What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Paxton Lynch Thread*** Seahawks backup QB (2 Viewers)

Adam Caplan
@caplannflNothing official yet, but expectation from some in scouting community is that Memphis QB Paxton Lynch will wind up declaring for the draft.

1:09 PM - 9 Dec 2015
Matt Barkley and Cardale Jones and others lost millions by not declaring early.

Still too early to know for certain but right now he looks like he will be the 2nd QB off the board. Staying an extra year wouldn't overcome the risk/reward of decreasing/increasing draft stock before factoring injury risk so this is a wise move IMHO.

Mike Mayock finally broke down and has a twitter account ( https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeMayock ). He just posted a link to a podcast he did recently where he was asked about next year's draft class. The host asked him if he felt their could be one or more NFL franchise QBs in this draft class and it began an interesting conversation.

They mentioned the top three guys and Mayock said he recently saw tape on Carson Wentz and he was impressed. They dug a little deeper into which QB prospects they felt could be franchise guys and they seemed to think this could be a really good QB class and they think that their are two or three legitimate franchise quarterbacks in this draft class.

As they spoke about the QBs the conversation went to and lingered on Paxton Lynch who they all seemed intriuged by before the host wrapped up the topic by stating that the Cleveland Browns would take Lynch with the first pick of next year's draft.

Its premature to start plugging in picks since the Browns haven't locked up the top pick and I'm sure rankings will flucuate yet its very-possible that Lynch 'could' be the first pick next April.

Skip forward through the first 7 minutes of idle chatter. They begin the QB conversation around the 10 minute mark that only lasts for about 2 minutes so its a quick listen.

LINK >> http://www.sports790.com/onair/the-proper-gentlemen-of-sports-52356/mike-mayock-on-the-proper-gentleman-14188620/

Mike Mayock from the NFL Network joined The Proper Gentleman of Sports and discussed the Texans' upcoming Sunday Night Football game against the Patriots, the NFL Draft, and much more.

Bracie Smathers said:
Adam Caplan
@caplannflNothing official yet, but expectation from some in scouting community is that Memphis QB Paxton Lynch will wind up declaring for the draft.

1:09 PM - 9 Dec 2015
Matt Barkley and Cardale Jones and others lost millions by not declaring early.

Still too early to know for certain but right now he looks like he will be the 2nd QB off the board. Staying an extra year wouldn't overcome the risk/reward of decreasing/increasing draft stock before factoring injury risk so this is a wise move IMHO.
Goff is a statue, Lynch should go first since he's a better fit in today's league.

Waldman and Dave Igono just put on an in-depth 2 hour Rookie Scouting Portfolio film room study on Paxton Lynch yesterday.

Haven't gotten the time to check this out but posting for anyone seeking info on P-Lynch because a few people will want to find out more and this is a good source.

----------------------------

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/12/10/rsp-film-room-no-66-paxton-lynch-wdavid-igono/

RSP Film Room No.66: Paxton Lynch w/David IgonoBy Matt Waldman 1 day ago
...Paxton Lynch. The physical tools are NFL caliber–some of them straight-up tantalizing. The quarterbacking traits also have promise. This is a long film session (2 hours)

...Thoughts on Lynch from the session:

• Even with a specific mechanical flaw with his legs that limits the potential of his velocity and accuracy, Lynch’s arm talent is evident.
  • We discuss decision-making as a leadership skill and why good intentions in a difficult situation can contribute to poor leadership.
  • Memphis’ offense does not have a great deal of progression reads, but Lynch shines when it is a part of the play.
  • Where Lynch potentially offers a valuable skill when plays veer off structure that Aaron Rodgers possesses.
  • Factors behind Lynch’s spotty ball placement on short routes.
  • Ball placement, touch, and Lynch’s height.
  • The importance of quick decision-making in the red zone.

Rotoworld:

Memphis junior QB Paxton Lynch went No. 2 to the Browns in Todd McShay's first 2016 mock draft.

So long as Cleveland keeps losing, it figures to have its pick of the QB litter (the Titans are obviously out of the signal-calling market). "He has not yet declared for the draft -- and I still have a lot of work to do on him in terms of analyzing his work ethic, leadership skills, mental makeup and durability history -- but Lynch has the physical skills to develop into a good starting NFL QB, which Cleveland needs," McShay wrote. The 6-foot-6, 225-pound Lynch has a 69 percent completion rate with a 28/3 TD/INT rate.

Source: ESPN Insider

Dec 16 - 4:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Auburn senior LB Justin Garrett said that the Birmingham Bowl is "an opportunity to go against a Top 5 draft pick [in Memphis junior QB Paxton Lynch] for our defense"

The two Tiger squads will clash on December 30. While there's no sponsor attached to the Birmingham Bown (small wonders in this world), Auburn's players aren't down on their placement. Garrett indicated that Lynch's mere presence in the game "motivates [him] enough just to get out there and go hard every day." HC Gus Malzahn's certainly impressed by the 6-foot-6, 225-pound gunslinger. "What stands out to me is their quarterback, Paxton Lynch, a big guy, athletic guy with 28 touchdowns and three interceptions [and] that's phenomenal." In ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay's initial mock draft posted last Wednesday, he has Lynch being drafted by the Browns with the second overall selection.

Source: The Anniston Star

Dec 21 - 9:30 PM

I hadn't watched Lynch before the Auburn game. I watched his highlights, and the Ole Miss game after seeing this one. And really, other than body size I don't see why people think he's the best QB in the draft, or even the second-best.

His biggest issue in transitioning to the pros is that he has poor pocket presence; if he doesn't get the ball out in three seconds, he ducks away from phantom pressure or immediately rolls out. He's not athletic enough to punish NFL teams with his legs like a Russell Wilson, so you'd rather have him in the pocket, although he does throw well when rolling out to his right.

His arm strength is solid, but his ball placement on both short and long throws is not top-notch.

He finished his season by losing four of five, with the only win coming against a 2-10 SMU team, and ended with a terrible game against a bad Auburn defense (#90 in FBS) that was missing its best player. He's in the unenviable position of having to choose in the next three weeks whether to declare for the draft, not knowing how much his late-season flameout will drop his stock.

My take is that he'll still declare, but will drop from the top QB spot, and possibly even below Cook, which could put him at the end of the first round or even in the second round.

Agreed. Not much he did against Auburn, if anything at all, said he should be the top QB off the board. Of the rankings I have seen he at best slid down to 3

Agreed. Not much he did against Auburn, if anything at all, said he should be the top QB off the board. Of the rankings I have seen he at best slid down to 3
He could have played his way right out of the 1st round with that stinker. The egg he laid makes Goff even more likely to go #1 via trade. Simple throws to the flat were consistently low. Receivers had to go own to get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Pro Football Focus analyst Steve Palazzolo omitted Memphis redshirt junior QB Paxton Lynch from his second mock draft, noting that "he’s often inaccurate when asked to throw the ball with velocity and that’s a concern."

"The general perception," Palazzolo wrote, "is that Lynch is a first-round talent, and while his development since his freshman year is encouraging, he’s not a lock to go in the top 32." The PFF analyst went on to note that Lynch's accuracy on intermediate throws and throws outside of the numbers was just 49%. That was one of the worst marks in the country. Ouch. That being said, Palazzolo isn't completely out on Lynch, calling him "a candidate to rise in the process as we further our evaluations." It should be noted that some analysts are much, much higher on the 6-foot-6, 225-pound gunslinger, with Mel Kiper Jr. slotting him in at No. 15 to the Los Angeles Rams in his latest mock.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Jan 14 - 8:40 PM

I've done some research on Pax and I've heard from people who are really down on him and they made some good points so I listened.

I still love his raw physical skills but he is a guy who needs a lot of work before he's ready to start.

Sitting behind an older veteran QB like a Romo or a Rivers or even an Eli Manning. QBs who still should have another solid two-three years would be the ultimate landing spot IMHO.

Worst scenario for Lynch would be to get rushed into starting too soon. I think it would be a disaster if he was forced to start as a rookie so for his sake I hope he lands on a team where their wouldn't be that sort of pressure.

Rotoworld:

Per NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks, Memphis QB Paxton Lynch is a "wild card of the [quarterback] pack as an ultra-talented playmaker with remarkable athleticism for his size."

Wrote Brooks, "[Lynch] struggled down the stretch, but a strong performance in workouts could send his stock soaring heading into draft day." To Brooks' point, the 6-foot-6, 225-pound gunslinger surpassed 300 yards passing in eight of his first 10 contests, but was held under 200 yards in two of his final three games (including a 16-of-36, 106-yard stinker against Auburn in the Birmingham Bowl.) While Cal QB Jared Goff's stock has remained steady and NDSU QB Carson Wentz's hype has spiked through the roof, Lynch has been something of a forgotten man through the first month of the draft process. Several mock drafts, including those of NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein and CBS Sports' Dane Brugler, have pegged Lynch to the Los Angeles Rams at No. 15. The quarterback himself has indicated that he has no problem learning on the bench for a year.

Source: NFL.com

Jan 29 - 9:06 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay cautioned that Memphis QB Paxton Lynch has several cracks in his armor.

In his most recent mock draft, McShay has Lynch heading to the bright lights of LA at pick No. 15, owned by the Rams. But it's not all sunglasses and supermodels. Wrote Brugler, "Two concerns I have early in the pre-draft process: his inconsistent decision-making and accuracy." The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder does have "a lot of the tools you look for in future NFL starters -- size, arm strength, mobility and the ability to create when the initial play breaks down" in Brugler's eyes, but the analyst isn't sure whether Lynch represents the long-term answer for the quarterback-hungry Rams.

Source: ESPN Insider

Feb 4 - 9:06 PM

Rotoworld:

Rotoworld's Josh Norris pegs Memphis QB Paxton Lynch as the No. 27 prospect in the 2016 NFL Draft.

"Fulfills and offers many of the buzzwords. Height, arm, mobility, velocity, etc.," Norris wrote. "There are games where he puts all of the tools together, namely Ole Miss in 2015. Then there are other contests where he looks out of sorts. With quarterbacks, unless I think they can be quality starters early in their careers I tier them after the 'first-round' worthy prospects." Norris believes Lynch made himself a lot of money on that afternoon against the Rebels, when all of those tools came together into a cohesive package. That tape provided the NFL with plenty to dream on.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks compares Memphis QB Paxton Lynch to Ryan Tannehill.
"Ultra-athletic big-bodied passer with rare physical tools. Lynch is an electric dual-threat playmaker capable of delivering explosive plays with his arm or legs," Brooks wrote. "The 6-foot-7, 245-pounder throws the ball to every area of the field with exceptional zip and velocity. He fires fastballs to the boundary from the opposite hash, which suggests he has more than enough arm strength to play at the next level. As a runner, Lynch shows exceptional speed, quickness and power for a man of his size." As for the negatives, Brooks says pro scouts are concerned that Lynch might be a product of a "pick and stick" system at Memphis, living on bubble screens, quicks and "RPOs" (run-pass options). Can Lynch make complex reads? The analyst sees the 49ers, Rams, Texans, Jets and Broncos as potential clubs who may want to find out.

Source: NFL.com
Feb 25 - 2:36 PM

This thread is like a synopsis of the hype machine. Started off with discovery. Quickly blew up into the stratosphere. Declaration of #1 overall pick is assured even as late as 12/10. Then he plays one bad bowl game and he can't play in the NFL. He's overrated. Plays scared. 

Amazing really.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Memphis QB Paxton Lynch said of the perception that he's the third-best quarterback in the 2016 class, "There’s always something there to put a chip on your shoulder and drive yourself to work even harder."
Said Lynch, "That’s how it’s been for me since I came out of high school. I mean, I didn’t have any offers." Chip on the shoulder aside, the 6-foot-7, 245-pound former Tiger indicated that he's excited to throw with Cal's Jared Goff and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, calling it a "no-brainer" that he was going to throw. Of perhaps more tangible importance, Lynch admitted that "a team or two" were "spooked" by his combine medical checkup, as X-rays showed a piece of bone stemming from a previous fractured collarbone "just floating around in there." He dismissed the piece of bone floating around in there, noting that "none of the injuries bother [him] today."

Source: Akron Beacon Journal 
Feb 26 - 8:12 PM

He did a segment with Billick and a couple other hosts just now. He ran a drill and answered questions. Very articulate and had a sense of humor. Good personality for an NFL QB. 

Obviously a 5 min segment means very little but it's nice that he didn't shy away from the spotlight and even joked about the Auburn game.

Insein said:
This thread is like a synopsis of the hype machine. Started off with discovery. Quickly blew up into the stratosphere. Declaration of #1 overall pick is assured even as late as 12/10. Then he plays one bad bowl game and he can't play in the NFL. He's overrated. Plays scared. 

Amazing really.

During the NFL Network telecast of the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday, analyst Mike Mayock said, "I felt like [Memphis QB] Paxton Lynch, it didn't come out as good as expected."
Mayock had a very specific note for Lynch. Said the analyst, "I think the transition with the footwork has to get more consistent." The 6-foot-6, 225-pounder's somewhat flawed performance in throwing drills was made all the more glaring in the face of the strong performances from NDSU's Carson Wentz and Cal's Jared Goff. "This is kinda what I expected of him ... big arm, and athletic kid. The more snaps he gets, the better he's going to be," Mayock concluded of Lynch. The former Tiger was already being viewed as something of a project prior to the combine. It's not a huge surprise that he wasn't quite as polished in his throwing as Goff or Wentz.

Feb 27 - 7:09 PM

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn "[t]here's stuff [Memphis QB Paxton Lynch] doesn't see but, boy, is he a great athlete for a big guy."
"[Lynch]'s got good feet and can make all the throws," the scout said of the 6-foot-6, 225-pound Memphis product. While that scout likes Lynch's feet, NFL Media's Mike Mayock was critical of Lynch's footwork during throwing drills at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday, saying on the NFL Network's telecast of the event that "the transition with the footwork has to get more consistent." Meanwhile, another anonymous scout told McGinn that Lynch is a "[p]retty good athlete for a big kid. Excellent size. He's got a big ceiling." That same scout is not keen on this quarterback class, though, referring to it as "weird" and saying that "[n]one of them are Pro Bowl-caliber type quarterbacks." He went on to indicate that he would have drafted last year's top two QB prospects (Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston) over any of the gunslingers in this class.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Since Ourlads began monitoring throwing velocity at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2008, Memphis QB Paxton Lynch's 59-mph number is the third-best recorded.

Outwardly, that's awesome, because throwing the ball hard is a neat thing. It's not necessarily indicative of NFL success, though. Look no further than the two young men who threw the ball harder than Lynch over the last eight years. Those would be Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech in 2014 and Bryan Bennett of Southeastern Louisiana in 2015, who both hit 60 mph. Thomas was drafted in the fourth round by the Cardinals and remains the definition of a project while Bennett was not drafted and is currently a free agent. The 6-foot-6, 225-pound Lynch is considered a better prospect than both of those players and should be drafted within the first two rounds.

Mar 3 - 9:09 PM

Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Memphis QB Paxton Lynch as the No. 60 prospect in the NFL Draft.
"There are games where he puts all of the tools together, namely Ole Miss in 2015," Norris wrote. "Then there are other contests where he looks out of sorts." Most are higher on the 6-foot-7, 244-pound gunslinger than Norris is, but Lynch's arrow has undoubtedly been pointing down ever since he faceplanted against Auburn in the bowl game.

Source: Rotoworld 
Mar 14 - 11:34 PM

Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar likened Memphis QB Paxton Lynch to Brock Osweiler.

"In a copycat league, does the combination of Joe Flacco’s success as a tall quarterback from outside the power conferences and Brock Osweiler’s recent mega-contract with the Texans give Lynch an advantage? It’s hard to say, but there is a lot to like about his potential," Farrar wrote. So why doesn't he comp Lynch to the surer thing Flacco? "Flacco was ready to go from his first season out of Delaware, and I don’t think Lynch is at that level—more likely, he'd benefit greatly from time with a team that would let him sit and learn, as Osweiler was able to do for four years under Peyton Manning," Farrar wrote. "Lynch has all the necessary physical tools; it’s just a matter of putting the little things together over time." Rotoworld's Josh Norris isn't as high on Lynch as others, pegging him the No. 60 prospect in the class.

Source: Sports Illustrated 
Mar 15 - 8:49 PM

In NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein's latest mock draft, he projects Memphis QB Paxton Lynch to be selected by the Broncos at pick No. 31.
One of the more fascinating aspects of following Big Boards and mock drafts is in the watch for trends. Lynch to the Broncos is one of the strongest we've seen in recent times. Not only does Zierlein mock him to Denver, but in the past month alone, the case is similar in the dust-ups of Rotoworld's Josh Norris and CBS Sports' Rob Rang. Sports Illustrated's Doug Farrar also comped him to former Broncos QB Brock Osweiler earlier in March. The Eagles are another team that's risen in relation to the 6-foot-7, 244-pounder of late, with an NFC scout telling NJ.com that Philly's best fit would be with Lynch at No. 8 (if they're going to draft a quarterback), while CBS Sports' Pete Prisco also linked Lynch to the City of Brotherly Love in an early March mock.

Mar 22 - 11:04 PM

mock drafts are so useless.  doesn't stop me from reading them but none of those guys have a clue.

Memphis assistant head coach Darrell Dickey indicated that QB Paxton Lynch did not play in an offense that allowed much improvisation.
"We didn’t do a whole lot of checking at the line of scrimmage, no reading blitzes and making protection adjustments, but [Lynch]’s very capable of doing that," Dickey said. He hit on one of the major reasons why the 6-foot-7, 244-pound Lynch is viewed as a first or second-round project, rather than a surefire first-round lock. "He could give a receiver a different route, but he didn’t have the freedom to do whatever he wanted." We've heard a number of draft ranges for Lynch, from the Eagles selecting him at No. 8 (a scout told NJ.com that this was the best play for Philly if they want a quarterback) to the Broncos scooping him up at No. 31. He could also fall out of the first round completely. The only two quarterbacks (more or less) locked in for the first round are North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz and Cal QB Jared Goff.

Source: MMQB
Mar 25 - 6:06 PM

Amazing really.
This.

If you watch Wentz and Lynch games back to back, I dunno if Wentz stands out so much better.  People get embarrassed when they hype a guy and they swing to far the other way.  He's underrated now.  

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch visiting the Jets on April 14.
Lynch's offense at Memphis does not translate easily to the NFL, as he played in a predominately catch and release or leave the pocket system. However, Lynch's "tools" could fit Chan Gailey's style extremely well, as Gailey loves to spread the field with four receivers and attack every level. Gailey has previously looked for athleticism at the position, and Lynch definitely has that. Lynch might be available in the second round.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter 
Apr 1 - 8:49 AM

Users who are viewing this thread