What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2011 Thread*** (2 Viewers)

and perhaps Beltre jerseys if ESPNDeportes info is correct......probably means that they won't re-sign Vlad which is sad to me but maybe they will get smart and do both

Captain Hook said:
and perhaps Beltre jerseys if ESPNDeportes info is correct......probably means that they won't re-sign Vlad which is sad to me but maybe they will get smart and do both
Young has officially come out and said that he does not want to be moved off of 3B. This makes me think that they are not as close on Beltre as ESPNDeportes thinks. If management was smart, they would at the very least have Young toeing the company line before signing Beltre.But stranger things have happened.

Captain Hook said:
Young has officially come out and said that he does not want to be moved off of 3B. This makes me think that they are not as close on Beltre as ESPNDeportes thinks. If management was smart, they would at the very least have Young toeing the company line before signing Beltre.But stranger things have happened.
Forget all I just typed....
Rangers infielder Michael Young said Monday night he is willing to move positions for the second time in three years and the third time since 2004 if it helps the Rangers land Adrian Beltre. Upon returning from a 10-day trip to California, Young acknowledged that Rangers officials reached out to him in the last couple of days to ask him about moving to DH if the club landed Beltre. “I’ll do what I have to do to stay on this team,” Young said. “I’m happy to be here and proud to be part of this team. I want to stay a part of it. If it means getting the bulk of my at-bats as the DH, then that’s what I’ll do.”

Major man-crush on Mikey Young today. Everything I am reading I have known about him forever, but it just puts further emphasis on what he means to this team and this area.

The guy just wants to win.

I want to see him get 130 starts at 1B down the road, just so he can add that to being the only player with 130 starts at 2B, 3B, and SS.

I am strangely not as excited about Beltre as I think a should be. Check back with me in a couple months.

Why are they paying this guy? We've seen this before. He never approached the numbers he put up in his FA year with the Dodgers. In fact, walks down, K's up and avg tanked during his last big contract. This is a crazy signing.

Why are they paying this guy? We've seen this before. He never approached the numbers he put up in his FA year with the Dodgers. In fact, walks down, K's up and avg tanked during his last big contract. This is a crazy signing.
Read Newberg this morning. He makes some really good points about his numbers during contract vs. non-contract years, and brings in the Ballpark effect on his numbers as well.I am more excited than I thought I would be with this move. Yes, the years and money are pushing that un-comfortable level, but no more than Werth, Lee and Crawford. Reasons I like this trade:

1. Defense upgrade - A huge given, but I don't think it can be emphasized enough. Young is a liability as an everyday 3B, and next to Andrus he looks even worse. Beltre and Andrus make up the best defensive left side of the infield in the AL. Add in Kinsler, YT behind the plate, and Moreland/Davis and I think the infield defense is at an elite level. Hamilton/Borbon/Cruz rounds out a very nice starting eight.

2. I feel like the bat will be special here. His lifetime OPS at TBiA is 0.857 (0.306/0.336/0.521). Not shabby at all. Not sure where he hits, but in this lineup he is going to see good pitches.

3. The guy plays hard and he plays hurt. That will go over well in this clubhouse. Young wanted him and was willing to move, and that will go a long way in the clubhouse as well.

4. He is not an Angel (or an A for that matter). I can only imagine how mad Angel fans are feeling as this off-season winds down. There are 162 to play still, but coming out of the blocks you have to like Texas early in the AL West. Beltre would scare me as an Angel. They really needed him.

I am strangely not as excited about Beltre as I think a should be. Check back with me in a couple months.
Hitting in Arlington should be good for Beltre so another 25-30 home runs in the lineup, but the biggest plus is for the defense and thus the pitchers as Beltre is one of the best defensive third basemen in the game.I think you will be happy with him in the Rangers lineup

Here's an article I read awhile ago when Oakland was chasing him: http://www.athleticsnation.com/2010/12/23/...apped-leftovers

Some interesting points were made. I think he's worth it to you guys. I'm sad Oakland couldn't land him but at least the Angels couldn't get it done. While they'll still be a threat to the division, right now I think the green and gold is your biggest competition to winning the AL West.

Dr. Awesome said:
Here's an article I read awhile ago when Oakland was chasing him: http://www.athleticsnation.com/2010/12/23/...apped-leftovers

Some interesting points were made. I think he's worth it to you guys. I'm sad Oakland couldn't land him but at least the Angels couldn't get it done. While they'll still be a threat to the division, right now I think the green and gold is your biggest competition to winning the AL West.
I fear the A's much MUCH more that the Angels or Seattle. You guys have a very San Fran looking team over there. Should be a good battle this year.

OSB says that Beltre will hit cleanup. So basically trade out Vlad and put Beltre in his spot in the lineup.

Andrus - SS

Young - DH

Hamilton - LF

Beltre - 3B

Cruz - RF

Kinsler - 2B

Moreland - 1B

YT/Treanor - C

Borbon - CF

Murphy is your first stick off the Bench and 4th OF. I think Chris Davis makes this team as the backup 1B/late defensive replacement. Blanco, Teagarden and Gentry finish off your bench.

I think Young will see 80 games in the field this year. Give Kinsler time off to keep him healthy. Give Beltre a night a week at DH maybe, even Elvis can stay fresh. I could see David Murphy starting 100+ games this year at all 3 OF spots and DH.

This team now expects to play more than 162, and the genius of the OSB will be reading the team and giving guys rest or shaking things up when needed.

Just for grins, the rotation as of today, with a whole Spring Training to go:

Wilson

Lewis

Webb

Hunter

Holland/Feldman/ST Surprise

Feliz comes back as your closer. Maybe does a few more 4 or 5 out saves. Francisco is your main set up guy in a rebound year. Old guys from the left (Oliver and Rhodes), young guys from the right (Ogando, Kirkman). Harrison/Feldman are your blowout fodder guys.

Loving this team on paper. Pitchers and Catchers can't come quick enough.

OSB says that Beltre will hit cleanup. So basically trade out Vlad and put Beltre in his spot in the lineup.Andrus - SSYoung - DHHamilton - LFBeltre - 3BCruz - RFKinsler - 2BMoreland - 1BYT/Treanor - CBorbon - CFMurphy is your first stick off the Bench and 4th OF. I think Chris Davis makes this team as the backup 1B/late defensive replacement. Blanco, Teagarden and Gentry finish off your bench. I think Young will see 80 games in the field this year. Give Kinsler time off to keep him healthy. Give Beltre a night a week at DH maybe, even Elvis can stay fresh. I could see David Murphy starting 100+ games this year at all 3 OF spots and DH.This team now expects to play more than 162, and the genius of the OSB will be reading the team and giving guys rest or shaking things up when needed.Just for grins, the rotation as of today, with a whole Spring Training to go:WilsonLewisWebbHunterHolland/Feldman/ST SurpriseFeliz comes back as your closer. Maybe does a few more 4 or 5 out saves. Francisco is your main set up guy in a rebound year. Old guys from the left (Oliver and Rhodes), young guys from the right (Ogando, Kirkman). Harrison/Feldman are your blowout fodder guys.Loving this team on paper. Pitchers and Catchers can't come quick enough.
Why would they carry 3 catchers?I'll be very disappointed if Holland doesn't make the rotation to start the year.

OSB says that Beltre will hit cleanup. So basically trade out Vlad and put Beltre in his spot in the lineup.Andrus - SSYoung - DHHamilton - LFBeltre - 3BCruz - RFKinsler - 2BMoreland - 1BYT/Treanor - CBorbon - CFMurphy is your first stick off the Bench and 4th OF. I think Chris Davis makes this team as the backup 1B/late defensive replacement. Blanco, Teagarden and Gentry finish off your bench. I think Young will see 80 games in the field this year. Give Kinsler time off to keep him healthy. Give Beltre a night a week at DH maybe, even Elvis can stay fresh. I could see David Murphy starting 100+ games this year at all 3 OF spots and DH.This team now expects to play more than 162, and the genius of the OSB will be reading the team and giving guys rest or shaking things up when needed.Just for grins, the rotation as of today, with a whole Spring Training to go:WilsonLewisWebbHunterHolland/Feldman/ST SurpriseFeliz comes back as your closer. Maybe does a few more 4 or 5 out saves. Francisco is your main set up guy in a rebound year. Old guys from the left (Oliver and Rhodes), young guys from the right (Ogando, Kirkman). Harrison/Feldman are your blowout fodder guys.Loving this team on paper. Pitchers and Catchers can't come quick enough.
Why would they carry 3 catchers?I'll be very disappointed if Holland doesn't make the rotation to start the year.
You are probably right about the catchers. Didn't double check my roster spots. with MaxRam gone, I guess Teagarden is the everyday starter at AAA unless needed.I also agree about Holland. Really curious as to how the staff shakes out in ST.

I think Holland will beat out Feldman

The one not listed that would not surprise me to see in the rotation is Eric Hurley

I think Holland will beat out FeldmanThe one not listed that would not surprise me to see in the rotation is Eric Hurley
I agree about Holland over Feldman. And Hurley was exactly who I was thinking about as the "ST Surprise".Can't quite wrap my head around the idea of Jim Thome coming here. First pitch hitter off the bench? DH when Young is in the field? At Bats are already getting pretty scarce. Of course I love the idea, but is it too much of a luxury at this point? He would make the bench look even better, but at what cost?

Thome won't cost much IF they can sign him (which likely means Twins don't because all things being equal I think he would stay in Minnesota) He played for $1.5 million last year and that would be a good, cheap price for the Rangers to sign him at for one year.

He would be a strong LH DH/PH and is a very good clubhouse guy who would help with some of the Rangers younger players (thinking Moreland and Bourbon here)

Interesting that MaxRam has been claimed twice off waivers in 6 days. He is now a Chicago Cub.

Captain Hook said:
Bogart said:
Interesting that MaxRam has been claimed twice off waivers in 6 days. He is now a Chicago Cub.
He needs to be a DH for an AL club
Chicago will soon find this out.I have watched him catch in person a couple of times, and while the guy can rake, the things that hold him back (lack of defense behind the plate, lack of an arm, slowest guy on the planet) really show up when watching from the ballpark.

Does the fact that Tampa took two DHs off the board make Vlad look that much more attractive and someone might give him a two year deal?

I think if JD signed Vlad to a one-year, incentive laden deal, you could wrap up the offseason and start getting ready for Ps&Cs.

meh. would rather have a bunch of AAAA pen types than Vlad again. Only reason to hang on to Vlad is if someone honestly comes along and makes an offer for MY which isn't happening.

Bogart said:
Does the fact that Tampa took two DHs off the board make Vlad look that much more attractive and someone might give him a two year deal?I think if JD signed Vlad to a one-year, incentive laden deal, you could wrap up the offseason and start getting ready for Ps&Cs.
I would rather have signed Thome so the Rangers had a strong LH DH player although Murphy could certainly handle thatSigning Vlad is fine from an overall team perspective and certainly great in the clubhouse but WHO is going to get less AB? I am fine with Young and others sharing the DH spot if they can't get Vlad on reasonable terms and expectations

meh. would rather have a bunch of AAAA pen types than Vlad again. Only reason to hang on to Vlad is if someone honestly comes along and makes an offer for MY which isn't happening.
Don't get me wrong, I'm ready to go to war with the bats we have. My only concern is if someone kneejerks if Moreland starts out slow and all of a sudden Young is playing more and more at 1B. That leaves Murphy as your DH du jour which I am fine with, but it really makes that bench look weaker. I guess that Vlad would just be a nice insurance blanket.Side note: I was listening to some baseball blowhard this morning and he said that he has heard that Andrus is not going to hit leadoff and instead Kinsler will be.I am guessing your lineup would be:KinslerYoungHamiltonBeltreCruzMorelandYT/Matty MayAndrus/BorbonBorbon/AndrusFeels too top heavy in my opinion, but what do I know. If I am the OSB, I tell Elvis and Julio that the leadoff spot is up for grabs, now someone go out there and play baseball.

Great Newberg Report today discussing the Rangers Fan Fest and Winter Carnival. If you haven't read it yet, check it out.This kind of comment makes me really glad this guy is on my team:

Among those in the upload is Josh Hamilton, who stayed at Fan Fest until about 45 minutes after his autograph session – and the entire event – was supposed to have ended. He didn’t budge until the last fan with an autograph ticket was taken care of.

Rangers trade Frankie Francisco to Toronto for Mike Napoli.

Interesting. Is that your extra bat off the bench? Where does Napoli fit in the catching ranks on the team? Play some 1B?

Rangers trade Frankie Francisco to Toronto for Mike Napoli.Interesting. Is that your extra bat off the bench? Where does Napoli fit in the catching ranks on the team? Play some 1B?
I think it is a great move by JD ....As long As they platoon Napoli (for the most part) guy murders LHP, not so good against RHP and NOT a good defensive catcher, but as a backup catcher, backup DH and backup at first base, again most of those AB against LH SP or pinch hitting appearances seems like a good bat to help the club - and they didn't pay much for him (even though I like FF and will miss seeing his wife at spring training)

Rangers trade Frankie Francisco to Toronto for Mike Napoli.Interesting. Is that your extra bat off the bench? Where does Napoli fit in the catching ranks on the team? Play some 1B?
I'm assuming he'll get time at C, 1B, and DH. Good bat to bring in against lefties.

My concern is that we saw this bullpen w/o frankie in the playoffs. Have to asssume Ogando needs to be the real set-up man and Rhodes/Oliver don't remember that they are 40 years old.

All the talk of trading Young before the season needs to be put to bed. It makes the Napoli trade make less sense if you do. To quote Newberg:

If everyone’s healthy, the 13 position players on the Opening Day roster will include three catchers, three first basemen, three second basemen, two shortstops, three third basemen, and five outfielders, three of whom can play center field.
Yes, 13 <> 19. That is the flexablility that this team is going to have for it's position players. You don't trade that Game One. You make your move at the Trade Deadline. You let things play out, hope you don't have injuries, and then make a move to shore up a hole going into October.Just spent 10 mins at the water cooler with several co-workers simply discussing batting orders, bench options, NL type double switch situations, etc.Who cares about the Super Bowl being here? It's all about baseball in freakin' January.

Looks like this group is ready to head to ST.

Love Nolan coming out and calling for 90-95 wins this year. This team needs to be able to put that kind of pressure on themselves.

Olney has predicted Texas to win the West. (And strangly enough he has picked the A's to win the WC.)

Love Nolan coming out and calling for 90-95 wins this year. This team needs to be able to put that kind of pressure on themselves.

Olney has predicted Texas to win the West. (And strangly enough he has picked the A's to win the WC.)
Nothing strange about that. I mean, I picked 'em to win the West but I'll be cool with the WC. :rolleyes:

Nothing strange about that. I mean, I picked 'em to win the West but I'll be cool with the WC. :shrug:
IF their starters and Bailey can stay healthy and pitch all season they will be in contention for the playoffs - long time since that was the case

Looking like Young gets moved before ST. Mixed feelings obviously, but I think overall it probably helps the team.

Young is an excellent hitter and has been an important part of the franchise. He is also a very nice guy. I would hate to see him get kicked to the curb just as the franchise starts to enjoy success. Still I think the Rangers would have to get something significant to trade him - otherwise just let him be part time DH and infield utility guy getting more guys some rest AND being a fallback in case Moreland has trouble in his second big league season.

There is also a rumor that the Rangers are interested in signing Russell Branyan to be a LH hitting DH and possible part time platoon 1B. I think that would be a great move - he will sign for a relatively small amount and can still hit - would be great in Arlington.

Young is an excellent hitter and has been an important part of the franchise. He is also a very nice guy. I would hate to see him get kicked to the curb just as the franchise starts to enjoy success. Still I think the Rangers would have to get something significant to trade him - otherwise just let him be part time DH and infield utility guy getting more guys some rest AND being a fallback in case Moreland has trouble in his second big league season.There is also a rumor that the Rangers are interested in signing Russell Branyan to be a LH hitting DH and possible part time platoon 1B. I think that would be a great move - he will sign for a relatively small amount and can still hit - would be great in Arlington.
Calling Young an excellent hitter is a bit of a stretch. He's definitely not what he used to be, and he wasn't spectacular before. He's a pretty big liability defensively at this point too.If we have a platoon of Napoli/Murphy at DH, and they perform at the levels they have in their careers, they will put up quite a bit better numbers than Young would, and that's not including the times we can put Hamilton/Cruz in the DH spots to get them days off of the field.So if you realistically look at the situation, we're going to effectively be paying someone 16 million per year for 3 years to be a below average defensive utility infielder and a DH who probably isn't going to perform as well as other options on the team.As far as getting something "significant", you can keep dreaming. The most likely kind of deal the Rangers would be something like. Young + 15M$ for Jose Lopez and a low level prospect. Young makes way too much money and is way too old for us to be getting anything. The only way we get anything of real value is if we take back a bad contract from whoever we are trading with and I don't really think that's the direction this FO wants to go. Trading him is basically a salary dump, because we are scared he hits his 10/5 rights in May and we can't trade him away without his permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZBTHorton said:
Young is an excellent hitter and has been an important part of the franchise. He is also a very nice guy. I would hate to see him get kicked to the curb just as the franchise starts to enjoy success. Still I think the Rangers would have to get something significant to trade him - otherwise just let him be part time DH and infield utility guy getting more guys some rest AND being a fallback in case Moreland has trouble in his second big league season.There is also a rumor that the Rangers are interested in signing Russell Branyan to be a LH hitting DH and possible part time platoon 1B. I think that would be a great move - he will sign for a relatively small amount and can still hit - would be great in Arlington.
Calling Young an excellent hitter is a bit of a stretch. He's definitely not what he used to be, and he wasn't spectacular before. He's a pretty big liability defensively at this point too.If we have a platoon of Napoli/Murphy at DH, and they perform at the levels they have in their careers, they will put up quite a bit better numbers than Young would, and that's not including the times we can put Hamilton/Cruz in the DH spots to get them days off of the field.So if you realistically look at the situation, we're going to effectively be paying someone 16 million per year for 3 years to be a below average defensive utility infielder and a DH who probably isn't going to perform as well as other options on the team.As far as getting something "significant", you can keep dreaming. The most likely kind of deal the Rangers would be something like. Young + 15M$ for Jose Lopez and a low level prospect. Young makes way too much money and is way too old for us to be getting anything. The only way we get anything of real value is if we take back a bad contract from whoever we are trading with and I don't really think that's the direction this FO wants to go. Trading him is basically a salary dump, because we are scared he hits his 10/5 rights in May and we can't trade him away without his permission.
Sorry but I think your comments are wrong on so many levels that I will not argue the points - Especially now that Young has requested the trade.....but even that is a problem if the $20+ mil that is now being suggested that the Rangers will have to include in the deal is correct. Hopefully they can find a different trade partner who might actually want Young or get a much better player than a terrible Jose Lopez - Ty Wigginton would be a much better return if they deal with Colorado.

Woof.

The one issue that hasn't been brought up -- yet -- is his Home/Road splits. Hitting in one of baseball's best parks for hitters, he hit 16 of his 21 HR at home last year, and his Home/Road OPS split was nearly 200 points. To put this in perspective, on the Road, in 334 AB's he hit .260 with five home runs, a .299 OBP, and a .380 SLG -- and he will turn 35 in October.

Woof.

The one issue that hasn't been brought up -- yet -- is his Home/Road splits. Hitting in one of baseball's best parks for hitters, he hit 16 of his 21 HR at home last year, and his Home/Road OPS split was nearly 200 points. To put this in perspective, on the Road, in 334 AB's he hit .260 with five home runs, a .299 OBP, and a .380 SLG -- and he will turn 35 in October.
Yikes. ;)

I'll be happy to drive Young to the airport upon request. Never understood the contract then, and now it just looks horrid. Eating half of it wouldn't bother me as he's easily only worth half that contract (or less) now.

ZBTHorton said:
Sorry but I think your comments are wrong on so many levels that I will not argue the points - Especially now that Young has requested the trade.....but even that is a problem if the $20+ mil that is now being suggested that the Rangers will have to include in the deal is correct. Hopefully they can find a different trade partner who might actually want Young or get a much better player than a terrible Jose Lopez - Ty Wigginton would be a much better return if they deal with Colorado.
Can you at least tell me where I'm wrong?Murphy's splits against RHP and Napoli's splits against LHP are both going to outperform Young. That isn't to say he doesn't have value as a utility IF, especially in case of injury. But if we're talking raw DH numbers, we can likely platoon better numbers than he will produce for way less than 16M per.Murphy v RHP .298 .368 .479Young v RHP .270 .314 .425 Napoli v LHP .305 .399 .567 Young v LHP .322 .374 .497The issue with trading Young has nothing to do with finding a team that wants him. Probably 15 teams have a spot for him to play. But he's being drastically overpaid @ 16M per, and that contract has 3 more years left. We just aren't going to get a very usable player for him. Our best shot is getting a low risk high upside prospect included.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be happy to drive Young to the airport upon request. Never understood the contract then, and now it just looks horrid. Eating half of it wouldn't bother me as he's easily only worth half that contract (or less) now.
We should have known the "I'll play DH/super utility role gladly" was too good to be true. I never liked the contract, and I may have once or twice posted how he should be gone. But then we win the AL Crown (yes we, I had a pinch runner apperance in that game that wasn't on TV), and I figure it is fine to keep him on, don't worry about the contract (not my money) and let him be FACE.Now everything is coming out that he is unhappy with his role and how the FO is treating him. I guess 48 million is not enough to keep your ego in check.To me, the worst part of Young's reasoning behind being mad is that he doesn't want playing DH to hurt his status as a position player going into his NEXT contract. Mike, you are 35 years old and suck defensively. Their is no market for a 38 year old declining hitter with little to no defensive skills. New York had that opening but they signed Jeter.

Hamilton signs. 2 years, $24 million. :shrug:

This is a nice little streak...

With Hamilton agreeing to terms, the Rangers have signed all their arbitration-eligible players. They have not had an arbitration hearing with a player since Lee Stevens in 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread