What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (4 Viewers)

Wow surprised with the negative response to this one. I thought it was a good setup episode. Gene did the scam to feel the rush again and to know he could still pull off this type of con....from recruiting, to planning, to getting away with it.  The outfit at the end was him just hanging it up and realizing it's really over. Like he's now really retired.  Next step is finding Kim. 
Damn, I’m with you.  Thoroughly enjoyed, and Mr krista exclaimed, “This is brilliant!” about 2/3 in.  We were dying of laughter during the heist scene.  Maybe the comparison to the Fly episode was apt.  I’m surprised at the reactions here.

Stupid dorky stuff, but since I’m now trained to notice this, any thought that the “409” address during the Carol Burnett initial scene could mean something, like the 6-3/608/609 allegedly did?  I haven’t gone back to see what season 4 episode 9 was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get why it happened but it would have been a 100% better scene with Gene at Carol Burnett's & the her taxi driver son's house if the original Cabbie was in it

Who was he on the phone with in the car in that final scene with the overhead shot of the crossroad?
That was a trailer for next week's episode. Each of the last few has had a trailer like this... A setup shot from the next episode overlaid with a select line of audio from when Saul was telling Kim that they'll eventually get over what happened with Howard and Lalo. 

Wow surprised with the negative response to this one. I thought it was a good setup episode. Gene did the scam to feel the rush again and to know he could still pull off this type of con....from recruiting, to planning, to getting away with it.  The outfit at the end was him just hanging it up and realizing it's really over. Like he's now really retired.  Next step is finding Kim. 
Episode was good and entertaining but they just spent 25% of what was left of the show on a Slipping Jimmy con with a bunch of characters we don’t know or don’t care about.  And Nebraska football sucks balls.

My complaint, if you want to call it that, is comparing this to To'hajiilee (the third to last BB episode) - just night and day for me.  Next is Ozymandias.

And again, I’m very much enjoying the ride - I agree that the writers are brilliant and the attention to detail is incredible.  And maybe it’s my preference in styles but BB was so suspenseful and edge of your seat.  We got none of that last night and it will be hard for them to create it I think - they were always working with their hands tied so to speak.

I’m excited to see Walt/Jesse even in a cameo and maybe they’ll surprise me with what they have left these last 3 episodes.  It just feels right now like all the things that made the show great - other than Sauk (Mike, Gus and Kim) are over - there’s no Nacho, no Lalo, no suspense.  I thoroughly expect to really enjoy the last 3, just can’t imagine it being an epic ending but hopefully they prove me wrong.

I could be wrong but I think that the episode closed the book on Gene.  They did everything but put up a "The End of the Gene story" over the shirt/tie shot.

Do yourselves a favor and call the phone number on Gene's missing Nippy flyer, (402) 342-9288.  

You may get a busy signal, but keep trying.  Took me about 7 or 8 times to get through.  

So good. These guys and girls think of everything. 

Do yourselves a favor and call the phone number on Gene's missing Nippy flyer, (402) 342-9288.  

You may get a busy signal, but keep trying.  Took me about 7 or 8 times to get through.  

So good. These guys and girls think of everything. 
Took me 16 tries but finally got through.    Also it's a Nebraska number.

So, based on the football games that they were talking about, do we know what year this is now and how long Gene has been in Nebraska?  
Sepinwall nerded out and did the math:

Saul Goodman met Walter White in 2008, and the entire plot of Breaking Bad spanned roughly two years. One of the few clues about the Gene timeline was that we saw that his car registration was good through 2012. This episode may have gotten more specific, as Frank goes on and on about Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini (who was the Cornhuskers’ head man from late 2007 through late 2014) and refers to Taylor Martinez, who was the Nebraska quarterback from 2010-2013. There are also references to Nebraska playing Texas and Oklahoma State, which they last did with that group in 2010. That means that Gene has been managing the Cinnabon for less than a year when we caught up to him in the Saul series premiere.

I get why it happened but it would have been a 100% better scene with Gene at Carol Burnett's & the her taxi driver son's house if the original Cabbie was in it
I think the original Jeff was introduced as a much more menacing personality.  I do not think the Nippy episode would have worked as well with his personality.  Perhaps they did some re-writing when they re-cast.  

I may have to watch again, but if Jeff and his buddy get through the 72 hour period when mall security recycles the tapes and then sell off the merchandise, what's to stop them from tipping the cops off to Gene/Saul then and pocketing any potential reward for his capture (assuming there is one)? 

Other than inventory numbers not matching up, the actual physical evidence from the heist would be gone, and it would just be a criminal lawyer's word against theirs. 

What am I missing?

I may have to watch again, but if Jeff and his buddy get through the 72 hour period when mall security recycles the tapes and then sell off the merchandise, what's to stop them from tipping the cops off to Gene/Saul then and pocketing any potential reward for his capture (assuming there is one)? 

Other than inventory numbers not matching up, the actual physical evidence from the heist would be gone, and it would just be a criminal lawyer's word against theirs. 

What am I missing?

Haven't totally thought it through, but he mentions those guys renting the truck in their name and the store manager can identify the buddy/truck driver, along with the facts of the big box being left and picked up the next day. Timing would all match up with roughly when they figure out all that stuff went missing.

What am I missing?
That was actually the entire point of the episode. 

*spoilers for last episode below*

Saul was compromised by the cab driver recognizing him.  He conned them into committing several federal felonies that he will use against them if they ever rat him out instead of using the vacuum guy again.

That was actually the entire point of the episode. 

*spoilers for last episode below*

Saul was compromised by the cab driver recognizing him.  He conned them into committing several federal felonies that he will use against them if they ever rat him out instead of using the vacuum guy again.

I think he got that, he was asking what actual proof would Saul have against those guys once the tapes erased and all stuff sold off.   I think the renting of the truck and store manager as a witness is the big key to get them.

Why would they do this though? What do they care about Saul going to jail, especially if it means they have a shot of going as well. 

I mean, were they even committing a crime really?
What do you mean?  Renting the truck and keeping a box overnight inside a store is not a crime no.  But, at some point the store will realize tens of thousands of dollars of product was stolen....they'd check the tapes to see nothing and realize it would had to have happened before they were erased so they could lock down a pretty exact date of occurrence.  They'd interview any employees that were around that day/night and see if they saw anything out of the ordinary.   That store manager would obviously remember the truck/box issue and wouldn't be hard to come up with a pretty good theory on how it all went down then.

Luckily the store manager has no idea where the truck was rented from to trace it back and get names of the renters so they are covered.  But if Gene gives up that info it's game over for those guys.

offdee said:
I think he got that, he was asking what actual proof would Saul have against those guys once the tapes erased and all stuff sold off.   I think the renting of the truck and store manager as a witness is the big key to get them.
Exactly.  Forgot about the truck being rented in their name.  Still, it can't technically be proven it was used to steal the merchandise if there are no tapes or no merchandise, would just be circumstantial.  Can't imagine Jeffy and buddy would want to risk it. 

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Marion though.  

Capella said:
Why would they do this though? What do they care about Saul going to jail, especially if it means they have a shot of going as well. 
This is the question that ran through my mind as well.  It could be as simple as something like reward money, but I wonder if there could be something more to it yet to be revealed.  Jeff was mixed up with bad people in Albuquerque. He recognized Saul, seemingly from commercials, but maybe he was just taunting him with that in Omaha.  Perhaps there is some Jeff/Walt...Jeff/Gus...Jeff/Cartel loose connection that we see in an upcoming episode when we jump back in time where we realize Jeff knows a little more than we are lead to believe.

This is the question that ran through my mind as well.  It could be as simple as something like reward money, but I wonder if there could be something more to it yet to be revealed.  Jeff was mixed up with bad people in Albuquerque. He recognized Saul, seemingly from commercials, but maybe he was just taunting him with that in Omaha.  Perhaps there is some Jeff/Walt...Jeff/Gus...Jeff/Cartel loose connection that we see in an upcoming episode when we jump back in time where we realize Jeff knows a little more than we are lead to believe.

Or maybe somehow Lyle is involved.

Perhaps there is some Jeff/Walt...Jeff/Gus...Jeff/Cartel loose connection that we see in an upcoming episode when we jump back in time where we realize Jeff knows a little more than we are lead to believe.
Could be Jeff and the white supremacists 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
And they weren't some criminal masterminds either.
I think this is the key point. Everything Gene does in this episode is to flip the tables on Jeff after that scene in the mall and establish his dominance. They won't rat him out because he alpha'd them and they are scared.

Having said that ... as I mentioned in an earlier post, Carol Burnett's throwaway line about ABQ did make me wonder if Jeff is running a longer con on him. I still would bet against it, but if that does turn out to be the case I'm going to come back here and brag that I knew it all along.

I think it might have been more he did the scam out of survival (to not blow his cover) and the rush it gave him pulling it off reminded him of how much he misses Saul.
I think it may catapult him back into the Saul character altogether and then no more Gene by the end. 

Skipdog77 said:

What am I missing?

Saul was involved with the cartel and Walter White/Gus Fring - you don't think you would be worried that their lawyer, who knows people, was sitting in your mother's kitchen and could make a phone call from prison and make you and her go away?  In addition, they are morons and figure they would be guilty on the theft/conspiracy charges too.

I think it may catapult him back into the Saul character altogether and then no more Gene by the end. 
I can see that. Then that episode still becomes a "Gene Epilogue" and most of these last 3 episodes are Saul going back to Saul/Slippin Jimmy, even if it puts him at risk of getting caught. He would rather feel "alive" for however long he can than live out the rest of his days lonely and meaningless (like he described in the crying fit to the security officer, where he was obviously drawing on his true, but maybe buried, feelings.)

krista4 said:
Stupid dorky stuff, but since I’m now trained to notice this, any thought that the “409” address during the Carol Burnett initial scene could mean something, like the 6-3/608/609 allegedly did?  I haven’t gone back to see what season 4 episode 9 was.

Answering my own question, but if you believe the numbers mean something, episode 9 of season 4 started with Kim and Jimmy pulling off the con where they replace the Mesa Verde building plans.  Jimmy wants to do more cons, but Kim is cautious. 

Jimmy then went in front of the reinstatement board for his law license and blew it by not talking about Chuck.  When Kim tells him what he did wrong, Jimmy accuses Kim of only slumming with him or lowering herself to his level when she's bored or needs a jolt of energy, that she doesn't want to be a lawyer with him, only sees him as Slippin' Jimmy, etc.  She furiously tells him she's always been his biggest supporter and relays all the ways she has been.  They split angrily, but when they see each other again at home, Jimmy admits he messed up his hearing.  Kim asks if he still wants to be a lawyer, and when he says yes, she commits to helping him again.  He suggests that maybe he should do it under a different name, Saul Goodman.

The episode was titled "Wiedersehen," which means "see you again."  Hmmmmm.

Neo said:
I just thought it was a big stretch going from Gene being so paranoid and cautious about his life that he would do a 180 and let a complete stranger potentially sabotage his existence/identity through a plan that had to work perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread