What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2010 Thread (1 Viewer)

According to Inside Pittsburgh Sports, Oakland and Buffalo have made "serious inquiries" on Ben. Others lurking.
Let's assume this is true and they've been offered at least a first round pick for Roethlisberger. Does anyone think they would really trade him? I think it would take quite a set of balls to deal away one of the best QBs in the league in the prime of his career for only a 1st round pick.I think a draft-day trade is still a very remote possibility.
I'm on record here as saying Ben is a scumbag and I wouldn't mind him being gone for the right price, but one first rounder isn't the right price.
I'd be surprised if PIT got an offer of even a single first rounder for him. If they do they should jump all over it.
I think you are underestimating his value. Even with baggage Ben is worth more than a single 1st rounder. Quarterbacks of his caliber don't come around often and a team can wait a decade or more to land one. The Steelers went through a lot of QBs between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger and had some teams with solid running games and great defenses and won exactly zero championships.I would understand if the Steelers traded him but I don't think they will for a single first rounder unless they believed they already had or were going to get a quality starting quarterback. They may say they like Dixon but he's only played one game and it is way to early to pass any judgement on him (though to me he looked a lot like Kordell).I am sure they have had in-depth and very candid discussions with Roethlisberger and they know him better than we do. If they believe he's learned from this incident and is sincere about behaving himself then he won't be traded. If they think he is scum and can't be trusted then they would be happy to take a first if someone is offereing. Draft day should be very interesting...

Thoughts on the BLeft trade?
I would have rather traded the pick for Carriker.
It's a 7th round pick.
I'm not saying they gave up too much for Leftwich. I'm saying I would prefer Carriker over Leftwich if given the choice.
I don't think either guy is a potential franchise QB or anything. I imagine they got feedback from the guys who played with Leftwich, and they probably conveyed that they were comfortable with him at the controls, moreso than a prospect. If a guy comes in with instant rapport with Hines and Miller, that's a year's worth of development you get to bypass.A cheap, adequate QB the receivers and coaches already feel comfortable with is the perfect solution for a team looking for an interim guy. :goodposting:

I could live with a 75% return on value for BB right now but I can't see it happening. I assume any offers have been low balls

I could live with a 75% return on value for BB right now but I can't see it happening. I assume any offers have been low balls
I assume that if there's any chance of a deal, then the Steelers are going to be seeing lowball offers right up until the target team HAS to pull the trigger or else back off entirely. Any team that wasn't trying to capitalize on negative sentiment right now would be unfit to do business.If a deal materializes, I expect it to finalize in the moments leading up to that team's draft pick.I'll be watching eagerly. I'm still very conflicted.

Where is all this talk of a Carriker trade? I did a quick scan for any mention of Carriker being traded and can't find anything.

Where is all this talk of a Carriker trade? I did a quick scan for any mention of Carriker being traded and can't find anything.
There's a whole thread on it. Apparently, the teams swapped 5th and 7th rounders. By your avatar, I imagine you can see what a steal this was for WAS.

Evilgrin 72 said:
mcintyre1 said:
There's a whole thread on it. Apparently, the teams swapped 5th and 7th rounders. By your avatar, I imagine you can see what a steal this was for WAS.
Weird, I'll look again. Maybe I was misspelling Carriker... :goodposting: Anyways, yeah, the Steelers should have been all over that trade if they had the option. Carriker was always out of position at DT, but he'd be a monster (when healthy) at 3-4 DE.Edit: Hmm... still can't find it on the first two pages. Maybe it got nuked from space. Too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
ACP, get used to the idea that you aren't going to be a fan of the quarterback for your favorite team.
:banned: :) :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: Just tweeted from Shefter

Pittsburgh has begun contacting teams to trade Ben Roethlisberger for a top 10 pick. At least one team considering it. Story far from done.

JasonLaCanfora Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick... As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.

Wed, Apr 21 12:23:11 from mobile web

will be an interesting season. :goodposting:

I have to believe that if this is being discussed, only teams with top 10 picks are being contacted. NOT that a single first round pick is the asking price.

I still think the top 10 pick, with a future pick (conditional?) and a player (serviceable in a position of need for the Steelers) is probably what it will take.

JasonLaCanfora Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick... As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.Wed, Apr 21 12:23:11 from mobile web will be an interesting season. :goodposting:
So much for the "Steelers don't want to pay #1 overall $$$" I just think they'd have taken Suh there.

I have to believe that if this is being discussed, only teams with top 10 picks are being contacted. NOT that a single first round pick is the asking price.I still think the top 10 pick, with a future pick (conditional?) and a player (serviceable in a position of need for the Steelers) is probably what it will take.
:penalty:

JasonLaCanfora Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick... As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.Wed, Apr 21 12:23:11 from mobile web will be an interesting season. :penalty:
So much for the "Steelers don't want to pay #1 overall $$$" I just think they'd have taken Suh there.
If they did that and took Suh over Bradford, I'd have been 1000 times happier. I'd almost have been OK with it, that's how much I love Suh.

JasonLaCanfora Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick... As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.Wed, Apr 21 12:23:11 from mobile web will be an interesting season. :penalty:
Possibly, I guess we'll never know.If Roethlisberger could truly be had for only a first round pick then teams like the Raiders, Bills, and Seahawks would be crazy not to jump all over it. While the incident may never fully be forgotten it will cease to be a story and fade from memories. If you can get a 2-time SB champion in the prime of his career and signed to a long term contract with the guaranteed money paid up front by another team I don't see how you can not make the deal.

JasonLaCanfora Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick... As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.Wed, Apr 21 12:23:11 from mobile web will be an interesting season. :mellow:
Possibly, I guess we'll never know.If Roethlisberger could truly be had for only a first round pick then teams like the Raiders, Bills, and Seahawks would be crazy not to jump all over it. While the incident may never fully be forgotten it will cease to be a story and fade from memories. If you can get a 2-time SB champion in the prime of his career and signed to a long term contract with the guaranteed money paid up front by another team I don't see how you can not make the deal.
If I was any of those teams, I'd be burning up the lines.

JasonLaCanfora Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick... As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.

Wed, Apr 21 12:23:11 from mobile web

will be an interesting season. :mellow:
I disagree with Canfora's bolded statement above. Trading to STL may be impossible. But I'm convinced Ben is 100% gone.

My gut says the Rooneys are forcing Colbert to make ANY deal happen.

It's the only explanation for why Goodell announced the suspension the day before the draft after saying that he was going to take is time (maybe as much as a couple weeks) to decide on punishment. The Rooneys needed to have the suspension defined in order to make a deal.

Shipping Holmes,

Shipping Ben,

I think the Rooneys came into the front office & simply stated "Clean this house up. NOW."

http://twitter.com/espnafc_north rooney conf call cliff notes

# Art Rooney II: The players that have to step in have to do the job and they're prepared to do that. 3 minutes ago via web

# Art Rooney II: QB Ben Roethlisberger's intent is to follow the program that was asked of him. 9 minutes ago via web

# Steelers president Art Rooney II: We understand we are in the people business and people make mistakes. 11 minutes ago via web

# Art Rooney II: I can't answer any questions about trades, especially this time of year. 12 minutes ago via web

# The NFL will select the evaluation center for QB Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers don't know the next step until after the eval. 12 minutes ago via web

# Steelers president Art Rooney II: I agree and support the decision of NFL commish Roger Goodell. 13 minutes ago via web

Unless I knew I could get Bradford then trading Ben for a top 10 pick is a complete waste. I want nothing to do with Clausen, McCoy, or Tebow. And since the Rams want nothing to do with Big Ben then I say forget it and accept 2010 as another 9-7 or worse season

analog_hiss said:
The Steelers tonight drafted center Maurkice Pouncey of Florida with the 18th pick in the first round of the NFL draft.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/10526...m#ixzz0lstUWvtE
Much rejoicing!!!

This should help a lot with these stats:

Hartwig: Allowed 7 sacks - 4 QB Hurries - 15 QB pressures (Ranked 34 of 34 OC's in 2009)

Essex: Allowed 1 sack -7 QB Hurries - 27 QB pressures (Ranked 84 of 84 OG's in 2009)

Komeatu: Allowed 4 sacks -7 QB Hurries - 9 QB pressures (Ranked 50 of 84 OG's in 2009)

Trade up for Tate or stay put and hope for Wootton? I like Wootton better, but Tate could be an heir apparent to Ward. Wallace is already the heir to Holmes' spot. Thrilled about Pouncey. Would have been happy with a couple guys. Some great value falling to the end of round 1, but Pouncey was my :hifive:

Happy with pouncey in the first. Now bring me Ghee in rd 2.
Sitting at a bar eating unlimited wings and drinking pitchers of Bud American Ale, that pick was made and the first thought that went through my mind was..."Should I go with Lava or Blazing Hot Honey Garlic for my next batch?"After that, it was...."I bet IB is pretty happy right now. 1st round OL...."

Sitting at a bar eating unlimited wings and drinking pitchers of Bud American Ale, that pick was made and the first thought that went through my mind was..."Should I go with Lava or Blazing Hot Honey Garlic for my next batch?"After that, it was...."I bet IB is pretty happy right now. 1st round OL...."
Guess we were all thinking of IB last night. I saw the pick and thought: "I'll bet it just moved for IB."Then I thought how weird it was I was thinking about it moving for some other dude that I only know as a fat guy avatar from the internet.Then I had another drink.

So...what's the O-line look like now...

LT Max Starks

LG Chris Kemoeatu

C Justin Hartwig

RG Trai Essex Maurkice Pouncey

RT Willie Colon

I feel better already.

Guess we were all thinking of IB last night. I saw the pick and thought: "I'll bet it just moved for IB."Then I thought how weird it was I was thinking about it moving for some other dude that I only know as a fat guy avatar from the internet.Then I had another drink.
:)Thanks guys. I'm touched. After 5 years, I finally get my 1st round lineman.

I know most are pulling for a CB, which I would be fine with, in round 2 and others are angling for wideout, which I assume would be Benn since they seem to have a chubby for him, but I have to admit that what I want to happen is....

....a trade up for Cody.

Get in front of that giant knot of other 3-4 teams, Kevin, and nail down BOTH 'pivots' for the forseeable. A Pouncey/Cody round1-round 2 would make this a pretty great draft regardless of what happened after it.

Basically a pipe dream though if they can't deal up. Too many 3-4 teams between them and their next pick.

Going best available CB/WR/OLB in round 2 with a trade up in 3 to grab, say, Troup would be a-okay with me as well.

So...what's the O-line look like now...

LT Max Starks

LG Chris Kemoeatu

C Justin Hartwig

RG Trai Essex Maurkice Pouncey

RT Willie Colon

I feel better already.
I know they won't do this....but I'd almost prefer they put Pouncey in at LG, if he isn't playing C, and move Kemoeatu to the right. He's better suited to the strong side, IMO, and Pouncey is definitely a better pass blocker.

As you said though....Pouncey ANYHWERE on that interior makes me feel a bit better already.

OK, let's heat up this draft talk already. Ben situation is behind us for now, let's discuss options and zhit.

Question : If the Roethlisberger trade talk wasn't just posturing, who were the Steelers targeting in the top 10? Obviously, it wasn't Bulaga or Clausen, which were the two names I'd most commonly seen as potential trade-up targets. Did they want to guarantee themselves Pouncey? Or were they after someone like Anthony Davis, Rolando McClain, or Joe Haden? The world...... may never know.

I wish Iupati hadn't gone at #17. I'd love to know who the Steelers really preferred. Personally, I think it was a no-lose spot for them and I thought they might take Bulaga, since he's more likely to play G than tackle in year 1 anyway. The fact that they took Pouncey said two things to me :

1) They are every bit as worried about Hartwig as they are the RG spot. Probably more so.

2) Willie Colon is never moving inside. We pretty much knew this, but every now and again, I still see someone here or elsewhere suggest it. Stop. Never going to happen.

Personally, I think Iupati is the guy you plug in D1 who's going to allow a few sacks here and there but is going to add .5 ypc to that side of your line. Best run blocker I've seen in the draft in a few years. He has all-pro potential. Pouncey is more of a finesse guy who isn't going to wow you by laying people out in the run game, but is going to be a fundamentally sound player and a better pass blocker. This pick was about protection for Ben, not about improving the run game.

Pouncey is the successor to the great Steelers C throne. Kiper says he's better than Mangold was coming out, a guy I know IB, Godsbrother, and I all thought they should draft a few years back. Let's hope so. I'm optimistic and I like the pick. If he becomes Mangold/Jeff Saturday, we did well here.

Now, going forward, we need to address DE, ILB, CB, WR, RB, and maybe TE (they seem to want to.) Also seems they want to grab another pass rushing 3-4 OLB type. I'd like to see another T taken as well. At the most, they'll make 8 more picks, and they have 9. I imagine a trade will occur at some point and to me, trading the 2 5th rounders we have makes the most sense, since we have the two compensatory picks in that round. I threw this together using the trade value chart to see where packaging picks to move up might make sense. If we trade the 2 5ths, we could :

Move from 52 to 46 in round 2

Move from 82 to 70 in round 3

Move from 116 to 95 in round 4.

Get pick 117 in round 4.

To me, it doesn't make sense to trade a 3rd rounder in this draft, but trading the 4th rounder would enable us to make about the same moves.. the 4th rounder has about equivalent value to the 2 5ths. Packaging the 4th AND the two fifths would let us :

Move from 52 to 41 in round 2

Move from 82 in round 3 to 61 in round 2.

I don't think moving up 5 extra spots by throwing in the 4th rounder makes a lot of sense, but the second scenario is possible. That would give us 2 seconds, a third, no 4th, and 2 fifths.

:lmao:

I know most are pulling for a CB, which I would be fine with, in round 2 and others are angling for wideout, which I assume would be Benn since they seem to have a chubby for him, but I have to admit that what I want to happen is........a trade up for Cody.Get in front of that giant knot of other 3-4 teams, Kevin, and nail down BOTH 'pivots' for the forseeable. A Pouncey/Cody round1-round 2 would make this a pretty great draft regardless of what happened after it.Basically a pipe dream though if they can't deal up. Too many 3-4 teams between them and their next pick.Going best available CB/WR/OLB in round 2 with a trade up in 3 to grab, say, Troup would be a-okay with me as well.
Scouts, Inc has a round 2 mock up that was done after the first round completed and they have Cody going #50 overall to KC, 2 spots before the Steelers pick. They could probably leapfrog to the 49 spot by simply trading 1 of their 2 5th round picks.

Over night, we moved from an offensive line that sucks, to one that merely stinks! Progress! :lmao:

Seriously...love the pick. Would like to see another OL in rd 2 or 3.

I wish Iupati hadn't gone at #17. I'd love to know who the Steelers really preferred.
The Iupati videos I watched seemed to show that he holds more then crazy-glue.
He's still raw and he may get flagged a bit early in his career, but the bottom line is that he can manhandle NFL defenders right now. He's that big and strong. You can coach technique, you can't coach the size, strength, speed, and attitude that guy has. If the 49ers can polish him up, they may have Steve Hutchinson II.Pouncey has less ifs and less upside, IMO - but to me, he's almost a sure-fire above average starter and possible Pro Bowler at an area of extreme need. No quibbles with the pick at all.

Users who are viewing this thread