What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL***The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion thread (1 Viewer)

Don't forget all the deadric shrine quests. The reward for the last quest is super-green
I've accepeted two quests from people who want to add to their collections, is what you're talking about? They just seemed boring. Is it worth following up on? Also, what means "super-green" ?
He's talking about the shrines to the specific Daedric princes.

This thread is slowly dying.

Has anyone here finished yet? I feel like I am probably getting kind of close.

I've finished all the guild quests (mage, fighters, thieves, DB) and I've gotten all the aid for Bruma by closing the Oblivion Gates outside Kvatch, Anvil, Chorral, Skingrad, and Lleyowyn (sp?).

besides cave diving and random misc quests, all I have left is the main storyline. I've given Martin the books and he's begun to decipher the thing, he just sent me to get the Armor of Tiber Septim.

With 6 or 7 Obl gates closed, and not much left to do on the side, I'm thinking I'll probably finish it this week sometime. Anyone else done? How much more do I have?
I feel I have spent a ridiculous amount of time with this game (80ish hours). Beat just about every quest I can... Didn't find all the Ayelid statues (I dislike random dungeon diving) and I'm only a level 14 so I couldn't finish all the Daedric quests, but I did all the ones I'm eligible for. Since I don't like random dungeon diving, I feel a lot of this game is probably wasted on me (there are probably damn near 30 or more locations I didn't even go into). I may eventually start another game with a magic based character instead of a Nord-tank, and make it so my character levelled faster, but other than that I don't see a lot of replay value here. Great game though.

Well I know there is a lot of info in here but 39 pages is a bit to go through. I am a total newbie at this kind of game. Any suggestions on first character?

Well I know there is a lot of info in here but 39 pages is a bit to go through. I am a total newbie at this kind of game. Any suggestions on first character?
It completely depends on how you want to go... A few options:If you want to be a hand-to-hand combat badass, be either a male orc or a redguard. Choose sign of the warrior.

If you want to be pure magic based, be a elf/dark elf under the Mage birth sign.

If you want to be a stealthy assasin/thief, go with female Khajiit under the sign of the Thief or the Shadow.

A good balance between magic and combat is a male elf, under the sign of the lady.

thats a start, anyway.

It completely depends on how you want to go... A few options:If you want to be a hand-to-hand combat badass, be either a male orc or a redguard. Choose sign of the warrior.

If you want to be pure magic based, be a elf/dark elf under the Mage birth sign.

If you want to be a stealthy assasin/thief, go with female Khajiit under the sign of the Thief or the Shadow.

A good balance between magic and combat is a male elf, under the sign of the lady.

thats a start, anyway.
Thanks. Balance sounds like the way to go.

Has anyone here finished yet?  I feel like I am probably getting kind of close.

I've finished all the guild quests (mage, fighters, thieves, DB) and I've gotten all the aid for Bruma by closing the Oblivion Gates outside Kvatch, Anvil, Chorral, Skingrad, and Lleyowyn (sp?). 

besides cave diving and random misc quests, all I have left is the main storyline.  I've given Martin the books and he's begun to decipher the thing, he just sent me to get the Armor of Tiber Septim. 

With 6 or 7 Obl gates closed, and not much left to do on the side, I'm thinking I'll probably finish it this week sometime.  Anyone else done?  How much more do I have?
I feel I have spent a ridiculous amount of time with this game (80ish hours). Beat just about every quest I can... Didn't find all the Ayelid statues (I dislike random dungeon diving) and I'm only a level 14 so I couldn't finish all the Daedric quests, but I did all the ones I'm eligible for. Since I don't like random dungeon diving, I feel a lot of this game is probably wasted on me (there are probably damn near 30 or more locations I didn't even go into). I may eventually start another game with a magic based character instead of a Nord-tank, and make it so my character levelled faster, but other than that I don't see a lot of replay value here. Great game though.
:shock: 57 hours here but lvl 33.

What exactly are you doing with your guy?

Don't forget all the deadric shrine quests. The reward for the last quest is super-green
I've accepeted two quests from people who want to add to their collections, is what you're talking about? They just seemed boring. Is it worth following up on? Also, what means "super-green" ?
Nope, its the shrines to the daedric gods that are scattered around. They are all individual quests, some very cool/funny with some nice items. When you complete tham all, you get "summoned" to a last one with a very, very nice reward:
The reward is a book with three "paths" you can choose that gives 10 to each of: PATH OF STEEL: Strength, Speed, Blade, Blunt, and Heavy Armor.

PATH OF SHADOW: Speed, Acrobatics, Sneak, Security, Light Armor

PATH OF SPIRIT: Intelligence, Alteration, Destruction, Conjuration, Restoration
super-green is an ultra-:nerd:y reference to Chris Tucker's character in The Fifth Element :bag:

Nope, its the shrines to the daedric gods that are scattered around. They are all individual quests, some very cool/funny with some nice items.
Is the sanguine one, where you attend the naked party, one of these? That may be the only one I've hit.

Nope, its the shrines to the daedric gods that are scattered around. They are all individual quests, some very cool/funny with some nice items.
Is the sanguine one, where you attend the naked party, one of these? That may be the only one I've hit.
Yep, thats one of em. There are 16 total including the last one.

Has anyone here finished yet?  I feel like I am probably getting kind of close.

besides cave diving and random misc quests, all I have left is the main storyline.  I've given Martin the books and he's begun to decipher the thing, he just sent me to get the Armor of Tiber Septim.  

With 6 or 7 Obl gates closed, and not much left to do on the side, I'm thinking I'll probably finish it this week sometime.   Anyone else done?   How much more do I have?
:shock: 57 hours here but lvl 33.

What exactly are you doing with your guy?
I read all the character creation guides before I started and I was worried about leveling too fast and getting overwhelmed, so I basically made it so my major skills were all stuff I wouldn't use. I wanted to make sure I had all my attribute bonuses maxed out on each level up. It worked, I didn't struggle in combat throughout the whole game, but I missed out on some quests and probably some cooler magic items later on.

I read all the character creation guides before I started and I was worried about leveling too fast and getting overwhelmed, so I basically made it so my major skills were all stuff I wouldn't use. I wanted to make sure I had all my attribute bonuses maxed out on each level up. It worked, I didn't struggle in combat throughout the whole game, but I missed out on some quests and probably some cooler magic items later on.
NCCommish, this is good advice for starting out. I wish I had done, as I'm having a lot of trouble with combat right now (at level 20).

Yes. The ending was pretty neat, but still not as difficult as liberating Kvatch.I've moved on with a new char, playing very sparingly, just wandering around the map like Kwai Chang Caine before I even go to the IC. Gonna see how hand to hand works out for me.

Yes. The ending was pretty neat, but still not as difficult as liberating Kvatch.I've moved on with a new char, playing very sparingly, just wandering around the map like Kwai Chang Caine before I even go to the IC. Gonna see how hand to hand works out for me.
I probably am not going to go for another character. I started as a tank but really worked on my magic skills. The only think I never really got good (at least decent, anyway) with was blunt, hand to hand, and marksman. Everything else is at least lvl 50. While this game rules, I don't think it will have hig replay value for me. On top of that, I still have an unopened copy of Battlefield 2 waiting for me. :nerd:

I probably am not going to go for another character. I started as a tank but really worked on my magic skills. The only think I never really got good (at least decent, anyway) with was blunt, hand to hand, and marksman. Everything else is at least lvl 50.

While this game rules, I don't think it will have hig replay value for me. On top of that, I still have an unopened copy of Battlefield 2 waiting for me. :nerd:
I can understand that if you did everything the first time through. I haven't done any Thieve's or DB quest lines, and had a huge queue of quests when I finished, so I'll at least go through those guild quests before I shelve this one. I'm just glad I don't feel the urge to play every single night any more.

I probably am not going to go for another character. I started as a tank but really worked on my magic skills. The only think I never really got good (at least decent, anyway) with was blunt, hand to hand, and marksman. Everything else is at least lvl 50. While this game rules, I don't think it will have hig replay value for me. On top of that, I still have an unopened copy of Battlefield 2 waiting for me. :nerd:
OPEN IT DAMN IT!

I'm at level 20, and have only finished one thing completely, Arena Champion. I'm almost done with the DB and Mage Guild, but haven't even started the Fighters or Thieves yet, and I've only closed the Kvatch gate. There are just a boatload of caves/shrines/etc. that I haven't even touched yet, and I doubt I'll come close to checking them all out. It's pretty sick how quickly the goodies can change in this game - you go to sleep for a few levels and wake up with Ebony and Glass stuff popping up all around you :hophead:

hey NCC, Ahrn gave you some great information about character creation. I wanted to give you a link to a side that has a lot of FAQ's about Oblivion and is a treasure chest of information to get you started and give you an idea of what direction you go.LINK

This site will be your friend, all the FAQs are written by regular people and give you different prespectives.

hey NCC, Ahrn gave you some great information about character creation. I wanted to give you a link to a side that has a lot of FAQ's about Oblivion and is a treasure chest of information to get you started and give you an idea of what direction you go.LINK

This site will be your friend, all the FAQs are written by regular people and give you different prespectives.
Thanks very much. So much going on that you can never have to much info.I would like to also like to thank Mad Cow the enabler. I was up until 4 this morning playing arond with this. Good thing I can do most pc repair in my sleep because I did today.

So for some reason if I even went up to a guard to talk, they'd try to arrest me. I don't know...I must have done something wrong without even knowing it. So I just said the hell with it and killed a bunch of guards. My bounty is now up to 2040. Was that stupid? I saved before I did it, so I can go back.

So for some reason if I even went up to a guard to talk, they'd try to arrest me. I don't know...I must have done something wrong without even knowing it. So I just said the hell with it and killed a bunch of guards. My bounty is now up to 2040. Was that stupid? I saved before I did it, so I can go back.
not that bad -- the next time you encounter guards, just pay up or do the jail time if you dont want to pay. doesnt really do much more than give you more infamy, i believe.

not that bad -- the next time you encounter guards, just pay up or do the jail time if you dont want to pay. doesnt really do much more than give you more infamy, i believe.
Can I just keep killing them every time? I'm getting a bit bored lately, and killing random people might be fun

Can I just keep killing them every time? I'm getting a bit bored lately, and killing random people might be fun
you can, but there are plenty more random people to kill than guards :) If you've finished the DB quests, try all the Daedric shrine quests. Some cool missions in there and a lot of nice magic items for rewards.

you can, but there are plenty more random people to kill than guards :) If you've finished the DB quests, try all the Daedric shrine quests. Some cool missions in there and a lot of nice magic items for rewards.
Nah, not even close to finished with anything yet...just looking for a diversion.Ok, idiotic question of the day: How the hell do I enter Bruma Caverns? I found a big rock and it says "Bruma Caverns" on the screen whenever I walk up to it, but I don't see an enterance anywhere.

Nah, not even close to finished with anything yet...just looking for a diversion.Ok, idiotic question of the day: How the hell do I enter Bruma Caverns? I found a big rock and it says "Bruma Caverns" on the screen whenever I walk up to it, but I don't see an enterance anywhere.
the map points tend to be a little vague in origin. look around for a rock formation or somesuch, its probably on the backside of something from where you are.

the map points tend to be a little vague in origin. look around for a rock formation or somesuch, its probably on the backside of something from where you are.
Don't bother going in to Bruma Caverns.. Not much there except some old books :shrug:

If you've "found it" on your map just fast travel to the location and it will put you right in front of the door.

I finished last night. :pickle: :hifive:

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

All 4 guild quests completed, Arena Grand Champion.

I didn't bother with the daedric quests.

Major Spoilers and a question about the end:

So, I got Martin all the #### he needs, went into the portal to Paradise and smacked the tar out of Camoran Mankor I went back and led Martin around to the Elder Council Chambers until he went to go fight Mehrunes Dagon and turned into the dragon and kicked his ###. Very cool cut scene. But, I am shuked/disapointed that the game does not end here? You get the cut scene but now I have to wait two weeks for my dragon armor? I can just kick around and cave dive now? Going on a quest to kill fish or find some ####### potatos is pretty anitclimactic at this point. Why wouldn't it just "end" ?

I guess I need to go get some skooma and hookers. :thumbup:

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

So, I got Martin all the #### he needs, went into the portal to Paradise and smacked the tar out of Camoran Mankor I went back and led Martin around to the Elder Council Chambers until he went to go fight Mehrunes Dagon and turned into the dragon and kicked his ###. Very cool cut scene. But, I am shuked/disapointed that the game does not end here? You get the cut scene but now I have to wait two weeks for my dragon armor? I can just kick around and cave dive now? Going on a quest to kill fish or find some ####### potatos is pretty anitclimactic at this point. Why wouldn't it just "end" ?

Answer:
Because it gives players a chance to finish all the Guilds and other side quests? I know that, in San Andreas, after the main story line ended, they allowed you to tie up whatever side quests you had not completed yet. That game never "ends" either. I like it, personally, but I wish they did something where after you 100% the game, they "end" it then. But alas, I'm not a video game maker.

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

Answer:
Because it gives players a chance to finish all the Guilds and other side quests? I know that, in San Andreas, after the main story line ended, they allowed you to tie up whatever side quests you had not completed yet. That game never "ends" either. I like it, personally, but I wish they did something where after you 100% the game, they "end" it then. But alas, I'm not a video game maker.
Yeah, I can see that. But I'm OCD enough that I feel like I'm missing something without complete closure.

I finished last night.  :pickle:   :hifive:

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

Major Spoilers  and a question about the end:

So, I got Martin all the #### he needs, went into the portal to Paradise and smacked the tar out of  Camoran Mankor I went back and led Martin around to the Elder Council Chambers until he went to go fight Mehrunes Dagon and turned into the dragon and kicked his ###.    Very cool cut scene.    But, I am shuked/disapointed that the game does not end here?  You get the cut scene but now I have to wait two weeks for my dragon armor?  I can just kick around and cave dive now?  Going on a quest to kill fish or find some ####### potatos is pretty anitclimactic at this point.    Why wouldn't it just "end" ? 

I guess I need to go get some skooma and hookers.  :thumbup:
Answer:
Because it gives players a chance to finish all the Guilds and other side quests?  I know that, in San Andreas, after the main story line ended, they allowed you to tie up whatever side quests you had not completed yet.  That game never "ends" either.  I like it, personally, but I wish they did something where after you 100% the game, they "end" it then.  But alas, I'm not a video game maker.
Yeah, I can see that.  But I'm OCD enough that I feel like I'm missing something without complete closure
146 hours doesn't get you closure? That's a pretty good testament to how deep this game is.

Got Azura's Star and am trying to figure out how to use it. I cast (Lesser) Soul Trap, kill a bandit, and get a message that "I don't have a large enough gem for this soul" or something like that. That seems hard to believe, so I'm wondering if I'm just casting a spell that's too weak. I put all my other soul gems away (bought the Benirus Manor in Anvil - I like an ocean view) in an effort to make sure I used the Star, but no luck.

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

So, I got Martin all the #### he needs, went into the portal to Paradise and smacked the tar out of  Camoran Mankor I went back and led Martin around to the Elder Council Chambers until he went to go fight Mehrunes Dagon and turned into the dragon and kicked his ###.    Very cool cut scene.    But, I am shuked/disapointed that the game does not end here?  You get the cut scene but now I have to wait two weeks for my dragon armor?  I can just kick around and cave dive now?  Going on a quest to kill fish or find some ####### potatos is pretty anitclimactic at this point.    Why wouldn't it just "end" ? 

Why didnt you do the Daedric Quests? The rewards are so much better than any of the guild quests.As to your question....the game is open-ended. What you just finished is the game's main quest, a quest like any other quest in the game. You can still go do the daedric quests, become a vampire, slaughter anything/everything, explore the towns/dungeons. If you want it to end,then dont play the character anymore.

I need to give it a little more of a run. Still no good new games on the horizon until September at the earliest.

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

So, I got Martin all the #### he needs, went into the portal to Paradise and smacked the tar out of  Camoran Mankor I went back and led Martin around to the Elder Council Chambers until he went to go fight Mehrunes Dagon and turned into the dragon and kicked his ###.    Very cool cut scene.    But, I am shuked/disapointed that the game does not end here?  You get the cut scene but now I have to wait two weeks for my dragon armor?  I can just kick around and cave dive now?   Going on a quest to kill fish or find some ####### potatos is pretty anitclimactic at this point.    Why wouldn't it just "end" ?  

I guess I need to go get some skooma and hookers.   :thumbup:
I'm concentrating on the main quest first and then will go back for the others. Should be fun, I hope, riding around being the big hero. I would think it has to make it easier to get people to co-operate and the baddies should be pretty easy at that point. Although I did do the whole Kvatch quest, god I hate those Imp things(forget their name offhand). I also just finished the part of the main quest where you get the 4th book. My lack of experience at these kinds of games really showed I think in those battles.

Last edited by a moderator:

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

I'm concentrating on the main quest first and then will go back for the others. Should be fun, I hope, riding around being the big hero. I would think it has to make it easier to get people to co-operate and the baddies should be pretty easy at that point. Although I did do the whole Kvatch quest, god I hate those Imp things(forget their name offhand). I also just finished the part of the main quest where you get the 4th book. My lack of experience at these kinds of games really showed I think in those battles.
Yeah, you may want to do some of the guild quests to get a little biut of skill/practice before you continue with the main quest.

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

Yeah, you may want to do some of the guild quests to get a little biut of skill/practice before you continue with the main quest.
I am playing as a battlemage so I was thinking last night about hitting the mage guild quests. Sound right?

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

I am playing as a battlemage so I was thinking last night about hitting the mage guild quests. Sound right?
That will be good, along with the fighters guild. both will allow you to learn your spells and increase your blade/destruction/whatever else skills. The Mages and Figthers guils will have no conflict/overlap, -- the only one that may get you into trouble (depending on the order you do them) is Dark Brotherhood quests may get you kicked out of the Mages guild. But even if that happens, you can get back in.

146 hours, level 34

Fame 108, infamy 62

That will be good, along with the fighters guild. both will allow you to learn your spells and increase your blade/destruction/whatever else skills. The Mages and Figthers guils will have no conflict/overlap, -- the only one that may get you into trouble (depending on the order you do them) is Dark Brotherhood quests may get you kicked out of the Mages guild. But even if that happens, you can get back in.
Thanks. I was able to get through but it was tough. I'm defintely leaning toward a break in the main and doing some guild work.

In the process of getting my Oblivion :nerd: on again after a couple weeks' layoff. I am into the main quest again and travelling to the MD shrine. How long is the main quest in comparison to the guild ones? Do you have to travel around and close butt-loads of gates, or is that just a side thing to do?

In the process of getting my Oblivion :nerd: on again after a couple weeks' layoff. I am into the main quest again and travelling to the MD shrine. How long is the main quest in comparison to the guild ones? Do you have to travel around and close butt-loads of gates, or is that just a side thing to do?
***Spoilers***You've probably seen the "Aid for Bruma" quest as part of the storyline....You can (but don't need to ) go around to all the other major cities and close their gate, then talk to the count/countess. They'll agree to send soldiers to Bruma. The more gates you close, the more help you get in a pretty big battle as you're waiting for a main gate to open so you can grab the last piece Martin needs for his "puzzle". I don't remember what the MD shrine is.

It's also hard for me to judge how much work was on the main quest, becuase I spread it out over the whole game and just did it slowly.

You don't need to close all the gates, just the ones that open up immediately outside of cities when you reach a certain point in the main storyline. Unless you need daedra loot or sigil stones its really a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread