What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (1 Viewer)

WTF was that cab driver speeding off like that for? Seemed really dumb and forced. Just drive away slowly and see if they even follow you.

WTF was that cab driver speeding off like that for? Seemed really dumb and forced. Just drive away slowly and see if they even follow you.
He panicked. They showed his hand shaking when he was just sitting there with the cops behind him, so he was already nervous as heck, and when he pulled away, panic set in and boom.
At first I thought it might be intentional to provide Gene with a chance to get out of the house, but I don't think Jeff is that calculating, nor would he have needed to crash to draw the attention of the cops. I'm on board with Ghost Rider.

Really good - wonder if Saul’s story will end like Walt’s or if he lives is it in prison. I’m kind of hoping he gets away but they’ve almost gone out of the way making Gene unlikeable the last few episodes.
Jimmy/Saul/Gene had plenty of opportunities to get away but he is incapable.

For some reason I don't think he dies and likely ends up in prison again like Slipping Jimmy but it would be kind of cool if he goes nuts and ends up in a mental institution, his ultimate con.

He panicked. They showed his hand shaking when he was just sitting there with the cops behind him, so he was already nervous as heck, and when he pulled away, panic set in and boom.
At first I thought it might be intentional to provide Gene with a chance to get out of the house, but I don't think Jeff is that calculating, nor would he have needed to crash to draw the attention of the cops. I'm on board with Ghost Rider.
He could have just went out the back door. No need to cause a distraction.

The episode that introduced Saul in Breaking Bad was called "Better Call Saul"...so an episode titled "Breaking Bad" in Better Call Saul makes sense for a Walt and Jesse appearance logically.

Maybe there is more to how involved Saul was with Mike/Gus and getting Walt hooked in there.
You're welcome.

I didn't love last night. I am now really in the camp that we needed another episode or scenes in between when Kim left and the BB timeline. That big time jump left a lot out regarding the transformation. Jimmy didn't want to do the Howard con -- that was all Kim. He tried to veer them off of that road several times, but she wanted to do it. Now all of a sudden her leaving causes him to go completely off the tracks? And she apparently was in New Mexico up until the divorce papers -- and he had already "broke bad" at that point despite it being just before the BB timeline. The whole show was about his transformation, and they missed something IMO.

Loved last night's episode. I think Jimmy ends up in prison. Would be a nice bookend to Chuck getting him off from the Chicago sunroof, and showing how he had so many chances to make something of himself, but ended up ultimately back in jail due to bad decisions.

Walt dead, Jimmy in jail, Jesse in Alaska, and an automated parking lot tollbooth feels like a good way to end the franchise for me.

admittedly I had a little bit of trouble keeping up with the timelines in the latest episode. Wasn't there a scene where Kim is at the airport in Alaska in the Gene timeline? i was hoping u'd all be discussing it here but i guess it didn't happen. will rewatch tonight.

good or just normal people becoming bad people for the "right" reasons. Walt & Jesse in BB, Jimmy & Kim in BCS, seems like the story is progressing exactly how it was meant to. Jesse and Kim get a new lease on life, Walt and Jimmy got left in the dust. Jimmy has to die to fit this narrative i think.

i didn’t see this coming at all, jimmy became saul not because of kim… head explode

jesse getting a smoke with kim? head explode, nativity scene :lmao: so good 🥲

I haven't really thought this out, so maybe I'm completely off. When Kim broke it off with Jimmy, she said they were "poison" for each other. Jimmy was Kim's drug, so she quit. They got divorced. She moved to Florida. She went straight. When she flew back to New Mexico, she admitted her crimes and tried to make amends with Howard's wife, akin to completing her 12 steps. Thus, she has some parallels to Jesse. When they're both smoking outside Saul's office, I believe that, in the BB timeline, it was right at the beginning -- Walt went on the ridealong with Hank to the stakeout, where Emilio and Krazy-8 were caught cooking, and Walt witnessed Jesse climbing out of the window and escaping (thus Emilio needing a lawyer). Jesse was just about to start down his path with Walt. Kim was ending hers with Saul, having signed the divorce papers. Saul was like meth to Kim.

However, even though Saul was poison for Kim, I think Kim actually kept Saul with a semblance of morality. Jimmy was always Saul. Kim kept him from going full Saul. I think the irony here is that, if Saul/Gene had never called Kim, she never would have felt the need to go to New Mexico, which now seems to be the catalyst for wherever Saul ends up -- jail, dead or otherwise.

admittedly I had a little bit of trouble keeping up with the timelines in the latest episode. Wasn't there a scene where Kim is at the airport in Alaska in the Gene timeline? i was hoping u'd all be discussing it here but i guess it didn't happen. will rewatch tonight.

good or just normal people becoming bad people for the "right" reasons. Walt & Jesse in BB, Jimmy & Kim in BCS, seems like the story is progressing exactly how it was meant to. Jesse and Kim get a new lease on life, Walt and Jimmy got left in the dust. Jimmy has to die to fit this narrative i think.

She was at ABQ airport, but there was an Alaska airlines logo (along with Frontier and maybe others) in the area where she was waiting to get on the rental car bus.

I thought that was in ABQ. There was an Alaska Airlines sign in the background.

rhea seehorm is amazing. overall the story has seemed a bit forced to me, over the last few episodes.

they definitely made jesse look better in this scene. he looked old and a bit portly in the rv scene.

What was the final thing Kim said to Jesse before she flicked her cig and ran out into the pouring rain? I rewound it 3 times and still couldn't fully make it out.

Jesse asked..."so is he a good lawyer?" What did Kim say then?

Kim comes clean to Howard's widow but in a small way still protects Jimmy/Saul. The widow asks why she wouldn't be charged and Kim says only her ex-husband can corroborate "assuming he's still alive". She just talked to the guy. She knows he's stil alive. There must still be a flicker of love there.

Also, in the trailer for next week we see Saul/Gene's car in a ditch. I think if we put that trailer together along with the casting of a certain guest star who turned Saul in we can confirm that Jimmy will die in a fiery car accident and a UFO will in some way be involved. Car - Roll - Burn - ET. That Vince Gilligan really is something.

The parallels between the BB scenes and Gene scenes were obvious. In the BB scenes, we see Saul as he’s deciding whether or not to go into business with Walt. Mike tRies to talk him out of it but he does it anyway. We know how that turned out.

In parallel, Gene is about to make another bad decision going to cancer guys house. That one guy tried talking him out of it but he’s going anyway….

Gene had a bunch of opportunities to pull out. After the mall heist, it was over. Gene didn't have to start a new scam. After the guy with the dog couldn't follow through with the cancer guy, Gene didn't have to go to the guy's house. After the getaway taxi pulled up outside, Gene didn't have to go upstairs for more loot. He was determined to keep taking chances.

Theory I read online is that every season is 10 episodes. Therefore this season "ended" with the mall heist episode "Nippy".

But Gene/Saul/Jimmy couldn't leave well enough alone. His tragic flaw, perhaps. Had to push it a little farther. These following 4 episodes are his final aftermath.

Kims scene of breaking down was emmy award stuff...powerful.

That was the 2nd of 2 takes they did and it was filmed on a real bus driving around the terminal with real passengers on board going to wherever . They had 4 cameras set up on the bus . The hand that touched her in empathy was a friend of hers that was next to her (real life) , at least thats what i heard on the show ''Talking Saul'' .
The director was asked what should they do to prepare for the finale and he said ''wear some depends'' :oops:

When Gene grabbed the phone cord as if he was thinking about strangling gramma….my internal voice was excitedly saying “Finally! Some real action and bloodshed”. After all the Nacho and Lalo violence I’m yearning for more excitement like that. I get the slow burn setup, but I’m over it at this point.

When Gene grabbed the phone cord as if he was thinking about strangling gramma….my internal voice was excitedly saying “Finally! Some real action and bloodshed”. After all the Nacho and Lalo violence I’m yearning for more excitement like that. I get the slow burn setup, but I’m over it at this point.
Jimmy/Saul/Gene was close to killing 2 people in this episode, but he isn't a killer.

Jimmy/Saul/Gene was close to killing 2 people in this episode, but he isn't a killer.
I think he was just gonna knock the sleeping guy out with the ceramic pot. Not kill him.

I think he was just gonna knock the sleeping guy out with the ceramic pot. Not kill him.
Possibly, but a hit in the back of the head hard enough to knock him out could kill him.

Plus, we had already seen how Jeff panics when he slipped and fell in the mall heist. That guy doesn't do well under pressure.

Not so sure. I think jail works as well but we'll see next week!

I don't think Gene/Saul gets caught. Him being caught by the FBI, arrested, trial and sentencing is a lot for 60 minutes or so.

Pretty cool for my wife and I to see Kim pulling into work at “Palm Coast Sprinkler.” The left turn under the overpass she makes is into the marina area in Cocoa Beach, Florida. My parents own on a condo in the area and we were married there.

Guess I’ll have to go check out that Outback in satellite beach some day.

Last edited:
The parallels between the BB scenes and Gene scenes were obvious. In the BB scenes, we see Saul as he’s deciding whether or not to go into business with Walt. Mike tRies to talk him out of it but he does it anyway. We know how that turned out.

In parallel, Gene is about to make another bad decision going to cancer guys house. That one guy tried talking him out of it but he’s going anyway….

Gene had a bunch of opportunities to pull out. After the mall heist, it was over. Gene didn't have to start a new scam. After the guy with the dog couldn't follow through with the cancer guy, Gene didn't have to go to the guy's house. After the getaway taxi pulled up outside, Gene didn't have to go upstairs for more loot. He was determined to keep taking chances.

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes.

I think Saul wants to get caught. The guilt of everything he's done and most importantly what it did to KIm is killing him. He can't come clean like Kim to save face as well as to spare her of any further guilt for him taking the fall.

I thought it was really interesting too what he ended up stealing when he went back. Three, very expensive watches. If one was looking for symbolism I think you could even describe them as "precious time". Time that Saul himself is going to have taken from him.

Kim crying in the airport bus was just incredible acting.

I felt horrible for the kind of hell of a life she was leading. The conversation amongst the women at the BBQ, the office birthday.....oh God....most of us have probably witnessed it, Truly cringe worthy.

Of course the worst of it is what Kim has to endure when it comes to love making. I get you Kim. You need spice, variety. You want to do it as we hang from our ankles dangling over the Grand Canyon while I hold a loaded Glock to your head.

Plus, we had already seen how Jeff panics when he slipped and fell in the mall heist. That guy doesn't do well under pressure.
Yeah, he thought the cops waiting there had something to do with him, even though they were just stopping to eat their fish tacos. If he had just driven away without crashing, they most likely wouldn't have even noticed him.

The bigger irony was that he still probably wouldn't have gotten into trouble except Cancer Guy happened to wander out while the police were questioning him, which is what caused them to arrest Jeff for the robbery.

The episode that introduced Saul in Breaking Bad was called "Better Call Saul"...so an episode titled "Breaking Bad" in Better Call Saul makes sense for a Walt and Jesse appearance logically.

Maybe there is more to how involved Saul was with Mike/Gus and getting Walt hooked in there.
You're welcome.

I didn't love last night. I am now really in the camp that we needed another episode or scenes in between when Kim left and the BB timeline. That big time jump left a lot out regarding the transformation. Jimmy didn't want to do the Howard con -- that was all Kim. He tried to veer them off of that road several times, but she wanted to do it. Now all of a sudden her leaving causes him to go completely off the tracks? And she apparently was in New Mexico up until the divorce papers -- and he had already "broke bad" at that point despite it being just before the BB timeline. The whole show was about his transformation, and they missed something IMO.
Or does it turn out that the show wasn't about that after all? Maybe Chuck was right all along. And maybe the show is about Kim's redemption. Maybe a show where the moral of the story is that the story has a moral is, well, countercultural.

You might consider the ending of the series as being Episode 9 and these final 4 episodes an epilogue, and I couldn't argue with that. But since the entire series started with the Gene timeline, I prefer to consider these episodes as more of a denouement. Maybe it was always about bad things ultimately happening to people who make bad decisions*, and maybe Kim's story arc was the happy coincidence that ties it all together and gives a flip side to the coin - that there can be redemption. Parallel theme to Walt-Jesse in BB really, but maybe a little closer to home somehow. I mean, most of us don't have RV's with meth labs in them, and most of us don't frame reputable lawyers as drug addicts for spite, but it especially this week's episode really drove home for me that BCS just seems a little less far fetched somehow, Maybe because I find Kim the easiest to identify with. I guess on a continuum of cartoon character to the real world, Kim is probably closest to my end of the spectrum (compared to the meth cooking high school teacher turned criminal mastermind).

*Putting MY personal perspective/morality on things, I'd even go so far as to say that Jimmy's evil decisions have landed him in a hell of his own creation. Kim was there with him ("I love you too, but so what") and is now doing exactly what Saul told her to do in that phone call - put on the hair shirt and do her penance: all part of her journey of redemption perhaps (there's still one more episode to go, after all).

Per Vince Gilligan, the next episode is the last bit of storytelling in the Breaking Bad universe.

The Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe is coming to end, according to co-showrunners Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould.

Gilligan and Gould, speaking on the show’s final virtual TCA panel, said that they have no plans to add another show to the AMC shared universe, although cautioned “never say never”.

“You can’t keep putting all your money on red 21. I feel like we probably pushed it doing a spinoff to Breaking Bad [but] I could not be more happy with the results. Then I did El Camino and I’m very proud of that too. But I think I’m starting to sense you’ve got to know when to leave the party, you don’t want to be the guy with a lampshade on your head,” Gilligan said.

“I don’t have any plans right now to do anything more in this universe. I know I probably gave the same answer at the end of Breaking Bad. I gotta prove to myself that I got something else in me. I’m not a one trick pony, that’s what I’m hoping.

Gilligan's future projects will not be canonically related to BB/BCS (at least directly)

Pretty cool for my wife and I to see Kim pulling into work at “Pro Sprinkler.” The left turn under the overpass she makes is into the marina area in Cocoa Beach, Florida. My parents own on a condo in the area and we were married there.

They said on the Better Call Saul Insider podcast that all of the "Florida" scenes were actually shot in Albuquerque (Kim pulling into Palm Coast Sprinklers, her house, etc.) They then used visual effects for the backgrounds, etc.

Pretty cool for my wife and I to see Kim pulling into work at “Pro Sprinkler.” The left turn under the overpass she makes is into the marina area in Cocoa Beach, Florida. My parents own on a condo in the area and we were married there.

They said on the Better Call Saul Insider podcast that all of the "Florida" scenes were actually shot in Albuquerque (Kim pulling into Palm Coast Sprinklers, her house, etc.) They then used visual effects for the backgrounds, etc.
Interesting. I’ll have to watch it again, but we were pretty sure. The name of the road was the same. And their backyard BBQ looked like it was on the Banana River with docks/boats in the background.

Interesting. I’ll have to watch it again, but we were pretty sure. The name of the road was the same. And their backyard BBQ looked like it was on the Banana River with docks/boats in the background.
Yeah, they said for the backyard there was a concrete wall, so they draped it in green and then added the canal/river and the boats and stuff via VFX.

Wouldn't put it past this team to make sure the details exactly matched the area they were trying to emulate, in fact I actually wouldn't expect anything else.

Per Vince Gilligan, the next episode is the last bit of storytelling in the Breaking Bad universe.

The Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe is coming to end, according to co-showrunners Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould.

Gilligan and Gould, speaking on the show’s final virtual TCA panel, said that they have no plans to add another show to the AMC shared universe, although cautioned “never say never”.

“You can’t keep putting all your money on red 21. I feel like we probably pushed it doing a spinoff to Breaking Bad [but] I could not be more happy with the results. Then I did El Camino and I’m very proud of that too. But I think I’m starting to sense you’ve got to know when to leave the party, you don’t want to be the guy with a lampshade on your head,” Gilligan said.

“I don’t have any plans right now to do anything more in this universe. I know I probably gave the same answer at the end of Breaking Bad. I gotta prove to myself that I got something else in me. I’m not a one trick pony, that’s what I’m hoping.

Gilligan's future projects will not be canonically related to BB/BCS (at least directly)
A big reason for why Jonathan Banks was cast in Breaking Bad was his role on a TV show called Wiseguy, a show Gilligan watched in his dorm room while studying at NYU in the late 80's.

I don't know where a storyline about a 75 year-old retired FBI agent could go, but if Gilligan and Banks were involved I would immediately set the DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread