What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (2 Viewers)

Quite simply, Woodson was a football player. Boy what might have been without that ridiculous Screw The Raiders, err, Tuck Rule. Dude fought through so many injuries. Was fantastic in GB. I hated seeing him get injured during GB Super Bowl win, but so glad he got a ring. And later came back to Oakland to finish out. He's an all time Raider to me.
And there's this:

He returned to the Raiders in 2013, playing three more seasons and once more being voted to the Pro Bowl. Woodson is one of the few players in NFL history to play in a Pro Bowl in three different decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s). He is currently tied for fifth on the all time interceptions list with 65,[5] and is tied with Rod Woodson and Darren Sharper for most career defensive touchdowns with 13.[6] He also is second all time in interceptions returned for touchdowns, with 11.

Christiansen is very underrated.  Doesn't get his due in NFL circles IMO.
Loved watching him with the cut up sleeves over the huge 80s shoulder pads. He was so clutch. Guess I picked Casper as he's the more prototypical TE. Like the 80s, in today's game you'd want Christiansen.

Nice job by CBS focusing cameras on the Hole today
How has Gannon been in color commentary?

Wasn't able to flip the game on until right now, and he kinda dismissed a comment about the historic SB run he and the team had. 

Sometimes Gannon is more critical of the team, sometimes he's great to listen to given experience, insight, etc. As a broadcaster he needs to stay impartial, but I'd say on the balance I've seen him be more critical than not about the Raiders.

Figure in this game they would want some wistful and positive tangents -- has he been giving them? Or being a Debbie Downer?

Fitting ending for those loyal fans. Thanks for nothing Raiders. What a dumpster fire of an organization. As a professional athlete, how do you let a team just drive down the field and score a winning TD at the end of the game. Just boggles the mind. That's the best this organization has to offer? Eff them...

Fitting ending for those loyal fans. Thanks for nothing Raiders. What a dumpster fire of an organization. As a professional athlete, how do you let a team just drive down the field and score a winning TD at the end of the game. Just boggles the mind. That's the best this organization has to offer? Eff them...
I'm with you. Pathetic. Closing out a 60 yr history with a 16-3 lead over a team that's been getting rolled for a month & THEY close us out in 2nd half? What else should we expect from a franchise that's given us 7 playoff teams in last 34 yrs?

I thought it was 100 and 10 percent the perfect ending :shrug:   Carr was in bounds when he slid with 2:04 left in the game and the refs stop the clock because he ended up out of bounds. The clock should have been run down to the 2 minute warning, instead the raiders get a delay of game arguing it and face 1st and 15. Jax had 1 timeout left and should not have gotten the ball back with more than 40 seconds left. Very fitting 

I'm with you. Pathetic. Closing out a 60 yr history with a 16-3 lead over a team that's been getting rolled for a month & THEY close us out in 2nd half? What else should we expect from a franchise that's given us 7 playoff teams in last 34 yrs?
Totally understand and don't disagree about needing to execute. But IMO a little too harsh.

Vastly heartbreaking not to close out a win on the last game in Oaktown. Yes, this team has to be better. Yes, they need to finish and play all 60 mins.

But to put over half a decade of legacy on the result of one game, or one drive, is reactionary. It doesn't change what these fans have meant to the team, or the team has meant to these fans.

You can argue that Oakland fans definitely deserve better than the last decade and a half of mediocrity. That they deserve better than the effort shown today.

But they've (and we) have stuck by this team win or lose every weekend. One more loss -- even one as disappointing and untimely as this one was -- doesn't change the historical bond between the team and its fans. And it doesn't change the fact that our future still looks bright, even if we didn't see it on the field today, and that unfortunately for the fans in Oakland, it play out another city.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Totally understand and don't disagree about needing to execute. But IMO a little too harsh.

Vastly heartbreaking not to close out a win on the last game in Oaktown. Yes, this team has to be better. Yes, they need to finish and play all 60 mins.

But to put over half a decade of legacy on the result of one game, or one drive, is reactionary. It doesn't change what these fans have meant to the team, or the team has meant to these fans.

You can argue that Oakland fans definitely deserve better than the last decade and a half of mediocrity. That they deserve better than the effort shown today.

But they've (and we) have stuck by this team win or lose every weekend. One more loss -- even one as disappointing and untimely as this one was -- doesn't change the historical bond between the team and its fans. And it doesn't change the fact that our future still looks bright, even if we didn't see it on the field today, and that unfortunately for the fans in Oakland, it play out another city.
Yes STC it was a reactionary response but there's just no excuse for the nose dive this organization has taken the past 20 years. This game is a microcosm of how this team has screwed over their Bay Area fans. Yes, I'm from the Bay Area so it hits me a lot harder than most, I'll admit that. 

Back to this game, and current team, how do you just let this collapse happen? We can blame the refs and injuries, but there's just no excuse in my mind to let a rookie QB on a bad team drive right down the field like the defense wasn't there. Shame on them for that defensive effort. Where's the heart? What happened to the team that beat Chicago and Indy on the road? That all falls on Gruden. They better sign some high end free agents next year to support all these rookies, because, to quote Sienfeld, they "folded faster than Superman on laundry day" this year.

😶

Feel sorry for the diehard fans, of course. Deserved much better.

Lotta drops, of course. A season long occurrence.

Looked like a bad call, of course. A decades long occurrence.

But the thing that sticks out to me the most, not just in this game, but for the season: If my math is right, the Raiders have averaged 6.6 points a game in the second half--93 in 14 games.

That's all on Gruden. How is that even possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Wasn't able to flip the game on until right now, and he kinda dismissed a comment about the historic SB run he and the team had. 
I noticed this too and found it odd.  Didn't seem to want to discuss it at all.

I don't feel sorry for the fans in Oakland. It is an hour and half flight to Vegas where they can see their team play in a stadium that isn't an embarrassment of a sewer cess pool with an infield half the season. How many games sold out the entire time they were back in Oakland?

I was a fan growing up in the burbs of L.A. and they left. It sucked but it wasn't the end of the world. I saw a couple of games there but only for the love of the team because other than the people the fan experience sucked there.

A brand new awesome stadium in a place that you actually don't mind visiting. 

Nope. It may not be a popular opinion but I don't feel sorry for any Oakland area fans. 

I noticed this too and found it odd.  Didn't seem to want to discuss it at all.
"Yes, it was a fun year" and immediately into the game. 

I wonder if it is a sore subject for him... missing out in 1 SB because of the BS tuck tule and then getting thrashed in the second due to our center going on a mental instability induced bender and Callahan not having the brains to change the calls significantly enough to not let the Buc D know exactly what they were doing each freaking play.

CGRdrJoe said:
I thought it was 100 and 10 percent the perfect ending :shrug:   Carr was in bounds when he slid with 2:04 left in the game and the refs stop the clock because he ended up out of bounds. The clock should have been run down to the 2 minute warning, instead the raiders get a delay of game arguing it and face 1st and 15. Jax had 1 timeout left and should not have gotten the ball back with more than 40 seconds left. Very fitting 
Agreed 

STC, no one's taking shots at fans who showed up today. Its yet another non-playoff season but I was totally invested today knowing its last game in Oakland and watching all the history shown during game.

I think Bruno said 'those fans' as they were the ones in stadium today, but he was referring to all of us Raider fans. We were teased at 6-4 and embarrassed again as we drop to 6-8. Those last 4 losses have been by 88 points . We have the 4th worst pt differential in league.

Bruno2 and Ed are spot on. Gruden is drawing up a great plan to start game but not adjusting well at all. Today NE struggles to go up at half 13-10 and it finishes 34-13. That's coaching adjustments.

CGRdrJoe said:
I'll need to rewatch that -- were we out of challenges at that point? Imagine so if they got a delay of game at that point as it was still within the challengable time frame.

I don't feel sorry for the fans in Oakland. It is an hour and half flight to Vegas where they can see their team play in a stadium that isn't an embarrassment of a sewer cess pool with an infield half the season. How many games sold out the entire time they were back in Oakland?

I was a fan growing up in the burbs of L.A. and they left. It sucked but it wasn't the end of the world. I saw a couple of games there but only for the love of the team because other than the people the fan experience sucked there.

A brand new awesome stadium in a place that you actually don't mind visiting. 

Nope. It may not be a popular opinion but I don't feel sorry for any Oakland area fans. 
Some tough love there. Yes, it is literally the worst stadium in the NFL, and a poor stadium by any professional sports standard. But that's not entirely on fans. In this day and age I don't blame Oakland, its mayor, or its residents in choosing to fund other needs besides having to allocate tax dollars to a billion dollar stadium.

I don't know every last detail of the back and forth that got us here, and I am sure everyone could have played it better -- Oakland, its city council, the team, the NFL -- but in this day and age of sports dollar excess, I really do feel for the fans if it's between their sports team and schools/infrastructure/social programs, etc. Or between groceries and the exorbitant price of a ticket to the game.

Davis may be the poorest owner among the billionaires that own clubs, but he and the league make money. I think in a case like OAK they could likely be less profitable, build a new stadium, and be as loyal to the fans as they are to the team. But that's not how capitalism and the NFL works.  

STC, no one's taking shots at fans who showed up today. Its yet another non-playoff season but I was totally invested today knowing its last game in Oakland and watching all the history shown during game.

I think Bruno said 'those fans' as they were the ones in stadium today, but he was referring to all of us Raider fans. We were teased at 6-4 and embarrassed again as we drop to 6-8. Those last 4 losses have been by 88 points . We have the 4th worst pt differential in league.

Bruno2 and Ed are spot on. Gruden is drawing up a great plan to start game but not adjusting well at all. Today NE struggles to go up at half 13-10 and it finishes 34-13. That's coaching adjustments.
I hear ya -- we were all invested in this game. And all valid points about the slipshop effort to close and the need for a better 2nd half game plan to adjust. 

Just trying to bring a little balanced perspective and optimism, as literally nothing has changed.

We were always leaving Oakland this year -- would have been fantastic to win and go out on a high note, but that's never a guarantee, regardless of how good or bad the team plays. 

We have been a non-playoff team pretty much since the Jets loss. We are decimated by injury and the way we're built and the personnel at our disposal, we had very little shot. We are still not mathematically eliminated, but weren't after the Jets game either -- in both cases I don't think anyone here thought it would be likely we'd get into the postseason.

This was always a building block to next year. We were thrilled to seem like we could compete with playoff teams this year, but really we all just wanted to be competitive. We still are. Against any team. I just don't expect we'd win against any team. Like always, we just need to be much better, and keep improving.

Truly sucky time and way to lose, and can't help but leave a bitter taste in the mouth.  But it doesn't change that next year still looks like it could be another year where, with the right pieces added and some health, we could be that team we aspired to be this season.

In fact, I'd bet on it.

Gruden is a good coach but you can't compare him to the greatest coach of all time.  

Sitting on 13-point leads will kill you every time in the NFL. Jax couldn't stop Waller, but they got away from feeding him until it was too late to stop the tidal wave.

Jacobs bears some responsibility also (or perhaps the o-line or both). You man up and play in this classic, then average 3.7 ypc against the Jags? Long run of 9 yards?

Andy Dalton also helped out in that second half by throwing four interceptions, and one of those was a pick six.
Just what you'd expect to happen with the Patriots stealing all the Bengals' signals!

Or just Dalton being Dalton, of course.  But I like the cheater narrative better.  More fun!

Sitting on 13-point leads will kill you every time in the NFL. Jax couldn't stop Waller, but they got away from feeding him until it was too late to stop the tidal wave.

Jacobs bears some responsibility also (or perhaps the o-line or both). You man up and play in this classic, then average 3.7 ypc against the Jags? Long run of 9 yards?
This.....you have to stay aggressive and try for for chunk plays or at least act like you are trying for chunk plays....and put your foot on somebody’s throat when you have them down...even if you are up big....you have to have that threat of chunk plays...as a KC fan we don’t really have to worry about that for the next 15 years....Mahomes and Reid are always looking for the chunk plays....even when they shouldn’t.....I’m not trying to be the bad guy in a Raider thread but you don’t scare anybody.....there is no fear factor.....”maybe” if you play perfect and get to a lead you can blow somebody out but it always seems like the other team will always be in the game....and when you look at the schedule you never think that is an automatic “W” for the Raiders....and actually if there was one, some thought this week would be it....Raiders are moving in the right direction and I know the homers will blame it on injuries, etc....it will always be because of “something”....when really you still need to find ‘that guy”....like about 25 other teams....Carr is not that guy....but I hope the Raiders keep thinking he is... :banned:

I put a good deal.of the blame on Carr for this loss. It's a bit unfair as there were the characteristic "hit 'em in the hands in stride drops" (looking at you Keelan as the most egregious), the O-line has been shaky for over a month, the coaching staff hasn't made a halftime adjustment all year (seriously, what's up with that?) and Carr didn't miss two field goals or make that terrible call not stopping the clock (Carr made the obvious smart play, I was yelling  at the TV for him to get down on that scramble and when he did it seemed so obvious in real time that it took me a full minute to realize something had gone wrong).

But still, regardless of the other sources of blame I feel a truly elite QB (a Rodgers, Wilson, Brees type) despite all the problems would have found a tertiary/quaternary target at some point on that last drive to salt away the victory.

I sincerely believe Carr is one of the better QBs in the league, easily good enough to win a SB with, but he needs more help than the true elite QBs and he simply isn't getting it right now. It makes him look more flawed than he really is.

If you haven't seen the footage of the hail mary that passes through the hands of Ateman and off the face mask of Doss, go seek it out... That 6 second clip is the summary of this game and season; back up players pushed into a must win moment which passes through their hands and adds insult to injury. 

The only missing element from final moment in Oakland was not having the ref's call offence pass interference on Ateman for climbing on the back of Doss. 

I was really disappointed that we couldn't close that game out for the loyal Raider Nation.    The fans in the Black Hole really deserved to see the Silver and Black turn out the lights with a win.   

The Coliseum might be a dump, but it was OUR dump.   I have so many memories of great plays (e.g,.  "The Sea of Hands", "The Holy Roller") in that building.   

We really need a big-time WR;  doubt that he'll be there when we pick, but Jerry Jeudy would be nice.   

I put a good deal.of the blame on Carr for this loss. It's a bit unfair as there were the characteristic "hit 'em in the hands in stride drops" (looking at you Keelan as the most egregious), the O-line has been shaky for over a month, the coaching staff hasn't made a halftime adjustment all year (seriously, what's up with that?) and Carr didn't miss two field goals or make that terrible call not stopping the clock (Carr made the obvious smart play, I was yelling  at the TV for him to get down on that scramble and when he did it seemed so obvious in real time that it took me a full minute to realize something had gone wrong).

But still, regardless of the other sources of blame I feel a truly elite QB (a Rodgers, Wilson, Brees type) despite all the problems would have found a tertiary/quaternary target at some point on that last drive to salt away the victory.

I sincerely believe Carr is one of the better QBs in the league, easily good enough to win a SB with, but he needs more help than the true elite QBs and he simply isn't getting it right now. It makes him look more flawed than he really is.
To to sum up, you list a whole lot of really great insight and fair points as to why other factors aside from Carr lost us this game...

...but it's still Carr's fault?

j/k, I think the point that he looks more flawed than he is is a good one.

We lost the game as a team. A lot of things went wrong and needs to be improved, and I feel one of the least culpable parties in this loss is Carr.

To to sum up, you list a whole lot of really great insight and fair points as to why other factors aside from Carr lost us this game...

...but it's still Carr's fault?

j/k, I think the point that he looks more flawed than he is is a good one.

We lost the game as a team. A lot of things went wrong and needs to be improved, and I feel one of the least culpable parties in this loss is Carr.
I feel all of the issues I pointed out are clearly true. But I still think a truly elite QB overcomes that and finds a way to get that game winning first down.

I agree it is a bit unfair but, man what a terrible and entirely preventable loss. 

I feel all of the issues I pointed out are clearly true. But I still think a truly elite QB overcomes that and finds a way to get that game winning first down.

I agree it is a bit unfair but, man what a terrible and entirely preventable loss. 
The problem is that elite QBs are difficult to find and Gruden knows that as much as anyone.    It's easier to build a great team around a good QB.   I think that is the direction that the Raiders continue to follow.   Carr will get another season.  

The problem is that elite QBs are difficult to find and Gruden knows that as much as anyone.    It's easier to build a great team around a good QB.   I think that is the direction that the Raiders continue to follow.   Carr will get another season.  
Agreed and they often make it difficult to build great teams around them once they blow the cap after rookie deals expire. I often think Peyton Manning would have had 3-4 rings with Indy if he went the Tom Brady route of giving home town discounts...and cheat, definitely can't forget the cheating at any and every opportunity.

But there is only one Tom Brady...and his cheating ways.

Agreed and they often make it difficult to build great teams around them once they blow the cap after rookie deals expire. I often think Peyton Manning would have had 3-4 rings with Indy if he went the Tom Brady route of giving home town discounts...and cheat, definitely can't forget the cheating at any and every opportunity.

But there is only one Tom Brady...and his cheating ways.
The elite QBs would be smart to play at a slight discount to have a better supporting cast but money and ego are going to get in the way.   Every year, players want to be the highest paid at their position.  I thought Brady gets paid under the table somehow?   He's not really playing at a discount.   

I'd be really upset if my 'truly elite QB' didn't come through in that situation. Despite an OL giving him no time, and guys dropping passes in their hands, Carr still had team in position to close out if not for high school refs screwing up. They aren't getting anyone better than Carr next year and I still think he can win. I'd like to see him in another off season with Gruden & a go to WR like Crabtree in 2016. Doesn't need to be an AB, just someone he can rely on and add that to Williams, Renfroe & Waller next yr. He's been a near 70% passer with higher yards per attempt the past 2 yrs.

The elite QBs would be smart to play at a slight discount to have a better supporting cast but money and ego are going to get in the way.   Every year, players want to be the highest paid at their position.  I thought Brady gets paid under the table somehow?   He's not really playing at a discount.   
Yea there's gotta be a "personal services" deal going on there. Brady is a helluva competitor but I don't see him financially sacrificing for the team in some of the ways it has been portrayed.

DocHolliday said:
  It's easier to build a great team around a good QB. 
Like we did with Plunkett -- and what Gruden himself did with Gannon.

Both were far from elite when they joined the Raiders and got their shot. The team around them helped elevate their play, and vice-versa.

You can have an elite QB that never wins championships -- Fouts, Moon, Jurgensen, Cunningham -- all would have been considered elite in their time and prime.

But this is a team sport.  

I think Gruden knows exactly what he has in Carr, and I believe he and Mayock are building the team around him in a way that leverages his strengths, and that Carr is also the right fit for the system Gruden has installed.

I'm willing to be patient and see how this plays out next year.  

DocHolliday said:
I thought Brady gets paid under the table somehow?   He's not really playing at a discount.   

raidergil said:
Yea there's gotta be a "personal services" deal going on there. Brady is a helluva competitor but I don't see him financially sacrificing for the team in some of the ways it has been portrayed.
He's married to someone who makes more in a year than he has made in his career.

Okay, maybe not quite but she's on pace to become a billionaire. Most estimates show her net worth in the $400 mil range and he is around $180 mil. Makes it easier to focus more on winning than money. Not that it should be a problem when you're worth $200 mil.

If Carr is back next year I'm ok with that, but if they decide to move on from him I'm fine with that too.  If there is a rookie QB they love then they should draft him.  Also, if there is a vet Gruden thinks can perform at the same level as Carr or better and will take up less of the cap I'm ok going that route too.

Carr has severe flaws IMO.  In the Titan game Trent Green was announcing and pointed out that he was checking down at the slightest sign of pressure and not letting downfield routes develop and on a few occasions the rush never even got there and the ball was already checked down.

The really good QBs have a great pocket presence and I have never seen that with Carr.  They slide in the pocket in subtle ways to buy time.  Carr either checks down, throws the ball away or in some cases steps right into sacks.  When the O line is not playing great he does not help matters.

Many have pointed out he has never had a #1 WR, but they did give him Amari Cooper.  Amari certainly had his problems with the Raiders, but he looks worlds better with the Cowboys and some of that has to be on Carr.

All the losses are definitely not all on Carr and the defense has to be much better going forward, but I think he is more a part of the problem than the solution.

If Carr is back next year I'm ok with that, but if they decide to move on from him I'm fine with that too.  If there is a rookie QB they love then they should draft him.  Also, if there is a vet Gruden thinks can perform at the same level as Carr or better and will take up less of the cap I'm ok going that route too.
My feelings as well on Carr.  I like Carr.  Seems like a great guy and love his attitude.  He is not the downfield passer that would really open up this O.   Having a true WR 1 would help open up the O as well and it's guaranteed that will be addressed this off season.  Will be an interesting off season and there should be lots of holes filled.   

The whole argument of Carr is he is not elite. Question.... can you name an elite QB who played at an elite level without a true #1 WR? 

One more question.... I didn't have a chance to ask this before because literally my kidney stone came on just at the end of the Jag game..... 

How does an NFL ref not know that when a QB gives themselves up it is down when they are down (knee, elbow, etc)?! WTF! That hurt. 

Carlson should have made that kick too. The short field and extra time was a killer. 

The whole argument of Carr is he is not elite. Question.... can you name an elite QB who played at an elite level without a true #1 WR? 
Favre had Donald Driver or Javon Walker types as his best WR for a number of years.  One year he went 12-4 with Bill Schroeder leading the team in receiving.

Brady's best WR has been Deion Branch, David Givens, Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Wes Welker types some years.

I can think of others.

On the bright side.... the Bears lost too so both of our 1st round pick positions improved. Looking for that true #1 WR and either playmaking LB or top tier CB for those two 1st rounders. Then from there on pretty much almost all D BPA with maybe an offensive player or two that are just too good of value for where we are picking. Another rookie class like this from Mayock/Gruden brain trust and we are a playoff team for sure.... oh, and keep them healthy. 

Though we aren't technically out of the running for playoffs this year, it is going to take a whole lot of breaks to go our way that is less than likely. Let's talk next year roster...

2020 current liabilities $149,521,878 projected cap $200,000,000

Projected FA: 

Jalen Richard

Daryl Worley

Karl Joseph

Vontaze Burfict

Mike Glennon

Nevin Lawson

Denzelle Good

Dwayne Harris

Josh Mauro

Kyle Wilber

Benson Mayowa

Richie Incognito

Isaiah Crowell

Jordan Devey

Curtis Riley

Rod Smith

Will Compton

Dion Jordan

Keelan Doss

Eric Tomlinson

Olsen Pierre

DeAndre Washington

Nathan Peterman

David Sharpe

Makinton Dorleant

Cameron Hunt

Nick Nelson

Daniel Carlson

Trent Sieg

Nicholas Morrow

D.J. Killings

Rico Gafford

Dallin Leavitt

I believe we currently have the 13th and 18th first round picks. 

Favre had Donald Driver or Javon Walker types as his best WR for a number of years.  One year he went 12-4 with Bill Schroeder leading the team in receiving.

Brady's best WR has been Deion Branch, David Givens, Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Wes Welker types some years.

I can think of others.
Driver and Walker were true number 1's. I am not remembering the Schroeder year (I am on narcotics right now for pain so my head isn't working very well right now)

Driver and Walker were true number 1's. I am not remembering the Schroeder year (I am on narcotics right now for pain so my head isn't working very well right now)
Favre elevated the play of the guys around him and made them #1s like he did in Minnesota with Sydney Rice.  Bernard Berrian was also his top WR one year in Minnesota.

Carr had Amari Cooper and he didn't know what to do with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a guy needs everything to be perfect around him to succeed then he shouldn't be paid $25 million per year and it would be better to go with a cheaper option probably and that money could be spent on upgrading other positions.

As many feared, this appears to be a QB purgatory situation.  Not bad enough for a good shot at a QB prospect, but also not good enough to get into the playoffs. 

This offseason is the first out opportunity in the Carr contract if in not mistaken, but he might be a player they could trade to the Bears or a team who feels like they only average QB play away from a contender. 

The frustrating thing is that the Raiders not really being a team who is ready to compete this year was very predictable.  It seemed like they didn't have the discipline to carry the rebuild they committed to all the way through.  Now it seems like they will have to stick with Carr and be 7 and 9 again next year.  

I think Gruden knows exactly what he has in Carr, and I believe he and Mayock are building the team around him in a way that leverages his strengths, and that Carr is also the right fit for the system Gruden has installed.
As Billy Joel once sang, "You may be right and you may be wrong." 😉 Right about the first part and wrong about the second--"'Significant disconnect'" between Carr and Gruden"

I don't know much about Michael Lombardi but he and Gruden have a long history so his opinion can't exactly be discounted. A few excerpts...sorry about the Gannon reference, Chad. 😉

"There is a significant disconnect between the coach and the quarterback. Gruden and Carr will play nice; they will say all the positives about one another. Still, having been around Gruden for many of those good years in Oakland, I know what he loves in quarterbacks: the toughness, the grit, the willingness to sacrifice, and a competitive drive to match his own. Carr makes too many mistakes with the ball, and whether it’s a fair assessment of his ability or not, he never displays the fire that would remind anyone of former quarterback Rich Gannon. Too many times he refuses to hold on for one more second, knowing he might get hit before releasing the ball."

And

"[Carr’s] not progressing when the play breaks down if Gruden’s play call is not perfect. He struggles to create big plays on his own. Usually the defense is at risk when a quarterback breaks the pocket. But when Carr leaves, the defense is never worried, as he is more likely to just throw the ball out of bounds than try to make a play."

I agree with Stompin' Tom that Gruden knows what he has in Carr by now. He's seen him for two years and was probably already uber-familiar with him before. In fact, I recall stories when Gruden signed on that Carr was a significant reason why.

I think most people expect Gruden to draft a QB next year simply because the alternative to Carr isn't on the roster. The question is how high?

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/17/ex-nfl-gm-theres-a-significant-disconnect-between-raiders-coach-jon-gruden-and-derek-carr/

I feel like I really see both sides of the argument and it makes me more and more frustrated about the whole AB situation as it really f'd up the whole year.  This year to me was make or break with Carr.  Give you a true top 5 WR and see if those plays will come.  Stretch the field when you need to and take those shots.   If not we know he is not that guy, and we move on.  So now you can argue he's never had a true WR1 (cooper was never that guy with all those drops - for whatever reason) and Carr deserves another shot.  But on the flip side I find myself yelling at  the  TV because it does seem like it's always check down or throw it away when in trouble, but how much of that is on his WRs not getting separation?  I hate the idea of quarterback purgatory but I kinda feel like we are stuck with him because it's still "too early" to cut bait.   This team will never be disciplined enough to play like the patriots, and a Lamar Jackson or Mahomes he is not, so do we stick with the game manager and hope that our defense improves enough to keep us in games? In a league dominated by offensive play with rules favoring the offense?  I don't know...and I was drinking the Kool Aid after that 3 game win streak....

Users who are viewing this thread