What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Chess Time Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Officer Pete Malloy said:
So is this like Words with friends where you might wait 4 days before the other guy moves?
I've quickly learned that I can get away with playing Scramble/WWF when I'm drunk.. when I try that with chess I wake up the next morning and realize half my pieces are gone. :bag:

:banned:

I timed out of a bunch of games. Sorry. Family stuff comes first and I ignored my phone yesterday. I'm thinking that the 24 hour game won't work for me going forward....

I timed out of a bunch of games. Sorry. Family stuff comes first and I ignored my phone yesterday. I'm thinking that the 24 hour game won't work for me going forward....
you can choose as many as 4-5 days per move, no big deal brah

This is the best I've ever played against Mr. Pickles. I actually had a middlegame advantage. But of course, I blundered it away. My tactics are just too weak for him.

This is the best I've ever played against Mr. Pickles. I actually had a middlegame advantage. But of course, I blundered it away. My tactics are just too weak for him.
I don't think you had an advantage here (maybe slight if any), but middlegame is where you typically fall apart. Your opening defense is very strong.

I don't think you had an advantage here (maybe slight if any), but middlegame is where you typically fall apart. Your opening defense is very strong.
Western amateurs play the opening like grandmasters, the middlegame like experts and the endgame like beginners.

Have Joffer or Pickles lost yet? Is there a way to see who's beaten who?

Pickles not only crushed me, but destroyed all hope. I had nothing for him. We could play a hundred times and I don't think I'd win a game.

I'm realizing that when I understand the problem I should be trying to solve I do OK. But between the initial moves and the end game I often don't know what I should try to accomplish.

I get into decent positions when I don't blunder (above my rating I think), but then don't really know what to do next against good players. Seems like I just end up absorbing pressure and looking for counter play and often don't know how/where to attack. (Which is pretty much where I'll be against Joffer in another move or two.)

What would you read up on to get better on that? Middle-game strategy?

Have Joffer or Pickles lost yet? Is there a way to see who's beaten who?

Pickles not only crushed me, but destroyed all hope. I had nothing for him. We could play a hundred times and I don't think I'd win a game.

I'm realizing that when I understand the problem I should be trying to solve I do OK. But between the initial moves and the end game I often don't know what I should try to accomplish.

I get into decent positions when I don't blunder (above my rating I think), but then don't really know what to do next against good players. Seems like I just end up absorbing pressure and looking for counter play and often don't know how/where to attack. (Which is pretty much where I'll be against Joffer in another move or two.)

What would you read up on to get better on that? Middle-game strategy?
Pickles has not lost yet. I'm trying again. I beat Joffer once, and drew him once.

Right now I've got losses to Pickles, Tim, Joffer and Bender (who all outclass me), but am 10-0 otherwise. If anyone else is sort of in-between groupings hit me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western amateurs play the opening like grandmasters, the middlegame like experts and the endgame like beginners.
Oh $#!t it's Spassky.

I can take another game. Probably not the super elite upper tier of Pickles/Tim/Joffer, etc.

Preferably someone who doesn't mind a slower game. Full disclosure - I will probably take awhile to make moves. I'd prefer 2-3 days/move, though it should not take me that long to actually make moves. I have been playing relatively quickly cause I've been home this week but won't have time to play while at work. TIA.

How do you work on your middle/late strategies? I often find myself thinking "WTF am I doing?"
I was really helped out by a couple of wonderful books by Jeremy Silman- How to Reassess Your Chess, and his book about Amateurs. I also had the pleasure of meeting Silman.

What you want to do is visualize where your pieces should be optimally, and then figure out the best way to get them there, while at the same time frustrating your opponent's plans and watching out for tactical blunders that will lose you the game (this last is the hardest for me, as Pickles has discovered to his advantage.) This is not easy to do, obviously, but Silman's books are very instructive. I highly recommend them.

I dropped a Romanov triple-3 on Tim in an earlier game followed by a 55598 441 combo. Poor guy didn't know what hit him. In response the best he could come up with was a Markush group followed by an Estonian Lockdown. :lmao:

Noob

Users who are viewing this thread