What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2011 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Just throwing this out there... heard a Polanco/Blanton for Young rumor on Philly radio today. Anything down in Texas?

Just throwing this out there... heard a Polanco/Blanton for Young rumor on Philly radio today. Anything down in Texas?
LOL at a Philly radio station picking that up - it was suggested on MLB network by one of the former players. Not sure what the Rangers would do with Polanco - he would be an expensive utility guy, but maybe they could flip Polanco+prospect for something usefulBlanton I think would have to be of interest and really this is a trade that helps both clubs as far as the players, but I don't know the Blanton and Polanco salaries.Young would be a nice upgrade for the Phillies offene and put another RH bat in that lineup.

LOL at a Philly radio station picking that up - it was suggested on MLB network by one of the former players. Not sure what the Rangers would do with Polanco - he would be an expensive utility guy, but maybe they could flip Polanco+prospect for something usefulBlanton I think would have to be of interest and really this is a trade that helps both clubs as far as the players, but I don't know the Blanton and Polanco salaries.Young would be a nice upgrade for the Phillies offene and put another RH bat in that lineup.
Cool, didn't know it came from MLB network, and they could've mentioned that, I didn't hear where they got it from as I was only listening for a few minutes while they were discussing it. As far as salaries go, Blanton is at 8.5 for this year and next and Polanco has this year left at 5.25 I believe. Forgive my ignorance, who do you guys have at third? I was assuming, wrongly, that Placido could play 3b for you guys.

Cool, didn't know it came from MLB network, and they could've mentioned that, I didn't hear where they got it from as I was only listening for a few minutes while they were discussing it. As far as salaries go, Blanton is at 8.5 for this year and next and Polanco has this year left at 5.25 I believe. Forgive my ignorance, who do you guys have at third? I was assuming, wrongly, that Placido could play 3b for you guys.
Just signed Adrian Beltre

Just signed Adrian Beltre
:lmao: :goodposting: Can't believe I forgot that one so fast. I need to get studying....

So Young was going, and now he is staying. I hate when Mommy and Daddy fight. And then stay together anyway.

Smart move by him, when he realized that there was not a possible trade, to be a good soldier, show up to camp, show no ill toward the team, OSB or Ryan. He can be pissed at JD all he wants. Knowing both of them, they smooth things out before the All Star break.

So Young was going, and now he is staying. I hate when Mommy and Daddy fight. And then stay together anyway.Smart move by him, when he realized that there was not a possible trade, to be a good soldier, show up to camp, show no ill toward the team, OSB or Ryan. He can be pissed at JD all he wants. Knowing both of them, they smooth things out before the All Star break.
Well they might have plenty of time to be tense around each other. Daniels expended to 2015.http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/04/rangers-extend-gm-jon-daniels-contract-through-2015/

Rumors coming out this morning that Chuck Greenberg might step down as Rangers CEO to persue other interests.

This would really suck. Chuck and Nolan compliment each other very well and have this thing going in a very good direction.

Rumors coming out this morning that Chuck Greenberg might step down as Rangers CEO to persue other interests.This would really suck. Chuck and Nolan compliment each other very well and have this thing going in a very good direction.
Well, Chuck is gone per the local paper. Nolan is your new CEO.Still not completely happy about this. Still better than Hicks still owning the team.

Chuck seemed like a decent guy, but I could see where he rubbed some people the wrong way.

1. All his trash talk to the Yankees- I hate them too, but the CEO needs to be above flinging crap to another organization.

2. The way he acted last year in the post season. I appreciated his enthusiasm and excitement about the playoffs... I was excited too. But he gave off this vibe like he had so much to do with the success last year when he was only a couple months on the job...

3. He was looked at by many on the radio as the new owner, when in fact he had a very minority interest in the club. I'm sure this rubbed many of the real owners wrong. Not to mention good ole oil and gas Texas boys don't have much use for a hot shot yankee lawyer from Pittsburgh.

Chuck seemed like a decent guy, but I could see where he rubbed some people the wrong way. 1. All his trash talk to the Yankees- I hate them too, but the CEO needs to be above flinging crap to another organization. 2. The way he acted last year in the post season. I appreciated his enthusiasm and excitement about the playoffs... I was excited too. But he gave off this vibe like he had so much to do with the success last year when he was only a couple months on the job... 3. He was looked at by many on the radio as the new owner, when in fact he had a very minority interest in the club. I'm sure this rubbed many of the real owners wrong. Not to mention good ole oil and gas Texas boys don't have much use for a hot shot yankee lawyer from Pittsburgh.
3) plays a whole lot into this. It was funny watching the thing take place on this board where people mainly derive their information about the Rangers from the media. Even the media was fooled into thinking Chuck had a huge% stake in the thing and likewise I spent a good deal of interwebbing trying to show that chuck really was a very thinly funded frontman. Then the guy goes off and tries to play super GM and that was that.

Chuck seemed like a decent guy, but I could see where he rubbed some people the wrong way. 1. All his trash talk to the Yankees- I hate them too, but the CEO needs to be above flinging crap to another organization. 2. The way he acted last year in the post season. I appreciated his enthusiasm and excitement about the playoffs... I was excited too. But he gave off this vibe like he had so much to do with the success last year when he was only a couple months on the job... 3. He was looked at by many on the radio as the new owner, when in fact he had a very minority interest in the club. I'm sure this rubbed many of the real owners wrong. Not to mention good ole oil and gas Texas boys don't have much use for a hot shot yankee lawyer from Pittsburgh.
3) plays a whole lot into this. It was funny watching the thing take place on this board where people mainly derive their information about the Rangers from the media. Even the media was fooled into thinking Chuck had a huge% stake in the thing and likewise I spent a good deal of interwebbing trying to show that chuck really was a very thinly funded frontman. Then the guy goes off and tries to play super GM and that was that.
I will admit I got sucked into the ego of Chuck. I would imagine this thing is going to be just fine with Nolan out front and the two big money guys backing him up. Of the three, I would want Nolan and JD here way ahead of Chuck.My buddy had the best text when it all came down: "This isn't A ball Chuck."

I think the loss of Lewin is just now sinking in on me. I'm not sure I'm really all that excited about the season as a result. Rhadigan has always been so dry to me.

Matt Harrison is pitching very well so far... Hunter not so much. If they want to give Feliz a shot at rotation we could start with a rotation of CJ, Colby, Harrison, Holland, Feliz with Webb getting in there after a few weeks. At this point CJ and Colby are the only two with spots in the rotation.

I think the loss of Lewin is just now sinking in on me. I'm not sure I'm really all that excited about the season as a result. Rhadigan has always been so dry to me.
I gagree completely. With just the couple of ST games I have watched with Rads on the play be play, you can tell that is the best you ate going to get, and it sucks. Nothing against him, but Rhadigan just does not have it. Will be watching a lot with the sound down.

I can't believe this late into ST we still don't know where Feliz is pitching, and it seems like where ever he is not pitching is going to be a weak spot. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. This pitching staff has me feeling not so happy right now.

I gagree completely. With just the couple of ST games I have watched with Rads on the play be play, you can tell that is the best you ate going to get, and it sucks. Nothing against him, but Rhadigan just does not have it. Will be watching a lot with the sound down.
It is a totally different thing than when Lewin came on the scene. He was an unknown factor here, and it rubbed a few people the wrong way. Over time he grew on most everyone except Ryan I guess. I'm about to shut down my TV package to locals only. I may just try to catch streams when I can. If I can't stand the announcers I may as well just catch the box scores and highlights the next day.

It is a totally different thing than when Lewin came on the scene. He was an unknown factor here, and it rubbed a few people the wrong way. Over time he grew on most everyone except Ryan I guess. I'm about to shut down my TV package to locals only. I may just try to catch streams when I can. If I can't stand the announcers I may as well just catch the box scores and highlights the next day.
I will be catching most of the games this year on the radio, and still love Eric Nadel. On the occasion I can catch the game on TV, I will just play the radio broadcast next to the TV or take that time to listen to new music that I never seem to get around to listening to.

What do you guys think of Moreland? How many ABs and where will he hit in the order? Are Napoli/Young going to steal ABs?

'cosjobs said:
'E-Z Glider said:
What do you guys think of Moreland? How many ABs and where will he hit in the order? Are Napoli/Young going to steal ABs?
I think he gets maybe 450 ABs. Davis is who he needs to worry about.
Really? Rotoworld seems to think Davis is as good as gone?
Chris Davis indicated that he wants to be traded if he doesn't make the Rangers' Opening Day roster.

"I just want to be in the big leagues, whether it’s here or somewhere else," Davis said. "In all fairness, I’ve done everything the Rangers have asked me to do. I’ve been a good sport about it. I’ve had a smile on my face and a good attitude about it. When it comes down to it, the fair thing to do is to give me a shot either here or somewhere else." He's almost surely not going to crack the Rangers roster, so his only hope of being in a major league uniform on Opening Day is if he's dealt. It could happen, as Rangers GM Jon Daniels has been fielding calls from other teams about the 25-year-old

'cosjobs said:
'E-Z Glider said:
Chris Davis indicated that he wants to be traded if he doesn't make the Rangers' Opening Day roster.

"I just want to be in the big leagues, whether it’s here or somewhere else," Davis said. "In all fairness, I’ve done everything the Rangers have asked me to do. I’ve been a good sport about it. I’ve had a smile on my face and a good attitude about it. When it comes down to it, the fair thing to do is to give me a shot either here or somewhere else." He's almost surely not going to crack the Rangers roster, so his only hope of being in a major league uniform on Opening Day is if he's dealt. It could happen, as Rangers GM Jon Daniels has been fielding calls from other teams about the 25-year-old
He would love to be gone, but the Rangers still hold the power with him having one option left. I don't think he is going anywhere. You want to make sure Moreland can handle the gig at first and not cough it up (ala Davis in 09, 10) and make sure Beltre is 100 percent. Davis and his .410 average this spring make a nice security blanket.

'cosjobs said:
'E-Z Glider said:

He would love to be gone, but the Rangers still hold the power with him having one option left. I don't think he is going anywhere. You want to make sure Moreland can handle the gig at first and not cough it up (ala Davis in 09, 10) and make sure Beltre is 100 percent. Davis and his .410 average this spring make a nice security blanket.
Yeah, PT is definitely a concern. I guess that's what makes him a sleeper. If I knew he'd get 500 ABs, Id take him. If I knew he'd get 400, I wouldnt.

'cosjobs said:
'E-Z Glider said:

"I just want to be in the big leagues, whether it's here or somewhere else," Davis said. "In all fairness, I've done everything the Rangers have asked me to do. I've been a good sport about it. I've had a smile on my face and a good attitude about it. When it comes down to it, the fair thing to do is to give me a shot either here or somewhere else." He's almost surely not going to crack the Rangers roster, so his only hope of being in a major league uniform on Opening Day is if he's dealt. It could happen, as Rangers GM Jon Daniels has been fielding calls from other teams about the 25-year-old
There are several ifs that could get Davis 450 abs - Borbon keeps dropping flyballs and Moreland moves to left and Josh back to center; Beltre gets hurt; YOung gets traded; Davis gets traded. All together I think its a 50/50 prop Davis gets the ABs he needs to be well worth the top 300 pick he costs you.

I think this makes sense for now. The bullpen needs some stability. The starters are established a bit more than Feliz at this point.
hunter with groin injury...seems not serious, but we never knowhttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/24/bad-timing-tommy-hunter-suffers-strained-right-groin/

I think this makes sense for now. The bullpen needs some stability. The starters are established a bit more than Feliz at this point.
I think Daniels and company are 100% confident Feliz would be a good SP this year, and a great one after that. However, they are not confident with how the rest of the bullpen chips would fall without Feliz in the ninth. They'd rather have Hunter and Harrison start than Ogando/Lowe handle closing. My hopes are that Ogando gains the confidence of the front office to be the closer next year and Scheppers steps in to Ogando's role (or Scheppers closes), freeing Feliz up to be a full-time starter. Or they just buy Heath Bell or Joaquin Soria.

http://hardballtalk....in-the-bullpen/

rotation

Wilson

Lewis

Harrison

Hunter

Holland
I think Daniels and company are 100% confident Feliz would be a good SP this year, and a great one after that. However, they are not confident with how the rest of the bullpen chips would fall without Feliz in the ninth. They'd rather have Hunter and Harrison start than Ogando/Lowe handle closing. My hopes are that Ogando gains the confidence of the front office to be the closer next year and Scheppers steps in to Ogando's role (or Scheppers closes), freeing Feliz up to be a full-time starter. Or they just buy Heath Bell or Joaquin Soria.
I think they should be giving Scheppers a serious test drive right now. I think he could shine if given the opportunity like Feliz was.

hunter with groin injury...seems not serious, but we never knowhttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/24/bad-timing-tommy-hunter-suffers-strained-right-groin/
More info on injury appears to be at least 6 weeks. Alexi or Dave Bush with Kirkman as a possible???

Matty May traded to the Royals for cash money.

I think this hurts Napoli because you can't DH your backup catcher as much as you would DH your "third" catcher, so helps out Mike Young.

Also looks like the Rangers will start the season with 8 arms in the bullpen and only 3 bats on the bench.

Matty May traded to the Royals for cash money.I think this hurts Napoli because you can't DH your backup catcher as much as you would DH your "third" catcher, so helps out Mike Young.Also looks like the Rangers will start the season with 8 arms in the bullpen and only 3 bats on the bench.
The Francisco trade was weird to me at the time. Getting a 250 or so at bat a guy did not seem as important as having a at minimium 8th inning guy if not closer. If Frankie is here (and healthy I know) then Feliz to the rotation might be a no brainer. With Alexi in the mix with the old guys seems to be a reasonable bullpen option. Now, the bullpen is down at least two guys (Frankie and Alexi) and the back-up catching/pitch hitting/DH depth is more in flux. Hopefully this is not a costly overthink on the Rangers part.

From Jamey:

According to various local reports, Texas will option Chris Davis, Craig Gentry, and Taylor Teagarden to AAA Round Rock and will reassign Brett Tomko to the same club. Righthanders Pedro Strop, Mason Tobin, and Mark Lowe have secured big league bullpen roles and Alexi Ogando starts the season in the Rangers' rotation.

So I guess Borbon makes the team and starts in CF. Get your head right with ball, Julio!!!

I think Davis just bids his time a bit and will be the first call up if Moreland struggles or Beltre gets hurt. Gentry is a AAAA player and Teagarden might be the same.

From Jamey:

According to various local reports, Texas will option Chris Davis, Craig Gentry, and Taylor Teagarden to AAA Round Rock and will reassign Brett Tomko to the same club. Righthanders Pedro Strop, Mason Tobin, and Mark Lowe have secured big league bullpen roles and Alexi Ogando starts the season in the Rangers' rotation.

So I guess Borbon makes the team and starts in CF. Get your head right with ball, Julio!!!

I think Davis just bids his time a bit and will be the first call up if Moreland struggles or Beltre gets hurt. Gentry is a AAAA player and Teagarden might be the same.
I know probably not in the very short term, but does Tobin project in anyway as a starter? he had so few appearance in very low minor leagues that I can't find much speculation on him long-term. anything will be halpful.

From Jamey:

I know probably not in the very short term, but does Tobin project in anyway as a starter? he had so few appearance in very low minor leagues that I can't find much speculation on him long-term. anything will be halpful.
I know about as much as you do right now: Rule 5 guy, Tommy John surgery, big kid. The people who watched him in surprise, Newberg, Scott Lucas, etc, really liked what they saw out of him.

From Jamey:

I know about as much as you do right now: Rule 5 guy, Tommy John surgery, big kid. The people who watched him in surprise, Newberg, Scott Lucas, etc, really liked what they saw out of him.
If this Tobin guy works out, there's a Rangers scout out there somewhere that deserves a big raise.

Opening Day Lineup:

2B Ian Kinsler

SS Elvis Andrus

LF Josh Hamilton

3B Adrian Beltre

DH Michael Young

RF Nelson Cruz

1B Mike Napoli

C Yorvit Torrealba

CF Julio Borbon

Napoli getting the start against a lefty is expected. Cruz batting behind Young is interesting. This lineup should score some runs.

Fun start to the season. :thumbup:

I didn't find tickets this year but did leave work early enough to watch at home. Taking the squid to Sunday's game.

Wow, that had to feel good for Beltre. They didn't want him after a monster year. They walk Hamilton to load the bases for him.

Wow, that had to feel good for Beltre. They didn't want him after a monster year. They walk Hamilton to load the bases for him.
My mother-in-law and I in spearate rooms went what the bleep is Boston doing? and then the Grand Slam happened. I am happy as a Rangers fan though.

Users who are viewing this thread