What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (1 Viewer)

Curious how Sankey defenders are still reaching back to college performance or combine numbers. These are real games now and the only thing that matters is actual performance. You use that other information when you don't have other more compelling evidence to use. Now all that matters is how many quality reps he can carve out for himself and what he accomplishes in games

And what is it with using proven NFL talent - who Sankey's running to date does not resemble - as the comparable for Sankey. I'll bet I could find 10x as many RBs who have failed in the NFL who have much closer measurables to Sankey than Murray. It's like people who believe they are reincarnated - in past lives they were kings or major world figures. None of them were pickpockets, peons, or bums.

And for what it's worth, I'm still standing by my original prediction that he'll end up as a decent to low RB2 mired in a RBBC with an effective between the tackles runner in Greene. But he's got a ways to go right now just to get there.

Who cares. I was never a Sankey fan and thought he was overrated but he has played one game. 350 posts later of his combine is great and I love him vs his combine is great but he is not. It is really riveting stuff in here.
You'd probably feel more at home in the Josh Gordon thread. Have a great day.

Who am I?

3rd round pick, 3rd string to start his rookie year, 14 carries for 39 yards in his first 4 games, was the #3 RB over a 5 game stretch before getting injured.
Who are you? You're crazy for trying to compare Sankey to Demarco Murray.

Murray showed more in the single preseason game of his rookie year than Sankey did all 4 of his. Different type of players and much different talents IMO.

The day Sankey busts out for 250 yards, will be the day he's playing in the CFL.
Murray combined for 17/64/0 (3.8 YPC), 5/71/0 in his two rookie preseason games.

Sankey combined for 42/155/1 (3.7 YPC), 4/44/1 in his four preseason games.

Murray had also just finished up his junior year in college at Sankey's age (turns 22 on the 15th).
Murray is a powerful speed guy who can be a bruiser and a burner.

Sankey is a finesse guy who just seems to run at one speed during the games.

Firstly, comparing 2 games to 4 doesn't really seem fair to Murray. I don't really see anything comparable between them, other than draft position. If you were trying to say Sankey could have the NFL trajectory of Murray, I think that's pretty far off. Fragile Felix and Tashard Choice wouldn't be able to keep Greene off the field either. Sankey is more of a cross between them than he is Murray IMO.
This is kind of funny.

Were you calling Murray a powerful speed back when he could not beat out Julius Jones as a rookie.

There is some short term memory in here.

Murray's first 5 games as a rookie

-Game 1: 2 carries for 0 yards, 1 reception 13 yards

-Game 2: 6 carries 21 yards, 1 reception 4 yards

-Game 3: 2 carries 6 yards, 0 receptions

-Game 4: 4 carries 12 yards, 1 reception -1 yards

-Game 5: 11 carries 34 yards, 1 reception 7 yards

I am sure while watching Murray's games as a rookie people were spouting the same stuff about Murray that many of you in here are saying about Sankey. Before we rule out Sankey let's let the kid play.

I have compared Sankey to Shady Mccoy who is arguably one of the best rb's in the game today.

Shady Mccoy in 16 games as a rookie had 155 carries for 637 yards with 1 td, 40 receptions 308 yards and 0 td's.

There is a massive amount of over reaction so far. Sankey in dynasty still has a ton of value. His redraft value is on hold, but there is a lot of season left folks.

Who am I?

3rd round pick, 3rd string to start his rookie year, 14 carries for 39 yards in his first 4 games, was the #3 RB over a 5 game stretch before getting injured.
Who are you? You're crazy for trying to compare Sankey to Demarco Murray.Murray showed more in the single preseason game of his rookie year than Sankey did all 4 of his. Different type of players and much different talents IMO.

The day Sankey busts out for 250 yards, will be the day he's playing in the CFL.
Murray combined for 17/64/0 (3.8 YPC), 5/71/0 in his two rookie preseason games.

Sankey combined for 42/155/1 (3.7 YPC), 4/44/1 in his four preseason games.

Murray had also just finished up his junior year in college at Sankey's age (turns 22 on the 15th).
Murray is a powerful speed guy who can be a bruiser and a burner.

Sankey is a finesse guy who just seems to run at one speed during the games.

Firstly, comparing 2 games to 4 doesn't really seem fair to Murray. I don't really see anything comparable between them, other than draft position. If you were trying to say Sankey could have the NFL trajectory of Murray, I think that's pretty far off. Fragile Felix and Tashard Choice wouldn't be able to keep Greene off the field either. Sankey is more of a cross between them than he is Murray IMO.
Murray - 5-11 5/8", 213, 4.37 40 (1.52 10 split), 21 bench, 34.5" vertical, 10-10 broad, 4.18 SS, 7.28 3 cone

Sankey - 5-9 1/2", 209, 4.49 40 (1.53 10 split), 26 bench, 35.5" vertical, 10-06 broad, 4.00 SS, 6.75 3 cone

Murray has more top end split but through 20 yards Sankey was actually faster (2.51 vs 2.53). Besides the 40, the only thing Murray has on Sankey is 4" in the broad jump.
Yet Murray is bigger, plays tougher, and is quicker on the field in pads than Sankey. Those measurable Sankey put up in his underwear just haven't shown up thus far in the NFL. That's concerning to most of us. That while ignoring he's still #3 on the depth chart.
NOW he is, but what was he as a 21 year old?

Read this thread through Oct 2011 when people could only talk about the 'Cowboys RBBC mess'.

Curious how Sankey defenders are still reaching back to college performance or combine numbers. These are real games now and the only thing that matters is actual performance. You use that other information when you don't have other more compelling evidence to use. Now all that matters is how many quality reps he can carve out for himself and what he accomplishes in games

And what is it with using proven NFL talent - who Sankey's running to date does not resemble - as the comparable for Sankey. I'll bet I could find 10x as many RBs who have failed in the NFL who have much closer measurables to Sankey than Murray. It's like people who believe they are reincarnated - in past lives they were kings or major world figures. None of them were pickpockets, peons, or bums.

And for what it's worth, I'm still standing by my original prediction that he'll end up as a decent to low RB2 mired in a RBBC with an effective between the tackles runner in Greene. But he's got a ways to go right now just to get there.

You're talking out of both sides of your ***. He has played one NFL game and he looked good when he was in there. He has the skills to be a stud in this league - DEAL WITH IT!!!

You really gotta see the forest for the trees here guys. There's an obvious problem here: The coaches don't see him as starter material.

Take the careers so far of LaMichael James and Carlos Hyde for example. Both late 2nd round draft picks by the 49ers taken to backup a proven vet in Frank Gore. James wasn't able to beat out Hunter for the backup job his rookie year and never got higher than 3rd on the depth chart. While after one week, Hyde has essentially made James expendable and is now being talked about as heir apparent to Frank Gore.

It's one thing if Sankey was injured and didn't have a chance to prove himself in training camp/preseason. But he's had chances, and unfortunately for him, his career path is right now more Dr. James than Mr. Hyde. Skills or no skills, expecting Sankey to usurp Greene's role at this point is like expecting Christine Michael to suddenly enter a timeshare with Marshawn Lynch.

Last edited by a moderator:
chinawildman said:
You really gotta see the forest for the trees here guys. There's an obvious problem here: The coaches don't see him as starter material.

Take the careers so far of LaMichael James and Carlos Hyde for example. Both late 2nd round draft picks by the 49ers taken to backup a proven vet in Frank Gore. James wasn't able to beat out Hunter for the backup job his rookie year and never got higher than 3rd on the depth chart. While after one week, Hyde has essentially made James expendable and is now being talked about as heir apparent to Frank Gore.

It's one thing if Sankey was injured and didn't have a chance to prove himself in training camp/preseason. But he's had chances, and unfortunately for him, his career path is right now more Dr. James than Mr. Hyde. Skills or no skills, expecting Sankey to usurp Greene's role at this point is like expecting Christine Michael to suddenly enter a timeshare with Marshawn Lynch.
I think Lynch is a bit better than Greene.

chinawildman said:

Just like the Cowboys coaches didn't see DeMarco Murray as starter material?

chinawildman said:

This is a horrible example/comparison.

You are the one that can't see the forest between the trees...

chinawildman said:

they gave the starter role to felix jones who was a 24 yr old former first round pick that hadnt yet been able to stay healthy but had flashed some real ability over the course of his first 3 yrs. its a completely different situation from failing to beat out shonn greene.

chinawildman said:

Jones was a first round pick who had been with the Cowboys and was going into the season being handed the reins as the unquestioned starter. Murray was expected to be the backup regardless of how good he looked. Tashard Choice had also had reps in a starter role and proven himself capable as well.

Greene hasn't even carried the ball 80 times in a Titans uniform. What do the Titans owe him? What's even worse is that Sankey, the supposed "lightning" to Greene's "thunder" couldn't even beat out the other "lightning" guy, career backup Dexter McCluster.

If it gives you hope to compare Sankey to Murray, go for it. Not saying that it can't happen, but I haven't seen anything from Sankey skill-wise to make me think he's anything more than a Jahvid Best (which honestly at this point for Sankey owners isn't too bad).

jahvid best was a great player. he was explosive and productive. sankey has a long way to go for that sort of impact and i dont think he will ever be the type to threaten to take it to the house on any given play.

Only one game in, and people are already calling him a bust :lol:

I thought when you drafted Sankey you already assumed he wasnt going to get any run until later in the season...why the freak out now?

I thought when you drafted Sankey you already assumed he wasnt going to get any run until later in the season...why the freak out now?
people were drafting him in the 4th/5th round, no one was assuming he was going to be 4th string and unusable. he clearly wasn't worth the draft pick where he was being taken at

The Strawman argument yet again? Who is calling him a bust? Check the title of the thread. This was supposed to be a homage to the best RB in the 2014 draft. Early on we had numerous favorable comparisons of Sankey to McCoy, Rice, and a healthy Best. He was supposed to be a locked-in starter and bell cow RB. Some were assuring us he was a bonafide stud and that his 4th/5th round draft slot was a steal. Lately there have been direct comparisons to Murray.What has he shown in the NFL to date that supports any of that? And from what we have seen of him so far is spot on with the more objective scouting reports - he isn't good between the tackles, doesn't push the pile, goes down easily on first contact, doesn't have vision and imagination, and looks like part of a RBBC.

That's not to say he can't play in the NFL. He has a place as a valuable cog. But stud bell cow? Not remotely close right now.

The Strawman argument yet again? Who is calling him a bust? Check the title of the thread. This was supposed to be a homage to the best RB in the 2014 draft. Early on we had numerous favorable comparisons of Sankey to McCoy, Rice, and a healthy Best. He was supposed to be a locked-in starter and bell cow RB. Some were assuring us he was a bonafide stud and that his 4th/5th round draft slot was a steal. Lately there have been direct comparisons to Murray.What has he shown in the NFL to date that supports any of that? And from what we have seen of him so far is spot on with the more objective scouting reports - he isn't good between the tackles, doesn't push the pile, goes down easily on first contact, doesn't have vision and imagination, and looks like part of a RBBC.

That's not to say he can't play in the NFL. He has a place as a valuable cog. But stud bell cow? Not remotely close right now.

But you're doing exactly what you're trying to call out, right? He *can* be the best RB in the draft and not have an opportunity yet. For example, I suspect there aren't a majority of folks claiming Allen Hurns is the best WR from the last draft class (he wasn't even drafted) just because Sammy Watkins went 3/30 last week.

Now, I'm not saying this is actually the case either. I was high on Sankey and pretty down on Hyde based on O-line differences but I'm reversing course based on what I've seen so far. However we're one game into both of their careers so it's difficult to make any assumptions *either way*. I almost wish we could just lock this thread up until week 8 and then let Brewtown and all duke it out.

people were drafting him in the 4th/5th round, no one was assuming he was going to be 4th string and unusable. he clearly wasn't worth the draft pick where he was being taken at
This.

Him sucking is entirely different then him not even being used.

If the Titans don't feel comfortable using their 2nd rd rb (1st overall) for more then 10 snaps in a game, they made a ridiculously bad draft pick.

But you're doing exactly what you're trying to call out, right? He *can* be the best RB in the draft and not have an opportunity yet. .
By that logic, any RB in this draft class "can" be the best RB in this draft.

I'm basing my judgment from what we have seen so far in his play against NFL players, both on his team in how he gets an opportunity and opponents with what he does with the opportunity.

It's not wishful thinking or imagination. We've seen him in 5 games against NFL caliber defenses so far. His weaknesses are real, just as his strengths are real. It's almost amusing hearing him compared to proven NFL prime RB1s by the same people who say Greene sucks - and yet Sankey can't carve out a meaningful role. How exactly does one rationalize that?

But you're doing exactly what you're trying to call out, right? He *can* be the best RB in the draft and not have an opportunity yet. .

I'm basing my judgment from what we have seen so far in his play against NFL players, both on his team in how he gets an opportunity and opponents with what he does with the opportunity.

It's not wishful thinking or imagination. We've seen him in 5 games against NFL caliber defenses so far. His weaknesses are real, just as his strengths are real. It's almost amusing hearing him compared to proven NFL prime RB1s by the same people who say Greene sucks - and yet Sankey can't carve out a meaningful role. How exactly does one rationalize that?
You're correct--every player is still in the running effectively. I personally would discount the 4 preseason games a bit, but I don't have any problems with anyone using all of the data available to date. Hell, maybe Hurns is all of that 4/104/2 and more.

I suspect you know this: I'm certainly not trying to rationalize anything and I've already admitted to being wrong so far. I would say that Greene's numbers aren't all they seem but given he's up against some pretty weak defenses in the early part of the year I don't see him giving up his role any time soon. I think it's going to take an injury to get Sankey any meaningful touches before week 10 or so, or for the team to completely fall apart to the point of they might as well get the rookies some playing time.

I'm seriously considering dropping Sankey for McKinnon. Just seems like a clearer path to a starting role.

Why FBG had this guy so high on my draft sheet I will never know. If he was not getting any 1st team reps they should have caught that and not had him so high. I have both he and Greene but not too excited about either.

Why FBG had this guy so high on my draft sheet I will never know. If he was not getting any 1st team reps they should have caught that and not had him so high. I have both he and Greene but not too excited about either.
It's been 1 game.

I'm not saying that he is going to be Eddie Lacy or Gio Bernard, but neither of them set the world on fire in game 1.

If he was drafted to start immediately, that was a mistake. The plan should have been for him to be a ff factor in the 2nd half of the season.

From here on out i declare that he be known as 'Bustip Sucky; the man who took away good flex players from unsuspecting FBGs and ruined many a season along with his counterparts; Adrian Beaterson and Doug Sucktin.

FWIW--I just dropped Sankey in a 10 team ppr redraft for Gerhart (an owner dropped him assuming he was going to miss some major time). The funny thing is that I don't feel that great about the move. I drafted Sankey as my first bench rb--and had pretty much assumed his value would come a few weeks into the season--so I wouldn't be surprised if this move ends up costing me in the future.

Bottomline, if you drafted Sankey, you should have snagged Greene.

Rookies get so over-hyped, that the expectations become unattainable. Then after one or two weeks people bail. I remember when people were thinking Tre Mason was going to come into St Louis and immediately compete with Stacy for the starting job.......Nope! He's a dynasty stash, with hopes he'll develop into a total NFL RB.

Rookies get so over-hyped, that the expectations become unattainable. Then after one or two weeks people bail. I remember when people were thinking Tre Mason was going to come into St Louis and immediately compete with Stacy for the starting job.......Nope! He's a dynasty stash, with hopes he'll develop into a total NFL RB.
I don't think you had to draft Greene so much as had to draft him (assuming you drafted in late August) knowing that he wasn't going to be a viable start early in the year and it was a guy that you might have to wait a 4-6 weeks on to see how it plays out.

Who cares. I was never a Sankey fan and thought he was overrated but he has played one game. 350 posts later of his combine is great and I love him vs his combine is great but he is not. It is really riveting stuff in here.
You'd probably feel more at home in the Josh Gordon thread. Have a great day.
There's no chest beating trolls there? How times have changed.

Preseason numbers are quite meaningless.

Determining that a guy sucks after less than 10 carries of regular season work is a stretch.

It seems like you are deferring to the coaching staff, but I, and a lot of people in this thread, have little respect for the Wiz's intelligence and/or player evaluation skills.

It's been 1 game. I'm not saying that he is going to be Eddie Lacy or Gio Bernard, but neither of them set the world on fire in game 1.

If he was drafted to start immediately, that was a mistake. The plan should have been for him to be a ff factor in the 2nd half of the season.
Lacy didn't have a lot of carries week one but had a TD, had the concussion week 2, than was a workhorse from his third game on (missed a game due to the concussion protocol).

Bernard was getting 15 touches a game (with a few exceptions) by week 3.

Week 3 might be a good barometer to see if/how Sankey's work load is progressing relative to Lacy and Bernard at a comparable stage of their respective rookie seasons.

By that logic, any RB in this draft class "can" be the best RB in this draft.I'm basing my judgment from what we have seen so far in his play against NFL players, both on his team in how he gets an opportunity and opponents with what he does with the opportunity.

Preseason numbers are quite meaningless.

Determining that a guy sucks after less than 10 carries of regular season work is a stretch.

It seems like you are deferring to the coaching staff, but I, and a lot of people in this thread, have little respect for the Wiz's intelligence and/or player evaluation skills.
Well, unfortunately Wisenhunt makes the decisions. That ought to be a part of your evaluation.

And preseason numbers are meaningless. Watching a young player's ability and progression against NFL players in the preseason is not meaningless, as is seeing how his coaching staff uses him. Good FFers understand how to utilize preseason games.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky expects rookie RB Bishop Sankey's offensive role to "gradually grow."

Sankey was clearly behind Shonn Greene and Dexter McCluster Week 1, and only had two more touches than career return-man Leon Washington. He is buried on the depth chart, and may need an injury to either Greene or McCluster to earn significant playing time. Sankey is worth a stash, but he should not be in starting lineups Week 2.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 13 - 11:49 AM

Well, unfortunately Wisenhunt makes the decisions. That ought to be a part of your evaluation.
Of course. I, any many other Sankey owners, hope that he'll eventually utilize him or that he'll be forced to use him due to injury.

And preseason numbers are meaningless. Watching a young player's ability and progression against NFL players in the preseason is not meaningless, as is seeing how his coaching staff uses him. Good FFers understand how to utilize preseason games.
I'm a more than a little skeptical of someone's ability to assess a player's ability and progression based on a few carries in the preseason. Rare exceptions I can think of are cases where someone is comically bad or does things that are eye opening amazing and neither appears to be the case with Sankey.

Sounds like Ray Rice and Shane Vereen. I'll take it!!!

GoBirds said:
meatwad1 said:
From here on out i declare that he be known as 'Bustip Sucky; the man who took away good flex players from unsuspecting FBGs and ruined many a season along with his counterparts; Adrian Beaterson and Doug Sucktin.
How about Be Stankey?
Bigsuck Stanky

GoBirds said:
meatwad1 said:
How about Be Stankey?
:lol: That is actually much better.

To me, the alarming thing is that he got drafted by the current coaching staff, is a rb (rbs usually can contribute as rookies b/c it is the least complicated position), and is currently behind both Greene AND McCluster. Now, if he were on another team and was behind an established starter or even someone who had been in the program for a long time, I could understand that. But that is not the case here, even if you have not watched him once you know that he is behind Greene and McCluster, two rbs that could be described as journeymen at best. To me, that is the most damning evidence. A good example is Monte Ball, he was in a similar situation, yet still managed to be the primary back up. And for those of you who say Moreno was a journeyman, he was on the ropes certainly, but had still been with the program for three years, that counts for something, so it makes sense that he got the first shot.

I know it is early. I think today's game will tell us a lot. If he only gets in for like 3 carries, I would drop him in redraft. Dynasty is a whole 'nother animal, because who knows what happens next year.

To me, the alarming thing is that he got drafted by the current coaching staff, is a rb (rbs usually can contribute as rookies b/c it is the least complicated position), and is currently behind both Greene AND McCluster. Now, if he were on another team and was behind an established starter or even someone who had been in the program for a long time, I could understand that. But that is not the case here, even if you have not watched him once you know that he is behind Greene and McCluster, two rbs that could be described as journeymen at best. To me, that is the most damning evidence. A good example is Monte Ball, he was in a similar situation, yet still managed to be the primary back up. And for those of you who say Moreno was a journeyman, he was on the ropes certainly, but had still been with the program for three years, that counts for something, so it makes sense that he got the first shot.

I know it is early. I think today's game will tell us a lot. If he only gets in for like 3 carries, I would drop him in redraft. Dynasty is a whole 'nother animal, because who knows what happens next year.
How do you like him compared to Hill in Cin?

How do you like him compared to Hill in Cin?
I like Hill way better because the coaches have emphatically stated that he will be sharing time with Gio (I also have no bias here because I own Gio). I watched a good deal of the last game and I think he got shorted carries because it was a close game in the division, and the coaches probably did not want to risk a turnover due to butterflies. If he is on your waiver, I would think hard about grabbing him right now as a lottery ticket, as he will produce good numbers some weeks and will be a STUD in any game that Gio misses. I will admit, I only watched Stanky in one preseason game and he looked sort of 'meh'. I just think he would have gotten more burn last week if the coaches thought more of him.

Like I said though, we will see. Greene pretty much did nothing last week, so there might be a reversal of fortune here. I would be leery if he does not get touches in a game against a non - conference opponent that has an atrocious defense.

RhymesMcJuice said:
For those 7 PPR points (#47 RB) week 1?
He's the starter. He had 15 for 70 or something like that. He could easily have a TD or two this week against Dallas' porous D.

Greene is not a shiny new toy, but he may be a stop gap when he has a decent matchup. Especially in 12 or more team leagues

Starting him in FFPC today (no Doug Martin) - praying he gets more chances than last week!!!!

If given significant carries - I have NO DOUBT he will produce!

Week 2 Distribution

Greene (5-40, 8 yards per carry)

McCluster (4-30, 7.5 yards per carry)

Locker (2-9, 4.5 yards per carry)

Sankey (2-3, 1.5 yards per carry)

Users who are viewing this thread