What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Amazon Rings of Power Thread (1 Viewer)

Well, that was a rather interesting episode. I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts when they've seen it, as I'm still digesting it.

One thing I brought up early on the thread got a mention in this episode and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it going forward:

Celeborn. So he & Galadriel were married, then he went off to war and never returned. They have to reintroduce him at some point, right?

Well, that was a rather interesting episode. I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts when they've seen it, as I'm still digesting it.

One thing I brought up early on the thread got a mention in this episode and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it going forward:

Celeborn. So he & Galadriel were married, then he went off to war and never returned. They have to reintroduce him at some point, right?
I have no idea who that is and did not hear them mention it at all

This may be a dumb question, but did you watch the episode? There was a several-minute talk about it.

This may be a dumb question, but did you watch the episode? There was a several-minute talk about it.
Yep

I assume so.

I just watched latest episode that came out this week and I heard her mention she was married. I didn't catch the name of her husband.

I just watched latest episode that came out this week and I heard her mention she was married. I didn't catch the name of her husband.
Yeah, that's the episode I was talking about. So, you hadn't watched it when you responded. No wonder you were so wrong :lol:

She did mention his name.

My thoughts on some of the mystery characters.

I'm 99.9% sure Theo is going to be a Nazgul.

They sure are setting up Halbrand to be Sauron, or at least make the viewer think that's what they're doing. I don't much like it and I can't really articulate why. I guess I'll have to see how they manage to get him there. I'm still holding out hope that he also becomes a Nazgul.

Similar to Halbrand, it seems like the Stranger is being set up as Gandalf. I don't have a major problem with this, if true. They've already messed with Tolkien's timeline something fierce, Might be another red herring, though.

I don't have a clue on the three freaks who burned up the Harfoots' wagons. I think they are all female, but I guess they could still be wizards of some sort.

My thoughts on some of the mystery characters.

I'm 99.9% sure Theo is going to be a Nazgul.

They sure are setting up Halbrand to be Sauron, or at least make the viewer think that's what they're doing. I don't much like it and I can't really articulate why. I guess I'll have to see how they manage to get him there. I'm still holding out hope that he also becomes a Nazgul.

Similar to Halbrand, it seems like the Stranger is being set up as Gandalf. I don't have a major problem with this, if true. They've already messed with Tolkien's timeline something fierce, Might be another red herring, though.

I don't have a clue on the three freaks who burned up the Harfoots' wagons. I think they are all female, but I guess they could still be wizards of some sort.
I haven’t a clue about all the characters since I’ve only seen the 6 movies, just enjoying it. Hate that we’re already at the finale and HotD only has two more weekends. Pretty rare to have multiple shows like that at the same time, but the long waits suck. I didn’t get into The Expanse until after GOT was over, just didn’t hear about it. Can’t think of any other big fantasy/Sci-fi series running parallel. I feel like I hit lucky on both of those as I didn’t have HBO so I binged seasons 1-3 of both.

Yeah, that's the episode I was talking about. So, you hadn't watched it when you responded. No wonder you were so wrong :lol:

I thought episodes came out Friday so I assumed the new episode wouldn't be out Thursday. :shrug:

I thought episodes came out Friday so I assumed the new episode wouldn't be out Thursday. :shrug:
It was Friday when I posted. I saw the episode that morning and put that bit in spoilers so folks who hadn't watched yet wouldn't have me ruining the moment. I don't know what time on Friday Amazon releases their new stuff, but it was there when I looked at about 6 or 7 a.m. ET.

Anyway, enough with this stuff no one else cares about.

It was Friday when I posted. I saw the episode that morning and put that bit in spoilers so folks who hadn't watched yet wouldn't have me ruining the moment. I don't know what time on Friday Amazon releases their new stuff, but it was there when I looked at about 6 or 7 a.m. ET.

Anyway, enough with this stuff no one else cares about.
I care.

I could really do without seeing another Harfoot for the rest of my days, They just annoy the hell out of me.

What makes you think that? For both Halbrand & the Stranger

I could really do without seeing another Harfoot for the rest of my days, They just annoy the hell out of me.

Just some of Halbrand's statements ("appearances can be deceiving" and stuff like that) and his soap-opera-ish glances at people.

With the Stranger, it's similar in that it's little things . The way he acted with the lightning bugs was very similar to Gandalf speaking to the moth in Jackson's films, for instance. Or how he's befriended the proto-Hobbits. Now he has those 3 weirdos chasing him. If he is Gandalf, I don't think he knows it.

I dunno, I'm probably wrong - I usually am. It just seems like the writers are throwing clues out there.

Just some of Halbrand's statements ("appearances can be deceiving" and stuff like that) and his soap-opera-ish glances at people.

With the Stranger, it's similar in that it's little things . The way he acted with the lightning bugs was very similar to Gandalf speaking to the moth in Jackson's films, for instance. Or how he's befriended the proto-Hobbits. Now he has those 3 weirdos chasing him. If he is Gandalf, I don't think he knows it.

I dunno, I'm probably wrong - I usually am. It just seems like the writers are throwing clues out there.
Thanks for the response :thumbup: I ask because I have book knowledge and was wondering what made you think along those lines.

Thanks for the response :thumbup: I ask because I have book knowledge and was wondering what made you think along those lines.
Oh, it's not the books :lol: They've gone so far off-script there that I don't know what's coming - which is kinda fun.

Oh, it's not the books :lol: They've gone so far off-script there that I don't know what's coming - which is kinda fun.
Well, to be fair, there really isn't a script for them to go off of. They are filling in blanks after all.

I like both conjectures. I agree it seems like Halbrand is the most likely suspect for Sauron. He's got the mysterious background, they established that he is a craftsman, he's the "rightful king" of the land that just became Mordor, they're now putting him in a position to meet Elrond and Celibrimbor. Of course those could all be misdirection but who knows.

The biggest question mark to me is the travelling ominous elven sisters. Who are they, why do they look so insidious, why don't they like Harfeet carts, and what are they up to?

Well, to be fair, there really isn't a script for them to go off of. They are filling in blanks after all.
I guess I meant they've gone fairly far afield with some of the few crumbs they DID have. They've crunched about 1,900 years of history into one mortal life span, completely changed the Galadriel/Celeborn thing (so did Tolkien, but none of his retcons were anything like this), changed they way mithril works, and screwed with the Durin/Durin timelines a hefty amount.

I don't have a problem with any of this on principal (except I think the mithril/Elves stuff is kinda dumb) and am willing to see where they take things.

I haven’t read the books but if you remember in the LOTR movies when Gandalf went from gray to white he kind of didn’t have some of his memory or whatever that was when he first appear as white. Maybe this is pre-gray? Just guessing like you.

My Guess: We weren‘t seeing everything in linear time. The Harfoots are “after” Mt. Doom erupted. The stranger came from the volcano, not from space, so I definitely think he is Sauron.
Don't get me wrong, I like this show a lot so far. But I haven't seen anything to make me think the writers have that kind of creativity in them.

I have been sick the past 2 days and busted through the first 7 episodes. We recently watched the LOTR trilogy with our kids and IMO, this show is far superior :duckshead:

Those movies are way too ****ing long

My Guess: We weren‘t seeing everything in linear time. The Harfoots are “after” Mt. Doom erupted. The stranger came from the volcano, not from space, so I definitely think he is Sauron.
But wasn't it a piece of the Mt Doom explosion that burned the apple trees?

I did think of that, but I didn’t remember if they were already burned when they got to the orchard or not, and I although I really like the show, unless it’s Phoebe Cates leaving the pool, I‘m not much for rewatching.

I did think of that, but I didn’t remember if they were already burned when they got to the orchard or not, and I although I really like the show, unless it’s Phoebe Cates leaving the pool, I‘m not much for rewatching.
They were all burned before they got there. That’s why everyone was upset and they were hoping that the stranger could fix it. While it could have been Mt. Doom, that seems unlikely because I don’t recall seeing anything else hit. If they were close enough to see Gandalf/Sauron fall, wouldn’t they have heard/felt Mt. Doom? Even if the eruption could land miles away that was still a huge eruption.

I wonder if both did come from the eruption or if maybe they are trying to make us think that it did.

They were all burned before they got there. That’s why everyone was upset and they were hoping that the stranger could fix it. While it could have been Mt. Doom, that seems unlikely because I don’t recall seeing anything else hit. If they were close enough to see Gandalf/Sauron fall, wouldn’t they have heard/felt Mt. Doom? Even if the eruption could land miles away that was still a huge eruption.

I wonder if both did come from the eruption or if maybe they are trying to make us think that it did.

They were burned before Nori and her group got there, but I can't remember if they were still well behind everyone else. But I'm pretty sure everything was still smoking (why they thought the others had started baking) and there were boulders shown in the middle still glowing hot. I don't think it would make much sense that those would have fallen at the same time as the stranger.

They were burned before Nori and her group got there, but I can't remember if they were still well behind everyone else. But I'm pretty sure everything was still smoking (why they thought the others had started baking) and there were boulders shown in the middle still glowing hot. I don't think it would make much sense that those would have fallen at the same time as the stranger.
I didn’t remember the boulders but I do recall the smell, so it had to be recent. That timing wouldn’t match his arrival either and they didn’t show us a wasteland like an eruption but the boulders would elude to maybe a long distance part of the explosion. I still feel like an explosion that could throw something miles away would have made a sound/earth tremor even far away.

I didn’t remember the boulders but I do recall the smell, so it had to be recent. That timing wouldn’t match his arrival either and they didn’t show us a wasteland like an eruption but the boulders would elude to maybe a long distance part of the explosion. I still feel like an explosion that could throw something miles away would have made a sound/earth tremor even far away.
They even mentioned fire falling from the sky iirc. It happened when they were close, I think.

Yea I like the creativity of thinking that the stranger got blown out from the volcano and the timeline is all ****ed, but those two events don’t seem to be related to each other

What was the deal with the leaf bursting into flames when the dwarf King chucked it into the mining shaft?
Did you see what was there right after it burst into flames?
I did. Just didn’t get the connection between the leaf and the monster.
The fire from the Balrog burnt the leaf dude
OK dude :rolleyes:

Just didn't know if I was missing some symbolism with the leaf or something. Rewatched it and I guess it was just a way for them to not randomly show the bottom of the mine

What was the deal with the leaf bursting into flames when the dwarf King chucked it into the mining shaft?
Did you see what was there right after it burst into flames?
I did. Just didn’t get the connection between the leaf and the monster.
The fire from the Balrog burnt the leaf dude
OK dude :rolleyes:

Just didn't know if I was missing some symbolism with the leaf or something. Rewatched it and I guess it was just a way for them to not randomly show the bottom of the mine
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything. I actually was thinking that might have been the final scene and the ending got cut off for you or something (but now I remember the final scene was the name change to Mordor).

I'm sure there was no real significance to it being the leaf that burnt. Just like you said, just a way to remind people that the dwarves digging down too far for Mithril is what ends up letting loose the Balrog that Gandalf meets later on.

Excellent ending to the season. 10/10 would watch again. :)
That was something, alright. Good thing I don't take acid or eat shrooms anymore, because that episode would have sent me to a psych ward with some of the SFX :lol:

A couple of my guesses came true. The showrunners actually changed how I'd feel about one of them with this episode.

Did I miss the creation of the nine & seven rings?

That was something, alright. Good thing I don't take acid or eat shrooms anymore, because that episode would have sent me to a psych ward with some of the SFX :lol:

A couple of my guesses came true. The showrunners actually changed how I'd feel about one of them with this episode.

The creation of the seven and nine comes later. I think Sauron makes those himself and gifts them to the dwarves and humans, but I'm not 100% on that.

The creation of the seven and nine comes later. I think Sauron makes those himself and gifts them to the dwarves and humans, but I'm not 100% on that.
That’s out of order canonically though, right?

That's what I thought, too.

Good finale. At first I wasn’t totally in love with the first part of the reveal in the Elven plot line, but I liked the finish there.

Harfoots:
"Was expecting some kind of portmanteau of “goned off” or something for the Harfoots to give him the name Gandalf. Glad that didn’t happen."]

Biggest miss of the series for me is Jack Black the bushy bearded Numenorean. None of the diversity bothered me at all, but the one guy straight out of central casting with the cliched bad guy ”look“ stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

That's what I thought, too.
That appears to be correct.

Good finale. At first I wasn’t totally in love with the first part of the reveal in the Elven plot line, but I liked the finish there.

Harfoots:
"Was expecting some kind of portmanteau of “goned off” or something for the Harfoots to give him the name Gandalf. Glad that didn’t happen."]

Biggest miss of the series for me is Jack Black the bushy bearded Numenorean. None of the diversity bothered me at all, but the one guy straight out of central casting with the cliched bad guy ”look“ stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
I think it's because it's not Gandalf, I think it's one of the Blue Wizards

Users who are viewing this thread