What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs thread: Caps and Mystics to raise banners together in October. Congrats DC!!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

@Getzlaf15 Flyers in the ECF?? :eek:   As a Flyer fan what are you seeing that I’m not? Hope you’re right but I don’t see them getting past Pittsburgh. 
Every year there are 2-3 upsets in the first round.  The Penguins have given up more goals that ANY team in the playoffs. The Flyers have a solid chance here. The games should all be high scoring.

I think Gost, Provorov, Konecny and Patrick all step up.

Like last year, this a year where no one really stands out as a dominant team. BOS/TB/NASH/WINN stand out to me, but they each have some issues and  WINN/NASH and TB/BOS would play each other Round 2.   This thing is so wide open this year.

It’s so stupid the two best teams in each conference would meet in round 2. Why is the nhl so dumb? It seems so basic. 

1. Get rid of the offsides rule.

2. Make the playoffs smart, not dumb. 

3. Figure out goalie interference. Like, was the guy interfered with? Ok no goal. He wasn’t? Great, that’s a goal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait to get excited for a Kucherov goal tomorrow night just to wait 18 minutes for some dip#### in Toronto to determine Miller’s left skate was a quarter of an inch offsides on the other side of the ice. 

LET’S MAKE THE PLAYOFFS LESS EXCITING GUYS - the nhl, apparently. 

It’s so stupid the two best teams in each conference would meet in round 2. Why is the nhl so dumb? It seems so basic. 

1. Get rid of the offsides rule.
That would fundamentally change the game in ways a lot of people wouldn't like at all, espcially those looking to make it more exciting.  

Or are you talking about review?  

Every year there are 2-3 upsets in the first round.  The Penguins have given up more goals that ANY team in the playoffs. The Flyers have a solid chance here. The games should all be high scoring.

Like last year, this a year where no one really stands out as a dominant team. BOS/TB/NASH/WINN stand out to me, but they each have some issues and  WINN/NASH and TB/BOS would play each other Round 2.   This thing is so wide open this year.
Still think the Flyers are tad bit too young and inexperienced, plus I don't think they can quite match the Pens speed.  I hope I am completely wrong and the young bucks stomp dem flightless birds!!!

Heart says Flyers in 4 (duh)

Head says Pens in 6.

:confused:   I assume by winning season you mean over .500 which is only 14 seasons.  also is in the loser point era which waters down records.  as recent as 14/15 they went 40-33-3-6 which is actually sub .500 if you include OT/SO losses as losses and missed the playoffs.  they have been good for a long time though.
I meant to say 14 seasons.

Well I hope you’re right and I gladly eat some crow. Depth, special teams, and coaching all favor the Pens, just think it’s too much for the Flyers to overcome. Plus I have to blame Elliott. ;)  

Bolts/Devs  -Devs in 7

Ruins/Leaf -Leaf in 7

Craps/Bus- Craps in 6 (fear Grubi!!!)

Pen(i)s/Flys -Flys in 7

Vegas/Kings-Kings in 7

Ducks/Sharts-Ducks in 6

Preds/Aval-Preds in 6

Planes/Timid- Timid in 6

2nd round-

Leaf/Devs-Leafs in 6

Craps/Flys-Craps in 7

Preds/Timid-Preds in 6

Ducks/Kings-Kings in 7

ECF-Craps in 7

WCF-Kings in 7

SC-Craps in 7

I have to do it once again.One of these years they may finally get it right :wall:

Bill Brasky said:
:confused:   I assume by winning season you mean over .500 which is only 14 seasons.  also is in the loser point era which waters down records.  as recent as 14/15 they went 40-33-3-6 which is actually sub .500 if you include OT/SO losses as losses and missed the playoffs.  they have been good for a long time though.
It's not the OT/SO losses that skewed the record, assuming that those would have been ties back in the "old days" (note: I guess I'm old now :kicksrock:  ). It's the wins that would have been ties under the old system ... wish there was a way to account for those in the record.

ROW really should be reduced to just regulation wins anyway, rather than throwing the 3-on-3 into it. If they're going to use ROW as a significant tiebreaker, they should only count 5-on-5 play, since that's how the playoffs are handled.

It's not the OT/SO losses that skewed the record, assuming that those would have been ties back in the "old days" (note: I guess I'm old now :kicksrock:  ). It's the wins that would have been ties under the old system ... wish there was a way to account for those in the record.
yes, that's what I mean by watered down. 

Northern Voice said:
Leafs are deeper up front but Boston has the best top line in the NHL. I don't think either team is particularly strong on the back end (especially in terms of #4/5/6 dmen) and they're both very solid in net.

Should be the best series in round 1, mostly because it should he happening in round 2 or 3 
I get what you're saying -- there's probably not as much of a dropoff when you have a fourth line with Plekanec, Komarov and Kapanen. But the B's will be plenty deep once everyone is healthy. So much so that it's likely that Donato, Gionta and probably even Wingels all are healthy scratches.

Here is how the lines looked yesterday:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Rick Nash
Heinen-Acciari-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Wingels

Sub Riley Nash in at 3C if he's healthy, move Acciari back to 4RW

I get what you're saying -- there's probably not as much of a dropoff when you have a fourth line with Plekanec, Komarov and Kapanen. But the B's will be plenty deep once everyone is healthy. So much so that it's likely that Donato, Gionta and probably even Wingels all are healthy scratches.

Here is how the lines looked yesterday:
DeBrusk-Krejci-Rick Nash
Heinen-Acciari-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Wingels

Sub Riley Nash in at 3C if he's healthy, move Acciari back to 4RW
I don't think that bottom 9 is anywhere close to:

Marleau-Kadri-Marner

JVR-Bozak-Brown

Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

I don't think that bottom 9 is anywhere close to:

Marleau-Kadri-Marner

JVR-Bozak-Brown

Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen
Yeah, calling the likes of JVR and Bozak -- notorious Bruins killers -- as "third-liners" is a frightening prospect.

I suspect that's why you're probably going to see the lineup I listed above rather than throwing Donato and Gionta in there, at least for starters. For one, it sounds like Cassidy doesn't want to have too many untested playoff guys out there at the beginning, and he probably thinks it's better to go a little "heavier" with the bottom six now that it's playoff hockey, rather than trying a skill-vs.-skill matchup that he won't be able to win.

Keeping the D healthy (Chara and McAvoy looked rusty after returning last week) will be key. And say what you will about Holden, but I feel better with him waiting in the wings rather than throwing Joe Morrow and Tommy Cross (never mind McAvoy) out there like they did last year.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Grzelcyk-McQuaid

Holden

That said ... still picking the Leafs in six. Good luck!

Keeping the D healthy (Chara and McAvoy looked rusty after returning last week) will be key. And say what you will about Holden, but I feel better with him waiting in the wings rather than throwing Joe Morrow and Tommy Cross (never mind McAvoy) out there like they did last year.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Grzelcyk-McQuaid

Holden

That said ... still picking the Leafs in six. Good luck!
These three aren't great but at least they're balanced. The Leafs only have 3 really good defencemen too (Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott) but all play on the left side, so the right D will be exposed all series, so a LW like Marchand may have a field day with the likes of Hainsey, Zaitsev and Polak.

Toronto's doing the "playoff hockey" think too with Polak and Komarov playing over the more skilled young guys Carrick and Johnsson but that's pretty expected from Babcock. Polak should be good for a handful of Bruins power plays over the course of the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given what I said above about going heavier, I actually like Miller (who has been terrific this season -- he is vastly improved all around) and McQuaid being out there. I'd be a little more concerned about Krug, who obviously is tremendously skilled but has a tendency to get a little too offensive-minded at times and get caught pinching. Toronto definitely can exploit that if it happens.

In that same regard, the Bruins will miss Carlo's skating and puck-moving ability as well, but he also showed some holes in his defensive game over the second half of the season.

On a more somber note ...

They had to complete rearrange our office about a month ago and my work department got moved across the room. They still haven't been able to get anyone in to move and set up the TVs.

NBC Sports app ... don't let me down now!

NSH / COL
WPG / MIN
VGK / LAK
ANA / SJS

TBL / NJD
TOR / BOS
WAS / CBJ
PIT / PHI

WPG / NSH
ANA / VGK

TOR / TBL
WAS / PIT :shock:

WPG / ANA
WAS / TOR

WPG / WAS

Suter loss getting way overblown in the consensus on Winnipeg I've seen.  if Spurgeon can give them anywhere near 100% they should be fine as he's arguably their #1 all-around defensemen and between Brodin/Spurgeon/Suter injuries in the 2nd half they've been without at least one of their top 4 d-men for nearly the entire stretch while also performing as one of the best teams in the league.  Dumba has taken huge strides and Prosser has surprised with capable top 4 production.  this team had far more issues early in the year with several forward injuries nagging or keeping them out of the lineup which cratered their possession coupled with a rough start from Dubnyk.  not to mention the Jets are banged up on the blue line as well and aren't a stout defensive team to begin with.  this matchup is a lot closer than it's being made out to be which is why it opened up at +155 before it got pushed up to +200.

Don't apologise. #### the Pens.
I know.  A guy with a major history of concussions so let’s root for a head injury!  Whatever it takes Philly!  But at least he acknowledged he was being sarcastic.  I’m guessing about 80% of Flyers fans are probably actually  hoping for that.  

I know.  A guy with a major history of concussions so let’s root for a head injury!  Whatever it takes Philly!  But at least he acknowledged he was being sarcastic.  I’m guessing about 80% of Flyers fans are probably actually  hoping for that.  
I'm not rooting for a Crosby injury. I'm just generally stating that the Pens suck. And I hate them.

I'm not rooting for a Crosby injury. I'm just generally stating that the Pens suck. And I hate them.
Yup you may hate them but they most certainly do not suck (as evidence by their recent cups while your boys were busy working on their golf game)

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Straight up? Can get better odds elsewhere. 

Also, I don’t think the Kings are that good but they have a pretty easy road to the Final Four since that division sucks. 
Kings aren't that consistent.  Other than the start of the season they have never really put any decent stretch together.  Doesn't really matter in the playoffs as they don't have to go on a huge streak just need to go just above .500 each series. 

Their defense isn't as good all around as it was in 2012 but they did win the Jennings so they are good.  Having Muzzin out is going to be a bit of a problem so he needs to get healthy fast.   If Toffoli/Pearson can chip in some goals and Kopi/Brown/Carter play like they have all season they will be a very tough out. 

Caps/Lumbus ------>  Capitals in 7

Pens/Flyers  --------> Pens in 6

Bolts/Devils ---------->  Bolts in 6

Bruins/Leafs  ---------->  Leafs in 6

Preds/Avs  --------->  Preds in 5

Jets/Wild  --------->  Jets in 7

Vegas/Kings  ------->  Kings in 6

Ducks/Sharks  ------->  Who cares

Welp good news is I decided to avert my eyes from the  :tfp:

And go chill on the deck. In honor of Don Koharski, I opened an Eviltwin Imperial Donut Break

First half of the first period has to make Mn happy. No sustained offense from either team and the crowd is pretty quiet. Good way to start a road series. 

I remember a few years ago in the playoffs where a 3 goal lead against the flyers didn’t mean much.  Hopefully the Pens don’t let up.  

Users who are viewing this thread