What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (1 Viewer)

Mccluster and Leon Washington are playing way more than I thought they would. I don't think Sankey is going to be a very good pick this year unfortunately.

Greene, 15-71

McCluster, 9-29

Sankey, 6-25

Washington, 2-23

Locker, 6-14

As the TEN RB coach said, the strength is the group.

When Sankey is given the reins he is going to CRUSH behind that o-line.

Seeing him run today and succeed in "real" game action is very comforting. Seeing the success that Greene and even McCluster had vs that KC defense in KC shows that line is real good!

Is this guy really worth the bench spot?
No. You should continue to over-react to his first reg season game as a pro and ignore the fact that the Titans drafted him above all other RBs and drop him immediately. :rollseyes:
Despite your snarky reaction, in a re-draft league; depending on league size, roster size, starting requirements; it is a perfectly legitimate question.

I firmly believe in not over-reacting to one week, but it is possible to under-react as well.

I passed on Sankey in re-draft guessing this Greene/McCluster thing was real. Ryan Matthews rookie year kept running through my head.

Every once in a while the preseason offers some serious insight to a player. This is one such case. The fact that he didn't get any 1st teams reps was a red flag and it seems to be a foreshadowing of how his season will play out.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. You should continue to over-react to his first reg season game as a pro and ignore the fact that the Titans drafted him above all other RBs and drop him immediately. :rollseyes:
How does one completely dismiss the fact that Sankey didn't get any action until the game was decided, and that in that scenario Greene ripped off much larger chunks of yardage than he did. Sankey is currently 4th on the RB depth chart in terms of use, and his draft position obviously has not affected the TEN coaching staff.

TEN isn't going to give up on the guy, but given his usage yesterday in a real game, I'm not sure how any Sankey owner thinks that was in any way a positive statement on his immediate future other than utterly deluding one's self.

When Sankey is given the reins he is going to CRUSH behind that o-line.

Seeing him run today and succeed in "real" game action is very comforting. Seeing the success that Greene and even McCluster had vs that KC defense in KC shows that line is real good!
Sankey ONLY had 9 less touches than Greene and avoided major injury on all of them. The sky's the limit for him!

Just let me know when this is Lamar Miller so I can not waste anymore time.
Its been like this for a while. You have the whole preseason + 1st game of regular season of evidence to the claim that he is 4th string. Having said that, don't drop him unless you can pick up a good flyer.

Every once in a while the preseason offers some serious insight to a player. This is one such case. The fact that he didn't get any 1st teams reps was a red flag and it seems to be a foreshadowing of how his season will play out.
I won't disagree but Greene isn't the model of health. Let's see how his knee holds up.

How does one completely dismiss the fact that Sankey didn't get any action until the game was decided, and that in that scenario Greene ripped off much larger chunks of yardage than he did. Sankey is currently 4th on the RB depth chart in terms of use, and his draft position obviously has not affected the TEN coaching staff.

TEN isn't going to give up on the guy, but given his usage yesterday in a real game, I'm not sure how any Sankey owner thinks that was in any way a positive statement on his immediate future other than utterly deluding one's self.
While some others are mis-reading the situation, IMO, so are you.

Sankey is 2nd on the RB depth chart. What that means to me is that he is Greene's backup. If Greene gets hurt, is ineffective, or can't play for some other reason, I would expect Sankey to step into his role. McCluster and Washington are smaller, more traditional COP type RBs. They will continue to get a handful of carries, plus targets in the passing game.

Greene has been unimpressive for most of his career, and has dealt with injuries last year and this off-season. Sankey is a young RB who hasn't transitioned as smoothly to the NFL as some would have hoped (fumbles, pass pro). When/If he improves in those areas, he will likely get more PT, if Greene doesn't get hurt first.

Greene, 15-71

McCluster, 9-29

Sankey, 6-25

Washington, 2-23

Locker, 6-14

As the TEN RB coach said, the strength is the group.
I don't look at those numbers and think strength.

Looks like a below average running core at this stage. Obviously still early.
That's 162 total yards rushing by the group. No team averaged over 160 yards rushing during the regular season in 2013.

Just stating some facts - not looking to get flames...but look at the first two NFL games of these RBs last year:

Eddie Lacy:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LacyEd00/gamelog/2013/

Montee Ball:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BallMo00/gamelog//

Zac Stacy:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StacZa00/gamelog/2013/

Not saying Ball won anyone a fantasy league, but might have been worth a year-long roster spot depending on the composition of your league.

As with all NFL teams, they want to keep Locker up-right and that in part is making sure the RBs can pass-protect. It may take a few weeks, but does anyone honestly think Shonn Greene is getting more carries than Sankey by October?

Then again, maybe Sankey is a good player and it still takes him a while to fit in? It took super-star Jamaal Charles half way through his 2nd year before his owners started to reap the benefit: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CharJa00/gamelog/2009/

You never know?!?! My money is on the Titans having a good rushing attack all year long and Sankey being the lead ball carrier before too long.

JT

I have not completely dismissed anything but the silly notion Sankey is not worth a roster spot based on one game of pro ball. Sure, I would have liked to have seen him more involved than he was but it was one game which happened to be his first as a pro. I think we've seen enough examples of players who turn out to be good that didn't blow up in their first game.

My league champions are crowned in Week 16. I didn't assemble the teams I assembled based solely on how they were going to do Week 1.

I have not completely dismissed anything but the silly notion Sankey is not worth a roster spot based on one game of pro ball. Sure, I would have liked to have seen him more involved than he was but it was one game which happened to be his first as a pro. I think we've seen enough examples of players who turn out to be good that didn't blow up in their first game.

My league champions are crowned in Week 16. I didn't assemble the teams I assembled based solely on how they were going to do Week 1.
Good call. Some folks don't have the patience to wait for guys to develop. I do and my league's roster sizes allow me to do just that. Cheers.

Who am I?

3rd round pick, 3rd string to start his rookie year, 14 carries for 39 yards in his first 4 games, was the #3 RB over a 5 game stretch before getting injured.

Who am I?

3rd round pick, 3rd string to start his rookie year, 14 carries for 39 yards in his first 4 games, was the #3 RB over a 5 game stretch before getting injured.
Who are you? You're crazy for trying to compare Sankey to Demarco Murray.

Murray showed more in the single preseason game of his rookie year than Sankey did all 4 of his. Different type of players and much different talents IMO.

The day Sankey busts out for 250 yards, will be the day he's playing in the CFL.

No doubt, but it will help to be in position to get crowned if he contributes far earlier than week 16. Greene will go away eventually, but whether it will be soon enough to matter for redraft purposes is still somewhat indeterminate. Sankey's expected role perhaps hasn't exactly been as advertised in the early going. Greene isn't special, but recognizing and acknowledging that isn't mutually exclusive with thinking that some have underestimated him, imo. I'm not sure Sankey is special, either, I think of course he has a lot more upside than Green at this point, and it seems inevitable he will get his chance. I just also think he may not have as big a role FOR AS MUCH OF THIS SEASON as some seem to be expecting. I'm as interested as anybody to see what he can do when he gets the opportunity. I have pretty much every passing game principal on TEN in various leagues (Locker, Wright, Hunter and Walker), and am somewhat invested in the team, even if not in Sankey, so I hope he does well.

Who am I?

Murray showed more in the single preseason game of his rookie year than Sankey did all 4 of his. Different type of players and much different talents IMO.

The day Sankey busts out for 250 yards, will be the day he's playing in the CFL.
Sankey is a better RB than Murray - IMO...

Nothing crazy about that comparison...

How does one completely dismiss the fact that Sankey didn't get any action until the game was decided, and that in that scenario Greene ripped off much larger chunks of yardage than he did. Sankey is currently 4th on the RB depth chart in terms of use, and his draft position obviously has not affected the TEN coaching staff.TEN isn't going to give up on the guy, but given his usage yesterday in a real game, I'm not sure how any Sankey owner thinks that was in any way a positive statement on his immediate future other than utterly deluding one's self.
I have not completely dismissed anything but the silly notion Sankey is not worth a roster spot based on one game of pro ball. Sure, I would have liked to have seen him more involved than he was but it was one game which happened to be his first as a pro. I think we've seen enough examples of players who turn out to be good that didn't blow up in their first game.My league champions are crowned in Week 16. I didn't assemble the teams I assembled based solely on how they were going to do Week 1.
No doubt, but it will help to be in position to get crowned if he contributes far earlier than week 16. Greene will go away eventually, but whether it will be soon enough to matter for redraft purposes is still somewhat indeterminate. Sankey's expected role perhaps hasn't exactly been as advertised in the early going. Greene isn't special, but recognizing and acknowledging that isn't mutually exclusive with thinking that some have underestimated him, imo. I'm not sure Sankey is special, either, I think of course he has a lot more upside than Green at this point, and it seems inevitable he will get his chance. I just also think he may not have as big a role FOR AS MUCH OF THIS SEASON as some seem to be expecting. I'm as interested as anybody to see what he can do when he gets the opportunity. I have pretty much every passing game principal on TEN in various leagues (Locker, Wright, Hunter and Walker), and am somewhat invested in the team, even if not in Sankey, so I hope he does well.
Thanks for an intelligent post and not being a tool like some others.

We have 5 bench spots, dropping is a realistic option for a bench warmer if not on his jock like some others in this thread.

How does one completely dismiss the fact that Sankey didn't get any action until the game was decided, and that in that scenario Greene ripped off much larger chunks of yardage than he did. Sankey is currently 4th on the RB depth chart in terms of use, and his draft position obviously has not affected the TEN coaching staff.TEN isn't going to give up on the guy, but given his usage yesterday in a real game, I'm not sure how any Sankey owner thinks that was in any way a positive statement on his immediate future other than utterly deluding one's self.
I have not completely dismissed anything but the silly notion Sankey is not worth a roster spot based on one game of pro ball. Sure, I would have liked to have seen him more involved than he was but it was one game which happened to be his first as a pro. I think we've seen enough examples of players who turn out to be good that didn't blow up in their first game.My league champions are crowned in Week 16. I didn't assemble the teams I assembled based solely on how they were going to do Week 1.
Thanks for an intelligent post and not being a tool like some others.

We have 5 bench spots, dropping is a realistic option for a bench warmer if not on his jock like some others in this thread.
This is such an intelligent post. GoBirds sounds like a Rhodes Scholar!!

Titans figure to play the easiest schedule in 2014, with .427 opponent win percentage..

they play the Cowboys next,then a tougher game v. Bengals, Colts can be run on, Browns, Jags , Redskins, Texans..

as long as he stays productive AND healthy, Shonn Greene is here to stay..he might be the waiver pick up of the year..

Titans figure to play the easiest schedule in 2014, with .427 opponent win percentage..

they play the Cowboys next,then a tougher game v. Bengals, Colts can be run on, Browns, Jags , Redskins, Texans..

as long as he stays productive AND healthy, Shonn Greene is here to stay..he might be the waiver pick up of the year..
Careful no one on here wants to admit that.

Who am I?

Murray combined for 17/64/0 (3.8 YPC), 5/71/0 in his two rookie preseason games.

Sankey combined for 42/155/1 (3.7 YPC), 4/44/1 in his four preseason games.

Murray had also just finished up his junior year in college at Sankey's age (turns 22 on the 15th).

Faust said:
Can anyone summarize this? My speakers aren't working, so I can't hear any of what he's saying.
He's not startable in fantasy right now.
Will he be startable any time soon in your opinion?
Can't say he will as long as Greene is healthy and producing reasonably well. I would imagine that with McCluster only getting 29 yards on 9 carries that Sankey can cut into that but I'm not putting a timetable on when that will happen. Right now now I'm only looking for him to play well when he gets a chance.

Good call. Some folks don't have the patience to wait for guys to develop. I do and my league's roster sizes allow me to do just that. Cheers.
You just described a guy in my league who just dropped Zac Stacy for another (hotter) RB. :o

(This isn't as crazy as it sounds, as in this league we are restricted to carrying exactly four RBs until after the games in Week Two, when rosters are allowed to loosen up and the waiver wire lights up in earnest.)

The thing is, my RB4 is currently Bishop Sankey. As much as I'd like to carry him on the roster, I've got to give him up if I snag Zac -- which I intend to do. Good news: Sankey is likely to still be there for me to reacquire in about a week, as long as he doesn't have a huge performance this week.

Who am I?

Murray combined for 17/64/0 (3.8 YPC), 5/71/0 in his two rookie preseason games.

Murray had also just finished up his junior year in college at Sankey's age (turns 22 on the 15th).
Murray is a powerful speed guy who can be a bruiser and a burner.

Sankey is a finesse guy who just seems to run at one speed during the games.

Firstly, comparing 2 games to 4 doesn't really seem fair to Murray. I don't really see anything comparable between them, other than draft position. If you were trying to say Sankey could have the NFL trajectory of Murray, I think that's pretty far off. Fragile Felix and Tashard Choice wouldn't be able to keep Greene off the field either. Sankey is more of a cross between them than he is Murray IMO.

You just described a guy in my league who just dropped Zac Stacy for another (hotter) RB. :o (This isn't as crazy as it sounds, as in this league we are restricted to carrying exactly four RBs until after the games in Week Two, when rosters are allowed to loosen up and the waiver wire lights up in earnest.)

The thing is, my RB4 is currently Bishop Sankey. As much as I'd like to carry him on the roster, I've got to give him up if I snag Zac -- which I intend to do. Good news: Sankey is likely to still be there for me to reacquire in about a week, as long as he doesn't have a huge performance this week.
If he's your RB4, he's a great hold. But we've got guys here who drafted him as their RB2 and are still promoting him like a RB1. He was relegated to nothing more than cleanup duty in a blowout. I don't see anyone promoting dropping him, as some pro-Sankey guys seem to want to devolve the argument to after watching his week 1 role. It's disingenuous to say the least, but serves their purpose of distracting others instead of discussing what we actually saw.

Fantasy football is about projecting what is going to happen. Reporting what has obviously occurred in week 1 is meaningless information. People want to know what is going to happen.

Sankey IS GOING to be the starter there in very short order. Sharks go and get him!!!

Fantasy football is about projecting what is going to happen. Reporting what has obviously occurred in week 1 is meaningless information. People want to know what is going to happen.

Sankey IS GOING to be the starter there in very short order. Sharks go and get him!!!
i mean, you have been wrong thus far and dont appear to be correct here. there is nothing indicating sankey is in line for a big role anytime soon. lol at thinking that recent usage and recent data points arent relevant.

replace Greene with sankey and you have it correct

Who am I?

Firstly, comparing 2 games to 4 doesn't really seem fair to Murray. I don't really see anything comparable between them, other than draft position. If you were trying to say Sankey could have the NFL trajectory of Murray, I think that's pretty far off. Fragile Felix and Tashard Choice wouldn't be able to keep Greene off the field either. Sankey is more of a cross between them than he is Murray IMO.
Murray - 5-11 5/8", 213, 4.37 40 (1.52 10 split), 21 bench, 34.5" vertical, 10-10 broad, 4.18 SS, 7.28 3 cone

Sankey - 5-9 1/2", 209, 4.49 40 (1.53 10 split), 26 bench, 35.5" vertical, 10-06 broad, 4.00 SS, 6.75 3 cone

Murray has more top end split but through 20 yards Sankey was actually faster (2.51 vs 2.53). Besides the 40, the only thing Murray has on Sankey is 4" in the broad jump.

Your love for Sankey is getting kinda creepy.

Who am I?

Who are you? You're crazy for trying to compare Sankey to Demarco Murray.Murray showed more in the single preseason game of his rookie year than Sankey did all 4 of his. Different type of players and much different talents IMO.

Murray - 5-11 5/8", 213, 4.37 40 (1.52 10 split), 21 bench, 34.5" vertical, 10-10 broad, 4.18 SS, 7.28 3 cone

Sankey - 5-9 1/2", 209, 4.49 40 (1.53 10 split), 26 bench, 35.5" vertical, 10-06 broad, 4.00 SS, 6.75 3 cone

Murray has more top end split but through 20 yards Sankey was actually faster (2.51 vs 2.53). Besides the 40, the only thing Murray has on Sankey is 4" in the broad jump.
Yet Murray is bigger, plays tougher, and is quicker on the field in pads than Sankey. Those measurable Sankey put up in his underwear just haven't shown up thus far in the NFL. That's concerning to most of us. That while ignoring he's still #3 on the depth chart.

profootballfocus has some nice write-ups about Shonn Greene...basically,he's tearing it up compared to last season..

I don't think he's going away..

Curious how Sankey defenders are still reaching back to college performance or combine numbers. These are real games now and the only thing that matters is actual performance. You use that other information when you don't have other more compelling evidence to use. Now all that matters is how many quality reps he can carve out for himself and what he accomplishes in games

And what is it with using proven NFL talent - who Sankey's running to date does not resemble - as the comparable for Sankey. I'll bet I could find 10x as many RBs who have failed in the NFL who have much closer measurables to Sankey than Murray. It's like people who believe they are reincarnated - in past lives they were kings or major world figures. None of them were pickpockets, peons, or bums.

And for what it's worth, I'm still standing by my original prediction that he'll end up as a decent to low RB2 mired in a RBBC with an effective between the tackles runner in Greene. But he's got a ways to go right now just to get there.

Curious how Sankey defenders are still reaching back to college performance or combine numbers. These are real games now and the only thing that matters is actual performance. You use that other information when you don't have other more compelling evidence to use. Now all that matters is how many quality reps he can carve out for himself and what he accomplishes in games

And what is it with using proven NFL talent - who Sankey's running to date does not resemble - as the comparable for Sankey. I'll bet I could find 10x as many RBs who have failed in the NFL who have much closer measurables to Sankey than Murray. It's like people who believe they are reincarnated - in past lives they were kings or major world figures. None of them were pickpockets, peons, or bums.

And for what it's worth, I'm still standing by my original prediction that he'll end up as a decent to low RB2 mired in a RBBC with an effective between the tackles runner in Greene. But he's got a ways to go right now just to get there.

Who cares. I was never a Sankey fan and thought he was overrated but he has played one game. 350 posts later of his combine is great and I love him vs his combine is great but he is not. It is really riveting stuff in here.

Who cares. I was never a Sankey fan and thought he was overrated but he has played one game. 350 posts later of his combine is great and I love him vs his combine is great but he is not. It is really riveting stuff in here.
Has he given us anything else to talk about? Part of the problem, it seems, is that he's riding the pine. Hard to be riveting when there's nothing to discuss about him.

Users who are viewing this thread