What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL 2019 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread (1 Viewer)

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

#Lions Preseason Week 2 Offense Report (1/5)

Stafford and receivers did not play, but starting offensive line played four drives.

Kerryon Johnson never saw a third down.

1st Drive 3rd & 12 - C.J. Anderson (max pro situation)

2nd Drive 3rd & 4 - C.J. Anderson

#Lions Preseason Week 2 (2/5)

3rd Drive All C.J. Anderson including 3rd & 4 4th Drive

Kerryon took all downs except 3rd & 11 - Ty Johnson FWIW

Matt Patricia has stated his number one goal for his backs is keeping them all healthy THROUGH the season.

#Lions Preseason Week 2 (3/5)

With a heavy Kerryon Johnson heart I have to say this might really be something.

1) Fits Patricia MO - rotated lesser backs last season & has exposure to specialized roles from NE days

2) Specialization trends tend to hold more value in preseason

#Lions Preseason Week 2 (4/5)

We very well could be dealing with Kerryon as a 1st & 2nd down back with C.J. Anderson and Ty Johnson getting much of 3rd down passing looks.

C.J. Anderson could also be working in about every third drive or so to keep Kerryon fresh.

Nick Mensio @NickMensio

Deebo Samuel and Marquise Goodwin are the #49ers' projected starting WRs in

@mattbarrows

latest 53-man roster projection. Has SF cutting Richie James and Kendrick Bourne:

Brian Baldinger @BaldyNFL

@TelvinSmith_22

has been the best defensive player on a great defense for 3 years in a row. I am searching for his replacement and after 2 preseason games I can’t find anyone that can come close to his instincts and production. His absence is a big void #BaldysBreakdowns

Brian Baldinger @BaldyNFL

@TelvinSmith_22

has been the best defensive player on a great defense for 3 years in a row. I am searching for his replacement and after 2 preseason games I can’t find anyone that can come close to his instincts and production. His absence is a big void #BaldysBreakdowns
Probably because Quincy Williams hasn't played yet. 

Warren Sharp @SharpFootball

Raiders players say TE Darren Waller is the most underrated player in camp. He played all first-string snaps this preseason & stayed in for all groupings (11, 12, 21 & 22). He caught only 6 passes since 2016, but Gruden said this year he'll get the "chance of a lifetime".

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss 

With Demaryius Thomas activated, here is my view of WR spot, (projection to keep 6):

Julian Edelman

Josh Gordon (NFI)

N'Keal Harry

Demaryius Thomas

Phillip Dorsett

Jakobi Meyers

Maurice Harris

Braxton Berrios

Gunner Olszewski

Damoun Patterson

Ryan Davis

(Cameron Meredith - NFI)

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

At this point, #Chargers RB Melvin Gordon’s holdout is expected to continue into the season, sources say. Contract talks have not progressed as he hoped, and he’ll continue to train in Florida for the foreseeable future.

Adam Levitan @adamlevitan

First-team RB snaps for LAC so far this preseason: Austin Ekeler 25 Justin Jackson 13

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben Arthur @benyarthur

D.K. Metcalf at the VMAC today after having knee surgery on Tuesday

David J. Chao @ProFootballDoc

Electrical muscle stimulation after knee scope. Lots of atrophy present. This doesn't look like the leg of the guy in the preCombine pictures completely ripped with 1.6% body fat. Seems optimistic to be ready and effective for week 1.

Bob Condotta @bcondotta

Carroll wouldn't answer directly when asked if Metcalf would be available week one but said "there is no indication it is going to be along return.'' Said the point of having surgery now was to make use of this time in preseason so he could be ready week one.

Nick Mensio @NickMensio

#Steelers OC Randy Fichtner on if Vance McDonald will see an increase in snaps in 2019. "He won't. He's never going to play the full game. That's never going to happen."

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero

I'm told Albert Wilson has NOT suffered setback in recovery from hip injury and remains on course to play in the regular-season opener. So good news.

Aaron Reiss @aaronjreiss

Duke Johnson has been a productive receiver in his second #Texans practice. He’s played all over the field today.

patrick @PatDStat

“We are moving him around alot.” Bill O’Brien on Duke Johnson. Likes what Johnson has done the past two days on the practice field. #Texans

Nick Mensio @NickMensio

#Steelers OC Randy Fichtner on if Vance McDonald will see an increase in snaps in 2019. "He won't. He's never going to play the full game. That's never going to happen."
Interesting - I thought this might relate to blocking ability, but I thought McDonald was a good blocker. Fewer snaps means fewer potential targets and means he may overdrafted in many leagues. 

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

#Broncos coach Vic Fangio told me rookie TE Noah Fant, who suffered a minor ankle injury in last preseason game, will be ready for Week 1. Good news for first-round pick who has impressed as a blocker as well as a receiver. Could make immediate impact.

Jon Machota @jonmachota

One thing is clear about the Cowboys’ offense this season, they will use the fullback in the downfield passing game. Dak just hit Jamize Olawale on a deep ball along the right sideline in 7 on 7

We need to have a talk about Seahawks RB Rashaad Penny

When the Seattle Seahawks bulldozed their way into the NFC Wild Card spot with a 10-6 record in the 2018 regular season, they did so on the back of a top tier quarterback able to deliver his team from the 3rd & long situations in which the running game so often stranded the offense.

Chris Carson and Mike Davis led the way, combining for 1,665 yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground. Add in the production that youngster Rashaad Penny added when he was given a shot, and it added up to the most prolific rushing offense in the NFL in 2018. Now, we’re not here to debate whether or not the rushing game is inherently inefficient or whether the Seahawks should throw the ball more, we’re here to discuss something else. It’s time to start asking the hard questions about Rashaad Penny.

Everyone’s definition of a bust is likely a little different and nuanced in such as way as that there will not be complete agreement. That said, my purpose today is not to declare one way or the other regarding Penny, it’s to start to ask the questions surrounding his on field performance that may lead us to an answer at some point in the future. The reason there’s no point in determining whether Penny is a bust right now is because the simple fact of the matter is that he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Penny has the tenth highest cap hit of all Seattle offensive players, and every penny of his $2,446,690 cap hit in 2019 is fully guaranteed. Beyond that, as is seen in the table pulled from OverTheCap.com which is pictured below, not only is Penny’s 2019 cap hit fully guaranteed, his entire $2,936,028 cap hit for 2020, along with $580,000 in 2021 base salary are fully guaranteed as well. Those guarantees come thanks to Penny’s status as a first round pick and make it extremely likely that he will be afforded every opportunity to perform in the seasons to come.

And that’s where he needs to improve. I know there’s been a lot of excuses thrown out for Penny in the wake of that performance against the Vikings, specifically regarding the fact that he was running behind the second team offensive line. Well, that’s all fine and good, outside of the fact that all three of the running backs behind Carson on the depth chart were running behind the same offensive line. Penny’s first carry came behind the first team line, while the next five were behind the same backups that Travis Homer and Xavier Turner ran behind. That line of Elijah Nkansah-Demetrius Knox-Joey Hunt-Jordan Roos-Marcus Martin is no different than the line behind which Turner and Homer put up far better numbers.

Penny: 6 carries, -2 yards, -0.3 ypc (Success Rate: 0%)

Homer: 4 carries, 16 yards, 4.0 ypc (Success Rate: 50%)

Turner: 2 carries, 13 yards, 6.5 ypc (Success Rate: 100%)

So, again, not making any declarations one way or another regarding Penny’s status as a bust because he’s a second year player who isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. But at what point does it become time to stop making excuses for a player who is underperforming relative to the other youngsters around him?

@JPFinlayNBCS tells us that the #Redskins have been trying to trade Josh Doctson for the last two years. Says Richardson, Quinn, McLaurin and maybe even Cam Sims are all ahead of him on the depth chart. "It wouldn't shock me if he gets released."

Jeff Ratcliffe @JeffRatcliffe

Carson was on the field for 15 of Russell Wilson's 19 snaps last week. Penny only played four snaps with Wilson, and one was because Carson lost his shoe. Penny's other 16 snaps came with Paxton Lynch under center. Carson played zero snaps with Lynch.

David Dodds @fbg_dodds

I am expecting Melvin Gordon to show up in week 10 to accrue his fifth-year season only.

Gordon stands to get a lot more money in free agency than he can get by playing significant games with the Chargers. The Chargers are unlikely to franchise him for the $12+M next year if he shows up in week 10.

IMO, the Chargers will ride Ekeler and Jackson similarly to how the Saints used Kamara and Ingram last season. Ekeler will get a lot of touches, but Jackson will also have a decent role.

Because the team will get a very good compensatory pick eventually when they lose Gordon, they are going to be willing to eat the pro-rated $5M contract this season for the number of games Gordon plays.

I put this holdout 90+% on the team as it could have been mitigated with a simple sitdown that would have led to a trade of Gordon.

The Chargers likely should have dealt him before the draft as there was no way they were going to ever offer more than 2 years, $20M and he was never going to take that. They have zero desire to sign him to a longterm deal.

David Dodds @fbg_dodds

I put this holdout 90+% on the team as it could have been mitigated with a simple sitdown that would have led to a trade of Gordon.
Seems odd.

I don't know what team wants to pay Gordon ~$13-14mil/season given his health and efficiency history, let alone give up anything in trade for the right to do so. Does Dodds even speculate on a team that may have been willing to do that?

David Dodds @fbg_dodds

I am starting to sense that Ezekiel Elliott might miss a few games to start the season.

1st three weeks:

at home vs NYG

on road vs WAS

at home vs MIA

They play a tough game on the road in week 4 against the Saints.

I fear he misses the first two weeks. The team will likely win without him and Jerry has shown to roll the dice before (Emmitt Smith) in this type of scenario to get a leg up on negotiations.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Cardinals released former Bears first-round pick, WR Kevin White, per source. White has recovered from the hamstring injury that kept him out of action for over the past week.

D. Orlando Ledbetter @DOrlandoAJC

#Falcons WR Calvin Ridley’s left ankle was a problem last year as well. He played the final two-thirds of the season battling inflammation and pain. Once the season was over, he had surgery to remove “loose bodies” from the joint

Seems odd.

I don't know what team wants to pay Gordon ~$13-14mil/season given his health and efficiency history, let alone give up anything in trade for the right to do so. Does Dodds even speculate on a team that may have been willing to do that?
This type of response is why nfl teams “leak” their per year contract offers. They are extremely misleading as most people, even educated people who dwell in forums like this, see the per year avg and move on without asking about the real important number, the guaranteed money.

It’s most assuredly a discussion for a separate thread but I speculate that the Chargers offered him a 4 year extension, 40 mil total with 18-20 mil guaranteed new money. Sounds great right? It’s not though because if Gordon played out this year well (or even if he just got through it uninjured), they would’ve likely franchise tagged him for a fully guaranteed 1 year, 12 mil contract. So when you look at my speculative offer, they basically added 6-8 mil guaranteed, less than even one year under the franchise tag, and they get 3 more years of control wherein they can cut him with little to no cost after the second one. Basically, he gets big money in theory but if he suffers a career ending injury, playing for them in game 1 this year after signing that extension, he would only get the amount equal to the franchise tag next year and a little extra. What he probably would’ve accepted is 4 years/40 mil with 24-28 mil guaranteed (there’s that 12-14 mil/year number people keep hearing). Since running backs are generally considered replaceable, and there is good recent history to support that theory, it makes sense that they didn’t want to do that. Still sucks for fans of football though.

Also, totally could’ve seen the Colts trading something for Gordon and giving him money if Mack suffered a torn ACL or something. They have the cap space and will be players for him next year if Mack doesn’t pan out

AB is going to be a steal in drafts if you can get him late second early third.  

This is the best WR in the NFL for the better part of the last decade.  Only thing that may derail is Carr’s happy feet in the pocket.  But I am coming around.  Drop Antonio, drop!
You really think so? I def think AB retains more value moving teams than Bell but unsure how to value him with Carr. I would be more concerned if he were more of a deep ball receiver but he can catch short and intermediate too. 

Have to assume fewer red zone opportunities as well in Oakland. Not sure where to put him - I would take Allen ahead of him so maybe in the Thielen/Diggs range. End of Top 15. 

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Chiefs sixth-round RB Darwin Thompson "appears to have leaped" Carlos Hyde on the depth chart.

Thompson has reportedly worked ahead of Hyde at camp this week, splitting first-team reps with Damien Williams. It's further affirmation to how the Chiefs view Thompson heading into the year as coach Andy Reid recently noted the sixth-round rookie has "good vision in the run game" and a "pretty good understanding of the pass game", too. With 9/52 rushing and 1/29/1 receiving on limited usage this preseason, it would not be shocking to see Thompson start the year ahead of Williams in a third-down, change-of-pace role, reducing Williams' ceiling as fantasy's current RB13. Thompson has standalone value at the back of fantasy drafts even if he initially receives low volume out the gates. This news also makes Hyde a candidate for release once final cuts occur.

Source: Nate Taylor on Twitter

The Athletic's Jay Glazer reports the Vikings can't stop "raving about" third-round RB Alexander Mattison at camp.

"The Vikings have a rookie RB named Alexander Mattison who they were all raving about when I stopped by their camp," Glazer writes. "I mean, to a man, couldn’t stop preaching his gospel." Mike Boone has torn up the preseason for the second straight year, notching 111 yards on 22 touches through Minnesota's first two games, but Mattison (19/71) has clearly been used ahead of the former in both contests. Much like Latavius Murray's situation with the Vikings last year, Mattison is both the direct handcuff to Dalvin Cook and continues to have late-round standalone value as fantasy's current RB57.

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Chiefs sixth-round RB Darwin Thompson "appears to have leaped" Carlos Hyde on the depth chart.

Thompson has reportedly worked ahead of Hyde at camp this week, splitting first-team reps with Damien Williams. It's further affirmation to how the Chiefs view Thompson heading into the year as coach Andy Reid recently noted the sixth-round rookie has "good vision in the run game" and a "pretty good understanding of the pass game", too. With 9/52 rushing and 1/29/1 receiving on limited usage this preseason, it would not be shocking to see Thompson start the year ahead of Williams in a third-down, change-of-pace role, reducing Williams' ceiling as fantasy's current RB13. Thompson has standalone value at the back of fantasy drafts even if he initially receives low volume out the gates. This news also makes Hyde a candidate for release once final cuts occur.

Source: Nate Taylor on Twitter
#######it. 

ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques believes rookie TE Tommy Sweeney "might just be" the Bills best tight end option come Week 1.

The Bills had three-straight injuries to their tight end group, giving Sweeney a path to first-team reps. The Boston College product doesn't profile as much of a receiver, but he could be a player who earns the belief of a coaching staff for his blocking ability. Sweeney is obviously not a startable fantasy tight end.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 22, 2019, 9:27 AM ET

Ty Johnson, the real-life and fantasy sleeper the Lions need

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Ty Johnson stepped on the turf at Ford Field two weeks ago and lined up in the backfield. Tom Savage handed him the ball. He burst off on the right side. Gained 13 yards. None of it counted.

A holding call nullified the first run of his NFL career. It was a preseason game, but being able to pull off that type of speed run immediately in the pros also did something more valuable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson wasn’t sure how his skills would fit in the NFL. It’s the question of almost every rookie when he makes the jump from college football. He started practicing with the Lions and broke off some big runs. Still a little skeptical, he lined up in the backfield against the Patriots, and then, first carry, that happened.

“Everyone wonders how it’s going to be when you first get here,” Johnson said. “But when I made a few plays, I was like, ‘OK, it’s going to translate pretty well.'"

Still, Johnson’s preseason has been pretty quiet. Some of that has to do with the Lions not using him all that much -- though it’s clear they like what he can bring. Some of that has to do with the two backs definitively in front of him on the depth chart: Kerryon Johnson and C.J. Anderson. Heading into training camp, it wasn’t clear that Johnson was going to make the team.

Then the Lions cut veteran Theo Riddick, theoretically opening a spot on the roster for another running back. Since then, Johnson has played like a player deserving of a spot and much more.

Being a sixth-round pick out of Maryland means he isn't going to get the attention others will early in the season. But he’s a player to watch, both in fantasy leagues and in real life, as a sleeper for a better year than you might anticipate.

That said, at the moment, Johnson is fine living the hype-free life.

“I’m off-the-radar right now, and I like keeping it that way,” he said. “I like staying low-key. That’s perfectly fine if I am. That’s perfectly fine.”

Why is he OK with that?

“It’s not as much pressure, one, and two, it’s the ultimate surprise, I guess, if I do make big plays," he said.

It'll be a great surprise if he does it a couple of times in the regular season -- and there’s reason to believe he should receive some opportunities because his combination of speed and acceleration is different than that of Kerryon Johnson, Anderson or Zach Zenner. Johnson can get outside in the blink of an eye or through a hole in a flash.

Kerryon Johnson has the ability to make big plays with his vision. Anderson, who was a darling filling in for Todd Gurley II in the Los Angeles Rams' run to the Super Bowl, is a bigger back. Zenner has special-teams value and has always been able to rush for the yards that are open to him. Johnson brings something different.

“He can go whenever," Anderson said. "His speed speaks for itself. We can all get in the open field and hit some runs, but to finish those open runs, I think that his ability is better than myself, for sure.”

It's what Johnson did at Maryland, finishing fourth in school history in rushing yards (2,635) and third in all-purpose yards (4,196). He didn’t catch many passes for the Terrapins, but already in Lions camp he has shown that he can do that too, something he was confident of when he was asked about his lack of receiving production on draft day.

The Lions were intrigued by his potential then and continue to be now. It isn't clear what his role will be this season. Change-of-pace back? Third-down specialist? Special teams? It's a spot the Lions are trying to find for him.

Johnson's speed opened that up. He has all the makings of a future playmaker. Lions coach Matt Patricia likes his ability to burst through the line of scrimmage, except that Johnson still seems like a player going “what do we do?” once he gets there.

If he figures that out, the Lions should create a way to use him. That will make Johnson tantalizing in all aspects of football, both real life and fantasy.

“Certainly his speed is something that is very interesting, and I would say there are definitely some trends in the league right now where you have guys who have different types of speed out there that gives defenses problems, and those are hard players to defend,” Patricia said. “Right now, for him, it’s really about learning the position and making sure that’s all consistent.

“And then, once all that kind of gets settled down, if it goes in the direction that we want it to, we can try to explore other areas to use his athleticism and things like that to help us.”

J Moyer @JMoyerFB

Irv Smith is generating great buzz with his route running. One under appreciated domain of route running is manipulating underneath zones. Especially important for slot WR and TEs working middle of field. Smith already displays old-man game

Users who are viewing this thread