What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official suspended for use of profanity (1 Viewer)

Perfect example here of what I tried to say in the Brady thread... HUGE difference in swearing about something to someone than actually swearing at someone.

a) "HEY REF, WHAT KIND OF F*****G B******T CALL WAS THAT?"... not a big deal. Probably aren't going to hug-it-out, but all parties will eventually walk away from each other.

b) "HEY REF, WHAT KIND OF CALL WAS THAT? YOU'RE A F****N' A*****E, YOU KNOW THAT?"... now it's personal. And there will be flags... fines... possible suspension.

These are all grown-ups and it's not an office environment. There is a line of course, but the worst kind of profanity you can think of occurs in the heat of the moment in all walks of life. Come on.

Maybe the NFL should be clear about the reason for the suspension. Was it the swearing or the name calling/badgering? I personally think neither outburst warrants a suspension, but find it unfair for players to have more leeway than officials.

Maybe the NFL should be clear about the reason for the suspension. Was it the swearing or the name calling/badgering? I personally think neither outburst warrants a suspension, but find it unfair for players to have more leeway than officials.
I think the article is poorly titled. The account from the players is that this was a personal, verbal attack... more along the lines with example "b" in my previous post. I'm pretty sure he wasn't suspended for using the "F" word.

Round 2 for the NFL

Michael Arnold, NFLRA legal counsel, said Ellison is an accomplished 11-year veteran who is highly respected.

''The NFL imposed its judgment upon him without consideration of all the facts,'' Arnold said. ''The decision was arbitrary and unjustified and will be challenged with an immediate grievance.''

Jim Quirk, NFLRA executive director, said the ''NFL's decision to suspend Mr. Ellison creates a double standard for what is acceptable on field conduct.'' He and Arnold cited the league's decision to take no action against Williams.

''The League insists that officials are held to a `high standard' but others involved in the game are held to no standard,'' Quick added. ''Apparently the NFL accepts and condones a culture where players, coaches and teams can use racial slurs and profanity toward each other and at officials.

''Music played in locker rooms and in the stadiums before games include racial slurs (including the ''N'' word) and references to sexual violence with impunity. These types of cheap slurs and racial banter on the field often lead to angry and emotional responses which can result in fighting and injury. This is completely contrary to the atmosphere of sportsmanship and respect the league says should exist in the game.''

Maybe Ellison should contact Johnathan Martin's mother. It sounds like the officials are being subjected to a hostile work environment.

It definitely seems like the NFL double standard routinely applies. They hand out excessive fines to defensive players for the same conduct offensive players don't even get penalized for.

I don't know what Trent Williams did but I have to wonder if he somehow deserved it. I remember when Williams was fined for weakly slapping Richard Sherman in the face. No suspension handed out there.

I don't know what Ellison said but on the replay you can see Williams, Griffin and 1 or 2 other players look up from what they were doing at look at Ellison.

It definitely seems like the NFL double standard routinely applies. They hand out excessive fines to defensive players for the same conduct offensive players don't even get penalized for.

I don't know what Trent Williams did but I have to wonder if he somehow deserved it. I remember when Williams was fined for weakly slapping Richard Sherman in the face. No suspension handed out there.
That's what the Brady thread was intended for. The double standard runs deep.

People need to stop being so sensitive. They are just words, people say stupid stuff in the heat of the moment all the time. At work, home, to friends, and to strangers. Get over it and move on.

People need to stop being so sensitive. They are just words, people say stupid stuff in the heat of the moment all the time. At work, home, to friends, and to strangers. Get over it and move on.
That's just bizarre. Williams wasn't complaining because his poor widdle feelings were hurt, he was complaining because an official who is supposed to be impartial was cursing him out. Assuming his accusation is true, there is simply no scenario in which that is acceptable.

If you were in court and the judge referred to you as a "disrespectful garbage a## m#####-f#####", would you shrug your shoulders and say, "They're just words"?

That's just bizarre. Williams wasn't complaining because his poor widdle feelings were hurt, he was complaining because an official who is supposed to be impartial was cursing him out. Assuming his accusation is true, there is simply no scenario in which that is acceptable.

If you were in court and the judge referred to you as a "disrespectful garbage a## m#####-f#####", would you shrug your shoulders and say, "They're just words"?
Personally I would, but you are right I should have been more clear. The Brady thing is stupid, but I don't think Williams should care either just play the game and go about his business.

Personally I would, but you are right I should have been more clear. The Brady thing is stupid, but I don't think Williams should care either just play the game and go about his business.
Doesn't thinking like this lead to dictatorships and genocide?? It seems like it would, call me crazy.

You make it sound like Williams is more in the wrong for pointing it out than the ref is for actually doing it. I will certainly call THAT crazy.

Also, the Brady thing and the ref thing are not comparable in any way.

Now, I am not saying the ref should have been suspended or anything for just this particular incident, but I think he was suspended because of many other complaints in the past and the league went with an "enough is enough" approach on this one.

Now could they suspend some of these officials for just making really bad calls Carolina/New England comes to mind.

I'm just glad that all the youth footballers out there got to hear the example set by Brady. Now they can really go play 60!

Users who are viewing this thread