What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Paxton Lynch Thread*** Seahawks backup QB (2 Viewers)

He has the size, huge with huge hands, and legitimate arm talent.  In college, he was in an odd offense that didn't take advantage of his big gun.  

If you took the time to study Matt Waldman's two-hour tape dissection, you saw that he made a lot of strong throws off-balance or with no platform but his footwork was wonky.  In the Pro Day they were raving about 'how improved' his footwork was and he did show quickness and fleet feet and it was the perfect opportunity to show off his big arm.  

Look at the clip of his Pro Day if you haven't seen it.  He has been putting in the work and it has paid off.  

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/At-Pro-Day-a-more-polished-Paxton-Lynch-shows-off-workmanlike-attitude/8b295905-b7eb-493e-9f82-898f3d1cabb2

At Pro Day, a more polished Paxton Lynch shows off workmanlike attitude

Rotoworld's Josh Norris is still concerned about Memphis QB Paxton Lynch's transition to the NFL based on what he showed at the college level.
Lynch is a buzzword quarterback: he's big, has a strong arm and is mobile. He is also a very good downfield thrower, possession accuracy and velocity to hurt defenses in the deeper portions of the field. However, Lynch played in a catch and release offense, meaning he left the pocket quickly if his first, sometimes second, read was not open. That does not equal sustained success in the NFL, as Lynch rarely worked from a confined pocket, showing poise and patience while facing pressure.

An NFL evaluator noted the following about Memphis QB Paxton Lynch's tremendous Pro Day workout: "All that tends to go out the window when you see a 300-pounder coming down on you."
Lynch zipped 69 passes through 25-mph winds and showed footwork that SI reports evaluators deemed significantly improved. That's all fine and dandy, but we have the same concerns as the evaluator. Lynch was basically never asked to reach a third progression in college. Often, he didn't even get to a second. This is pretty simple, folks: Either he learns to do that while keeping his composure and mechanics while bullets are flying -- and boy, that won't be easy in the pros -- or he busts.

Source: MMQB 
Apr 7 - 4:08 PM

really surprised he didn't get a draft invite.  For a potential top 15 or even 10 guy to have his name called and not come up says a lot.  Sounds like he's not expected to go top 20

Lynch to the Jets would be great, I think.  Chan Gailey made Fitz a Pro Bowler, give him this kid for a couple years?  Solid.

FWIW, Football Outsiders' QBASE system is relatively high on Goff. Lynch? ... well, not so much.

Paxton Lynch (Memphis)

Mean Projection in Years 3-5:

104 DYAR

Bust (< 500 DYAR)

67.2%

Adequate Starter (500-1499 DYAR)

21.3%

Upper Tier (1500-2500 DYAR)

8.7%

Elite (>2500 DYAR)

2.9%

At first blush, Lynch's 2015 numbers (66.8 percent completion rate, 8.5 YPA, 28 TD, 4 INT) look promising. The bloom comes off the rose, however, when you correct for Lynch running up his numbers against the No. 86 slate of opposing defenses. While QBASE finds enough in the raw numbers for prospects such as Ben Roethlisberger to produce a high projection despite weak competition, Lynch's stats do not quite rise to that bar.

Even with QBASE's pessimism about Lynch's outlook, the projection gives him about a 33 percent chance of being at least an adequate starter. Quarterbacks with those odds of success have historically gone in the second round, so the projection would view it as a reach if, as some mock drafts currently suggest, the Broncos selected him with their first-round pick.

ESPN's Steve Muench likened Memphis QB Paxton Lynch to Brock Osweiler of the Houston Texans.

Osweiler measured the same height and only two pounds lighter than Lynch coming into the NFL. "Both have above-average arm strength and pocket mobility, though I would give Lynch a slight edge in both," Muench wrote. Like

Osweiler, who didn't start until his fourth NFL season in the NFL, Muench believes Lynch will need to spend time on the bench because he's "still learning to read defenses and he misses the open man at times." Lynch visited the Ravens on Tuesday. He's also visited the Cowboys, Chargers, Broncos, Cardinals, Saints, Jets and Eagles.

Source: ESPN.com

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch's agent, Leigh Steinberg, went after ESPN's Todd McShay, who said the QB prospect is not a first-round talent, among other things.
Agent Twitter was in full force, but rarely does a big name like Steinberg enter the fray. "Hope public knows that Todd McShay, self-proclaimed draft guru never played, coached, scouted in college or NFL," Steinberg tweeted. This isn't completely true, as McShay was a quarterback on the Richmond football team for years before becoming an undergraduate coach. He has also been doing his job for years. Yes, we all have missed on evaluations, but this look for Steinberg is not an attractive one. The agent later semi-apologized by tweeting "Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I regret responding to McShay's toxic assessment of Paxton by bringing up his background." We agree that Lynch should not be selected in the first round.

Source: Leigh Steinberg on Twitter 
Apr 22 - 10:28 AM

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein believes Memphis QB Paxton Lynch "will fly up the draft board" prior to this coming Thursday.
Now that the Rams and Eagles are settled in at 1-2 and prepared to take quarterbacks, other QB-needy organizations will jockey to get into a position to grab Lynch. Where will he wind up? Earlier than expected. " The Browns could take him with the No. 8 pick or we could see a team target Lynch in a trade-up, maybe even to that eighth slot," Zierlein wrote.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 22 - 5:58 PM

The Browns could take him with the No. 8 pick or we could see a team target Lynch in a trade-up, maybe even to that eighth slot," Zierlein wrote.
If the Browns follow up bending the Eagles over a barrel by trading down again for another bounty of picks so that some team can reach about two rounds for Lynch, the city of Cleveland should throw their front office a parade.

Pro Football Focus noted that when under pressure, Memphis QB Paxton Lynch has a 70.3% accuracy percentage.
Compare that 70.3% mark to the ones posted by Carson Wentz and Jared Goff under pressure and Lynch is far and away the most impressive. Wentz logged an accuracy percentage of just 54.7%, while Goff split the middle between Wentz and Lynch with an accuracy percentage of 64.7%. Goff and Wentz are expected to be selected at No.'s 1 and 2 in one order or another. Lynch, meanwhile, could draw consideration as a top-10 pick once the other two gunslingers are off the board.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Apr 24 - 12:52 PM

The MMQB's Peter King reports there is "lots of buzz" that Browns head coach Hue Jackson is "advocating" for Memphis QB Paxton Lynch.
King does not make the pick connection in his mock draft, but the buzz is obviously noteworthy. The Browns passed on their opportunity to select a quarterback at No. 2, and now the question is what area of they draft they feel comfortable selecting a quarterback like Lynch. The overriding question is this: who makes the final decision in the Browns' draft room? Does the team even know the answer at this point? It will be a fascinating team to follow during draft week.

Source: The MMQB 
Apr 25 - 10:19 AM

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that some teams don't care that Memphis QB Paxton Lynch scored low on the Wonderlic, but others will knock him down their board a bit.
Lynch scored an 18 on the test, a poor showing for a quarterback. "Several franchises around the league significantly mark down signal-callers who score poorly on the test," Pauline wrote. "I was informed Lynch was not asked to retake the test." We don't read into this much. Those who liked Lynch before aren't likely to be dissuaded. The MMQB's Peter King reported Monday that Browns HC Hue Jackson is lobbying the team to select Lynch.

Source: Philadelphia Eagles website 
Apr 25 - 7:02 PM

49ers legend Jerry Rice lobbied the organization to take Memphis QB Paxton Lynch No. 7 overall.
"I think they're going offense. It's got to be quarterback. We don't know the situation with Colin Kaepernick, if he's going to be around or if he's going to be leaving. So the big guy, Lynch, out of Memphis, would be an exceptional quarterback," Rice said. "Big guy, strong arm and I think Chip Kelly had a lot of success with Nick Foles (with the Eagles). I think he could take Lynch under his belt and develop him into a very good quarterback." NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock says No. 7 is "a little too rich" for Lynch, a sentiment we agree with.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 25 - 2:47 PM

CBS Sports' Benjamin Albright reports that an NFL source told him Wednesday that a team would "likely" have to hop over the 49ers at No. 7 to get Memphis QB Paxton Lynch.
Albright received the following text from the source on Wednesday evening: "We think you'd need to get ahead of #7 to get Paxton Lynch, most likely." Lynch has been called the first round's most pivotal prospect because his range of outcomes is so darn wide. He could go anywhere from the top-10 to somewhere in the 20s. Whether this source has inside information or is making a guess is unknowable, but it wouldn't be surprising if Lynch goes earlier than expected. After the No. 2 pick, he'll be the best quarterback on the board.

Source: Benjamin Albright on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 7:37 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes it will be difficult to "find a spot" for Memphis QB Paxton Lynch in the first round.
From top 10 talk to potentially out of the first round, all in one week. Schefter inserts the caveat of the Cowboys trading back into the first round, and we think the Panthers would be an ideal partner at No. 30. We have always ranked Lynch well out of the top 31 prospects in this draft, but teams have traded up for multiple quarterbacks in this class, and most view Lynch as the third best.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Apr 28 - 9:53 AM

Broncos selected Memphis QB Paxton Lynch with the No. 26 overall pick of the 2016 draft.
Lynch (6'7/244) started three years at Memphis, finishing his career with a 63.0 completion percentage, 7.36 YPA, 59:23 TD:INT ratio and 17 rushing scores. Lynch has huge hands (10 1/4") and high-level quarterback athleticism, running 4.86 with a 36-inch vertical. Big, mobile and over a year younger than Carson Wentz, Lynch's drawbacks consist of up-and-down ball placement resulting from technical flaws as a pocket passer and frustrating game-to-game consistency. Lynch has drawn some comparisons to Blake Bortles, and would benefit from a year on the bench, though he'll undoubtedly make rookie starts behind Mark Sanchez.

Apr 28 - 11:13 PM

To move up from their No. 31 overall pick to Seattle's No. 26 selection, the Broncos had to give the Seahawks one of their round picks, No. 94 overall. 
If he works that's a helluva deal.

Mayock's take:

26. Denver Broncos: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis He knows he has some work to do. On the positive side, Lynch has elite arm talent and athletic ability. What he needs to work on is that he's never been in a huddle, never been under center, and never done a five-step drop let alone a seven-step drop.

lots to learn QUICKLY....is a year enough?

Mayock's take:

26. Denver Broncos: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis He knows he has some work to do. On the positive side, Lynch has elite arm talent and athletic ability. What he needs to work on is that he's never been in a huddle, never been under center, and never done a five-step drop let alone a seven-step drop.

lots to learn QUICKLY....is a year enough?
Same #### I heard last year about Mariota.

I don't follow college football so I really have nothing to add, but it sounds like this dude will be perfect for what Kubiak is looking for - big, strong armed, accurate, mobile.  The system is more about scheming guys open than pre/post snap reads, especially utilizing play-action pass (i.e. turning your back to the defense eliminates some of the reads, which is why Manning didn't like it).  Only downside is he hasn't taken many snaps from under center - well, he's green.  This isn't a 18-year vet who isn't accustomed to taking snaps, this is a 22 year old rookie who has room to grow.

I'm really optimistic about the kid.

Was the dude behind him rubbing his shoulders and whispering in his ear while he was crying his brother?  Man that was uncomfortable to watch. 

I'm not a homophobic but is Lynch gay? The view of him when he was drafted by Denver....the way that guy was standing behind him and hugging him seemed a bit off. I'm not a professional lip reader but at a few times it looked like he was calling him baby in his ear.

I might be crazy but that entire seemed a bit odd.

Tex

I'm not a homophobic but is Lynch gay? The view of him when he was drafted by Denver....the way that guy was standing behind him and hugging him seemed a bit off. I'm not a professional lip reader but at a few times it looked like he was calling him baby in his ear.

Tex
I am a lip reader and the guy was saying "call me, maybe"

Tex
"You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out," a third scout said. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different." Added a fourth scout: "The overall maturity level and disposition, I'd be a bit concerned. Big kid, strong arm. But he's a ways away mentally." Wonderlic of 18.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

pretty sure i saw at least one other he is different reference...it is what it is...as long as he is a good QB

Was the dude behind him rubbing his shoulders and whispering in his ear while he was crying his brother?  Man that was uncomfortable to watch. 
It was his brother.

(and the only reason I know that is I got the same vibe and had to go look it up)  :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was his brother.

(and the only reason I know that is I got the same vibe and had to go look it up)  :shrug:
Damn, I totally missed that post. I got started on my post but was hesitant at first so I didn't post it right away. He must have started after I did because I never saw that post.

Tex

"You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out," a third scout said. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different." Added a fourth scout: "The overall maturity level and disposition, I'd be a bit concerned. Big kid, strong arm. But he's a ways away mentally." Wonderlic of 18.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

pretty sure i saw at least one other he is different reference...it is what it is...as long as he is a good QB
Right on!

Users who are viewing this thread