sucks is because they have been wholly mismanaged for the past five years. They still haven't shown that they have fixed that either. 

I think you are majorly oversimplifying this issue and on the balance people go where they feel.  Sure money is probably a small consideration for some but for others things like weather, lifestyle, over structure of the team are huge factors as well...you think if the 49ers were a superbowl bound team with the best oline in the league most rb's wouldn't be begging to play here?  
Money is a "small" consideration for some?  Talk about oversimplifying.  Maybe in baseball or basketball where the money is greater and careers are longer.

For football players with shorter careers, money and cost of living factor in big time.  It's not that FA's won't go to SF, but they are going to have to pay more to attract them.  

True, weather and lifestyle play into it, but a lot of people either don't like the SF lifestyle or perceive it negatively.  Also, the weather isn't that great compared to Southern California, and SF doesn't have the glitter that LA and NY have.

Money is a "small" consideration for some?  Talk about oversimplifying.  Maybe in baseball or basketball where the money is greater and careers are longer.

For football players with shorter careers, money and cost of living factor in big time.  It's not that FA's won't go to SF, but they are going to have to pay more to attract them.  

True, weather and lifestyle play into it, but a lot of people either don't like the SF lifestyle or perceive it negatively.  Also, the weather isn't that great compared to Southern California, and SF doesn't have the glitter that LA and NY have.
The 49ers reside in the effin" SOUTH BAY. Not in SF. The weather in Silicon Valley can get so balmy that fans can get heatstroke watching games in that dumb stadium they call Levi's. 

Also, Silicon Valley tech firms seem to have no problems recruiting talent for a lot less than a football team would pay a free agent. 

ETA: the lack of talent the 49ers have had has been at the executive level, and maybe thus why the lack of talent at the free agent level, as well as the overall team itself. 

Have to disagree here.  

Its not like players just fly in for the games on Sunday. It’s basically a 6 month a year commitment to spend your life in the city you play in. If they have a family, kind of hard to be away from them most of that time, so you will either be separated or live in that city for 6 months. Also, being on the west coast isn’t for everyone. A player who grew up in the Midwest is less likely to move to the Bay Area than find somewhere closer to home unless he is compensated (overpaid).  

Cost of living does play into it, especially for football players, who have shorter career expectations and especially for players that aren’t pulling in the huge contracts like Garoppolo is. Think Garçon and McKinnon sign in SF in they don’t overpay?  

49er fans complain when the team doesn’t sign free agents and then complain when they do sign them but they overpay, but it’s not going to change. It also doesn’t help that they’re losing and players have to bye into a rebuild when they sign, but location is a huge factor  
This “FAs don’t like the Bay Area” stuff is schtick, right?

This “FAs don’t like the Bay Area” stuff is schtick, right?
Well, I didn’t encompass all free agents but in response to the “lifestyle and weather” comment, I did point out that a lot of people aren’t attracted to the lifestyle and weather in the Bay Area, so to get them to sign, you have to offer more. That’s all. 

My original point is SF can’t count on attracting free agents unless they are willing to pay more than most other teams. FAs will come but the price will be higher. Overall, I think players are getting smarter about maximizing their incomes In he relatively short time they have to play and agents and advisors are pointing out things such as tax bases and cost of living. Players make a lot of money sure, but that doesn’t mean they ignore basic economics. Wouldn’t you look at 10 million a year in say Jacksonville differently than 10 million a year in the Bay Area?  I would and would probably say that if you want me to sign with you, I want 11 1/2 million.  

As I said earlier, 49er fans whine when they don’t go after certain free agents and then they whine if they pay too much. 

But the cost of living doesn't seem to be a factor in just an expensive area like NY. "I didn't want to sign with the Yankees because NY is too expensive" is something that you never hear. 
Comparing baseball to football?  

Stanton signs for 13 years, 325 million with 325 million guarenteed! 

Yeah, in that case, probably feeling pretty secure financially but don’t see any football players getting 10 plus years guaranteed. You can’t compare baseball (or the NBA) to football. Money is greater and careers are longer. Really bad analogy. 

Also, Silicon Valley tech firms seem to have no problems recruiting talent for a lot less than a football team would pay a free agent. 
 Well, it’s because they pay more for that talent to come to Silicon Valley and yes, football players make more money but the concept is the same.  

A lot of companies pay more to workers in high cost areas like the Bay Area than to somebody doing the same job in Sacramento. Very common in fact.  You want somebody making 200K working in the Sacramento office of your company to take his talents to San Francisco, they are going to get a hefty raise or they won’t go. 

So just to be clear you think the bay area would struggle over towns with terrible weather like chicago, green bay, detroit, minn etc...or just towns in terrible locations like tampa bay or anything in midwest?

There is no point debating it but personally i think the bay area is one of the nicest places in the country and most people I know would agree.  But most people I know also think texas is a he$$hole so to each there own...

Keep in mind the 49ers were filled with talent for 20 odd years so i guess those guys didn't care

So just to be clear you think the bay area would struggle over towns with terrible weather like chicago, green bay, detroit, minn etc...or just towns in terrible locations like tampa bay or anything in midwest?

There is no point debating it but personally i think the bay area is one of the nicest places in the country and most people I know would agree.  But most people I know also think texas is a he$$hole so to each there own...

Keep in mind the 49ers were filled with talent for 20 odd years so i guess those guys didn't care
I love the Bay Area and California in general.  Lived in Sacramento area most of my life and would never consider moving out of state. Can vacation at some of the worlds great destinations and drive there in 2 to 7 hours.  

But, both of my parents are from the Midwest and their bothers and sisters families stayed there. You couldn’t get them to move to California for anything. Same with people I know on the east coast. If someone grew up in Chicago Or Minnesota, they might think the Midwest is the greatest place in the world despite what we concider crappy weather. 

Like you said, to each his own. I just don’t think players who can choose their destinations, automatically gravitate to California for the fun and sun. If they do, Southern California would probably be more appealing due to the glitz factor.

And again, I didn’t say free agents wouldn’t come here, just that SF has to pay more. That will shift some of course if they become a contending team. 

Comparing baseball to football?  

Stanton signs for 13 years, 325 million with 325 million guarenteed! 

Yeah, in that case, probably feeling pretty secure financially but don’t see any football players getting 10 plus years guaranteed. You can’t compare baseball (or the NBA) to football. Money is greater and careers are longer. Really bad analogy. 
https://www.chasecenter.com/

Yeah, the Bay Area doesn't seem to attract any $$, do they? 

I like reading Niners Nation tweets during a blowout loss. They are so homerific that it seens they don’t look at the scoreboard when they tap those fingers on the keyboard. It’s Trump-like really. 

Wow, Packers fire Mike McCarthy. He got fired for losing to the Cardinals. Which Shanny Jr. did TWICE. 

Meanwhile, the 49ers are on their way to a FOURTH CONSECUTIVE DOUBLE DIGIT LOSS SEASON. 

This Seahawks/49er rivalry - which there never really was - just isn’t much after Jed ran off Harbaugh. It was more Harbaugh vs. Carroll, but now Carroll vs. Whoever at 49er HC just doesn’t carry a marquee. Russell Wilson had a day today too as far as efficiency. It’s just too easy to beat the 49ers. 

Arizona did it twice. 

It’s even worse when your team is at the bottom of the division UNDER THE ARIZONA CARDINALS. 

Keep the faith faithful! 

Rolling Mullens out there at starting quarterback means at least they are seriously tanking the season. Which with Beatenhard would mean the same thing. But Mullens gives them a better chance to get blown out. Pick sixes! JUST LOSE BABY! 

Nothing suprising today. When the majority of players on the field are backups and 3rd stringers, you can't expect much. Number one pick, here we come!

I'm taking Denver in my survivor pool next week...the 49ers better not decide to pull an upset, the winning payout is $660 and I'm 4 correct picks away from at least getting a chunk of it.

Under Shanny Jr, the 49ers so far have won one division game against division opponents, and that game was against the Rams scrubs in a game where the Rams pulled their starters. 

Hard for anyone to ignore that.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ETA: I like when someone has to pull out the imgur to try to pwn, then pull that post because it's against board rules. 

I'm cracking nuts here I guess. 

Packers fire McCarthy. There's talk locally of Dirk Koetter possibly going to GB after this season....I wonder if Tampa makes a run at McCarthy after they fire Dirk. I doubt it, the Glazers are known to have shallow pockets when it comes to spending on coaches.

Shanny Jr record so far: 8-20

He has a good shot at beating the Rams again, being that they will probably pull the starters again like last season. So that could make him 9-23. 

PROGRESS

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/02/2019-nfl-draft-order-49ers-raiders-only-2-win-teams-left/

It’s hard to continue looking ahead to the draft, but injuries have put the 49ers in this position. This iteration of the 49ers with a host of backups and third-string players in the lineup was never going to contend for a playoff spot. Winning is nice, but losing sets the 49ers up better for the future.
This guy see the W/L record of the past 4 seasons? Losing doesn't seem to help this franchise. Losing is what this franchise does. 

When the 49ers were a winning franchise, they battled for the best FA possible. Then the salary cap happened, but they still attracted top tier talent, and the real estate prices were just as exhorbiant then compared to the rest of the markets. The 49ers haven't had a GM worth squat for ages, even when Policy was there with Vinnie Cerrato and Dwight Clark with him, but then the 49er brand had some cache. Now with Jed, it doesn't. It's that simple. When most of his talent bailed after he fired Harbaugh, that kind of said something throughout the league. They have an incompetent owner whose franchise has become a mess. Until they start winning instead of double digit loss seasons like the current one, it's gonna be a struggle to gain FA

Stop trolling. I assume you're smart enough to know exactly what you're doing. Please drop this now. 
I'm keeping my posts 49er related. The posts are based on stats that are the official record. It's pure football related. My posts have the links to the references and articles here. 

@AdamSchefter  1hr ago

Coaches who led teams to Super-Bowl titles, only to be fired by them later: Hank Steam, Don McCafferty, Tom Landry, Mike Ditka, George Seifert, Mike Shanahan, Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, Mike Mccarthy. McCafferty and McCarthy are only in-season Super-Bowl winning HCs to he fired.

I never much cared for Seifert.

On a positive note, Dante Pettis has put together 2 nice games in a row. Hopefully he can keep it up and work his way into being a productive WR.

On a positive note, Dante Pettis has put together 2 nice games in a row. Hopefully he can keep it up and work his way into being a productive WR.
Kid can definitely run after the catch. Put on a nice move to score his first TD and then ran away from the defense on his 2nd. 

Looking up. 

Packers fire McCarthy. 
What took them so long?  

Winning a super bowl gives you a long leash but surprised it took this long. They really need to surround Rodgers with some receiving weapons other than Adams. Their passing offense is downright ugly considering who the QB is. 

I'm taking Denver in my survivor pool next week...the 49ers better not decide to pull an upset, the winning payout is $660 and I'm 4 correct picks away from at least getting a chunk of it.
Denver is really crappy on offense besides Lindsey, but they should feast defensively next week so you should move on.  

Lindsay is frigging good.  Pretty amazing he wasn’t drafted.  Guess teams were turned off by his size but with virtually all teams using some form of RBBC, I would think that concerns about work load would be diminished.  Same thing with Breida.  

Wow, Packers fire Mike McCarthy. He got fired for losing to the Cardinals. Which Shanny Jr. did TWICE. 

Meanwhile, the 49ers are on their way to a FOURTH CONSECUTIVE DOUBLE DIGIT LOSS SEASON. 

This Seahawks/49er rivalry - which there never really was - just isn’t much after Jed ran off Harbaugh. It was more Harbaugh vs. Carroll, but now Carroll vs. Whoever at 49er HC just doesn’t carry a marquee. Russell Wilson had a day today too as far as efficiency. It’s just too easy to beat the 49ers. 

Arizona did it twice. 

Rolling Mullens out there at starting quarterback means at least they are seriously tanking the season. Which with Beatenhard would mean the same thing. But Mullens gives them a better chance to get blown out. Pick sixes! JUST LOSE BABY! 
Man, this team is so pathetic, as well as most of the American fan base. This Seahawks defense is good but nowhere near as good as the '12-'16 Defense but people were trashing Harbaugh and especially Kaepernick for his inability to beat the Seahawks (although we all know why Kaepernick is really hated by football fans).

What a lot of people don't understand is that one of Harbaugh's greatest abilities as a head coach for the Niners was holding a quality coaching staff together. Players were constantly overachieving until his lame duck '14 season in which Jed was crapping on him over the media when they had a record of 7-5 and were still in the playoff hunt.  Apart from the RB position, Shanahan doesn't have a single personel group which has matched expectations. This is not only on the players, it's on his lame ### coaching staff, too, and I'm not talking about Saleh. It goes far beyond the playcalling which isn't half as bad as people make it out to be. It's about the position coaches if second year players regress. Harbaugh said that the biggest step an NFL player is supposed to make has to happen after his rookie season and the Niners have a whole bunch of players who are just flat out worse than last year (including Foster who is no longer with the team).

Next thing is that I'm totally serious when I claim that the offense has lost as many games as the defense this season. This is nowadays NFL where 300 yards passing is average and 27 allowed points is an average day for a defense. This is almost the same #### as pre-Harbaugh were the defense looked bad because the offense was so incapable. Now the defense can't catch a break because they do fail a lot of times but when they don't and make a play they can be sure that the offense won't capitalize.

This is a bad team. This team is as bad as the 2004 49ers. With Jimmy they might have won 7 games but the overall quality is just bottom 5 of the league.

Kid can definitely run after the catch. Put on a nice move to score his first TD and then ran away from the defense on his 2nd. 

Looking up. 
You forgot to mention his failure to get an easy 1st Down. Also, for a guy who scored 9 TDs on returns in college, he sure doesn't stand back there very often waiting for the kick...

Under Shanny Jr, the 49ers so far have won one division game against division opponents, and that game was against the Rams scrubs in a game where the Rams pulled their starters. 

Hard for anyone to ignore that.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ETA: I like when someone has to pull out the imgur to try to pwn, then pull that post because it's against board rules. 

I'm cracking nuts here I guess. 
That's gotta be some kind of negative record...

Oh look, drummer has an alias. And even quoting himself, how pathetic.

So the Niners and Raiders are currently 1 - 2 in draft order. Let's see if Gruden can out tank us :lmao:

Oh look, drummer has an alias. And even quoting himself, how pathetic.

So the Niners and Raiders are currently 1 - 2 in draft order. Let's see if Gruden can out tank us :lmao:
We already know Drummer is sad and pathetic.  I wonder how many aliases he has at Niner Nation?  Still upset he isn't allowed to write for them.

What I find really amazing is that a guy who has stated many times that he is no longer a fan takes as much time as he does to post in a 49er thread.  You would think that he would have much better things to do with his time.

Of course, when things were looking up from the end of last season, through the off season and even until Garoppolo got hurt, Drummer was nowhere to be found.  As a wise man stated at that time, "No doom. no gloom, no Drummer".  As soon as Jimmy goes down and the season is doomed, who shows up?  

Guy seriously needs a girlfriend....................

Apart from the fact that I'm not drummer I'd like to point out that maybe you should attack the arguments...

drummer said:

Arizona did it twice. 
Shanny and Lynch just have not delivered so far. Next year is a do or die season. Where "do" means competing for the playoffs. But since the 9ers medical and conditioning staff seems to consist of Stanford  failures, they will probably have another injury riddled season and a lot of excuses why they missed the playoffs again as a result.

Apart from the fact that I'm not drummer
Really? Thats funny, you had less than 20 posts before today, post the same crap drummer does almost verbatim and only show up when hes banned. And only drummer has ever used the term "maratheball" in here or even mentions Marathe and Garcia regularly. Id say nice try, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Heres a few of your past posts. We all know youre the trolling percussionist.

November 9th 2018: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/764810-official-2018-san-francisco-49ers-thread-in-the-driver-seat-for-the-1-overall-pick-let-the-tanking-continue/?page=15&tab=comments#comment-21498039

Mullens really reminds me alot of Shaun Hill, and Beathard is actually a lot like Rattay (360 degree blindside). And I guess that's also the most likely career outcomes for them. Garcia was a special case with his superior mobility and he had TO. Mullens doesn't have Garcia's legs and he has Kittle instead of Owens. Mullens' 10-yard sideline passes are sailing, so please just stop. Just stop going anywhere beyond Jeff Garcia.

-----------------------------------------------

Nov 26th 2018 (as drummer, forgetting he posted about Hill with his alias): https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/764810-official-2018-san-francisco-49ers-thread-in-the-driver-seat-for-the-1-overall-pick-let-the-tanking-continue/?page=15&tab=comments#comment-21536279

I might had been generous with the Shaun Hill comparison. Hill ran a Mike Martz offense. So did JT O'Sullivan, but still.

Looks like the 49ers are mired once again into another bad season of horrific football, their fourth consecutive one. Remember when 8-8 was unacceptable? Yeah, it was Harbaugh's last season there! Jed ran him off because that wasn't the expectation. Jed would love for The Rat's son to wind up 8-8 to prove he could at least match Harbaugh's worst season. Now it's just a matter of who Jed fires first: Lynch, or Rat Jr.

-------------------------------------------------

March 15th, 2017: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753967-official-2017-sf-49ers-thread-see-original-post-or-latest-post-for-link-to-new-2018-thread/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-19962401

It took an ego as big as Harbaugh's to shield the team from Maratheball and my hope for the team is that Lynch is the type of guy who can do that, as well. Because as long as Marathe and Jed are doing anything apart from setting up contracts, this franchise will remain a ####show.

----------------------------------------------------

May 17, 2017: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753967-official-2017-sf-49ers-thread-see-original-post-or-latest-post-for-link-to-new-2018-thread/?page=7&tab=comments#comment-20125811

The 49ers of '04 were a better team than the one from last year and I've always felt like the 0-16 Lions would've wiped the floor with that joke of a football team. Until they field a winner there is absolutely no reason to be optimistic for this franchise as long as Jed and Marathe are involved. Actually it's a very real possibility that being too successful would eventually be Lynch's/Shanahan's undoing.

I hope the Mods see this and realize that youre circumventing the ban hammer.

EDIT: Youre also on ignore now, so keep typing responses into the abyss where Ill never see them :lmao:

What are people's opinion on Jeff Wilson? Is he the RB to have RoS?
Depends on how bad Breida is hurt.  Problem is, Breida is tough as nails and wants to play, so if they roll him out there, tough to start Wilson.  Chances are Breida has an in game injury but if by chance, he bucks the odds and doesn't,  Wilson won't do much.

But yes, if he gets a start or 2 during the FF playoffs, he would be a nice flex, especially in larger leagues.  Lot of dump offs and garbage time points.  Definitely has some talent.

Users who are viewing this thread