What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Terrance Williams, WR, Dallas (1 Viewer)

Miles Austin fully practiced.

We will see exactly what the Cowboys are thinking this week.

I'm guessing they have Austin sit.
What are you basing that on? Not trying to be snarky, I'm just genuinely puzzled. It seems like if a guy practices fully on Wednesday, he's probably on track to play Sunday. Is there any history of Austin practicing and then not playing?

Would totally love for you to be right, but if it looks like Austin is on track to play, I'll probably drop TW and grab Keenan Allen off the WW. He's not as attractive as a starting TW, and has a tough-ish matchup this week, but is probably better ROS.
Is he not as attractive because of the deceivingly tough match-up (IND has played bottom ranked passing offenses thus far) or do you have other reasons for believing so? They found themselves in similar situations, yet Allen is more talented and is picking up the snaps/targets of the former WR1 instead of the WR2. Allen was the superior pick-up prior to Austin putting in a full practice.
If I knew TW was starting vs. Washington, I think he'd be more attractive this week. But I agree that Allen has always been the better ROS option.
Yeah, I was rather excited at the prospects of starting him this week in what is projected to be one of if not the highest scoring affair of the week. Truth is, I always knew Austin would return at some point (not this quick admittedly). Judging by the way things have played out thus far, this situation is more so emulating 2012 then it is 2011. Of course, with Austin, there's always a the possibility of a flair up but if he's on the field I guarantee they'll simply cannibalize each others making both shaky starts regardless.

Maybe he gets shelved for one more week and Williams does enough to really separate himself. That'd be best case scenario (aside from another hammy flair up, but I don't wish injury upon anybody).

What are you basing that on? Not trying to be snarky, I'm just genuinely puzzled. It seems like if a guy practices fully on Wednesday, he's probably on track to play Sunday. Is there any history of Austin practicing and then not playing?

Would totally love for you to be right, but if it looks like Austin is on track to play, I'll probably drop TW and grab Keenan Allen off the WW. He's not as attractive as a starting TW, and has a tough-ish matchup this week, but is probably better ROS.
Current productivity for both players. And having a perfect excuse of giving Austin yet another week to heal up -- while you get to see if TW can continue to "show".
Yeah, but then why have Austin practice fully?

I'm not saying I disagree with you about why they should give TW a chance. But plenty of fantasy owners have gone bust waiting around for NFL teams to make the "obvious" move. I once held Frank Gore on my roster for an entire season, sure the Niners would eventually figure out he was better than Kevan "My Coach is Hitler" Barlow. The fact that I was clearly right didn't do my team any good that year (though fortunately, by that point I was so invested in him that I used a late-round pick on him again the following season and hit the jackpot).

TW may well supplant Austin, possibly even before the end of the year (seems like it's a foregone conclusion Austin gets cut this offseason). But I don't see how a guy who gets in a full practice on Wednesday is, absent another setback, going to sit on Sunday, and all this speculation seems like a whole lot of wishful thinking.

Current productivity for both players. And having a perfect excuse of giving Austin yet another week to heal up -- while you get to see if TW can continue to "show".
Yeah, but then why have Austin practice fully?

I'm not saying I disagree with you about why they should give TW a chance. But plenty of fantasy owners have gone bust waiting around for NFL teams to make the "obvious" move. I once held Frank Gore on my roster for an entire season, sure the Niners would eventually figure out he was better than Kevan "My Coach is Hitler" Barlow. The fact that I was clearly right didn't do my team any good that year (though fortunately, by that point I was so invested in him that I used a late-round pick on him again the following season and hit the jackpot).

TW may well supplant Austin, possibly even before the end of the year (seems like it's a foregone conclusion Austin gets cut this offseason). But I don't see how a guy who gets in a full practice on Wednesday is, absent another setback, going to sit on Sunday, and all this speculation seems like a whole lot of wishful thinking.
To see what happens tomorrow a day after a full practice? To see if he has actually improved upon his physical status from the onset of the year?

I'm sitting Williams because garçon is off bye and pairing garçon with Allen as my WRs

Did Austin injure himself on the catch attempt on the sidleine in that game (for those who watched). He got up limping after that and thought he had suffered and `#### Splitter` not sure of the common terminology.

If this was the cause and not injuring himself running full speed would it be a diff kind of injury with less recovery time than a normal hammy pull?

Not nervous in the slightest of Miles Austin returning. You will be kicking yourself benching TW against the putrid Washington secondary in primetime on Sunday Night Football. This has the makings of another Tony Romo vs RG3 barnburner. Plenty of points to share and go around.

Not nervous in the slightest of Miles Austin returning. You will be kicking yourself benching TW against the putrid Washington secondary in primetime on Sunday Night Football. This has the makings of another Tony Romo vs RG3 barnburner. Plenty of points to share and go around.
He saw 4 targets (1 rush) in a game where Romo dropped back 37 times, essentially slinging it for three quarters of the game . This was with him on the field for 90% of offensive snaps.

I wouldn't start him unless I was devoid of other more solid options.

He saw 4 targets (1 rush) in a game where Romo dropped back 37 times, essentially slinging it for three quarters of the game . This was with him on the field for 90% of offensive snaps.

I wouldn't start him unless I was devoid of other more solid options.
Sure, that's fair. I don't think we can ignore the other factors of this though. Is how productive he was with those 4 targets. After not being on the same page with Romo at all in the first two games. The last two games on 12 targets he's posted 11 catches, 222 yards and 1 TD. Even completely IGNORING the fact that Austin will be back. He's been on fire the past two weeks. After starting the season with 7 targets and 5 catches for a terrible 60 yards. He's gone on to catch more or less every pass thrown at him and make due on them as well. He's proving that he doesn't need a lot of targets to produce. With Austin coming back, he'll be the slot receiver in 3 wide sets. If he can demand say... 5 targets in this game against Washington? It's not crazy to think he has another line of like... 5 receptions for 100 yards and a TD.

Right now, I have him on my bench in favor of Marques Colston, Antonio Brown, Rueben Randle and Kennan Allen. But if I feel like I need that big game potential going into the 4:00 games I may bench Colston for him last minute. As he's shown me more in 1 game than Colston's shown me all season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin put in another full practice today and suffered no setbacks. We're going to need to put the hype train on hold for a second while we see how this plays out.

Austin put in another full practice today and suffered no setbacks. We're going to need to put the hype train on hold for a second while we see how this plays out.
yeah, ok. you tap the brakes, while I pass you in the left lane. choo choo!
Good luck brotha. Trust me, I was ready to chase some stats as Williams and Allen likely left my opponent curled up in a ball, crying in a corner last week, but looks like I'll just be sticking with the better half of the tandem for now.

I honestly hope that you're correct (for long-term purposes), but I just..don't have the balls to trot him out there again in light of recent news.

:blackdot: I'm planning on going with Williams over Nate Washington if Calvin Johnson sits. Even if Austin does play, I want to take a shot with Williams against DC...

Romo's confidence is growing in him. I've absolutely loved the pick when the Cowboys drafted him and believe me his future is bright. I wanted to draft him in my Dynasty league (even though I'm a Cowboy fan I don't have a single one on my team) because I think this kid is the real deal and I've seen him get better and better as the weeks have gone by and have seen Romo look his way more often lately.

Romo's confidence is growing in him. I've absolutely loved the pick when the Cowboys drafted him and believe me his future is bright. I wanted to draft him in my Dynasty league (even though I'm a Cowboy fan I don't have a single one on my team) because I think this kid is the real deal and I've seen him get better and better as the weeks have gone by and have seen Romo look his way more often lately.
Do you think he siphons away enough looks from Austin (if healthy) to become an every week starter this season? Do you think they could cancel each other out in terms of fantasy value or will one be a legit starter and the other be left in the dust? Just curious as to which way this could go.

Do you think he siphons away enough looks from Austin (if healthy) to become an every week starter this season? Do you think they could cancel each other out in terms of fantasy value or will one be a legit starter and the other be left in the dust? Just curious as to which way this could go.
Just look..

Snap Percentages

Dez Bryant - 94% - 88% - 100% - 100% - 95%

Miles Austin - 91% - 92% - 63% - 0% - 0%

Terrence Williams - 47% - 41% - 56% - 86% - 91%

Cole Beasley - 0% - 0% - 10% - 54% - 36%

Dwayne Harris - 5% - 7% - 19% - 36% - 45%

Targets

Dez Bryant - 8 - 13 - 6 - 9- 10 (46 total)

Miles Austin - 12 - 4 - 5 - 0 - 0 (21 total)

Terrence Williams - 4 - 4 - 0 - 8 - 4 (1 rush) (20 total)

Cole Beasley - 0 - 0 - 1 - 3 - 4 (8 total)

Dwayne Harris - 3 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 (9 total)

This isn't even factoring in Witten (48) and Murray. You also have take into account the fact the Harris and Beasley will likely be involved in some fashion going forward and poach a few very valuable targets here and there. There's just, a lot of mouths to feed.

I'm still astonished that Williams only got 4 targets in that shootout when he was on the field essentially the entire game.

No not necessarily this season but he's definitely a part of their future. The Cowboys have a lot of options with Witten, Dez, Austin and Williams. I don't think Austin's value will be diminished this season unless injury is involved but the same can be said for all the WR's. Austin has put in his time to warrant respect from Romo and the Coaches, Williams will still get a few looks. If at any point Austin or Dez is out...........I'd start him without hesitation the light has switch on with this kid he's figuring it out and getting better every week.

Just look..

Snap Percentages

Targets

This isn't even factoring in Witten (48) and Murray. You also have take into account the fact the Harris and Beasley will likely be involved in some fashion going forward and poach a few very valuable targets here and there. There's just, a lot of mouths to feed.

I'm still astonished that Williams only got 4 targets in that shootout when he was on the field essentially the entire game.
That's because Romo's 1st and 2nd options were usually open or thrown to for most of the game.

Too bad we don't play Denver every week with their pass coverage. I never thought I'd see Romo throw for 500 yards.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said that Miles Austin (hamstring) would be a "featured guy" if he plays on Sunday, the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Analysis: There's no Garrett-to-snap count translation book available, but it sounds like Austin will get his normal workload if he plays. That likely spells bad news for Williams owners despite his big game last week against the Broncos, although if the Dallas defense allows the game to become another shootout then there should be plenty of targets for all three wideouts.

More Terrance Williams News
Player News by Rotowire.com

So is Williams not startable with Austin back in the picture? And is Austin back to being a viable WR2/3 option?

This reminds me a lot of the Laurent Robinson conversations back a couple years ago.

No one wanted Robinson at first because Austin would be coming back, then no one wanted Robinson because Austin came back, then no one wanted him because the snaps weren't there. Romo just kept going to him and he was particularly good at scoring.

Different team, different season, I know, but I'm going to hold and see for the Washington game just for fun. I botched my adds/drops at WR the past couple weeks, so there's that and I'm being "positive" too, but it's possible he has a good game against a horrible defense. If not I will just go to Plan D.

About the snap counts and targets, if you notice the WR3's Harris and Beasley still got 6 targets vs DEN. I think or hope perhaps that it's not Austin that Williams needs to separate from but those two, especially Harris. Harris was not getting many snaps but apparently they throw to him when he's in there. I just think Williams has shown he can make big plays and he is going to be someone that they are trying to get the ball to moving forward, that would make sense. It's more about opportunities than snaps.

it will probably go back to what is was weeks 1 and 2

Austin about 90% of snaps

Williams 40-50% of snaps

I wouldnt feel comfortable starting WIlliams now, dez,austin,witten,murray, all will likely be ahead of him for targets

Williams will still be involved even with Austin. I say he still gets 7-9 targets and 5-6 recptions
What's your reasoning? Why would he possibly see his highest target total with Austin back?
nothing specific. Just a feel. Romo has confidence in him, Austin may not be 100%, and I read that TW will plyopposite Dez and Austin will play the slot on 3 WR sets. Thw Cowboys throw the ball 35-38 times a game. I assume Dez gets 10 targets, Witten gets 9 targets, TW gets 8 targets, Austin 5-7, the backs and others 5.

Just look..

Snap Percentages

Targets

You are astonished he only got 4 targets when he has only gotten more than 4 targets once?

Seems you are looking a little too hard for something.

Williams will still be involved even with Austin. I say he still gets 7-9 targets and 5-6 recptions
What's your reasoning? Why would he possibly see his highest target total with Austin back?
nothing specific. Just a feel. Romo has confidence in him, Austin may not be 100%, and I read that TW will plyopposite Dez and Austin will play the slot on 3 WR sets. Thw Cowboys throw the ball 35-38 times a game. I assume Dez gets 10 targets, Witten gets 9 targets, TW gets 8 targets, Austin 5-7, the backs and others 5.
Doming off a week where he just got 4 targets? Not saying you won;t be right - just saying your logic isn't sound

Using Williams in one league where I'm desperate, but not in others.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a nice game, but that seems like a hard thing to try to count on.

You are astonished he only got 4 targets when he has only gotten more than 4 targets once?

You see this thing happened in week 4 where Miles Austin was out due to a hamstring injury and Williams saw his snap percentage and targets double. Yes, it's astonishing that he only saw 4 targets the subsequent week when Austin was out again, Williams saw even more of the field and DAL was forced to throw essentially the entire game. Was I looking too hard or were you not looking at all?

I forget if it was NFL total access or playbook but they're totally obsessed with Williams, making it seem as if he was the no-brainer second option for the rest of the season. Only until the end of the segment was Witten's name even mentioned. They were also operating under the assumption that Austin was still injured but I found it funny none the less.

Just one other thought on this. Yes, Williams is more or less a flyer I guess at this point, he could have a good game in a good matchup, but it may be worth remembering he was a 3rd round draft pick and Mr. Jerry does like to see his picks get playing time. Just saying... if he does do something again, bears more than watching and next week will be much tougher to get him. All a gamble of course.

Word is Austin is starting and they'll be rotating on two-wide sets. I agree, it's possible that he has a good game vs. WAS's leaky secondary but his floor seems super low this week.

Fitz is gimpy so I'm stuck between Williams and Bowe. I have a feeling Miles is gonna strain his hammy again today but I don't feel safe with Williams only playing half of snaps if Miles doesn't. I guess I'm rolling with Bowezo the Clown.

You see this thing happened in week 4 where Miles Austin was out due to a hamstring injury and Williams saw his snap percentage and targets double. Yes, it's astonishing that he only saw 4 targets the subsequent week when Austin was out again, Williams saw even more of the field and DAL was forced to throw essentially the entire game. Was I looking too hard or were you not looking at all?

I forget if it was NFL total access or playbook but they're totally obsessed with Williams, making it seem as if he was the no-brainer second option for the rest of the season. Only until the end of the segment was Witten's name even mentioned. They were also operating under the assumption that Austin was still injured but I found it funny none the less.
Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of you opinion

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of you opinion
I stated facts.

2 targets. 2 catches. 1 TD. He seemed to be on the field a lot, but I don't know the snap counts. You have to figure he is more involved as the season goes. He just produces apparently.

Oddly enough, after all the speculation, there's really not much to take away from a game like that. His TD salvaged his fantasy value for those who started him, but Dallas' passing game never really got going -- especially considering what a shootout we were all expecting -- and as a result none of the WRs did anything.

At this point, I don't think we know anything more than we knew on Saturday. Well, other than the fact that Murray's injury could lead to more 3 WR sets and more emphasis on the passing game.

Dropped Williams for Austin. Thanks for the win last week Williams, see you next year
Wow!,not the smartest thing to do.
I could be wrong but I would do that move again today if I were slice. It's not about last game - it's about how you think the next 10 are going to play out. Austin with more targets and an end zone look last night.

Kudos to Williams though.

This guys role is only going to increase. The writing is on the wall. Austin is gone next year, and T-Will clearly has more juice just watching them. (even pre-hammy). I think he'll be WR3 worthy going fwd and possibly even a WR2 depending on his snap count..

Users who are viewing this thread